Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• vistabluestangvistabluestang Member Posts: 14
    Just ordered my Mustang this weekend. Paid $67 over invoice. $33,065.00 paid. MSRP was $36170. Invoice was $32998.00

I was pairing two dealerships off eachother and got the same price from both. But Wickstrom Ford in Barrington, IL definitely treated me with class.

The other dealership was used car salesmen like. "What is it going take to get you in this car today"

2007 Mustang GT Premium Convertible. Comfort group, Interior upgrade, Trim package, 18" polished wheels, cloth convertible top, 3.55 limited slip diff., Wheel lock kit, Anti-theft alarm, Convert. soft boot, and Air bags.

They told me it would be here in 4 to 8 weeks. Going to feel like a long time.
  • grumblesdclowngrumblesdclown Member Posts: 20
    Wow, that sounds like a good price. If you'll indulge me, can I ask: Does it include or exclude tax, title, and license? Also, did you finance there? Buy an extended warranty? And, from Mark's posts, what order priority did they give you? Sorry for the interrogation - I'm just looking for a win/win price point.
    That excludes tax, title, and license. Out the door price was $34,437.00 (includes $1000 rebate) I did not finance, I have been saving for this car since I sold my last one 10 years ago. No extended warranty.

In regards to ordering it, the dealership told me becuase they are a Blue Oval Certified and Presidents Award (Top 2% of all ford dealerships for customer service) winner, that they are allocated more cars then most dealers. So I should get my car in 4-8 weeks. I have no proof that this is true but so far they have been a great dealership to deal with.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    IMHO, this is by far the best color available right now. My 07 v6 is Vista Blue and I get lots of compliments.

I ordered stick and it took 2 months to come in :(. Check back with your salesperson Friday, to see if a build date was scheduled.

Mark.
  • xlayedoutxxlayedoutx Member Posts: 4
    Well I just got home for a long trip to my local dealership. The first lot I went to had an Alloy V6 Prem fully loaded. They wanted $32,000 for it and wouldn't budge. $25,000 MSRP with a $7,000 dealer markup. I took off and drove about 20 mins to another lot and and they had a Vista Blue with Auto tranny, V6 pony package, Leather seats, and Interior Upgrade Package for $24,000 MSRP. I walked out with the car at $21,827. :)
    I have Pony Pkg, IUP with the Carbon panel, stick, Sirius and ABS/Traction Control.

Leather isn't my thing as I don't like sliding around. But i don't think you could slide much anyway with the way the seats are shaped.

V6 or not, I love the sound!

Mark.
  • 45john45john Member Posts: 1
    I think ford should take the sticker off the window on the cobra, That really pissed me off with the mark up of 20,000. Anyway I ended up buying a 07 GT had the dealership paint shelby strips on it, borla EX, roush short throw shifter, roush S/C , Eibach pro lowering springs, and 18in wheels, and clear coat the hole car. 38,700 ready to go. When I was ordering the extra's for the GT they come down on the price of the cobra to 56,000 I told them know way. They could hold more value down the road but it could be a sucker bet. Anyway Im happy with the car it runs pretty good. JM
    But only to "good customers" "friends of the dealership" and they are all sold :(

Mark.
  • cincycarmancincycarman Member Posts: 5
    I just got an 07 GT/CS It is the blue. I haven't driven it much but it sure is nice. I was getting discuraged as I was looking at buying a used 06 but the ones I drove were actually disappointing me with the transmission, I thought they were a little rough and was thinking they already had a hard life. Then I went to the last dealer of the day. I took a look at the california special he had there and the tranny was sily smooth.
    Sticker 31,150 Buy price including 1,000 rebate 27,515.46

I am a happy boy..:)
  • jlaszlojlaszlo Member Posts: 60
    Just bought back my 2005 GT Premium Convertible manual that I traded in July. They were about to take it to auction. They put 1,000 miles on it and I got it for $2500 less than I traded it in for. Details...paid $24,500 and it has 5,000 miles and the 3M clear front-end mask.
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    Check out ebay or the classifieds: Whole lot of Mustang GT's selling for dirt cheap. Don't let a dealer whip you. New car should be selling for at least $1000 below MSRP.

And don't get suckered by dealer add-ons, like after-market wheels. They're only meant to put bucks in the dealer's pockets.

