Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac GTO Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• tripowergtotripowergto Member Posts: 83
    Pulse Red is a dark blood red, almost maroon but not quite. The last 600 04 GTO's produced were all limited edition Pulse red cars($295 option) with silver face gauges, silver stitching in the leather and the embroidered GTO in the seats is red instead of black or white.

My build date is 8/04 and my dealer received it Oct 1. So it's only a few months old and hardly a "year old model" as a typical 04 would usually be. It only had 15 miles on it and so far I really like it but I did have to drive home in heavy rain at night so I couldn't really open it up yet.

These cars are very misunderstood but AWESOME quality overall. I figure I got a Corvette drivetrain at a Cavalier price that comfortably seats 4. The interior and seats are incredibly nice!! GOOD LUCK on your Quicksilver M6!!
  • lwvlwv Member Posts: 46
    Here is the deal I got last week.

I was fortunate to have received the GM roundup bonus of $6k so my deal was invoice less $5500 rebate less $1500 certificates less $6k so selling price of $18450 plus tax. Decided to do Smart Buy since residual for 45k/3year was $17772. Just too good to pass up. Thanks GM card.

The car is great. I had always thought about one but had never driven one. Excellent build quality. The interior is one of the best I have seen from GM. The exterior grows on you after a short time. Pontiac needs to get people to drive these and they will want to buy. I thought the GTO commercial on the Orange bowl game last night was a good start.

Mine is silver with black auto. Build date of 02/04. Does anyone know if there are any issues that I should look out for on that early build date?

BTW, I heard that GM is putting a sport appearance package on the remaining 04 GTOs for free to help move them I guess. Consists of sport hood, grille inserts and different rear spoiler. Part numbers 92181117, 12499616 and 12499666. $700 value.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    It's great to see so many of you enthusiastic GTO buyers. Sounds like there are some great deals to be had, especially on the '04s. Congratulations, everyone.

Don't forget to swing over to the regular Pontiac GTO discussion and share your ownership experiences!

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Host, Smart Shopper & Future Vehicles discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

The recent posts concerning problems with the GTO have been moved to our regular Pontiac GTO discussion. Just click on my link to continue there.

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Host, Smart Shopper & Future Vehicles discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• hemi335hemi335 Member Posts: 3
    I am in Nebraska. It was a special postcard about the 10th-15th of December. Usually get one or 2 in November then one or 2 every December. Nothing before was ever this good of a deal though. Make sure you open all the post card offers, they add things to them as the end of year approaches.
  • storkey7storkey7 Member Posts: 14
    I was wondering if anyone new what I should pay for one of these now? I know there are still a couple left and I really love the car. I do not however have a GM Card. Anyone have any idea what my payment might look like? I live in NY
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Invoice less $5000 (GM buyout that they gave to all dealers with '04 GTOs still on their lot after Jan. 3). If you presently own another GM car there's a $1500 loyalty rebate. Don't forget about any military discounts, Oldsmobile owner discount, GM sidesaddle settlements, retiree certificates, et. al.

--Robert
  • sydney80sydney80 Member Posts: 3
    Robert,

"Don't forget about any military discounts, Oldsmobile owner discount, GM sidesaddle settlements, retiree certificates, et. al."

Where do I find out about all these other available discounts?

Also, do you know what the invoice price is?

Thanks!
    Military discount - if you're in the service presently

College grad discount - must have graduated recently (last 6 months?)

Olds owner loyalty - must have bought an Olds NEW from I think 1996-onward.

GM sidesaddle settlement vouchers - must have owned a '73-'87 pickup with sidesaddle gas tanks (the infamous NBC DateLine fudged story). I understand these vouchers can be sold/traded and they sometimes appear on eBay.

Re: invoice price, you can get that from Edmunds. I want to say 31,2 for a stick vehicle, and 31,7 for an auto, but that's just off the top of my head and I'm too lazy to look it up right now :-)

Hope this helps,

--Robert
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    I have shopped hard for an '04 GTO across a six state area (Maryland to Illinois) over the last three weeks.

While I did find several willing to sell for less than invoice (minus the $5000 final pay-out, loyalty money, etc.) there are many dealers still holding out for well over invoice (less final pay-out, loyalty money, etc.).

