Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

DODGE DAKOTA QUAD CAB

Comments

• jeffb1jeffb1 Member Posts: 42
    Folks,

Anyone had a problem with the battery dying on their trucks soon after purchase. I've had my truck 2 months, and have only put 1600 miles on it, and last week I went to start it and the battery was completey dead - no chiming, no interior lights, radio - anything! I was able to jump it and it seems to have held a charge since then, but it struck me as odd. I double-checked that I hadn't left anything electrical on.
    Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

BTW, other than this concern, the truck is amazing! I previously owned a 1990 Tacoma 4x4 and a '97 F150 XLT V8 4x4. This one is by far my favorite of the 3.

Jeff
    2002 QC 4x4
  • jettug1jettug1 Member Posts: 8
    I have 26k on my qc. The only problem I have had with the truck is the slow development of after market bolt on performance products from K&N and such. I am getting 18 to 20 mph w/ K&N filter, Tornado inline vortex generator and flowmaster dual pipes.(sounds as good as a big block v-8) As far as the price I got my qc for $500 less than a used 2001 double cab tacoma. 235 hp stock compared to 190 on the toyota and the fuel savings is minimal. The cab size of the toyota does not compare to the dodge. Room, power and looks go to the dodge.
  • ford_biiford_bii Member Posts: 120
    Jettug1: do you have the OEM replacement filter, or the conical filter retro-fit? Also, is your mileage highway, city, or mixed? Do you use the computer to calculate your mileage, or the pump? (big difference for me, usually 3 miles less per gallon when I calculate it myself) Did the Tornado actually make any difference in milage? I have heard (like everything too good to be true) they don't do squat.
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Jeff, I had this happen on my 1995 Dakota and on our 1999 Wrangler. With the Dakota, the battery (young as it was) had to be replaced. The Jeep had
    loose battery connections and was not taking a charge even though the voltmeter indicated that it was charging. Just not getting back into the battery. Just a thought.

Bookitty
    The K&N is an oem because they haven't developed the modified intake as of yet. They said in an e-mail to me they were working on it. Very slight increase in mileage. Also a little deeper exhaust sound indicating better intake flow from the tornado. Seems to have a little better power above 2500 rpm. And I calculate mileage at the pump the old fashioned way.Hope that answers your questions.
  • surffla1surffla1 Member Posts: 52
    digipix,
    With me it came down to the Taco Quad vs. Dak Quad. Had the Tundra come in a true quad it might have been a little tougher choice but probably still would have gone with the Dak. Main reason: I love to drive and to me the true driving experience comes from manual shifting. I can not say enough good things about the 4.7 manual in the quad. My wife hates trucks. She drove manual Honda's throughout college and law school. She drove my truck for the first time the other day and was amazed at how smooth and easy it was to shift my rig! Neither the Taco nor the Tundra can be had with a manual. Second: I admit I am a sucker for looks. Taco quad=ugly. Tundra=grandpa styling. Dodge truly built excitement with the Dak Quad. I think it looks better than the 02 Ram and if this M-80 concept is where the next Dak is going my current Dak will be staying in my garage. Yes, the little angel on my right shoulder kept repeating in my ear, "Toyota quality, Toyota quality" but the little devil on my left shoulder kept saying "fun, sun, surf, sand, girls, se_, rock-n-roll get the Dakota!" I read the brake horror stories. It was a risk I was willing to take. The devil made me do it! Granted at this point my 02 Quad 2wd, HD, Tow, LSD, T&A (oops I mean T&H)has only 2,500 miles so far. Will I be singing the same song at 25,000?, 50,000?, 100K? I am actually a pretty conservative driver and am anal when it comes to regular maintenance. I plan on going w/Mobil 1. Will this all make a difference? Time will tell. So far no problems. Gas mileage city w/frequent short runs during the day @17-18 mpg. Base stereoCD system is surprisingly killer (and thats coming from a Alpine in my last car, will probably still go aftermarket but no rush). Bottom line, go with your heart not your head. My .02 cents.
  • digipixdigipix Member Posts: 5
    I'm in the same boat as you, I really like the Dakota Quad Cab, from a looks standpoint, and from a features one. On one side I've got a voice saying, "Go for Toyota Quality, what'r you thinking!?" while on the other side I'm hearing "Way cool truck, lots of power, great seating, way fun!" I wish I didn't have the Dodge reliability question hanging over my head!
  • furrydog1furrydog1 Member Posts: 35
    I too was is the same exact predicament as surrfla1. The only difference was that my wife went with her heart and I wanted to go with my head. The looks and size were the biggest factors in her decision over the Toyota. Three people can actually confortably fit in the back of the QUAD. We have 2500 miles on the truck and haven't had any major problems yet. Several times we had a problem starting the truck and had to actually depress the gas pedal to the floor to get it started. After reading these message boards I am a little apprehensive about what the Dakota has in store for us as the years go by. I am afraid that my standards are a little high as I still drive my '86 4Runner to work everyday and have never really put a lot of mainteneance into it. We plan on keeping the Dakota for at least 10 years so I am hoping for the best.

