Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo C70 Convertible - 2006 and Newer

Comments

• tsk1tsk1 Member Posts: 31
    Just a point of clarity, the rollout date for the C70 in the US has been the "Spring of 2006" since last summer!
  • hsmolinhsmolin Member Posts: 20
    The C70 demo car arrived at my dealer today, 8 days late. Drove over to see it tonight but test drives will not be scheduled until the weekend. Demo was black with the cream leather interior. Cream leather should be called off white.

First impression was that the car looks very classy and sophisticated. Definitely geared towards the baby boomer crowd which I am proud to be one of.

Someone had mentioned that the gas and brake pedals were very close together. I certaining agree and this may cause a problem if you are wearing wide shoes. I'm not joking the pedals are real close and I will pay attention to that when I have a test drive.

The roof looks great from the inside and out. You would never guess that this was a convertible without prior knowledge. The roof mechanism is quite fasinating and takes about the same time as my SAAB ragtop to open and close. When the top is down there isn't much usable room in the trunk. I don't know if I can keep a set of golf clubs in the car while the roof is down. This is important to me and could break a deal. My 2003 SAAB convertible held 2 sets of clubs with the roof down.

The C70 I ordered was originally scheduled to arrive 6/14 and now has been pushed back to 6/30. I not sure but I think more delays are likely.

I'll report back after my test drive and look forward to reading other peoples experiences.

This is the only convertible I'm considering so I'm going to the auto show tomorrow in New York to scout out sports sedans as an alternative if I decide against the C70. Now that's a long list of alternatives. :)
  • biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    I've been bugging the local dealer, still no sight of a demo on his lot. Anyone know of any dealers around No. Virginia that have them?

I test drove a Nissan 350Z yesterday - sweet! But nuthin' but troubles with tires and trannys posted on the 350Z threads here. So...back to the wait...
    Finally! The dealer got the car in today, got in touch with me, I went in for a test drive in the afternoon. Very nice car, but you know what - I wasn't as blown away as I thought I would be. Pros: Very comfortable and quiet. With the top down, but windows up, I could carry on a conversation. Felt very stable. Nice-looking interior, very simple and elegant.

The interior is very pleasant with top down, not too much turbulence inside. The Dynaudio stereo is fantastic, really a great sound system.

Cons: definite turbo-lag. That took some getting used to. My Maxima responds the second I hit the pedal; the Volvo has a bit of hesitation which was a little disconcerting. I tried out the back seat, and found it VERY difficult to exit. Maybe a younger, skinnier, more flexible person would have no problem. Also I make the mistake of doing this from the driver's side, it might be easier on the passenger side.

Brake had a weird sort of springy feel. They worked fine, just was different than what I was used to.

Trunk space with top down of course is adequate, though limited. I brought along my typical weekend bags and they fit ok, with a little room to spare.

Nit-picky thing, but could be annoying, was that I found the speedo and the information screen a little hard to read. I was wearing sunglasses, and that just about cancelled out the green lit time and temp. sign. The speedo and the other gauges are orange against black, and smallish type. I guess you'd get used to it, and it's not a deal-breaker, but I expected a little better graphics.

Dealer is asking full sticker, plus $250 advertising, plus $300 dealer processing fee. They have 8 slots, and have sold six of them. The car in the color combination I want is due to come in in September. So really, for me personally I'd be just as well off with OSD for fall delivery of an '07.

I certainly am still considering buying one, but I'm not as afflicted with "gotta have it-itis" as I thought I would be.
  • stanwictstanwict Member Posts: 60
    As above, my dealer got two in, one sold and one not. The one that isn't sold is black/tan and if was black/black like the one I will have on order I would have bought it on the spot. So we're in line with cash down for a '07 black/black, auto, leather, climate pkg and 18" wheels for not a dime more than MSRP+tax out the door. We will review the options list when all the info is released for the '07s and adjust as necessary.

This car will be an addition to our Silverado pickup and our '99 VW Cabrio (173k miles). So it will be a pleasure car for the most part for us. One thing for sure is if I hear one peep about problems with the tops on these things I'm walking away from it and will wait it out for another year.

