Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mrq0529mrq0529 Member Posts: 5
    fidothedog I ran into the same thing some dealers wanted as much $6000 above sticker.Stay away from the salespeople, go on line or talk to the fleet sales. I ordered a Mustang GT convertible from North County Ford in Vista Ca. on 1-28-05 and took delivery 3-23-05 and paid $1500 over dealer invoice which is still less than MSRP.Total $31853.51 plus tax and license.Extras included: automatic trans, interior upgrade pkg, 17" brt machined wheels, whl locking kit, convert boot, plus they tacked on advertizing fee. They stopped taking orders on 05's 4-8-05 so if you didn't get ordered before then, order a 06
  • peebeepeebee Member Posts: 1
    It took about 5 weeks for me.
  • huck1huck1 Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know whether any of the audio systems currently available for the 05's are ipod connectable or have a "line in"?

Many thanks.

huck
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    There is a line in, but I don't think it's activated yet.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    danman....how did your buyback work? Did they refund the $2K above MSRP you paid?

While I don't know what your situation was with your dealer, but it sounds line they've got a poor service dept. Shakers have been fixed. Slow fuel fill has been fixed.

My Mustang is as solid as a rock....no squeaks, no rattles....just great American muscle.
    Thanks again graphicguy, but i'm afraid you've lost me. Activated yet? Could you elaborate please. Do you know which system has the line in - the standard package or do i have to go the shaker route?

Regards

Huck
  • spletzer1spletzer1 Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking to buy a 2005 Gt Convert Premium very soon. I have A-Plan access. What experieces have people in my situation had? Could I get one at or around invoice at one of our "31 Metro-Detroit Ford Dealers", or should I not waste my time? I'm willing to go to INDIANA, ILLINOIS or OHIO (yuck) if I have to.

Go Blue.
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    Now why would a dealer want to sell a very high demand car for for an A-Plan price when they can get MUCH more otherwise? You will not find a dealer that will discount a 2005 Mustang GT... let alone a convertable. Dont waist your time expect to pay at least 3k over MSRP on a good day.
    huck....just posting what Ford customer service told me. I have an I-Pod, too. They said that there is a connector on back of the Shaker system for this, but it's not activated, yet. They didn't give me a time frame. Some folks have been using an FM modulator to use their I-Pod in with the Mustang stereo, though. I believe only the shaker has the line-in, but I've not looked at the standard stereo to know for certain.
    Hey....I live in OH....;-)

Mustangs, especially GTs (both convertibles and coupes) are totally done for '05. Whatever units are coming out of the factory now, either have a buyer who special ordered, or they are spoken for by someone at the dealership's customer level.

So, while you may find a 'vert on a lot here or there, most dealerships won't touch "A" plan pricing. You might want to try to order an '06 'vert to see if they bite on A plan, though.
  • stelapstelap Member Posts: 1
    I am in Detroit and ordered April 21 with a 10 priority from my dealer. And it was ordered Z Plan. The dealer has a high allocation and didn't flinch when I said the Z word.
    graphicguy.....many thanks once again for taking the time.
    Much appreciated.

huck
    huck....you are very welcome.

I've seen a trickle of 'vert GTs every once in a while at SW OH dealers. They are usually gone the next day, however. Same with coupe GTs.

If you can find a 'vert GT on a dealer's lot, there's no harm in trying to see if you can buy on "Z" plan. Just be prepared for that not happening.

Personally, I'd try for an '06. Order one exactly the way you want it. You might have better luck with Z plan on an '06.