Ohh, by the way. The current promo for the 7 year powertrain warranty may add a sense of reassurance when deciding between the Taco and the QUAD.
  • dwoutersdwouters Member Posts: 2
    Sorry, y'all..

I'm in the market for a Dakota, but I just can't bring myself to get a 4-door truck after spending every waking/non-working hour watching MSNBC cover the Taliban bouncing around in 4-door pickups.. Granted, they ain't Dakotas, but they still look too similar for my tastes.

From what I'm reading, it sounds like the brakes are a little light-weight, and the fuse for the brake-lights goes out, and mileage is an issue.. is that a common consensus?

By the way, I've also read that some people are complaining about 5-Star dealerships. Lemme tell you about my own experience.

My wife and I bought a Grand Caravan a few years back and after about a year, we noticed a reddish drip on our driveway. uh-oh. I've had experience with Dodge transmissions before. Off to the dealership. That afternoon, I get a call from them.
    "Sir, we found out that your hoojie-dingy seal is leaking. Since you are still under warranty, we're going to go ahead and rebuild your transmission to avoid any other problems in the future. If you come in, we'll provide you with a free rental car for the time it takes to fix your van."

After that, the things run like a champ.

If you have problems with a particular Dodge dealership, go to another one. Lord knows in today's economy, customer service has (or at least SHOULD) take a higher priority.
  • nerdnerd Member Posts: 203
    I am about ready to dump my 2000 GMC Sierra due to numerous problems in only 18 months of ownership. This time I am considering compact trucks (except anything GM). I have no brand loyalties, but I want an extended or crew cab that is solid and reliable. I need something with a six-cylinder engine and manual trans.

I guess all of you are Dakota Quad owners. I would appreciate your comments on why you selected a Dakota.
  • mtrialsmmtrialsm Member Posts: 159
    I've owned my new Quad for 1 year (9800 miles),
    Our other car is a '98 Toyota van. So yes my
    choices were Toyota 1st, then there was that
    GREAT looking Quad Dakota? I've never wanted
    a Chrysler product since owning a '67 Barracuda!