This is a first for me: ordering a car that I won't get for six months or more but I think it's the right thing to do here. I want to see the bugs worked out on these things before I drop more than I've ever thought I would pay for a car in my life.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Congrats.

FYI, the 07 info is out, so check w/ your dealer.
  • cambrocambro Member Posts: 18
    i also recently drove a C70 here in the UK. my thoughts about the car are difficult to sum up in words but here's a go:

1) the engine is OK, but I didn't like the turbo lag & thought there was significant tourque steer when you "punch" the throttle. overall a good engine, but i think the car would be better served with the S60R engine.

2) stereo was awesome. except that it didn't have an aux/ipod port (which i've complained ad nauseum about already).

3) the top is a work of art & trunk space was adequate even with the top down (thanks to the load aid).

4) interior is handsome & smart. nav system is well done with joystick on the steering column.

5) car felt heavy & it is. it doesn't have the roadster feel of tearing around town in a cabrio, but then again it's not supposed to be that kind of car.

6) hated the clutch - felt rubbery & cheap.

7) C70 has high attention value - people were looking it over with amazement as i dropped the top on a sidestreet.

overall impression is that car is a great roadtrip cruiser & practical daily driver (if you choose AT or 6M but don't live in city). i've had some life events happen lately that take me out of the $40K car purchase range, so i pulled my order, but otherwise i think the car is a gem (this was tough as i got $5K off the MSRP through the military).

hope that helps & maybe i'll be back in the game for '07
  • jdsmith1985jdsmith1985 Member Posts: 5
    I too had been waiting patiently as the delivery date kept getting pushed back. I finally got a call yesterday morning that they had arrived this week, so I was able to go down and test drive and loved it. Few hours later, I was driving out of there with one of my own.
    (Black with Calcite Cream interior)
  • millenrmillenr Member Posts: 28
    someone mentioned that the calcite cream interior was more of an off-white. I was hoping for it to be more beige or darker than off-white. Your impression?
  • flheatflheat Member Posts: 46
    Anyone who does a substantial amount of driving with the top down is going to hate the maintenance on the calcite cream. I currently have an A4 Cabriolet with the tan interior (which is darker) and the leather looks like crap and all the black will not come out of the groves. The light color is pretty at the onset, but a cleaning nightmare.
  • yankees338yankees338 Member Posts: 28
    I went to the auto show in NYC yesterday with my parents and they both really liked the C70. My mom needs to replace her troublesome '01 Acura MDX and isn't quite sure whether she wants another SUV or to switch to a sedan or possibly convertible. I don't think my mom is ready to switch to something as small as a convertible but my dad is considering getting one in late Dec. or early January of '07 to replace his 99 TL (which has been great; much more reliable than the first year MDX we bought). Any feedback on the Nav System? I haven't heard or read much about Volvo nav. systems and they don't seem as popular of an option as in other cars. Also, has anybody received any quotes from dealers on lease prices?
    I went back to the Nissan dealer yesterday, test-drove the 350Z for a second time, and ended up buying that instead of waiting for the Volvo. Two very different cars; to sum up, the Z just grabbed me in a way that the Volvo didn't.

JDSmith, I'm curious as to where you live, that you were able to get your car right away without pre-ordering? (Or had you ordered your car, subject to an acceptable test drive?) Around here (northern Virginia), there is nothing available for immediate delivery. Earliest available was mid-July for a black one (I think), or late September for Celestial Blue with Cream.

Did your dealer charge you for advertising fee and so on? The dealer here wanted $250 for advertising fee plus $300 for dealer prep. And no negotiation at all on price, full list.