In my scenario, I ordered my coupe GT in Feb....in the middle of a snow storm. Dealer wasn't quite sure how sales were going to be so he didn't balk at X plan pricing. I wouldn't even attempt an X plan deal today given the Spring weather and the obvious wild popularity that has been the '05 Mustang.
  • purplegtpurplegt Member Posts: 22
    Hey graphicguy...have a question for you....it's been a few weeks since I checked the boards here....are you affiliated with a dealer or work for Ford? Just curious...
    I did specifically call my dealership regarding roll over from 2005 to 2006, asked if I'd have to re-order if my 2005 isn't made. I've been waiting since NOVEMBER 2004 and still have not got a build date for the car. They told me that mine would roll over into a 2006, no re-order necessary. Said it would just totally tick the customers off who have already ordered and have been waiting for months for their GT....and have to wait in line again. I have called Ford direct several times, have sent emails direct to Ford, I get everything from they are short on the V8 engines to short on the "my color" option, etc....the last phone call to ford I was told that the COMPUTER hadn't picked my car for production yet. Give me a break! Ford is hurting themselves by putting those of us who ordered in 2004 on the back burner, going through this hassle just once leaves a really bad taste in a persons mouth. I bought from a small dealership in Wisconsin, again, dealer allocation problem. I got a phone call today from my salesman, he's moved to a bigger dealership and offered me to order from them now as they have a bigger allocation. So what is the TRUE story here? I'm getting a total run around. I got what I thought was an excellent price on my GT...$26,040 with 500 shaker stereo, my color option, premium wheels and automatic transmission. MSRP is showing $28,500 on line for these options, so know if I go elsewhere now, I'm screwed price-wise. So if I want one, I continue to wait. But really would like the true story on having to re-order if I don't get my 2005......Thanks for listening..... :confuse:
  • shannieshannie Member Posts: 1
    Luggy, did u get your GT yet?? Just curious
  • spletzer1spletzer1 Member Posts: 2
    Here's my correspondence with a Ford Dealer in Metro Detroit. I'm going to try and find a higher volume dealer. thank you everyone for the response.

Thank you for your inquiry on the all new 2005 Ford Mustang. Due to an overwhelming response to the new Mustang, Ford is currently backed up on all GT Coupe and Convertible orders at this time. This means currently we are receiving approximately one Mustang per month of current orders that are in our bank at this time. Therefore, quoting a payment on a Mustang GT at this time is unrealistic since we may not have any GTs available for stock for approximately 6-9 months. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, however if you are interested in the general price of a Mustang, I will be happy to provide that for you. Also, if you are interested in ordering a new Mustang and are willing to wait several months for your order to be complete I will also be happy to sit down with you and work out the specific details for your new Mustang. Please note there is a $500 deposit on all Mustang orders, paid at the time the order is placed.
    ---------
    Thank you, Christine for the prompt response. If I were to order a Mustang and place a $500 deposit, would I be paying MSRP, MSRP plus a premium, Invoice Price or A-Plan (I am A-Plan eligible)?

