Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen TDI Models Prices Paid

Comments

• esteezeesteeze Member Posts: 102
    So... you bought it? Recently?

Yep...closed it today. Ink is still wet on the paperwork. I go back and pick it up later today.

I'm pretty excited about it; I've been looking at them for a while.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Sounds nice.... The TDIs come pretty well equipped, right? Auto or stick?

Congratulations.. !!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• esteezeesteeze Member Posts: 102
    Sounds nice.... The TDIs come pretty well equipped, right? Auto or stick?

Thanks!

It has the 6-speed DSG/auto transmission, which are somewhat unique.

The "Special Edition" comes more or less fully loaded, with the following noteable exceptions:
    - No leather seats (rather, a vinyl-like material... but still has heated driver and passenger seats)
    - No power seats
    - No navigation system

(I didn't really care about those features anyway.)

... just about everything else, though. (power sunroof, Sirius satellite radio, telescoping steering wheel... with audio controls, multi-function display)
  • rodekillrodekill Member Posts: 4
    I just recently purchased an '04 Jetta TDI, and am wondering does anyone have a cold air delivery system for this model? K&N has a replacement air filter, But all cold air apps stop at '03 What is the diff. in the 2 engines? I'm looking to maximize perfomance and efficiency if that is possible. I'm not new to diesels(I've owned a few), only these.,rodekill
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    This question has been covered in other VW TDI threads, as this thread concentrates more on pricing experiences.
    Here is a link to the general VW Jetta TDI discussion.

Try asking there...

Thanks,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• rodekillrodekill Member Posts: 4
    thanks I wasn't paying attention
  • rtw67rtw67 Member Posts: 2
    I've been thinking about giving up my truck for an economical car. I've always liked VW but didn't think I would be able to find a TDI Jetta. The two dealers in my area both have 4 - 6 new 2006 TDI's on the lot. I was a bit shocked by that... I'm in Omaha, maybe that's the reason? To me, a 2006 model should have a significant discount, can I expect that from VW?
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I would not expect a big discount with diesel selling cheaper than regular. The reason they still have 2006 models is for the diesel option. The current TDI will not pass 2007 emissions. So VW is selling 2006 models until they release the new 2008 TDI that is going to be 50 state compliant.

That said. If you like one of the cars at your dealership I would try to get them down to invoice or below.
  • rtw67rtw67 Member Posts: 2
    That is what I thought. I had a conversation with the dealer today. They pretty much said they wouldn't discount the TDI much at all. But, they have a few 06 Passats with very nice discounts. I might go that route since the bigger car is little nicer for the family. They are not TDI cars, but they still get a lot better mpg than any truck.
  • ashift30ashift30 Member Posts: 4
    There are no 06 Jetta's left in Houston. Been gone for a while. The emmissions is the reason, when the 08 comes out expect a $2,500 bump. They will hide it in minor redesign but the reality is the re-engineering to hit the sulpher levels. The 06 TDI is a very high demand vehicle.

I have an 06 and I wouldn't trade it for anything on the market. Diesel is 20 cents cheaper and I am getting 42 MPH driving like a bat out of hell. Zero problems. 26K at the 9 month mark.
  • otis12otis12 Member Posts: 171
    September '07? Anyone know? And which models?
  • feilofeilo Member Posts: 128
    Edmunds Inside Line says early CY08 for Jetta Wagon
  • bailboybailboy Member Posts: 20
    I am in the process of purchasing a 2006.5 diesel edition jetta from Langhorne Volkswagen in PA for 100.00 over invoice at 25365.00. I think MSRP was like 26700, something like that. Check out the tdiclub.com website for more information. Plenty of diesel jetta's on the east coast.
    Wow.. great price!

Do they still have the 0%/36 month financing?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

To my knowledge this is what they have offering now..

