Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Porsche 911

Comments

• habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    "04 C4S Cab is better looking."

Is this a quote from Stevie Wonder? ;)

I have yet to speak to any Porsche enthusiasts that don't find the 997 an aesthetic improvement over the 996, inside and out. Although at least the 996 C4 had a better looking back end than the 996 C2.

But hey, it's all subjective. :)
  • ds2k1ds2k1 Member Posts: 101
    Does anyone here know of any rumored changes to the '07 997, such as increases in horsepower, standard equipment, price changes, or otherwise? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on an '06 C2 or C2S, but am wondering if Porsche has anything in the works for '07. Specifically, if I buy an '06 C2, I would be disappointed I didn't wait if Porsche had an increase in horsepower/torque planned for the base Carrera.

Any info anyone has out there would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    I seriously doubt you will see any changes to the base and S models of the 997 for at least 2 more years. Porsche is pretty busy getting the other models - GT3, Turbo, Turbo Cab - out in the 997 bodies.

I've seen it speculated that, if the Cayman S gets a bump in power, the 911's will follow. But heck, the Cayman has only been out for a couple of months and Porsche is supposedly bringing out a non-S Cayman next in that line.

I also understand from a friend who has a 2001 911TT that the new Turbo is going to have an option tied to the sport chrono package that increases the horsepower from 460 +/- to 520+/-. I think that car will be getting all of the attention from the power hungry crowd and the 911 and 911S will continue along in their current format.
  • msabbamsabba Member Posts: 6
    I recently purchased a 2001, 911 cab; my first Porsche btw. I'm curious as to what "normal" operating temperature should be. It seems like during mild outside temps the needle hovers around 180, but when the ambient temp increases to 70 or so, the car's temp goes up to around 200. Just worried that when summer hits and it gets to 95 outside what to expect. Any advice would be appreciated. thanks
  • bonn1bonn1 Member Posts: 5
    I'm about to take delivery of a c4 (my first porsche)- i've seen a few comments about breaking in period - can anybody clarify this for me? any advice/comments would be very helpful!
    My service manager spent 7+ years in various capacities at the Porsche headquarters, including as part of their racing team. so I took his advice seriously.

His recommendation was simple: Under 4,500 RPM and no cruise control (vary speed) for the first 1,500 miles, and, most importantly, don't turn the key on unless you are going to dive the car for at least 20 minutes to allow all components - not just the radiator water temp - reach full operating temperature. You have two temperature guages - the oil temperature takes a lot longer to heat up and that is the one you want to be checking during break in.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    One of the glossy English car mags (Evo? Cars?) has a piece this month of which options to order with various Porsche models. Their suggestions didn't make much sense to me, either from personal preference or the standpoint of resale. For example, they recommend that one stick with the base, non power seats, don't order Bose, and for the Cayenne to order the rear camera.

Speaking of glossy UK magazines, I saw 911,"nothing else matters", for the first time and was impressed.

Incidentally, Habitat1, I came across an old post of yours re: the E Class Diesel which made a lot of sense: while the engine may last forever, the electronics will kill any savings over the long run.
  • c4sloverc4slover Member Posts: 8
    I recently made up my mind to purchase a C4S. Rather than go with a 2006 I have decided to buy a 2007. If I order a 2006, I will have it sometime in June. If I wait for a 2007, I can get it sometime in September. So I decided to go with the newer model year which should save me $5,000 on the depreciation hit this year. I am assuming that when the 2007's come out, the 2006's will be worth $5,000 less. Now only if prices on the 2007s will not increase too much. Most of the dealers I spoke with do not expect that given the 2.8% increase in 2006. Will have to wait and see, but even if they increase, I do not think it would be a huge increase.

