Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo C70 Convertible - 2006 and Newer

Comments

• johnh7johnh7 Member Posts: 67
    Styling is always subjective. Volvo's have never been a style car, but they've improved over the past few years.

I ordered this car because I happen to think it looks great and has a classic look that won't tire in a year.

I didn't buy it for high end performance or value. You seldom get value paying sticker price and it's not a BMW. We all know this is the reality.

Styling, safety, a usable rear seat and THE GIMMICK e.g the retractable hardtop were the factors that attracted me. It's clearly a niche market. I get mine in Dec

Saw a white one with light interior zipping around town yesterday - top down, taking advantage of an unusually beautiful Oct day in the Northeast. I thought it looked great.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    i agree, the c70 is a great looking car. as i've stated before, i think its better looking than the Eos, that's for sure.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• empty1empty1 Member Posts: 109
    Curious how many folks are getting Sirius with the '07. I understand there is a new audio configuration for the '07's verus the '06s which allows for Sirius and Ipod connection... does anyone have an interior pic of the new audio config.. thanks
  • jtregojtrego Member Posts: 68
    My understanding (and maybe Max can clarify) is that only the 07's (starting with october production this month) have the option for factory installation. Does anyone that has their 07 c70 have the Sirius option?
    I couldn't agree with you more on the NY times article. My wife read that as well and came to the conclusion that I did..the guy obviously hates Volvo and the whole concept of a retractable hard top convertible. Living in the mountains of Western Virginia, I would never even consider a convertible with a rag top. They cheapen the look and when you have to drive in cold weather 50% of the year why buy a car that you can only drive comfortably half the time. volvo, so far, has the best package in this style when all factors are compared. VW will sell more because of lower cost and greater availablility. Thanks for the incredible pics.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    We have delivered a couple w/ Sirius already.
    Prod started in July for Sirius.
    The aux port is located behind the center console. STD on all 07's.
    The sat radio is part of the factory unit, so the dash doesn't look any different than the 06.
    Max - Has volvo fixed the barking /whirlig noise from the AC in the '07s?
    We haven't had any complaints.
  • stanwictstanwict Member Posts: 60
    Below is what I'm talking about regarding the door handle:

This is me in my typical driving position which isn't comfortable because of the door handle thingy:

The auxiliary audio input location:
    image">
  • johnh7johnh7 Member Posts: 67
    You need to get the Volvo left elbow pad accessory. It comes in white, grey, red and black, has the Volvo logo on it and costs only $1500 :)
    did you get the windscreen.. do you need it? I found that there is little wind in the front seats. Are the seats slippery (like the S60) or are they soft leather which I prefer
  • armerbarmerb Member Posts: 2
    I have had my C70 in the shop 3 times now because of intermittent failures of the windows and door locks. The dealership has experienced the failure while it was in their shop, but could not determine the cause after reviewing the computer analysis. The "Tech Line" suggested they replace the Driver Door Module (DDM). The next time the "Tech Line" suggested they spray the electrical connectors with dieelectric grease. I guess they were out of Magic Fairy Dust. Now on its 3rd visit to the dealership in a few weeks, my little undependable C70 has been visited by the local Volvo Field Technician, who did another computer analysis, with no definitive results. The dealership said the "Tech Line" people and the Volvo Field Rep. did not know what to do and they are waiting for an answer from the Engineering staff in Sweden. Has anyone else experienced this problem... YET !!! Thanks for any references.
    I am sorry to hear you are having electrical problems, but appreciate the feedback on the car. Ours is due in December but reliability issues have me concerned. I think my biggest issue is that there just seems to be so much variability in the kind of problems the car experiences. If it was always the roof or always the brakes or always the rattling in the Ac then one could expect that this was a design or parts problem, but that has not been the case. All the problems are so different. I know others have said that most of the problems with Volvos are minor, but I don't consider the oil running out of the engine, the locks and windows not working or the car not starting minor problems. Especially when there is not a quick fix or when Volvo can't determine the cause of the problem. Let us know how things work out.
  • mvnmvn Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone had problems with the heater blowing cold air? The issue happened a couple of times, but seems to only affect one side at a time. I had the heat temp set to high for both the passenger and driver and still nothing but cold air from one side (usually driver's side). It also didn’t mater if the auto climate was on or off.
  • mvnmvn Member Posts: 5
    I took the car back in for the third time and was told that the noise is from an air recirculation event programmed into the system and is supposed to do this oscillating movement that is making this noise. The service report reads that the tech inspected and found normal accuation from climate control regulators.

