Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Porsche 911

Comments

• vwguild1vwguild1 Posts: 98
    Your CPO Warranty on this C2S will run for 6 years or up to 100,000 miles from the original "In Service" date. Will have a "Brake Flush", Oil Service and Tires if needed...4MM tread depth is the minimum...

I would also be careful about accepting 20-25% discounts or 7-9% either at face value...All depends upon the the Market, the car, and the Dealer...and all differ from coast to coast. Only 162 new C2S sold in March in the US...Allocations remain tight...
  • chile96chile96 Posts: 330
    i'd jump on that 40th Anniv car. Even though it's a CPO, go ahead and pay another dealer or independent shop $250-300 for a thorough PPI. There may be a reason why it's priced so aggressively.

Don't think because it's a CPO, you've got nothing to worry about. THere are things it does not cover. And also, if you're paying $60K for a car, you don't want it to be in & out of the shop monthly even if the issues are covered under warranty
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    "I would also be careful about accepting 20-25% discounts or 7-9% either at face value...All depends upon the the Market, the car, and the Dealer...and all differ from coast to coast. Only 162 new C2S sold in March in the US...Allocations remain tight..."

Spoken like a true salesman.

My recommendation to anyone hearing the pitch that "allocations remain tight" is to check out inventories on the Porsche website of dealers in their area and even out of state. You may be surprised to see not only many C2S's sitting on dealer lots - included some leftover 2006's - but also more than a few unsold 2007 911 Turbos.

The four (4) DC area dealers all told me in July-September 2005 that the C2S Cab I was interested in was a hot car and "allocations remained tight", as an excuse to make me feel like a $2,000 discount was a big favor. A Pittsburgh dealer immediately offered to discount a new, made to order car by $5,000 or anything in their inventory by $7,000. I was prepared to go that route until a Baltimore dealer agreed to a $10k+ discount (10%) on a brand new 2005 C2S Cab they had in stock. Both the Pittsburgh dealer and Baltimore dealer have shipped several cars to the Arizona and California where dealers apparantly think their customers are to lazy or dumb to surf the internet.

And, for the record, not only do I get excellent service at the one local DC dealer I take my car in for service at - the new sales manager has personally assured me he would not let my business slip away the next time.

There are no "tight allocations" on any 911, save for the GT3. Take what a sales person says with a large dose of salt.
    Thank you for reinforcing my point...Different markets, different cars, different dealers...

Time of year is important here as well...July we are already ordering for the next model year, and into September
    the snow is right around the corner; so your timing was excellent. And for reasons that I will never know...some of the prettiest cars cannot find a home and sit for months. We had this experience with a beautiful Atlas Grey C2S Cab with Full Grey leather...sat here for close to 10 months...Finally someone said, "Perfect combo for me".

In 2006 PCNA built and sold 12,045 911s, all flavors including 15 Carrera GTS. Divide that by 196 Dealers in the US...not a lot to go around...Some get more; others get less.
    And the same can be said for the RS, only worse. some got 3-4, some got 1-2, others got none...

You are also correct about 997 Turbos...The bigger Dealers that received larger allocations probably refused to complete an order list hoping for a few folks that might be a bit spontaneous and sell them for a bit more than MSRP. That's the gamble that some will take...On the other hand, to spend over $125,000.00 for a car that someone else ordered would not work unless it was a perfect fit for me...
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,658
    We took our annual trip to the NY auto show on Sunday morning. Every year Porsche has more and more cars open. This year there were more cars open then not. I had the pleasure of sitting in a 911 C2S Coupe. If there weren't dozens of State Troopers and a flight of steps, I would have driven that car right out of there! What a beautiful car! All you people who get to drive these magnificent machines should be very happy and proud of yourselves. I'm definitely going to own a 911 one day (a day far, far away).

