Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• purplegtpurplegt Member Posts: 22
    Just wondering if anyone else is waiting as long as I have on my 05 Mustang GT...
    Ordered early Nov. 04...Premium, Torch Red, Charcoal Interior with Interior Upgrade Package...500 Watt Stereo. Rec'd a call from my dealer about 3 weeks ago after bugging them about my order, they are telling me that the car has not even hit a production schedule yet, they can't tell me where it is at in line for production! 6 months later......any suggestions? Anyone else experiencing the same problem? Was told another guy ordered his 2 months before me and he still doesn't have his.....I'm really feeling like I'm getting a run-around. Thank goodness I have a sweet purple 1996 Mustang GT with only 43,000 miles on it to drive while I wait for the new one.....HELP!!! Thanks for any suggestions....
    Waiting......in Wisconsin!!! :cry: :mad: :confuse:
    Hi - I ordered a GT coupe in November 04......6 months later, I'm still waiting on it...after my dealer called Detroit 3 weeks ago, they tell me they can't even give me a number or tell me where it is in production....it's not in production yet!!!! If this is any consolation....be prepared to patiently or impatiently wait.....!
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    If they can not deliver in 6 to 8 weeks, cancel the order. Nothing wrong with a '96 GT with only 43K miles on her. Keep it! One of my favorite body styles of Stangs over the years. It has a well rounded body, lean looking, and the interior has a better looking rounded dash on it. You can actually view the speedo and tach better on the older car too. The insurance is lower on the one you have. The price on Mustangs, after all the whoopla is over, will be discounted $2k to $3k no doubt. Ford and GM never get retail for anything, unless it is during a fever time, like PT Cruiser or New Beetle crazed buying frenzy. If you are really in need a car with the current body style, why not get the real deal. Look for a 1969 Stang, and have chrome bumpers and really sharp styling in the original package. Do you really need, or even want throttle-by-wire and such? If you are getting a stick, try one out before buying.

Loren
  • johngaltjohngalt Member Posts: 5
    The difference between invoice and MSRP on the GT is about $2500. I doubt you are going to see 2-3K discounts on this car in the near future. Dealers are moving them off the lot within hours at MSRP and up.

I'm not dissing the '96 Stang but the '05 is a different animal.

Ford and GM are starting to get the hang of it with the Mustang and the 300...

Also, there is a lot of mythology about insurance... check with your carrier before you believe the internet prophets of doom - my insurance is not bad at all on a GT Vert.
    Lots of cars are sold below invoice. Sure the GT Stang may not for a few more months, or maybe give it two years - hard to tell. Sooner or later, it will sell at invoice or lower, if you are saying only a $2,500 mark up. I do not believe that the invoice is the bottom line. Too many other payments must go to the dealerships. Otherwise, why would anyone assume the risk of a car dealership. If you own a few million, and had it sit in a bank at 4% interest rate it makes more than what they claim they are making on new cars. Look at all the people that work there, and the floor space, inventory, advertising expense, insurance, etc. And they are going to make a few hundred bucks on a car. So what would the poor starving salesperson make? How did they discount a V6 down to $14,888 brand new in 2003 and 2004 before the latest change of model? Plenty of Hertz rental cars coming into service, and as the car becomes more common the prices will come down. As for insurance, the convertibles insurance is less than the other mustangs because the clients tend not to bend the metal as much. They are better drivers, or at least more conservative drivers. That said, I would not own a soft top without a roll bar. The new retro style is pleasing enough to the eye, and they did some things to the car to improve it, and some things I am not sure are a plus. More good than bad, I guess, if getting an automatic. The look is OK, though I am old enough to have already been there and done that. I owned a '65, and did like the new styled '67 and '69 when they came out. After that, they kept creeping up in size. I hope this is not history repeating itself, as I see a couple of inches here and there as years go by. Best they stop already with any more up sizing. And some day, I guess we shall see IRS, as this is the year 2005, and I doubt if but a small percent would complain about it not working for drag racing. Some say it is keep the cost down, but the cost is not down, it is higher. Some are approaching or surpassing the cost of buying a new BMW sedan. A fun car, at a low price, is how I look at the sporty Ford, so $18,500 for V6 or say $21,500 or so for a V8 makes sense to me. Actually, I see American cars usually as a better used car value, though lately some have hard large rebates/discounts. If I was rich enough, and it did not matter so much cost wise, yes the new Stang GT at any price would be a fun toy.
  • lassen54lassen54 Member Posts: 7
    You may want to check with your insurance agent before buying a new mustang. I was presently surprised when my agent insured our new mustang gt convertible for less than $1,000 per year...maybe by 50 years of age and good driving record had something to do with that.

