Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen TDI Models Prices Paid

Comments

• al63017al63017 Member Posts: 149
    24150.00 paid sticker was 25514.00.

Drove Hondas for years traded 08 Accord this car is much quieter, just a tight and good of fit and finish. Getting over 40 mpg on highway was 44 last trip. Upper 30;s combined city/highway. Did tons of research before buying and drove 4 other cars and had no history with prior Jetta so not hating the new body style and TDI is loaded so happy with what I have and see of the inside and outside. Drove in slippery snowy conditions this morning and it was GREAT. See my post in 2011 Jetta about driving in snow.
  • tdidsg2011tdidsg2011 Member Posts: 1
    I was quoted the following for a TDI 2 door golf and GTI lease in NY

TDI Golf 2 door: The money factor 0.00179 and residual for 36 months 15k is 0.50

GTI 2 door: The money factor for the GTI is 0.00081 and the residual for 15k is 0.53 for 36 months
  • maigremaigre Member Posts: 16
    edited January 2011
    There's a loaner 2011 JSW TDI on a nearby VW lot that has about 7500 miles on it. It's being sold as new. Seems to me that since new ones can be gotten for < MSRP, that this should go for at least 2K less. Maybe more. But I don't really know.

Any ideas on that or on buying a loaner in general?

Thanks.
    I wrote above that "new ones can be gotten for invoice. And the further discount should be below that. So if this car truly new costs @ $27000, then would a reasonable price be around $23K? Or somewhere else?
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    It is hard for me to imagine a dealer using a TDI Sportswagen as a loaner. It could be one someone had lots of trouble with and they bought it back. I would have to get a heck of a deal like you mentioned under $23k to be tempted. Plus I would get the 7 year extended Bumper to Bumper warranty as well.
    Good points. Thanks.

I may have been wrong about it being a loaner. I asked further and the claim was that the car was driven for all those miles by the dealer owner or someone high on the totem pole. Whether that's true or not and how that person treated the car, I have no idea.

I think I'll stay away.
    Finding VW TDIs in CA with 7501 miles was common before the new generation. You could legally buy a VW TDI that was used from about 2003-2009. The only rule was the vehicle had to have at least 7500 miles. Many dealers were buying low mile TDIs and bringing them to California and selling them for more than they sold for new in some other state.
  • mike_in_nepamike_in_nepa Member Posts: 16
    My family is considering leasing two TDI vehicles. We're looking at a 2011 Sportwagen TDI and a 2011 Golf TDI. What are the money factors on the Golf TDI and the Sportwagen TDI? What are the residuals for the Sportwagen TDI on a 36 month lease at 12K miles a year, and the Gold TDI on a 36 month lease with 15K miles a year? Thanks in advance.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217
    Hi mike...

I saw you found the Golf Lease Questions discussion. There is a another one for the Jetta. If you post your question there, Car_Man will see it, and post an answer for you.

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host - Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mikeandmarymikeandmary Member Posts: 1
    Hi Mike,
    Same experience here except more extreme. We were baited in with a low price quote through Edmonds.
    On ours, Suntrup started out 6,000.00 over what they had quoted and 3,000.00 over msrp.
    They sent us an e-mail stating they had 6 base TDI Sportwagens on their lot starting at $23,332.00. My wife and I drove to St .Louis that morning and were shown the two least expensive ones they had at $29,xxx.00 and $28,xxx.00 plus we were given the added benefit of being treated like we were stupid.
    Missouri Better Business Bureau rates Suntrup VW at solid F.
    I wish I had know this before we wasted our time.
    Hopefully your bad experience will alert others to avoid said dealership. I have bought several vehicles at varying distances from home. I find forcing them to give you a cash out the door price in an email is the best way to avoid the hassles. If they refuse tell them you have 47 other states and 1000s of dealers to choose from. On hard to find vehicles it is best to have a copy of the window sticker with VIN so they don't pull a fast one. My experiences have been positive. I don't do well waiting for some low level salesman to jack me around with the manager in another room. I say bring him in and lets get this done or I am out of here. NEVER let them know you love the car.
  • mnr49mnr49 Member Posts: 7
    Just closed a deal for a 2011 Jetta TDI DSG for 22646 and they threw in the rubber mat kit which invoices at 187. Black on black. Dealer is in NJ.
  • stableacresstableacres Member Posts: 1
    mnr49
    manual of automatic?
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    edited February 2011
    DSG is the "automatic" , aka direct shift gearbox, aka dual clutch pack sequential gear shift by computer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-Shift_Gearbox
    It is an automatic
  • cantare226cantare226 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2011
    MNR49 - What options did you get?

