Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Scion Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• brazucabrazuca Member Posts: 95
    Hi Everyone. I'm in my early 30s and looking for a commute car to replace my current company car (changing jobs)!

I'll be driving ca. 35 miles each way to work and since I have a family, I need a car with some room and also character.

I have to tell you the truth, initially when I saw the xB I did not like them....but after looking at them "Zipping" into traffic I decided to investigate further and do a test drive. Final word, I REALLY liked the car !!

I'm in the Midwest by the way and I have a few questions to you guys that are already owners:

1- I'm having a hard time to find a manual transmission option to test drive. All dealers just have auto. How's the difference between them, is the manual really more "speedy" when driving in traffic ? What about driving the manual in the highway ? It seems the engine rev. at least @ 4,000 RPMs at 75 MPH when cruising in the highway, how's the noise level ? Acceptable ?

2- Did you have a Cruise Control installed aftermarket ? How does it look like and perform ?

3- The only option I'll add are the floor mats (which it should be standard) and the Front Strut Tie Bar, does anyone has experience driving with and without the Tie Bar ?

Dealers are telling me that 4 to 6 weeks waiting for the xB is normal.

Anyway, Thanks if anyone can help my decision.

My other car (wife's driving) is a Toyota Matrix AWD .... great car so far.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    1. Have a manual and it uses more power from the engine, but it is geared lower than the auto. Cruising at 75 the noise level is higher than say a Corolla. However, I never notice it because the radio sounds great to overwhelm road noise. Regardless of transmission, the xB is noiser in the rain. Personally, its a non-issue with me and I drive at least 60 per day with a max of 100 per day. One more thing about the manual, it has short crisp shifts.

2. I did not get that.

3. Make sure you get the floor mats and the cargo mat. I did not originally get the cargo mat, but later found out how cool it is. It really keeps things in place in the back. I have front strut tie bar and its awesome. The car handles wonderfully being a box. For example, if you are on the interstate, and a sharp curve comes up, you don't slow down, you just cruise through it.

I will suggest that you get two more options. One is Fog Lights. Not only does the front end of the car look better, they offer wonderful lighting. The second is the rear bumper applique. Its only 58 bucks and it protects your rear bumper.

I waited 2 weeks to get mind, but that was back in February. I would strongly suggest ordering and waiting for whatever model you choose to get so it comes already to your customization.
  • jimw0238jimw0238 Member Posts: 65
    my new auto just turned 1000 miles tonight. at 72mph i am only at 3000 rpms. i do not have the strut bar and it handles tight and very responsive. must be totally awesome with the bar!
    i had a 98' corolla before and i can tell you- in the mountains this thing will out corner and flat out just run circles around the corolla i had.and it even had a lowered suspension. the xb's suspension is very tight (firm) but i really like mine :)
    also, my auto loves to cruise between 70 and 80 mph with very little effort!
    p.s. just ordered my new pioneer deh-p3700 stereo tonight along with a set of new polk db6500's, time to upgrade and retire the scion stereo ;)
    Thank you for the replies -- tundradude & jimw0238. I test drove another xB from a new dealer. I drove it in the highway and around town.....very nice and I had absolutely no problem in merging into traffic or zipping around traffic. It was another auto.....still could not find a manual to test drive.

Tundradude, do you think that the ride would get too "stiff" if I add the front strut tie bar ? Or the ride would remain with the same quality, just better on cornering.

My other question is regarding the "sun shade" (not sure if this is the correct word) that I did not pay attention during my first test drive. Everything in the car looks so good for the price range, however, the "sun shade" was a disappointment, it looked really cheap and has a velcro holding the lid for a tiny mirror without lights. Do you know if I can replace that with aftermarket ? I looked at e-bay / Scion life and did not find any ?

Any thoughts ?
    strut bar won't make ride stiffer, just better handling. less body lean or roll. the sun visors do their job. i know the little mirror with flap looks cheesy -but should be fine as long as you don't need to use it daily to put on make up or something. i never use mine..............
    p.s. i just turned 1,000 miles and am getting between 29 to 34 miles per gallon! :shades:
    I'll get the strut bar....Regarding the sun visors....well, I'll live with that and by the way...I don't use make up....however, my wife does and she will complain about the size and the velcro.That's OK, I'll be driving it anyway, he..he..he.

Congrats on your new stereo system (jimw0238), let us know how it's working.

I'll most likely be purchasing it in the next 4 weeks....I just have to decide the color...so far no new colors available for the 2006. The dealers are offering the same options....I think I'll get the camo or black. The silver is also very nice.
    just tell her that it is your car and she'll have to except the little cheesy mirror. my box is silver (thunder cloud) and i love it!
    i also just got really cool "empi" wheels that are painted the same color as the car :shades:
    why pay $665 for the alloy scion wheels when you can get really nice alloy "empis" for $460.(Americas tire co.)....... ;)
    bty, stereo is going from factory "pioneer" to a aftermarket "pioneer deh-p3700mp". a very nice upgrade for $139 + free install kit from "crutchfield".
    new rear speakers are "polk audio db6500's" 6.5's with new satelite tweeters and two crossovers- cost $199.00
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    I agree with Jim about both the strut bar and the sunvisors. I will add though, that those sunvisors are fairly large for a small car, but its for a big window.
  • sassy1866sassy1866 Member Posts: 6
    Hi ll,

I;m new to the TC world but nevertheless I'lll probably buy one next year. I do know that you can get leather in the car, but I have not seen pictures. Does the leather look good as in not cheesy and does it wear well? The only way I'd buy this car is with leather.