I am thinking of adding the following options:

Full Leather
    Sport Exhaust
    Extended Nav
    Power seats
    Bose Hi end sound
    Module for cell phone
    Sport Chrono
    3 spoke multi-function steering wheel
    CD changer
    Tire Monitoring Pressure System
    Park Assist
    Heated Seats
    19 in Carerra Classic Wheels
    self dimming mirrors
    porsche crests in headrest
    Handset for cell phone
    Wheel caps
    Floor mats

Options I am not sure about are the power seats (still thinking about adaptive sports seats instead) , park assist (don't know if I will need this, but am thinkin it could pay for itself if there is one scrape backing up), TMPS ( I have seen posts here that it may not be reliable), sport exhaust (it does not add to performance and there is no way to disengage it if driving in sport mode, the stock sound of the S is pretty good without it), and telephone hand set (may not want it if it is not removable. )

The colors I am thinking about are Seal Grey with stone grey interior and black top, Atlas Grey with Stone Grey interior and Black top). I also like the GT Silver with Black interior and black top or cocoa interior with cocoa top.

If anyone can offer their thoughts on these options, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
    thanks for the recommendation - haven't picked up the car as yet but i'm really looking forward to this!
    just got my c4 in - cocoa leather and top with arctic silver - I think it looks fantastic
    You haven't left out too many options, but I would consider the "sport shifter". And the adaptive sport seats.

As for the sport exhaust, it would be nice if there was a way to separately engage it. I would like to be able to utilize the sport setting on the sport chrono for the faster throttle response, without waking up the neighbors. As it is, sport chrono "on" means sport exhaust is "on".
    Thanks for the input. On the sports shift, do you really think it makes a big difference in how the car feels. Isn't the regular shift a fairly short throw? I still need to try the adaptive sports seats and see if they feel better to me than the regular power seats. As for the sports exhaust, I agree with you that it would have been nice if one could turn it off and still use the sports mode. Also, I know that Porsche states there is no perfomance boost with the sports exhaust. Do you really think this is the case, or that there may be some HP boost, but that Porsche does not want to say so. After all, why would someone be willing to pay close to $17M for the performance package for a boost iof 30 HP if the sports exhaust that comes packaged with it provided 10-12 HP of the 30 HP. I know that on most after market sports exhausts there is a performance boost. Any other thoughts on this?
  • bsumnerbsumner Member Posts: 39
    1. You are a dream customer for Porsche . . . that will be one of the more expensive non-cabrio straight 997s you can configure . . . if you're spending that much $$, why not just get a Turbo?

2. It escapes me why anyone would pay to have a commercial put on their headrest . . . but it's your $$.

3. Don't forget arbitrage theory . . . you seem to think that you're "getting away with it" in your depreciation avoidance strategy. I'm not sure it's that simple. And, while you are waiting, many of us will be enjoying our C4s all summer long . . .

Best of luck!
    $17m is a lot for a performance package . . .
    Thanks for your comments but I guess I did not mention that I am getting a C4S Cab.

And, maybe I am a "dream customer" for Porsche. But it is really more not wanted to settle for something that is not everything that I want. I really like the CS4 and want to get a loaded car. I plan to keep the car for a long time. It is my "dream car". I don't see a few hundred dollars for Porsche crests in the headrest being a big deal. I do mind paying an extra $5,000 for depreciation for a few months of use. If a dealer had a 2006 C4S on the lot with the options I want, I might go ahead and buy it. But they are not available the way I want. I am not interested in Carbon fiber or lots of extra aluminum. I also do not want a stipped down car. I could have gotten a pretty loaded 2006 C4S for $8,000 under MSRP but the car did not have the sports chrono option which I wanted. Some options if not gotten at the factory are difficult and much more expensive to add later.

My dealer said that If I placed my order now, I would get the car sometime in June. If I wait and place my order in July, the dealer said I should have the car by September. Two to three months fly by quickly and I do not mind waiting for a 2007 equiped the way I want it.

One of the things that Porsche provides its customers is the ability to configure their car the way they want. I am not aware of any other car company that lets a customer select any exterior color paint to match.

You suggested getting a Turbo instead of a fully loaded C4S. While I would not mind having a Turbo, many of the options I want would still be extra $. So I think a Turbo would cost me $30M more than I am spending. It sounds like some options on the C4S may come standard on the Turbo, like a leather interior, but I would imagine many of the other options are extra $. I saw the photos of the new Turbo on Porsche's website today, and it is a beautiful car. But I am not prepared to shell out $150M +, so I will stick with the C4S Cab.
    Sport Shifter: The standard 911 shifter is not bad, but they are definitely longer throws than my former 2002 Honda S2000, which arguably had the best gearbox (not clutch) in the business. So I've opted for the sport shifter in the 2006 911 I have on order.

