Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    $28,000? Possible but not likely.

Why not throw that number at the dealer and take it from there?
  • ckone0814ckone0814 Member Posts: 71
    I did this afternoon. After an hour or two they were only at $29500. They let us walk. As I said, the car is at a dealer within 80 miles - they told me to go ahead and check around, that we wouldn't do better. I got the VIN and have contacted 4 other places including the dealer that has it in stock. We'll see.

I'm surprised (and bummed) they let a cash deal go. This car will be two years old in 15 days!
    For reasons that I don't understand there is a popular misconception that dealers somehow favor (or benefit from) a cash transaction.

Nothing could be further from the truth because cash denies them the ability to make money by handling the financing.

While it's possible that you might hit a store at precisely the right time to get a fantastic deal (example: they're one unit away from hitting a bonus), your earlier reference to them giving you their holdback and $500 seems to me to be unrealistic.
    "your earlier reference to them giving you their holdback and $500 seems to me to be unrealistic."

Yes, I'm beginning to realize that I'm not going to get the car at the price I mentioned. I feel confident that my local dealer is at their bottom because a few other dealers (whom also don't have the car) told me that the price I was given would be the same as what they could do. All told me the only dealership who could do any better would be the one who actually had the car - because only they had access to the holdback and may (or may not) dip into that holdback to sell the car.

Basically, at this point all anyone is willing to do is invoice less rebates. On a 2007 that just does not seem to be enough to me but...I am also beginning to see that what I'm looking for - 2007 GT/manual/conv is pretty rare (as others told me on CS). In fact, a competing dealer told me flat out, "It's the exact car you want at a good price. It's an awesome car, go buy it and enjoy it. If you play around too much you're gonna lose it".

I also get your view on making money back on financing - I though that would be the case.
    You got good advice from that dealer. If you're like me, you want what you want, period. If I have to swallow hard, I figure that's ok because then I'll be happy, both short and long term.

Now, I will tell you that the days of great resale on the S197 are gone so be prepared for typical depreciation if you buy new. My '06 GT 'vert stickered at $35,030. It only has 1800 miles on it and I'd be lucky to get 22K on a trade now.
    But I'm not complaining. It's a fun car with pretty good build quality that I expect to keep for many years.
  • kirkleachkirkleach Member Posts: 1
    Anyone bought a 2008? Out the door price paid? Thanks
    Bought one! $34,380 sticker, deal was $28,000 plus tax and tags. I'm SO psyched.
  • r4d4r4d4 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all ... need some help. I am looking into buying the 2008 V6 Prem Mustang Coupe.
    Here is what I would like:
    1. 5 Speed Auto Trans
    2. Safety & Security Pkg
    3. V6 Pony Pkg
    4. Interior Upgrade Pkg
    5. Ambient Lighting

What do you all think would be a good deal? Anyone get one recently with similar options?

Also - I see there is a 1500 rebate but if you decide to go with their financing, then is either the financing or the cash rebate ... is that true?

One last thing ... If I am eligible to get the $500 student discount, I should be able to get that and either the cash rebate or the % financing? Any advise?
    Figure out what the invoice is, subtract any rebates, and that's your target price.

Run the numbers both ways (financing vs. rebate) to see which works best for you.

College grad money and the like is in addition to other available special offers.
    $22,548 ... is that a good deal for this car? The invoice price from Edmunds comes to $23,622

Vehicle Description
    MUSTANG 2008 V6 COUPE PREM
    4.0L SOHC V6 ENGINE
    5-SPEED AUTO TRANSMISSION
    Exterior
    ALLOY CLEARCOAT METALLIC
    Interior
    LIGHT GRAPHITE LEATHER TRIMMED BUCKET SEATS

Standard Equipment INCLUDED AT NO EXTRA CHARGE

EXTERIOR
    . 16" BRIGHT MACHINED WHEELS
    W/CHROME SPINNER
    . P215/65R/R16 TIRES
    . STAINLESS STEEL SINGLE EXH
    . DUAL POWER MIRRORS
    . VARIABLE INTERVAL WIPERS
    . REAR WINDOW DEFROSTER