At the time I owned a '86 Nissan model 720 king-cab pickup. The Tundra was too big, but I wanted
    a larger truck (and newer). I drove the Toyota
    double cab (I wanted to like it so much), but
    the interior was so small and cramped in all
    departments, and I'm only 5'8". I drove the Quad,
    very nice, but did I want to buy a DODGE?
    I took my wife and we test drove the Toyota and
    Dodge back to back, she hated the Tacoma and we're
    both Toyota lovers! "If we buy a new truck it has
    to be the 2001 Quad!" We picked the color (white
    w/silver bottom) and ordered it. At the time the
    $2000.00 + another $500 from Farm Bureau sure helped seal the deal! Well, I've had no problems
    (other that a poping front end, which is less now?) Bottom line is I LOVE this truck, I hope it's good to me for at least 7 or 8 years. I plan
    on purchasing the extended warrentee one day soon.
    I drive the Quad to work once a week, use it on the weekends for pleasure, carry my Gas Gas trials
    motorcyle to events, the extra room in the back seat is great! The fold "up" seats sure beat
    Toyota's fold "down" seats!
    I use 5w-30 Mobil 1 or AmsOil. (I've used Amsoil
    for many years) Sometimes I can get Mobil on sale
    cheaper then dealer costs on AmsOil.
    My brother-in-law's 4x4 Quad's front rotors are
    shot, at 25K miles.
    I've added a bed mat, tale gate mate, door seal
    protectors, Dodge slush mats, fender flares,
    wind-ventalators, built a pvc bed extender thanks to "ahasher".
    I'll post pics one day?
    Sorry for the long response. I'm keeping my fingers crossed,,,I own a Chrysler product:)
    Mick
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    for a "6" is if I absolutely could not swing the few hundred extra for a small V8. Or if I wanted the "stick" that bad ad couldn't get it with the 8. There just isn't enough difference in mpg and there IS a big. diff. in power, which makes for a more enjoyable overall driving experience.
  • ckmccoy5ckmccoy5 Member Posts: 24
    a 2001 QC tomorrow (Tues) at an auction...A few questions: What is the preferred engine/axle combo? I do not go offroad - lots of highway driving. Is leather available? Is 4x4 a necessity for winter? (I'm in Michigan). Many thanks...
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Michael, your first question regarding preferred engine transmission is a bit subjective. By far, the most popular and best regarded engine is the 4.7 V-8. The transmission could be the new automatic or the 5 speed manual (preference issue.
    As far as gear ratio is addressed, if you are doing heavy duty towing, the 3.92 is preferable (also, if you are interested in off the line acceleration). For most applications, the 3.55 is the "bread and butter" ratio. In MI, I would want nothing but a 4X4 (spent lots of time in the UP) and I always insist on a limited slip differential as well. As said, much of this is purely subjective. Good luck.

Bookitty
  • steve234steve234 Member Posts: 460
    While there are some disappointed buyers, I have had little problem with my 01 after 33k. Brake warping is a problem many have had, but I have heard the same complaint for almost all other vehicles built in the past few years. I love my Quad, but I have an advantage in that the 5-star dealer I use, earns the ranking. Anyone buying a truck should shop the dealer as well as the vehicle.
  • decentman4youdecentman4you Member Posts: 27
    and yes I do read this :-)

Hey!! this dont work BPeebles

#1144 of 1315 I WAS JUST TESTING YOU by bpeebles Oct 11, 2001 (05:55 pm)

To see if anyone actually reads my appends.

The outfit that is developing the TRUE cold-air intake for the 4.7L is at the following URL.

This is the ONLY intake I know of that actually sucks from OUTSIDE the engine bay.

http://members.home.net/blhamm/coldair.htm

Hey!! this dont work BPeebles

http://members.home.net/blhamm/coldair.htm

Sorry! The page you requested is not in service

The Possible causes:

If you typed in the URL, please check for typos.

If you clicked on a member's homepage and got this error, please notify the owner of that page.

Thank you for using @Home WebSpace -- members.home.net!

that went kaput? My excite.com account has been screwed up ever since!
    I recently saw an ad in one of my magazines for a 4.7 intake. I'll have to see if I can find it again. Probably in Sport Truck.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    I do not know where it moved to but you could try emailing the person. When I emailed him, He seemed to be excited about the product but it was not ready for market yet.

Perhaps somone else in Edmunds has his email saved and can find out where the webpage moved to.
    and wouldn't waste the money again. I'd go with just the K&N filter first. On a '99 it was dyno tested at a 10 hp and 20 ft lbs increase. The sucking air sounds good. I lost about 1.5 to 2 mpg around town with it on. But this could all be different on a Dodge. This weekend will by first road trip since I took it back off so see how it comes out.
  • gator72gator72 Member Posts: 115
    I just installed a grill on the lower section of my front bumper and it looks great. (I have an '01 QC SLT-Plus with H/D and T&H package; 4.7L auto tranny, 14K miles).