Anyway, for myself, I'll be keeping the Z for at least two years, I think, and maybe reconsidering the Volvo at that time.
    I am in the Atlanta area.
    I actually put a refundable deposit down back in February. I was told that I was the 3rd on the list at my dealership and they would be receiving a demo and 6 cars for sale before other dealerships because of a promotional plan they participated in last year. I wasn't able to do any sort of special ordering. So when the cars came in this past Thursday, I received a call and was able to come in and decide if I wanted one of them or not. If I had decided not to take one of the first six, I could've gotten my special order on June 15th (which was going to be black with black interior). I chose to take the cream interior. They were not able to negotiate much on the price. MSRP + window etching fee + destination fee + dealer prep fee
  • volvo_drivervolvo_driver Member Posts: 34
    jdsmith,
    congratulations on your new car. i hope you'll post again in a few days to keep us all informed on how you are enjoying your new c70.

i debated about ordering the black, but opted for another color... having not seen a black one in person yet, can you tell me if the black stone is a metallic or pearl finish or flat black?
    I have a special order in for the light blue with the calcite cream interior. Several people on here have indicated this interior is an off-white color vs. a beige. Now I am a little nervous because I don't want a white interior and the only other choice was the black, which I also don't want. what is your impression of the calcite cream - is it really a white interior?
    It is definately more of an off-white than a cream. The seats and about half of the door panels are this color, the rest is either black or gray. I think it really looks nice. Only time will tell how hard it is to keep clean. Living down here in the South, I wanted to stay away from the dark interior that seems to get so hot.
    I'm not really sure what the difference is in the blacks you listed. My wife gives me a hard time about not knowing different colors all the time. I'll ask her tonight and post her response.
    It is definately more of an off-white than a cream.
    Finally having complete a test drive of the C70, I believe that most of the test results from competent people on the net are accurate: 1) The 2.5T engine is adequate (but at 3700 pounds and 21/29 mpg), 2) It does have pretty pronounced torque steer and noticeable turbo lag (but not as bad as some Volvos), 3) The 18 inch wheels with the lower profile summer tires look good but drive too harsh and compound the inherent tire noise 4) The drivers space is more than adequate (at 6’4 – 225Ibs, I had my concerns), 5) the trunk is huge for a convertible with the top up 6) The Dynaudio stereo is the best I have heard to date, 7) The interior was simple, subdued and elegant ..great seats, steering wheel, console controls 8) The hardtop is superb, brilliant design, awesome headliner, 9) The front windshield boot still is a bit noisy but it is still very quite for a convertible, 10) the car in person consistently shows better than it does in pictures, 11) I believe that the C70 is the only convertible that actually looks as great with the top up as it does down. Each time I see a C70 they looked better and better.
    Great Car (Never Perfect) - Volvo Deserves Much Credit!!!!!
    Will you be buying one?
    Absolutely! We have an 2007 Model Oversees Delivery slot set! Barring delays September 2006!
    Oh, that should be fun! OSD would have been what I would have done (lots of subjunctive "would have's" in there!)

What color, options, etc. are you getting?
  • music287music287 Member Posts: 116
    My wife and I had a strong emotional response to the C70 when we saw it at the Cleveland Auto Show last month. Today, my local dealer called to invite me to test drive one. I am completely sold on the vehicle. First of all, I fit in it comfortably (though the rear leg room is almost nil with the seat all the way back. Secondly, the top is very well finished and works silently. (The dealer told me it was backed for 50K miles witht the option of 100K. No worries there.) Third, the six-speed manual should be terrific: good mileage and smooth like buttah. Finally, the interior has some panache: the center console kind of "floats" with space behind it. Neat! Be forwarned: expect to pay full MSRP and that includes OSD though you still get the two round trip tickets and a hotel stay. We want one!

Jay
  • 4runnerv8sport4runnerv8sport Member Posts: 5
    Congratulations on your 350Z biancar. I, too, am waivering on holding out for a C70 and have since drifted toward the 350Z Roadster or a low mileage SLK. Can I ask what you model you got and what you paid? There is a dealer here in Atlanta with an '05 Touring still on the lot, pretty nicely discounted (with $1,000 mfg rebate too). I'm REALLY torn!
    Sure. I posted practically a novella about it in the "Purchasing Strategies" topic! (Too long and I should have edited it better, too late now.) Also I've posted about the purchase in the "350Z" thread. If you want to discuss the Nissan specifically after this post please join the other Z-lovers there.