I just went into a Northern NJ VW dealer (bergen county) and they quoted me $27,685 for a TDI DSG with sunroof and tire package.
    Not sure what you mean by the tire package. It has the sunroof and satellite radio. Does not have navigation. That sounds like a high price. I bought mine at Hamilton VW in Hamilton NJ. Very easy to deal with.
  • chidrivechidrive Member Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing a VW Golf TDI, enjoyed the ride and I'm swayed by enviro. concerns. However, the higher price for diesel engines at purchase and the pump price (diesel is about $4/gal in Chicago) makes me want to back away. I keep my cars 8+ years and diesel seems like the best choice for the long run. I average 12,000 city miles/year.

I didn't see the Golf TDI on edmunds "best payback for hybrid/diesel" list and I am concerned.

Thoughts?
    chidrive
    edited March 2011
    What top 5 are you comparing? What did you have before? I just did a comparison between a 04 Civic and 03 Jetta TDI. Even as that is an apples to oranges comparison, @ like miles (120,000 miles) the Jetta TDI was app $4500 cheaper to run. Even as the Honda's (04 Civic's) reputation is absolutely sterling. I am absolutely satisfied with the Civic's numbers and performance for what I bought it for, commuting.

What Would It Take For YOU To Get a Diesel Car?
  • stackabonesstackabones Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2011
    I purchased a 2010 4dr manual Golf TDI last April. You need to consider this:

The extra price for the TDI is NOT simply for the TDI engine. The TDI has much nicer appointments (alloy wheels, larger tires, sporty suspension, better seats, etc.) as well. And when you consider the price of fuel, also realize that the price has been going up for both gas and diesel. My girlfriend has a 2009 gas Jetta Sportwagen. And while I pay more at the pump, she has to fill up more often than I do.

I love my TDI. It's fun, comfortable, and fuel efficient. I average 41 MPG on my trip to work and back each day. It's a combination of city and highway driving. On road trips, with air conditioning on, I've averaged 52 MPG. I've only averaged 9,000 miles this year.

"Study shows diesel engines recuperate extra cost quickly"
    link title

The only thing that you need to consider is the problem with the High Pressure Fuel Filter. See here for information:

"NHTSA is estimating that 0.53% of 2009 models (1 in 200) and 0.11% of 2010 models (1 in 1,000) have experienced these failures."
    link title

"This is the official thread for discussion of the fuel pump failure issue that is affecting a small number of 2009 and 2010 4 cylinder VW TDI engines."
    link title
    edited March 2011
    For sure they do not and it is not easy to do a like for like comparison. That is one reason why I focused on a like miles scheduled and unscheduled and cost of fuel comparisons. RUG Fuel per gal (to go 120,000 miles) almost always cost less per gal than diesel. On the other side, fuel to go 120,000 miles uses MORE fuel.

The "bling" aspect of the other stuff is important mostly to what makes you feel good while you do the miles(in my example 120,000 miles). Importantly it is either helpful or not, for the resale portion. The resale value of course lowers your per mile driven: depreciated (when you finally sell) You can see this in MB's and BMW used cars. Almost all are high quality but the resale values and percentages drop like rocks. Now TDI's have higher resale values both dollar wise and percentage wise over its gasser counter parts. Also in the example I gave it has higher $'s and more importantly percentage wise than the Civic (gasser)
    edited March 2011
    Indeed. It could also be a demo and/or (dealership) executive car. If one is truly interested in a car with 7,500 untitled (aka sold as new) you might wish to ask what incentives they are willing to do.
  • zambaqzambaq Member Posts: 14
    If the bulk of your driving is in the city, and if driving in Chicago is anything like it is in NYC (i.e. stop-stop-and-go, congested "express"ways, etc.), AND if MPG is your primary concern, then you should definitely go with a hybrid.

I live in New York, and while my '09 Jetta TDI gets great mileage (40+) on the open highway (outside the city), it averages only slightly above 20 when confined to the 5 boroughs. So far, despite the nagging worry about the fragile HPFP, I love my Jetta, but not enough to delude myself into believing that the EPA's city estimate is based on REAL city driving conditions.

Good luck!
    edited March 2011
    Actually the mpg for the Golf/Jetta ARE based on REAL world city driving conditions. While the bold print EPA miles are 29 C/ 40 h they are 24 to 34 city and 33 to 47 mpg highway.

