Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Porsche 911

Comments

• Options
    bluemule55bluemule55 Member Posts: 1
    Porsche!. The one car,item I am about to acquire and I have the means and the smarts to do the work. But first I need some inside wrench tips and tricks. Diesel Heavy equipment mechanic about to do one of two things: either buy a 911 shell and put that over a good used drivetrain or vice versa; install drive train into shell. which ever way you view it. Both can be had for about 5K and doesn't include shipping. I need to know if anything in the 1980 series of 911's ( from 1981 to 1989) was made different and how it could be safely modified to work correctly,or, is it possible t install drivetrain from 1989 and up 911's into early to middle 1980's 911's shell?
    Purchased the manuals made by Haynes that cover the entire year range I am looking at. Would've acquired the 914 but have been told by reliabale source they are basically a rolling re-bar heap.
    So.....questions will abound as I dive off into looking into this idea. Any technical manuals and locations would be very handy to have as well. Have rebuild engines but nothing quite this complicated. But if it were easy, then only girls would do it. Sorry ladies.
    Please reply ASAP.
    Don
  • Options
    bf109acebf109ace Member Posts: 77
    Nissan used 997 Turbo as the benchmark when designing the GT-R - a all-wheel drive super sports car with DSG transmission and a 3.8L V6 twin-turbo delivering 473hp and 434lb-feet torque.

Here is the article:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=123067

The article says the GT-R has comparable performance as the 997 Turbo but commends a much lower price of a base 911.

Thoughts and comments are welcome.
  • Options
    w210w210 Member Posts: 188
    Not much torque I wonder how the car will drive on the street.
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    The performance on paper looks impressive, but the car iself looks butt ugly. And it's probably the 1 in 100 (not me) buyers of a 911 Turbo that can effectively use the extra power over a 911S.

Whether you like the German styling of the 911 or the Italian styling of the F430, it appears that you would need to be nearly blind to think this Mattel Toy "transformerd" version of a 350Z and G35 is attractive. And if you are nearly blind, you are going to have a tough time driving it.

Personally, I think Nissan might want to focus upon giving us a 350Z that isn't grossly overweight and underwhelming in performance at the $30-$35k level before they try tackling the supercar level. I found the 350Z to be a complete noncontender when I bought a Honda S2000 over a Porsche Boxster in 2001. I'd advise them to try to at least become competitive in their club champinonship before entering the US Open.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Replying to:
    bluemule55, "Porsche 911" #1717, 2 Sep 2007 9:26 pm

You'd probably want to use the G50 transmission (starting in 1987) and if possible a 1988/89 engine with the Bosch DME injection system.

If you put a newer motor into an older 80s 911 with the 915 transmission, you're probably going to blow the trans out. It's not strong enough.

Nothing wrong with a 914--it's a cheaply built car that's true, with a VW engine, but it's a pretty fierce autocross car and still does very very well in SCAA.

Actually building a 914 with a Porsche 3.2 motor would be way fun.

Actually why don't you just buy an 88-89? They're great cars just as they are.
  • Options
    upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Habitat,
    I believe you have a 911. This is a little off topic but have you tried putting a child seat or booster seat in the back seat? Thanks
  • Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    Child Seats Can Be Done! While I don't own a 911 or any Porsche for that matter, I have seen with my own perfect 20/20 vision a 997 911 Turbo with 2 (YES TWO) forward facing child seats in the back.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    rosannewilsonrosannewilson Member Posts: 1
    I have an 1999S I love this car, I need to replace one of the light bulbs in the head light. I have the bulb but not sure on how to take off head light or do you pull the black tabs in the trunk next to the head light? If any!one can help me please get back to me. I just spend 1500.00 on a oil leak. Please get back to me asap ! I can't drive the car at night, rosannewilson@volcano.net I live up in the Jackson Californa up in the mountains and it take 2 hrs to get to a porche dealer in Rosevile . :confuse:
  • Options
    I haven't attempted putting a child/booster seat in the car. My youngest was on the bubble of needing a booster seat at the time of purchase - and she's still in a booster seat for long trips in our MDX - mostly because of the flat bench seat and high seatbelts. But the rear seats in the 911 are much more form fitting and and seat belt location in the 911 is across her chest (not neck).