Perspective: Ford is millions of dollars in debt and laying off tens of thousands workers. Dealerships are closing. They need, real bad, to sell cars.
  • singhde1singhde1 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a V6 premium Redfire with Auto, Pony package, Leather, Abs/Traction Control, Interior upgrade for 21900 in NJ.
    If you are in NJ and planning to buy, stay away from Malouf, they tried to slip in a manual, while we had negotiated for an auto. Scumbags, never gonna buy from them again. If I wasnt carefull, I would have been stuck with a stick shift at a much higher price.
  • cappy53cappy53 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking into a 2007 GT at Malouf. I found it online and when I went there they said it was actually not yet on lot, had been shipped. The salesman said he would call me as soon as it arrived. I had a bad experience with Malouf a few years ago so I am a little reluctant to but there. I found a vista blue GT at Capital City Ford. The dealer is closing and they offered it at dealer invoice. I wanted the side air-bags which it didn't have which is why I went to Malouf. I also saw a Black GT in langhorne which had something called "GT Upfitters Package" ($2,140). It appears to be a pre-Shelby package. Don't know much about it and am going to try and see it soon.
  • smeadows1978smeadows1978 Member Posts: 10
    cappy 53, did you say that Capital City is closing?! That's where I take my 05 V6 Premium for service (although I have never been impressed with them).
  • gzgtpgzgtp Member Posts: 83
    Why would it be more for a stick? When I bought my '06 GT is was more for an automatic. Fortunately for me, a stick is my preference.
  • singhde1singhde1 Member Posts: 2
    What I meant to say that, the price we agreed upon was for an Auto and they tried to slip in the stick shift, so at that price, I would have paid extra for the stick shift..
  • cappy53cappy53 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I was there last weekend (2/17) and they said the dealership is closing. I was told service would be performed at the Lincoln-Mercury dealer that is nearby on route 1 north
  • davem5davem5 Member Posts: 8
    I plan to order a GT Premium convertible in mid-April through the X-plan (unless I hear enough evidence showing me negotiating will yield a lower price....). I've also noticed the GTs starting to stack up at the dealership - anyone have an idea on increased rebates in the near future?

Thanks.
    I had the option of xplan and it ended up being about $400 over invoice. I negotiated to $300 below xplan by pairing two dealerships off each other.

One other word of advise is to check the Better Business Bureau to see which dealer is toeing the mark. Good luck and have fun.
    Tell the dealer that you want to split his X-plan comission with him. Just don't come to my dealer to do it :P

Mark.
    Back from traveling and refocused on the 'stang. Can't find what I want in stock. Best quote so far for an ordered car: invoice plus TTL, minus any incentives that are offered at delivery. What do you think?
  • jdt141jdt141 Member Posts: 8
    so what's the prevailing knowledge on ordering a gt w/stick in terms of pricing? are they going for around invoice or not a penny under msrp?

what are the thoughts on the latest deal too - free auto tranny + 1000 cash back?
  • zippo300zzippo300z Member Posts: 1
    I plan on buying a mustang gt also. Just waiting for stonger incentives (they suck right now). I'm also a car salesman (at a ford dealership). Making dealerships compete eachother for a sale is totally unecessary. A salesman gets paid commission not hourly. Here's how you're gonna save yourself time and money not to mention the salesmans time. Find out which dealership has the exact one you're looking for(it won't work if they have to dealer trade). X-plan is usually a couple of hundred dollars over invoice. Every vehicle has what's called "holdback". On a mustang gt, it's normally around 500-1000 dollars.Here's what you're going to do.
    Assure the salesman that he's gonna get the sale( don't treat the salesman like crap, we work hard just like everybody else). When you work numbers inside, let him present the numbers first. Ask "politely" to pull the invoice sheet and find out how much the hold back is. FOR EXAMPLE...if MSRP is $30,000, ivoice might be $28,000. If the holdback is $850, take $500 of it (don't be greedy) and subtract it from the invoice. Now you're buying the car at $27,500 plus whatever rebate or bonus cash is being offered at the time ( a $1000 for a GT coupe = $26,500 +TTL). When a salesman sells at X-plan or below invoice, he's going to get a "mini"( $100 for selling a $30,000 car :( ). Get a full tank of gas and a detail. When your salesman delivers the vehicle....you slip him $100. It's the least you can do for him because the salesman is going to get it from the manager. Everybody wins (except the dealership), you get the exact car you want at a stupid low price and the salesman gets an extra $100 from you. As far as "back ends" and interest rates...you're on your own. Just make sure your credit score is high enough to purchase a vehicle and it's not all for nothing. I wouldn't purchase this month because the incentives suck. I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU ALL OUT. :)
    Rumor has it that incentives on Mustang are coming as sales are off since the start of 2007.