I emailed Volvo NA with the issue.
  • erisamanerisaman Member Posts: 99
    Although located in the UK, I have been following your forum for some time and would like to offer my thanks for two aspects – firstly the support you offer one another, without the backbiting I’ve seen on previous Mercedes (UK) forums, and secondly, without overlooking ALL the helpful comments, I reckon you (we) are fortunate to have a godfather in our midst in the form of Volvomax.

So – a brief word on the situation over here. The C70 was released in the UK on April the 6th and, until recently, any talk of discount was laughed out of the showrooms. Now there are hefty discounts appearing on-line with lead times said to be down to 6 weeks. Bear in mind that the UK is being allocated 3000 units per year out of a total build of 16,000. This latter total has recently been ramped up to 20,000 pa.

We have four trim colours available – Cacoa Brown being the 4th - and three engine options. I’ve ordered the T5 with auto, finished in Silver with Calcite – a combination not favoured overly much but one featured on the Motorart 1/18th scale diecast model and one I personally like. My choice of car was the middle of the price range (I’m a music Philistine and didn’t go for the Dynaudio pack) with Xenon lights, Heated Seats and Reverse Aid.

Finally – re the 18” wheels versus the 17”. Like some of your contributors I liked the appearance of both wheels, so cosmetics, as such, were not an issue. The 18” Mirzams cost £500 UK pounds more – about $700(??) so I was sceptical. The ride difference was evident but what swayed me to the 18’s was the fact that, looking solely at the wheels/tyres, I felt the 17” tyre appeared ‘sedan-like’ whilst the 18” tyre looked sportier. That’s right – the tyres swayed it, not the wheels.

Sorry to have taken so much space – but have to wish stanwict good luck from now on – I really felt for the guy when reading of his anticipation, the realisation – then his gut wrenching discovery. Best wishes to all.

P.S. Loved the Celestial Blue but found it looked 'dull and dowdy' under UK cloudy skies - not an issue in your sunnier climes.
  • lemennlemenn Member Posts: 89
    I got mine on Saturday.

I placed my order on June 24th 2006 and got it October 14th 2006.

In France we have 4 choices for the engine, one being a 2.4 turbo diesel which is the one I took after testing all of them.

I took the celectial blue with light grey interior and brown cacao leather.

I already drove more than 400 miles this week end and love the car.

I will give some comments later but first:

Here are some pictures.

C70 from side

My C70 Summum D5

C70 interior left side

C70 interior from the left side with the wood steering wheel options and other wood options

C70 interior right side

C70 interior from the right side

C70 top down from the back

C70 top down from the back with brown cacao interior

C70 interior brown cacao

C70 interior and brown cacao seats

C70 back with engine type removal option

C70 from the back with engine type removal option

More later...
    Thank you lemenn - your pics prove my point exactly, the Celestial Blue looks stunning, and the wood trim steering wheel is just what I've specified also. You must be well pleased - good luck.
  • blamb3blamb3 Member Posts: 41
    Volvomax, do you know why we are not given an option of wood trim here in the States? The posted pictures of the wood trim looked gorgeous to me. I also recall someone commenting on how hot the metal gets that is inserted in the steering.
  • flheatflheat Member Posts: 46
    What next, gold badging and some spinners? I don't think that color combination works at all.
  • tom007tom007 Member Posts: 40
    You say there are hefty discounts on the C70 in your country. What are some of the MSRP prices you paid in US dollars before the discount. I know in Australia, the car runs about $60,000 USD according to a prior post. How much more is the Turbo Diesel than the Regular T5 and how much without Turbo engine.