Thanks again-
    Paul
    -------------------------
    If you are A plan eligible, you will only pay A plan price, plus tax and plates. At this time anything ordered will be a 2006 model. However, you are welcome to come in and place and order with a deposit (which will go towards the selling price of your car) and if there are any changes for the 2006 model year we will notify you and give you the opportunity to make the changes accordingly. If y ou would like to schedule an appointment to order a Mustang GT please feel free to contact me by email or directly at XXX.
  • gt9gt9 Member Posts: 6
    i ordered my GT premium on jan 20 and i picked it up on apr 21 of this year and paid sticker price. i have heard of dealers adding any where from 1,000 to as much as 10,000 for the GT coupe. good luck on finding a stang GT coupe or convertible.
  • gtluvrgtluvr Member Posts: 10
    :D I had a Mustang GT back in 1996 with side pipes and quite a beauty. I had to part with it later due to situations.
    For all these years I wanted another and when the new 2005 came out and as soon as I saw the new look, I started looking around.
    I wanted a GT but of course that was hard to find so after 5 good hours of wrestling a decent price and a trade in, I drove off the lot with a beautiful Windivel Blue with the appearance package, V6, automatic. That was in Feb.
    I loved my car but I REALLY wanted that GT and there were none to be found.
    I live in Tucson, AZ and local ford dealer, Jim Click, saved my day. I was contacted by a rep. that a deal had fallen through and they had a GT. I got there in no time and it was a beauty. I would have ordered myself, but some unlucky guy lost out.
    I DID get to take a test drive in it and what a thrill that was. Even the rep. was having fun because they can not test drive the GT's or the Thunderbirds.
    After some talking I traded my V6 in for the GT. My V6 had only 1400 miles and I lost very little from what I paid for it.
    He is a Sonic Blue, coupe, manual white med graph. interior and My Color select for night driving is a cool blue. It has the upgrade interior and is a premium model. It sounds incredible and the drive in it is awesome.
    So, I feel real lucky with this and to a great ford dealership Jim Click has here. Good,attentive salesmen AND they had a special. A $100.00 gas card and a 3 day 2 night expenses paid trip to my choice destination in the U.S.
    I am not surprised these cars and the V6's are hard to find!! GITYUP!
  • gtluvrgtluvr Member Posts: 10
    Hey gt9,speaking of luck, check out my story. Enjoy your auto!!
  • waitingjoewaitingjoe Member Posts: 4
    I need a new vehicle. Love the look of the 05 Stang, but couldn't justify the price (local dealer had 2.5k mark-up). I checked with the Credit Union United Buying Service (UBS gets you $100 over invoice) and they said no dealers would honor that deal on the 05 Stang. So I resigned myself to just getting a new truck (need to have some kind of truck). UBS sent me to Len Stoller in Maryland for a UBS deal on a truck. As I was talking to the UBS sales woman, I mentioned how much I liked the Mustangs. "why don't you get one?" "Because I can't get UBS pricing on them" "I'll give you UBS Pricing on it" ......... " !!!!!!!!!! "
    So I put a deposit on a Mineral Gray with all options but leather, 1000, spoiler delete, upgrade rims and Auto trans for roughly $26.6k on the road.
    That was Feb 14th 2005.... I am still waiting for my order to be picked up from the dealership. Almost 15 weeks so far. After reading a lot of post, I have grown suspicious. Why would they sell me a Mustang for a few thousand less then they could sell it to someone else? Then again, she did offer the UBS pricing on the Mustang when I went in for a truck!
    I have been calling her every Friday for 14 weeks now. She told me that Ford only picks up orders on Thursdays. This past week she wasn't there but the guy on the phone checked, still not picked up. He did however saying something bout checking every day, indicating that maybe Ford doesn't just check for orders one day a week.
    Anyone got info on that? I am starting to feel like I am probably being used somehow.. ie. my order probably came in but they sold it to a walk in for a $$ mark up and then resubmitted my order or something like that.
    Has anyone else had to wait more then 14 weeks? 15 weeks once I call her this Friday.
    My AC is gone on my S-10. It needs tie-rods, ball joints, a muffler (too name a few things) and it's getting more difficult to get it in gear every day. I don't want to put money into it when I have a new Mustang on order, but dread the thought of driving around with no AC for another 2 months only to be told my order never got "picked up"... thats assuming my S-10 lasts another 2 months as a daily commuter.
  • scramberscramber Member Posts: 2
    I ordered an 05 GT w/ upgrades and the retail was 26855, we are paying 24846
  • scramberscramber Member Posts: 2
    I ordered my car on January 28th. We are at 15 weeks+ now. My car just started being built YESTERDAY and the dealer said that it SHOULD be here by June 8th. It probably wouldn't be so bad if the people at the dealership had a clue.
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    A quote is worth a can of beans. What metters is if the car comes in and the final price you pay OTD. If it sounds to good to be true is sure is.
    Now why would a dealer quote you a price lower than what they can sell a high demand car like a Muistang GT for?.... go figure.
    congrats. enjoy your GT i just love mine.
    the dealer i dealt with told me that ford gives each dealer an allotment. they probably used up the 05 allotment. they are waiting on the 06's. call and ask them.
    purpleGT....sorry it's taken awhile to get back to you. I've been travelling for work.