Also, not all dealers sell below invoice, and once a sales man finds out he has the car you want, why should he sell it below invoice.

With inventories as low as they are. Dealers can be pretty sure they are going to sell every Mustang they have so there is not the same kind of incentive to take a short deal as there was 2 years ago before the "Family Plan" with employee pricing.

Also not all dealers have the same pay plan as Zippos. I get salary plus commission and no "minis".

Mark
    We searched five states on Ford's website (which, btw, is a pita) and couldn't find a reasonable in-stock match to what we wanted. We weeded-out a lot of dealerships through email & phone, and talked to several that we liked. Even if they have better resources than the Ford website, they still couldn't find an in-stock close match. Most prices on an ordered car ranged from invoice to inv+$500; rebates would apply if available when delivered. Of course, a lot of the weeded-out dealers said things such as, "we're very competitive, when you come in, we'll prove it" and "usually close to sticker, but come-on down, we'll talk!"

In the end, we ordered exactly what we wanted for invoice plus TTL and minus any rebates/incentives available when delivered. TTL matches DMV charges - no upcharges or extra fees. Around here, you have to watch for that.
  • capecodder2capecodder2 Member Posts: 3
    I have test driven two 2007 GT manual convertibles. One at Wareham Ford and one at Bonnell Ford. The first one shifted smoothly but the front end vibrated. The second one shifted really rough like driving a different model. So, I'm a little discouraged...also don't want to buy ahead of additional incentives. Your final price of $27,515 seems very good...that is for the ragtop, right?
  • blackandblueblackandblue Member Posts: 66
    What better incentives are you waiting for? The GT has $1,000 cash back plus free automatic transmission. There might be 0% financing but probably just on the v6 not the GT. Last spring they didn't have anything on the GT's. Do you know something that we don't. I'm thinking about making an offer on a GT/CS and I appreciate your advice.
    Ford has hinted to the press that new incentives are on the way to help move Mustangs. New programs start 4/3/07.

Mark
    better deals? really?

1000 retail customer cash
    645 auto trans
    995 bonus customer cash.

2640 off?? total?? can it get much better???? if you want a car today, seems like its the thing to do...

now after browsing the vehicles out there, they don't have one even close to what i want.... so i'll have to order and be left with whatever they're offering when the car comes in....I see some posts on a dealer allocation?? what is that?
    Dealers can throw as many cars as they want into the order bank but the factory will only schedule a car for production if the ordering dealer has a unit of allocation.

Just make sure your dealer uses a priority of 10.

Make sure you discuss any options that are under commodities restriction. Usually the 18" wheels are in limited availability. This way you can have a more realistic idea of when your car might come in.

My Mustang V6 took about 8 weeks to get because I ordered manual trans.

Mark
  • cat2kcat2k Member Posts: 1
    Has anybody received all three rebates? I was told at the dealer today that you could take the $1000+$645 or the $1000+$995 but not all three rebates.

Very interested to know, since I am having a Mustang GT Auto being delivered next week from another dealer. Still think I am getting a good price with $1995 cash back and X-plan pricing.
    I think the $995 is for the older Vin's, pre 9/06. That's when the auto was stickered at $995. The new ones are stickered at $645. Basicly I think you just get the auto for free what ever it was stickered for plus $1,000.
  • foghorn2foghorn2 Member Posts: 8
    Do you think the Gt's are going to be included? If not 0%, maybe lower than the current incentive?

Did they not have a 0% last April on most cars?
  • cptchetcocptchetco Member Posts: 32
    I know this is not what you are asking, but it is relevant.
    1968 bought 1966 '66 6cyl convert for $3600 w/11k miles. sold in 1971 for $3500.
    1972 bought new Convert (Q code) for $4,000: still have it; appraised $34,000.
    1989 Convert 5L 5spd bought 1990 $9,000 (21k miles)sold 1996 (125k miles)for $7,000 to a friend who still has it.

1983 Convert 6cyl Pd $1,000 March '06 (133k Miles)sold Aug 06 for $3250 (141k miles).
    Mustang Converts have great resale value and are damn fun to own and drive, particularily the performance models.
  • vincap28vincap28 Member Posts: 4
    Hey,

I am looking into purchasing 2007 Mustang GT. I had a chance to rent one for two days while on a business trip. It was an automatic and I was disappointed with the hesitation when I stepped on the gas. I thought it was very noticeable. I have since learned that it is because of the "electronic" throttle. I test drove a stick a few weeks ago and don't recall this hesitation. Does the stick not have electronic throttle? Please send me your experiences or thoughts on this issue.