There are very few new cars out there that can match the Mustang GT for performance at a similar price...take a look at the price of any new car that is anywhere close to the new mustang in performance, appearance, and fun...and you can be looking up to twice the cost---especially a BMW!

The Mustang with a six is very peppy and fun with over 200 HP. My friend bought one and is very pleased with it! The Mustang six may be an even better value than the GT.

I think Ford has hit a home run with the new Mustang!
    Hi, thx for the reply...I decided to send the dealer an email this morning and see what I get for a response this time....after waiting 6 months it'd be hard to give up at this point, even tho it's really starting to get my goat, so to speak. I'm not looking forward to giving up my 96, it's been a darn good car and have received many compliments, and it's been driven every winter since I've had it! It gets a weekly bath. Although driving a mustang in the snow is quite the challenge and you have to drive like a gramma. If I could afford the insurance on both of them and had an extra space in the garage, it'd be mine for good.
    I do have to say, I think I got a pretty good price from the dealer, right now Edmunds sight is listing mine at $28,400 with options, I managed to pull mine off at $26,000....must have been that cold November blustry day that got them to give me a decent deal. I know I won't find that price anywhere now. I'll have to pop in and let you know what I hear this time for a response....wish me luck...
    :shades: PS....I'm getting (hopefully) the automatic, have had sticks in the past, it's too difficult to eat a burger and shift at the same time....LOL
    I was quoted under $1200 for V6 and less about $1300 on a GT for insurance. You are saving on getting a convertible. They seem to have less loss on those. I was thinking of possibly getting a V6, with a stick, which has the best gas mileage. Not sure how shifting is with that throttle-by-wire, which may work better with an automatic transmission. But the gas mileage suffers. I am always looking to save a buck, and with gas in California hitting over $2.55, I have to think ahead. It ain't lookin' pretty. Some day, I may move to some state were gas is much less to buy. I love to drive. I paid sticker on a Dodge Stealth when they came out as a 1991 model, and it sure was neat to have something much different on the road than any other car. People would point at the car, give a thumbs up and walk on over to talk about it. If people want to get the first New Stangs, that is fine. These days, I guess I am just getting cheap. If I get a V8 it may be an earlier model, and a V6, I would still consider in an 2005 model, but waiting for the discounts to roll on in. Hey, they started the game on price, then rebate, so I like many, sit and wait. As far as BMW, which we had some locally starting at $28,500, vs. a Stang V8, well yes it is not the same HP, but the inline 6 engine is sweet and the car is pretty tight in so many areas once you get into that price range, I start thinking of the overall value of the two. Yes, you are quite right as to performance, if that is defined by straight line speed. Hard to argue that it is not fast and sounds better than any 6 cylinder would. Once you get out of the low 20's for price though, there are a lot of elements handling and quality wise to consider. Depends on your priority s. And maybe it is just perceived worth, historic pricing, or thinking back to the origins of a peoples sporty car based on a Falcon. Perhaps I will let go of this some day and accept new more lofty pricing on the Mustangs as being the norm. Time will tell.

