Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• purplegtpurplegt Member Posts: 22
    Hey Graphic Guy...well, I'm being told delivery of my Torch Red 2006 GT is between Dec.3-10...! Yippee! Let's hope its true! Going tomorrow to get the trade value of my 96 stang...I've spent all afternoon researching thru NADA, Kelley and Edmunds for trade, sell and retail values. I really hope I get a good trade price so I don't have the hassle of selling myself, although I do have one guy I work with who's very interested. My only fear is selling it to him, knowing him, my luck having something go wrong with the car. It's been good to me anyway. At 46,000 miles I can't imagine what could go wrong, but it is 10 years old. I've seen several people within websites who've owned that year having intake manifold problems, since they are plastic, and them cracking, that seems to be the major issue with that year. Knock on wood, I've not had that issue. So that will be my big decision, trade or sell myself now. Of course I'd love to see it still parked in the parking lot where I work everyday!
    I'm getting excited knowing after a year, I'm finally going to see my new ride. Dang. I'll let ya know when it finally gets here! Of course, it's now December and the weather in WI is getting crummy...just hope there isn't 6 inches of snow on the ground the day I get to drive it home. Gonna have our local Ziebart guy do a good rust proofing package for me, I know him, and he'll do a good job for me. SO....wish me luck...
    Have you got your new ride yet? Last you wrote you had narrowed it down and had a bunch of dealers after you...I'm also going to check out the site you sent me on trade value - thanks for that!! Take care.... :D
  • jimmira76jimmira76 Member Posts: 19
    Hmmm... that's real interesting yannick. If I were you, I'd ask for the VOC on your order if you haven't done so already.
    I tried early on to get a manual transmission w/a pony package & everyone I talked to said it couldn't be done. I'd double check on that with your dealer if I were you...
    I totally have to agree with you on being able to hold a conversation w/the top down. At 80 mphs it does get a little harder. I can't say that there is much difference to me in wind noise with the top up though. Top down, to me though, is definitely the way to go!
  • rmackowskyrmackowsky Member Posts: 19
    Posted this on the problems board; figured I'd try here as well.

I've read several articles that say the V6 Pony Package includes upgraded stabilizer bars to improve handling to be more GT-like. However, I cannot find this info in any official Ford brochure or on the Ford website. In fact, the website's description of the Pony Package mentions nothing about the sway bars. Has this upgrade been confirmed by Ford? If so, where? I'm not sure I'd get the Pony Package unless I know with certainty that this stabilizer bar upgrade is true.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Purple....GREAT NEWS!

Go over to the Real World Trade-in Values thread and ask rroyce (Terry) what you're trade is worth. He's usually "spot on".

I'm not a fan of Ziebart, or any rust/finish protection. Mostly, manufacturers warn against extra rust/finish protection since they usually cause more problems than they solve. Plus, your Mustang uses galvanized steel which won't rust (unless damaged).

Good luck!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Hey rmack. I posted a response for you at the other thread but I'll put it here too. I just got my 06 V6 with pony package last week and it does have front & rear stabalizers. I also got to test drive one w/out the pony package & one with & you can tell the difference as to which has the GT suspension & which doesn't. The suspension, stabilizers, & bigger tires really do make a differnce & help make the car feel more "grounded"....
  • mcbuckstermcbuckster Member Posts: 32
    Can the front and rear stabilizers be seen easily? What should I look for (I want to verify they exist on a V6 Im looking at). Thanks.
  • yannickyannick Member Posts: 17
    I have heard that Ford wont build a Pony with a 5 speed but I went to ebay and saw some for sale.

I still havent heard anything from Ford (ordered one about 2 weeks ago) ...

Whats a VOC?

I am hoping that I can get the car I want.

WHY wouldnt Ford build a Pony Package with the 5 speed? WHY?? What would the logic be??
    Hey yannick...saw the ebay listing & don't know what to say. It's interesting to say the least. I don't know why I was told differently when I was trying to order a v6 pony package with manual transmission. I also tried that "build your own car" feature & on Ford's website & it wouldn't let me do it. I'm a little bummed if that isn't the case since I had to get an auto trans... On a brighter side, the car is still a fun ride even with an auto trans so although I would've preferred manual, auto is still ok & my wife feels more comfortable driving it than a manual.
    To answer your question about the VOC - it's a vehicle order confirmation sheet. Graphicguy has covered it before on this thread but basically it details, item by item, all the features & options (i.e. which tires, type of seats, type of stereo, etc.)of the car you ordered & it should list a priority code as well. The priority code is usually indicative how long it'll take to get your vehicle built & delivered. Priority 10 is pretty good. That's what I had & got my mustang in 6 weeks. Not every dealer will just offer up a copy of the VOC to so you should take the initiative & ask for a copy. It ensures that your car was ordered from Ford.
    I wish the dealerships would be more open. I'm going to ask for the VOC and priority code, but I bet they claim that they do not know what it is, or they'll ask me 'what I need it for', they are defensive about sharing info. I ordered mine about 6 weeks ago, hadnt heard 1 word from the dealer so I emailed a couple of days ago, I got a 1 sentence reply that 'they hope to hear something soon'. Itll be worth the wait, but it would be nice to know how things are going.
    Bad news I guess, I just got my VOC and my priority code on a V6 that I ordered about 5 weeks ago. My priority code is 80 which doesnt sound good. Who assigns these numbers, did my dealer assign an 80 to me? & Does this mean that Itll take 6 months to build my car? :mad:
    jimmira-

