Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen TDI Models Prices Paid

Comments

• longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    "Satellite radio, bluetooth, 6 disk CD changer with IPOD interface and SD chip, 115V power supply, pano roof, leather multi-function steering wheel, high quality appearance inside and out, TDI with real world 30's in the city and 50mph highway, well designed controls and performance".
    You have just listed most of the features of our 2007 Nissan Versa SL. but that's not what I meant when I compared the Jetta to the others in the pack.
    You see, the current Jetta is almost the exact same dimensions as all it's current completion. Going bigger will get than out of that crowed gang and give them a leg up considering the Polo will be coming in at VW's bottom end and should do well there with the Beetle TDI and Golf TDI in hatchback form .
    Then the new U.S. built VW model will be free to compete with the most popular and best selling sedan sizes on the road today..the Sonata, Malibu, Camry, and the Accord. (feel free to add all the other ones I have missed)

The question in my mind is VW up to the challenge of building a really great selling new, Jetta, (I doubt that's what they will even call it) considering they already have the bigger Passat, a kind of a sales dud, sitting on the showroom floors.

Hope your new JSW lasts forever.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Are you sure the new "american midsize" VW is going to replace the Jetta? I thought I read somewhere that the Passat(slow sales as you say) was the car being replaced.
    You might be right, I found this quote among other VW Car-Gossip on the net..

"The so-called NMS or New Midsize Sedan will replace the Passat in the US"

Could be they will just put the Passat out to pasture and see how the new..."NMS" works out. I don't think there would be much consumer backlash on that one...since thery stopped making the Passat TDI, especially in the beautiful Wagon model, who really cares?

A lot of speculation, but one things for sure, the Jetta as we know it is due for an update, one that some diehard Jetta fans won't like, but I think VW is looking for a new mass market that couldn't care less about the old VW Jetta's track record.

Get ready for BIGGER CUPHOLDERS!
  • jswtdifanjswtdifan Member Posts: 9
    "stripped down version of it's former self"; "don't think they really gave a hoot" - These are the comments that got my attention and disapproval. While the dimensions of the Versa and others are similar (excepting cargo of the JSW), I could not see considering any of those cars as comparable to the JSW TDI. Did I mention heated front seats and mirrors; roof racks; or virtually zero depreciation of the TDI?

As for getting out of that crowd, I think that's a mistake. VW needs a vehicle that leads the pack of these similarly sized cars (Polo is not a substitute here). The later posts and comments about the NMS are good comments - this is a new opportunity for VW to compete with the Accords, etc (between the Jetta and CC - and replacing Passat which failed in that mission).

See some NMS photos at this link: http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/09q1/2011_2012_vw_passat_replacement_new_mi- d-size_sedan_nms_-car_news/gallery
  • geosamgeosam Member Posts: 18
    You said you got EVERY available option, but your previous post says 6 sp manual?
    I am interested in knowing how are you liking the car. I am very interested in the Golf TDI, but am having a hard time knowing it will probably cost me more than a GTI.
    Thanks, George
  • anowlananowlan Member Posts: 48
    Car is ordered. STILL not here, VW is not allotting their dealers very many cars, and so I'm still waiting for one. So be prepared for a long wait. Some dealers aren't even taking any more orders, they have so many already. On the 6spd manual 2dr model, I ordered every available option. Hope that wasn't misleading
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    1700 tax credit on TDIs with DSG is like a 5k tax write-off. Is the GTI still a better deal? By me there's a TDI for 26k with DSG. Seriously considering stopping by after work. A GTI with DSG is about the same price but no tax credit and more expensive fuel with 30-40% lower fuel economy. It'll make up the price gap quickly. As for resale - TDIs supposedly sell for a mint used.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    I'd highly recommend the TDI Cup Jetta or being patient and waiting for the GTD. VWoA is seriously working on bringing the GTD to USA.

TDI Cup without the body kit is a car that I expect you would be satisfied with.
    Dealer was closed. At 7 pm. Closed at 7?!!!
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Which dealer in San Diego? I have had pretty good dealings with Drew VW in La Mesa. Not sure they stay open past 7 PM.
    Miramar. We happened to be near Drew later they were open but not a TDI in sight. I think only Miramar has a 4 door TDI right now.
    I know I have stopped by a few times when I get into La Mesa and rarely see any TDI models. They are usually sold when they hit the ground. From the two or three salesmen I talked to Drew does not add any premium on the Jetta TDI models. They offered to order me a Sportswagen. Not really what I want. The Tiguan 2.0L TDI with 4Motion would be a real temptation for me. They have them in the EU. No plans to sell them here. Probably sell all they can build in Europe. Why take the dollar hit over here?
    They had Sportwagens on the lot but I have little interest in the Jetta. I prefer the Golf and the idea of a sport suspension.
  • micosilvermicosilver Member Posts: 212
    I'd highly recommend the TDI Cup Jetta or being patient and waiting for the GTD. VWoA is seriously working on bringing the GTD to USA.

