Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Porsche 911

Comments

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have had to replace a car key, which ended up costing over $200 or $300. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, April 2, 2006 containing your daytime contact information, the cost to replace your key along with the make and model your vehicle.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • bedav1bedav1 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a C4S Cab. I was just curious as to how people who live in states that have winters care for their tops when it is too cold to wash it themselves. The manuals say keep it away from car washes. What are the choices?
  • kyingkying Member Posts: 61
    To: sdbui

My wife has a 150-mile commute each day, 5 days a week, over the "grapevine" (a 40-mile stretch of one of the steepest and curviest Interstates in the U.S.) from Castaic to Bakersfield. She alternates between a 2004 911 Targa and a 2001 Audi TT. She puts about 17000 miles on the Targa (and the TT too) each year. The only cost for the Targa so far was the 15000-mile maintenance, and it consumes only 1.5 quart of oil very 15000 miles (considered very little). We bought the 911 for her commute and expected it to be a workhorse. And it has been! :)
  • hotrod88hotrod88 Member Posts: 17
    Anyone try adding sound proofing to cut out tire noise?
    Is there an access panel to the inside of the fender?
    Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Rod...

Atlas Grey, 911 S, standard black leather, electric seats,
    heated seats, multi-function steering wheel, TPMS, colored wheel caps - delivery expected June 25, 2006.
  • garyg5garyg5 Member Posts: 15
    help me out guys. I am a first time 997/911 Coupe buyer. I know all the options i want, but have questions/concerns about the wheels. I have ordered-preliminary- the 19" Sport Design Wheel. However i saw it at the dealer for the first time and even though i like the multi-spoke design, the color of the wheel looks sort of "plastic", painted, rather than aluminum or brushed? I can change the order and seek your opinions. Rather than make the mistake from the get go, i would like some feed back from those of you who have been there, done that....
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    I see ads regularly in Autoweek from various Porsche dealers. If I could pickup a relatively base '06 997 at a discount I'd be a happy guy. (Note to Habitat1: you were right and I wrong about Porsche resale. It is so good that it may make little sense to try to find a good used 997.)

Apparently PNA doesn't have much of a penalty for a dealer selling out his area. Apparently there is even a delivery mechanism whereby if you buy a car say in FL you can have it prepped for delivery and delivered to you by your local dealer. In December '05 I saw a Carrera GT that was bought in FL being prepped for delivery in NH to the guy who went from being a tie salesman at Bloomingdales to putting horseheads on everyone's clothing.