Thanks for the heads up. I will ask for the VOC tomorrow and see what the deal is - and I will definitely let you know what I hear.

I am so hoping I can get what I want.
  • straystray Member Posts: 11
    Is it possible to make changes to a car already ordered.
    I ordered a V6 Premium 4 weeks ago. After reading about and looking at many pictures of the '06 Mustangs I am thinking about making some changes to the vehicle I ordered.

I believe the dealer got the DORA already. Will a change in my order cause a long delay; or, is it early enough to change an order without causing problems?

Any advise is welcome.
    Nevermind. I drove thru a dealership with 20 mustangs in the lot. Saw one equiped alot like the one I ordered and have decided to stick with the original order. Looks as good up close as I originally thought it would.
    Wow an 80 priority code does not sound good at all. You might want to expect a few months delay in getting your stang. Dealers are the ones who assign priority codes usually based on how strong a sale it is or how anxious they are to make a sale. For some reason your dealer may not be taking you seriously or they may have other orders/sales that will yield them more profit.
    I got good news and bad nes about my Pony Package Mustang that I ordered. First the good news.

1) They are building it as a Pony Package with a 5 speed!

2) I have a VIN number.

3) They said it will be in production the week before Christmas and should be available for pick up the week after Christmas. That will be about 6-7 weeks from when I ordered it. Nice!

Now for the bad news.

I had them fax me my VOC and my Priority Code is 99!!!!!!

How could I have a priority of 99 and already have a VIN and a delivery date approx 4 weeks from now?

Something is amiss. Either I wont really get my car when they are saying or the priority codes are all wrong.
  • nogtyetnogtyet Member Posts: 11
    Curious if you're getting the info from the dealer or the Ford customer service people (800-392-FORD)or both. I've been contacting both the dealer and Detroit for 6-8 weeks about my order. The info I get from one is not always in sync w/ the other for whatever reason(s). I think the dealers have "better" realtime capability.
    In your case, your order probably started as a 99 but after a couple weeks got down to a 10. Only the geeks behind Ford's COS (Computer Order Selection) system can explain that. That's one monstrous, cumbersome, and unwieldy algorithm.
    Do you live in FL or other sunbelt state? That would expedite your order-to-build timeframe. Also depends on your dealer's Mustang sales history. I can't believe you'll get it a week after production though, especially around the holidays.
    nogtyet-

I am getting my info from the guy who sold it to me. I havent called Ford customer service- didnt know I could! Thanks. I may follow up with them.

The dealer I went has a combined 40 Pony Package Mustangs on his two lots - over a 100 Mustangs total. He had 6 Special Edition California Pony Packages on the lot that I went to, and they are only making 400 of them. He had #s 6,7 9, 11, 13 or something like that (they are all numbered on the dashboard). So I guess this dealer is loved by Ford. He is in San Leandro CA and Gilroy CA (suburbs of San Jose)

So yes, I live in a sunshine state. Why does that matter?

And they said I will get it *two* weeks after production - Is that possible?

I am still really excited. For some reason, seeing a VIN number made this whole process more "real".

Thanks for your input nogtyet
    By the way, the day I ordered my Pony they gave me my VOC without asking.

By the way, I highly recommend the Ford Store in Morgan Hill/Gilroy to all those who are in the market for a Ford in the Bay area. They sold me my Pony for $450 over invoice and were very nice about the whole thing. No pressure.

Actually, they told me what options NOT to buy, like the 1000 watt stereo (not worth the 1300 bucks is what the salesman told me). I wouldnt have got it anyway, but I appreciated the honesty.

The guy I bought it from (ordered it) was also fairly knowledgeble about the car, which isnt always a given.
    Yannick, Where did you get the VIN? I ordered my V6 about 5 weeks ago, and have the VOC, but I dont see the VIN on the VOC. Did your dealer give you the VIN?
    mcbuster-

Yup - the dealer gave me the VIN - without asking I might add...

I called today to ask how the build was going and he said "I have the VIN number and a build date and I will fax it all to you"

The VIN is not on my VOC.