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• bsissibsissi Posts: 14
    Dress up, drive your nicest car to a dealer. Act sincere about planning to buy, the salesmen are bored to death standing around. They will let you drive them not just sit.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,161
    Sometimes... you can get a drive, even if you show up in an old Honda and jeans... ;)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• bpm69bpm69 Posts: 10
    I am looking for a 07 targa c4s. My dealer won't have it in the color I want and will have to source it from another dealer. How much off MSRP can I expect?
    The question is confusing...
  • Brian,

Can you please tell me what you purchased and how much you paid and when this took place. Also, how did you settle up with Don for the price of the vehicle?

thanks
    2004 911 aniversary, 28K mi. Don has you do your own research to decide your top bid price on any of many cars that are listed on the auction well in advance. He goes a day ahead and inspects the vehicle to let you know of any flaws. I had picked a number but Don got it for less. My cost was $60K including his $1k commission and a small auction fee. The dealership he also works for (finding cars also) buys the car from the auction and handles the paperwork with the buyer(licence, tags ect). May 2006
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,658
    bsissi: I work 6 days a week and have a 6 month old baby boy. I don't have the time to waste and I'm sure the salespeople don't either.

kyfdx: Does my '01 Prelude Type SH count as an "old" Honda? If it does, check. Jeans, the Old Navy Painter's Jeans I wear to work or one of the other pairs? Check!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• upnorth2upnorth2 Posts: 12
    When I decided to buy a new Porsche, I initially wanted Turbo or GT-3 model but found that they didn't offer a Cabriolet version that year. I "settled" for a 2006 911S Cab. I have never regretted the move. I have put 5000 miles on it and am stilled awed at its power and performance. The marginal increase in performance with a turbo isn't worth the extra cost and potential problems it presents. I've had no problems with the car. Cost to drive it out of the showroom: $112,750.00
  • upnorth2upnorth2 Posts: 12
    I bought a 2006 911S cab and was alarmed when I needed to add a quart of oil at 1500 miles. I called the service manager at the dealer and he assured me that that was normal consumption during break in. Oil consumption slowed down some but I still added another quart at 4000 miles. These are high compression engines running on 0-w40 synthetic oil. The stuff is as thin as water. Its no wonder some pisses out. By the way, I am stilled awed by the performance.
  • You can figure the dealer has about 10K mark in the vehicle. You may be surprised to learn the only cost in the Certified PreOwned Porsche Program is the technician time to check over the vehicle. Porsche Cars NA charges nothing.........
    "Cost to drive it out of the showroom: $112,750.00"

Yikes! What options do you have on the car and what is your local tax rate?

I picked up a brand new 2005 Cab S in September 2005 for a price of $92,000 n/i taxes (MSRP of $102,800). Titled it in PA and thanks to a small trade in credit, only paid $4,500 in taxes. Mine has a fair number of options: full leather/power/heated seats, nav, Bose, 6-cd, Porsche sport exhaust, self dim mirrors and a few cosmetic do-dads. I have received an attractive offer to sell my car to a friend, but as with you, the only two alternatives I would consider are a GT3 and Turbo. The Turbo coupe would not please my daughters who enjoy the back seat with the top down and the GT3 doesn't even have a back seat. So I think the Cab S is here to stay for the foreseeable future. I almost considered simply getting a new 2007 Cab S to restart the warranty, but heck, at 12,800 miles, mine is hardly broken in.
  • How do you like the car. I really want to get the 2004 911 aniversary but they are asking 60k. The car has 13,600 miles and it looks like new. The seats don't even look like someone has sat in them. Have you had any problems. What will you do about the warranty once the factory one runs out. Have you priced a 3rd party extended because the dealer told me that Porsche will not sell you a warranty unless you buy the vehicle from them. How much does the warranty cost?

Thanks again for the help.
    PCNA charges nothing except for the $1600.00 for the Warranty...
  • I am getting closer to my decision to buy a 2004 Anniversary edition 911 Carrera (13,600 miles). The vehicle is CPO so I have almost 3 years left on the warranty. My latest struggle with this purchase is whether or not to buy an extended warranty from Nation wide (6 years, 100K for $4,400) or from the dealer (6 years, 100K for 3,999) or to go without an extended once the CPO warranty expires. My rationale for no warranty is these cars are well built, have received great quality ratings and warranty's are typically a waste of money. My rationale for getting a warranty is piece of mind that should a major failure occur, I will be covered (hopefully). Let me know your thoughts and whether you decided to go without warranty.
    I believe that you will find that you have plenty of time/miles before the deadline to buy the extended coverage. Save your money over time and do it.
    I love the car. It uses a lot of oil though. The dealer has it for repair under warranty.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    RE: Allocations remain tight and '06 sales figures

I wish you had reported not just '06 figures but sales in '07 and monthly sales in '07 compared to the same month in '06. I read recently that Porsche sales have significantly decreased in the last six months. (This is notsurprising: the Cayenne is on a downward slope, the Cayman hasn't taken off despite some new lease programs, and the 911 costs serious money. With housing prices going down, the "wealth effect" ---"honey, look we're rich: our house is now worth 900K and we can pull some money out" no longer holds.) In New England dealers still have nice (i.e, minimally optioned but with nice colors) new '06 911s on the lot with monthly interest payments that must be killing them.

