Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,315
    life any vehicle none are exactly the same.
    my '91 gt vert is low mileage, but only 1 problem since i bought it new.
    escept for gas, oil, air and oil filters, it all original.
    to be honest, i'm worried about anyone touching it.
    have some other cars that had no problems until i brought them in for service.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • manarakimanaraki Member Posts: 40
    What does this have to do with Prices Paid? You should be on the 2005+ Problems!
  • esperandrichesperandrich Member Posts: 5
    I AM IN CENTRAL CALIFORNIA. I CAN GET A GT AUTOMATIC FOR INVOICE. IS IT WORTH IT OR IS IT BETTER TO WAIT FOR A 2007 GT MANUAL AND PAY OVER INVOICE?
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    Can only say you need to test drive both, auto and manual, and make up your own mind. If you want your hand on that marvelous engine, then manual is mandatory.
  • travis209travis209 Member Posts: 3
    ... say things that are confusing. A guy today told me that Mustang has a new two-seater, but I am not finding it. Does it have a different name, or is he seeing things? (Like ads for Saturn Skys or Pontiac Solstices?

Thanks, Travis209
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Nope...no 2 seater for Mustangs. All production Mustangs, of any year, have always come with a back seat.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • allcarsrcoolallcarsrcool Member Posts: 113
    he may have even looked at an old issue of motor trend in which the ford mustang concept was released, which was a two seater. Then again, he may be seeing things
  • kferencekference Member Posts: 4
    Just purchased a 2006 V6 Premium with the Pony Package on Saturday the 27th of May. MSRP was 24880.00 paid 20,667 for the car. Think I did rather well for degotiating. Also shopped at different dealers for the best price.
    What do you all think?
    Bought My 06 Mustang at Jerrys Ford in Annandale, Virginia
    Great place to purchase, no pressure, great sales staff- and best you dont get attacked when you get out of your car when arriving.
    Shopped Sheehy- high pressure sales persons. What will it take for you to " buy the car today" . Hate that
  • sasukesasuke Member Posts: 77
    Has anyone leased a GT convertible lately? How much per month did they pay?
  • manarakimanaraki Member Posts: 40
    You got a preety good price. I got mine for 21,560.00. It was the same as yours. The MSRP was 24880.00. They also included my first oil change free and a free tank of gas which I found is 45.00 with gas prices now. In addition, the gave me full KBB trade in value on my Volvo.

Oh, by the way, what color ext/int was yours? I got Tungsten Gray Ext, Dark Chacoal Int.
    My Mustang is White Exterior/with the light gray cloth interior. Didnt get a great deal on my trade in . 8200.00 on a 99 Cadillac deville with 40k on it . Think I could of done better on that . Its done now .

Has anyone purchased the additonal undercoating? Does that limit the road noise. Guess im still not used to it. Cadillac to Mustang.
    oh well. i was just reponding to a previous post. my car doesn't fit 2005+ problems either. guess i just wanted to brag on it. :shades:
  • larryallen707larryallen707 Member Posts: 174
    Is late 80's Saleen not production? I think the convertible was a 2 seater, no?
  • larryallen707larryallen707 Member Posts: 174
    Judging from the posts here new GTs are not going for as cheap as I thought. I would have thought below invoice like most American cars. Not so? It appears convertibles are even closer to MSRP? Any rebates or deals right now?
  • gzgtpgzgtp Member Posts: 83
    I don't know of any incentives, but remember the GT is not like most American cars. ;)
  • esperandrichesperandrich Member Posts: 5
    IT TAKES SOME WORK BUT I JUST GOT A GT DELUXE 5 SPEED FOR INVOICE IN SO CAL.
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    I believe they offering 0% on the V6's and Fusion, this is it for Mustang.
  • zlskrszlskrs Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone tried to order an '07 yet, or know when dealers will start taking orders? And when will '07 deliveries start?
  • husker5husker5 Member Posts: 15
    i bought my new 06 GT convertable 5 sp manual for $300 over invoice ($2k under sticker).
    husker5
  • diana3111diana3111 Member Posts: 2
    I was talking to a sales manager and he said they have already ordered the 07s, (too late to order any 06) and they would be in- mid to late July. He wanted me to order one. I haven't decided which one I am going to get. I think I will get a better price with the 06, but I like some of the new options of the 07.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national personal finance magazine is looking to interview consumers who have recently purchased (within the past year) a new Ford Mustang and would like to talk about your new car. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, June 28, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • heenoheeno Member Posts: 7
    ???? for 2007 Mustang experts... Looking to buy a GT, haven't decided on the manual or auto... SoCal driving for the automatic