Another factor in the Cab vs. Coupe is that the Cab seatbacks are almost vertical, while the coupes are more naturally angled back, with a little more room. I think that helps accomodate child seats much better in the coupe.
  • Options
    Thanks for the link. Did it say what seats are compatible with certain vehicles? I couldn't find it.
  • Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    No, it doesn't but a few 997 owners from the Rennlist forum recommended this seat.
  • Options
    Now, this is important, could you see if they were child seats or booster seats? This is the selling point to the wife. Sure honey we can ALL go in the car ;) The little one is 2 yrs and still in a child seat (Britax, if that makes any difference) Thanks
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    They were child seats. Like the Britax marathon that my 13 month old son sits in.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    shulseshulse Member Posts: 11
    For me, this was very important. We bought the child seat for the 997. It is molded to fit well in the back seat, and is easy to use. Our Britax seat from the other car would not fit, not even close. I'd recommend the pricey child seat from Porsche, it works well.
  • Options
    tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    So... I accidently let the battery run down in my '07 Carrera S Cab... and I must warn all of you that are not aware of this... try NOT to let it happen to you. It's a bit of a royal pain.

Since the front compartment can only be accessed with the electric switch, and since there is no electricity, the switch becomes useless and access is denied.

There is no access to the battery without first going through a ridiculous procedure. The owners manual calls for the use of an auxiliary battery and jumper cables to hook up the aux battery to a special connection in the fuse panel by the driver's left foot well. Once hooked up, the cargo release button can be pressed from the remote control on the key... but only after the alarm is shut off in the event it is triggered.

Once the cargo area has access, then the battery can be charged or jumped in the routine fashion.

Surely, there must be another way around this Mickey Mouse way to access the battery. What about keeping one of those little devices that gives a boost through the 12V outlet?

Anyway... just a small warning to those that haven't experienced THAT little delightful experience. ;)

TagMan
  • Options
    vwguild1vwguild1 Member Posts: 98
    As a matter of course, it is recommended to always use a trickle charger...Porsche offers two...if the car is going to sit idle for weeks at a time, and second...never leave your key in the car for these extended periods of downtime...

And don't feel bad about the process...we have to utilize the same proccedure...
  • Options
    It kills me to have to post this, but if you think you had problems due to a low battery...

..Don't leave your Porsche out in the rain!

My car is completely dead, has been at the dealership for over a week and all they can tell me is that the controller unit is "red ordered" from the factory and hopefully will arrive in another week or two.

Apparantly, both the 911 and Boxster are susceptable to clogging of the drains located in the front cowl area, as a result, water building up and leaking INSIDE the car. As soon as that happens, the controller unit located under the driver's seat gets wet and things start to short out and/or fry. The tail lights came on, the spoiler popped up, the alarm went off and could not be deactivated (truned off by itself after 25 minutes), and evenutally, everything goes completely dead. The only thing we could do with the key is mechanically open the drivers door and they the key got locked in the ignition when I tried putting it in to turn the wheels for the flatbed driver. The fuse box in the driver's footwell is also fried out.

This all happened after we had our first rain in a couple of months in the DC area and I left the 911 outside and uncovered. The dealer suggested I call my insurance company to file a comprehensive claim. I expressed disbelief that this would not be a warranty issue - and pointed out that the car had just been in for a $750 service that was supposed to include a check and cleaning of those drains. The dealer backed off and said they would get back to me after they were able to get a controler and start looking at the full extent of the damages.

This is ABSURD, IMO. Apparantly, this is a common enough of an occurance, that whenever we have widespread rain after periods of drought (that supposedly allows dust and particles to buildup), there is a nationwide run on controler units for 911's and Boxsters. I have never had another car in 30+ years that ever had a drop of water leak into it being left outside in the rain. Can anyone say "design flaw"??