I bought my GT under a friend's X plan deal. He works for Ford. The deal was $25,600 for my Mustang which had an MSRP of $28,100....just a little under invoice since Ford raised the price of the Mustang while mine was being built. Under X plan rules, I was price protected, however. Thus, an under invoice deal.

I got lucky. Once I made up my mind I wanted the Mustang GT, I began shopping. This was in Feb. In OH, we were coming off one of the worst winters in recent memory. They was still a lot of snow on the ground when I started visiting dealerships. Stock was almost non-existent (as it is now) when I started looking around. I probably visited 6 or so Ford dealerships within a 50 mile radius of me. I only found two in stock within all the dealerships I visited at the time. One wanted MSRP for their Mustang GT. The other one that had stock wanted over MSRP. Neither was willing to negotiate. No matter, neither one had the color/equipment I wanted.

During yet another snow storm, I went to two dealerships close to my home. None of them had stock of GTs and neither had any customers in the showroom as the weather was going from bad to worse. Both said they'd order one for me on X plan pricing, however. I ordered exactly what I wanted at the dealership closest to me. Fortunately, I had a "straight up" dealer. They ordered what I wanted at their highest priority number and kept me apprised of it's build status. I got mine in 7 weeks from the date of my order. Others, who have waited for months, have had their dealerships sell their ordered cars to customers who were willing to pay more, or they just didn't give a high enough priority number to get the car built in a timely manner.

Today, I doubt I could have made that same deal as the Mustang's popularity has gone up exponentially since then.

If you haven't received your '05 GT on an order placed in November, I wouldn't hold out any hope of getting it. The dealer probably put their stock vehicles ahead of your ordered car since they make more money on them.

It's true. You can't order an '05 GT today since all dealer allotment is spoken for at this point. You should be able to order an '06 by now, though. I would imagine, with a priority # 10, that build should begin sometime in late July....early August for a Sept delivery. Honoring X, D, Z, A, etc plans is totally up to the dealer as it's voluntary.

Allocation is totally dealer dependent. While a bigger dealer will have more allotment, they will also have more customers in line waiting to order.

Fact is, you have to start the order process all over again to get an '06 GT.
  • gtforme2gtforme2 Member Posts: 23
    Your's is the old story of "Right Place @ the Right Time"....

I drive a 96 Taurus (bought new) with 296K on it as of 5/18/05. Knew I needed to start looking for car. Almost got a Chrysler 300 Hemi last year. However, given the relatively poor reliability of the past 2 Chry T&C's (98 & 01) we've owned and my brothers multiple issues with his 99 300M, I started to think that Chrysler quality still isn't there. So, started really looking @ family sedans, and more I looked realized that really wanted something different. So for kicks looked @ Sport Sedans and then just kept clicking away and came upon the Mustang. Obviously, impressed by the looks. Started me thinking back to High School days and guy in town (every one knew him by name because of his car) had a 69 Mustang Shelby 500GT convertible. I loved that car. I've have always remembered it (like your first girlfriend). That started me looking more into mustangs and reading about them and from there I got bitten, decided I'd go try one.

Well on March 28th, stopped in little NH, home town Ford dealer, saw GT convert on the lot, said couldn't drive it, said fine, tell me what the cost is....kid in business 3 months....left me waiting for 15 minutes and then comes back and starts the crap of let's build you a configuration to price out....we do that...another 15 minutes goes by....I say OK, look, all's I want is the list price of this car (as we configured it)....another 5 minutes goes by (I thought he was trying out for the wizard of OZ, guy keeps disappearing behind the curtain) while back/forth to talk with manager. Finally, he comes back and says working on it, I say you got exactly 1 minute to give me a price or I'm gone...

March 29th go out for lunch @ work (50 miles away from hometown) visit big city (Manch, NH) dealer, tell guy (very relaxed approach) just want price on Mustang. He sits me down @ desk, fires up computer, has me sit right next to him and details everything out, shows me dealer cost and retail. I ask about discounts, says will only accept retail. I order Stang then,there (never driven, started or sat in one).