TDI Cup without the body kit is a car that I expect you would be satisfied with.

They are not going to bring the GTD to USA.
  • newtdiguy1newtdiguy1 Member Posts: 2
    Went looking for a 2010 TDI found that while there are NO incentives . Prices quoted are lower than invoice on web sites???? Is there any factory to dealer Cash?????? If so how much?? I know they are NOT losing any money

Dealers are Boston Ma. area
    They are not going to bring the GTD to USA.

2.0 170HP TDI is being certified for use in USA in an addtional vehicle and this will allow GTD to also be offered. That is what I've been told "off the record" from a VWoA employee.
  • bobny57bobny57 Member Posts: 30
    After using Edmunds.com, I put in an order at Sunrise VW in Lynbrook, NY for a white Golf TDI with DSG and 4 doors. No other options. I had to pay MSRP or $24,440 plus tax and tags. But I am going to boldly deduct my sales tax on this year's tax return even though I don't expect to receive the car until March of 2010. I might end up in jail with Bernie Maddoff but what the heck.

I also will take the $1,700 tax credit compliments of our generous government. So between the sales tax deduction and the tax credit I estimate a tax benefit of around $2,300. So my actual cost will be reduced to around $22,140 plus tax and tags.

I am expecting a 3-4 month wait for the car. But I did put an escape clause in the sales agreement. If they don't deliver the car my 3/3/10 I can get my deposit refunded and try somewhere else.

I also added a stipulation that if the manufacturer offers any incentives before I pick up the car, either cash or financing, I will be able to get them.

So now I will have 100 days of anticipation to dream about my new acquisition. I am already planning a nice driving vacation down to South Carolina in April to try to squeeze 50 mpg out of the thing.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Good luck with the IRS especially if you cancel the deal after taking all the tax credits. Bernie is in a hospital unit right now but I'm sure he'll be back in his cell to greet you upon your arrival.
    But I am going to boldly deduct my sales tax on this year's tax return even though I don't expect to receive the car until March of 2010. I might end up in jail with Bernie Maddoff but what the heck.

That is not a big deal, heck, I'm claiming you as a dependent on my tax return!
    Thanks for the encouragement with the IRS. Those folks do scare me. But if I do cancel the deal with my local dealer it would be to purchase the same VW from another dealer. But you did alert me to a potential tax problem so thank you. I may get cold feet before filing my 2009 taxes and decide it is better to sleep at night rather than try to game the IRS.

Is anyone able to report actual gas mileage? I'm interested in your experiences with the TDI's. Also, a question: Does the neck of the fuel tank in any way prevent one from putting regular gas into the TDI? I drive other cars and worry that I might inadvertently pump regular into a diesel. I saw this happen while in Vietnam and the damn vehicle drove like a bucking bronco.
  • gabe23gabe23 Member Posts: 1
    Technically, you really can't deduct until you make the purchase. That is assuming that you are cash basis, like most tax payers. Payment of deposit is not sufficient. (I am a CPA, but you may easily do the research at the IRS website.)
    I certainly would not take the deduction. Especially if claiming a credit for home office, or anything else that comes up as audit bait. (I prefer to sleep well, and rather not have to explain anything other than an honest mistake.) Like you, I am considering a purchase to beat the deadline. However, the TDI pickings are quite poor. There is always the A3 TDI.
    Good luck.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    claiming a tax credit for a TDI that one hasn't purchased yet seems rather fraudulent but I'm no CPA.
    it is possible to put gasoline into a TDI since a the gas nozzle is thinner than the diesel nozzle.
    the gas mileage for a TDI is zero mpg. :|
    but with diesel fuel, the diesel mpg will probably be between 40 mpg & 50 mpg.
  • sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    Has anyone here test driven the Golf TDI and posted a review? (I'm looking for non-professional reviews... especially with regards to the suspension/handling and real-world driveability).
    Sunil,, your asking of the question can be your volunteering and answering it.
    Unless you live on an island with no VW dealers, please get your butt in the golf TDI seat and get back to us with your review.

Maybe compare the base-suspension gas model golf with the sport-suspension TDI golf?