:D Loren
  • roberta4roberta4 Member Posts: 5
    I have been waiting for 6 solid weeks for my GT convertible (loaded w/o 1000 shaker) and they still tell me......it's not even been built. I can't wait. I ordered silver with red interior.....but they have a legend lime in the showroom......may have to go for it!!!! if it's still there! :cry:
    " I have been waiting for 6 solid weeks for my GT convertible (loaded w/o 1000 shaker) and they still tell me......it's not even been built. I can't wait. I ordered silver with red interior.....but they have a legend lime in the showroom......may have to go for it!!!! if it's still there! "
    -end quote-

Hey, that is a cool color, as in fun color. I had that color on a car back in 1976. If you are not sure about living with the color choice, wait for the silver. You want to :) when you see the car in the driveway. I think that color really stands out, and like I said, kinda fun sorta color, but it is funny how what people say when they see it. Somewhat of a polarizing effect, with only a few people saying they sorta like it. Most are thumbs up or down. I think that red, green and dark grey metallic seems to look good with this model. I liked the white on last years car. The silver is OK, but it is not as bright as VW silver. Wish Ford could borrow a can of paint in silver from VW to get the paint brighter. Just a little dull, I think on Fords, but still comes off looking OK. Blue is different, but maybe too sleepy a color for a sporty car? Hard to say. It is an interesting blue color - different than the rest. And then there is yellow, for those shy people needing to meet others, like the highway patrol officers :blush: or black for those needing more exercise washing, waxing and dusting their baby. I still like red. I see they had orange at one time - yuck! The new metallic burn orange colors are neat, but I don't think they have them for mustangs yet, and perhaps for good reason. Not every color works for every car. That green may have some good impact on the eyes :surprise: Does it have black interior?

Loren
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    GTforme - I live on the NH/Me border and bought mine from the dealer in York Me. He does have a black GT convertible supposedly arriving in April - and at this point it's not spoken for. They treated me very well and I did not pay MSRP. If you are anywhere near Portsmouth and the deal you presently have doesnt work out - I'd suggest them. Starkey Ford. York Me. Ask for the internet sales guy.
    Carfreak - did your dad buy an automatic or std?? I've got a Windveil Blue V6 Premium std and my family is loving it! My oldest boy just turned 16 and has his driver's learning permit. He'd been driving an automatic but within 2 days was doing fine with the clutch and loving the shift action (to say nothing of the attention he's getting!) I originally had ordered an automatic but changed the order a few days later. If it's not too late - get your dad to make the switch!!
    So you have a new V6 stick. Can you blip the gas to raise RPM for downshifts? Just curious. With the cluth in, when you press the gas pedal on down, how far up do the RPMs go, and is it imediate? Never owned a car with throttle-by-wire. Windveil Blue color - is that one with some history to it, and in Ford use during the 60's? My Stang from the 65 was that light creame color - sort of creame yellow. I can not recall that blue. My aunt had a darker blue metallic Fairlane - nice lookin' car. As for std. tranny, if it works well, the gas savings of 3 MPG and the fun of having more command over the car, is well worth having to excercise the leg each day. Have fun! Has the priced dropped below $19,500 yet on V6 Stangs?

:shades: Loren
  • roberta4roberta4 Member Posts: 5
    The legend lime one in the showroom has beige interior and top. It's pretty cool but I really like the red interior. The red interior would not look good with the green. It would look good with the black, but the black looks very unfeminen. I really want a car that looks like mine and not my husbands. Since it is a V8 and a stick...I wanted girl stuff. Yellow was way too young for me and red was screaming for the guys to look!!! So silver was my best bet to go with the red interior. I'm getting a little bummed out about the wait....now that I'm reading that it may take months for her to come in! :cry:
    Well red interior with green exterior would look right in style for Christmas. Really, if you want red interior and silver exterior, I would not jump into the lime green. Beige interior with a Hunter Green car looks great, but on Lime, I don't think it is so sublime. Be sure to test drive a stick before buying one. Sticks differ greatly from one car to another. I have been there before, buying a car on special order before testing it out. The stick, in that case, was NOT the best for that car. Since this is a brand new stick, you can not compare it to last years model. Since this car has throttle-by-wire it is going to be different in that respect. It is new everything, so try before buy. You may want the automatic. If all else fails, and they can not produce a Stang with red interior, get a used Corvette with red interior. :surprise: 350HP is a lot of ponies, and gas mileage is better. Hope ya get your dream Stang - good luck!

Loren
  • tomartomar Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know which Ford dealers in Northern California are currently accepting the X-Plan for 2005 Mustangs (GT Premium)?