Sport Exhaust: Again, because it's tied to the sport chrono on my car, it's impossible to tell if the sport exhaust adds any power/performance. I would not be surprised if it really does add 10+/- hp. One thing is for sure, the $920 sports chrono is a MUST HAVE option. The increased throttle response is dramatic and, even though Porsche claims no added horsepower or performance, that's really hard to believe. It certainly makes spirited driving more enjoyable. I would never buy any Porsche without S/C, even if they doubled the cost.

Performance Package: At $17k, that seems like money that would be better spent towards just getting a turbo.

C2 vs. C4: You didn't ask, but I'll volunteer that, when I reconsidered this decision for the 2006, my sales manager (former racing team member) pointed out that, notwithstanding Porsche's published performance figures (which do not show much/any "penalty" for the 4), in actuality the C2 is as quick as the C4S and the C2S is as quick as the C4S w/X51. As he explained, it's not just the added weight of AWD, it's that the C2 drivetrain is more direct and efficient in getting HP to the wheels. He wasn't trying to discourage me from the C4S, he just wanted to forewarn me of the perceived power difference since I was coming out of a C2S. He also pointed out that with the PSM of the 997, you have to really push the car to the edge to get a transfer of power to the front wheels (unlike the 993 and previous). I figured that I wouldn't be driving much in rain or snow, so opted to stick with the C2S. But I wouldn't kick a C4S out of my garage. ;)

2007 vs. 2006. Clearly, you are better off with a later model year on resale. But how much depends on what you pay. I'd expect another 2-3% price increase. If your dealer is discounting a 2007 order the same as a 2006, I'd go for the 2007, price increase notwithstanding. But if you can save another 3-5% by going with a 2006, the economics become a wash or even in favor of the 2006.
  • barryvonbarryvon Member Posts: 4
    Amongst your options, there are a few things to consider. The Tire Monitoring is a must. I dont have it on my '06 C2S and I replaced a tire at 500 miles, due to running on low pressure which is disguised by the low profile tires.
    The park assist will leave unsightly bullets at the front and back of your car. The car is small enough to park in tight spaces, and I tend to park my car in the back 40 acres on any parking lot. I have silver with full natural leather,(baseball glove color). Love it! I do like the Cocoa however. At the Detroit Autoshow, I really liked the Black leather dash with Terracotta thread, and a lower dash in terracotta. The doors were two tone to match the dash, very cool! I bet the sport exhaust is nice, however the S exhaust lets out a great note while in Sport Mode, sounds like an F1 under bridge at high RPM.
  • barryvonbarryvon Member Posts: 4
    Sport Mode with Sport Chrono feels like more HP! The throttle response is outstanding, it seems much faster in Sport Mode. I have the sport shifter, and glad I purchased it for $765.
  • aj911aj911 Member Posts: 3
    Get the sport shifter - adds a whole new experience of fun
    I don't have the same knowledge base as say Habitat1 to address the option question. But let me tackle depreciation.

C4SLover thinks that the difference between a new '07 and a used '06 911 will be $5000 plus a two month opportunity cost. I don't think so. Sure, maybe for one magical day in August, that might be the case. But at the midpoint of the model year, say in March '07, clearly there will be a bigger gap between an '06 and an '07. I think that the gap will be much more than 5K plus a potential 2-3% price increase. Afterall, the depreciation curve on a 911 has got to be similar to other vehicles in its class: steep and downward sloping. (As a side point, the car as now envisioned, may drop like a rock with all those hard to residualize options.) The real world gap in September between an '06 and an '07 has got to be 15K without considering all of the options that C4SLover is going to hang on. Before anyone snorts that 15K is chicken feed and not too much to pay to have a Porsche in early summer, let me suggest that if you had put 15K into an emerging market bond fund last year you would have 30K today.

All in all, at this late point in the year, C4SLover should buy an '07.