That day and next, I called 10 other ford dealers (including 4 in metropolitan Boston) nobody taking anything less than MSRP for GT Convert (couple wanted 2K +, one other in Portsmouth, NH wanted 5K over MSRP for an ordered!!!.....) and everybody indicates any dealer order/allocated, spoken for....Today rec'd the call, my car is now built and waiting transportation to dealership. Expected on the ground @ dealership on June 11th. Can't wait....

By the way, thanks a ton on the tip about the Order Priority of 10. Turned out key for me....when looked @ order detail, my order originally had a 99 (called my sales guy, he indicated that's code use when building quote in computer and assign new # once live order, said good thing I caught it, said 99 would never get built). :D
  • purplegtpurplegt Member Posts: 22
    Hey there, thx for the reply...I just went through another week of game playing, emailed Ford Direct about my situation, got a standard customer service letter back with nothing but bull roar. They said "The Computer" has yet to pick my car to be built. And that although they will be more than happy to keep me apprised of my build date via their toll free number, I should have my dealer rep contact Ford to provide further information. Been there, done that, sorry. I tried to find my priority number on my sales receipt, but was all hand written, no priorty number to be found. Mine must have been a 99...

Another funny thing happened, my sales rep called me, he has now left the dealer I purchased from and is working for another Ford dealer down the road. Said he had an 05 Torch Red with all the options I ordered on his lot, with 1000 miles on it. The guy who owned it traded it for a corvette. Am I interested? I had a leap of hope, thinking, cool, here's my chance. Asked the sticker price, he hesitates, kind of chuckles and says $35,000....but said I know, I know, that's not what it's going to sell for...(it's NOT a convertible)....says to bring my paperwork over and we'll talk a deal. The more I thought about it, the more it made me mad, I'm not paying $10,000 over the price I ordered mine for...NOT. I'm not paying a price game and I'm not paying over MSRP, period, I'll wait.

So I emailed my dealer and kind of got a bit nasty due to the whole 7 month wait situation, and mentioned the above conversation, and that this is the 3rd vehicle we have bought new from them and hoped that they would have more consideration to my situation, what is the real deal, etc....and I'm now dealing with the owner since my salesman is gone. After talking to his rep, he seems to think I may have a chance of getting it by late June. Says he'll have details on ordering the 2006 model in a couple of weeks. If my 05 comes in and I decide I still want it, fine....if not, he'll put it on the lot to sell and order me a 2006 at the same pricing and I'd have first allotment. Woo...big deal at this point. If my 05 manages to get here by end of June, sorry, I'm taking it as I need to sell my 96 Mustang before winter flies....it's just all become a big joke.

When I started the process in November, I played the internet game, emailed all the dealers in my area and basically did internet bids for ordering to get the price I wanted...like you, the weather was turning bad here, cars weren't selling. I had the bigger dealers in larger cities not wanting to budge at all, it came down to 3 smaller dealers that were willing to play with me. And since I had already bought my first Mustang through my current dealer they wanted my business and gave me the best price. I had done a lot of research on pricing and was not about to pay MSRP. Knew there were ways around it. But now that is pretty much history as we all know, it's spring, and they aren't going to budge.

I'll keep in touch and let you know how this all plays out, it's definitely been a learning experience, one I don't want to attempt again. And it's been great reading everyone else's experiences here, it's given me much insight. PLUS, reading the other boards of those having problems with the first one's off the lines, gas tank difficulties, stereo difficulties, etc, etc, I'm glad I didn't get one of the first few months made, hoping the bugs will all be worked out of them by now!