Thanks!
    Loren - the Windveil Blue is a new color - not retro. I'd call it a medium steel blue.
    Prices havn't dropped much here in New England yet - most are a bit under MSRP. I was fortunate to do MUCH better than that. Relative to the clutch and tach - yes it does jump when you clutch but I'd have to look to tell you exaclty how much and probably varies quite a bit by gear and speed. I'll look tonight.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    This isn't exactly good news, but it does explain a bit with what's going on with orders and what's happening in trying to buy a new Mustang.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102118

In short.....they are oversold....even with upping factory capacity. But, it goes along with what we're hearing that you may have to wait until well into the '06 production to get at least, a GT.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • lassen54lassen54 Member Posts: 7
    I could not find a dealer in northern California that would accept the X-Plan. In fact, many dealers are marking up the Mustang GTs over MSRP. I did not want to wait, so I ended up paying MSRP ($32,980) for a Premium GT Convertible at the Ford Store in San Leandro. I was by there this past weekend and saw three GT converts on the lot...and one GT Coupe.
    There were plenty of Mustang Sixes on the lot and it's my understanding that those are being sold for under MSRP.
  • rabidcharlierabidcharlie Member Posts: 1
    My wife just bought me a GT in Legend Lime with black interior. I just got back from Iraq and she surprised me with the car. After calling over 40 dealerships, she bought one without seeing it from a town 5 hours away. This car is exceptional!
  • 05stanggt05stanggt Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the info about the priority code. I haven't been able to get a straight answer from the dealer. I ordered my GT in early January, and they still don't have a build date for it. They assigned a priority of 40. They said they assign priority by the sequence of the orders. I'm guessing that with a number of 40 the car will never be built. It is still "C&U". And if Ford is not filling orders because a dealers allotment is used up, That Bites. If they have an order, they need to fill it.

I recently received an x-plan pin. Is there a dealer in the DC/Northern VA / MD area accepting them? I could start all over.
    Hey, thanks much for that article, it helped confirm my dilemma...I ordered my Premium Mustang GT in November 2004....6 months ago! My phone call to Ford customer service last week gave me news that they are short on the V8 engine, and one of the questions I was asked was did I order the "My Color" option? Which yes, of course I did. They told me that Ford never expected to have such a demand for this option, they way under estimated for it, and of course can't fill the orders for it. Plus I ordered from a smaller dealership in Wisconsin who most likely are not getting a big allocation of Mustangs....do they think us northern people don't enjoy our pony cars? Heck, I have driven the 1996 I have now for the last 9 winters, all winter long. Have to drive like a gramma, but hey, I get around unless the snow gets too deep. The thing I don't understand is, I ordered this vehicle way back in November, I would have thought I'd have been ahead of the game and it would have been here long ago. Anyway, thought I'd give all of you who just ordered yours a good look at the wait you have. My dealer told me that if they start producing the 2006 models and I don't have my 2005, I get my 2006 at the price I ordered last November. At least one consolation, I guess, I'm not paying way over sticker price.......good luck to all who are waiting, waiting, waiting.....just like me...! :cry:
  • stangmanstangman Member Posts: 2
    Why! :surprise: I'm soooo shock to hear about this many problems in getting a GT around the nation. I sell Ford and do the orders for my dealership. I have ship many stangs to other states. I have many brokers taking orders from me. In the past few weeks I had over 5 GT coups and 4 GT conv on the ground for sell. Don't let your dealership give you a bunch of "bull" and don't pay over sticker.
  • stangmanstangman Member Posts: 2
    They have the information. They just want to give it. I do the orders for my Ford dealership and they know what's up.
  • esbrockesbrock Member Posts: 88
    I placed my order for a '05 GT Premium about two weeks ago. I talked to my salesguy yesterday, and he told me he hasn't heard back on it yet. He doesn't expect to get a build date sent to him until late May with the car getting to me around July. He didn't mention any delays regarding the IUP option. I think I am going to be resolved to the fact that I may have to wait for the '06 model before I get it. If it comes in sooner that I can be surprised. With all these people waiting for even a build date, I may be way back in line.
    I'm not a dealer, nor do I have all the answers. But, I did a lot of research on the Mustang before I ordered.

