Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Porsche 911

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,410
    I know you used to own a 911 & have wanted another for a long time my friend. I'll agree that a Cayman (I'd take either one too) is a better sports car overall, but I'm sure there's nothing like owning a 911. To me the 911 is an attainable supercar. Unless I win the lottery, I'm not going to be able to buy a Ferrari or Lamborghini. A 911 - that's definitely going to fall into my price range one day.

What else do you have? I thought you guys have a CRV & an Imprezza? :confuse: I saw you said something on the "Sales Frontline Board" about flying somewhere to pickup a car... what'd you get?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    My wife leases an X3... the flying to pickup a car story was from 2003.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

That's right - I totally forgot you got that smokin deal on the X3. A Demo that you got new car lease rates on right? Now it is all coming back to me.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I'm jealous.

I would really like to get a 911 too, but I'm not ready/able to fit one into my life just yet.

That being said, I personally would get a 993 or a 997 (or a Cayman). Other than price, I don't like anything about the 996. I think there's a reason why they're so cheap...
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'd go for a 993 myself. I just bought a MINI S, (used) and it's wayyyy fun. Tight, solid and the whine of the supercharger---ah----it *feels* German, certainly not British.

I like my cars just a bit "rude" and the 993 has a certain....um.....edge to it that was smoothed out in the 996. Hey, to each his own....some may find the 993 lacking int he 996s refinements.
    Just curious as to why you're hung up on a Coupe (911 or Cayman). I'm sure you can get a very sweet Boxster S for what you're looking to spend. If the winter time scares you, then get a body colored hard top.

a quick search for Caymans with manual transmission within 200 miles of my zip code. I found 2 '07 Caymans with 41,000 miles listed at $32,995 - you can easily get that to fit in your price range. Keep looking! You'll find your perfect Porsche.

Boxster S is a brilliant car. It's not quite the dominant force that a 911 is, but it's pretty darn nice. It's a little too polite for my tastes, but that's my problem, not the car's. Certainly it's as fast as one might wish to go on public roads.
    I've had Targas and convertibles.. just not interested in the trade-offs, any more..

Only interested in coupes... But, I'm not dying for a Porsche... I really like the Cayman, but I do have some other priorities.. ;)

Plus.. it's not like I haven't done it... the 911 was my dream car, and I bought one when I was 32... not bad.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

You had a 911 @ 32? Good for you. I'm going to be 34 in a few weeks and I'm a long way away from owning a 911. I recently sold my condo after a year and 9 months on the market. The amount of money I lost is almost equal to about the cost of a 911 C2. If 6 years ago I took the money (prettymuch every penny I saved since I was 13)I used as a down payment on my condo & used it towards a down payment on a 911, today I'd still own a 911 (free & clear) and be able to sell it and still have money in my pocket. I don't want to wait until I'm in my 60's to buy a 911, but I'm about to pretty much liquidate everything to buy a house + will have to do some rennovations over the years + I've got a wife & 2 kids to think about... So much for the 911 for now.

Yeah.. 32.. single.. no kids..

Of course, within 8 months of getting it, met my wife.. all downhill from there... lol...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

911....marriage.....911.........marriage....man, this is tough to figure... :shades:

As my dearly departed friend John the Total Gearhead used to say:

"Love dies but possessions are forever"....LOL!

(He owned over 40 cars).
    Shoot.. I could get the wife to go for it..

But... the boy just turned 16, so I'm going to have 3rd vehicle expenses, including INSURANCE.. and, then... college expenses coming up in two years..

Oh yeah... as far as getting a 993? Have you seen the asking prices for those? Maybe the greatest 911, ever... but, it's just nuts.. Basically, a collector car, now.. If I get a 996, I could use it as my daily driver.. It's a pretty long model run... is there a year when they get better? (1997-2005).

I'm probably not going to end up with the Porsche... too many variables, as far as maintenance/repair costs... but, it's nice to think about..

They've got $1750 incentives on new MINIs, right now.. hmmmm

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• chibachiba Member Posts: 6
    your quote:
    "Oh yeah... as far as getting a 993? Have you seen the asking prices for those? Maybe the greatest 911, ever... but, it's just nuts.. Basically, a collector car, now.. If I get a 996, I could use it as my daily driver.. It's a pretty long model run... is there a year when they get better? (1997-2005).