I have the celestial Blue with automatic and with Calcite Cream Leather and really think it is a looker as do all that see it so far.I went with 17" wheels as they are summer/winter tread and here in the states, the 18" came only in regular tread. I hear the 18" transfer more road noise. Let us know. Thanks!

Enjoy your new car and keep us posted on it after you have driven for awhile. Thanks for coming aboard in this forum.
    Thanks for the welcome, hope this is of use.

We have three levels of trim - the Sport (basic) the SE (middle of the range) and the SE Lux. I'll base the prices on the SE, which has the High Performance Audio (not the Dynaudio), leather faced seats and 17" wheels as standard.

The cheapest SE is the 2.4i (non Turbo) Sport with 5 speed manual box and comes in at 49,800 USD.

The T5 is the 2.5 Turbo with 6 speed manual and is priced at 55,900 USD - that's something like 16,000 dollars more than in the States?

The D5 has the Turbo Diesel but is only available with the Geartronic autobox and is priced at 55,700 USD.

The Geartronic is offered as an option on the other models and is priced at £1250 (GBP sterling) which equates to 2,300 USD - considerably more than the 1,250 USD quoted in your homeland.

The discounts being offered are up to £1,400 which equates to 2,600 USD.

There is a further charge of approximately £700 (1,300 USD) on all these cars, which covers delivery to the Dealership and our 'Road Fund Licence' - that latter alone amounts to 400 USD for the T5 Auto!

The 18" wheels do firm up the ride a bit but not overly so, and the steering does seem a little heavier although maybe I'm being a little pedantic about that. I can't say I've noticed any difference in road noise, but there again, I drove the cars in differing areas, taking the 18" wheels on inferior roads to check out the 'worst case scenario'.

I'm now in my 60s so I'm looking for safety and comfort - but the 18s still did it for me okay! My previous Jag XK8s both had 18s and my Merc CLK500 had 17s - the ride was harder in the Jags but softer in the Merc.

That Celestial Blue with Calcite has to be the dream combo for looks - but I'm sticking with the Silver (although my Dealer is pushing the Blue) simply because Silver looks good in any light.

Regards to one and all.
    empty1: I didn't get the windscreen and I personally don't think its needed.

jtrego "I don't consider the oil running out of the engine, the locks and windows not working or the car not starting minor problems."

I don't think any of these problems are isolated to the C70 specifically. My oil problem could have easily happened on an s40 or v50. The day people start reporting problems with the roof, then I'm going to get worried. I read about all kinds of problems with VWs but yet mine is the most reliable car I've ever owned.

lemenn That is an awesome looking color combo. Congrats! My wife saw a C70 here in CT that was black on black. What are the chances of that with the number of these cars being produced?

As for the 18" wheels, the car is stiff but turns like it’s on rails.
    I am not sure to understand your question stanwict as I have no way to know how many black on black C70 can be produced but probably you just wanted to express that such combination will be pretty rare.

Regarding first feedback on the car, I will not repeat all the pros and cons already stated but I confirm that I have the same problem as you with the door handle.

During all my test drives before purchasing the car I had already noticed it was difficult to find a confortable seat adjustment in order to have the left arm confortable.
    At this stage here is the procedure I used:
    First adjust the height for your arm to be confortable in height, then put the seat back as much as you can in order to have your legs being able to still go "full speed"... Having the gearbox it is easier for me because you don't need to push that much like with a clutch (after spending 8 years in California, I could not see myself coming back to the European way with a clutch...),
    then adjust the front seat height adjustment just to be confortable again,
    then adjust the inclination of the seat,
    then adjust the height and depht of the steering wheel accordingly,
    then adjust the mirrors,
    then push the M and 1 buttons to put everything in memory.

By doing this I was able to have my arm just behind the hole of the handle door. I am 5'7" tall.

For accessories, I took the front radar for easier parking and the windblocker. They have not been installed yet, but I am glad I took them. Yesterday coming back from work, I was driving top down, windows down at 65mph and even with the back seat belt placed in the plastic retainer, they were still flapping with the wind and making significant noise. With the windblocker this will not happen.