Ultimately, I decided against making a purchase (at least for now) but now understand why so many such units are still sitting on lots across the country.
  • kcflyerkcflyer Member Posts: 78
    FYI

Wright Pontiac in Beaver PA has an 04 Yellow Jacket (has the hood of an 05). I've been impressed with their service dept. They treat me well even though I purchased my GMC before moving to this area. I'd be curious to see how anxious they are to part with the GTO before the 05's start arriving. (relatively small dealership) Give them a call and let us know.
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Thanks - right now I'm waiting to see what happens with incentives next Tuesday.

Although I did not contact that particular store I did receive some good price quotes in that region - best was $23,900 for an automatic.

The '05s are on the ground across the country now.
  • sportgtosportgto Member Posts: 14
    Just got an '05 Goat, Blk/Blk 6sp, it's far better than '04. Big difference in the power, brakes, and traction control (the gas pedal doesn't push back against your foot)among other things. Not to mention the better looking exterior. I love the large dual pipes, "in stereo". It was well worth the wait and the extra money.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Two posts about reviews on the Pontiac GTO were moved to the Pontiac GTO discussion so this can remain strictly about GTO Prices Paid & Buying Experiences.

Thanks!
  • oldboboldbob Member Posts: 41
    05 price offer $32111 on LI,NY
    Stick or auto?

Invoice (including destination) on stick is around $31,200.
    Invoice (including destination and gas guzzler tax) on A4 is around $31,900. Dealers may have services and advertising fees (which you don't pay if you're a GM employee purchase). Anyone not dealing within $500 of invoice on this car is not being realistic...

There aren't any national incentives on the car right now, only some discounted financing rates. They do seem to be moving faster than the '04's were, since many dealers are being more realistic with pricing than last year at this time...
    how about an 04 in yellow 6spd, chrome rims, tint for $28000?
    Seems a litle high. Of course, the 6 speed cars are very rare/in demand. Also not sure of the value of the rims (are the tires the same, or are the rims bigger? If they are the stockers chromed, this cost the dealership $600-$800). Each dealer got a $5k payout from GM. So, figure invoice of 31,2, take off the 5k, and then maybe add something for the rims. Don't forget they are still making the 3% holdback on the cars (helps overcome the floor plan on the cars) - some dealers are dipping into this (A4 cars invoiced for 31,7, lots of dealers willing to sell for 24-25k). Again, though, you probably can't find too many sticks still on the lots since they are more in demand.
  • brushbanditbrushbandit Member Posts: 33
    Picked up an 04 A4 Impulse Blue for 9K under invoice, $24495. Corvette drivetrain in a very nice car for Grand Am money. I couldn't pass it up. So far I love it.
  • reuel3reuel3 Member Posts: 114
    brushbandit,

Congratulations on your purchase. Could you let us know your dealership name? That way others who are shopping in the same area can benefit.
  • brushbanditbrushbandit Member Posts: 33
    Yes, I bought it at Key Pontiac in Bethlehem,Pa. They still have 2 black 04 M6, Silver 04 A4, and a yellow 04 M6 with a Ram Air fiberglass hood the dealer installed. Obviously, they are very motivated to move all of them.
    Has anyone actually bought a new 2005 gto 5spd? What did you really pay?
    I have not, but have read of others doing so. It's fairly common to pay $500 over invoice. I see you're on Long Island - contact Arnold Pontiac, as they are advertising on another site that they have 10 2005's and are willing to sell for $500 over invoice (invoice is around $31,200, add the $500, then any advertising/dealer services fees, and tax/title/license fees).
  • oldgoateeoldgoatee Member Posts: 2
    Thought that I would share my Goat hunting adventure just in case it gives someone else some hints. I wanted only a particular combo: ‘05 Quicksilver/Red with 6-speed. Got on pontiac.com and used the “Locate Vehicle” feature to search all dealerships within a comfortable day’s round trip from home. Only found 3 such cars to my spec, 2 about 3 hours away, and 1 about 5 hours away. Then used the “Request a Quote” feature from the “Window Sticker” page to contact each dealer about each car.

