Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Porsche 911

1363738394042»

Comments

• bc43bc43 Member Posts: 6
    anyone else see mini cooper's desperate attempt to get mentioned in the same breath as a 911? amusing in a way but come on guys - you've got no shot here.

at this point I say LET"S GET IT ON and crush 'em

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lets-go-to-Road-Atlanta-and-shut-Mini-up/131010103- 593070?ref=ts
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Best be careful here....I have a video of the original MINI humiliating the big block Corvettes at Limerock. How is that possible? It was the type of track that favored the MINI. They were ferocious handlers, not straight-line cars.

If the course is set up the favor really tight cornering, the Porsche could be in trouble.
  • abaker1abaker1 Member Posts: 7
    Any thoughts: My 1989-930 failed the high idle emission test for the 3rd time.
    HC ppm 1750 reading...standard is 220...the previous reading was 810
    CO% 052 reading...standard is 1.20
    CO2% 14.7 reading...standard not mentioned
    02% 0.8 reading..standard not mentioned

I drive the car 1k-1.5k per year and though it needed a good driving, which I did... I also added a fuel system cleaner...but still failed New Jersey Emission test.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    A. Baker
    1750? You have some HUGE problem that should be fairly easy to detect.

I'd approach this as a "back to basics" problem. I'd check for:

1. HUGE vacuum leak (detectable with a smoke tester)

2. Really off engine timing (did someone do a tune up recently--if so, they set it all wrong)

3. Possibly (gulp) a compression problem--bad valve.

4. Did someone take the catalytic off this car?

So, leak test, tune up, compression test. This level of PPM can't be subtle in its cause.

The 930s turbos usually run very clean.
    Mr Shiftright,
    Thanks for your speedy and thoughtful response. The interesting thing is that the car hasn't run this well in years. So I decided to avoid the inspection headache and have the car registered as a collector vehicle, which aren't required to be inspected and the car easily qualifies.
    Thank you again for your help,
    Andy
    Well okay....but I'd still have the car checked. If it's a vacuum leak, this can be harmful, or if your timing is too advanced, the car will run great.....for a while.....

Something is definitely not right with the car.
    You are right. I will get the classification changed first, so its legal to drive, then have it checked out. I have owned this car for 15 years and can't tell you how much pleasure it has given me. Thanks again for your interest and willingness to share.
    The 930 Turbo is a fantastic car...probably the best bang for the buck you can get in an older Porsche. I love 'em and love to drive them---they are a challenge to drive quickly, (they can bite you) and a bit raw perhaps for people who are used to newer, plushier Porsches. To me, those "edgier" characteristics give the car its own unique personality.
  • bc43bc43 Member Posts: 6
    quick follow-up:
    race was yesterday and Porsche won by :02. it was more of an auto-cross course but that seems like a logical move by Mini (although maybe a little sneaky to lean so heavily on Road Atlanta in the publicity).
    Porsche was driven by Cory Friedman who is a professional something or other driver. kudos to Mini for going legit on the racing part. all in all seems like it was all in fun. mini FB page has the video:
    http://www.facebook.com/MINIUSA#!/MINIUSA?v=app_122731241101196
    pretty darn close. I can hardly wait to get that new supercharger reduction pulley and new airbox on my MINI! That's 20 more HP.
  • bayareafx45bayareafx45 Member Posts: 19
    Found out you need a battery conditioner when you go on extended trips and not driving the Porsche. Little over a hundred dollars and just plugs into your wall socket while placing the other end in the Porsche's lighter socket and walk away. Keeps it fully charged. So far , no problems to report ! My C4S just loves to move in a straight line but really loves to climb windy roads . Took it up to the Santa Cruz mountains and she just wanted to scream for joy ! Love this car ! :shades:
    I use a trickle charger on my 1989- 930. I live in the North East and never drive from Nov-March and it starts like a charm. The cost is 15-20 dollars...just another option.
  • cannon1000cannon1000 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to finally buy my first Porsche 911. I am trying to decide on either a 2002/2003 911 Turbo or a 2005/2006 911 C4S.