My car was also a case of a leftover 2005 model. It is Redline over black leather, Touring Roadster, with alloy wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport HP tires (a $1200 option), supplemental side air bags, automatic transmission, alumunimum kick plates, cargo net, floor mats, splash guards, trunk mat. Original list was just over $40,000, discounted asking price was $34,500 (on hang tag), I got them down to $33,500 very quickly, plus the next two sets of tires.

(The dealer offered the tires; this is a program that Nissan is promoting, and you have to have your car serviced at the dealer - ALL the scheduled services. For me, no problem, I would do that anyway. We've had our Maxima serviced at this dealer for the last six years.)

If you can buy an '05 for about that price, anywhere in the low to mid 30's, I'd grab it. Essentially the dealer is eating the first year's depreciation. An '06, with the options I got, would list at $41,375.

To compare to the C70 financial side of it, just to keep this on topic: The base list prices are almost identical, at around $38,000. Volvo options as I wanted would have brought it to around $43,000 (A/T, Climate Control, Premium package and park assist). Dealer wanted (and is getting) full list, PLUS $250 ad fee, plus $300 dealer prep. Nissan dealer: no ad fee, and $199 dealer prep. Plus tax, tags, and title, of course.

Thus the '05 Z-car ended up being about $10,000 less than the full price of the Volvo. An '06 Z would be closer to the Volvo price, just a bit less.

To compare the cars: Both cars have an easily retractable top that disappears under the trunk lid. No muss, no fuss, with either one. In the case of the Nissan, the top does not interfere in any way with the storage space in the trunk; in the Volvo it does, and that might be a nuisance. Both have (in my opinion, of course), an elegant look to them. Both are going to be high-quality products, I think.

Usable trunk space, surprisingly, is about the same in the Nissan as in the Volvo, and I preferred it because the trunk floor is completely flat, unlike the Volvo with the well in the middle.

The big difference is in the nature of the cars. The Nissan is a blast to drive. It hugs the road, it goes fast, you put pedal to the metal and she is GONE! 287 hp on high-performance tires will put a grin on your face if you've got a driver's soul at all. When you need to stop, you will stop, comfortably and securely. You will feel connected to the road.

The interior is elegantly simple, in a sporty way. Besides the tach and the speedo right in front of the driver, there are three gauges to the side, facing the driver, one being a multi-function computer with tire pressure monitoring, outside temp., speed, a stop-watch function, couple other things. Other two gauges are oil pressure and engine temp. There are some storage cubbies in the cabin, but no conventional glove box, so the area in front of the passenger feels very spacious.

The Nissan has some weight and heft to it, so I felt very secure and not blown around at all on the Beltway, with trucks whooshing by me. That was what I was most concerned about in thinking of a roadster. It's just not a problem, the car feels very grounded and secure.

Volvo: Gorgeous car, very high marks for style. But for me, the driving experience just wasn't there. It felt heavy and ponderous. The noticeable turbo-lag had me wondering when the car would respond to pressure on the accelerator. The brake pedal felt like there was a spring under it to make it bounce back. Handling was typical of a large-ish sedan - i.e., comfortable enough but the steering was light and nowhere near the pinpoint precision of the Nissan.

Of course the Volvo seats four people, so if you need that extra seat, well, that takes care of it.

But if you don't, if it's mostly you and some lucky passenger - well, I bought the Nissan with 72 miles on it, and it now has well over 200. I've been having fun - and that's just since Saturday!
    All options but the 18" wheels and navigation. Zanzibar Gold with calcite leather exactly what we saw at the autoshow!
  • cdk2cdk2 Member Posts: 19
    I have already ordered a C70 (see previous posts) but had never driven one until Monday. I agree with the previous posts...plenty of power, excellent sight lines, very smooth all around. Not much negative to say. I am certainly looking forward to delivery...which has been my major issue since I ordered the car in February. Late-July seems so far away.........
    ....sooner than you think! Now that you've driven one the waiting must seem more difficult.

For those still deciding - Warren Brown, car columnist for the Washington Post, in his on-line chat today said he'd be taking the C70 out for a drive this afternoon, probably down to the Shenandoah Valley. Look for a WP review sometime in the very near future. His column runs in the Sunday paper, and you can find it online at washingtonpost dot com.
  • mulligan101mulligan101 Member Posts: 12
    Is it true that the C70 shares the S40/Ford Focus/Mazda 3 platform? Does this trouble anyone looking at a 40-45k car?
    ... it shares the s40 platform, but why would that bother you? It's all the stuff they do with the platform that counts.