First step was to find out if the dealer was willing to do the GM Supplier Discount that my employer makes possible. For the 6-speeder, list is $33,690, invoice is $31,192, and the Supplier Discount price is $31,653 (for comparison, the GM Employee, which I ain’t, price is $30,293). The two closest dealers (of course) were “uncooperative”. One refused to honor the GM Discount (his firm price was $32,690, which suggests that’s the current non-greedy ’05 price, effectively a $1000 discount from MSRP for anyone). The second didn’t seem to be too internet-savvy, originally responded to “your parts request” (huhh?), then was very slow to respond to questions.

The third (farthest away, of course) dealer was the most responsive. All my questions via e-mail and phone were answered promptly. He honored the Supplier Discount price without hesitation. Plus I wanted the inset front nose grilles from the Sport Appearance Package, which he had in stock and agreed to provide at his cost ($235 with free installation). Finally, he had no problem reducing the “documentation fee” (that popular all-purpose rip-off) to the maximum $75 allowed by the GM program regulations. On top of everything else, GMAC currently has a 0% APR 36-month loan on the GTO, which makes no sense if I understand where Mr. Greenspan is headed, but I’m not one to turn down free money.

So I made a verbal agreement with this third dealer, requested the grille package installation, gave some credit information over the phone, and agreed to pick up the car in a couple of days. Showed up two days later, our GTO was waiting for us right out front, my wife and I went over the whole thing with a fine tooth-comb, the Goat looked great (that SAP grille package on the Quicksilver car looks absolutely spectacular). I kept on waiting for the “games” to begin. But there was absolutely no BS – everything was exactly as had been verbally agreed to. Signed all the waiting paperwork and jumped into the GTO for the dreamy 5 hour drive home. Top notch professionalism throughout.

So who WAS this dealer? Bob King Pontiac/GMC in Wilmington, NC. Never been there before – a really big dealership. When I last checked, they had 7 (or more?) ’05 GTOs in stock, and only 1 ’04 GTO left (which means they were not stupid with last year’s GTO prices). I recommend them highly and have no connection with them (they are so far away from me I can’t even get my oil changed there).
  • billy_goatbilly_goat Member Posts: 1
    Do you happen to know if the up-front payment is only available at the purchase time or if it can happen soon after? I signed a 1-3-5 lease and don't remember the option. The deal was still a great one 'though.
  • gmhellmangmhellman Member Posts: 121
    The GTO you purchased sounds absolutely awesome. Do you have pictures that you can post....can't afford a GTO nor do I have the lifestyle for one. (wife and kid :) I do love them, but cannot ask for their sacrifice so I can drive a sweet ride. So I ask to vicaiously live through your photos, if you are able to provide them.
  • oldgoateeoldgoatee Member Posts: 2
    Greg, I hear you. Half a lifetime ago, I was at the same place. Don't despair, time (and depreciation!) are working for you. In 5 years' time, there should be a bunch of affordable GTOs out there. Lots of them will have had only one old f*rt, engineer, previous owner who has gotten too senile to slam 400 HP through the gearbox. Maybe you'll be my car's second owner?

I haven't taken any photos yet - it's been raining since I got the GTO on Friday. After I get some photos into my home page, I'll post the link. I don't like the usual canned photos of the car - they are all shot from too low an angle (IMHO). The car's elegant lines looks best from a normal standing height.
  • gmhellmangmhellman Member Posts: 121
    That is my only salvation is to find a well loved but slightly used GTO. I would love to be your cars second owner...although the future plans by GM show the GTO ending in 07 due to a stop on the new platform. It seems that the bean counters stuck their fingers into things again and are effectively putting an end to small niche car simply because it does not sell in numbers that say an econo box-rental fleet GA did. IMHO it may be best to hang on to you GTO until they pry the keys out of your cold dead hands. I really hope that GM does not kill a really decent sport coupe or even the entire Pontiac line.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    This is the Prices Paid & Buying Experiences discussion. If you want to discuss the GTO - please do so in the Pontiac GTO discussion so this can remain about the shopping experience.
    2005 m6 gto $32118+tax.
  • mparis1mparis1 Member Posts: 107
    where did you buy your o5 gto auto.... igot price of $33500. 00 in brooklyn...who should i go to see...tanks....michael
  • reuel3reuel3 Member Posts: 114
    Please do not ask for or provide the names of dealership staff in the forums as your posts will be deleted. The policy is clearly stated in red writing at the bottom of the page under the "Post a Message" heading.