Would like good advice from Porsche owners - and a reason why as well.

Many Thanks !!
  • old911old911 Member Posts: 3
    This car has no issues and never has, but since I ran the gas down to very low levels twice last month, I suspect there may be a partial obstruction to fuel supply or something related to low gas in tank and maybe bad gas as the engine has LOST POWER. The engine does not sputter or sound different, it starts the same, idles the same but has no chops when pushing it feels like a smaller engine. But there's no valve chatter, no missing or smoke, no excess heat, or dieseling. It was NEVER run hot-nothing ever happened except low gas, ) and summer.... Maybe I needed summer blend gas and I got the old winter blend gas??? Maybe 7Kmi on spark plugs is pushing it? Donno pls advise....appreciate any opinions.
  • geothermalgeothermal Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to purchase a 1999 C2 Cab from a family friend. He went to KBB and saw that base price is $25,000 but is prepared to sell to me for less as it's a deal among friends. As the car has been garage kept, has 35,000 miles, reasonably loaded, recent major maintenance, new tires, and had recent body work to repair any nicks/dings, I felt good about the price. Then, as an additional check, I went to Edmunds.com and it appears that the true market value price there is closer to $20,000. What gives? Is there typically a gap such as this between KBB and Edmunds.com's TMV? What is a fair price for a 1999 C2 Cab that's a "cream puff?"
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    On autotrader.com & make sure you have the car checked out by a Porsche mechanic

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Shifty, if it's a '99, it's a 996.

Sounds like a nice car - assuming the RMS has been addressed...
    edited August 2010
    Oh right you are my good man----, I read that wrong. Somehow I saw C2 and thought 1992.

Absolutely the Rear Main Seal problem has to be investigated. It should be inspected by a qualified Porsche technician (dealer or independent) and if some oil leakage is noted, it should be tested using the Porsche tool created for this purpose. If the crankshaft clearances are too far off (I think they have a grading system of tolerance, 1 through 4), then it's engine time, but I've heard that in most cases the upgraded seal will work. However, the new seal install is a tedious and lengthy repair in and of itself.

Some people say that the 6-speed transmission is more susceptible than the tip-tronic.

Let's face it, this was an engineering error in the 996 engine cases. The crankshaft is not as well supported as it should be. My two cents is that they cut corners.

RE: Price--- the price of $25000 strikes me as retail asking price. A good friend's price would be about $20,000. I've see occasional low mileage cabs in the $21K--$22K range, asking prices. That'd be okay all 'round I think.
  • cheesehead4cheesehead4 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at buying an 06 911 4. Car is in mint condition with 4500 miles. Should I be concerned about the low mileage? Car was bought new in March 07.
    Well I'd certainly plan to have it thoroughly serviced and safety checked. I'd budget $1500 or so for that. We'll need to change the oil for sure and probably the coolant, inspect all the drive belts and hoses, brake calipers and rotors, tires, and make sure all the electronics are working. Also inspect for rodent intrusion, etc.
  • majesterludimajesterludi Member Posts: 8
    Would anyone know what the 4 year major service cost would be for this car?
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    As someone with 30,000 miles on a 2005 that was put in service in September 2005, I believe that long periods of inactivity have bad consequences on cars (and people). I would like to see whether a car that has averaged barely 100 miles a month has had long periods of sitting without any engine activity. I personally would much prefer a car with 5,000 miles a year on the odometer and a good service history than one that has been driven so sparingly.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Good to see you are still around. How's your 911? I remember you were toying with the idea of getting rid of it to do sone work on your house. I guess you kept the car:)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Cabriolet right? And do your kids still fit in the back seat?
  • sportscarfan1sportscarfan1 Member Posts: 7
    Little off topic, but have you folks been watching the 911s in the American Le Mans Series this season? I love watching those beautiful Porsche beasts take it to those Vettes and BMWs...