So, here's where we're at.

At the beginning of the year, there were "holds" on the IUP package. Some have said it's because of a pending lawsuit Ford had to deal with rewgarding the MY COLOR feature of the IUP. Don't know how true that is, but the lawsuit has been long since settled. Add to that, Ford did not expect the popularity of the IUP package and thus, the orders that included the package may have been subject to delays.

The Mustang, overall, has been a huge success for Ford....all models, but particularly the GTs and convertibles. Shortages of V8 engines have arisen. That only adds to the already heavy backlog.

Ford has hit it's limit in the amount of GTs it will produce....to the point where some '05 GTs can't be produced by the end of the '05 model year. That's given that Ford upped production of the Mustang about a month ago. They still can't keep up with demand.

Dealer allocation and priority assessment has entered into the picture as Ford is trying to get Mustangs out to the dealerships based on their allotment system (based on previous year's Mustang sales). Many dealers don't have any more allotments for GTs or convertibles. They will get no more '05 GTs or convertibles. You are at the mercy of your dealer to tell you this when you order.

As far as priority assessment, that's strictly a dealer call what priority you get. But, even if they placed an order with a priority 10 (which is the best you can get from the dealer), if they don't have allotment left, it still won't get built for '05. Dealer priority goes from 10 (best) to 99 (will never get built).

Add to that, dealers know they can get MSRP or above for their stock units. So, they are reluctant to place orders for folks that may have one of the Ford special pricing plans (like X, A, D ,etc), or to give them a high priority.

Where does this leave those who want their '05 Mustang GT or convertible? Well, my best guess is to forget about that order you placed (unless your dealer is assuring you that they will indeed get yours in based on their "incoming" sheets.

If you want an '05 GT or convertible now, the best thing to do is to go to the dealer you trust, see what they have coming in, and make a deal on it before it hits their lot.

If not, wait for '06 ordering to begin (sometime in June/July time frame) and order one.

You can also try to do a search on forddirect.com to see if any dealers within your geography have any in stock. If they do, high tale it to the dealer to buy it if it's relatively close to what you want.
  • weighmasterweighmaster Member Posts: 8
    Hello, Im a first time poster looking not to get screwed too much by my ignorance of car buying at the hands of the dealer, so i was wondering if 2005 V6 Deluxe Mustangs are being sold for under MSRP? Ive talked to 2 dealers and they gave me a quick quote of 22000 out the door, I feel as though I can get one for 20,000 out the door , is it reasonable to believe I can?
  • litt10litt10 Member Posts: 6
    Going to order a black GT on Friday. The salesman said expect the car in
    approx 6 to 8 weeks. I would like to know if this time frame is accurate
    litt10:

From what i've read in the posts and the advise given by several people here, there is no definite answer to your question. It seems to be dependant on several factors: the options you order, whether you are using one of Ford's special purchase plans, the dealer's product allotment. There are some who placed orders in November and December that are still waiting. I placed my order 2 weeks ago and haven't received a confirmation of build date yet, which was to be expected. The dealership I ordered from, told me that my GT wouldn't arrive until mid-July. My assumption then is that there is quite a backlog of orders and that the dealership was using a car from their July allotment for my order. Now we know what happens when we assume, but I will take them for their word because they have been fairly straight forward with me so far. Since I am not in a great need for a new car, I really don't mind the wait. I have even resigned to the fact that I may need to wait for an '06 model, but I sure would like to get my hands on this car so I can find out for myself what all the rave reviews are about. Good Luck, the sooner you order it the sooner you will get it.
  • racingjayracingjay Member Posts: 19
    Weighmaster:

It is very possbile.

I bought an 05 V6 Premium last week for invoice. Do you homework and pit the dealers against each other, and it will pay off. Dont know what kind of equipment you are after, but drove my stang out the door for $20,200. $1500 off MSRP.

Good luck - stay away from the manual transmissions. They make finding exactly what you want impossible!!