As far as the dog barking problem and little bird noise, during the week end something happenned.
    Top down with 4 people in the car we had some heating to have everybody more confortable. Then we put the top up and realized it was to warm inside, then I put the AC down to have cooler air.
    This is when it happen, I got some kind a whistle or wind whistling throught the vents. I did not like it.
    Rising the temp stopped the AC and the noise of course.

Few hours later I went throught the console menu section for all kind of customized adjustments. One section is about the AC and by default the position was on medium (this is about the strenght of the air blowing), I selected it on low and since then I did not get the whistling again.

I will try to reproduce the phenomena and will keep you informed.

Finally I have another little complain.
    During my test drive I noticed when you turn the steering wheel totally there is some kind of noise. The dealer told me it was the hydrolic steering mechanism. Anyway the noise is bad.

I have it on my new car. I don't know if it is because the car is new and needs some time to adjust everything but maybe volvomax can help on this one??? any advice?

The good points:
    I was testing a Nissan 350Z roadster and found it very inconfortable before I discovered the new C70. I felt in love with the car for the confort, luxury, and safety feelings.

I was last week at the Paris auto show and could also see the VW eos. For me there is nothing to compare, the VW does not play in the same category full stop.

I kept the baseline audio system and for me the quality is incredible and good enough for me.
    I am 5 feet 7 inches tall (170 cms).
    Well, the opinion is that the S40 sourced wood isn't nice enough for an up level car.
    Its a fake kit, if the came out w/ real wood it would look nice.
    Hum! first time I see volvomax at least partially wrong.

The steering wheel (€400/$500 option) is real wood.

The gearbox stick incrustation (€75/$93.75 option), the console and door handles incrustations (€0/$0 option)are fake wood.

Just to be accurate.
    Actually, I was speaking more about the dash that is sourced from the S40.
    The steering wheel is from the S60-XC90.
    Lets hope these problems are not isolated to the c70. But again, relative to other cars that are mass produced in high volumes, we have only seen a small sampling of the already low volume produced c70 have quite a few not so convenient problems. I don't know anyone ever to have the problem you had with any vehicle that is new or used for that matter. I am sorry you had to deal with that on such an expensive purchase.

your car looks great and I also hope there are no problems with the roof. I remember owning the first 1999 honda odyssey with the automatic doors. Had lots of problems with them, the contacts always needed cleaning to keep them working well. Our car should be here in December, so I am not trying to bash Volvo.

As other have posted, I don't even think you can compare the VW eos to c70. I think the C70 competes well with cars much more expensive in terms of styling and function. It gives up some on the ride and engine power, but I agree with those that have stated they are not looking for this to be a high performance car.
    Do you use your c70 as your primary vehicle to get to work and so forth or is it just for pleasure? If so, what kind of conditions do you drive in every day in terms of traffic, weather, etc..?
    jtrego Just a quick clarification, my comments on VW were based on my '99 VW Cabrio that I still have that has 185,000 miles. It has a very poor reliability rating from the "pros" and yet it's been the most reliable and problem free car I've owned.

jtrego I've been driving the C70 as my daily commuter so far. My commute is 86 miles round trip five days a week. Of the 86 miles, 18 miles is back roads and the rest is highway. It's mostly a straight shot with some stop and go traffic in a 1 mile stretch through construction that has been ongoing for years.
    And some of those poor ratings that we have access to don't always factor in how well (or how poorly) customers take care of their vehicles.

Okay thanks, I am glad to know others are actually driving the wheels off this car. The only person I know with a C70 seems reluctant to really "drive" his car. Perhaps because he got burned when it left him stranded when the ignition failed or maybe he just is petrified for it to get wrecked because it takes so long to get one! Who knows. Anyway, ours will be my wife's primary car to and fro to work and all so it will get a work out, but not quite as vigorous as your commute.
    Lemenn "The steering wheel (400euros/$500 option) is real wood."