I'm probably not going to end up with the Porsche... too many variables, as far as maintenance/repair costs... but, it's nice to think about.."

the 993 series ended in 1998....for 996's generally most reviewers would recommend later model yrs, or independent review to confirm that main seal issues were addressed. an (independent) p.p.i. is needed in all cases.

993 prices are high (as are the 964's which have basically same power train, and 5sp trans...but for many of us are preferable because of body style). BUT you are correct whatever the series Porsche ownership is expensive (even if you are a DIY type parts costs can be very high)...so best not to stretch the budget but wait for a moment in time when it best fits....and in the meantime spend some time and determine the model/series which you would target.
  • bayareafx45bayareafx45 Member Posts: 19
    Took my C4S up to the City of Tiburon (North of San Francisco) . Drove on hwy 280 and hwy 101. Crossed the Golden Gate Bridge . Perfect weather ! C4S was just a blast to drive . Solid and quick (even though I could only rev up to 4000 rpms) . Handled the curves and hills of hwy 101 in Marin County like it was on rails. 1100 mile left for break in period is over ! Then the real fun begins !

Not a single problem so far and a lot of fun to drive ! Note : Had a young boy yell out of his father's Audi Q7 on 19th ave. , saying " Cool Car ! " . If you are thinking of buying one ... do it ! Haven't been disappointed at all ! :shades:
    Sad to report a problem with my C4S .... CD player now has started having a clicking sound when playing the CD's. Sounds like a scratch from the old LP days. AM/FM radio is fine as well as the Nav. , so I know it must be the CD player. Taking it in for service to get it repaired. Under warrantee so I'm not worried !

Hope this is it ! Rest of the car is super ! Solid and fast !
  • birdtripbirdtrip Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2010
    First great forum, and thank you everyone in advance for any help. OK so last July, I purchased a 2006 Porsche pre owned certified Carrera S Tiptroninic with power boosted brake system with ceramic brake disc 12.99 inch diameter. 19 inch wheels light alloy. Has PASM; ABS; PSM; ABD; ASR, full navigation system, power seats, full CD changer, heated seats and a few other extras that came with the car when new. It had one owner and was a leased vehicle. Came with 36,000 miles.

I paid $51,500 for it from a dealership June 2009, which after reading a few things from experts on here, seems OK but for one thing. My concern is they could not produce the service records, and a few people have mentioned that as a potential warning sign. The dealership bought it at an auction.

Since it was the dealership and it had the pre owned certified coverage as well as a clean car fax, I figured no mtn. records was not a huge deal. So I didn't take it to any other garages, as after I drove it, was so floored, and to pay that for a car that the car fax reported to cost over 100G new with its extras...well I just figured that price was fair as they were asking 54,000. Here on this site and one other, kelley actually said 65, the car was worth 60 G at least.

Did I make a mistake not taking it to an independent garage to check it?
    Should I take it to another garage or Porsche dealer in the area to get it serviced for it's yearly oil change and check this summer? They had done the 40,000 check which was the final selling point.

Bottom line, if there are any issues how long before something shows in a 997? I know some of the 996's owners have horrible reviews, but even those are rare.
    So far it's been great but I've only put 6 G miles on it since the sale. Thanks for any help or advice.
  • buylowbuylow Member Posts: 41
    I don't see what you're worried about since it's a certified car with extended warranty. Service records are nice to have especially on something like an early 911 (1966 to 1973), but you usually don't get them. When people buy a newer car they're not thinking that records might be nice to go with the car 40 years from now. Ask your dealer to print out what they have on the car. I bought my 2006 911 coup exactly two years ago. The coverage goes to 2012. No problems. Great car. Has the 19" wheels, and the carrera GT silver color which is a $3,000 + extra. No nav. Six speed manual. Leather seats. Paid $65,000, plus tax with 13,000 miles. Love the car. Can't even think of selling it. If I buy a newer Porsche, I will probably keep this one, too. They depreciate so damn much, why sell them. I want a 72 911 coup that appreciates every year - leaf green, tangerine, or signal orange would be nice.
  • zervszervs Member Posts: 5
    Looking at a 2000 911 Carrera coupe with low miles (14K). Dealer priced at 39K. Most pricing references such as Edmunds and kbb top out at 25K even if you plug in options and "outstanding" condition, which is a little generous. Car is not listed as "certified." What gives?
  • baldeglbaldegl Member Posts: 16
    Sounds way too expensive. In the Chicago area that kind of dollars gets a 3 or 4 year newer car. Suspect that Porsche will not certify a 10 year old car.
    What gives is that the dealer is crazy.