All Jetta and Beetle TDI's now have an enhanced APR rate for tier 1 customers thru VW Credit. The rates are:
    2.9% up to 36 months
    3.9% up to 48 months
    4.9% up to 60 months

The price they quoted me for is for the DSG transmission, the manual transmission is under 25k
    40 mpg and $2.79/gal. for diesel... Makes me want to trade.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I know, I am trading in my 2005 Avalon, I just hope this will turn out to be a good decision based on the history of Volkswagen's reliability. So we'll see..
    Maybe you should bank all of the fuel savings for future repairs? :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

You know what, I am nervous buying any newer cars now. I think there are some serious issues with some of the "new technologies" that they are putting into todays cars. So at this point I think it's a gamble with any car we buy. I have issues with my 05 avalon...and it's the flagship toyota sedan. I will say my GF has had nothing but good results with the maximas that she has owned. But she is averaging about 23mpg...
    I'm with you. Trying to find a car that you don't need to buy an extended warranty for is tough. Even dyed in the wool Toyota worshipers will tell you it is crazy not to buy the extended warranty. That has only been the case for the last 10 years. Too much electronic crap that has a short life expectancy in a car. Good luck with your Jetta TDI. I think you will like it. I liked my 2005 Passat TDI. I kind of wish I would have kept it. I got greedy for the profit.
    I assume you sold it because of the demand? What did u end up getting to replace the passat? I was considering a TDI passat if i could find one with really low miles.
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    I must ask, why are you trading in a 2005 Avalon? It will likely take you years to recoup the deprectiation on the Avalon and the cost of the Jetta.

It rarely makes economic sense to trade a vehicle for the sole purpose of better fuel economy.
    I never said I was trading it in for fuel economy. I am getting rid of the avalon due to the transmission problems and throttle hesitation that have plagued the newer avalons. Not to mention in the year I have owned it it has been side swipped, door dings, bumper marks. The car is long and wide and is prone to idiots who don't care about other peoples cars.....so I decided that I wanted to replace it with a better more fuel efficent vehicle that did not take up so much parking space.... I don't care for the Honda civic, or the toyota corolla, considering I am not happy with Toy as it is. And I am not excited about hyundai and none of them get the milage the jetta gets. And I just can not justify a hybrid, I test drove the prius and was not impressed with anything other than the fact the engine shuts off at stop lights....

So for over all economy, I was considering the Jetta TDI. Although I will say I am constantly having second thoughts because of the past reliability issues of Volk's. So...I guess I am not 100% sure what car to go with considering any make and model can have issues. I used to think Toyota was bullet proof because of my previous tacoma that I loved. BUt now buying a 26k car used, the avalon, has made me realize that just cause a company is known for reliability doesn't mean I will get quality.. :sick:

But my girls 2002 maxima has been bullet proof though...but I can not justify the 23mpg average she gets.
  • cosmocosmo Member Posts: 203
    Just to offer a few words of encouragement. We have driven our 2006 Jetta TDI with DSG for 13 months and 14K miles without a problem. Nada. Zero. None.

We have 36K on our 2004 Passat TDI and experienced only one problem: an electric motor that controls the air intake flap died. We drove it 1,500 miles to SF and back while waiting for the part to get to the dealer. No problem.

I do suggest adding aftermarket side moldings to the Jetta to fend off the bashers.
    I bought it when diesel was expensive April 05, and sold May 06 when the diesel price dropped below unleaded. Made 3 grand and put 8k miles on it. I could have sold 20 at that price. I have never had that many calls on a vehicle before or since. I have been trying to sell my 2005 GMC hybrid for a year. Only two people have come to look at it. Diesel cars sell. You have to buy when diesel is expensive as the dealers will have them sitting and be ready to deal. It was the Passat Wagon which I think is a great looking vehicle. Nothing out there right now turns me on. We are still driving my Wife's 1990 LS400 most of the time. It is still under 90k original miles.
    Well I have noticed on ebay that some tdi's are going for 30k, 28k, etc. It's crazy and that's for used ones. Right now diesel where I live ranges from 2.89 to 3.05 a gallon. I am hoping if I keep the car for a year and decide I don't like it. I will get most of my money back or at the very least break even with this Jetta. Online the book price has the 06 tdi at any where from 26k-27k. I am paying 25365 and getting 20700 for my 05 avalon with 30k on it. While I could get a little more if I sold it out right...I guess in the long run no matter how we look at it or what kind of car we buy, we get zapped with a loss of so much. I guess the only way to not lose money on a car is to keep the same one for a long time. These car dealers have us by the balls.. :blush:
  • smdtdismdtdi Member Posts: 31
    OK folks

The glowplug heater needs to be replaced again...3rd time in 27 months...same cylinder (#2).

It should be under warranty still (60K engine warranty).

I'm definitely buying an extended warranty if this is going to be an ongoing problem.