The good news is that I was at a school social function Friday night and one of the other dads is a lobbyist/consultant for Porsche. He had just left a BBQ at his house with the senior guys from Stuttgart and Atlanta. So I have an inside track on getting "satisfactory resolution" as he would put it. That might also include getting a Cayenne GTS at employee pricing (below invoice), so I'm going to be polite for at least another week or two.

But the idea that the drains are so susceptible to clogging and that could result in "several thousand" dollars worth of damage becasue the car is left out in a medium rain (1") for 2 hours?
  • Options
    kennygoodboykennygoodboy Member Posts: 13
    That is awful, I have never heard about this problem. I assume this is for all 911's and not just the cab, correct?
  • Options
    Correct. I had thought I was previously forewarned about keeping leaves from getting into the area underneath the metal tonneau cover, but the area in which the leak occured is in front of the windshield cowl, which is an identical design in the coupe, cab and targa (and very similar in the Boxster).

To add insult to injury, the first towing service that Porsche Roadside Assistance sent out were complete idiots. They claimed they would be out in 1 hour, got there in 3.5 hours and then didn't have the ability to tow the car, since the battery was dead and they couldn't get into the trunk to get to the towing hook. (They were told the battery was dead before they were dispatched). The second company that Porsche called promised to be out within 2 hours, got there in 30 minutes, had their own spare hooks, and the driver was as professional as they come. To Porsche's credit, I got a personal letter of apology in the mail today from the Customer Service Manager, assuring me that the first towing company has been removed from Porsche's call list.
  • Options
    A piece of advice...

See this thing through with a smile and see what happens. I wonder if there is really a drain "issue" that is inherently a design flaw, as you seem to suggest. I have never heard of it before, and have numbers of friends with the same car, including myself.

It is possible that you left a bit too much debris in there that you should have cleaned out... or, if that is clearly not the case, it is always conceivable that your car has an irregularity or workmanship issue associated with it that is not necesarrily the norm.

But, whatever the outcome, do NOT let yourself be overly affected... in other words, don't over-react. I would certainly hope that you continue to LOVE your beautiful Porsche, even if it requres a little extra TLC now and then.

Truth be told, almost every car has a quirk or small issue nowadays. Do your best to rectify yours, and don't forget... you are the proud owner and driver of a PORSCHE!!! Keep the faith and the appreciation alive!

TagMan
  • Options
    Appreciate the advice and be assured, I am far more excited about getting my new team of 4th grade girls ready for this basketball season than I am concerned about when I get my 911 back.

As for the drain issue, it appears to be real. Both service managers (selling dealer and servicing dealer) were familiar enough with the issue to be able to each accurately descrivbe, blow by blow, what happened as the water seeped in and affected the controller unit. And when I originally bought the car, I asked the sales manager, a former factory engineer, what to look out for or be careful about. Other than the typical break in instructions, the two things he mentioned were (1) do not stop/reverse the convertible top midway as this stresses the motor gears(either open completely or shut completely) and (2) make sure leaves and debris do not build up around the windshield cowl, as the drains can have a tendency to clog. FWIW, he raised and addressed the issue of the infamous RMS leak up front, before I asked, so I tend to trust his expertise and integrity.

I've been very diligent about washing the car at least once every two weeks, often every week. But here in DC, we are in a heavy pollen/seed/leave area and dry leaves and seeds tend to break up into small pieces that may have exacerbated the situation. Fortunately, even though the service indicator did not call for it, I had an early service done last fall at 9,000 miles. And then the regular service 2 months ago at 16,000 miles. That should support this being a warranty issue and not a case of service neglect.

Perhaps where you live, the pollen/leaves/dust situation is less severe. But call your service manager sometime and ask about the cowl drains. I'd be curious as to what he says.