I found it at http://grillcraft.com but had to order it from their distributer in San Diego. The total price with shipping was $119.00. Several other companies offer these grilles but none look as good; and none offer the on-line instructions showing how to install it.

If I knew how to post a photo here I would. If someone will let me know how to do it, I will.

FYI: I decided to install the grille as a protector for the radiator and the A/C thing. I was noticing a lot of pings in the fins from road debris. It was just a matter of time before something sharp got up in there; if you know what I mean.

In October of 2000, I bought a new '01 QC SLT-Plus with HD and T&H package, 4.7L, auto tranny, sliding rear window, folding mirrors, buckets and metal folding tonneau cover; white with light beige interior. I just rolled up on 14K.

Would I do it all over again? Absolutely! In spite of a few small problems, there is nothing on the market that comes close; big engine, roomy inside, quality, fit and finish. In over 30 years of buying vehicles (yes, I am that old), I have found that none are perfect; whether it is Dodge, GM, Ford, Toyota, Mazda or Nissan.

I see a lot of posts by other members with similar problems. For "newbies" reading these posts, do not get the wrong idea. I believe most of the other members would also buy another Dakota.
  • guiverguiver Member Posts: 1
    I ordered a quad cab from Jefferson, Pa two weeks ago. I understand that all dakotas are assembled in Warren, MI and that the quad is the most popular truck in assembly at the moment. Can anyone who has recently ordered a quad cab shed some light as to how long you had to wait for your truck to be delivered? Thanks.
    I live in east central Florida. I was told 6 weeks and damn if it wasn't six weeks on the button. Maybe shorter wait for you since shorter distance?

Please tell us why you opted for the Dakota over other options. The Dak. bashers have been very active lately. We need some good press. On that note the most recent Truck Trend garage section has a piece on brake problems with.........Toyota Tundra! I will post details on this soon, got to hit the road for now. Good luck with your Quad Cab!
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    My son has a 1991 Dakota with 240,000 miles on the original drive train. Yes, he's had some problems with it. One water pump, radiator, battery, 2 sets of shocks. The General Motors built rack-and-pinion steering units go bad every 80K. But he's only put 2 sets of rotors on it and he's never touched the front-end components. In terms of overall cost he's got less than $2500 in repairs. There's one spot on the entire truck that's rust perforated, and that's on the tailgate. Around here (Western New York State) you see a lot of Dakotas and only see serious rust on the mid-1980s built. Comparatively, Dakota's appear to be superior in this area.

What you're going to see here in these posts are angry Dakota or ex-Dakota owners who want others to hate Dakota's just as much as they do. That goes for non-owning Chevy, Ford, Toyota lovers as well. You're also going to see others who are so in love with their Dakotas that nothing can ever be said bad about them.

My advice, read between the lines....carefully!