Economies of scale, why shouldn't they use it? Keeps the price within reach.

It certainly wasn't the shared platform that made me decide against it, it was the way it drove. But if you want luxury more than driving excitement, it's a beautiful car and purchasers I'm sure are going to be very happy with it.
    A platform is a blueprint, nothing more.
    How you construct that blueprint and what materials you use are the determining factors.
    The VW Phaeton costs $80,000, the Bentley Continental over $200,000 yet they share the same platform.
    The Toyota Camry can be has @ $22,000, the Lexus ES330 around $35,000 yet they share the same platform.
    So do the Honda Odyssey and the Acura MDX.
    To get back to the discussion at hand, the Mazda 3 weighs in around 2700 lbs, the S40 around 3100 lbs and the C70 around 3800 lbs. Clearly some significant differences in construction and materials between the 3 cars.
  • agarretttxagarretttx Member Posts: 8
    Picked up my C70 today - Silver Metallic with Quartz leather, Dynaudio, 18" wheels, bi-xenon lights - sweeeeetttt - It was scary when I put my $ down without seeing the car. Once I saw one a few weeks ago, I felt better - but still had never driven. Car came into dealer yesterday. I picked up today. The handling is amazing. It has plenty of power. I didn't push it hard - but was able to get to 90 mph with plenty of punch left. It had much better pick up than I expected also. It was a hard wait, but definitely worth it. It exceeds all of my expectations.
    Has anyone seen any Volvo C70's delivered to any dealer in the US other than Black or Silver. Although I have seen other colors at the autoshows, I would like to see other units prior to finalizing my OSD order. If you know a dealer that has any other colors please let me know the Name and Location of the dealer!

Thanks
    The only unique colors are Zanzibar Gold, which I haven't seen and Celestial Blue which I have seen.
    All other colors are on the rest of our lineup.
    FAIK, only Black and Silver demo cars were delivered.
    is the celestial blue the same light blue car that is seen in the early promotional videos we see on internet? I have ordered this color based on that assumption - I hope I am correct
    You are correct.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930
    Just thought I'd share the fact that I listed the C70 as the most significant vehicle in 2006 in the Edmunds Consumers Most Wanted poll. :)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• madon1madon1 Member Posts: 6
    The 2007 models won't be here in August. I was told the same thing and have been lied to throughout the process of delivery. I was told today the 2007 are not coming in until Dec, Feb or March of 2007. I stuck with the 2006 and held the dealer to their contract. You should contact the attorney generals office and file a complaint. Good luck... :cry:
  • madon1madon1 Member Posts: 6
    I've got lots of brochures. I understand some dealers received them and others did not. I ordered the celestial blue, but they could not deliver so am now getting the flint grey. I have seen the flint grey on another model of volvo. It's pretty. Also has the off black leather interior it will look hot if the dealer actually ever delivers. Suppose to receive on the 26 April at the latest. Will let you know what I think.
  • volvo_drivervolvo_driver Member Posts: 34
    I'm curious where you are located? I placed a deposit on a C70 in October and was told by the dealer I was no. 2 on the list and that I could expect delivery in March. The color I requested is Flint Grey/Off Black interior, fully loaded. In March I was told the delivery date slipped to July. I've been patient because I really like the car. But now I'm beginning to feel a bit jerked around... based upon what I have read here, I believe the dealer has been less than up front and I feel like it is I who must always reach out and request information regardless of the significant deposit they have held for over 6 months. It is disappointing that my enthusiasm for this car has never been met with a similar appreciation from the dealer. Customer service on this transaction has been the lowest I have experienced and it will be my third Volvo from this dealer. Thankfully the deposit is refundable (as I have in writing) should I decide to throw in the towel.
  • flheatflheat Member Posts: 46
    I just got back from my test drive of the generic silver demo and found myself less than impressed. I currently have a 2003 Audi A4 cabriolet and made the following comparisons: Pro Volvo-comfortable seats, smooth lines, awesome dynaudio, the cornering was better than I expected (not as good as my Audi) um, that's it. Cons: lazy engine with turbo lag (keep in mind I am used to my 3 year old 178HP, and found better response). Terrible wheel noise (may be worse due to 18"), With the top up and down my Audi is surprising quieter. The engine has a soft pinging noise that I would have to get used to. I notice the steering wheel bobs all over the place with every little blemish in the pavement. With the top down I was aggravated with the rear seatbelts flapping, I pulled over and made sure they were in their clips, but still could hear them flapping. The fit and finish around the top to the body was mismatched. The black rubber did not match and already had embedded waterspots that we tried to wipe out. There is only one way to lower the top (I can also lower the top on my audi through the door lock). I thought all the lockable storage areas (glove box, side compartments locked when you locked the doors, but you have to lock the glove box to do this). I hated the finish of the headliner, it looked like tent canvas (my Audi is finished off nicer). The trunk with the topdown is essentially useless, I know I would be annoyed with the extra 20 seconds it would take to push the button to raise the panels in order to get access and then push the button again to lower--that just is not practical-and don't even think about getting the optional spare. Personally I did not like the high window sill (I like driving with the left arm on top of the door). I found the "garage door" on the cup holders to look out of place and cheap in the car. So with that, I rescinded my deposit that the dealer has had for 5 months. I have placed a deposit on a 2007 VW Eos. I test drove a Jetta with the same engine the Eos will have and I think this car will be more drivable for me than the Volvo. I also prefer the interior and prices are to come in 5-10K less than the Volvo. (I will have to get used to the exterior, but for me the drivability is more important) If I don't like the Eos, I will get the restyled 2007 Audi A4 Cabriolet. If only the Audi had Volvo's hardtop, my decision would have been easier. Good luck to all on your C70's, sorry I won't be part of this family.
    ...were much the same as mine. Car seemed much better on paper and in the pictures than it felt to drive.