J
  • weighmasterweighmaster Member Posts: 8
    Forgot to mention that Im in the Bay Area, and Im just lookin for the base manual tranny (deluxe) with nothing extra (maybe the machined alum. rims if anything)... Im can live with half the colors they offer, and the basic sound and interior the deluxe has is fine enough for me... If you got a premium for 20200, I guess I can low ball a Deluxe at 18500
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter with a national magazine is on a series of articles with real people and their car buying experiences. The reporter is looking for people who have recently purchased a car and had an interesting car buying experience using non-traditional methods. Specfically, the reporter would like to speak with people who have purchased a Mustang, Chrysler 300, Dodge Magnum, a Mini Cooper hardtop or convertible or a hybrid vehicle of any make. If you fit what the reporter is looking for, please email the details of your car buying experience with your contact information to kholguin@edmunds.com by Friday, April 22, 2005.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mike53mike53 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry, but that is obviously an uneducated salesman. Realistically, expect a Ford Mustang GT (without interior upgrade) to be delivered in about 18 to 24 weeks after ordered. This is because Ford is having problems meeting demand and now becoming short on parts. We ordered a GT in December and are still awaiting an official build date. Fortunately, we purchased one for a dealer with a high allocation which means we will most likely get one as oppose to dealers with low allocation that may not be able to attain one at all. Include the interior upgrade package and can just forget about beating this model year.
  • litt10litt10 Member Posts: 6
    Went to order my Mustang GT on Friday was told by the salesman that it takes about 6 months. He said I would be better off ordering a 2006 so thats what I am going to do. He did say if he got his hands on a 2005 with the options and color I want I could have that one.
    As everyone else has pointed out, '05 Mustang GTs are pretty much sold out. Matter of fact, last I heard a few weeks ago, Ford said that they had 13,000 ordered '05 GTs that would not get built. I'm sure that number is higher now.

Orders for '06s will begin in May. Based on what I've heard, there's a waiting list for the first '06s is getting long, too.

I do think there will be a trickle of '05 GTs coming into dealerships as they are probably orders that the dealership placed a while ago. But, you'll have to be diligent in finding them. They usually sell as soon as they hit the dealership's lot.

Although, there are more '05 V6s Mustangs available, I wouldn't plan on getting them near invoice. Maybe try to offer $500 over invoice and see if that flies. My guess is, they'll bring $1,000 over invoice, however.
    Can I assume then that if my order for an '05 GT does not get build, that the order will rollover to the '06 model year? Or am I going to have to go through the whole ordering process over again?
    I don't believe that any unbuilt '05 Mustang automatically rolls over to an '06 model. You'd have to place the order for an '06, which you can do beginning in May.
  • sonicstangsonicstang Member Posts: 1
    I live about an hour North of NYC and purchased an '05 Premium V6 with the interior & exterior Sports Upgrade, alarm system, wheel locking kit, etc. After MANY headaches I finally got her for $500 under MSRP. Everywhere I went they were trying to get me for over MSRP, using the lack of GT's as the excuse. I never even considered a GT...the V6 has more than enough power for me and gas mileage wise - no need for the extra power. The biggest scam I found was a dealership that had all models without the exterior sports upgrade...so their gig was to charge you $699 for the "customer painted spoiler" and $299 for the "vinyl self-stick stripe". Yes - a GRAND for options that cost you only $299 total from FORD!! To boot the dealership wanted to sell me a bill of goods that FORD doesn't have these spoilers pre-painted in-stock and the $699 was to cover the "customer paint job". Uh - Huh!

In the end I walked in the last dealership being rude. When he asked if he can help I told him No and then thought better by advising him I CHALLENGE him to help me & I'm tired of being lied to. The result? "What do you want"...so I told him. He asked for 3 minutes to try & locate me what I wanted....and low & behold...60 seconds later....my car was found with everything I wanted in NJ. I had her in my hot little hands a week later.