He thinks that the extra low miles are worth some kind of gold. I priced out 120 ads for year 2000 911s, all types, all mileages, and the average asking price was $27,000. So given the possibility of a 5 to 10% "give " on asking prices, the price guides seem dead on.

You could even buy a 2000 Carrera 4 cabriolet with 14,000 for around $30K.

Laugh as you drive by the dealership and wave.
    no need for any porsche dealer to certify. price for early series 996 on the high side, but guess this exceptionally high price tag based on low mileage. Whether you purchase from a dealer or not you would want to have an INDEPENDENT p.p.i. done including leakdown test.
    the 996 series - especially early yrs like the one you are looking at are prone to main seal failures and you would want to make sure the car has been "fixed" considering its not been driven much imo,
    edited April 2010
    Thanks Buylow; yah my coverage goes to end of 2011. the car is sick; only reason I would want records is just to have em', piece of mind. I worry too much, but I guess I don't worry all the time or I would not have been buying a Porsche in 2009 when they were talking about the world imploding. :<)

Bottom line for the price, you can't even put a dollar value on these cars in terms of enjoyability.

Thanks again, and I like your color choices; all my cars are always black. I need to brighten up:<)

Isn't the Carrera GT like 300 at least brand new or is that the GT3? quite the deal u got there bro at 65G 3 years old, man you want to run my business :<). I love my 19 inchers too, they handle better than an NBA 1 guard. Not to jinx it, but other people have told me 2006 was a great year for 911's of all types. I doubt I'll ever sell mine just maybe hand it down to a younger family member. If I am lucky to make 50-7 more years-I will go turbo as that has always been my dream the 911 turbo, but having the 997 I thank the big electron every day.

PS I have the Nav. system, and I love it, but this is my every day car save for snow days when I use our other car-2000Audi. Hope I didn't make too many of you old schoolers cringe, but I love the creature comforts as my car is loaded, and for a Porsche; a child could drive it. Shifting on the steering wheel is sacreligious to some on here, but I love it.
    I think a Carrera GT was more like $600K..

911 GT3 is about $115K + options..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• midlo00midlo00 Member Posts: 1
    Yes, I own this vehicle and do not waste your money for the warranty.
  • dhsieh9dhsieh9 Member Posts: 44
    Last week, I took my Carrera to a local Porsche specialty shop for 60k miles service. According to their $850 quote with replacement parts including brake fluid, Mobil one oil, windshield washer fluid, spark plugs, poly rib belt, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, pollen filter, and misc. seal rings plus 25 lines checklist. I was pretty happy that the total outdoor price was $950 due to a few additional items that the mechanic recommends to replace. I remember that my previous 1999 Lexus RX-300 cost me more than $1200 for 60k miles service at the local Lexus dealer. I guess owning a reliable year-model Porsche is really a pleasant experience when it comes to service. Of course, I can't foretell how much I will have pay moving forward though. I hope that my 2008 Cayman S can do the same as my Carrera when it reaches 60k miles.
    I'm pretty sure the Carrera GT sold for around $430,000 new. Mr Shiftright would know. I believe one could be had for around $330,000 now. I saw one at the dealer last year getting a new clutch for the tune of $50,000 and this was the guys second clutch. Very small clutch, actually three disks in a row - smaller diameter makes for a lower center of gravity and three disks makes for more surface space, pretty neat stuff.

Am I reading your message correctly. You have paddle shifters? I thought they were only recently available with the PDK. Enjoy what you like. These guys that will only drive air cooled cars don't know what they are missing. I have the old -356, 912 , 911sc, and the new. Each generation has its own personality. You can't get it all in one car. A guy that only drives a 997 is going to laugh the first time he drives an early 911, but if you know how to drive an early 911, they can be so much fun, but a different kind of fun than driving a 997. I'm sure there's a better way of putting it. The cars are amazing. They came from racing so they are very well built which is nice when you buy the older ones because you're not getting a bucket of bolts. Have fun.
    You have paddle shifters?