While I am sure this is LONG since forgotten, when the 04 Prius came out the EPA was 60 city and 50 highway. I am guessing this motivated HUGE numbers of people to buy Prius. Not too long afterward, there was a great bru ha ha that mpg was MUCH lower than epa's of 60 c / 50 h. Politically, it caused the EPA to adopted an even more complex (more prone to error and favoring hybrids) test. Even today, you really can not get a real picture of what ACTUAL range really triggered the Prius owners (small but obviously vocal) discontent.

Because I was seriously interested in the 2004 Prius (@ one time), the best I could get was it was giving 46 to 48 mpg. This was app 5 mpg better than the 2003 Prius.

Again the real issue (other than fuel mileage) is the fact the real competition to the Jetta TDI (09) is really the Camry Hybrid. As such the Toyota is thousands more and the Jetta TDI gets better fuel mileage. A dot.gov site shows owners report an average of 3.6 mpg more than the Camry Hybrid owners.

So it would be interesting to see what you would get driving a Camry Hybrid in the 5 bouroughs. Or any thing else for that matter.
  • samm43samm43 Member Posts: 195
    Your city figure of 20 is too low. Something is definitely wrong with it. With a properly functioning 09 Jetta TDI, you couldn't get a figure as low as 20 in the city if you idled it for 10 minutes at every street light you encountered and floored it every time you left a light.

Sam
    Yes I would tend to agree. The worst I have ever gotten on 03 TDI Jetta was 44 mpg and it was in (tank full, not MFD) ) 300 miles stop and go traffic in down town Las Vegas with 4 people in the car, A/C blasting in 104 degrees ambient temperature.
    I'm sure you're correct about all your figures, but I'm just reporting my own experience, and even that sliding EPA city estimate of 24 to 34 would still leave me and my Jetta on the outside looking in. Perhaps the EPA should add another category especially for NY -- how about EXTREME City? :) (BTW, I don't think anyone would accuse me of being an aggressive driver, and if something were wrong with my particular car, why would it get such good mileage --up to 50 when I'm really trying-- on the highway?)

I don't agree that the '09 Jetta's real competition is the Camry. That might be true of the new, roomier 2011 Jetta, but my brother has a Camry, so it's easy for me to compare -- his car feels like a leviathan on the road, and mine more like a little darter! In any case, Chidrive is considering buying a Golf TDI, for which a Prius is a better comparison.

And I stand by my original assertion: that for someone interested in buying an "affordable" car for mainly CITY driving, and for whom MPG is the #1 priority, hybrid/electric is a better option (maybe 75% better even by your figures) than diesel.
    edited March 2011
    I just read them off the 09 Jetta TDI new car sticker. Power and such, the Camry Hybrid REMAINS the real competition. I think really what you probably want is a idle shut off diesel as they already have in the European market. I am sure you have been to Europe. Most taxi's are diesels!!??

I really think that if stop and go is the real meat and potatoes, you have to remember that NYC taxis were primarily V-8 Crown Vics. What did they get on a good day? 15 mpg? It also makes you wonder, if Prius's were so good, why did it take the NYC taxi community app 10 years to start to implement the brand as Taxi's? I have read in passing we are talking less than NYC taxis of 13,700 units. NY coruts have stopped the implementation of hbrids beyond 33%?

How many "TAXI's?
    Agreed that an idle shut-off would help mpg in NYC! Is that feature on the 2011 TDIs?
    You asked "if Prius's were so good, why did it take the NYC taxi community app 10 years to start to implement the brand as Taxi's?" Answer: the sluggishness of bureaucracy combined with our general resistance to the new. All things considered, I'm impressed that the city under Bloomberg started pushing for hybrid taxis as early as 2005 and that a third of all yellow cabs are now hybrids. (The courts haven't decided that 33% is the limit, only that the city cannot require all taxis be hybrid, which would mean setting a mandate in conflict with the Fed's.) Drivers and owners didn't get with the program until The Great Fuel Price Spike of'08, and now that we seem headed there again, Prius-driving cabbies are smiling "I told you so!" at their unconverted brethren.