INTERIOR
    . AIR CONDITIONING
    . SHAKER 500 AUDIO SYSTEM
    AM/FM W/ CDX6 & MP3
    . AUXILIARY AUDIO INPUT JACK
    . CLOTH FRONT BUCKET SEATS
    . POWER 6-WAY DRIVERS SEAT
    . SPLIT FOLD REAR SEAT
    . CENTER CONSOLE W/ARMREST
    . SPEED CONTROL/TILT WHEEL
    . POWER DOOR LOCKS & WINDOWS
    . DUAL VANITY MIRRORS
    FUNCTIONAL
    . BRAKES, POWER 4-WHEEL DISC
    . POWER RACK PINION STEERING
    . POWER POINTS (2)
    SAFETY/SECURITY
    . AIR BAGS, DRIV/FRONT PASS
    . SIDE-MOUNTED AIRBAGS
    DRIVER & FRONT PASS SEATS
    . FRONT/REAR OUTBOARD THREE
    POINT SHOULDER/LAP BELTS
    . 24 HR ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE
    . SECURILOCK
    . REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY
    WARRANTY
    . 3YR/36000 BUMPER TO BUMPER
    . 5YR/60,000 POWERTRAIN
    . 5YR/60,000 ROADSIDE ASSIST

Price Information MSRP
    STANDARD VEHICLE PRICE $20,480

Key Standard Equipment
    ORDER CODE 120A-PREM COUPE
    3.31 RATIO REGULAR AXLE
    16" BRIGHT MACHINED CAST AL
    SHAKER 500 AUDIO SYSTEM
    AM/FM STEREO/6-CD IN DASH/M
    POWER 6-WAY DRIVER'S SEAT
    MANUAL AIR CONDITIONING

Optional Equipment
    2008 MODEL YEAR
    ALLOY CLEARCOAT METALLIC
    LIGHT GRAPHITE LEATHER
    .4.0L SOHC V6 ENGINE
    5-SPEED AUTO TRANSMISSION 995
    INTERIOR UPGRADE PACKAGE 460
    SATIN ALUMINUM PANEL
    V6 PONY PACKAGE 750
    .P235/55/ZR17 A/S TIRE
    .WHITE TAPE STRIPE
    .FRT FLOOR MATS MUSTANG LOGO
    .V6 REAR DECKLID SPOILER
    .PONY TAPE STRIPE
    .17" PREMIUM PAINTED CAST ALUM
    .PONY CENTER CAP
    CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS SYSTEM
    SAFETY PACKAGE 995
    .ACTIVE ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM
    .WHEEL LOCKING KIT
    .ANTI-LOCK BRAKES
    .TRACTION CONTROL
    HEATED SEATS 250
    LEATHER TRIMMED BUCKET SEATS 695
    AMBIENT LIGHTING 295

TOTAL MSRP $25,665
  • kidpoboykidpoboy Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a new 07 Mustang and thought I got a pretty serious deal. Car had 250 miles on it. Sold a pretty radical 65 mustang coupe restomod because my wife wouldn't let my two boys, 4 and 8 go near it.

Wanted to get something that had some nice get up and go. Stumbled upon an auction on ebay for a new 07 Roush Stage 3 convertible that had a low buy it now of $43,500. The auction ended with one bid of $39,500.

I called the dealership to see if it was still available and to my surprise it was because the winning bidder flaked out.

These guys completely blew away the stereo type of car salesmen. Although it was a 07 and had 250 miles, it was never titled and considered a new car. They made it impossible not to buy.

I got it for $41,113 plus T,T and L and 0.9% for 60 months. The msrp on the vehicle was $31,805 and the MSRP for the Roush package was $24,600 totaling $57,105. 41K was a little more than I had planned to spend but they gave me an offfer I couldn't refuse.

According to the salesman they took an $8,500 dollar loss on the vehicle. Since it is 2 degrees with the wind chill in Idaho I guess it's not the best convertible market. The car had been in the show room for 13 months. I guess sometimes it's all about timing. Like going in to the showroom at the end of the month or when it's poring down raining and no one is on the lot.

The only negative Is that the car is on the other side of the country and I had to get it shipped.