Dusty

P.S. We have a 1999 Avalon with 38K and were on the second set of rotors. Everytime I'm at my Toyota dealer's I see nothing but Tundras in for service. I've seen one already getting a warranty transmission replacement. Lot's of brake problems with them, according to my Toyota Tech. My daughter has a 1998 Ford Explorer with 80K and 6 sets of rotors and brakes. She's spent enough money on brakes alone to buy two transmissions rebuilds!
    my '72 Demon (great car). I seriously considered a QC Dakota in '01 but I just couldn't get as comfortable in it as in my '99 Sierra. I never actually drove one, but everything I had read at the time and evrything else I could see (and feel) I liked. I passed on a Ford S'Crew for the same reason. Maybe it's just a matter of having to get used to it but I ended up with an '01 Sierra. And unlike many I'm not disappointed. I still like the Dakota and there may still be one in my future.
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    "read between the lines....carefully". I've been driving for 38 years and I've owned Ford, Chevrolet, Pontiac, Mercury, Dodge, Toyota and Nissan. If money was no object I would be driving a Chevy Suburban. Unfortunately I can't get past the purchase price and the POOR gas mileage. We have worn out 4 3/4 ton Chevy Suburbans and 1 1 ton GMC Crew Cab here at work and have NEVER been stranded because of a breakdown and we don't baby our vehicles. However Gas mileage has never exceeded 13.5mpg (interstate at 65 steady )and is usually closer to single digit.
    I bought a Quad cab as a compromise. I needed a passenger car that could carry 4 adults comfortably but liked the ability of being able to carry cargo or a large dog in the bed of a pickup (with a camper shell). I felt that the 2000 Quad Cab was the best compromise of what was available for what I was willing to spend (we have a fleet of 4 vehicles right now, Dakota, 2 Neons and a Nissan Altima, all have been reliable and generally satisfying to own). I don't drive as aggressively as in my younger days and consequently I have less problems with items prematurely wearing out and my gas mileage is also much better. My Dakota in 21 months of ownership has been virtually trouble free. I've noticed that there are some people who have axes to grind and hammer away at the problems they have with their vehicles, over and over till you just ignore their headers and skip to the next message. It is not just Dodge, you can see it to a certain extent in all the forums, including the German and Japanese Luxury vehicles. The original group of people who started this forum were a support group for people ordering and waiting for their "brand new Quad Cab". The general tone of the forum has been changing as the "old-timers" gradually fade away and the newcomers bring their own agenda. Not complaining, just stating my observations over the past 2 years. Rick
  • mopar67mopar67 Member Posts: 728
    Try paying 22K for a truck that averages a trip to the service bay about every 1 1/2 months. I hate to mention this, but that is NOT acceptable especially since I am the poor slob who has to make payments every month and still deal with the problems.
    You stated you have had no problems, congrats and I am happy for you. You are one of the lucky ones. I just wish I had your luck on my Dak.

Maybe the tone of this forum is changing because a younger group has higher expectations for our hard earned money and DC might very well be cutting costs in the hopes that no one will notice or care. In other words, perhaps the build quality of Daks has been going downhill.
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    You weren't the person I had in mind when I wrote the above message.

I feel sorry for your bad luck with your Dakota.

Point I was making was when this group started, actually I mean the owners forum for the Dakota Quad Cab, we were like kids waiting for their first date.

Lots of expectations of wonderful things. We supported each other while impatiently waiting for our trucks to be built. We bought our trucks without benefit of rebates other than Farm Bureau membership.

Now the first date is over, we are married and like real marriages there are troubled ones, some leading to divorce. I don't understand the love turned to hate relationship because I fortunately have not experienced it in any of my relationships.

I do agree that there seems to have been corner cutting and also I seem to perceive more problems being reported for the newer Quads.

I am not defending Chrysler or the Dakota but rather trying to point out that the problems being complained about the Dakota are not unique to just the Dakota.
    Some of the problems are industry wide and some are directly related to government regulations.

For example the removal of asbestos from brake pads which is directly related current brake problems.

Another example is the problem in the late 80s/early 90s with paint peeling that is directly related to government/EPA regulations.

Can Dodge build a better Dakota? I'm sure they can.

Does luck play an important part in Dakota ownership? Apparently it does, just look at henne if you want to see bad luck, 3 problem Dakotas in a row.
    Henne reminds me of the character in the L'il Abner comic strip from years ago that walked around with a small cloud over his head that was always raining on him.

Dealership can also make or break your happy relationship. I have 2 dealers I work with, one is 5 star and the other is aspiring for 5 star status. Both have provided quality service when required so I'm doubly lucky.

Keep in mind that we here in the forum can only offer support, we cannot change your vehicle or your relationship with your dealer. If we can offer constructive help we do, however, like a constantly nagging wife or a whining child, a constant source of negative input gets tuned out or gets non supportive replies.

Its human nature!

I can only suggest if you can't get the dealership to address your problems with your brakes you might try another dealership.

Correspondence with Chrysler might help however I doubt you will have much success in that approach.