But, given the need for service and warranty assistance is there a downside to picking up a new 997 from a distant dealer? Or, is it a bigger problem if you buy the car from the local dealer with the worst CSI and then bring it to the local guy with the best service department? Or is warranty work a profit center and the dealers are grateful for it?
  • markgc4smarkgc4s Member Posts: 23
    I bought my first Porsche in Dec. 2005 and am anxiously awaiting delivery. I ordered a 2006 C4S in Atlas Grey. Can anyone tell me what the waiting time is usually like? It seems to me my dealer is lacking in the communications dep't. I was told that I had a Feb build date and that it should ship out in March. Now its April 3rd and still nothing. So I was wondering what type of experiences other Porsche buyers may have had. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    My Porsche dealer showed me a schedule for my car, which includes, when the order was received (customer order), all the options, when building will start, when finished, when shipping. Heck, if you called my dealer (Dayton, Ohio) he may even look it up for you. Maybe the C4S takes longer. Best of luck to ya.
    Thnx for replying hotrod!! How long from the date your car was built to the time it was shipped and then received?
    Ordered on February 20, 2006.
    Build start May 10.
    Build finish May 25.
    Me sitting in it June 25.
    So roughly a month between completion until pickup.
    I think that the boat ride is less than 2 weeks.
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    most dealers today have different books for sales department and service department. So even though you didn't buy your car at Dealer "A" but their service department will want your business.
  • dweiserdweiser Member Posts: 288
    There was a brief strike/slow-down BUT your dealer gets updates weekly on the status code of every car he has on order so he should know e-x-a-c-t-l-y where your car is in the process. I'd go visit your dealer and demand to know exactly where your car is in the process and tell (not ask) him you want to receive updates at least weekly.
    Thanks guys...I appreciate the info. I will be paying my dealer a visit this weekend.
  • decisions1decisions1 Member Posts: 17
    Ditto on the thanks to hotrod and dweiser. I'm going to do the same schedule check on my new C4S. Mark G's got me nervous. Mine's also Atlas Grey. Where are you MG? I'm in NC.
    Am I the only one thinking that Mark's dealer has either given up the allocation to another dealer or never even ordered it?
    Hey...I'm in NJ. Couldn't wait for the weekend, so called my dealer today. Car has left Germany and should be here within 2-3 weeks. Can't wait! Has anyone had the XPEL clear bra installed on their Porsche? Any feedback?
    Hey blckislandguy...I was thinking the same thing, but the dealer confirmed that it left the port and I should have it no later than 4/25.
    can you guys offer any suggestions on wheel options on a 2006, 997/911? any opinions on the Sport Wheel Design??
    Maybe it's just me, being a jealous Newbie having only recently ordered my first 911 (C4S), but it strikes me that there are a lot of "sporty" looking cars out there (not true sports cars mind you) that are attempting to imitate various of the 997 lines. Some Hondas, etc.???
    I think the Sport Wheel Design is the way to go...thats what I ordered on my 2006 C4S. Not a big fan of the other designs.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Wheels = Highly subjective issue.

I have a 2005 C2S cab with the standard Carrera S wheel. I have ordered a 2006 C2s cab with the "Carrera Classic" wheel.

I spend practically as much time cleaning the Carerra S wheels as washing the entire car. Too many nooks and crannies. In my opinion, the Carerra Classic (5 spoke) wheel looks good and is easy to clean. Personally, I think the sport design looks too busy for the 911. But it may be my subconscious reminding me of how tough it was to clean the wire wheels of a friends E-Type Jaguar whenever he let me borrow it for a weekend.
    this may sound like a stupid question but have you seen the Sport Wheel? I live in a small island area, without a Porsche dealer. The only "visual" i have of the Sport Wheel is on the Porsche web site, but i cant tell if the wheel is a brushed aluminum look, or a "painted" grey look? A friend who went to a Porsche dealer, says the Sport Wheel had a painted, plastic look. I dont see Porsche doing that?? I appreciate the feedback from all of you, i am buying sight unseen, on line.
    is the Sport Wheel Design a brushed aluminum metal or a painted wheel, i can't tell from the web site??
    Here is a link for a pic of the sport design wheel...it's a brushed aluminum wheel. http://www.essentialstyling.com/side%20full%20trim.jpg
  • rayngrayng Member Posts: 70
    Maintenance will be oil changes every 15k for ~$500 (check with your local Porsche service department), the 30k service (~$1200), brakes, tires, and other maintenance items. The 996 has been pretty reliable despite the notorious rear main seal problems.

So I would estimate your maintenance costs to be low with depreciation as your biggest expense by far. If you want to save money, why not buy a used 997 for around $65k? Drive it sparingly, get the clear bra, and expect many years of relatively trouble free sports car ownership.

Compared to the 'vette, the 997 should be more reliable especially if you consider the consumer report surveys.