(When he faxed my VIN, he also faxed me a new copy of my VOC because I misplaced it.)
  • nowgfstcatnowgfstcat Member Posts: 19
    I order my 06 Prem GT Coupe tonight. It should be built & delivered around the begining of March. The best thing, the dealer didn't give me any problems buying it EMPLOYEE price :) I got a priority # of 35 (only 3 orders ahead of me) so allocation isn't a problem. I didn't want the car until Mar/April (end of the snow here) so this is working out perfectly.

Now I just need to talk to my cousin and have her walk my car through production (she works at the plant) once I get a built date.

I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Got word that my car was built Wed. 12/7/05. I ordered the car 11/4/05.

Estimated arrival week of 1/5/06. The car is built and it will take approx. another month to get it, arghh!

V6 Premium w/Pony Package, 5 speed, Tungsten Gray

Still it sounds like I got pretty good service to have the car built in 32 days. If I am lucky maybe Santa will deliver it around Christmas :)

Is it too late to start being good?
  • blr1blr1 Member Posts: 6
    I got my 2006 GT Premium Coupe with upgraded interior, side air bags, 5 SP, premium wheels, and alarm at Southbay Ford in Los Angeles for $500 over invoice. Paid $24,900 + tax and Lic $29,950 out the door).
    My car is now being built and will be delivered in 3 weeks! so even with the priority of 80 I will have my mustang exactly 8 weeks from order date. Im not sure how the priority code works, Ive heard from others with a priority of 10-20 getting the car in about the same time 6-8 weeks.
    They told me that my car will be built the week before Christmas and be delivered the week after Christmas.

That sounds like it will be in my driveway before the New Year.

I ordered it November 19th. That would be 5 weeks. And I had a priority code of 99. We will see. I am not optimisitic.
    Unless they changed your priority code when the deal was consumated (that is, you've put down a $XXX deposit and signed a DORA or VOC with Ts & Cs attached), then I wouldln't hold out much hope.

That 99 priority code as to be changed to something more "pallatable" before that car gets built.
    My Mustang has been built, its finished! I was wondering what the average time for shipment to the west coast is, Im near Seattle. Thanks.
    Good news and bad news.

Bad news is that I called the dealer and my car will be delivered the week of January 18th. Thats almost exactly 8 weeks since I ordered it, which aint bad I guess.

The good news is that they told me my priority code moved from 99 to 10 the day I ordered it.

The question I have is if Ford really takes some sort of two week break at the end of the year - that was the reason they gave me for the descrepancy (told me previously the car would be delivered before the new year).

They also said it would probably be delivered earlier because they will go get teh car before it goes on the truck, which may shave a week off the delivery date. ANY feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
  • nowgfstcatnowgfstcat Member Posts: 19
    Yes all of the car plants close for the last 2 weeks of the month.
  • purplegtpurplegt Member Posts: 22
    Hey Graphicguy...if you're out there, I wanted to tell you as of last Friday, Dec. 16th, I'm finally the proud owner of my 2006 Premium Mustang GT! Funny, it was exactly 13 months to the date I ordered my 2005 that I got my 2006...you know the my story on that one. The dealer said had I not bugged the crap out of Ford I still most likely wouldn't have it. Of course the day it arrived, there was a nasty Wisconsin snow storm going on, waited till the next evening to get it and the roads still were not the best, but got her home! I must say, it handles much better on slick surfaces compared to my 96 mustang, the traction control made an amazing difference. I managed to get my 96 stuck in a vacant parking lot that hadn't been plowed of snow the week before and had to be pulled out by my hubbys SUV...oops. The torch red is such a bright red, under lights outdoors it almost looks orange. Is a beauty. Even tho I had the V8 in my 96, I can definitely feel the extra power under the hood in the 06. Can't wait to have some good dry roads that I can put the pedal down and have some fun with it. The higher raised hood takes a bit to get used to seeing over, more room for front seat passengers, but wow, only a little kid could fit in the back seat...but who cares....I love it! The My Color feature is fun, not a bad sounding 500 watt stereo. The exhaust still could be more meaty sounding, my 96 had special pipes put on, so it growled. Eventually I may put different pipes on this one, but so far am actually enjoying it being a bit quieter....LOL. Anyway, wanted to pop in and tell you it's finally here, Merry Christmas to me...yea!! I needed some cheer in my life, as I just lost my oldest brother to a horrible car accident just 3 weeks ago...a 72 VW bug vs an SUV, the other driver fell asleep at the wheel, hit my brother at 3am in the morning on his way to work, only 2/10 of a mile from his driveway...so it's been a rough go the past few weeks.
    Take care, hope you have a great 2006....! :shades:
  • sonicblucrisissonicblucrisis Member Posts: 52
    Congrats Purple, I guess you're going to have to change your log-on now! Enjoy the ride :shades:
  • shineshine Member Posts: 20
    This 2005 has been on dealers lot since Aug. Originally asking 1000 over sticker now down to 1000 under sticker what should I look for him to come down to.
  • artgartg Member Posts: 7
    shine:
    Five months on the dealers lot? I'd shoot for invoice or within a few hundred of invoice at the most. The 2006s have been out too long for them to dally.
  • jlaszlojlaszlo Member Posts: 60
    I think I found the last 2005 Mustang GT convertible in metro Atlanta. 5-speed, interior upgrade, wheels, leather boot, 150 miles on the odometer. Buying for $2000 below invoice (getting the $750 Katrina relief rebate).