You might also have to bite the bullet, find a good independent shop and get your brakes fixed with aftermarket parts, than maybe take Chrysler to small claims court.

I'm sorry you can't enjoy the same relationship with your Dakota that I am currently enjoying with mine. Rick

ps I feel like a marriage counselor
  • hennehenne Member Posts: 407
    Gee thanks. Actually thats what everyone says about me. I can attest as much or more as anyone that the Dakota has its problems but I agree so does everyone else. But I will admit I am going to do what the local DC rep has suggested and that is to cut my losses and buy something other than Dodge next time. (True words out of his mouth.) Its too bad that the truck is so perfect in so many ways but the ones that allow me to do my job effectivley and safely. (Safety reference to dying in traffic 3 times since may and brakes getting mushy and not stopping like it should. parts on order for the brake part)

I for one have tried to be supportive of everyone here, and to give more honest rather than emotional answers on here but I will admit a few times I have vented and I believe most times I admit in my postings that it it just that, venting.

So, as my storm cloud has taken position over my head, I can be an optomist and just be thankful that with all this stormy weather above me, thankfully the birds arent pooing on me too. hahaha

The wet one.

Robert
  • zonkzonk Member Posts: 208
    Well, I guess I'm lucky I don't have a little cloud over my head, but I got your birds! (or rather their poo).
    By the way, the only gripe I have had is a brake squeal at times. Three times into the shop to have it checked because I don't like paying this much for something irritating. Both the 5-star Chrysler and the regular (no-star?)Dodge dealer say there is no problem with any of the brake equipment. OH, and for some reasom can't get 5w-30 oil, both used 10w-30.
  • steve234steve234 Member Posts: 460
    If a dealer told me that he couldn't get the required 5w30 that the manual calls for, I sure would get another dealer. I had a mechanic tell me recently that they were out of my oil and that I had to use something else or come back another day. After the manager and I had a little talk, the only thing it cost me was an extra few minutes wait while the oil was delivered.
    Sorry if I ranted but before I typed up my manifesto, I was informed by my dealer that no, sir, your truck is NOT ready. Seems they've had a slight issue with the steering knuckle in that in the process of removing the caliper, they stripped off the bolt and are awaiting a new knuckle to replace it. They are also baffled by a situation called "caliper flex" which they believe is causing the pads to shift when I step on the brake thus the loud clunk. SIgh......OH@
    the good news is this, they found a TSB for flashing the TCM (not PCM see if anyone is paying attention!) that "enhances shift quality" of the 45RFE!!!!!! Woooooo hoooooooo man did I almost do a back flip right then and there!
    WOw, does this mean I will have to eat my words I have uttered about that monstrosity of a transmission? DOes this mean FINALLY I can drive and not have coffee spilled on me on the 2-3 upshift? WIll I still cringe when the tach hits 2700 and ready to hit 3rd gear?
    Oh, the dreams I have.....of smooth solid shifts...of not hearing my poor 9.25 axle taking a beating from the xmission.....oh dear whatever will I do?
    THe possibilities...................

Stay tuned.
  • qc2001qc2001 Member Posts: 30
    havn't posted in a long time but i plan to catch up. 01 dak, 4x4, 4.7 auto., 28000 mi and little problems. new rotors once but learned my lesson about just whipping into the car wash, allow your rotors to cool first!!! anyways lesson learned. i have a grinding noise in the right front while turning right and is very pronounced under parking/sharp turning manuvers. any help is appreciated. i just can't read all 1333 posts. i am hoping that there are still informative people on this site. i remember the days of the amberfire back order(wish i could remember your handle.) love this truck. evan
    I've been reading these posts for about 1 1/2 years; prior to and after arrival of my 01 QC. Iowabuggy is right, lots of folks seem to have drifted off. Seems to have fallen off dramatically after Edmunds changed the access method to this part of the website - got more difficult 'til I figured out a shortcut.