Allow me one comment on options . The list seems overdone. Why for example, TWO options related to cell phones? Don't most people just stick the damn thing in their jeans or shirt pocket when they go for a ride? Or if they are upscale they buy a nice, leather (not plastic) holster from Orvis?
    Thanks for the comments Was wondering what color top you went with on your silver with brown natural leather interior? I am still undecided on the exterior and interior colors. My latest thougth is silver or grey. Also think the GT Silver and Slate are beautiful but not sure it is worth the extra $2,000 unless I am in love with those colors. I will have to go out and try to see them in person. The Porsche book showed all three and they all look great.
    The dealer will take about 5% off on a new C2S. What do you think? Buy it now or wait until the 2007? The 2007 will likely have a price increase and there probably won't be any added "substantial improvements" in the new 2007 model year.
    Based upon my personal experience, I have to disagree with your math on the 2006 vs. 2007 resale comparison.

It is March 2006. I have a 2005 C2S with 5,500 miles bought in September 2005. The 2006's were just arriving when I purchased it off the showroom floor. According to my dealer, it is worth approximately $5,000 less in trade in value than an identical 2006 model would be (i.e. also 6 months old, 5,500 miles). So, yes, the model year makes a difference. But so does mileage and time in use. And the moment you drive any car off the lot and it becomes a used car, you take a 10%+ hit, regardless of which model year.

The actual difference in what I paid for my 2005 vs. the best deal I could have gotten on an identical 2006 was about $8,000, reflecting a much bigger discount and the 2.8% price increase. I would have saved a couple of thousand on options that I wouldn't have ordered, but that would have reduced resale a bit as well. Overall, it's damn close to a wash.

If you chekc Edmunds or NADA, you won't find anywhere near a $15k difference between successive model years of any 911, with the possible exception of 2004 to 2005 when it went from the 996 to the 997.
    Habitat1, you are , IMHO, the guru of the board. To illustrate your case would you present what you think a knowledgable buyer would pay for a used relatively base 997 in a resaleable color for model years 2005 and 2006? This would be straight up, no trade, decent mileage but not a seldom used toy, etc. Thanks.
  • nyc4snyc4s Member Posts: 5
    Let me end this 2006 vs. 2007 discussion. Life is short, get the 2006 and enjoy. Forget about depreciation and live your lives. I drive my c4s cab at least every other day, and to wait through a summer without it would suck!
    I appreciate the compliment, but I am hardly a "guru". I've been a Porsche owner for all of 5 1/2 months. My friend with a 2001 911TT (gettinga 2007 911 TT) has, by contrast been a Porsche owner for 30+ years.

My dealer thought I should be able to sell my 2005 w/ 5,000 miles for about 13-15% under it's original MSRP (not the current/increased 2006 MSRP), and thought that would be a "fair" price for both parties. He thought I should be able to get on the lower 13% side of that range, since it is only 6 months old and has 3.5 years left on the factory warranty. A one and a half year old 2005 would probably go for more like a 20%-25% discount with correspondingly more miles (15k). However, there are no 1.5 year old 997 Cabs, since they didn't come out until last spring.

Obviously, the more non-standard options the car has, the greater the discount. In my case, even though the car had $12k in options, most are considered reasonably desireable. He considers the basics: power seats, Bose/CD changer, Xenons, heated seats (cabs). Navigation and sport/chrono are starting to become standard as well. Sport exhaust, full leather interior are not and, in some cases, custom paint and interior to match actually reduce resale.

Because the Porsche option list is so long, it's tough to give a single fair price for a used 2005/2006 C2 base coupe. Even Edmunds is limited, in that they don't list the Porsche options. That's why my dealer suggested using the original MSRP and discounting from there.

Good luck. I still know of a 2005 seal grey cab S looking for a good home in 4 weeks to make way for a 2006 Speed Yellow one :);)
  • ame546ame546 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering the purchase of a new 2006 c2s cab that has MSRP of 100800. Given that new models will be coming out soon how much wiggle room do I have with the price. Invoice is 87500 from my calculations. Is a 93K offer realistic?

Thank you for any helpful replies regarding buying a new 911 since this would be my first.
    I would doubt you will find a dealer to discount the car that much unless there is something particularly odd about it that makes its marketabilty more limited such as special taste expensive options thatmay not appeal to a broader market such as carbon fiber or some unusual color combinations.
    You should be able to get about $5,500 off the MSRP
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    depends on where you are. If in CA, you'll be very lucky to get anything close to $4K off.
    Amen, nyc4s. That is the short version of what I was trying to say earlier.