I ended up with a red 350Z, and love it. Never thought I'd own a roadster, but one drive in it had me thinking; test drove the Volvo the next day, had much the same less-than-awed impressions that you had, went back to the Nissan the day after that and bought my fun-mobile.

Freedom of choice: what a great concept! ;-)
    I just test drove the demo C70 with leather, 18" wheels, upgrade audio. I have a C70, loaded (except for 18") for delivery in July - confirmed today. Anyway, my thoughts were similar to yours, but I liked the car. I am going to get a convertible with some room, which leaves me with either the C70 or the Saab 93 or Audi A4. The C70 has them beat on interior space. Next is noise level. I was disappointed in the amount of road noise with the top up, but I was comparing to what my wife normally drives - a Lexus GX470, which is probably not fair. Still better than the Jeep Cherokee that I drive and easy to carry on conversation. Next with the top down, windows up and cruising on interstate at 80 - not bad at all. Again, easy to carry on conversation without raising voice at all. The stereo system was outstanding in all situations. I have not had a small car to drive in some time, so it will take a while to get to not sitting up high. Not used to the small windows lower visibility, but with the top down, there is not an issue. The seats are really comfortable, better than I expected and the handling was good - so very comfortable drive.

For issues, I too was annoyed by the high door well - I could not put my arm on the door sill easily or comfortably. Thinking about it later, it would be a problem if the air bag was to suddenly pop in an accident and you had your arm on the door sill. The interior was sparse - nothing really fancy at all, but well done. While the front seats had very ample room, the back seat will still be a challenge for some. Seems the passenger front seat has a lot more room and the back seat passenger behind this person should be OK - but not the driver side.