All's well that ends well....love her & HIGHLY recommend her to anyone trying to talk themselves out of it!!! You deserve it!!!
  • mike05mustgtmike05mustgt Member Posts: 2
    I ordered my '05 Premium Black on Black Mustang GT back in Oct. '04 for MSRP and was driving it down the strip in San Diego a week later. I tried X Plan but I was unsuccessful in getting that price (which was approximately $2.5K off MSRP). I LOVE this car but I will be willing to depart with her if I can get my hands on a '07 Shelby GT500 (due out next summer).
  • mike05mustgtmike05mustgt Member Posts: 2
    Dealers are a huge hassle! Order on-line, if possible :P
  • neogeno213neogeno213 Member Posts: 1
    I'm not the biggest fan of the newer mustang, although I still like it - i'm purchasing a 'new' 2004 mustang convertible (v6) that hasnt been sold yet. I was hoping to get a deal. The MSRP is somewhere around 27,800 - after cash backs and dumb incentives its down to around 24,900 or so - how much should i be able to bargain down to? I was hoping to get a good deal with the older model
    I posted awhile back regarding ordering a 2005 Mustang GT....I ordered in November 2004 and still have not seen my new stang! I've started to call Ford direct and bug them weekly, hoping to get them rolling on my 6 month and waiting order. I'm waiting to hear back from my dealer this next week about what happens if my 2005 isn't fulfilled, does it automatically roll to a 2006...he seemed to think it would, as if all of us who have ordered and haven't got them, all that would do is piss a whole bunch of people off having to basically get back in line and wait again.
    If they don't roll over, I will be there on May 1st doing my re-order at the 2005 price, which I have been promised by my dealer. I hear that those V8 engines they are so short on are in competition with the Ford F150 pick up trucks that carry the same engine. Lovely. I'm not giving up yet, and I'm not succumbing to a V6. I'll send through an update on the 2006 ordering when I hear. Let's hope a re-order is NOT going to have to happen!! :mad:
    Ford is not accepting any new orders for the '05 Mustang GTs. They have more than enough orders in the pipeline to keep the plant busy for the rest of the '05 build out through their '06 changeover shutdown in July. Matter of fact, at least 13,000 orders will go unfilled.

'05 orders do not automatically roll over to '06 models. To get an '06, you'll have to reorder through your dealer.

The single biggest reason that Ford has had problems fulfilling orders is that demand has far outstripped Ford's ability to fill them. Ford even upped production and still can't fulfill all '05 orders.

You should be able to place an order for an '06 on May 15.
  • mike53mike53 Member Posts: 2
    How much longer do you think the wait for a Mustang GT (coupe) that just entered into production this week might take to be built and delivered to the dealer?
    If they are producing it this week, it's reasonable to think that they will have it ready for shipment by the end of the week. Depending on where you live, it will either go on a truck carrier (if you live within 200-250 miles of Flat Rock) and/or a train carrier.

If it's shipped via train, your Mustang will be delivered to a regional facility and then picked up via truck to be delivered to your dealer. I'd say another 10-14 days for delivery after it's built. If you're close and it's trucked to your dealer, I'd say 5-10 days for delivery after it's built.
  • captnfredcaptnfred Member Posts: 4
    I planned to order a 2005 GT in early April, but after reading that Ford’s production was way behind and orders may not be filled prior to year’s end, I decided to look for a comparable V6. After an internet dealer’s inventory search from Las Vegas, NV to Albuquerque, NM I found a V6 in Serria Vista, AZ with everything I wanted:

V6 Coupe Premium, 5 speed manual, satin silver, dark charcoal leather, power driver’s seat, 16” bright machined wheels, interior and exterior sport package (I peeled off the door stripes, yuck), passive alarm, window tint, Shaker 500, anti-lock brakes and traction control.

The MSRP was $22,355 and the dealer had a $2,000 mark-up on the sticker. After downloading the invoice from Edmunds, I added $500 and it came to $21,500. That was to be my final offer. At the dealer, I test drove the V6 and was really impressed. My 1988 Ranger (bought new) has a 2.9 liter V6 with a 5 speed manual and always had enough power for me. This V6 Mustang had a great sound and a lot more power than I would have imagined. We then test drove a GT. This is the only dealer I’ve been to that even had a GT available for a test drive. The GT was awesome, but we passed a cop on the drive and I had to hit the brakes (way too fast a car for me). After the test drives, I told the salesman that if he gave me a smoking deal on the V6, I would write him a check today.