Thank you for your consideration and best wishes to you and family in the new decade.
  • dafreak1dafreak1 Member Posts: 61
    Test drove both the Golf TDI and the Jetta TDI this evening in a snowstorm in the Chicago area. Liked both cars, the Jetta has much more trunk space and seemed to handle better in the snow. Not sure why that would be unless the Golf's wheels were frozen, etc. from an earlier test drive (which it had been on). Really not sure what I am going to do and will go back on Saturday and drive again. Can anyone share pluses and minuses of owning a TDI longer term?
    Okay. You convinced me. I'll not take the tax deduction or tax credit for my 2010 TDI until I file for 2010 next year.

My salesman called on Friday to tell me that I had to take the Bluetooth option as VW considers it a "forced" option. We decided to split the $199. I knew that this option was coming on all TDI's from my previous shopping at other dealers so I was not surprised.

I asked him when I might get the car and he told me that he would have a better idea at the end of January. I'm seeing TDI's in other dealers' inventory within a 75 mile radius but not exactly what I've ordered.

I'm enjoying the anticipation of waiting and do want the car exactly as I've ordered it.
  • ggeeooggeeoo Member Posts: 94
    Up til yesterday I owned a 1999 Buick Park Ultra, I swore come heck of high water
    I was going to drive this car til the wheels fell off. Well 1-11-10 that is what happened.
    It could have happened at 65 miles an hour down hill at 5:00 am. The front tire on the
    drivers side was ok the passenger side front at a 90 degree angle. Thank fully it happened in the parking lot.

I had heard about clean Diesel for a great while Bio fuel and all that but all I saw
    offered were triucks my brother had a diesel sorroco in the 70's. We had VW
    Van's in the 60-70.

The TDI is in a class by itself. I looked at the La crosse but the seats were hard and getting 18 MPG in the OC is not so good. I have driven the TDI one day 75
    miles and the tank is still full wow.

I actually sell precious metals for investment if this clean deisel gets known palladium will double. I love the spacious cabin and the light with panoramic roof.

I will report soon how my snark carried on top and bikes next time.

Buy it it is a thrill even for a 58 year old 6' 4" guy.
    nice, gggeeeooo !
    on the older "ventable tank" TDIS, they often the tdi can go 150 milesbefore the needle moved, after a refill/top-off/"vent".

some advice for you sir, probably you know already, but do not slack on the maintenance of your VWl, as you evidently/intentionally did with your buick's front suspension - there must not be a safety inspection in your state where they check tierods/etc!

a diesel scirocco is legendary!
    sign me up after new diesel scirocco is homologated in USA. please, VW!
    i am quite familiar with the early 1980s dasher diesel and rabbit diesel.
    (the rabbit was yellow, most of the 1st-year rabbits were painted bright/da-glo colors as a marketing/advertising approach).
  • dieseldorf78dieseldorf78 Member Posts: 1
    I also ordered a 4door TDI Golf back in November of 2009, and I have not heard when it is going to arrive. I was told it could be 3-4 months. The dealerships seem to be in the dark about the cars they are selling. They told me that they would tell me when the car is starting to be produced at the factory. I also count myself lucky to have a confirmed order!!!
  • stackabonesstackabones Member Posts: 7
    And I'm still waiting. In fact, I was able to make some adjustments to my initial order earlier this month on January 10th (see below for VW dealer email exhange).

"I have made those adjustments you requested, the cold weather package and protection kit. So you're all set. I will keep you posted on the ETA, as I'm sure you're excited, these cars are really something."

It's okay. I'm a patient man. And I'm just saving more and more cash so my loan will be significantly smaller. At this rate, I'll be able to pay at least 50% of it in cash.

I keep checking out the other Seattle dealers, and only occasionally will I see a TDI Golf listed in their inventory. They're usually white (ugh). Even thier supply of gas Golfs seem to be quite thin.

At this point, I'm just hoping to get it by April. :cry:
    VW is not going to double it's sales by making Golf TDI rarer than an Ivory-billed Woodpecker.
  • rose_maryrose_mary Member Posts: 4
    Hello ~ Could really use some help. I'm pretty new to the driving world and have been looking at buying a use 2003 Jetta TDI. Just need some sound advice at 195km already and 6500 canadian (before taxes) is this a good deal? How much long would the car last (saying it's been maintained and kept in good order) :-)

Thanks for any comments...