Anyway, some good and some bad. Since I am determined to get my first convertible - this one fits the bill the best of the ones I have looked at and I can't wait.
  • empty1empty1 Member Posts: 109
    Does anyone have a confirmed idea when the 2007 (not 2006) models will be delivered in the States. I have heard everything from this July/August 2006 to January 2007 forward. Appreciate if someone has the inside scoop. :confuse:
    I have the "inside scoop" and I don't have a confirmed date for 2007 cars.
    Figure the earliest is Sept.
    The 06's are coming in July and August.
    So late Sept to Oct is the most likely time.
  • klb1klb1 Member Posts: 3
    Well was at the dealer last week looking for my next Audi and the delivery truck drove up with a few new cars to include this lone Black C70 surprise for the dealer. Needless to say it drew my attention away from my Audi shopping. The dealer said as soon as he posts this C70 it will be gone. All that he has on order are already spoken for by customers and were months out from anymore deliveries and as for any others they are still few and far between getting many more coming in 2006. Well after the test drive I was sold. It truly is different than the Audi I must agree. Most definitely a different type of car and driving experience. It is noticeable looser, it has more road noise but the overall characteristics from the design, handling qualities, performance and ergonomics to include reliability and safety features combined into a very impressive package. As of this past monday I took delivery of that C70. Its black with the light cream leather. I am not a black car or a light color leather kind of person but I have to admit it does look very nice!!! After having about 150 miles on it here is the summary and again its consistent with some of the evaluations posted already.
    -The 2.5T engine is quiet and doesnt have quite the get up and go put it is very respective considering the cars weight and the 21/29 mpg.
    -It has torque steer and turbo lag but again weight of the car and mpg performance take your mind of the little things.
    - The 18 inch wheels and lower profile tires are sexy and it drives as if you were on rails on the smooth pavement but drive on an uneven interstate or rutted side street and you'll have both hands on the wheel keeping it tracking on your intended course.
    -The trunk has plenty of room for a convertible with the top up and with the top down and you can get one golf bag into that remaining 7 cubic feet.
    -The Dynaudio stereo is quite nice and very easy to operate. Sound quality very impressive.
    -The drivers cockpit is very ergonomic, seats very comfortable, interior is well laid out, simple, and the steering wheel very comfortable.
    - Console controls again very impressive and simple.
    -The hardtop is quite the engineering feat and looks nice from the inside and out.
    -Overall the look of the car in most impressive in person, the driving experience is different but with all the design features, and as mentioned performance and comfort and how about those looks !!!

As much as I like the Audi's I am very happy and impressed with everything about this car. Mind you yes it has noticeable differences that one could say are less of an attribute than what an Audi or another car offers but again I think the overall end product/system that Volvo has put together here in the C70 makes for a very impressive total package.

Volvo......Impressive Car!!!
    Is there a perfect car out there? I think Volvo came very close to answering that question with the C70.

For those of you that weren't as lucky as I and will have to wait for yours to be delivered.
    I think you will be happy, its worth the wait.!!!!
    Glad you're enjoying your new car. That's what it's all about!

Was this the dealer's would-be demo that he sold you? Odd that some dealers are selling their demos.
  • laxdadlaxdad Member Posts: 12
    Ordered a C70 in Nov 05. Loaded Silver/black. Delivery promises (March/April/May) have all been missed. Now the story is that orders with navigation system are on hold due to design issue. If don't build within 3 weeks then model year is over - and I am cancelling the order. Asked to delete option and build the car and was told order was locked and would then have to wait until October / November to get an 07. What a mess. Has Ford fingerprints all over. Has anyone on here taken delivery of a car with the navigation option?
    We have several C70's on order w/ Nav. No problems.

However, there never were ANY C70's available for delivery in the March/April/May period, except for the store demo's.

All the 06's were delayed.
    The earliest that customer cars should appear is June.
    If your dealer has a car ordered for you, he should be able to show you the CIS report, this will give the approx date of arrival.
    I test drove the demo 2 weeks ago and checked up on my order. It is also loaded with everything except the 18" wheels. I had the dealer show me the status on the computer and it showed delivery between June 30 and July 6. I could also not make any changes as it had started production already. The dealer told me the same thing on timing - plant shuts down in June to be retooled for 07 models and would start back up mid-August or early Sept. He would not place an order for an 07, since there was no delivery times set yet and he did not want to upset customers with an order without clear information on delivery. He expected 07's in Dec - Feb delivery; but that was just a guess. I check with him every 2 weeks to see the status or my 06 and it has not slipped estimated delivery in last 5 weeks.
This discussion has been closed.