McMansions and Porsches are now in a buyers market.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    Topspin, I know you directed your question at Habitat1 who is very knowledgeable but I wanted to chime in. I have considered a 911 for daily use in New England but can't convince myself it would work. Here are a couple of ideas that maybe you haven't considered. The upward egress out of a 911 can be tough enough unless you are 19 years old in jeans. But it must be very difficult for a middle aged guy in business wear onto a slippary surface. Secondly, I suspect that in snowy/icy conditions you couldn't be as protective of the body and finish as you might like. Parking in outdoor lots surrounded by SUVs and shopping carriages, trying to keep it clean, etc. could become aggravating. Finally, you would defintely want some winter tires and wheels and I could only guess what that might cost. Maybe 3-4K for good tires and cheapo wheels?

But here is a solution. I love my Cayenne. Great ground clearance, good visibility, good all weather capability , rear wiper (optional and rare on a 911) and rear window defrost, etc.
    McMansions and Porsches are now in a buyers market.

According to my dealer, the slowdown that he has seen from the "wealth effect" you refer to has actually impacted the Boxster and Cayman more than the 911. And would have impacted the Cayenne, if not for the new model.

On another subject, I'm looking forward to a test drive later this summer of the new base Cayenne with the 6-speed manual transmission. My dealer has indicated he will order one "just to tempt me". Well equiped, it should come in at around $50k and with the upgraded engine and manual transmission, he thinks it will match the performance of the previous Cayenne S automatic. If only the new Cayenne S came with a stick.
    You ring...We bring!

Month to Date: MARCH
    987/2007: 1036
    987/2006: 995
    997/2007: 1363
    997/2006: 1127
    Cayenne/2007: 877
    Cayenne/2006: 1052

Year to Date:
    987/2007: 2213
    987/2006: 3256
    997/2007: 3371
    997/2006: 2841
    Cayenne/2007: 2641
    Cayenne/2006: 3002
  • topspin628topspin628 Posts: 373
    Thanks, I would love to hear about your Cayenne. I remember cross shopping it with the BMW X5 I wound up leasing. At the time the BMW felt more solid and heavier which for me was more of the SUV feel I wanted. The Cay seemed lighter and the doors didn't close with the thud of a "german car". How do you like it and why? Is it "car like". How's the gas mileage and reliability.
  • "According to my dealer, the slowdown that he has seen from the "wealth effect" you refer to has actually impacted the Boxster and Cayman more than the 911."

I've known my Porsche salesman for more than 30 years and he tells me the same story. His allotment of turbos and GT3s is just about gone, has a decent, but not overhwleming selections of 911, 2 Base Boxsters, etc. All '07s.

He just took a 2001 911 arctic silver couple in trade on an '07 911. Has about 25,000 original miles, asking $43,000.

Was thinking of offering them 40k if they paid the $$$ to make it Porsche certified as a used car. Dealer also has an outstanding '05 911 coupe with about 10,000 miles on it but they want $70K. Too much for a summer toy.
    "Dealer also has an outstanding '05 911 coupe with about 10,000 miles on it but they want $70K."

Sounds like your dealer is a little pricey. Unless that base coupe is overloaded with options, it probably didn't sell for a whole lot more than $72-75k new. By comparison, that would mean they would be asking close to $90k for my 2005 S Cab ($20k+ higher MSRP than a base coupe, plus $13k in options). That's about $8,000 more than it's really worth.
    Actually, the 05 is pretty accurately priced...Since there are very few stripped 911s out there...Figure Full Leather, Power Seat Pkg., NAV, Bose, 19s, CD Changer...KBB puts it at $72,415.00 with no adjustment for CPO status...which on this car apprx. 2011 or 100,000 Miles, whichever comes first.

C2s with similar mileage are going thru the Auctions at $63,000-$64,000. Options not accounted for.
  • THanks of rthe info. Come Snday I think I'll go take a long hard look at the '05. It does have NAV, BOSE, etc. Not sure about 18" vs. 19" wheels. I have the CARFAX on the '01 but not on the '05. '01 was locally owned and traded in on an '07. This dealer buys a lot of cars nationally as they comes off of lease.

Again, thanks