Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo C70 Convertible - 2006 and Newer

Comments

• volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Scottsdale AZ
  • stanwictstanwict Posts: 60
    Got the call from my dealer yesterday saying ordering for '07 is opening and we need to firm up my order and get it in (I've had a right to place an order contract order and deposit in since mid April). I'm now waffling on 17" or 18" wheels. My original though was 18" because the look so good but then I got thinking tire replacement cost would be very high. Some of you must think this is crazy to consider when paying $40K+ for the car but I'm just trying to keep the costs down.

I just checked w/ that big on-line tire retailer and it seems I can get 17" or 18" replacements for about the same cost. I'm in the north east and the plan is for the car to be parked during the snow months. If I go 18" then there are only two choices for those snow months: park it or buy winter wheels and tires. I've even seen a sticker on the dealer demos to that fact too. Maybe going 17" saves me from buying winter rims?

Anyways, I think I answered my question while typing this and will go 18" and buy wheels and tires if necessary (because I can switch those on my own where switching tires requires a visit to the garage) but I'd still like to hear some other thoughts.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,226
    you definitely want dedicated rims as switching the tires on the stock rims every 6 months just increases the chance that they can get scratched/scuffed in the process.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• asjaasja Posts: 22
    It's personal preference. I've seen photos of cars with both wheels, and I thought both looked nice. In the end the 18" wheels weren't worth $1000 to me, so I ordered the standard 17". I know many people really love their wheels, but I think the 17" look nice too.
  • laxdadlaxdad Posts: 12
    I am driving my car year round (midwest) so went with the 17's. Have not seen a car in person with 18", but there sure is not much wheel well space with the 17's that would make the 18's look better.
  • burghburgh Posts: 17
    I went with 17" wheels because of believe that the ride quality will be softer.
    Good response. I agree that both look great and I'd rather keep the "G" in the bank. Thanks.

So new question, do I get the stereo upgrade or not? I wasn't going to originally but I just saved money on the wheels. :)
  • biancarbiancar Posts: 913
    I test drove a C70 with the Dynaudio stereo, and it was great. If you care about listening to music at all, I'd get it. It sounded very nice with the top either up or down.
    The demo I drove at the dealer had the Dynaudio in it, and it sounded great. I wavered too, but ordered it anyway, because I'd like to have a nice stereo. Depends on if you'd listen to it, but I also don't know what the regular stereo sounds like. Maybe the regular stereo would be fine until you put the top down, I really don't know. Since this is a new car, the dealer didn't know either.

I was wavering on the park assist, just because any kind of damage on the rear of the car would screw up the double hinged truck lid and the top mechanism.
  • blamb3blamb3 Posts: 41
    I ordered the park assist. I would think that it is a small investment for the $$$'s a rear end collision will cost. While it won't guarantee that I'm not at fault, it at least minimizes the possibility. I think it's a small price to pay.
  • laxdadlaxdad Posts: 12
    Have been driving my C70 for about a week. Money on stereo upgrade is worth it.
    I went to the dealer yesterday and finalize my '07 order (I've had a "contract" and a $100 deposit on an '07 for a month or two now). I dropped the 18" wheels and didn't upgrade the stereo. I'm happy enough that the '07s will come with an audio input jack and CD-ROM based MP3, both new and standard for '07. Also new and standard for '07 is traction control. Anyways, I just couldn't justify the additional cash for the upgraded stereo. I have a lot of other places I can use that "G+" ya know. The waiting game continues for my black on black C70. I just got to be cool and wait. :shades:
  • millenrmillenr Posts: 28
    are there any special financing deals with Volvo on the C70 or any other incentives that anyone has heard of? I am still scheduled to receive my C70 in July and am starting to check for financing deals.
    No deals of any kind on the C70.
  • tsk1tsk1 Posts: 31
    After several weeks of placing our final order for an OSD of our 2007 C70 (Order and Deposit for a September slot was made in November), our dealer did come back with a 'confirmed pickup date' of September 7th. We anticipated written confirmation from Volvo within a few days but it has yet to arrive! How long does it typically take to get the order packet (with travel)?? Has anyone received written confirmation and travel info from Volvo on a 2007 C70 via OSD???
  • cdk2cdk2 Posts: 19
    Wow !! That is unbelievable....

I ordered my 2006 C70 in February, had delivery dates delayed by over 3 months, and am not currently scheduled to get my vehicle until July 27 (subject to change, I am sure, without further notice). I could wait 6 weeks and get a 2007 C70 thru OSD....

All I can do is shake my head (and wait.....) and wonder what the heck is going on at Volvo.
    We have not received our confirmation packet either, but we have been assured that we have a car that will be completed in the end of September. I just asked our dealer that today, and he told me that the woman at Volvo North America who does this for the east coast, is in Sweden for the Ocean Race and they know the packets are late.