He showed me a copy of their invoice and said he would sell it to me for $500 over or $21,585. I couldn’t believe it! I showed him my paperwork with $21,500 as my top offer and said if he would match my top we had a deal. Three minutes later he was back and we had a deal for $21,500. A few days later when I picked up the car, I hit the fleet manager up for a case of oil and two filters which he gave to me for wholesale. The whole experience was great, no pressure, very friendly and I think a great deal. If you’re looking for a Ford dealer in southern Arizona, I would recommend Lawley Team Ford in Sierra Vista.

One week and 2,000 miles later, I’ve had no problems with the car. It’s a rocket from 65 to 90 and handles much better than I expected. The side window tint does scratch easily and the jack rabbit I nailed the other night at 40 mph didn’t help the front air deflector much, but other than that, what an awesome ride!
    Good deal on your V6. Those GTs are scarcer than a sober person in New Orleans during Mardi Gras.

I keep hearing of tint scratching. I think that's a function of the tinter's expertise, not Ford. If a tinter can not do a decent enough prep job to keep their tint job from scratching, on any car, I think I'd either forgo tinting, or find someone who is more adept at doing a good job.

While I've not driven a V6, I hear that they are speedy in thier own right.

I can attest to the GT having "awsome" acceleration. Personally, all the cars I've owned probably have had more power than I'll ever need. But, that's why I buy them.
  • fidothedogfidothedog Member Posts: 2
    I walked into Ted Britt Ford in Chantilly VA (DC suburb) and they had a Mustang GT Convertible on the showroom floor with a....get this....$10,000 premium on it. Salesperson said this was the going price in the DC area for a Mustang GT Conv but I could have it with a $8,000 premium. I called around and the cheapest I could find was a $6,000 premium above MSRP. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out supply and demand but it also leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. I passed on the offer and will wait for a better deal on the 06s. I cannot imagine the depreciation hit a buyer would take if they actually bought a $31,000 car with a $10,000 premium (total of $41,000). I figure vehicle would only be worth around $25,000 in two years (40% depreciation hit). Also, I also think that at $41,000 I would be looking at BMW convertibles instead.
  • 1panky1panky Member Posts: 34
    fidothedog, I agree with you wholeheartedly. One can only talk to the first owners of the latest version of the Thunderbird. The first year premiums were 10K plus including money paid under the table to get on the delivery list. A year later major rebates were offered and now salesmen are begging you to look at one that has been accumulating dust on the lot. In addition, imagine the up-side-down financing problems these first owners must be facing today. One must remember that these vehicles are production models and presently in short supply caused by poor production planning of the manufacturer. These vehicles. although nostalgic to some degree, do not fall under the category of true limited production models such as a Roush or Bullet version that would trigger some level of a premium over msrp. A cool head and a patient attitude will reward you with big financial dividends in the end when production finally catches up to this initial demand backlog. Another added benefit of waiting are that the build glitches that are present on the current model should be corrected on your later model purchase. For me, having major surgery on a new car such as a fuel tank replacement or having to live with "popping" sounds would end my honeymoon period quickly.
  • danmandanman Member Posts: 16
    I was one of those people that ran out and paid above MSRP on the 2005 Mustang, Had to have it. $2k above to be one of the first which I think I was in my area, $30k for a $28k MSRP car. Awesome car, best Mustang I have ever driven, but had all the mentioned problems, fuel tank, shaker stereo and the final nail in the coffin was the squeaks and rattles that coudln't be fixed on 5+ tries. Even went to a second dealer. Pretty angry when I have people laughing at me and yelling at me while trying to fill my gas tank on a brand new $30k car! I know how to pump my own gas, never had anything likie that happen in my 20+ yrs of driving new cars. I Invoked my rights with the Lemon law and got my $$ back. Checking other alternatives in American muscle now. If I had those rattles now, who knows what it would be like 3+ yrs from now. I hope for 2006 Ford gets it's act together.