Thanks
    cappy53
  • smeadows1978smeadows1978 Member Posts: 10
    Hi cappy53,

Just last week I had the fuel pump replaced in my 05 V6 because of the throttle lag issue. Apparently there is a technical service bulletin specifically for this issue. I also found a thread on this Mustang forum about a way to "reset" the electronic throttle (you have to put the key in a certain position, depress the throttle very slowly, then drive the wheels off the car to reset). I did not notice a difference after the reset but since the pump was replaced its been like a different car and in a GOOD way. I have not driven the GT or a manual so I can't say for sure if they have the same hesitation. If I ever upgrade, I will definitely get the manual just because it seems like more fun to drive!
    They might be but I couldn't wait. I made the dealer an offer on a GT/CS I've been eye balling for a while and he took it. Basically $1,000 under invoice with the free auto ($995) plus $1,000 rebate. They might have better incentives next month but I think it's the end of the 1st quarter and sales are down and they need to sell cars. I am very happy with my deal, and get the car on Wed.
    I can wait indefinitly, my current car is just fine and I'm waiting for a real incentive. There are many cars here at the dealers waiting for my money.
  • capecodder2capecodder2 Member Posts: 3
    Purchased the V6 Convertible with Pony package, performance package, comfort group, cloth top & boot, and 5-speed. Sticker was $30,190. Final deal was $26,000. Test drove two GTs but settled on the V6 which got 29 miles to the gallon on the highway trip home. Dealer was Metro Ford on Rte 44 in Massachusetts. Enjoyed the buying experience...they let you take the car out alone (no salesman). They didn't track you to sell you additional warranties, Lojack, etc. Having owned convertibles in the past, I am impressed with how little wind noise the mustang produces. Shaker 500 audio is good enough for me. I highly recommend buying the car with the cloth top! Metro was the first dealership (out of six) where I saw any 2007 with a cloth top...dramatic improvement to the look of the car!!
  • vincenzo1vincenzo1 Member Posts: 2
    I am a little late on my post but in Oct 06 I purchased a T-grey 2006 mustang gt premium with-auto,shaker 500,IUP,side airbags for $29,664 at 0% for 72 months. payments are 412/mo.

Curious what some of you think ???
    Thanks
    With 0%, thats a great deal, then again just about any deal with 0% is a good deal!
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    It sounds like you paid close to sticker which was too much given what the market was then for automatics. I bought the same thing in convertible form (approximately $5000 more - sticker was $35,030) and my payments are $439.25 to Ford Credit.

But why worry about it - what's done is done. Enjoy!
  • kulikuli Member Posts: 4
    Anyone heard of what the new incentives will be starting this week--Michigan? There is a 2007 V6 Pony coupe with my name on it! :)
    I want to know too. There is a Gt at the 3 dealerships with my name on them. Only one of them gets to go home with me if the incentives are better. The other two will go to my friends.
    as of right now, i haven't heard anything... i anxiously await the announcement :confuse:
    Some of the mustang forums are saying that its more of the same incentives, but they can be puppets saying that so current sales won't hurt.

If its more of the same, its better just to wait for the order banks to open for '08 models. They will ambient lighting and the "grabber blue" color!

With the current incentives, buying a '07 is instant depreciation when you sign. The only way I'll buy a Mustang now is either tomorrow if they have better incentives/apr to make up for the depreciation, or wait and order a '08 just the way I want it.
  • kulikuli Member Posts: 4
    I agree 100%
    I really do not know whats holding them up. Ford needs sales, we need cars. I want Ford and I to win. Why do so many americans buy foreign cars and get low interest and better deals?
    they're probably doing a couple of things at corporate... racking up the sales over the last month and then making the best determination for each vehicle what the incentives for the next month are... when you think about it, that's a lot of data to round up... vehicles on the lot, vehicles/parts on the line or in their j.i.t. system.... there's a lot that goes into it. at the end of the day, they've got to do this for each and every ford, lincoln, and mercury vehicle they sell. typically they announce the incentives early in the month. we should see them this week i hope
    Well we know the sales for Ford in general may be in down in double digits, we know Mustang sales are way down this year compared to last and the same 4.6 Mustangs in all the dealers here are still there, months after months.