Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Porsche 911

Comments

• bsissibsissi Posts: 14
    Any words of wisdom regarding swapping out the factory system for better sounding, better perfomance systems. Some manufacturers provide sound clips on their websites but I'm interested in feedback from users, especially about Speedtech muflers if there are users out there.
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Posts: 422
    I swapped out factory for AWE mufflers on my 997 - fantastic. As they broke in, they got deeper...going to install an AWE crossover shortly. I'm very pleased.
    Z
  • etsiapetsiap Posts: 2
    1988 911 Targa Battery Drain

1) Replace dead battery.
    2) New battery died within a few weeks.
    3) Took Targa to the shop (mechanic has 30 years experience fixing Porsches).
    4) Mechanic replace alternator, battery and connecting cable. Also added an on/off switch to the battery for long parking periods. Over 1G in repair cost.
    5) Drove car 80 miles, dead battery, no start.
    6) Took car back to mechanic, he reported that there was a bad cell in the Interstate battery. Replaced battery.
    7) Drove car ~ 80 miles and noticed that my head lights and dash lights were weak. Once home, I took a closer look and the lights were copper colored, tried to restart, battery dead.
    8) I am taking the car into the mechanic for the third time today.

Please advise - thank you.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,967
    No malice intended, but I am not impressed with how your mechanic approached this problem. There are methods and even tools to track down dead shorts and battery drains. Seems to me all he did was treat the symptoms and neglected the disease. "shotgun" mechanics. Keep blasting until you hit something.

If you are in the San Francisco Bay Area, I can refer you to a shop who can fix this.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• The 1995-1998 911's have that 15" passenger side wiper blade which is fine until you try to upgrade to the newer-style, frameless beam blades. 15" beam blades virtually don't exist and 14" are difficult to find. The only option I've found is the 'Trico NeoForm Beam Blade' which comes in 14" (OE are 15" but you won't notice the 1/2" difference on each end). They also have the 18" for the drivers side. Can get them online.
  • gentogento Posts: 1
    I am new so wanted to see if someone can refer a reliable extended Warranty for my
    2002 C4 Cab, its in Ex Cond

Thanks,

Gento
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 979
    Hi, Gento,

You probably want to ask your question in the Extended Warranty forum. Just click the link to get there.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Hello Everyone,

Had a Infiniti FX45 but finally traded up to a new 2008 C4S . Just got lucky! Found this Porsche in the showroom of a Porsche dealer 40 miles away from my local dealer. It had only 65 original miles on it . Showroom condition but somehow it never sold. Must have come in late in 2008 and the 2009's were getting in the showroom so no one bought it.

Had them change the oil immediately since it has been sitting on the showroom floor for more than a year . Porsche recommends you change the oil with in so many miles but no longer then a year.

Has a lot of options on it . Upgrade stereo, Porsche crest on headrest, full leather, navigation, etc. Dealer gave me their cost on putting "Clear Bra". $50.00 cheaper then if I would have had it done by the vendor ( priced prior to going into the dealership ) . Just to let everyone know, dealer mark up was about $200.00 more then what the vendor was going to charge me !

This car feels like it is made from a block of steel ! Solid and no problems ! Fast and smooth ! We'll keep everyone posted on how the quality is on the C4S.
    So far I'm living the dream ! 524 miles and counting .... can't wait to pass 2000 miles and letting the 355 horses out to run !

Original MSRP was $102,000 but got it for much less :shades: .
  • baldeglbaldegl Posts: 16
    Welcome to the club. Got a 2009 S cabrio with 1500 miles in a similar way. Love the new pdk.
  • Thank you ! Congrats to you also on your 2009 S Cabrio ! PDK is the way to go ! Only read good things about it and love the LED's ! Porsche really listened and made a perfect car even better !
  • jmohsinjmohsin Posts: 4
    Hello,

I've recently come across a '99 Porsche 911 for sale, Beautiful car, clean car fax, no accidents and full service history. There are a few blemishes here and there but the card has almost 130k miles on it.

It's selling for around $20k and as much as I love the car, I'm struggling with how much longer the car will last. I live very close to a Porsche dealership and max do around 10k miles a year driving. This would be a second car so I couldn't imagine running it that much.

Wanted to see if anyone had any info on how long a 911 would typically last.

Thanks!
    Given just the info we have here, I"d be inclined to say "no" for a number of reasons.

My personal opinion is that the car is overpriced, and being a 996 and not a 993, I don't feel this engine type has demonstrated the degree of ultra-longevity that the 993 aircooled engine has demonstrated. Also early 996s were troublesome at times, and the fact that Porsche itself uses a 993 basic engine case to power their most exotic examples used for racing, etc, Id be inclined to say 130K is closer to the end of the engine's life rather than its middle, as would be with the 993.