If there are any other speed freaks out there that don't want to overpay on a shelby, heads up, Brandon Ford in clearwater Florida has a new 07 Roush Drag pack in Black that they are severly discounting. MSRP of 61K but they are letting it go for $39,999. This car runs 11.9 from the factory and has the 3yr 36K warranty and has 6 miles on it. Only negative is that it has cloth interior. Still a serious value with 430 supercharged hp and it even comes with a set of slicks.

I am excited as many of you guys have been when you made your purchase. It should be here next Wednesday.
  • bronzekittenbronzekitten Member Posts: 1
    The lease on my 06 Passat 2.0T is up at the end of this year and I'm looking at coupes for my final car purchase for awhile, so I want to be really ecstatic with this one. Mustang GT or Shelby500 on the list of cars I like. Who better to ask about Mustang experience than Mustang owners? What are your thoughts on reliability, experience with Ford, etc. How do you deal with the gas mileage? Modifications and accessories? Anything you've learned about the car that would give you pause? I want to purchase a 07 or 08, any significant difference? Who's the best Ford dealer in the SFBay Area? Thanx. :shades:
    Help ... any idea on what the average cost is when they say ...plus tax, tags, dealer fees, applications fees - minus the tax .. what is the typical charge that a dealer might charge for these "fees" in total? I'm in NJ so if anyone has recently bought a car can you peak at your receipt and let me know? Anu advise out there?

Thanks
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Sales tax in NJ is 7% of the selling price minus any trade.
    If you need new plates, its 4 years for about 300.
    7.50 for tire tax.
    then the dealer doc fee what ever thatis.

The car you are looking at though seems to have some junk you may or may not want though. Just a thought. But then again, I wish I had leather on my coupe so you might be on to something.

Mark
  • vistabluestangvistabluestang Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2007 Conv. GT Premium and I love it. I thought about getting the GT500 but I want to do the work myself to supe it up. Buying experience was great. Reiliablity thus far as been great. Gas mileage is 19mpg but I do not go easy on the pedal.

The are so many mods for the mustang...more then any other car....you can have a lot of fun. A lot are just bolt on, so you do not need a lot of experience to modify you car.

The few cons I have are, the head rest is not that comfortable, I have tried adjusting but it still not perfect, and since i have a vert there are no "oh crap handles" on the roof or door for my passagers

for 08 only the Navigation system and the type of headlights changed.

Good luck in SF. Not from there.
  • waterdrwaterdr Member Posts: 307
    My thoughts......a Roush Stage 3 Vert is the most over priced car in the world thanks to the GT-500. Ford destroyed these after-market cars when the launched the GT-500. Folks are starting to buy these closer to closer to sticker every day, which makes paying $57k for a Roush insane.

You sir, should write a letter to Ford thanking them for the GT-500.

So, I think $43k or so is a great deal.....probably priced what these are now worth. Think about it.....how much more would you have paid for a GT-500 Vert? I would say if you stack the two cars side by side, the GT-500 is definately worth $5 - 7k more which again, makes your car priced fairly.

Another way to look at it is is that you car was priced about $15k more then a Stock GT. Add the cost of a vert, a blower, and all the other nice Roush stuff, and $15k more is really about right if you ask me too.

BTW, I really like these cars.....I just think Roush thinks they are worth too much.

Also, I know a guy who paid $41k for a Stage 1 vert (2004) when it was brand new. Compared to that guy, you stole this one.
  • kidpoboykidpoboy Member Posts: 2
    I can't say that I disagree that 57k is too steep for a Stage 3. No way I would have bought it at that price. No question the gt500 has more hp and can be tweaked to handle 500 + rwhp. This car, however, will eat up the gt500 in a road course. Much better suspension and not much slower than the stock gt 500. I can't understand why they have the 3.30's rear in the 500 with a six speed? That car needs the 3.73 like the bullitt.

Almost bought a 07 Shelby 500 with 80 miles for 43,900 but liked the uniquness of the stage 3 vert. Both great cars with pros and cons. Seems as though as time passes you will be able to buy the 500s at sticker or even less with the economy slowing down.