(can't afford to buy new...)
    It may cost you a hundred dollars to have a good mechanic check the car out. Make sure he is familiar with VW diesels. Every time I have bought used not taking my own advice I was the loser. Another 100,000km should be no problem if it has had proper care.
  • ggeeooggeeoo Member Posts: 94
    Just bought a TDI Jetta Sportswagon great ride,great MPG/D clean quiet powerful.
    I know it will last. 2010 got it Ibis white with corn silk interior.

Improvements needed. Homelink and extended sun visors.

Bought from Capistrano VW in Dana Point CA. :)
    Thanks for the reply. My mechanic is checking it out this week... hope it doesn't need a new timing belt or I won't be buying it, unless the dealer does it :-)
    If it does need a timing belt. Get some advice from your mechanic on what all should be replaced when it is torn down. It should not cost over $1000 and will be good for another 100k km. Just get them to discount and have a mechanic you trust do the work. They will likely cut corners at the dealership. And if it is not a VW dealership, I would not let them work on it.
    Dear 'Can't afford new'

A mechanic 'looking at it' won't be much help for this person buying a car that should have had at least it's first timing belt already and is due for another one soon. To find out how much is left of the Cam Shaft, will the mechanic pull the valve cover?

Unless you know the guy that owned it, you will be driving a car that's a total mystery when it comes to sheduled services....got all the bills to prove it?

What kind of engine oil has been used, and at what intervals, if it's a DSG when was that fluid changed last, is the DMF making any little rattly sounds?

If you are looking for a used car that will keep you broke, buy a used Jetta TDI that you have no idea of when and what the services have been done on it.

If you are looking for an inexpensive used car that will only require a minimum of expensive services....keep on shopping.

And one more thing...

"They will likely cut corners at the dealership. And if it is not a VW dealership, I would not let them work on it".
    if you figure out what that advice means, good luck
    if you figure out what that advice means, good luck

It means the dealership selling the car will likely spend as little as they have to on repairs. If it needs a timing belt, it should also get a new water pump. At least that is my understanding. The selling dealer may not do all that to get you in the driver's seat. And if it is anything but a VW dealer, I would not trust them to do any of the work on my VW TDI.

I agree it is probably nearing the second timing belt. They did not use the DSG back in 2003.

I would not buy any car with that many miles unless it was a classic. Sadly it seems the folks that cannot afford a new car end up getting screwed with someone else's problem car.
  • hlaihlai Member Posts: 3
    how much did you get your jetta wagon tdi for?
    thanks
    hieu
    I appericated all the comments but not all dealerships are out to make a fast one, if you know what I mean. And from what I've been reading (doing some research) when it comes to diesel engines don't look at the Kms but look at the overall condition of the car. The 2003 Jetta I am looking into buying is from a franchise dealership who is owned by a friend of by bother in law who is a cop (I know some might be thinking like that would actually make a diff). The Jetta belonged to one owner (again a friend of the manager at the dealership) and he will be trying to get all the service records (hopefully he's still got them). I am having a mechanic check it out and if any mechanic knows what he is doing (like his job) he should be able to see how much wear and tear there is on the belt. My concern is given the make of the car 2003 Jetta TDI sedan with yes 195,000KMS on it fully loaded at 8,000 canadian is that considered a good deal? Let's be real here not everything has to get done through a VW autoshop, even they can not be trusted sometimes to know what they are doing....
    http://www.edmunds.com/tmv/used/index.html

All other speculation about your question aside, such as inherent mechanical, electrical and reliability issues, use the above link to get an idea of how good or bad the 2003 Jetta TDI with 196,000 Km deal is.

My rough estimate using their appraisal site was......(all prices are in U.S. funds).

Trade in Value........$3900.00
    Private Party sale...$5100.00
    Dealer Retail..........$6375.00
    Thanks! for the link. Based on all the info I know; kms, colour, opitions etc. This is what it gave me US dollars. (not bad after all paying 8,000 total canadian) fingers crossed on that, still need to hear from my mechanic. :-) :blush:

Trade in Value........$6,112
    Private Party sale...$7,676
    Dealer Retail...........$9,136
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volkswagen-Jetta-GLS-TDI-2003-VOLKSWAGEN-GLS-TDI_- - - W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3ca982958cQQitemZ260541945228QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

When I was shopping for my 2006 Jetta TDI, I found that the 'Real World' pricing is on eBAy.
    For some strange reason Edmunds tends to over value some models and undervalue others. (Don't forget, the "Exceptional Condition" is a used car pricing myth, they will gladly use it to sell you one but never will they give you that condition if they are taking it in trade)

This above listing might be close to how your car would look, this one already includes a new timing belt and water pump..no bids yet at $5000 but it's still got a day to go ( posted on Jan 28 2010)

Check out the "Completed Sales" to see what price range they are actually being sold for. I don't think eBay is any scarrier than dealing with a used car salesman, his manager, and his accountant. Craigslist is another rich source of pricing info.
  • biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    I am just in the beginning stages of researching a new car, and already I'm confused with VW. Is the Jetta Sportwagen the same thing as a Golf? The Jetta SW is available as a 2010 model, isn't it? I'm thinking about the diesel version. Any pros or cons about that?

