Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang Prices Paid and Buying Experience

1171819202123»

Comments

• dat2dat2 Member Posts: 251
    Just to clarify a comment by the super enthusiastic new mustang buyer, a v6 mustang gets nowhere near the mpg as a civic. I know people driving the newer civics and getting mid 30s easily in city driving. The combine mpg of a base mustang is like 22, the same as a 370z actually! Enjoy your new ride! That's all that's important.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    I'm getting 25 mpg combined with mine. I think it's the manual and the stock gearing/tires that do it. That 25mpg combined is in rush hour traffic. complete with half hour traffic jams, no less. The reality is that it gets very good fuel economy if you drive it right. Though, the on-board fuel economy display is consistently 10-15% lower than what the pump says. It says I get 23mpg, and my receipt says 25. I don't know why Ford would be calculating it so far off, and yes, it is a known issue.

I'll sacrifice a few mpg for the rest of what you get, though. 25mpg for my daily commute is pretty nice compared to the 15mpg I was getting in my old car.
  • loncrayloncray Member Posts: 301
    I'm enjoying the heck out of my 2013 Mustang GT Convertible. It's a total blast to drive, the mileage really isn't bad (17 or so in stop and go city driving; 22 - 25 on the highway), and it looks like a million bucks when it's clean. No, it's not an AMG Mercedes or Ferrari, but I could buy 3 or 4 Mustangs for that sort of money. I've got all those (expensive) bells and whistles, and I don't regret a one of them.
  • late67late67 Member Posts: 1
    I recently helped my father-in-law purchase a new 2014 Ford Mustang V6 Base 6 speed manual with no options.
    MSRP: $22,200
    Delivery: $795
    Total: $22,995

Dealer Discount: $1395
    Ford incentives: $2500
    Purchase price: $19,100
    Total discount: $3895

The prices paid forum is an incredibly valuable tool and I want to say thank you to all those who have contributed.
    Best regards.
  • erose49erose49 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, just wanted to get some opinions on whether I should buy a 2014 mustang now or wait until closer to when the 2015's come out?
    Here is what I have negotiated so far with some Oklahoma dealers.
    A 2014 v6, ruby red mustang with auto transmission. MSRP is $24585.
    Rebates are $3,000 currently and I have a $750.00 private offer. So $3,750 total rebates.
    Best deal so far is $19,499. The dealer is giving me a $1,336 discount basically.

Do you think this is a great deal?
    Also whether is think rebates will go higher than $3,000 as the 2015's get closer to coming out?

If I can save even a little more I would be willing to wait.

Thanks!
  • bandit100bandit100 Member Posts: 1

I just bought a 2014 Mustang base in manual ($22,200) with the V6 Performance Package ($1995) and the Tech/SYNC Package ($1295). That, plus the $795 delivery charge totals $26,285 MSRP. My dealer discounted the price to $22,700, AND I got another $3500 in rebates -- $19,200 for a truly great car. I am very pleased. It probably helped that I bought the car in the last hours of New Year's Eve -- the last selling day of the last selling month of 2013. I thought about waiting until later in the year for a potentially better discount, but you can't bank on future rebates, and the very rare V6 Performance Package would be almost impossible to find then.

edited February 2014

You won't get a better deal with the 2015. It's new, has more issues to work out, weighs about the same, (the base model is the same weight - it's the turbo for my guess would be $25K that saves you 200 lbs), and is going to cost you MSRP, period, for the first year due to the fanboys driving prices up. Your total loan after taxes and license will probably be close to 30K. The Mustang to get will be the next generation after this upcoming one (2018 would be my guess) - the real major update. This one is to much evolution and not enough revolution.

You can buy a basic Corolla for $19K or a Mustang for $19K. Um... Yeah. Thought so.

EDIT - That Ruby Red Tricoat is basically laquer-style 70s paint (multiple coats of color and clearcoat mixed together). It'll last twice as long as normal paint and look better as well. Get the car and don't look back.

One thing to note, though, if you can possibly get the FP6 package, GET IT. The Ruby Red and FP6 makes the car look like a $30K+ car. I'd take it over the "Performance" package any day.

• lastboomer64lastboomer64 Member Posts: 2

Hi guys

Apologize in advance for the long post. I've driven German cars for soooo long I'm really conflicted about whether or not to get a new GT and need your advice and thoughts.

I'm considering the new 2015 GT and am curious about the horsepower. The last Mustang GT I bought was the new 1988 GT when I was in the Army had I think... 225 HP. Great car really the most fun to drive car I've ever owned and it just smoked anything stock it came up against back then. My wife is Thai and... she used to the silly Tokyo drift movies and I explained to her that long before the spikey haired mall ninjas were "drifting"...we used to do power slides in our old pony cars. Anyway we've been driving Mercedes and Bimmers for years (and I will never own a (GM) Gubment motors car EVER again) and I'm considering trading in my 328i for a 2015 Mustang GT. I have an hour long commute each day and live on a twisty mountain road the 328i handles like a champ and has plenty of zip in sport mode...great style...yet...I have to admit having a 302 V8 that promises noticeably more HP than the current 420...nice...I've driven the new 2013-14 V6 Base Mustangs as rentals on business trips and no offense to anyone but they just don't do anything for me. The steering feels really soft and the interior looks dated vs. retro to me. Also the V6 power seems to lag even though my 2007 328i only has 230 HP...it feels considerably more powerful and more available. That said I'm bored with 3-series...the new ones except for the top of the line models just don't feel like they are worth the price when you sit in them. I spend 2 hours a day in my car so I want something with the power, interior quality and overall fit and finish to stand up to the righteous pounding I give my cars. My old GT so many years ago was great in these departments.