Also, what happened at Le Mans? We can do better than 4th in GTPro, Porsche.... :confuse:
  • vineauxvineaux Member Posts: 1
    2001 c2 worth 24k with 40k miles? If it is so abundant?!
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    "The 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S pumps out 530 horsepower and 516 pound-feet of torque. It also costs $160,700. And in many ways it's worth it, too, as this Turbo happens to be the fastest car we've ever tested."
    See the results.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

I guess I need to log on more than once every 2 years!

Sorry I didn't respond to your post in October, 2010. I've been preoccupied with other priorities. Sold my 2005 911S Cab in April 2011. The girls couldn't fit in the back anymore. It was a fun 5 1/2 years and 33,000 miles. Maybe a 2013 Cayman is in the future.

Hope all has been well with you. If you get this message, I promise to respond well before 2014 this time.

Best.
    edited August 2012
    And...exhale! Wow, has it been that long? I've been holding my breath waiting the whole time!

Good to hear from you again and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your 911 for so long. What did you replace it with?

All is well here. I joined the 911 fold a few months ago, although I followed my heart and found a 993! My kids fit in it (mostly).

Regards...
    I didn't replace the 911 with anything....yet. We are picking up an X5 Diesel from the BMW Performance Delivery Center in early September. That will be my wife's daily driver with our old MDX getting passed down for use by my 17 year old who just got her license. Hard to believe how time has flown since that first drive in the 911 when they were just 7 and 10 and had room to spare in that little back seat.

Congratulations on the 993! That's the one that the "real" Porsche enthusiasts all want to have. You should be able to drive it for quite a few years and get damn near whatever you paid for it back. Or pass it down to your kids as a true classic.

After our bank account recovers from the X5, I may consider a 2013 Cayman. I've priced out ordering a new base 2013 911 Coupe, but if the new Cayman looks like the renderings, that may be the next fun car next spring. In the interim, I keep chugging along with my Acura TL (6-speed manual of course) and try to avoid drooling on my tie when I am passed by guys like you!

Enjoy your car, but more importantly, enjoy your kids. As I'm sure you know, they grow up way too fast.
  • 911noob911noob Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2000 911 and the navigaiton system is not activated. The previous owner didnt have the software. The local Porsche dealer said they didn't support years prior to 2003. Navtech was the original company, but they no longer list Porsche as a vehicle they make a porduct for. Does anyone know how I might be able to update the system? Or barring that, know of a good in-dash aftermarket system that would be compatible with the car? I'm a little fuzzy on how closely related the PCM is to the navigation system and other systems in the car. If I gut that whole section in the dash and replace it with an aftermarket radio and nav system will that affect anything? Is it possible to buy a later model Porsche system and replace the original?
    Thanks for any info.
    edited November 2012
    I started to look into adding Nav to later model 911's that had the PCM, but not the Nav module. Extremely expensive. I was quoted $3,500-$4,000 just for the part, an estimate of $1,200 labor (need to take apart entire dash). This was from a Porsche dealer that really wanted to sell me a 2012 GTS that had everything but the Nav. To prove that they weren't sticking it to me, they offered to take $2.5k off the negotiated price of the car instead. I passed and now am finding that I may have made a mistake.

You might want to look up and call Intersport Auto in McLean (Tysons Corner) Virginia and ask for their advice. I had my old 2005 911 serviced there and a friend said there is a separate audio company located next to Intersport that does aftermarket systems for Porsche. Even if you are outside the area, they may have some advice for you. I've pretty much given up. If I find a pre-owned car that I really like and it doesn't have Nav I'll look into an i-Pad mini connected to Google Maps.

Your car sounds too old to be CPO'd, but I've heard different opinions as to whether the Porsche warranty will cover anything electrical period, if an aftermarket audio or nav system has been installed. Given that I am looking at late model cars that have extended CPO warranties, that was a deterrent for me as well.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Celebrating the 50th anniversary of the 911 and its most successful financial year in history, Porsche plans to give workers a bonus of 8,111 Euros ($10,477 USD).