In the end, maintenance and depreciation are not the reasons why most car enthusiasts purchase sports cars. Buy what you love, and enjoy the car to the fullest. Both the 997 and the 'vette are wonderful cars, and bring a great deal of joy and fun to their lucky owners. Life is too short to worry about maintenance costs. Now if you were to say Ferrari, then be afraid, very afraid... :P
    thank's a lot for the link, i like the look, you are right, it is the way to go. i just placed my order and hope to have my 911 by June!?
  • c4sloverc4slover Member Posts: 8
    Was wondering where you have seen used 997s for $65,000? I have not seen them that low. The lowest I have seen for a non S coupe was about $75,000. Would love to pick one up for $65,000. What part of the country did you see it in?
    Correction. I think you're correct about $65M for a used 997 coupe. I was thinking cab. Those are about $10M higher. I am looking for a cab.
    "Maintenance will be oil changes every 15k for ~$500 (check with your local Porsche service department)."

Wow, don't know who's ripping you off but I've been quoted well under $200 for an oil & filter change for my 2006 997.
    I have a 997-911 Coupe on the way, due this summer. I see you comment about the "clear bra"...please tell me about it?. is this a Porsche option or aftermarket??
    Let me jump in here and answer. These clear film "bras" are made by a variety of companies such as X Pel, etc. You can probably google them. They are installed by authorized installers of the products such as detailers, body shops, etc. and not usually by your Porsche dealer. I had one installed on my Cayenne, arranged it thru my selling Porsche dealer, gladly paid $150 more for it to have them arrange for the installation to ensure that I could complain to someone with some clout if necessary and have been very happy. I'm not so sure I would love it if the guy that put it on hadn't done Porsches before and understood that it needed to be done right. I think I paid $800 or so. All in all I highly recommend it if you ever intend to drive your car outside your driveway.
  • cashcarcashcar Member Posts: 15
    For me it is a totally different world.
    The attention paid to wheel finishes,spare
    tires,bras and malfunctioning electronic
    gadget software, (blame Bill Gates for that, not the car factories), just mystifies me. In WWII, (I presume you
    have heard about it from your
    Grandfathers or the History Channel),
    we made everything roll, even the
    abandoned German tanks and vehicles.
    It is a "Brave New World", ( but
    obviously totally spoiled), and it
    is clear to me that I am just an
    old fuddy duddy, (that's the polite
    term).
    If you have a problem with your car. you
    just deal with it, with or without
    help from the dealer, the factory
    or AAA or OnStar!
    If you don't love your car, with all
    her warts, get a divorce and pay the
    price.
    If you are no longer enchanted by her,
    despite her flaws, get rid of her
    and move on, like any other love
    affair.
    It's not worth it to be that
    unhappy guys. You get only one
    time around, so make the most
    of it. Remember,it is you who busted
    your chops to make the $ to buy that
    sucker. And if she does not love you
    back or appreciate you--DUMP HER!!!

CASHCAR
  • cashcarcashcar Member Posts: 15
    hey bedav1:
    Having owned at least 10 or more
    Porsches since 1960, and having a
    C4 Cabrio among my present fleet, I
    bought the hardtop as well, with a
    glass rear window defroster, and alol
    winter problems disappeared.
    <
    thank you, i appreciate the information about the clear bra
    Cashcar, if you were a tanker in WWII and today are driving a 997 Cab you're doing a heck of a lot better than most other 80-85 year olds. Those VA nurses must be begging for rides. Remind me to tell you about the time I was home on leave from Vietnam with another GI in his 356. The front wheel bearing went and the nearest Porsche dealer was three states away. We simply pried a wheel bearing out of a parked VW, left a note signed by one H. C. Minh, and got back on the road.
  • trifctrifc Member Posts: 3
    I am in Southern California/ Los Angeles market. Looking at purchase of a Carrera S Cabriolet.
    Seal Grey/Black top/Stone Grey standard leather.
    Options: CD changer, Bose sound package, Navagation for PCM, Heated front seats, Tiptronic S, Power seat package and 19" Carrerra Classic Wheels.
    MSRP $103,085.
    Dealer has offered $5,000 off MSRP or $98,085.