About to roll up on 15k; still love my QC. But, wish I could get the idle to stay above 500 rpm when stopped at a redlight (A/C not on) (auto tranny in D). If I tap the gas, it comes back up to @ 600. If I move steering wheel, idle drops below 450 then bounces back up to @600. When A/C is on, it stays at 750; never deviates. My 5-Star dealer told me a couple of months ago that I was overfilling the gas - something about gas getting into the recovery cannister. I've never overfilled; and, have been EXTRA careful since last visit. I believe that something is sticking OR its a computer thing.

Does anyone out there have any ideas or suggestions to improve idle?
    I had this same problem with my 2000, 4.7, auto and now with my 2001, 4.7, auto. My dealer has said over and over that a flash should fix it. Well it usually does but once the truck learns its and my habits it goes right back again.

So as far as I can figure, update, update and update again. I have thought about unhooking the battery and see if that would reset everything back to default. If it would, I wouldnt have to go to the dealer 3 or so times a year (Amoungst other things) for an update. Anyone else have ideas on this?

Thanks and good luck,

Robert
    Mopar67,

Read your post about the TSB for flashing the TCM. Did you happen to get the TSB number? If so, would you post it for the rest of us?

THANKS,
    ahahser had a similar issue and he has the TSB for this, my dealer neglected to put that on there.

Ahasher?
    Well im not sure of the TSB number but my service manager said he is expecting a new flash this week. I am scheduled to go in to finish my issues when it comes out. I will let everyone know what info I can get out of him.

Robert
    Wow my last post really generated some responses! Anyway the info. on the Tundra brake problems is in the March/April edition of Truck Trends Garage section. Rear brake vibration on 2000 and 2001's. Perhaps the difference between Toyota and DC is that Toyota has at least acknowledged that the problem exists and has issued a TSB. According to TT though even after the prescribed repair, some trucks still exhibit the vibration. I commented on this not to bash Toyota but to back up some of the Dak defenders who have stated that no vehicle is perfect. At least Toyota is working to alleviate the problem. The real question we should be discussing here is how widespread is the Dak brake problem and what does it take to get either a TSB or recall? To all you brake sufferer's out there I would be more than happy to do my part (sign the petition?) to help. I'm still a new owner though and knock on wood no problems yet. Is there an industry standard for how and when a TSB must be issued? a government standard?
  • slr9589slr9589 Member Posts: 121
    Hey Guys,
    Has anyone experience with the Dayton Timberline series of tires ? They make an A/T and H/T series that I am considring for my 00 QUAD.
    Thanks,
  • ahasherahasher Member Posts: 236
    ok been lurking for a while but here is the idle TSB that cured my (our) roaming and unpleasant idle problem. Been almost a year and no return of the symptoms..

A direct quote from my service receipt;

CAUSE: FLASH MODULE
    08194496 VEHICLE PERFORMANCE; COLD START
    HESITATION - TSB 18-08-96
    152 W40
    1 4275086 LABEL - GENERAL INFORMATION
    1 4669020 LABEL - AUTHORIZED SOFTWARE
    FC: FM
    PART # 4275086
    and at the bottom:
    26306 (CHK IDLE) FLASH MODULE 08194496 .5 TSB 18-01-01 FLASHED POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE.

good luck
  • clk323clk323 Member Posts: 5
    I've got a 2001 QuadCab 4WD with 11,500 miles. My only complaint is a clunking noise coming from the front end when I make left turns or hit bumps. Dealer told me
    they "think" it's due to the torsion bar not "floating" like it is supposed to. Their
    solution is to remove the torsion bars, apply anti-seizing lubricant and reinstall them.
    I was told this should "minimize" the problem. Anyone have similar problems?
    Otherwise very satisfied with the truck.
    I had a very similar problem with my '01 QC SLT-Plus, 4.7 with T&H pack, and HD pack; (auto tranny and rear drive). Every time I made a slow right turn, I'd get a popping or clunking noise at the front.

After several trips to my 5-star dealer, they replaced all of the bushings on the front torsion (stabilizer) bars. Dealer said bushings for that model with torsion bars were defective during that time frame. Mine was built in Sept. 2000.