• chibachiba Posts: 6
    i tend to agree with 1st responder.

this is early yr of the 996 series which were somewhat prone to main seal failures so for certain you would want to see that has received correct repair.

clean carfax is not a gtee that the car has not been damaged (and repaired outside of an insurance claim or accident report....so do not rely on that too heavily.

whether service records are in hand ( certainly a good sign) or not - when considering purchase of any porsche because repair costs can be high (unless you are a diy type) - its wise to have an independent pre purchase inspection done by a pro shop (not necessarily a porsch dealer, but by a mechanic that specializes in porsche repairs).

the p.p.i, should include leakdown & compression tests, isolate any oil leakage issues, and signs of any under chassis problems, state of suspension, etc.

if a seller refuses to allow an independent p.p.i., i would walk away.
    if the inspection comes out well - it will provide more confidence in the buy decision, if it identifies problems it will allow you to determine a repair budget and approx timing of those repairs and perhaps negotiate price reduction.

and per 1st responders comments - the 2 prior series (aircooled 993 & 964's) while not without problems have demonstrated rock solid build quality - both chassis wise and engine wise. in the hands of a capable mechanic they are simpler to fix/cheaper to maintain than 996 series.

good luck
    Possibly the only "advantage" of a 996 is that you can still order crate engines for them I believe, which is often cheaper than rebuilding one.

You have to be careful when you buy any high mileage used Porsche, because an engine rebuild can nearly total the car, or close to it. A 996 rebuild could cost you $15,000 and I don't think an early high mileage 996 is worth any more than that.

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,120
    So... my local Porsche dealer has a 2001 coupe... Pretty much a base 911... 75K miles..

Asking $27K...

Is that an inherently scary model? Would you just stay away from something like that, period?

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• chibachiba Posts: 6
    i think all porsche owners have strong views of the individual series that were produced under the 911 banner (997, 996, 992, 964, etc).
    there are some specific issues with the 996 series that includes 2001 911's that potential owners should be aware of.
    good starting point is to order up the back issue of Excellence Magazine (issue #176) for Sept.2009 (i think you can order it online). they did a full overview of the 996 and 997 series (ie 1999 to current). it included market surveys (pricing and "what to look for/consider").
    there are also other technical porsche forums, good idea to register and ask specific questions, or you might find a better value car from a forum lisitng.

in any event for a used porsche - my opinion, 1) before you buy arm yourself with all the information you can about the series, what to look for and how much you can expect to spend on maintenance 2)don't rush (especially with the 996 series, there are lots around and the prices are coming down and there are always better deals! 3) make any deal subject to INDEPENDENT p.p.i. by a proshop, which you will have to pay for & don't set a price (or make the price subject to) results of the p.p.i.
    My friends for instance, own a Porsche repair shop (also Audi and MINI) and I've seen their pre-sale inspection regimen, and it's impressive. It includes cylinder leakdown test, wheels off, inspection of chassis, operation of all equipment and of course, their own invaluable knowledge of each car/model year's potential weaknesses. On my MINI for instance, before I bought it, they already knew to look for deformation in the strut towers, fragile cooling fan guard, and weak upper engine strut. How could I have know to look for and correct these small but important deficiencies? $450 bucks to inspect and correct the problems, and now I have what I believe is a very good used car.

PS: I had to do this inspection 3 times ($150 a pop) with them and an additional 4 on my own.

Expensive? Not really---not as expensive as one major repair on a bad used car.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,993
    I don't know much about 911s (except they are awesome & I really, really want one. I can tell you from personal experience not to be penny wise & pound foolish. While $27K may seem like a fantastic price for a not too old 911, for maybe $10K more you can get a newer & much nicer 911 with less miles that migt give you a lit less headaches in the long run. So if you buy a $27K 911 that ends up needing $5000 worth of work in the not too distant future, then spending $40K on a better 911 isn't that much further of a stretch.

As you know, I purchased a 1990 E30 325iA for $950 (without any kind of PPI) back in April of 2008. I ended up pouring another $3K worth of work into it and the car still needed more work. Thankfully I was bailed out by Uncle Sam & was able to trade the car in during the cash 4 clunkers program. I really would have been better off buying a $5000 E30 in near perfect shape that needed no work. Instead I jumped at the first thing I saw because it was cheap.