In the process of looking for other 2005s I found another premium GT at Adamson Ford in Birmingham. They beat the deal I have here by $100 but that Mustang is over $2000 more expensive since it's an automatic and has the Shaker 1000. Both dealerships have been great but I've put my deposit on the one in Atlanta.

I've requested they replace the "premium wheels" with the stock 5-spokes. Picking it up Saturday.
  • lmmlmm Member Posts: 70
    As much as I would love the GT Im being offered a V6 Premium, Automatic, Pony Pkg, Security Alarm, Side air bags, Interior upgrade pkg, leather seat.

They are offering 21,500. Decent price?
    Imm, I paid $23k for my '06 V6 with basically the same options that you've mentioned, I ordered mine in late Oct. The price seems to be coming down, when I ordered mine, my dealer had 1 V6 and 1 GT on the lot, there are now about 10 on the lot, and they are probably more likely to deal.
    Thats a really good price - probably right at invoice. Heck, its a GREAT price - I am paying 21900 for mine 06 Pony leather with a 5 speed, no upgrade package, and no side airbags
  • rmackowskyrmackowsky Member Posts: 19
    Dude, that's about $1300 under invoice. Is this a car on the lot or are you ordering it? I have an offer of 22,858 for the same car factory ordered w/o the alarm w/o the alarm. (I also have an offer of $600 over invoice for any factory ordered GT).
    This was on the lot and I bought it.
  • jpiatchekjpiatchek Member Posts: 177
    Just saw a display ad today in our local Sunday paper advertising Four 2005 Mustand GT's for sale. MSRP of $29,170 and sale price at $26,999. There is a red, black, silver and a blue. Don't know if they are 5M or autos. They are offered by Campbell Ford Mercury in Ozark, Mo. I know the owner and they are reputable. Sounds like a good deal for some of you who are still waiting. Will try to check them out later today.
    Hi stray, did you get your mustang yet? Mine was built around the same time as yours, and am still waiting to hear something. Its taking as long to ship this car as it did to build it! Hopefully we'll hear something this week.
    Hi, mcbuskster
    No, I haven't got mine yet. Dealer got my hopes up by telling me the arrival date was pushed up to the week of 12/23. Now it looks like I'm back to 1/5/06. Keeping my fingers crossed. :)
  • kbtkbt Member Posts: 27
    Just wanted to let y'all know that I did give my husband his '03 triple-black GT convertible for Christmas.

And he's not keeping it. LOL!

Loves the car, loves that I did it, but he just feels too constrained in it. He's 6-4 and I don't know if the interior is really any smaller than his '85 or if he's just used to more headroom now, but we'll be ditching both his suburban and this in favor of something else.

I got a good deal on it, so I'm not worried about the turnaround. However, he's a little cranky that I won't let him drive it now, after the first couple days. If we're selling it I'm not adding miles and risking something happening to it. He had his fun playtime with it; now it's garaged. The kids are devastated. LOL!
    The window sticker say FRT FLOOR MATS MUSTANG LOGO as part of the pony package.

Does your floor mats have the running horse logo or does it just say Mustang?

Mine just says Mustang and I thought it should have the running horses.

Just wondering what others received.
  • moostangmoostang Member Posts: 12
    Can anyone give me advice on the best time to buy a convertible. I am really wanting an 06 GT premium convertible but do not know whether it would be best to wait until late spring or buy now. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. My gut tells me now would be the best time b/c of supply/demand but my pocket book says wait! Any other information which can be provided regarding the hard top vs. convertible is appreciate as well! Happy new year to all!
    purple....congrats.

Not to worry. Another 8-9 weeks and you'll be through with the white stuff for a while.

Have fun!
  • jlaszlojlaszlo Member Posts: 60
    If they're available and you can get a discount definitely buy now. More people in the convertible market in Spring. FYI, Adamson Ford in Birmingham, AL has a leftover red 2005 Premium GT that they'll heavily discount.
    The info I saw on brochure/website showed the mats with a small metal tag with the word "Mustang".