Wish me luck......... :P :confuse:
  • scottymomscottymom Member Posts: 1
    Purplegt,
    Are you thinking of selling the 96? I had one and sold it 5 yrs. ago and have regretted it ever since. Prettiest mustang on the road.
  • kaihenrykaihenry Member Posts: 5
    Ford did good? This company is in financial trouble - and I know why: They produce the first popular car in years, but:

- they are not able to increase production quick enough,
    - they don't export the car to other countries (where they could earn much higher margins)

Ford made a popular car, but they are not doing good at all.
    purple....good luck. I believe you are looking at MSRP for either an '05 or an '06. If that's the stumbling block, wait until this winter and see what happens. For the most part, my dealer is sold out of '06 allotment until the middle of next year.

I was definitely in the right place at the right time. Back in Feb '05, none of the dealers within 10 miles of me knew if they had a "hit" on their hands or not. Since the few they had coming off the trucks were being sold, even at MSRP, it still wasn't a guage on what would happen when the weather got nice. Since then, the cars hit the lot and sell within hours (sometimes before they roll off the truck)....at least true of the GTs and 'verts.

If your dealer is offering MSRP, I'd jump on it if you're planning on getting a Mustang within the next 6-8 months. After that, who knows (except I'd expect some price increases in the meantime).
  • fidothedogfidothedog Member Posts: 2
    Have the '06 allotments been released yet? Do allotments get released to all dealers at the same time?
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    " Purplegt,
    Are you thinking of selling the 96? I had one and sold it 5 yrs. ago and have regretted it ever since. Prettiest mustang on the road. "

--end quote--

Ah yes, looks wise, I would say, other than a '67-'68, the '94-98 had about the best styling one could ask for in a Stang. Not that the new one is not good looking. Come time to buy one I have to ask myself if I want a car which compares looks 1 to 1 with the '68 and will lose that comparison. As for interior the rounded dash looks great, and the tach and speedometer though a little smallish look fine and are placed correctly. The old car was a bit smaller and had a bit smaller butt. The new car however has a better stick and a few handling upgrades which add value. While the '04 or the '05 flat sided look is not a deal breaker when buying I guess, it is not as pleasing to the eye as a more rounded car. Does everything now-a-days have to be flat sided?
    Loren
    I had heard that orders for '06s was supposed to begin in the middle of May. You'd have to ask your specific dealer about their allotments because than changes from dealer to dealer.
  • wildhorsewildhorse Member Posts: 10
    We've been shopping for a convertible for a couple weeks now and it came down to the 05 Mustang convertible. Well we found out how quick they leave the lot, was having a hard time finding one to test drive. A local dealer had a manual drive one left in his internet inventory of 5, had sold the rest just over the weekend. We test drove a used automatic V8 hardtop he had on the lot. The next day he got the inventory V6 convertible in from the "holding facility" and we test drove it and fell in love. Well we really wanted wanted an automatic and the dark blue color, asked if he could find us one but we thought it be days or months before he could locate one with the exact packages and such. OMG...within the hour he had located one in the state and made a deal with the dealer to trade the manual one for the blue automatic. Now coming here to read how long or how hard its been to get one, I am glad we jumped and signed papers when he found this one. Plus we got it under the X-plan discount too. So both of us are very happy, hubby got his brand new sporty convertible, I got the color and automatic transmission I wanted. Picking her up this afternoon after dealer prep and having the windows tinted. Our credit union did beat Ford's loan rates so went with the credit union.
    Did you get a roll bar installed?
    Loren
  • mustangsally3mustangsally3 Member Posts: 18
    Congrats on your new Mustang. I ordered mine in Nov. and received it Feb. (3 months later). I was getting a little concerned also about waiting so long. But it was worth the wait! I paid 25,600 for a GT sonic blue, black leather int., upgraded int. package, machined wheels, side air bags and the Shaker 500. I researched prices through my credit union and took those with me when I went to the dealership here in Virginia. If they want to sell it, they will come down on the MSRP...Good luck to all those still waiting.