I hope you get yours soon also,and have a nice trip. What did you order?
    We were told that all OSD cars are now sold out until next year (first quarter 2007). All domestic delivery cars are also sold out until next year. The factory is supposedly closed in July, so presumably your car is being made in June, and the extra time is for delivery. I'd rather have them take the time to make sure everything in production is worked out, so I don't have manufacturing defects in my car. I doubt they want to annoy so many people by delivering late.
    As mentioned in an earlier post, I went in on Saturday the 17th to finalize the purchase and dropped the 18" wheels from my order. Got a call today and looks like they entered the order for my car right when the ordering period opened for '07s. The bad news is (what I'm told) the order is entered and locked and can't be changed now because it's scheduled for early production and the good news is I might see my car in September - but I'm not holding my breath. :)
  • tsk1tsk1 Posts: 31
    Our order is for a Zanzibar Gold C70 with Calcite Cream Leather (colors that we would have never even considered if we hadn't seen it an autoshow), Geartronic, Dynaudio Package, Premium Package, Climate Package, Bi-Xenon Headlamps, and Park Rear Assist. We had wanted the Keyless entry system, but were informed that availability could delay delivery! Please let me know when you receive your packet!
    I have already detailed the saga of my C70 order (placed back in February)and how the delivery date has changed from May, to June, to July 27. I was amazed they were able to pinpoint July 27, so I felt fairly confident that this would be the last delay....

Unfortunately, I received another email from my dealer (only after I sent him one asking for an update) that was quite disappointing:

"As of today, your car is on the production line. (It has a VIN # XXXXXXXXXXXX).Next the C70 will go throught quality control, than on to shipping. It has a dealer ETA of late August at this time, but I know Volvo is trying to have all C70's shipped by mid july. I know you would like to be in the car today, which is what we want too!
    I will email you when the car has been loaded on the boat and then when it has arrived at the port."

It does not sound overly promising for me having it by July 27 anymore. I have been told (by this same dealer, and other people) that Volvo basically shuts down in July for "holiday"...I would think my car would have to ship beginning of July at the latest.

Has anyone had similar delays in promised delivery times? I am beginning to think Volvo (at least this dealer) has purposefully not disclosed true dates of delivery for fear of making people reconsider if they want to wait, and perhaps look at other models, or just wait for 2007s to be in the showroom.
  • cdk2, where are you? your story is very similar to mine, although I am still under the impression my car is on a boat and arriving at port this week? I'd better call to make sure...
    AFAIK all the 06 C70's are either built or finishing production at this time.
    If your car is in FC(factory complete) status then it is awaiting final quality check and shipment to the port in Gothenburg.
    Once it reaches port and is loaded on a ship it takes approx 3 weeks to get to the east coast and 5 weeks to get to the west coast. Once there the car has to go thru customs and then thru any port upgrades that Volvo specifies.
    If you live in the east then it is possible to get your car by the end of July, but it may leak into early August,
    I am in Lancaster, PA
  • I've been following this chat room since its inception, never letting the move back dates deter me...until now. I had been told multiple times that late July was firm. Now even volvomax is saying that it may "leak" into early August. :mad: If its early August for the east coast, what will it be for me in Kansas City? I spoke with my dealer today and he was very evasive. Said he'd get back today then never called. The Sweedes have a lot to learn if they are going to make it here. In America, your word is your word and when you go back on it (especially multiple times), you have to make concessions or you will lose customers. Consider me one of them. If I don't hear anything tomorrow, I am going to get a Mercedes convertible. A bit more, but I'll get it for less than MSRP and it is ready now.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,226
    The Sweedes have a lot to learn if they are going to make it here.

Strange statement. You don't think they are new to the market, do you?

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

There is no such thing as a "firm" date when ordering a car from overseas. There are simply too many variables that cannot be controlled.
    Even cars with normal production schedules can't be promised on a specific date.

If you truly cannot wait, the Mercedes is a nice car. More expensive, even with a discount and still using the old soft top.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,606
    "In America, your word is your word and when you go back on it (especially multiple times)..." Politicians excepted, of course! :blush:

If you can wait, the hardtop convertible market will heat up with the BMW 3 and Lexus IS a coming... Not to mention the VW Eos and Pontiac G6. Ok, the G6 may not be as desirable as any of the others, but it's a hardtop...

Also, if you're willing to buy a soft top, your choices go up exponentially including Audi A4, Saab 9-3 (Sweedish!), BMW 3, Mustang, Eclipse...

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• empty1empty1 Posts: 109
    Max -

I know you are a Volvo dealer but you appear to be a very legit guy. How would compare the SAAB 9-3 (2007 model) with the C70 (2007 Model).. Like to hear from someone in the know.. Thanks :surprise:
  • heymjoheymjo Posts: 8
    Do you or does anyone know the projected introduction date of the BMW and the Lexus IS hard top convertibles? I may want to wait, but would like to get an idea of how long the wait might be.
This discussion has been closed.