Porsche Workers Get Big Bonus To Celebrate 50th Anniversary of 911

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• newmediadavenewmediadave Member Posts: 1
    Totally agree about the donut option. I have a new Boxster. When I found out it didn't have a spare, I went out and bought one (not a Porsche tire but one that will fit). Only problem is that it doesn't fit in the trunk. On a long trip in nowhere I would have to put it in the passenger seat! Warning - has to be the same size as the back tires - they have to be identical in size or it could wreck the transmission. Front can handle unequal sizes.
    At least I have something that could be Fedexed overnight anywhere in the country.
  • fred_1975fred_1975 Member Posts: 9
    I live in north NJ and I am in process of purchasing a new 911 in the next few weeks. Some people are recommending me to purchase winter tires. What do you guys think? does anyone have had experience driving a 911 during winter? For sure I will not drive it on snow, but I am wondering how will the car drive on a freezing weather.
    Thanks
  • birdtripbirdtrip Member Posts: 5
    IMHO yes get snow tires; you can probably get by w/out them but they make a huge difference if you live in an area w/ potholes and roads which can get a bit dicey. Also if you can get tire insurance or rim insurance that is a fair plan, get it. I was steered away from it by the dealership, and I know why, as they tried to sell me every other BS option, but no the one thing I did need they said no. Why? Cause they know they can make $$$$ on tires. Also, rim health is HUGE. Don't think a bent rim can be hammered back year after year, as eventually it will bite you. Bottom line, get snow tires, and if possible I would get an inch less on the winter rims, for example i have 19 inch summer rims, but go to 18 inch in the winter, and it makes a huge difference IMHO. In addition, cannot believe Porsche did not equip the car w/ a spare, sorry, c'mon I dig the performance is the key, but I gave up my Audi, as the 911 is fine in the winter, and as an everyday car, it's been steady and great. They should have figured out a spare solution IMHO, as if u get a flat traveling on a weekend, sorry but that fix a flat won't help if your tire blows apart. And good luck finding a 19 inch xyabdoshous type tire saturday night/Sunday in the middle of no where or Hartford :<). I'm not super rich by any stretch, but when I see a good value, I try and follow through. You get what you pay for, and with the internet, only a lazy person does not get the lowest 10% price range for an item. 95% why I bought my 911 was I needed a car that would help prevent even minor accidents, and not have something nagging every year. Then having said nag translate into some junk show ripping me off in the form of an overpriced car repair. And it has done exactly that, again knock on wood, for almost five years.
  • birdtripbirdtrip Member Posts: 5
    ps Guess I should add I didn't buy a new 911. Bought a used three year old 997, early version, w/ 34 k miles. Got the CPO, which helped w/ a Coil issue, saved me two weeks before it expired. Finally, a good mechanic is worth finding asap at least for comp as your cpo usually makes it smart to use your dealership through its tenure, and they will usually give you nice coupons as long as the cpo lasts, but then who knows. Best to act like you are naive/goofy, and will keep coming then once the CPO expires, bolt, and bolt good. Car dealers like to think they are smarter than you, helps the dirt bags sleep at night I guess. If you do your homework, finding a good mechanic should be kosher, but even good mechanics are a-holes to some folks, as they need to make their margin somewhere. As for Dealerships, well u can guess where I'm going.... Good luck
  • fred_1975fred_1975 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the advice. I found a set of 4 winter tires with rims for ~$2k on the tirerack website. I will think about it.
  • huntzingerhuntzinger Member Posts: 356
    edited December 2013

@Fred_1975 , if its not OBE, you can give Bill Bloomfield at EUROTIRE (Fairfield NJ) a call .. not only can he set you up, he's a PCA supporter who offers discounts, too.

FWIW, when I first got my 911 many moons ago, I found that the compound on the summer tires will "hardball" at <32F and lose a lot of traction. Today's compounds are probably much better, but since we're in the realm of optimizing performance, changing tire compounds for the conditions (summer/winter) not only makes sense, but in comparison to the car, is cheap.

-hh