Any one know if there is a difference in the Sport Buckets vs. the regular buckets. Also, any ideas/thoughts on performance parts from Ford... Suspension Kit and Power Pack?
  • punkin5punkin5 Member Posts: 1
    I love this site!! I have always wanted a Mustang, and now have the funds to get one. Local dealer has the right color, GT Premium pkg, and is ready to move it. My question is, would it be worth waiting until the 07s hit the lot? Do you think the OTD price will be much different? By the way I get the Z-plan. Thanks.
  • zlskrszlskrs Member Posts: 9
    I was considering an 06 also but decided to wait for an 07 because of some of the new options. Ford is offering a cloth top on the 07 convertible and I think that is well worth the extra ~$250 or so. I have a Mazdaspeed Miata with a cloth top now and think it looks much better than vinyl. It should last longer than vinyl also.
  • jschmiidtjschmiidt Member Posts: 10
    I've been reading this forum for years now, but never posted. This one will be a bit wordy, but hey... I've held back for a long time!

After waiting so long for the frenzy to die down a bit, I figured it was time to make the purchase. With the '07's just coming in I went this past weekend in search of an '06 GT Premium Coupe, Dark Charcoal Leather, 5 Speed Manual Transmission, Interior Upgrade Package, Satin Aluminum Insert Panel and 18 inch Polished Aluminum Wheels. Pulled all the inventory at dealerships in the Tampa Bay area off of fordvehicles.com and searched all the other major markets in Florida as well. (How did we ever get by without the internet?) Originally thought I'd like Tungsten Grey since I thought Mineral Grey for '05's and before looked killer, and it was a mere name change. Well I was wrong, and to me it had a slight purpil/lavanderish tinge I just couldn't deal with. There was a Redfire at this one local dealership (Bill Currie) meeting all my requirements except for 18 inch Premium fan blades. They were willing to put on the 18 inch Polished, sell me the car at invoice and give me $1,000 for my trade-in '96 Contour GL Manual, which only had a KBB value of $500. Awesome right? Well I decided to take a breather, told the guy I wanted to think it over, talk to my wife, and look around. I knew of some others available at nearby dealerships: Torch Reds, Performance Whites, Blacks, Tungstens and Satin Silvers, but none of them really 100% appealed to me. The only other possibility was a Vista Blue at Greenway Ford in Orlando, and I really wasn't sure I wanted to make the trip or pay extra for it to be delivered. Even though I already knew the local inventory, I decided to take a ride to Brandon Ford (one of the biggest in America) just in case there was something I missed, or something else I could settle on. Key word here is "settle". With little to choose from that met my requirements, and my dream of a bad [non-permissible content removed] Tungsten (which I thought was like Mineral) Grey down the tubes, I'd end up having to settle on something. I walked the lots at Brandon Ford and saw the same inventory I pulled; nothing that really grabbed me as being my dream car. I figured I'd go back to Bill Currie and settle on the Redfire.