Alarm bells rang when I read lemenn's response regarding the wooden steering wheel - especially it's additional cost. So, I checked with my Dealership and, after much searching, they reckon that it is a standard fit for UK cars. Our cars may cost 16,000 USD more than Stateside cars - but we get wood for free!

Now for a serious question - I'll give you the question and two theories, but the truth is, my Dealership doesn't know the answer! The little 'mushroom-type' attachment on the inner side of the front passenger head rest - what is it's purpose please? The Dealer laughed when I asked, and admitted that nobody knew for sure, but that one theory is that it is a jacket hook (a rather flimsy hook surely?) or that it is to do with the mobile phone systems in Sweden which utilise an extension earpiece - this extension hooking on to the side of the head rest. Hmm - a little unlikely I would have thought.

So Mr Volvomax - another teccy question needing your knowledge and expertise please.

P.S. Will have a firm delivery date for my car next Tuesday - anticipated January 1st but if it's at the Dealership in time, it can be taxed for delivery to me in time for Xmas. Now THAT would be a Xmas bonus!
  • flheatflheat Member Posts: 46
    jtrego, YES, you can compare the C70 and the Eos as I and others have done. Despite the $8,000 price difference I would still choose the Eos. I have the same luxury feel, better fit quality and all around better performance--these are not subjective. I traded in an Audi A4 cabriolet and I do not feel I have taken a "step down". In the forums, many Eos buyers were former Audi, Benz, BMW and Volvo owners. In addition, I have a huge sunroof, a more useable trunk and $8,000 in the bank. You also state: "I think the C70 competes well with cars much more expensive in terms of styling and function. It gives up some on the ride and engine power, but I agree with those that have stated they are not looking for this to be a high performance car." The C70 will NOT compete with higher end cars if they do not address its performance issues at $45,000 performance is an expectation--if VW can do it why can't Volvo? It all comes down to personal preference of the cars looks (subjective), but don't say they don't compete, because Volvo lost the competion to VW on this buyer who once had a deposit on a C70.
    erisaman:

In order to have price comparisons between countries:

In France we have also three levels of trim and as previously said 4 engines: prices are in euros
    1 euro = 1.25 dollar

Sorry for the format but I don't know how to do it better

Kinetic Momentum Summum
    C70 D5 180 ch Geartronic 39950 41450 45250
    C70 2.4L 140 ch 33900 35400 39200
    C70 2.4i 170 ch 36600 38100 41900
    C70 T5 220 ch ----- 42500 46300

Momentum is Kinetic +
    Haverdal seats
    Aluminium incrustations and central console
    electrochrome mirror
    rain detector
    4 lockable spaces
    Hook for groceries net (probably what people are wondering regarding the hook on the passenger seat)
    audio commands on the steering wheel
    back parking radar

Summum is Momentum +

Perle or Metallised paint
    bi-xenon lights and dynamic ajustment of the range
    high pressure cleaning lights
    17" Sadira 215/50 wheels
    full leather seats
    electrical and memorised adjustments for driver and passenger seats
    heated front seats
    external mirrors can be put along the body of the car electrically and they have lights
    Volvo alarm with movements and inclination sensors

I will provide options packs and pack accessories prices on request if somebody is interested.

These are prices all taxes included

In my case:

C70 D5 Summum 45250
    removal engine type on the back 0
    temporary spare tire 0
    wood steering weel 400
    fake wood incrustation gearbox stick 75
    fake wood incrustation console and handles 0
    windblocker + front radar 950
    registration papers 348
    Discount -1023
    Preparation of the car free

total 46000

As you can see I was able to negotiate a discount of €1023
    free preparation of the car and the dealership bought back my previous car €16300 (€400 above blue book value)

Even if I consider having obtained a reasonable deal it is still much more expensive than in the US... and I dont talk about gas/diesel price.
    Yes, that is a coathook. ;)
    Lemenn's comprehensive pricing structure shows that there are so many specification differences between countries, that it is difficult to make direct comparisons. The French Summum, for instance, appears to include Pearl or Metallic paint, plus Bi-Xenon etc - whereas all these remain as extras in the UK, even on the top-of-the-range SE Lux.