So bottom line: what's the expected GT horsepower expected to be?

Thanks!

• lastboomer64lastboomer64 Member Posts: 2

Hi guys

Apologize in advance for the long post. I've driven German cars for soooo long I'm really conflicted about whether or not to get a new GT and need your advice and thoughts.

I'm considering the new 2015 GT and am curious about the horsepower. The last Mustang GT I bought was the new 1988 GT when I was in the Army had I think... 225 HP. Great car really the most fun to drive car I've ever owned and it just smoked anything stock it came up against back then. My wife is Thai and... she used to the silly Tokyo drift movies and I explained to her that long before the spikey haired mall ninjas were "drifting"...we used to do power slides in our old pony cars. Anyway we've been driving Mercedes and Bimmers for years (and I will never own a (GM) Gubment motors car EVER again) and I'm considering trading in my 328i for a 2015 Mustang GT. I have an hour long commute each day and live on a twisty mountain road the 328i handles like a champ and has plenty of zip in sport mode...great style...yet...I have to admit having a 302 V8 that promises noticeably more HP than the current 420...nice...I've driven the new 2013-14 V6 Base Mustangs as rentals on business trips and no offense to anyone but they just don't do anything for me. The steering feels really soft and the interior looks dated vs. retro to me. Also the V6 power seems to lag even though my 2007 328i only has 230 HP...it feels considerably more powerful and more available. That said I'm bored with 3-series...the new ones except for the top of the line models just don't feel like they are worth the price when you sit in them. I spend 2 hours a day in my car so I want something with the power, interior quality and overall fit and finish to stand up to the righteous pounding I give my cars. My old GT so many years ago was great in these departments.

So bottom line: what's the expected GT horsepower expected to be?

Thanks!

edited April 2014

The reason the V6 rentals felt like they did was due to the lack of a manual transmission (and stock suspension). With manual and the performance package, it's a blast on mountain roads. If you can possibly drive a manual, do it. I drive manual and I deal with 2 hours of Los Angeles traffic every day. I'm not some superman, either. It's just that the difference between manual and automatic in this car is so dramatic that I made the decision to re-grow my left leg and learn to enjoy it. :)

As for the V8, it has tons of power. And that's before you do even the simplest mods. That V8 is seriously underpowered and tuned down in base form. The V6 is pretty much as good as it's going to get. It's fine, but modding the V6 is going to net you almost nothing while even basic changes to the V8 will help greatly. Just adding a supercharger and nothing else will net you almost 600HP.

So, yes, the GT has plenty of power.

There was a famous auto review a year or two back comparing the current generation GT to a M3. The auto reviewer (fanboy?) gave the win to the M3 since in the hands of a professional with every safety and stability control turned off, it won by 0.03 seconds. With the safety systems turned on, the Mustang beat the M3 by almost 2 seconds. The rest of the world reading all of that that gave them a tie. Just... You can almost buy two Mustangs for the price of a M3. The average driver would drive both and not even get close to those limits, even.

It's a serious car with great handling. The new one looks.. odd. And it loses the whole muscle car feel to it from what I've been reading. Kind of like what Inifniti did with their Z. They turned it into the G37... The G37 is nice, but it doesn't feel exciting. I'd rather have (even a little) old-school redneck fun in my drive than going Audi or Mercedes' route of smoothing out all of the edges.

But as far as luxury goes, the Mustang has none. It's decent enough, but its charm is that you get fun and performance in a rock-bottom price and not that it wins any refinement contests.

• icherub1icherub1 Member Posts: 39

@plekto said:
    The reason the V6 rentals felt like they did was due to the lack of a manual transmission (and stock suspension). With manual and the performance package, it's a blast on mountain roads. If you can possibly drive a manual, do it. I drive manual and I deal with 2 hours of Los Angeles traffic every day. I'm not some superman, either. It's just that the difference between manual and automatic in this car is so dramatic that I made the decision to re-grow my left leg and learn to enjoy it. :)

This is completely inaccurate and represents a common but very dated misunderstanding. The lack of acceleration in rentals (and the vast majority of V6 Mustangs in general) is the fact that they come factory stock with 2.73 ratio rear end gearing. Using a manual helps to overcome the sluggish feeling merely because it lets the driver intentionally push the car harder by delaying upshifts longer than the auto is programmed to do in normal driving. Otherwise, the transmission ratios are very similar. Step up to the optional 3.31 gears with the auto (as is included in the Performance package) and it's a very different car. The 2015's will come with 3.31's stock precisely because the 2.73's gave up too much performance for that magic MPG rating.

I've driven both and the 3.31 vs the 2.73 with manual is negligible other than in first gear, which has a little more kick to it. People are reporting roughly a 0.5 second faster quarter mile with the 3.31s. Not an amazing difference, really.

It's the manual and the sticky summer tires and better suspension that really make the difference. The base models with automatic also have those nasty high-mileage low rolling resistance (read - hard as a rock, don't grip worth much) tires. It's a lose-lose-lose scenario in that case.

The typical rental Mustang is nothing like the one you would end up buying.

• vly1vly1 Member Posts: 7
    Tested drove a 2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium today and dealer said they can sell under invoice but didn't buy.  Feels like a $25,000 car.  I enjoyed the speed and handling but didn't like the no power tilt seats and the passenger side was very uncomfortable.  It was uncomfortable bc I felt there was little space for the passenger side waist due to the cup holders taking up the space making it feel cramp.  I would buy an accord exl v6 for $25,000.
  • zapat2f7zapat2f7 Member Posts: 38
    Wanted to revive this. Looking to buy a 2018 GT, 301A package with black accent package. Any idea of prices and payments.