I watch them on ebay from time to time. They aren't giving them away but most of the auctions go with no sale.
  • davidyuleidavidyulei Member Posts: 1
    Hey man,

Were you talking about OTD price?
  • scolagiacoscolagiaco Member Posts: 1
    The hesitation you felt is due to the electronic throttle which is equipped in both stick and automatic. Ford has a new "Adaptive Driving" system where it reads the drivers driving habits to better control fuel economy. This system can be easily calibrated by yourself if you are not pleased with its performance. Contributing to the problem is the variable valve timing the mustang has. It is VERY IMPORTANT you use the correct oil weight and viscosity or it will protest with poor throttle response. I found this out the hard way and it was verified by a Ford mechanic. The V8 requires 5W20 and had used 5W30 1 time and man, never again..stick with 5W20.
  • cardriver4cardriver4 Member Posts: 3
    r4d4
    Is the $22,548 before or after any rebate?
    Did you purchase this vehicle? At this price?
    If so, where in CA?
  • mike8194mike8194 Member Posts: 9
    Anyone have any luck with this car? The MSRP is $32,720, Invoice is $30,388. Ford has a $1500 rebate. My dealer has offered $28,118 + tax,tag,title,etc.

Anyone think I can do any better. Initially they said $34k because there was a premium on it as only 7000 were being made. Now, I think they are hurting to sell them, because of gas prices.

Any thoughts?
  • cap232pilot1cap232pilot1 Member Posts: 20
    Please have your dealer double , no, triple check if the $1,500 incentive is available on the 2008 Bullitt. My dealer AND Ford told me the Bullitt was excluded from the $1,500 incentive and low interest financing. I pushed them very hard on that issue, but was told that it was fact. BTW, your price is well below any that I have heard of on this vehicle. Thanks and please post your reply ASAP.
    ...Still waiting for the dealer to call me back...
  • vincenzo1vincenzo1 Member Posts: 2
    I am Looking To Upgrade to a GT500 ,What Would Be a Realistic Price to Pay for an 07 with under 2000 miles? Does anyone Know of any incentives on the Horizon?
    Alright, so what I had received before, was an online quote. I talked to the internet sales manager and your correct. There are no rebates available on the Bullitt. The internet quote system was wrong. The price will be $30,228 + 599 doc fee + 22 tag fee + 7% tax = $33,008 total. That is for a GT Premium, Bullit package, HID headlights, ambient lighting, alarm, sirius, and wheel locks.

Thats a little much, especially when I could probably get a GT Premium, California Special for significantly less. The sales manager said he could do the GT Prem with CS package for $23,168 after all rebates and incentives. With tax, tag, title. etc it would be $25,454. I find myself wondering if the Bullitt is worth $8k more.
  • leeshuckleeshuck Member Posts: 73
    You might check on the special programs again now that the programs ending March 31st are over, and new programs have started 4/1.

I did a build and price on the Ford Web site tonight on a Mustang with Bullitt package and see that the special programs now appear in the pricing summary. (previously they did not show up when I chose the Bullitt package).

I'd be interested to see what others are paying for the Mustang Bullitt, too. It looks like there is still inventory, so they have not sold out at this time.
  • novellnovell Member Posts: 26
    I say buy a CS and throw on a CAI and a tuner flash and save the dough. Roughly the same performance or better. Put the difference in a CD or a bond. Enjoy!
    Don't give up an this awesome vehicle. Mine is resting in the garage ,ready for the next romp.
    The deeper I dug into this vehicle , the more I discovered its uniqueness and special components. You just can't build the equivalent car for the $3,100 Bullitt option cost over a GT premium. The list of special , high performance components far exceeds that of the Shelby GT. From that perspective, its a better deal. BTW, I don't consider tape stripes , ground effects, and hood scoops under that heading. One drive in this car will spin your head... it feels far stronger than 315 HP and with 1/4 mile times ranging from 13:30s to 13.70 ,it has to be. I owned and drove muscle cars in the late 60s and early 70s and this car would spank many of them- excluding , of course , the ultra high horsepower examples which were the exception then and not the rule ... Something most people who didn't live back then don't know.
    What did you pay for it, if you don't mind me asking?
    M.S.R.P.
    I was offered $30,228 + $599 doc + $22 tag fee 7% tax = $33,008 OTD

That is for an 08 GT Premium, Bullitt Package, with HID headlights, ambient lighting, alarm, and wheel locks.