BTW, I'm sure you noticed that the only diesel on that Wiki-list of "approved taxi models" was in fact the '09 Jetta TDI, but only twice have I actually spotted one dressed up as a yellow cab! The city has been on a quest to come up with a new, iconic taxi model to replace the disappearing Crown Vic and the late, lamented Checkers cabs, but I've been disappointed so far in the bug-eyed results. I think they should take a cue from London and go with a retro look, a design that references the Checkers models, something along the lines of the American-made Standard Taxi that was part of the Taxi 07 exhibit at the 2007 NY Auto Show.
    http://autoshow.autos.msn.com/autoshow/NewYork2007/photogallery.aspx?cp-document- id=4679493

Interesting to note that the very first motorized vehicles used as taxis in NYC were electric, especially given all the talk (110+ yrs. later) about the "taxi of the future" being an EV. Even VW is belatedly joining the party, though of course NOT in America....
    http://www.plugincars.com/vw-shows-plug-taxi-concept-london-reportedly-close-app- roving-production-106583.html

Happy Persian New Year!
    I am not sure why you glossed over the fact the NYC taxi community doesnt want to be "forced" mandated to do hybrid is probably what the Bloomberg admin would say, are much great costs. Again I would swag that is probably why most taxis in Europe are diesels, lower costs than gassers and gasser hybrids.
  • dobrovoddobrovod Member Posts: 15
    I decided to get a new Golf TDI but went with a stock model that will be available in 2-3 weeks instead of waiting 2-3 months on a custom build. The only items that I would have considered adding are splash guards and xenon headlamps. Does anyone know:

1. Can these be added by a dealer later with OEM parts?
    2. How much more do they cost than adding them as ordered options?

Thank you.
    With enough money, almost ANYTHING can be effected. Splash guards are an easy port to dealer oem like add on. I am sure you can get a price and get an independent (aftermarket) to do it FAR cheaper and probably a bit more to your likings and choices. As for the xenon headlamps, same thing.

Now personally, I would stay away from xenon head lamps and for a HOST of reasons. Without a huge discussion, current draw is already pretty massive. Also xenon lamp replacement costs are factorially higher than even the expensive oem stock. I think you'd be shocked if you ever had to replace a xenon lamp housing due to a wayward stone.
  • colin_lcolin_l Member Posts: 591
    That's the most absurd opinion I've heard in a while. With hundreds of thousands of miles on the road, I have absolutely never had a stone break any headlight of mine, friend or family.

HIDs conversely last the practical life of the car and give superior visibility that is very useful every night you drive.

I utterly disagree. I have HIDs now and could buy a car without them-- they aren't a must-have-- but they are high on my 'want' list.
    edited April 2011
    What is absurd, that I neither want or need them? What is absurd is you consider that absurd.

Then you should stifle your impatience and order them oem. I suppose if you drive mostly @ night or have night vision issues, they are indeed a help. They are a very low priority on my list.
  • vats69vats69 Member Posts: 1
    I have xenons on my 2011 Golf and love them. Had them on my BMW for 10 years and never had one burn out. The adaptive system on the Golf is great for improving night visibility in curves. I would highly recommend them if they fit your budget.
    I hate Xenon HIDS, and this is why. Hopefully they will be outlawed.

An analysis of automobile headlights, intraocular stray light, glare, and night driving shows that brightness rather than blueness is the primary reason for the visual problems that HID headlights can cause for older drivers who confront them. The increased light projected by HID headlights is potentially valuable, but serious questions remain regarding how and where it should be projected.

HID headlights probably improve the safety of night driving for their users. Unfortunately, they can dazzle viewers on two lane highways, making it more difficult for approaching drivers to identify pedestrians, road hazards, and curves in the road. Night-time driving is difficult for older individuals.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1771460/
    edited April 2011
    I think I'll stay away from the xenon headlamps for now. It doesn't seem worth the expense. I will have foglights for bad conditions.

There is a dealer around the corner from where we live. I'll just drive the car for a while without splash guards and see how dirty the door panels and back bumpers get. If I'm not happy without them, I'll inquire at my first regular maintenance.
    edited April 2011
    It would be also of interest to see what the NHTSA studies might hypothesize on the issue also. The Brit ophtho journal makes pretty clear the advantages to the HID user and the potential disadvantages to those affected by that user. Come to think of it, I have seen very few HID that are DRL's?? But then again the percentages of cars with HID's are fairly low.
    edited April 2011
    I was offered this car (Golf TDI, pretty much everything but nav, xenon headlamps and splash guards) for $25,900. Does that seem reasonable?

I also wish U.S. spec Golfs offered AWD and front and rear park assist as well but still alas no.
    The EU gets the hot rod Golf GTD. The reviews are very positive. Just not available to our third world country.

http://www.insideline.com/volkswagen/golf/2010/2010-volkswagen-golf-gtd-first-dr- ive.html
    edited April 2011
    I would go ahead and get the mud guards. They are not about keeping the side of the car clean (although they will to a certain degree depending on the roads/speeds you travel) but more about protecting the paint from chips coming off the tires at a pretty high rate of speed and chip-potential.