In my view, a car ISN'T an investment--and while it may be important to analyze it financially with bond math, ultimately it is a gut decision: "will I enjoy this--and do I want it now?"

-BS
  • nyc4snyc4s Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone added wheel spacers aftermarket? If so, can you notice the difference and how much did you pay?
  • mafitchmafitch Member Posts: 15
    Dweiser, I noticed in a previous post that you are NC based. I am in Raleigh and preparing to place my order for a C2 cab or Coupe. I am torn. In my heart I want the cab but with the summer humidity (I don't love being hot) is it worth the 10K? I previously had a Boxster S and there were times in the summer when the top was up and the A/C was full bore. What has your experience been? It sounds like you are in the mountains which is probably slightly different but I am eager to hear what your thoughts are. Thanks in advance.
  • fergie2fergie2 Member Posts: 1
    I want a new C4S but can't decide between the cab and the coupe. I drive the coupe now but miss my boxter convertible. How's the cab ride long distance?
  • bpm69bpm69 Member Posts: 10
    Couldn't you just paint your car and save all the transaction costs of flipping a car?
  • cayenneslookcayenneslook Member Posts: 4
    To all that would like to give their thoughts, I am looking at purchasing a New C4 Cab and wanted to know from others that have recently bought what you thought would be a fair percentage off of the MSRP.

I am looking at a price of $101,600.00 I was hoping to get 5%-6% off that price...Is that reasonable, OR, should I be asking for more?

Thanks for your help.
    fergie,

I have driven my 911 Cab 150+ miles on the highway at 75+ and it's quite comfortable, but obviously there is a fair amount of wind noise. I did NOT use the windscreen that comes with the car - it fit's over the back seats (folded) and runs up the back of the front seats. Supposedly, this reduces wind noise, but limits your use of the rear are for storage.

My kids have endured about 70 miles in the rear seats at 65+ mph with no ill effects. I need to remind them to wear a sweatshirt and their "Porsche" caps, even if it's 70+ degrees out.

bpm69,

Repainting a nearly brand new Porsche??? :surprise:

I like Speed Yellow, but not that much. The paint finish that comes from the Porsche factory is about the best in the world. I took my car into a highly recommended body shop to have a scrape in one of the rear wheels removed. I jokingly asked how much to go to Speed Yellow. About $8,000. And they would not claim to be able to replicate the factory finish process, but could get as close as humanly possible.

cayenneslook,

Not sure where you are from, but getting 5-6% off a new C4 Cab would be a heck of a deal in the DC area. Unless it's an odd color and been sitting for awhile. If you are a first time buyer, ordering a car like that heading into convertible season, I would be surprised if the DC area dealers gave you more than 3-4% off. A year ago, when the Cab 2 S had just come out, they were selling at MSRP to $1,000 off. I went to Baltimore and got a better deal in September on a late arriving 2005 that was loaded.
    Thanks for that information...I am from South Jersey. I had gotten a car from this dealer in the past. I am hoping that will help, plus, in checking out internet deals with some other dealers around the country, I am noticing some discounting going on in the neighborhood of 4-6%.

I just did not know how realistic that pricing is...That is why I wanted to check with other owners.
    Thanks
  • ds2k1ds2k1 Member Posts: 101
    There are a ton of C4 cabs out there. Based on what I've seen on some other forums, you should be able to get 5-6% off easy. I just ordered a C2 - harder to find, dealers less willing to negotiate on an ordered car - and got better than 5% off. Make sure you're expanding your search to not just your immediate area, and get the dealers to compete against each other. Typically, if you ask for the internet sales manager, you'll get the best price with the least B.S. And if you're satisfied with a car someone has in inventory, instead of ordering one to your specs, they'll definitely work with you.
  • decisions1decisions1 Member Posts: 17
    Great board. Been drinking yall's kool-aid for six months now and am close to ordering my first porsche - a C4S coupe w/ a few options. I'm still wrestling with exterior color, however. IMO all the silvers look great, but those colors are all I seem to see anymore. Is it my imagination, or is everyone going silver? So, I'm thinking Atlas Grey w/ all black leather. There's an '05 C2 at my dealer in that and the exterior is gorgeous, bluish tint in the sun and darker when clouds/night. Any views on Atlas Grey, or my perception that there're now a bunch of silvers out there? Thanks much.
    Well I'm an expert on colors. :mad: :confuse:

I have a great looking Seal Grey that I'm now on the verge of trading for a Speed Yellow. I would have gone with Speed Yellow last year if I followed my instincts (and daughter's wishes). But I went limp and rationalized that the more conservative Seal Grey would be better for a 911.