Thanks!
  • minitminit Member Posts: 1
    Anyone upgraded their xB wheels with a 18"? Any suggestions on what offset and tire size as well? I placed my order the other day for 2006 xB Blue onyx. For us here in hawaii theres a waiting list and it will probably takes about 2 months for the car to arrive. Another option I am interested is 17"

Aloha
    americas tire/ discount tires website has a calculator for wheel sizes...should cover 17's and 18's.
    hey, did anyone notice that "crutchfield.com" has a new subwoofer box for the xb?
    it goes under the floor next to the spare. i think it is a great idea and nothing visible for a theif to see. i am thinking about buying one to add a little bass to my system and it won't compromise any space :shades:
    box is made by "scosche".
  • newkidnewkid Member Posts: 3
    I have seen lots of people mentioned after market cruise control. Can anyone provide more information about where to find and install one? Is dealer the only choice?
    there are currently three listed on ebay , price is @ $170
  • jmicheljmichel Member Posts: 3
    Love the car. 5speed, Silver. Has anybody put on the front strut bar? What do you think? Big improvement, is it worth the money.
  • tc4me4funtc4me4fun Member Posts: 1
    I'm interested in a cold air intake for my new '06 tC. I've found three brands so far, but can't find any clear differences/comparisons > K & N, AEM and INJEN...

I like the K & N blue option (my tC is azure pearl), but...

Can anyone offer some clarifications - which one should I get? :confuse:
    Hi...I got my xB yesterday. Happy camper here, the car is great in Thundercloud Metallic. Anyway, winter is here and I can not find the rubber mats for the xB. Did anyone buy these before ? ;)
  • mssmss Member Posts: 12
    Just picked up my Silver 06 tC and I'm loving it. I'm not sure but I think I got Sirius Satellite for free. I ordered the car with the upgraded iPod Intergration kit for $260 and on the way home I stumbled across the fact that I'm receiving Sirius. No where within all the instruction manuals does it mention that I'm supposed to have this. Within the iPod Ingreation manual, there is a mention about how to subscribe to XM. My questions are:

1) Do you think this was a mistake by the dealer
    2) How long is the subscription that comes with that option
    3) Where do I find the ID/ESN if I want to renew the subscription

Thanks!
  • mnikosmnikos Member Posts: 31
    I got the iPod-ready Pioneer radio option on my 2006 xB (purchased 8-1-05). The little cable that plugs into the floor (next to the gear shift) and then into the bottom of the iPod is too short to let the iPod sit anywhere but in the little tray next to the parking brake. I'd like to be able to keep my iPod in the flip-up armrest storage space. I'm looking for either a longer cable to replace the one that comes with the radio, or an extension cable that would plug into the iPod at one end and onto the Pioneer cable at the other (in other words, it would have an iPod configuration plug at each end, but one would be male and one would be female). I've checked everywhere: Pioneer, Scion, Radio Shack, Crutchfield, Monster Cable...you name it. Has anyone else with the iPod-ready Pioneer radio found a solution to this? I hate having the iPod sitting on the floor or in the brake tray.
    you can find them on ebay
    that is a real tuffy, usually you can get those at radio shack. however you won't see it online, you have to physically go in and match them up. :surprise:
    Thanks...yeah, I've checked in a couple of the Radio Shacks here; no luck.
  • scionobscionob Member Posts: 2
    you get a month free with the purchace of that option... you can find the esn of the radio on channel one
    :surprise:
  • scionobscionob Member Posts: 2
    Just picked up my Xb today, looking at options to upgrade does anyone know of any web sites that are especially good to look at for the Xb...
    check "scionlife.com" & "scionsport.com. also, ebay has a pretty good selection... :shades:
  • dinwiddie6dinwiddie6 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a xA w/manual trans. I added the AEM cold air induction from the factory. I get between 36-39 MPG on the car. It souns great and did add a little zip!
  • dinwiddie6dinwiddie6 Member Posts: 2
    Was looking on EBAY for xA add-ons and found a resistor that you add and it states that it increases horsepower by 20. It fools the engine to think it's running at 54 degrees. Has anybody tried out this plug-in? How does it impact gas mileage /warrantee?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I didn't know the factory offered a CAI. Where did you see that? Maybe they don't offer it in California?