MSRP $32,70, Invoice $30,388, Price Offered $30,228

It seems like a great deal, but I am wondering if I hold out, will it get a little sweeter?

I also just saw on ford's website, that the Bullitt is eligible for a $1500 reabte, and $1000 bonus cash. I wonder if that was already factored into my price? I will have to call and see.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/mustang/incentives/offers/results/index.asp?mod- el=Mustang&year=2008&zip=30028
  • beerme1beerme1 Member Posts: 67
    GT CS Vert. Sticker is 37,600 car has 2500 miles on it and was a demo. Salesman seems like a nice guy and says that he could take 32,6 for the car. I said he seems kind of high considering this is a leftover 07 demo. he said they only have 1600 in it which to me means 31K. I offered him 31K and he said no. He would go to 32K. I am tempted because the deal currently includes 0.0% for 72 months. However it is not the color I wanted.
    Your thoughts please.

Thanks
    Willy
    As a year old (and, in effect, used) car, 32 is 2 to 3 grand more than what's it's worth. You should be able to buy a new '08 for about the same money.

Don't understand your reference to "...he said they only have 1600 in it...."

Is Ford providing the financing? Or is it a dealer promo?

Last point: they only offered the CS in 4 colors and if it's not what you want, you'll likely kick yourself later.
    I looked at used 07 with 7k on it and it sold for 29,9 and was red. The Ford financing would have been 4.9%
    This one is white and has never been titled so has full warranty and will be sold as new. The 0.0% for 72 months is also Ford financing.
    When he said they would only have 1600 in it, I took that to mean that they would make 1600 if he sold me the car at 32,6 which was what he told me he could sell me the car for originally.
    With the difference in financing the used one would have cost $15 more a month, had 5000 more miles on it and already had more than a year off the warranty. Regardless the red one sold at the asking price price of 29,9. Albeit, not to me! :cry: The deals available to me are on leftover 07's since they can be financed at 0.0%
    You can't beat that financing, especially if it's NOT in lieu of rebate money. Bought my '06 GT 'vert that way in late summer of '06.

However, be prepared to take a pretty big depreciation hit quite soon. Mine's got less than 2000 miles on it now and is worth 23 (maybe 24) of it's original 35K sticker.
  • broncolesbroncoles Member Posts: 5
    Check out the 2008 Mustang GT Convertible on Ebay, it has a little over 1 day left!
    Item #170213413278
    Dealer is out of Sebring, Fl
    MSRP is $39,220 and is currently sitting at $20,100.00
    They might take $32,700 based on the previous listing starting bid!
    Difference sitting at $6520.00. I’m not sure of the documentation fee that they might :shades: charge??
    Check it out, you might be in this vehicle.
    Thanks for the heads up, I will. Does anyone if there is anyway of finding out exactly what options are on a used car if the original sticker iswn't with it? Will Ford tell me or send me a duplicate?

thanks
    Take the VIN to a Ford service department and have them run an OASIS report - they'll be listed on it IIRC.
    Thanks ccc
    Sounds like they applied the cash/rebate to arrive at that price. Check Ford's May programs.
    The main edmunds site shows people paying a little over invoice, so I think you could get that pricing plus any incentives/special programs.

I see plenty of Bullitts in inventory still, and read that of the 7,700 to be built for US and Canada that some will be part of the 2009 model year production, so not all will be 2008's.

Lee
    Cali special
    Sticker was $37,605
    I paid $31,670 and while I do have a couple of issues with the title possibly ( I am told it's never been titled but the dealer says the warranty started May 07 and it appears that the car was registered to the dealer)
    I am extremely happy with the car. ZERO percent financing is what won over everything else.
    Was this a convertible, an 08' and what state did the purchase take place in. I'm asking because the offers (cash back etc.) that Ford puts out are geographic and go according to Zip Codes

Thanks for replying! :shades:
    This was an 07 demo on a gt convertible with 2576 miles purchased as new. Bought it in Wisconsin and drove it home to Buffalo, NY. :shades:

I know for my zip code Ford was offering either $2500 rebate or zero percent financing for 72 months. I don't think Ford was offering that in WI. But it is irrelavant as the dealer has to use your actual zip code which you already know.
    Thanks Beerme1 for answering my post!