I love mustangs...I also have a '67 fastback, would never part with it!
    mustangsally3
  • wildhorsewildhorse Member Posts: 10
    I don't think these come with a roll bar... at least this one doesn't have one and I haven't even seen a roll bar you can have installed anywhere I have looked online for the V6 convertable. I know the Toyota Camery didnt' have a roll bar either when we test drove it. Insurance actually wasn't bad at all on this car even without roll bars on it.
    Owners of convertibles do have fewer accidents and they have less claims over all, so your insurance cost will be less with a soft top. It has mainly to do with the type of owner, I would think. The Mustang scores well in crash tests. The higher insurance rates for the hardtop are due to the number of idiots which by these cars and push their luck too far and injury, or kill themselves of others along with the car. If you look at the Mustang, Corvette and Camaro crash test scores and the efforts the manufactures put into the cars to make them safe, it is amazing how many still find a way to defeat the efforts. And then they call a Corvette or a Mustang GT an unsafe car because some fool was doing 120 in traffic, shot off the road and crashed and burned. Yeah, like the car did that itself. The Mustang does not have a roll bar, and I assume that Autopower in San Diego would be a good source. Problem is cosmetics. Getting one installed without destroying to look of the car, the interior and such is not always easy. And if near the head, SFI padding is needed, and then something like a leather cover of it to make things look right. It is really not right that US and Japan cars ( I think Honda S2000 has one ) do not have a stock bar installed. All German cars will now come with roll bars. You will see the hoops, or a pop up tee that pops up, if you look closely at say a VW, or other German car. As for the wind on the back of the neck with the top down.....no problem, I use a hooded sweatshirt, and never even consider the windscreens. Heck, on hot days wind is good! Actual, with a windscreen up, I wonder why they did not just make some of these cars as targa tops - why not?
    :shades:
    Loren
  • vppreachervppreacher Member Posts: 72
    For those of you who have ordered a 2005 Mustang, I was wondering if you could clarify the difference between a Dealer Order Reciept Acknowledgement (DORA) and a Vehicle Order Confirmation (VOC). Which should they give me? What is the format of a VOC?

Thanks in advance for any advice, info, and help.
    VOC is a sheet that shows what you ordered, what priority number the dealer assessed to your order and the order codes of what you ordered. It's usually a simple printout from the computer screen they used when ordering. It's proof that your dealer, did indeed, order your car.

The DORA is the sheet that shows exactly the car you ordered, with the terms of the deal, price and the options exactly as ordered. It's signed by both you and the dealership's management. This is something you want so when your order comes in, there is no confusion about pricing, options, etc. It's a form that is filled in by the dealer that they should give to you to show you are both in agreement with the car you ordered and the price you are paying.

You want both.
  • vppreachervppreacher Member Posts: 72
    graphicguy,
    first off, thanks a lot for the info and advice. I received a DORA, but I haven't received a VOC printout. I called my salesman and he's printing it for me for pickup tomorrow. He did call me shortly after ordering with what he termed as my "Order Number." It's a 7 digit alpha-numeric code. Is this the order code on the VOC paperwork? I'm just trying to make sure all my "t"s are crossed and "i"s are dotted. The last thing I want is to wait 8-12 weeks and get the wrong car or have something else go wrong.
  • chevy4lifechevy4life Member Posts: 20
    Mustangsally3 -

congrats on your GT. Do you mind telling me where you bought it? I'm thinking about gettting one, but am not crazy about paying sticker, much less anything more. I'm looking at one in particular in VA, but haven't talked to them about it yet. It's sticker is 27885(incl dest.). Any other tips I would appreciate too. Thanks - Mark
    vp.....you're welcome.

The order number isn't the priority number. You want the VOC to get the priority number the dealer assessed. The order number won't tell you this. Many dealers have been known to put a priority number on orders that have little to no chance of being built so they can put their "dealer stock" cars ahead of yours. They do this knowing they can get more $$$$ from someone walking off the street willing to make an "impulse" buy. You want a "10" priority number (or better).