Good luck!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• shulseshulse Posts: 11
    That's a good deal. Not great, but here's what I'm thinking. The 996 has a stable drivetrain, that car has has about 8500mi/yr, but keep in mind the design is good for about 240-250k. Tires alone are 2k. One consideration is sun damage - that's a 9 year old car. Mechanically it should be okay, and for 27k, it's 67% lower than a new model. I would almost Section 179 that sort of purchase!

One last thing, I drive a base 997, and have never felt underpowered or off on turns, my only recc'd is going with a manual transmission.

Happy driving!
    edited March 2010
    ..to be forthcoming... I've owned a 911... I bought an '84 in 1990.... 52K.. paid $20K even for it... Kept it for four years, and sold it for $16.5K, with 73K miles...

But, I was single, didn't know what I didn't know... and, got relatively lucky (new tires, clutch/flywheel job, re-skinned/re-lined the targa top, new rear targa seal.)

Not bad? Almost $3K for those items... Granted, I loved the car, and for four years, it was tolerable.... But, other than the clutch, not one single mechanical issue... If I had real problems, it could have killed me..

What happened? Marriage and fatherhood... .that car went away just 8 days after my son was born..

I understand about buying the newest, lowest mileage Porsche that you can afford, but I can't stretch into the $30Ks.... Already have one car that resides in that price range, and can't handle two.. If I wanted a convertible, a Boxster would be great, but I really want a coupe... Caymans haven't been out long enough to get under $30K.. (also, no bias for 911s over Caymans... I think the Cayman is actually a better sports car). And.. manual transmission is a given.. :)

Just wondering if the 996 is a car to stay away from, no matter what...

Interestingly enough... also considering a new MINI... nice incentives on them, right now..

regards,
    kyfdx

I know you used to own a 911 & have wanted another for a long time my friend. I'll agree that a Cayman (I'd take either one too) is a better sports car overall, but I'm sure there's nothing like owning a 911. To me the 911 is an attainable supercar. Unless I win the lottery, I'm not going to be able to buy a Ferrari or Lamborghini. A 911 - that's definitely going to fall into my price range one day.

What else do you have? I thought you guys have a CRV & an Imprezza? :confuse: I saw you said something on the "Sales Frontline Board" about flying somewhere to pickup a car... what'd you get?

My wife leases an X3... the flying to pickup a car story was from 2003.. ;)

That's right - I totally forgot you got that smokin deal on the X3. A Demo that you got new car lease rates on right? Now it is all coming back to me.

• fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    I'm jealous.

I would really like to get a 911 too, but I'm not ready/able to fit one into my life just yet.

That being said, I personally would get a 993 or a 997 (or a Cayman). Other than price, I don't like anything about the 996. I think there's a reason why they're so cheap...
    I'd go for a 993 myself. I just bought a MINI S, (used) and it's wayyyy fun. Tight, solid and the whine of the supercharger---ah----it *feels* German, certainly not British.

I like my cars just a bit "rude" and the 993 has a certain....um.....edge to it that was smoothed out in the 996. Hey, to each his own....some may find the 993 lacking int he 996s refinements.

Just curious as to why you're hung up on a Coupe (911 or Cayman). I'm sure you can get a very sweet Boxster S for what you're looking to spend. If the winter time scares you, then get a body colored hard top.

a quick search for Caymans with manual transmission within 200 miles of my zip code. I found 2 '07 Caymans with 41,000 miles listed at $32,995 - you can easily get that to fit in your price range. Keep looking! You'll find your perfect Porsche.

Boxster S is a brilliant car. It's not quite the dominant force that a 911 is, but it's pretty darn nice. It's a little too polite for my tastes, but that's my problem, not the car's. Certainly it's as fast as one might wish to go on public roads.

I've had Targas and convertibles.. just not interested in the trade-offs, any more..

Only interested in coupes... But, I'm not dying for a Porsche... I really like the Cayman, but I do have some other priorities.. ;)

Plus.. it's not like I haven't done it... the 911 was my dream car, and I bought one when I was 32... not bad.. :)

You had a 911 @ 32? Good for you. I'm going to be 34 in a few weeks and I'm a long way away from owning a 911. I recently sold my condo after a year and 9 months on the market. The amount of money I lost is almost equal to about the cost of a 911 C2. If 6 years ago I took the money (prettymuch every penny I saved since I was 13)I used as a down payment on my condo & used it towards a down payment on a 911, today I'd still own a 911 (free & clear) and be able to sell it and still have money in my pocket. I don't want to wait until I'm in my 60's to buy a 911, but I'm about to pretty much liquidate everything to buy a house + will have to do some rennovations over the years + I've got a wife & 2 kids to think about... So much for the 911 for now.