Have them installed by either the dealer (just negotiate this into your deal as a freebee as it does not take long at all) or a well recommended auto body shop that knows where and how far to drill (assuming drilling is even necessary?) etc.

I absolutely LOATHE HID lights. Probably wonderful for the owner until he or she has to share the road with another owner approaching them. The fun stops right there. But even still, is worse for the driver who doesn't have them and try to see the road in front of them or the shoulder looking for pedestrians walking too close to road in dark clothing. Etc. Bumpy, frost heaved roads just make them that much harder to live around. I am shocked they are allowed to be honest. I think it is the rich supporting the damn thing's momentum by demand, because in the beginning you only found them on the highest-end cars.

If a walking marathon were held to outlaw them, sign me up. I'd walk till my poor old legs buckled at the knees if I thought there was a chance in hell the banishment would stick. Yes, I really do hate them that much. :mad: (That's the first time I have ever used a 'mad' emotorcon).

Sam
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    As far as cost/performance/value, I recommend against xenons/HID, except for those who need them for the "status".
    I've owned a car with great adapative/levelling HIDs and still prefer halogens. The xenons never burned out but I heard it's possible and expensive if they do.
    edited April 2011
    What was absurd was the manner in which you defended your position. You said that you don't need or like them and then created a highly improbable scenario of replacing a HID lamp due to failure or breakage.

Anyway-- I have used OEM systems. They work great. I feel they are worth the premium, but each person needs to justify the expense on their own. (Especially if they are only available in a very costly bundle / package group.)

They can be bright for oncoming drivers, but let's not overlook how much brighter conventional halogen lamps are today than in years past. Today's well-designed halogen projectors and reflectors throw a very bright, very broad beam compared to cars in the 80s and 90s, which themselves were far improved on 60s technology. Halogen lights on a late-model vehicle can dazzle you, especially on taller vehicles. This isn't a situation unique to HIDs.

Aftermarket HIDs are horrible unless they replace the entire headlight assembly and they are properly aligned. Enthusiasts who toss a HID lamp into their stock equipment and point it at the moon are a much bigger problem than OEM Xenons.
    Aftermarket HIDs are horrible unless they replace the entire headlight assembly and they are properly aligned. Enthusiasts who toss a HID lamp into their stock equipment and point it at the moon are a much bigger problem than OEM Xenons.

I'll give you that for sure. And like you say tall vehicles like larger SUV's and pickup trucks even with OEM halogens, but especially an upgrade to Silverstars, are hard to take.
    Next worse are vehicles that have front end damage and the lights are way out of alignment and stay that way torturing other drivers for years.

Sam
    There was no position to defend. I said clearly, which you did not understand clearly was that was what I would do for me. So really the absurdity was your understanding, not any position you ascribed to me.
    edited April 2011
    Oh come on now. I saw that you wrote 'me personally' or something to that effect in the post in question.

And I realize we aren't behind podiums at a live debate, but the purpose of writing your opinions is for some sort of consideration by others. Otherwise they need not be written; if the only intended audience is you, what is all the typing for?

Notice how I'm not challenging the several people who also wrote that they haven't had a car with HIDs but agree with you that they don't need them, and that they are sometimes blinded by vehicles which presumably have them.

You may dislike them and that's fine. But they are not a maintenance or repair concern. :)
    edited April 2011
    Right, untill they are. Again that is also what I said. My left front drivers low beam worked just GREAT until, the lamp decided not to. As I remember, it was $5.00? to change the lamp. So at 158,000 miles the passenger low beam has been just fine.

Do I dislike HID's? NO !! I just realize I am not the only one on the road and don't have night vision issues or they are NOT MY roads ! So what does it cost to change a low beam HID lamp?
    $75. a pr? 09 Jetta Three WARRANTY PLANS????? Standard, 3 months +$8.00, 1 year + $10.00?

If it is not a maintenance item, makes you wonder why they sell em at all, let alone have to buy a pr? Warranties? .... ok....
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217
    This is the Prices Paid forum.... I'm sure there are other places to discuss headlights...

Thanks!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mzak1mzak1 Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2011
    Hi I just took the plunge and bought a 2011 Black TDi sportwagen with 700 miles on it. The only option is the automatic transmission. I live in NYC and paid 26,536, including tax and dealer fees. The 700 miles was a bit of a sticking point but the dealer took enough off to justify the price.
    I realize its too late, but was just wondering what others thought of the price that I paid.
    Thanks
    That is a couple grand less than you would pay in California out the door. I don't think the 700 miles means much at all. As long as you got the full new warranty.

And welcome to the forum. Hope you love your VW TDI.... :)