Thanks again and don't worry, I'm not throwing out the baby with the rain water. ;)
  • Options
    Here in California, I have not heard of anyone with the drain problem, but my exposure to other Porsche owners is limited of course, so I will ask the service folks during my next service interval about the issue, and see what they say. I'll let you know what they say when that happens.

I think this series of posts could prove to be helpful for a number of Porsche 911 owners, so that they can be aware of the potential for drain issues associated with the car.

Also, I appreciate the heads-up on the convertible top issue that you referred to... specifically about trying not to stop at midpoint during the opening and closing of the top... suggesting that to do so could cause a problem.

I had visions of the top being stuck in the half-way position and having to drive it that way! LOL!

Anyway, thanks for the valuable information, and I'll follow up with it in the future, and let you know what I find out.

Also, based on your post, I am glad to learn that you clearly have your life's priorities in the right order! ;)

TagMan
  • Options
    cal1948cal1948 Member Posts: 10
    I'm a new 911 owner and your problems caught my attention. Just curious if you know why washing your car wouldn't create a similar problem. My interpretation of what happened to you was that the drain(s) clogged and the rain water backed up to a level that allowed water to seep into the dash area of the car. When I wash my cars the amount of water draining into the cowl area will more than overwhelm the drains, although I haven't washed my 911 yet so I don't know if this is the case with this car. Just wondering if I need to take any precautions when washing.

Thanks,
  • Options
    ringleader6ringleader6 Member Posts: 43
    Thought I would inform you that Porsche does not operate its Roadside Assistance, it is AAA when you call in. The way it is set up, you are not aware you are not dealing with an arm of Porsche, but with a subcontractor. AAA has a slew of providers and you get the luck of the draw.

As for the issue of the shortage of the black box, your service and parts managers can coordinate with the Porsche field service technical representative to have you one in two days if it is escalated for the field tech to make the repair. If not available in two days, he will cannibalize one for you....... Unfortunately, you have to go through this type experience to learn these things.......

You are correct, this is a warranty issue. If you are not satisfied promptly by your dealer, I can give you the correct contact at Porsche USA to get things moving.
  • Options
    Actually, when they called me back, "GE Financial Services", not AAA, pops up on the called ID for Porsche Roadside Assistance/Customer Service. I asked the manager about that and she verified that GE has the contract with Porsche. Which, in my experience, is a lot better than the fools that run AAA and will contract with anybody to tow your car. The towing company that was initially sent out to me has been officially removed from Porsches list and, according to a letter I received, Porsche is re-surveying all 4 area dealerships to confirm the capabilities and appropriateness of each towing company that remain on the list. Seems they are taking this incident seriously.

I will look into the issue of "cannibalizing" a controller unit, and appreciate that suggestion. My car is a 2005 model year, but hopefully there haven't been any changes in the controller unit that one from a 2007/8 wouldn't work.

Any contact referrals that you have had success with would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    ringleader6ringleader6 Member Posts: 43
    Did not see your response until tonite....Guess they have changed from AAA. I do not think any of the manufacturers but GM run their own show. If you were in the Southeast, I could give you the field technical reps cel number. Your service manager or parts manager can provide yours for you. They all are highly trained and experienced service techs, not a pr guy in a suit, carry their own tools, etc. and communicate directly with Germany in a problem like yours for next day delivery.
  • Options
    dbarton7dbarton7 Member Posts: 20
    Hi there.

I am in the market for a used 911 in the $35K range.

Since I was a kid I always wanted one and now I have finally saved up enough cash to take leap but I do not know much about the various models and the pros and cons of each.

I want one that I can drive on weekends and that will give me the least amount of mechanical problems.

Can you please recommends which models I should focus on and the best places to look online for them?