I apologize, as I don't know what you mean exactly when you refer to paddle shifters. I can shift using buttons on my steering wheel. A lot of folks on here who obviously know much more than me rag on the Tiptronic, but I am amazed at how well it works. From what I have read, that must be why they are so friendly at point of sale with the tip 997's. Christ I am just happy that part of every day, save snow, I have the pleasure of this amazing vehicle. And no matter what the old schoolers say, to be able to shift without stepping on a clutch, and shifting a stick, but by just pressing a button seems amazing. On smaller streets at slower speeds, sometimes it's nice to not have the car in its highest gear, as long as you don't over rev it. Still, I usually just throw it in drive, and lean back to everything from Beethoven to the Beatles. It makes it a LOT easier when one is tired and the wife asks you to go do her a favor; a lot easier. To me, a Celtics fan, it's like comparing Cousy to Rondo, when old schoolers talk about the old Porsches vs. the new. Granted Larry legend was my era but I digress.

The guy who sold me my car was a race car driver when he was younger, and even though talking up the car is his job, even he seemed pretty amazed at what the new Porsches can do. No The Tip is obviously not a PDK, but for me it's great-knock on wood. That said, I'd love to drive the new PDK as I hear they are equal to or even better than an old school standard. Whatever different strokes for different folks. We are all very lucky to enjoy these magical innovations. I wonder how long until they fly? Still even then, there will be folks who say the 993's are better :)
  • wamswams Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Boxster. The tip tonic transmission was rebuilt. After driving it for only 66 miles, the tip tonic decided on its downshift from 5th to 4th and the speed went down from 70 mph to 50 mph. I pulled over to the side and waited for 5 minutes and decided to get back on the road. When I went up to 60 mph, a high pitch whining noise, followed by a boom noise and black smoke trail. Immediately, I pulled over to the side and saw a whole lot of fluid gush out. I had the car towed to a nearby garage/shop and had it hoisted. The mechanic took off the cover and found that the differential on the right side (looking from the back side) had a hole. That was the boom I heard. The fluid color was like light barley color. I thought that the tip tonic fluid per Porsche spec, is supposed to be light pink (fresh/new) and over the time, the color changed to darker. Can someone please tell me if wrong type of tip tonic fluid was used or the differential is totally separate from the tip tonic and has its own fluid? Many thanks in advance.
    Oh, what a drag. Too bad!

No, the transaxle fluid is SAE 75w/90.

I'm not sure what the relation of the accidental downshifting was to the transaxle bursting. Here's a theory-----Probably the differential was seizing up, putting a drag on the engine, causing a downshift (as if you were going up a hill).

Maybe you can scare up a used differential. It's not so hard to R&R the diff.
  • ghussghuss Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    Greetings people,

I am planning on trading in my 2008 Careera S with a 2010. Would anyone know when the current model will be changed or replaced with a new shell?
    I don't think anyone knows when the next generation will come out, although, I do not follow the magazines and internet sites very closely. Our local Porsche dealer did not know. His best guess was a couple of years.
  • etsiapetsiap Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your reply - the end of this story came about when the mechanic removed the alternator and replaced the alternator to battery connection. He said it looked corroded. It works now.

1988 911 Targa Battery Drain

1) Replace dead battery.
    2) New battery died within a few weeks.
    3) Took Targa to the shop (mechanic has 30 years experience fixing Porsches).
    4) Mechanic replace alternator, battery and connecting cable. Also added an on/off switch to the battery for long parking periods. Over 1G in repair cost.
    5) Drove car 80 miles, dead battery, no start.
    6) Took car back to mechanic, he reported that there was a bad cell in the Interstate battery. Replaced battery.
    7) Drove car ~ 80 miles and noticed that my head lights and dash lights were weak. Once home, I took a closer look and the lights were copper colored, tried to re-start, battery dead.
    8) I am taking the car into the mechanic for the third time today.
  • wrealmanwrealman Member Posts: 1
    What would you recommend for 928 specialists in S.F. bay area? Thanks.
  • bigdog43bigdog43 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at some 1999-2000 911 Porsche's some are around 80-100k miles Should that scare me or what do I look for? Any help apprecate. New to Porsche
    these cars (especially early water cooled 996 series) were prone to main seal failures and both can be expensive to maintain/repair.
    any purchase should be subject to an extensive p.p.i. completed by an independent porsche mechanic.
    the test should include a properly completed leakdown test on all cylinders (if you don't know what that is google it along with compression test)identification of any fluid leakage/extent thereof among other things.
    buying a car privately from a caring owner who has maintained maintenance history
    will likely be cheaper & better than purchasing from a dealer.
    good luck (964 WTL cab)
    I figured he missed something. I got real worried when I heard about the on/off switch being added. This suggests a lack of confidence (to me). A Battery Tender is a much more elegant solution.
    Yes, the *only* place that knows 928s inside and out in Norcal is, in my opinion, Hi-Tec Automotive in San Rafael CA. 415 258-9619. Speak to Brad and tell him Joe sent you. The owner's name is Deven and he will sit down with you and discuss where to go with your car. They have all the special tools and diagnostics.
    I agree, early 996s need a thorough inspection. High mileage is not a worry on a Porsche 911 as a general rule, but early manufacturing errors might be. On the other hand, if the early 996 has never had the problem, then it probably never will have it.