The lesson is: get what you like and the hell with other's opinions. (That said, Seal Grey is a little less ubiquitous than silver, and Atlas Grey even less so.)
    To ds2k1

Thanks for the information...where are you located?
    I am hoping to get 5-6% off my car and I am in no rush so I hope that gives me some leverage.
    Do Porsche dealers have Internet sales people? I thought that was for other lower end cars?
  • gord1gord1 Member Posts: 11
    I am considering the purchase of a new 911 (2006 or 2007).

I plan to use it sparily, probably 8,000 miles per year or so, and would like to keep it 10 plus years.

Can anyone tell me what I might expect to pay per year or in total over the 10 years for maintanence expenses?

Do you think the amount would be appreciably higher than the maintanence expense for say, a Corvette.
  • decisions1decisions1 Member Posts: 17
    Appreciate it H1.

From a prior post of yours I thought you also might have a sense as to what the upper limit age range would be for kids in the backseat before they might start pummeling one another senseless due to too cramped quarters?

Also, anyone have a rec for best radar? Someone told me Calibre(sp?) was the top of the line. I'm asking only out of curiosity of course!
    "From a prior post of yours I thought you also might have a sense as to what the upper limit age range would be for kids in the backseat before they might start pummeling one another senseless due to too cramped quarters?"

My daughters are 8 and 11. The 11 year old is about 4'9" ands sits behind my 5'1" wife. The younger is about 4'2" and sits behind me (5'7"). I would say that they have about another 2-3" of leg room to spare before it would start to become a case of child abuse. If you and/or your wife are much over 6', the rear seats will be tight for anyone in the back for longer trips. This is one of the few instances where being vertically challenged pays off. ;)
    I have a C4 with Midnight Blue/Sand Beige and the only problem I have with the colors is that it draws too much attention . . . a very good looking combo (the driver only detracts from its looks!).

-BS
  • dweiserdweiser Member Posts: 288
    In my opinion anyway. No spare in the 997 911 is the why. TPMS in my 2006 is spot on! I hear it may be standard on the 2007s.
    I moved to the mountains of western NC from Raleigh actually (pre-Porsche). Haven't been back once since.
    :)
    It does get GOD-AWFUL HOT and HUMID in Raleigh. I'm sorry I can't help you other than to say I was torn between the coupe (cleaner lines) and the Cab (more versatile); very happy I got the Cab. I'm sure there will be days even in the mountains when it's just too hot to put the top down. I guess you have to ask yourself how many Spring, Summer (on the not so hot & humid days - there are always cool nights right?), Fall, and even Winter days (I had my top down many Winter afternoons this year - get the heated seats option) will you be able to go topless?
  • mafitchmafitch Member Posts: 15
    I thought you might say that. I have thought extensively about the issue at hand. I too enjoy the clean lines of the coupe and the 10K savings. However, I know myself and regardless of the fact that I won't always get the topless fun of the cab I would kick myself in the end for not biting the bullet and getting it. After all, these are about getting what you want right? Thanks for your response and may I ask which dealer you used?
    I guess I just feel the Cab gives a-l-m-o-s-t everything the coupe does plus the added dimension of the roof disappearing. The cabin is very sheltered (from wind and outside noise) by the way with the top down and extremely quiet inside with the top up. Visibility may suffer slightly with the top up compared to the coupe. Local dealers - Asheville, NC wouldn't move off MSRP back in August and Greenville, SC had no build allotments for months. I bought mine from Paramount Motors in Hickory (on I-40). They were o.k. to deal with and they were willing to discuss a discount. If you contact them, please mention my name, Don Weiser.
    Hope this helps.