Thanks,
    D
  • Options
    shulseshulse Member Posts: 11
    That is great news, very exciting. I just made the plunge this year and am glad I did. As an accountant, I understand the value of the used market. However, I didn't want to take the fun out of this dream. I bought new, and would recommend that or something within a few model years - currently the 997. All the trim models have subtle differences, other than the turbo. I'd suggest working with your local dealer, drop that investment of $35k into it, and float the balance. Just my idea and suggestion... happy holidays!
  • Options
    thebrewguythebrewguy Member Posts: 5
    Very exciting! As mentioned by another respondent, going new would be a ton of fun. However, if you want to avoid a payment, you should be able to get an excellent example of a 996 for your $35K. For example, I have an `01 Carrera 2 (996) with 59K miles that would fall into that price range (not that I'm selling). The 997 has a few styling changes that many people prefer including round headlights and a separate turn signal on the nose; looks more like the older 911's from the 70's and 80's. The 996's have an integrated lighting cluster. Some would argue that the stance of a 996 isn't as muscular as a 997 (at least not the stock stance) and I'd have to agree. It all comes down to personal taste (and sometime budgets). If you buy from a dealer, try to get a Certified Pre-Owned. That way you'll get at least a 1-year warranty.

Good luck in your pursuit.

Willis
  • Options
    porsche6porsche6 Member Posts: 1
    My windows, my spoiler and my sunroof stoped working at the same time. The car is garaged, never used in bad weather and has extremely low mileage Nothing unusual occured on the day that the systems failed .It does not appear to be a fuse (fuses not blown) although I exchanged one of them. As an aside, these systems are on three seperate fuses. Any suggestions for this apparent electrical malfunction.
  • Options
    tiger762tiger762 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 C2 with 8800 miles on it

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what damage is done by hitting 8000rpm from accidental downshift? Was going about 80 yesterday and meant to downshift from 6th->4th but went to 2nd instead. Let out the clutch and could tell the rpm's were going stratospheric so I put the clutch back down.

I have never hit the rev-limiter intentionally and this was the first time I took it over 7000 and even then, I drive it unaggressively the rest of the time.

Thanks for your input.
  • Options
    spiritintheskyspiritinthesky Member Posts: 207
    Well, the good news is that the car is well broken in with 8,800 miles. And if you just took the engine up to a bit over redline momentarily, probably no harm.

However, FWIW downshifting and causing the revs to jump up to/past redline very quickly is actually harder on an engine than accelerating up to that same engine speed. Not to mention the clutch and transmission, especially if you "popped" the clutch out. I have never been a believer in "engine braking" for that reason, preferring to use the brakes than wear out the clutch and stress the transmission. My orthopedic surgeon who owns a Ferrari likens it to your leg muscles and joints. Most injuries don't occur from smooth, or even hard, acceleration but rather from a sudden change in direction/momentum that puts an extraordinary aount of stress on the joint (or clutch or transmission).
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well the most likely damage would have been bending the valves, which you certainly would have noticed by now. So I'd say you're fine if the car is running well.
  • Options
    chrmdomechrmdome Member Posts: 107
    Sirs:

I hit the revlimiter on an aggressive driving situation. Dealership said not an issue unless you downshift. The Porsche dealership will do a download if you have a warranty issue and the revlimiter issue will show up. There are different stages and Stage One being a none issue ( hitting about 7600 rpm and the rev limiter kicking in ) if it is above that ( which would be caused by a downshift, it will show up as a more serious Stage. Go down and talk to your dealer service department , they explain everything very well, obvbiously a down shift will not allow the engine to disconnect like a gas cut of on an acceleration will, in the correct gear...you just slow down until the rpms are normal range.

Chromedome
  • Options
    Greetings:

I rarely see a Porsche advertisement... I invite everyone to review the January 2008 issue of " Automobile " magazine. The " All Stars 2008, 10 Best Cars" article reviews some great cars, and wouldn't you know it... they gave the most votes to a Porsche ( Boxter/ Cayman ). With the Chevy, Toyota, etc advertisements, maybe they went against the grain to come up with a truthful result ... or am I just biased towards Porsche. Interesting result anyway, and one that I expected as a 997 C2S owner. The Porsche driving experience is more than HP.. as THEY report.