Use that vehicle in good health!

Broncoles :)
  • mbryant2mbryant2 Member Posts: 2
    Where did you get your financing (0% for 72 mos) in Buffalo? Ford is currently offering a $1500 rebate on the GT only. The dealers are not allowing the Ford financing along with the rebate.

Thanks
    Ford has been advertising 0.0% for 72 months on any remaining 07 mustangs or $2500 cash back. I do not see it on their website now and perhaps got in at the last minute. The dealer in WI. verified the apr deal and wrote it up and it is with FoMoCo credit.
  • mbryant2mbryant2 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you
    I now have a major issue and spoke with FORD today.
    The 0.0 % apr offer was on leftover new 07 Mustangs.
    This car was supposed to be an owner used demo with 2500 miles on it and I was told it was never titled. Keep in mind I had 700 miles to get home and not knowing the law in Wisconsin I wasn't sure what I was dealing with. But I went to Wisconsin to pick up my new never titled car.

I felt something stunk when I was told the warranty started in March of 07.
    I questioned that since this is a new car and they gave me an extra $300 off an ESP warranty to allay my concern.
    I decided to run a CarFax on it since the issue has been bothering me and I found a prior registration in the glove box that was registered to the dealer.

I never thought to run a carfax originally as it made no sense since:
    A) the dealer told me this was a new demo car never titled and
    B) why would I run a carfax report on a new car being told it was a demo that the owner drove and
    C) Ford's 0.0% financing applied only to remainig NEW 07 Mustangs.

The CarFax report indicated that the car is a one owner car and it was previously titled. :mad: That means I paid more than kbb value as carfax says I am the second owner which makes this a used car :mad: .

Ford said in their eyes I am the first owner. I asked then why is my warranty not starting on day 1 of my ownership?
    The car was previously titled as I found out, to the dealer who told me today that if some one who doesn't physically work at the dealership drives the car as a demo they have to title it in WI and that FORD is aware of this and that's why they tell me I am the first owner. CARFAX says otherwise andthat is not what they told me prior to me flying out there to pick the car up. They said "It's a new car although a demo and has NEVER BEEN TITLED"

I am very upset at having been misled on the issue and pressed the point with FORD that a new car should have the full factory warranty and while the woman who took my complaint in customer relations agreed with me, she said she couldn't change the warranty date and that I should take it up with the dealer.

The dealer basically told me it is a new car or I wouldn't have been able to get the 0.0 % financing or they would be liable for the difference from 7.0% for the used rate with Ford vs. the 0.0 % that I got.

Right now all I can say is WTF?

Anyone have any suggestions for recourse? I don't think I would make any bones about this at all except I was lied to and I have in fact lost 14 months of my factory warranty. I do know I would not have flown there at my expense if I had know that prior to working the deal out over the phone. I am really, really p'oed about this right now.

Thanks
    Willy
    Hi Willy,

Assuming you have already been to the top management with the dealer in question, I would pursue escalating this to Ford customer service/management.

Make sure you have all you facts/communications documented and use written communications.

You may want to see if there is a consumer affairs department in Wisconsin and see if they can do something to assist.

I had a problem with an "Extended Maintenance Agreement" related to a new car purchase in California and was able to get the problem resolved with the assistance of a state consumer department. I got a runaround from the dealer initially since it represented profit that they didn't want to give up but it got escalated to the manufacturer's regional management and they took the appropriate action.

If you have a legal assistance plan at work you may want to run it by an attorney for advice/assistance.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease - persist and you should prevail.

Good luck,

Lee
    Hi Beerme1

See if you can get in contact with a local consumer rights organization in your town of Buffalo, NY. Maybe a local news channel can air your situation and thereby bring the local media in. Ford, I’m sure would not like that type of exposure and with sales low at this time ( which probably brought this about) might come to your side.
    I hope there was another individual who witness the various verbal conversations you had with this WI dealer.

Speaking about dealers, if there is an employee out there who is reading these posts and works for a Ford Dealership, I would hope that you might speak up and give some guidance to this individual and help bring fairness to this heart breaking situation.

Broncoles :(