Most of the noise is gone now. However, sometimes when going at slow speeds, I hear a slight noise coming from the driver's side front when I apply the brakes; (like metal straining under pressure).

GOOD LUCK!
  • eagleeye13eagleeye13 Member Posts: 29
    After driving a '98 Dakota SLT 5.2, 5spd,3.55 LSD
    for 78,000 mi. and counting. I ordered my Quad for $200.00 over Dealer INV.
    The only differance will be 4 doors. Then I'll add spray on bed liner and tonneau cover. Once I get my add ready I'll add a pic of '98 in owners site. Then one of QC when I get it.
    Dealer said 6-10 weeks, if time is same as '98 it'll be about 4 week's.
    Has anyone put oversized tires on a QC with the 3.55 LSD 4.7 5spd ? On my '98 I'm running 30-9.50x15 on two piece American Racing wheels. This set up has been pretty good with the 5.2, 3" dynamax cat back exh., K&N filter.

sorry for the long post,
  • beatwisebeatwise Member Posts: 2
    Well, after 10 years in a little Mazda pickup with no A/C, no PS, no frills... I've gotten my first brand new car, the '02 Dakota QC SLT Plus, and so far I'm beyond pleased. Of course, I've been reading of a few issues and if something happens, I'll at least have a clue! Meanwhile, I'll be enjoying a cool V-8 in the Southern California heat.

Dave
  • jebsdaddyjebsdaddy Member Posts: 52
    Welcome to the club beatwise
  • beatwisebeatwise Member Posts: 2
    This is a very minor thing to get excited about, but I just discovered my stock CD deck (RBK) plays CD-RWs which I can burn on my computer.
    Pretty cool.
  • furrydog1furrydog1 Member Posts: 35
    I was about 2 days away from giving a glowing update on my '02 4.7, 4wd, auto QC but then my check engine light came on this morning at 4800 miles. Unlike a lot of posts here I haven't had many problems except for a minor starting problem (only happens in really cold weather). I was getting ready to gloat when that little engine icon went on in the instrument panel. I have read that it can be caused by a loose gas cap so I immediately checked that, but the light stayed on. I have heard that it is usually a simple computer adjustment by the tech's but it is still annoying that I have to take the time to bring it to a dealership. I have an appointment Friday so hopefully it will be a minor adjustment. Other than that I am really stoked about this truck (this coming from a Toyota diehard). Perfect size, great looks and plenty-o-power. Haven't even bothered to check the gas mileage, but then again I probably don't want to know.
    BTW, for any of you new '02 owners who haven't changed the oil yet...have fun getting the factory filter off. I also recommend using the 2 liter bottle approach to catch the oil from the filter. Works great.
  • sunburnsunburn Member Posts: 319
    (furrydog1) - There are a couple of things to do. You can get the OBD error code out by switching the ignition on and off three times very fast, ending in the on position. This will cause the error code to be displayed in the odometer. Be patient. It may take a few times to do it just right (at least it did for me). After the last code is displayed, a "PdonE" will be displayed. The error codes can be decoded by looking at

http://autorepair.about.com/library/ts/bl-obd-main.htm

If it is showing a small leak in the evaporative emissions system, it is usually (at least according to my dealer) a one time occurrence where a fault was detected. To test this, you can clear the check engine light by removing the negative battery cable and switching the ignition to on for 30 sec. If after restarting the engine, the check engine light stays off, you should be good to go. If the check engine light comes back on and the same code is displayed, then a trip to the dealer may be in order. At about 4000 miles, my 2002 QC had the check engine light pop on. After going through the hassle of taking it to the dealer, they told me that it was a small problem in the evaporative emissions system that happened once, 39 starts ago. Apparently, it takes something like 50 starts to clear out a one time error from keeping the check engine light on. So, without disconnecting the battery, it may take a while for the check engine light to go out on its own. Hope this helps.

This discussion has been closed.