Nonetheless it is not a co-incidence that when Porsche goes racing, they convert a 993 engine case to water-cooling and build that up to a racing engine.
    thanks Yes this is from a owner. actually trying to trade him my Corvette. I was looking alot at Boxster's,but the 911 996 is nice . So I asked the gentleman if seal was done, but he has only owned the car 3+ years less then 4 so not sure. Thanks again
    Well chances are that if the seal problem hasn't popped up, then it's okay. But an inspection is mandatory, because in many cases the "fix" for this seal problem is not a seal, but an entire engine.
    I know I am old,but why does it seem the newer cars have such crazy problems like seal leaks, water leaks . Something that our technology these days should be able to make seals both in motors and body panels that will NOT leak. Guess not. I read an article from a UK chap with alot of experance in Porsche not to worry about alittle mileage. That'was good, but still worried about the RMS. Would a Porsche dealer be able to use the VIN and see if the RMS was addressed. Do the leak more cold or warmed up? thanks for the help.. Mike
    edited April 2010
    Well it wasn't the seal per se, but the basic engine design that allowed the crank to move too much---is my understanding. A machining problem on certain blocks coupled with engine design issues.

Yeah a dealer should have a record of such repairs. Not all engines had the problem and some had it in such a minor way as to leave it alone.

Again, I'm not aware of any real "cure" other than engine replacement.
  • cap9cap9 Member Posts: 3
    You seem like you know about the car- what was the original price of this 2003 911?

link title
  • atlantajuiceatlantajuice Member Posts: 1
    I am seeking a 2009 911 S Cab with less than 8000 miles. White or black. please let me know if you know where i can find this car. Thanks
  • decisions1decisions1 Member Posts: 17
    edited May 2010
    Anyone please: Unbelievably, 6 months ago, coffee spilled exactly and all over the audio display (dripping behind it too) of my C4S. The radio and cd work fine, and I'd already memorized the station settings etc., but the display is basically blank all the time with intermittant fuzzy lines, and very infrequent clear resolution lasting about 15 seconds max. I'm assuming the liquid has completely screwed up the visual of the display.

Is there anyway I can examine the extent of the problem myself, or is it really a dealer-only task? How much to repair do you think? Could hardly be more annoyed by this. :mad: Thanks!
    Yeah, this happens to computer laptops as well. The liquid quickly corrodes in there and shorts everything out. At best, you'd have to take it out and try to clean things up---at worst, replace the affected circuit boards. Perhaps a car audio shop could handle this for you for less $$$ than the dealer (who would no doubt farm it out to an audio shop anyway, or back to the radio manufacturer).

Nobody really fixes stuff like this anymore, but a good car stereo shop might take a crack at it.
  • decisions1decisions1 Member Posts: 17
    Thx
    Went to my vacation home for a week. Came back to find my C4S dead in the water. Had to "jump" it and after running it for awhile to recharge the battery, lo and behold, the clicking sound coming from my CD player , stopped ! I guess it reset or cleared the player back to spec. Have over 2100 miles on my C4S and not a single problem or recurring problem. Smooth and fast ! :shades:
  • mtt3mtt3 Member Posts: 1
    Where do you insert the battery charger? Cigarette lighter or the armrest console power outlet? Any difference?