For example, when I ordered mine in Feb, I actually got a "2" priority number. Dealers have very few of "2" priorities and are very unwilling to assess it since it usually is assessed to those who are considered high priorities due to customer care issues. But, since I've got a good dealer, they gave me the "2" highest priority (#1 priority is reserved for use only by the factory). Consequently, my car was delivered 7 weeks to the day after I ordered it. A 10 priority ensures that you will indeed get yours built IF the dealer has any allotment left for the Mustang (another thing you want to check on).

As you mentioned, the VOC also tells you that you are getting the exact car, the exact color and the exact options list you want. If the dealer puts your name on the VOC, it will actually show up on the MSRP sticker when shipped from the factory.....kind of cool since it shows that the car was made to your specific specifications.

It's good you got the DORA as you now know the exact price you'll be paying and the exact terms of the deal (aside from financing). Any price increases that go into effect while you're waiting will be price protected by Ford.
    chevy....unfortunately, since the Mustang has been so well received by both the media and customers, as you've noted, they're going for MSRP and above. I know one local dealer that goes to auctions and buys used ones that were used for press test drives and Ford exec vehicles. All of them have at least 1,000 miles on them. This dealer sells them all day long at MSRP for a used Mustang. They don't stay on the lot more than about a day (GT version).

Some of us (me included) ordered Mustangs this past winter when there was snow on the ground. I qualify for "X plan", which my dealer honored, and was able to buy one about $100 under invoice. I wouldn't even attempt that deal today with the popularity of the Mustang GT so high and the stock level so low on them (you can make great deals on V6s, though).

MSRP seems to be a good deal on the GTs right now.
  • hdxstanghdxstang Member Posts: 1
    I ordered a GT in middle of February. I went to a dealership in a town where there are higher then normal incomes. Total price with interior upgrades security and a few smaller features was 26,800.
    It has been 4 months the car was in build a week ago and was completed today.
    Invoice has been received and should arrive within 10 days to 20 days.
    Not a particularly large dealer but just in the right area that they can accomodate the orders.
    I have always found by getting a salesperson to commit to a at latest date on your signed invoice can be helpful when leveraging.

Good luck with all of your orders.
    I can't wait to motor this creature in a couple of weeks.
  • chevy4lifechevy4life Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for the info. I am wondering if anyone has bought one through Costco or any other auto buying service? I looked at one book and they show the mustang being about $1100 under sticker. But I suppose that's if they can actually get one built or located. I may wait until Aug or Sept and try that route with an '06.

mark
  • sonicblucrisissonicblucrisis Member Posts: 52
    WoW! All these years I laughed at all the crazy people paying MSRP or more for the latest model (insert name here). I would never walk into a dealer and agree to pay retail for a new car. NEVER!
    That was before this dad blamed 05 Mustang caught my eye. I've always had a soft spot for Mustangs, although I haven't owned one since a '78 Mustang II (V-6 Hatch, 4-spd). Funny, after that car, I swore off Fords for a while.
    I had a high school friend many many years ago who had a 65 and we had great times in that thing. The 05 brings back all the good memories, and more.
    So I have been waiting for about 5 weeks to get a confirmation from my dealer on an 05 GT convertible Sonic Blue , with all the trimmings. I put a call into his voice mail tonight after reading all the postings. Recently he told me that getting an '05 looked pretty good, but right now I feel like an idiot not having VOC. DORA, or for that matter, a CLUE!
    Man I hope that car is in my driveway this year, because the "Metallic Blue" color choice for '06 doesn't charge me like Sonic Blue does.

And yeah, I waited in line to agree to pay full MSRP for it. Call me crazy.... :shades:
    sonic....don't feel bad. Even at MSRP, you'd be hard pressed to find a car with the performance, the looks, the equipment level, the build quality of the Mustang GT. You'd have to pay thousands more just to get close. Figure MSRP of a loaded Mustang GT is ~$28K. Actually, you can get closer to $25K for a base GT (which is hardly a stripped version).

What else is out there that's close to the Mustang GT in the stylish, refined and powerful coupe market?

350Z & GTO....~$30K
    RX8....~$26K
    Audi TT.....$33K

What else?