My question is:

What is the underlying problem? Is it normal for glowplugs to fail so often?

Could I inadvertantly be contributing to the problem...i.e. by turning the ignition key before the glowplug light goes out (it happens sometimes :blush: )?
  • kc1435kc1435 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a new 2006 special edition TDI in Beaverton, OR. Within an hour of driving the car home, it started to have a strange "hammering" sound coming from under the car. Two days later, it started to produce a horrible smell (as though the clutch was burning) and started smoking. I had it towed to the dealer and after a week, they still haven't even looked at it. Has anyone else had a similar experience, or have any advice? Thanks
  • texastditexastdi Member Posts: 1
    I have replaced the glow plug twice in my 2003 TDI with 150,000. With all of the recent rain in Houston I was thinking about trading my car in on the Jeep Liberty Diesel but it only gets 27 mpg on the highway. Can't do it, wont do it. Love my car but wish it were a little higher off the ground. Also wish that the Germans put a little more into the interior. I am having to replace little stuff in the interior that is wearing out.
  • laveencatlaveencat Member Posts: 3
    2005 Passat GLS TDI with 41k miles.

$23k
  • smdtdismdtdi Member Posts: 31
    I am going to attempt to replace these. Someone here had posted step by step, do it yourself instructions (with pictures)for doing this.

My question regards the parts. I understand that the glowplugs had changed for this engine recently (presumably when the PD was introduced).

I want to make sure that i'm buying the right parts.

I found a place online called

Auto Parts Warehouse

which lists two different types of glowplugs for the 2005 Jetta TDI:

OE Service Glowplugs (M10 x 1 x7) @ $26.99 each.

Bosch Glowplugs )M10 x 1 x7) @ $27.99 each.

The Bosch glowplugs listing states that they are suitable for the GL, and GLS TDI, Wagon (I have the wagon...not sure why that would make a difference).

Any suggestions, or experiences replacing your own glowplugs? I have also heard that the glowplug harness should be replaced...is this necessary?
    Hi, smdtdi...

You'll have a better chance at a response in the general
    Jetta TDi forum, as this discussion is specific to pricing.

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• carcrazy37carcrazy37 Member Posts: 12
    sorry I'm lost on this, can't find anything on the vw.com web site.
    No Passat TDI till 2008. Should be 50 state approved.
  • shannynshannyn Member Posts: 4
    I absolutley love my jetta...Would not trade it for anything in the world..I have 83,000 miles on it, I travel alot back and forth to work and it is a 2005. My problem is since I got the car ( bought it brand new) I have had alot of little things go wrong..Mostly electrical..Sometimes the sunroof don't want to close...Headlights or tailights constantly going out..Now my a/c is messing up. I brought it to the shop (not VW, the charge way to much) and they said it was the Evaporator core that went out. It is going to cost be close to a thousand dollars. Has anyone had this problem? The mechanic that always works on my car specializes in foreign cars and works on VW's, Volvo's, BMW, etc..He said he has never had to replace a Evaporator core in this new of a vehicle, mostly on 90 models. My other thing, the car is great especially on mileage, but when you have to have someone work on it, it costs you a arm and a leg because no one wants to touch a diesel, as soon as I tell them it is a diesel, they say they don't work on them and when you find someone that will they charge a arm and a leg...Anyway, has anyone else had this problem? :confuse:
  • grossemgrossem Member Posts: 2
    Hello. I was hoping to get some help with getting a good price on a used 2006 Passat 2.0T Luxury Package. This car has 12K miles on it. It was a corporate car that has been turned it. Looks good. The price they want is 23,500. What is the best that I can do?
    Welcome to the forum.

I think you would be better served in the VW Passat threads. This is the VW diesel engine thread. Most people here do not like gas engine VWs.