Now, during my inventory search I pulled the sticker for a GT Premium Coupe at Brandon Ford that really did meet all of my requirements; except for the year that is. They had a 2007 GT Premium Coupe in Alloy Clearcoat Metallic (New color for '07) equiped exactly how I wanted; and with no cheezy GT Appearance Package or stripes. Absolutely beautiful and bad to the bone! Figured there's no way they would let this thing go for anything lower than sticker; especially since a brand new color and my research showed me this was the only one of its kind in the Tampa Bay area. I asked the salesman to check with his manager to see what it would go for; for a goof.

Well he came back with... " If I offer it to you at invoice, would you purchase it today?"

And that's just what I did! And my figures match what's on Edmunds...Base 2007 GT Premium Coupe $24,390, IUP $400, 18 inch Polished Aluminums $718, Destination and Delivery $745. There are, however, 2 additional items on the invoice (same at Bill Currie on the '06 invoice but I think for slightly different amounts); FDAF/LMDA Assessment (which I understand is something along the lines of a Southern Ford Marketing kickback) $420 and a $5.58 charge for the 2 gallons of gas that Flat Rock put in it. Grand total invoice $26,678.58. And they gave me the same $1,000 for my Contour. Now I know they made their money with dealer prep fees of $495 (not to mention Holdback), but they (and other dealers) were charging that on '06's. I could be wrong, but I feel I got a good deal. The one thing I do know is that I didn't "settle" on an '06. This '07 is my dream car.

Let me know what you think.
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Glad to hear things worked out so well for you. Florida dealer prep or doc fees seem to be tacked onto just about all makes there.

Here in Ohio, Ford stores have been advertising $3000 or more off MSRP on '06 GTs this month so it would appear they are giving up some (or all) of their holdback. I'm just starting to shop seriously and it will be interesting to see how price quotes for '07s compare with those for '06s. I don't have a particular preference between the two years and the price differential will likely decide the issue - although at this point I'm not sure how much more I'm willing to pay for an '07.
    Thanks CC ! Again... sorry for the long winded story, but this is just an exciting car to drive. Still grinning ear to ear every time I get in.

For me going with the '07 just made sense. I plan on keeping this car for a long time. Like I mentioned, I had a '97 Contour for 9 years. Also, it was equiped exactly how I wanted in a brand new color for '07...Alloy Metallic.. which is smokin'.

Not sure how you want yours equiped. Here in Tampa Bay, there are still many leftovers; lots of '06 GT Deluxes with cloth interior and no IUP.

Good luck in your buying experience! Let me know how you make out. Regardless... you'll love the car. Just be sure to get a 5 speed. It's the only way to truly experience this automobile.
    CC....Here's a photo of an '07 Alloy Grey which looks just like mine with the same wheels. I think you'll like the color.

As it turns out, Ford is (at least in this region) supposedly offering a $1000 manufacturer to dealer incentive on '06 GT automatics - hence the larger discounts in this market.

Unfortunately, I would prefer a stick so that significantly narrows the price gap between an '06 and an '07. Given that the '07 offers some features I'd like to have such as heated seats, I may just wait awhile until the lots fill with '07s.

Yup, yours is certainly sharp - those 18" polished wheels are stunning.
    the 'ford store' where we got the escape serviced has a 'gt' in 'grabber orange' on a pedestal out front. imo, it really needs some black stripes to tone it down. it looks like something a kid would color with a crayola.
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    a sucker is born every minute, viz, 18" wheels. :shades:
  • bama12bama12 Member Posts: 17
    Premium Package
    Torch Red w/Charcoal Lthr Int
    Shaker 500 Sound System
    5-Speed Manual Trans
    Side Airbags
    Security System
    18" Bullet Wheels
    Interior Upgrade Package
    MSRP $29050
    Invoice $26975
    Paid $27245 + TT&L

Not too shabby says I...
    amazingly, i saw one(grabber orange) the next day on the road. could be the same one, although it was about 20 miles away.
    bama12,

Congratulations! As a recent buyer myself (see recent posts), I know how excited you feel. Here in the Tampa Bay area you could have gotten for maybe $500 below invoice for an '06 leftover, but it all depends on the local market. Seems to me you did good!