As with beauty - value is in the eye of the beholder and we each have to compare like with like in our own country. I, like most on this forum, chose the C70 because it offered me the value I sought here, never mind that our neighbours across the water get a different deal.

Thank you for your response regarding the groceries net - although I again query as to whether the hook would hold much in the way of weighty provisions.

I note that you specified the temporary spare tire (I thought I was being old fashioned). I recently hit an obstacle which ripped my tire - and there was no way a pressurised can with sealant inside would have got me up and running again, so, although losing precious boot space, I too have specced the spare tire.
    Thank you also - I may go as far as hanging a shirt on it! :)
    Since when is high performance defined by price? How do you define high performance? the Eos wouldn't meet my definition of that nor does the Volvo. You can spend 40k plus on an SUV or truck for that matter does that make it a high performance vehicle? There are other factors in cost that have nothing to do with "Performance" that may be more desirable or more important to a buyer. You have made your choice and are content...

In terms of competition,I think that the c70's lack of availability will certainly sway some to another vehicle because not everyone can afford or desire to wait so long and it gives the buyer absolutely no negotiating leverage. That is a huge factor for many folks.
    Actually, it does a good job hanging suit jackets.
    Just use the collar tab in the jacket.
    Thanks again, yes I'll do that if needs be - that's the problem with not actually having my own car to look at properly, I can't give the hook a close scrutiny in the showrooms with folk wondering what I'm looking at. You are obviously content with it's potential durability, and, if you are happy with it then, hey, I'm up for it! All I need now is the car and the right conditions to encourage me to slip my coat off.

I suppose we could now say that that lets the Volvo design team "off the hook!" (groan)
    Hi erisaman,
    Here is a picture of the famous hook!

C70 groceries hook

I confirm that it is very strong and you can hang whatever you want to this hook.
    I noticed the two external mirrors are slightly different.

The external mirror on the driver side has a little bump at the bottom, not the external mirror on the passenger side.
    Does anybody knows why?

Sorry for the bad quality photo.

external mirror on the driver side

External mirror on the driver side

External mirror on the passenger side

External mirror on the passenger side
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,777
    Temperature sensor?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    one is a boy.

;b

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

First a photo of the engine (2.4 liter Turbo -diesel)

D5 engine

Everything is nicely protected with plastic covers.
    I don't know what is long transversal metallic bar. Any idea?

Now here is the trunk:

Trunk with plastic cover down
    Trunk with the plastic cover down.

Trunk with plastic cover up
    Trunk with the plastic cover up. You can see the temporary spare tire, the cargo net and the red flippable triangle.

Roof in the trunk
    Roof in the trunk. Then if you push the yellow button.

Roof up in the trunk
    Roof up in the trunk.

Roof and plastic cover up
    Roof and plastic cover up. Don't expect to put much more than an attache case easily this way.

I tried many times to reproduce the dog barking and little bird noise phenomena, but could not have it again. I put the AC in the low, medium and high preset position. I went to lowest temperature, highest temperature. I tried head, body, feet selection zones. Nothing. Everything works fine. This is for now rather good news.
    Thank you again Lemenn, I will accept your word that the famous hook is strong - it's 'reputation' has now straddled the world.

With regards to your question - I am unable to help but I will be looking to see what answers you are given. This is almost like an addiction - I am becoming 'hooked' on this forum.

Good luck.

The metallic transverse bar - could that be the 'Rally Bar (Front Stiffener)' referred to by Volvo in their specification list?
    I must admit, that me too I like this forum very much and will try to help or answer questions as much as I can. I spent many hours reading all the messages silently until I got the car and now can participate actively even if most of the readers are probably in the USA an my car is not available in the states with my engine I still can provide usefull information I hope.
  • tsk1tsk1 Member Posts: 31
    I am interested in what kind of mileage you are actually getting on the diesel?
    After near 750 kms on the odometer,I am having an average of 7.2 liters/100kms.

Now for the americans it means after 470 Miles I am doing an average of: 32.7 miles/gal

With of full tank I shows an autonomy of 780 kms/487 miles
This discussion has been closed.