Chromedome
  • Options
    dhnewhousedhnewhouse Member Posts: 1
    I have a old/classic 911 in need of repairs/restoration. Any idea for a reliable shop in Dade/Broward in Florida. Please reply,

dhnewhouse
  • Options
    Greetings:

IMO ( humble as it may be ), My first Porsche was a 1976 914 , 2.0. ( New )Fastest car in 1st and 2nd I ever owned. Then a 1977 911S ( used ) and number of used and new 911's after that . I now own a 2006 C2S. I have 3100 miles on it and love it....however it was EXPENSIVE!. ( $99,945.80 out the door )If I had a down of $35K now, I would go to the local Porsche dealer and look for a 2007 Boxter S, new on the lot. You would probably get a very good deal and it would be a new car under full warranty. I have driven the boxter and now with the upgrade in HP and torque it is a great car. Many car magazine writers tout it as the best in its class ever made. AND !! It's a true Porsche ( not a VW like the 914 ) Some will tell you the 996 has RMS issues, I have a tendacy to believe the 996 has far lower quality materials and build quality than the 997. The 993's are expensive since many look at it as the last true ( air cooled ) 911. I happen to believe the 993 is the " prettiest " or best looking of all Porsches. It's smaller that the 997 and to me is exactly the correct Porsche size. Good Luck! The only porblem I see here is that you will become addicted to Porsche for the rest of your life.....save your bucks and buy the wife something nice too, you'll have to .. to feed your addiction with her okay.

Chromedome..San Diego CA ( Go Chargers ! )
  • Options
    landrover1landrover1 Member Posts: 15
    Does any one know how many 1998 993 C2S were produced? What was the last date that the 993 roled off the line prior to the 996 starting their production. Also can some one expline the vin number meaning to me on a 911
  • Options
    Greetings:

Here in California we have crap for fuel . I have experimented with octane boosters; however , I can say that there was some but little noticable difference. I have recently discovered a local " no-name " gas station that carries Streetblaze 100 ( unleaded ), a street legal 100 octane fuel. This past Saturday I mixed the Streetblaze with 91 octane to a 94 octane mixture. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! Easier starting, smoother idle, faster ( by far ) and more responsive. Have any of you used higher octane fuels than the 91 available in your area. I'm sold. Although the Streetblzae is expensive ( $7-$8 per gallon ) I really fell it's worth every penny
    Thanks for your input..

Chromedome 2006 C2S coupe.
  • Options
    Greetings:

Man..... a new Porsche coming. It took 1 year and a lot of pleading... I have a 2006 C2S Carrara White Coupe with 3800 miles on it and my wife ( God Love HER!! ) is letting me get a new one. The trade off is.,.. New Toyota Land Cruise for her, new living room furniture and a bathroom remodel.. Okay by me!! The issue is WHAT DO I GET..... Please ...everyone put in your 2 cents . I'm in heaven.. PS( I have to sell the BMW so what ! ) I Want a Coupe.. How about the X51... the 6 cd changer is a waste... electric seats okay but not the heated seats. Give me your input please ...2 months to a new one YESSSSSS!!!!!

Chromedome How about the natural brown leather interior?????
  • Options
    madmanmoomadmanmoo Member Posts: 2,039
    I'd suggest getting an '09. Is that the plan? Word is that Direct fuel injection is added, bluetooth and auxiliary inputs AND DSG is going to be available. (among other things)

What's your VIN number on your current vehicle, Chrome? I can check the current specs on the vehicle that you have and then maybe give you some ideas for the next vehicle.

Toss out some ideas of your own so I have something to work with. You want to stick with the S?

-moo
  • Options
    Greetings:

Looks like I have some research to do.....my Vin is WPOAB29976S740895. The vin decoders available on line though won't show options on my vehicle. Living in California , I've found the headed seats to be a waste and also the 6 CD changer of little use . Electric seats..okay, self dimming mirrors...useless. I don't know about the 09 MY. I'm going down to the Porsche dealer this weekend and see if I can crack a deal. It's a question of them having a build slot for an "S". Last time I talked to them ( 1 month ago ) they were getting VERY VERY few "S" coupes in, mostly S cabs, cabs ,targas and 4S's. This process should take me a while to get it right.