Thank you for your cooperation.
    Go to Sun Pontiac in Wantaugh LI or Arnold Pontiac in West Babylon. I would use www.gmbuypower.com to check inventory and ask for a quote.
    The auto trans cost is with gas guz. tax of
    $1300 but minus $695 for 6spd. Another guy told me that he paid $32500 for the auto trans car at Sun Pontiac in Wantaugh L.I. I can't give you the name of the sales person he dealt with, but in any case the sales manager has to approve the price, so I guess you can deal with anyone. You might ask for the internet sales person.
    hello again...i am confused..does that mean for my automatic ..they will charge me $695. more than what you paid....32118 t 695=$32813.00 ??? ...you bought yours at Arnold pontiac westbury, right....
    Contact both Arnold Pontiac in West Babylon and Sun Pontiac in Wantaugh and make your best deal.
    My car=2005 gto with 6 speed@32118 from Arnold.
    Another guy said=2005 gto with auto trans@32500 from Sun Pontiac.
  • bar_xxbar_xx Member Posts: 8
    The 2004 & 2005 comes standard with an automatic transmission. Because of its excess fuel consumption with the AT the Fed. Govt. charges a guzzle tax. The tax is as follows
    2004 model $1000.00
    2005 model $1300.00
    This amount is part of the MSRP.
    However if you order the 6sp manual tranmission which is a $695.00 option for both years, this meets the govt. rating for fuel consumption. Therefore by ordering the 6 sp you save $305.00 on an 04 and $605.00 on an 05. Thus the cheaper price on cars with this option.
    does anyone know the dealer cost for the front nose inserts for 2005 GTO....what about the existing {2} front grilles ...? what should i receive from the dealer if i return them in the exchange? just the grilles from the sport paclkage thatis all....thanks everyone...
    WHAT ABOUT THIS NEW RECYCLE TIRE FEE IN NEW YORK STATE....what is this about??? thanks again
    I think you're referring to the autocross grille inserts. Those run $200-$225 through the dealership's parts department. Bear in mind that the front bumper cover needs to be removed in order to install or remove them - kind of a PITA.

--Robert
    thanks for the info... is that with installation? what is the total cost i should deal with??
    also, one last thing ......the original grille parts [2}...should i sell them part to dealer?include in the transfer price? or just throew them in the trunk?
    SHOULD BE GETTING 2005 GTO this week
    THANKS ....AGAIN...EVERYONE HERE. great site..great information
    The $200-$225 cost is just parts, not install. Figure a couple of hours of labor, at whatever the dealer's body shop rate is, to install, and make sure they don't break any of the clips on the front bumper cover. As to the old grilles, they are only really useful to someone who has broken them due to an accident or whatever. Having said that, I wouldn't let the dealer just keep thsm unless they give you some discount ($50? $25?) off the package cost. You can always sell 'em on eBay to somebody...

--Robert
  • jontyreesjontyrees Member Posts: 160
    Completely different story for me in Austin TX at Champion. Went in on Friday around 5.30pm, had a nice chat with their Internet sales guy, then went for a test drive, during which he told me that on that particular stretch of road, his buddy took it up to xxxmph on another test drive - "I knew he would". I told him I was definitely interested, but that my wife would have to come by for a drive and to see if the car fit her, (she's 5'2", and it's a manual). "No problem - want to take it home? You can keep it overnight if you like"

They were great - we liked it and had them bring in one in our color preference at the same price. Just a good allaround buying experience. Plus they didn't give me a hard time about the crease my wife put in the rim of the test car on a bank drive through curb - doh!
  • rob999rob999 Member Posts: 233
    Grrrrr.

I'm considering trading my current car, and I've been interested in the GTO for a while, so today I decided to go to a dealer (on Golf Road, Schaumburg, IL) during my lunch hour for a test drive. (I'm a middle-aged guy, dressed conservatively / business casual, and driving a late model car.) I parked right next to the front door and was looking at a GTO parked just outside the entrance. A sales guy popped out about 5 seconds later and asked if I wanted anything. Told him I was interested in test-driving a 6-speed GTO. Immediately he started coming up with excuses like: "this is a PERFORMANCE car - we normally don't do test drives" and "well, are you going to buy TODAY" ? He wouldn't even let me drive one of the left-over 2004 cars.

What a bunch of crap! Before I bought our Saab the sales guy gave me the keys and let me have the car for the afternoon. I probably could've gone into any import showroom where cars are 2-3 times as expensive as the GTO and would have been allowed a test drive in a heartbeat.