At any rate, don't even stop to think you could have maybe gotten a better deal. You're happy right? Don't you just love going through those gears?

She is a beauty! I've got the same wheels and get compliments on them all the time. Just be careful... especially with that color. They always say the cops love to get the red ones, and it's hard not to let these ponies gallop every once in a while.

Keep us posted on the other forum as to how this baby works out for you and if you plan on making any modifications. The only thing I'm planning to do is add Flowmasters this coming weekend, and maybe a cold air induction at some point down the road.

Good luck!
  • bama12bama12 Member Posts: 17
    jschmiidt- Thanks for the kind words. Yours is awesome as well. It's really hard to go wrong with a color for this car. And I do love the wheels. It's been a blast so far. I plan to add cold air induction, and I'd like to lower it a little as well. Let the mods begin!
  • peterj6peterj6 Member Posts: 4
    I guess that explains why my wife fell in love with the one at our local dealer. She teaches 3-4 year old special needs kids. You really think the tape stripe would tone it down? I'm drawing the line on the hood scoop though. Wish I could talk her into the alloy gray, that is slick.
  • rsmith5rsmith5 Member Posts: 9
    My daughter bought a new, end of year, 06 GT Premium today at Champion Ford in Katy, TX (about 20 miles west of Houston) with automatic ($995), polished alloy wheels ($195) and interior upgrade package ($460), black/black which comes standard with black leather sport buckets seats with power driver's seat and the Shaker 500 stereo with CD and MP3 connection. It had 32 test drive miles on it and a May 2006 build date. The MSRP with destination charge was $28,690. It was advertised in today's Houston Chronicle at $6,500 off MSRP -- including $1500 rebate. Believe it or not, the dealer had it and sold it for that price, $22,190 plus tax, title and license. He had it washed and filled it with a full tank of gas at no additional cost. It had the VIN number etched on the windows, but she declined the offer for some kind of coverage when in finance, so no additional charge. She bought no additional services or packages whatsoever. She did not have a trade-in. She paid by check in full, so nothing more for financing. It was a little over 72 miles from our house to this dealer. This also means that the local Conroe Ford dealer (who wasn't willing to seriously negotiate on a V6 Deluxe she was considering) will get to do the servicing unless something really scary happens that would justify going that far. The sales person was very nice too. A truly no hassle transaction. This was a pleasant experience. She is very happy.
    Your daughter got a truly fantastic deal. Supposedly, there is another $1000 manufacturer to dealer incentive on automatics. Still, even adding that to the $1500 rebate, she got all of the holdback and then some. Did they have a bunch of '06s still around? Or, maybe, black/black is not real popular around your area?
    Yes, I think she got as good a deal as any available in the Houston area at this time with this equipment. The dealer's ad said, 'all 2006 GT automatics in-stock' were priced at $6500 off MSRP. I have found that FORD's link to the dealer's inventory is more accurate than the dealer's own website inventory listing. Go to www.ford.com, click on the FORD label, then click on 'check dealer inventory', then click on the MUSTANG logo, then enter the zipcode of the DEALER, in this case, 77450. You can see the MSRP, color, and some of the options (but not all). This path still shows 2 Redfire metallics, 1 Torch Red, 2 Tungsten grey, 1 more black, 2 Windveil blues that have automatic (besides the black one that my daughter bought which has not been removed from the inventory listing yet). However, I don't know how many of the ones shown were also sold over this past weekend. The black/black was what my daughter wanted and it was the least expensive of the ones in stock. (All in-stock GTs were Premiums.)
    Yes, I looked at the inventory after I wrote my last post. After reading your last one, I emailed Champion Ford Katy asking about the reported offer and saying it would be worth my time to come down from Ohio and buy one at that price. The reply I received was:

"We're not doing $6500 off Mustangs. Sorry I can't be of more help." And that was the entire message back to me!