Chromedome
  • Options
    Something is wrong with the VIN. Btw, I'm not using the online decoder. I'm using Porsche's internal system.

-moo
  • Options
    Yes:

Here it is right off the registration.
    WPOAB9976S740895

06MY C2SCarrara White coupe, carrera classic 19" wheels, center painted, sand beige full leather, sport leather wrapped multifunction steering wheel, self dimming mirrors, 6CD changer Bose system, insignia deleted,

Chromedome">
  • Options
    3rd digit was 0 not O. I finally got it.

BSEMDL BASE Porsche Base Model 81,400.00
    TOPCLR B4 Carrara White Top .00
    INTERI TG Sand Beige Full Leather 3,365.00
    OPTION P15 Power Seat Package 1,550.00
    OPTION 680 Bose Surround Sound System 1,390.00
    OPTION 446 Wheel Caps with Colored Crest 185.00
    OPTION 267 Self Dimming Mirrors 385.00
    OPTION 342 Heated Front Seats 480.00
    OPTION 405 19" Carrera Classic Wheel 390.00
    OPTION 431 3-Spoke Str Whl Multifctn lthr 740.00
    OPTION 498 Delete Model Designation .00
    OPTION 692 Remote CD Changer 650.00
    OPTION M6N Sand Beige Floor Mats 115.00
    BDYCLR B4 Carrara White .00

I don't see anything crazy on the vehicle. Does the Direct Fuel injection, bluetooth, dsg, tempt you at all? If not, then an '08 wouldn't be a bad idea.

My personal opinion on colors. If you went with the White exterior again, I think the Cocoa interior is phenomenal. Maybe some deviated white stitching throughout? How about adding the Sport/Chrono package and Sports exhaust. I love those two options. Drop the 6CD and heated seats as you mentioned and pick up some other goodies.

Thoughts?

-moo
  • Options
    Greetings:

I'll probably do the exhaust, maybe the X51 package and yes maybe an 08MY. I'm going to go down and see a Carrera Red with the natural brown interior...I like that combo. This time around I want to stay functional, ......manual trans, less bling???

DSG, no Blue tooth no, I don't even like listening to the stero while driving..I want to hear the car. Mercury was working on direct fuel injection with their outboard motors and if I'm not mistaken they had problems with the pressures necessary to make the system function..a little unproven for me, fewer systems, fewer failures. Mercury finally dumped the system.">

Chromedome
  • Options
    Guard's Red or Ruby Red Metallic? The Carrera Red is an interior color.

Here's my opinion. If you would be looking for less bling, then don't go with an exterior like Red. If you're going to be getting the X51 (not cheap at $16,900) then this is going to be one fast mother. Get the sport look on it as well. Man, I'm just drooling thinking about a Carrara White on Cocoa, sports seats with painted seat backs and deviated stitching.

I don't know why, but Guard's Red and Natural Brown seem to be cruiser colors to me. The Ruby Red Metallic is a phenomenal exterior color as well.

Regardless of which route you go, half the fun is building the vehicle.

-moo
  • Options
    marinedocmarinedoc Member Posts: 8
    It seems that 3800 miles on an '06 is not very many miles. I'm on my sixth Porsche, and have driven all of them as everyday cars, now having a C4S '04 with 31,000 miles. I have a Ford Explorer for those St. Louis days with snow and sleet, but driving the car to work is the only incentive for hauling my tired butt out of bed most mornings. Good luck with the new car, but drive the mother. Doc
  • Options
    trometrome Member Posts: 17
    I have used Scott Finlay Motorsports in South Miami for all my 911's over the last 15 yrs. I would trust absolutely no one else to work on my car. For body work I would use Stoner Bros. , also in S. Miami.