I might've expected this attitude when the GTO first came out last year and dealers were tacking on $3,000 to MSRP, but now we're talking about 2004-model cars with significant incentives.

Have any of you others experienced a similar attitude lately?
  • midwesttradermidwesttrader Member Posts: 291
    You've hit on two of the issues that have plagued this car from day one. Dealer price gouging and having to beg for test drives. I ran into this last summer and it sounds like it's still a problem with too many dealers today. Pontiac dealers seem to just suck.

You can either go back to the same store and ask for the new car sales manager, ream him about the salesman, and see how he reacts or find another store. Unfortunately my bad experience was at the dealer closest to my house.

I'm considering pulling the trigger on an '05 in the fall but gas prices have me wondering. I don't think we'll see it under $2/gal ever again and $4 or $5 is not unthinkable down the road.

Another thing, make sure you're comfortable with the trunk, it's TINY!
  • gunitgunit Member Posts: 469
    Rob999,

I just bought a new 2005 Impluse blue metallic GTO and took it home today. The dealer was very nice to me. Had no problem offering me a test drive and were very friendly. I am in my early 30's and was dressed in jeans and a sweatshirt, LOL! No attitude whatsover and no pressure to buy. I bought anyway, LOL! I even had my 2 yr old son with me, LOL! They offered to watch him while I test drove the car, VERY NICE of them. Probably just a bad dealer or salesman you ran into.
  • gunitgunit Member Posts: 469
    midwesttrader,

Yes the trunk is TINY, but still fits my son's McLaren stroller and some bags, good enough for us. His car seat fits MUCH BETTER in the GTO then it does in the Mustang. Gto has roomier backseat then Mustang. that was a must for me. By the same token the trunk is bigger on the mustang. I need the room in the backseat. Very nice car.... Very awesome exhaust V8 sound.. almost sounds like they have glasspack mufflers on there.
    Make sure you visit our regular Pontiac GTO discussion to talk about the vehicle's features and ownership experiences.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

yes some dealers in new york the same crap........"no test drive because it had "performance tires"..... no test drive...."dead batteries"............please stop the crap.............finally bougt one in brooklyn,ny he ad to get it from new jersey............knew nothing about the cat...had to teach him to get a grille inserts..............afterwards he admitted too much bother with such a machine and will not orde anmymore...wow.....no wonder the GTO IS DEAD.
    DROVE IT 2 DAYS NOW.....................WHAT A MACHINE.EVEN HOLE -SHOTTED A NEW DODGE VIPER....just keep the tractiopn control off,,,,,,,,,,,theguy wanted to know what car it was ...said it is a GTO...HE NEVER SAW ONE..............PONTIAC CERTAINLY BLEW IT.....
    I can attest to the fact that the batteries on the GTO are weak. Mine on my replacement car was dead when I went to pick the car up. It also seemd to be weeping... took it out when I stored my car. Less than a month later, it was leaking on my workbench. Just picked up an Optima Red Top 134R battery (friend of a friend drives a battery truck all day, got a great price) which I'll be putting in my GTO tomorrow.

Regarding the lack of test drives, I would have immediately asked to speak to the General Manager. That attitude is ridiculous, especially on the '04s. A couple of possible reasons why they may not have wanted to do the test-drive:

1) Today was the 31st. They wanted to do any deals ASAP so they could book them this month. Thought you might be a window-shopper and not a serious buyer, so they didn't want to take the time/blew you off.
    2) There are very few 6-speed '04's left on dealer lots. A4 cars are not a problem...

Of course, you can just go to another dealership. I wouldn't let this one bad experience turn you away from considering this car. Don't know if calling Pontiac and complaining would, but nothing beats buying the car elsewhere, and stopping by to show the new car to the salesman who blew you off :-)

--Robert
  • rob999rob999 Member Posts: 233
    I've not written off the GTO by any means. There are plenty of Pontiac dealers in the suburban Chicago area - I just won't go to back to Napleton / Schaumburg. I've never experienced anything like yesterday at any other dealer, period, especially the "are you going to buy TODAY" crap. He offered to let me actually "SIT" in the showroom car (wow!), but I was so pissed at the time I just turned and walked.
This discussion has been closed.