We are coming off a 2000 Maxima GLE, which I love(d), with about 125,000 miles on it. When I was shopping for that one was probably the last time I was posting regularly here on Edmunds.
    The Jetta Sportswagen TDI is not the Golf. There is a Golf wagon that is not offered in the USA yet. It will be smaller than the Sportswagen. So far It looks like the Sportswagen is a real hit. 80% are sold with the TDI engine. Not real easy to find one. But worth it if you do. 50 MPG on the highway is common with that vehicle.
    OK, thanks.

I'm in Northern VA area. If anyone posting here has any recommendations for dealers, I'm all ears. I've mostly owned Nissans and will be test-driving the Rogue in comparison with the Jetta SW.
    If you can wait a few months, the total re-do of the VW Jetta TDI will be out in 2011 form, a little bigger overall, (nothing wrong with that) and from the gossip I hear on the internet, VW is going to hold the prices close to or less than the 2010. (also very nice)

If better mpg's are on your buying list...go for the new TDI, 42+ mpg in any of the VW incarnations that match your present and future needs.

If you decide on the Nissan Rogue, 24 mpg tops, you will spend the rest of your days putting gas in it and wishing you had waited for a TDI.
    I didn't know that about the 2011 being bigger. Are we still talking about the Sportwagen here or do you mean the sedan? I'm more interested in the wagon.

I think I've gone off the idea of the Rogue. Right now I'm liking the Subarus best, looking at Forester and Outback. Or the Passat wagon.
    Well you can't get the Passat Wagon in Turbo Diesel anymore, so it looks llike all your three choices are pretty much the same in the MPG area. And of course theres that Subie AWD bonus that you can't get in the VW Passat.

People who own Subies are as fanatical as any bunch I have ever met, so there must be lots of reasons.

I too stare everytime one goes flying by me blasting through snow drifts on the road.

I love the look of the new Legacy Wagons, so smooooth.

I don't think we will ever see the Subie Turbo Diesel in North American markets, even tho they build them in the U.S.

The Forester has great head room and looks like a little tank and in the top of the line 'leather-loaded' version should make you happy long after the payment$ are done.
  • mattydmattyd Member Posts: 21
    What is up w/ this pricing?! I just called about a used Golf (Jetta in US) CL wagon that the dealer's currently using for parts delivery. 6000 km on the clock. They want C$31k, or US$29100. Huh?

I thought it was a misprint where they mistakenly printed MSRP on the ad, but this is what the dealer just emailed me. They're in the Guelph area of Ontario.

"[this] will clarify how and why we get to the asking price that we are advertising...
    MSRP OPTIONS
    AJ539M - Golf Wagon 2.0 TDI DSG Comfortline 6sp $28,275.00
    4X4 - Rear Side Airbags $450.00
    TOTAL MSRP $28,725.00
    LESS: DISCOUNT ($515.00)
    SUBTOTAL $28,210.00
    DEALER OPTIONS AND CHARGES
    * $0.00
    Golf - No Chip Hoodguard $356.00
    Golf Wagon - Premium Window Tint $449.00
    Winter tires on existing alloys $660.00
    Administration Fee $199.00
    Freight and PDI $0.00
    Auto Arm Security $99.00
    Air Conditioning Tax $0.00
    Ontario Tire Stewardship (5 tires) $29.20
    Environmental Paint Protection $344.85
    Interior Protection $299.95
    Monster Mats $139.00
    Nitro Safe with Tire-Guard Road Hazard Warranty $199.00
    TOTAL SALES PRICE: $30,985.00
    LESS: TRADE ALLOWANCE $0.00
    PLUS: LEASE SHORTFALL ON TRADE $0.00
    NET DIFFERENCE: $30,985.00
    GST: $1,549.25
    PST: $2,478.80
    License Fee $10.00
    LIEN PAYOUT / CASHBACK: $0.00
    [GRAND TOTAL AFTER TAX]: $35,023.05 "

It looks like they have added every possible extra they could think of to get to this price. Even if it was a Highline I think it'd be high. Remember, it has 6kkm on it already. What price should I come back with? TIA.