How much was it with installation?
  • licavolilicavoli Member Posts: 2
    I have seen awesome pics of xB's with wheels that "stick-out" about an inch from the wheel well. I want to create this look with my xB. Does anyone know the maximum offset without causing rubbing inside the wheel well? Or does anyone know where I can find this info... I have tried tirerack.com and several other websites with no luck :cry:

Thanks in advance for your help!!!
    That's a dynamic issue, not a measurement issue, so you'll have to find a shop willing to mount and swap tires and wheels for you until you get the right combo from road testing. On an offset, the clearance is dependent on the compliance of your suspension, not the wheel opening so much. If you see an xB with an offset, you have to find out if they've stiffened the springs or not and if you can live with the ride when they do that.
  • licavolilicavoli Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info! I never considered the suspension mods that probably were done to the xB's I have seen pics of. I guess I will just have to visit my local tire and wheel shop to find the right fit? Thanks for the info... you've saved me a lot of research time!

- Jason
    If you found a tire shop that does it's own alignment and front end work, they would probably be the best source of advice. I have a shop that actually lets customers (well, good customers) drive a new tire around the block to see if it's going to fit.
    hey,
    i just found out that "scionsport" has two new grilles available for the xb.one is all chrome and vented and made to fit the car. the second is imported from japan (made by Toyota)and was manufactured for the "open deck" which is a different version of the box car in japan. that is the grille i bought, it is sweet!
    smooth panel with tinted chrome finish. definately dresses the car up and gives it a custom finish. made by toyota so it took me like three minutes to put it on and it is a perfect factory fit. i'm hoping that since the front grille is all smoothed out now that it may help improve mileage a little by decreasing wind drag. either way it looks sweet!
    though i would pass that on...
    it is called the open deck grille :shades:
  • runninonerunninone Member Posts: 2
    For anyone interested...I purchased 4 Bridgestone Blizzack snow tires for the winters in PA. The traction and handling are excellent. I purchased them at the tire rack @$83.00 a tire.
    Hey jimw0238...long time since we exchanged information...anyway, it looks like you're working hard on your xB, I wish I could see a picture.

Have a question for you if you don't mind. I remember that you told me you purchased wheels for your box with the TCM color (or very close to it) and paid less than $500.00. Can you give more details...where...what's the wheel spec.

Thanks. ;)
    Anyone ever tried to add remote locking to their Scion from an aftermarket kit?
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    What do you mean "remote locking"?
    Keyless remotes are standard.
    not on an xA. Keyless remote is an expensive option.
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    Wow, I didn't know that, It's standard on the xB and tc
    http://www.americastire.com/dtcs/findWheelDetail.do?rcz=92201&mk=SCION&rc=CAPINT- &yr=2005&wd=15&c=1&dVeh=dVeh&pc=57987&rw=&bp=&vid=008416
    go to this link to see wheel page...
    specs are= Enkie "j10"
    cloor= "silver machined" (silver powder coat with clear gloss)
    size= 15x6.5 4-108/10038sm
    americas tires' regular price is = $115.00 each.
    would send a picture to you if you could tell me how
    oh...by the way , i also just put a solid tinted chrome front grille on my xb that is made in japan for a toyota "open deck" ....looks really sweet. perfect fit and cost $250.00 (ouch) :shades:
    look here to see the "OD" grille:
    http://scionsport.com/store/product_info.php/cPath/21_31/products_id/254?osCsid=- a22bb96dc179e5dd7011fd68793baef8
    Nope, just checked again and books say keyless remote is optional on xA, xB or tC at $469 a pop.
    Hey, Mr. Shiftright,
    Don't know what's going on, but I have a 2006 xB (purchased 8/1/05) and it came standard with keyless remote.
    mine too, came with three remotes. mine is a 2006 and i bought it in the end of october.......
    Dunno...checked all the options lists and it's not standard on any of them. it bears option # YQ4 in the xB, and V3 or S8 in the xA and in the tC it's eitherV5, S6 or YQ4 depending on region...

Definitely was an option on my 2006 xA and I didn't want to spend $469 for it. Perhaps they just threw it in and charged you for it on a "package price" of some sort or maybe here in California there's a different options list...that happens sometime. We could compare MSRP's but what the hell it's not a big deal.

I was just wondering how these aftermarket kits work, and how you install them. I figure you can just add a relay/solenoid to the central door lock mechanism---that probably what they do at the dealer anyway when they install the keyless option.
  • philapaphilapa Member Posts: 25
    I have a 2006 TC and the remote locking is standard. :shades:
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    :confuse: Ok... An `06 tC gets around 28mpg highway right? I've heard rumors that if the air intake was changed and the exhaust is changed, it increases the performance of the tC. Does it help the gas mileage city and highway for the better? :confuse:
    I doubt it. CAI and exhaust swap can't amount to more than a few HP, (exhaust, maybe 1-2 HP, and CAI maybe 3-8 HP)and besides, with all that extra neat noise you'll probably put your foot in it more and negate any increases. :P
    Thank you. I checked the link and found the wheels, really, really nice, congratulations on the choice.

I'll have to save some $$ before purchasing them.

Thanks for the link.
  • design06design06 Member Posts: 1
    I found a new hood scoop design that fit my brothers xb at:www.airvms.com. We're putting lights in them and then some airbrush art. The ride is looking really good.
This discussion has been closed.