this is my first Porsche purchase. Any ideas if this is a good deal?
  • JingleJillJingleJill Member Posts: 120
    I would think you can do better. If they offered that without anything, go for more.
  • trifctrifc Member Posts: 3
    What is a good target? The invoice is around $92,000. Any recent selling trends in the So. Cal Market?
    Anyone use a good radar detector in their Porsche that they can recommend?
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Do not buy the Cab S w/o the $920 sport chrono package. Seriously. The more responsive throttle response on the "sport" setting is more noticable than the 30 extra horsepower of the S over the base in 90% of your daily driving.
    I am close to ordering a 2007 C4S cabriolet. With options I want, the MSRP will be about $115,000. One of the dealers told me I should buy the 2007 Turbo Cab instead of the C4S cab. The MSRP for the Turbo Cab will be about $137M with the options I want, or about $22M more. The dealer said the Turbo should hold its value much better than the C4S cab because the number of Turbos made is far less than C4S's. Does anyone have any experience to validate what the dealer is telling me?
    Not a bad deal since you're in S. Cal, I only got $2.5K off when I ordered mine last June In N. Cal. If the car is on the lot and those options are what you're looking for then give them a counter offer of $7.5K off. Otherwise, go ahead and order the car the way you want it.
    how long you have to wait for the turbo Cab becomes available? Also, that's a lot of value need to be held up for $22K more
    I can only say this c4slover and it's my opinion (and others as well) that the C4S has nicer/cleaner lines than the Turbo (as does the GT3). They (Porsche) didn't get the Turbo "right" this time unfortunately. However, take all things into considertaion and then follow your "gut". Remember, no Porsche should ever be seen as an "investment", all these cars are going to depreciate faster than you want to think about so get the one YOU want and love and enjoy it.
    My two cents.
    dweiser, i haven't seen the new turbo in person yet. what didn't they get right in this version? :confuse: you mean the lines?
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    A "garish array of external spoilers and scoops" as Automobile mag put it. I tend to agree, it looks overcooked. However, the turbocharger and AWD drive system are new and improved, supposedly for the better.

The GT3 also looks overcooked. But there are functional considerations in all of the spoilers and vents. How much is anyone's guess. They claim minimized lift in the Turbo which is very important if one plans on taking it into the aerodynamic realm if you know what I mean. And of course the intake and venting are not to be taken lightly if the car is being tracked.

IMO the 996 Turbo and C4S were tough to beat on looks. The new Turbo and GT3 have a boy-racer countenance. Eh, the GT3 doesn't belong on the street anyway. Would like to see what the new AWD in the Turbo feels like.
    decisions1, I couldn't have expressed it better than designman did just above.
    I ordered a C4S coupe late Feb. taking my dealer's last (only?) April build allocation. Checking w the dealer last week they said it was still in "planned April production" but hadn't "updated", which made me think that I've probably been erroneously assuming that an April allocation meant the car would be completely built by end of April. I take it that a monthly build allocation at best only means the car will BEGIN to be built sometime from the first day of the relevant month to the last day. Thus, in my case, the factory conceivably may not begin building until April 30. Anyone have any insight into the mysteries of when factory production of a car begins for a monthly allocation? Thanks much.
    Hey decisions1...I spoke to my dealer about the build process. He said that an April build means that you are guaranteed that production will start sometime during April, could be April 1st or April 30th. They do not specify an exact day. Once they start building the car, it takes appx 10 days to complete. Hope this helps.
  • porsche_scottporsche_scott Member Posts: 3
    Decisions1,

An April allocation is only a slotted production month. Usually, the production will end within the alllocation month of the unit. Once the vehicle is completed, it will be shipped to Port and await shipping. The car could sit there for approx a week until loaded. Shipping takes approx. 10-14 days depending on weather conditions. Once they land state-side they will go through an inspection process and load onto a truck in about 4-5 days. Depending on what port of entry the ship landed, the truck could take up to 5 days to gett to the dealer. Therefore, the car should deliver by the middle of the following Month (May) or the latter half of the month.

Hope this helps in your understanding!!