Interesting language - they don't deny that they did it, just that they are not, as of now, honoring it.

Nevertheless, glad to hear it worked out for at least one person.
    Thanks. I was thinking of going down this Thursday but evidently it's not to be. Interestingly, Ford reportedly will be offering 0% financing ("Tent Event") from 8/10 through 14 on all models. Haven't confirmed this or further details yet.
  • rkelonrkelon Member Posts: 17
    I purchased an 06 GT from Waldorf Ford in MD, we had previously purchased an 04 Ram back in 04 from their Dodge store and we received an $ll.5K discount and we thought they were leading us in for the kill at the Ford store. This was not the case, they did not have the car we wanted so they went 120 miles to pickup the car we wanted, and only charged us invoice, plus we received the $1500 rebate. The people again were very polite and the finance guy discounted the rate 1% (already low) when I purchased the maintenance package. Plus they are getting my wife a fancy key chain for her new Mustang. I am impressed...again, it is hard to find consistent dealerships and I hope they continue to remember their customers.
    Glad to hear that you were also treated fairly and had a good experience at your local dealership. I think you did good. Why are we so shocked when this happens?
  • rkelonrkelon Member Posts: 17
    It is because I am constantly be bombarded with hidden transaction deception techniques. For example, attempts to add in freight twice, processing charges, dealer markup, undeserved interest rates...etc. Most car dealers have numerous scams to separate a customer from their money. This is part of the negative taste that is left in the consumer's mouth. Until recently (last 5-10 years), not only did the consumer not get a good deal, but the product was also not competitive. The U.S. auto makers need to focus on making every car in their line-up a hit, steal from the playbook of Toyota and Honda. If I purchased a foreign make I can at least blame it on them trying to ripoff the American consumer, but when I get ripped-off by my own people...it kind of hurts an I loose my loyalty. The dealers need to attempt to assist us, don't hard sell things we really don't need, i.e. extended warrenties...if the car is crap fix it. Don't up-sell someone in to something they can't afford. However, do sell maintenance plans (reasonably priced) and maybe discounted insurance for purchasers of your cars. Out source some internal stuff to AAA. Develop a policy of protecting your customers, but don't trash the other guy...it looks petty.
    Oh, THAT'S why we are shocked when someone has a good experience. We are shocked because it is so RARE.
    FYI, Champion Ford (Katy, TX) has their same, exact classified ad in the Houston Chronicle again this weekend, "all 2006 automatic GTs in stock, $6500 off the MSRP". However, I would be suspicious since the only stock number listed is the SAME one that my daughter bought LAST Saturday. Good luck.
    Thanks, although I do regard it with some suspicion I just called your guy. He was vague about the whole thing but did confirm your daughter's transaction. He'll "have to see" if discount applies to other units and is "not sure" how long it lasts. We'll see if he calls back with the details requested.

More generally, I've been appalled at the internet practices of Ford stores with which I've contacted in the past couple of weeks here. My previous experience with other makes in this regard has been VERY positive and resulted in a number of purchases since 2000. For some reason, though, the Ford stores (with just a couple of exceptions) have been horrible, refusing even supply a requested price quote.

At least here in Central Ohio the market for these cars has virtually collapsed with very few units selling since new incentives were announced at the beginning of the month.
    Well, their AD in today's paper says "now through Monday at Champion Ford Katy" at the top of the page. Let us know how they follow up. My guy DID follow-up with several returned phone calls before we ever drove to the dealership. Good luck.
  • praizadapraizada Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am looking to Buy a Mustang V6 Premium coupe in the New Jersey area. I am OK with a 2006 model. The options that I think I absolutely need are

1) Automatic transmission
    2) Antilock brakes and traction control
    3) Exterior color: Black
    4) Leather seats

I have a budget of around 20,000. Cant really go above it. Is this a good enough budget for getting the above options.

Thanks in advance.