Try here

carwhat, "Volkswagen Passat Prices Paid and Buying Experience" #3233, 20 Dec 2007 7:07 pm
  • lizziewriterlizziewriter Member Posts: 9
    We had a diesel Rabbit back when... Anyway, I am thinking of "trading in" my 2006 Chevy Uplander minivan for a diesel Golf, maybe a 2003? As soon as I can scrounge up a used Chevy Astro van (mine died and I couldn't get another right away) I would like to ditch the new minivan and get a diesel VW. It's been a long time since I've driven a VW, and hubby is leery of anything not GM. But as long as I have the Astro for hauling kids and stuff I figure I can get something that gets good gas mileage, has some power to it, and all of that. Advice and suggestions welcome. I am in New York State. (If Chevy would just make a diesel Astro on the S10 platform I'd have been all set... but they don't.)
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    From your post I am led to believe you still have a need and probably want for a mini van type platform. Being as how you have a very to relatively NEW minivan, I would wait for a TDI (diesel) minivan (Honda Odyssey or even a VW minivan) should/when they start to sell one in the US markets. It will be very hard (from a cost justification point of view) to downsize, still have the need for a minivan platform and have to add another vehicle payment.
  • rkelseyrkelsey Member Posts: 1
    A5 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 2005.5, 2006 clutch failure.
    On Nov 1 2007, VWoA issued Tech Bulletin 2016615. This extends the warranty on Sachs clutch components to 4 yrs/50,000 miles.

Copy of Tech Bulletin here:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/images/pdf/vw_tb_30-07-01.pdf

Recently had my 06 TDI clutch go at 16,585 miles.
    Dealer couldn't find this Tech Bulletin until I handed them a printed copy.
    Under warranty, VW paid for new clutch, and rental car.
  • mrstacymrstacy Member Posts: 34
    I live in las vegas but I had to go to AZ to get a dealer to pay sticker. We'll see if they honor that price. I don't have a specific number to show my car, but they seem sincere. We'll see. Chapman phoenix.
    Drew VW in La Mesa told me they were selling their Jetta TDIs at MSRP also. Problem is you have to pay CA tax even on out of state sales. Unless they will deliver via the LV dealership.
  • mariobgoodemariobgoode Member Posts: 114
    Ordered the car last month, arriving by end of Sept., production in progress, awaiting VIN. Dealer in NE PA is Wyoming Valley Motors in Wilkes Barre. They get two diesels every month and have sold out their allocation until Feb 09 even before the first model came.

I live in Metro NY but the dealers here (Toyota, Honda, Nissan, VW) all want 5K over MSRP for hybrids and diesels, if they are even available. Cash upfront even before they will order the vehicle, and as what happened to me with a 2009 Camry Hybrid from Lee's Toyota in Jamaica, Queens, they ordered one for me and when the car arrived, they gave it to someone who gave them more money.
    I do hope your experience with the VW dealer is better than the Toyota dealer. I think this is going to be a great success for VW. I do hope a few of the greedy dealers do not give VW a bad name.
  • malmouzamalmouza Member Posts: 141
    Dealers are opening a business not church to help people. Any business is based on supply and demand. If too many people want the same product, of course the seller is going to take the opportunity to capitalize on that situation. Dealers also have bad season and good season, and when a new redesigned model comes to the market they try to make up for the months where they weren’t hiting the sales numbers. But try to shop around, in my area they are 5 dealers and two of them are charging MSRP. But the waiting list is long since VW just announced that there previous allocation per dealer for the Jetta TDI have been reduced due to the weak dollar vs Euro. This issue is going to exist for period of time until the new factory Chattanooga, Tenn. start production in 2010.
  • schloed7schloed7 Member Posts: 3
    Be careful with this dealer.......they told us that company policy was to not mark up over MSRP, but later found out that the lady was telling a whopper. We ended up at N. Scottsdale VW with a new '09 at MSRP.
  • mdics911mdics911 Member Posts: 2
    The TDI is turning up in metro chicago dealers now and having visited at least 4 of them just this afternoon, the dealers are turning into a bunch of crooks. At the top end was a $5,000 market adjustment (Larry Roesch) for the white demo versions that everybody and their brother has been driving around. At the low end are a mandatory $1000 worth of fabric guard, plastic front end 3M film protection, etc (Autobarn, Fox Valley VW). I would have no issues paying MSRP as posted on the window, but this is certainly not bargaining in good faith.

So much for having cash in hand, ready to plunk it down on a car. I guess there are other transportation options out there.
    Hopefully people are not sucked into those deals. I would email to all the dealers in a 50 mile radius. Find one that is honest. At least sort of honest.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    What exactly do you get extra with the Loyal model of the TDI? I checked Edmunds comparison and really only saw that a 6cd changer was optional on the Loyal. There must be a lot more than that obviously for around $500.