Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen TDI Models Prices Paid

Comments

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Is this a VW Dealer. I have seen dealers ask more for used than new on high demand cars. That is way over the top in my book. It's is used and I would not pay anywhere close to MSRP for the car. Start under invoice and don't go a penny over invoice. Email more dealers. That one sounds like a real shyster. I see the Golf Wagon has replaced the Jetta Sportswagen. I wonder if it is smaller than the Jetta model? Looks very nice. I could go for one of those myself. Not for anywhere near what that dealer is asking.

http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/live/article/378750--vw-golf-on-the-double
  • dw438dw438 Member Posts: 41
    FYI:

2010 Golf Wagon (CAN)
    2010 Jetta Sportswagen (USA/Mexico)

2010 Golf Variant (EU/AUS/NZ ect.)
    2010 Golf Estate (UK)

All the same.

The first two are manufactured at the VW plant in Mexico. There have been some instances of Sportwagens with the Golf badge sold in the US [Whoops!]

All of course are direct descendants of the famed VW Type 3 Variant [EU, rest of world] or Squareback [US] wagon from the early 1960's.
    That is interesting. I think the Golf front end through me a curve. So the new Sportswagen will look the same as the Golf Estate?
  • dw438dw438 Member Posts: 41
    They look the same. Visual proof - see http://www.volkswagen.co.uk for Great Britain
    and compare it to http://www.vw.ca for Canada
    and also compare it to http://www.vw.com for the US.

Canada and UK models have fog lights in the front, for example.

All can have the TDI Diesel option - go for it.
  • jpotokjpotok Member Posts: 1
    I AGREE THE PRICES ARE CRAZY AND DEALERS ARENT REALLY NEGOTIATING.

IM LOOKING INTO THE JETTA WAGON TDI. WHAT ARE SOME OF THE PRICES PEOPLE HAVE BEEN PAYING FOR IT. IM LOCATED IN CA BUT MAY BUY OUTSIDE THE STATE

ALSO..... HOW IS THE MAITENENCE ON THIS VEHICLE. VW DOESNT HAVE THE BEST REPUTATION, HAS THIS CHANGED?

THANKS
  • mattydmattyd Member Posts: 21
    jpotok said "I AGREE THE PRICES ARE CRAZY AND DEALERS ARENT REALLY NEGOTIATING. IM LOOKING INTO THE JETTA WAGON TDI. WHAT ARE SOME OF THE PRICES PEOPLE HAVE BEEN PAYING FOR IT. IM LOCATED IN CA BUT MAY BUY OUTSIDE THE STATE ..."

Hey, what did we do wrong?!

;) I.e., lose the all-caps in your posts lest we think you're shouting angrily at your fellow Edmundsers.
  • stackabonesstackabones Member Posts: 7
    UPDATE!

My dealer called yesterday to inform me that production of my red 4DR manual Golf TDI has begun (or will begin soon).

ETA: Early May, possibly late April.

I put my deposit down in August. Agreed on MSRP.

CAN'T FREAKIN' WAIT! :)
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    . . .my red 4DR manual Golf TDI . . .

This is exactly the car I'd pick if they were readily available and not treated as rare objects of art by the dealers.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it; please keep us posted.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    edited February 2010
    My goodness -- you ordered your TDI in August 2009 and it will be delivered in late April or early May 2010? That's eight to nine months! My wife and I are thinking about ordering a 2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/6-Speed Manual, but not if it'll take VW that long to crank one out.

I'll bet you're excited -- enjoy! :shades:
    Not sure where you live. Our local San Diego dealers have several Sportwagen TDIs with both manual and DSG on their lots. I don't think they are in as short supply as the European built Golf TDI.
  • oli1oli1 Member Posts: 33
    There are a number "10 TDI wagons here at one dealer in the Torrance area and some of the other dealers here don't have much selection.
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 9
    Greetings folks... Help me think for a moment...

Assuming I don't need touch screen, alloys, and a trip computer, why would I want a TDI over a gas engine (base TDI vs base 'S').

100k miles in gas car - 11,000 dollars in gas + 20K car = 31000 (25mpg, 2.75/gallon)

100k miles in diesel car - 7800 in fuel. + 25k car = 32800 (37mpg, 2.90 / gallon)

So even after Obama benefit, we're about equal after 100K miles.

Bottom line - Diesel shouldn't be a "luxury". It should be an engine choice. I ought to be able to get a Sportwagen diesel for not much more than the 2.5L.

Am I all wet? Unless I'm looking at 200K miles, why would I want the diesel?

Tom
    When you go to sell the VW TDI you will get more than the original difference in return. Plus the driving is so much more pleasant. If the price of fuel goes up you are ahead.
  • mdl3r1mdl3r1 Member Posts: 21
    I agree with Gagrice. PLUS:
    1. Some of us expect a LOT more than 100 or 200K out of this vehicle. Diesel engines can easily do 300 K, or even 500K. If one intends to KEEP the car as long as it can go, (which I do) and the car is well maintained, kept and cared for (I try to do so and most everything I have lasts a long time by careful, gentle and proper use), for me, personally, the diesel is a "log-term" way to go.
    2. As Gagrice said, when gas is back to ~ 4 dollar mark, and diesel is about same or barely more than Premium gas that others put in their premium cars, a few cents more net you 12 more MPG over those 25 (almost 50% more miles!
    3. Despite the problems with BioDiesel since the 2009 Jetta, etc...if push really comes to shove, and gas is really scarce...some folks have rigged up biodiesel and one will at least run the thing, even if a "Check Engine Light" happens or oil gets diluted and one has tochange oil more, etc. If things get REALLY hard, running vs. unable to get gas to even run will be an issue.

That may be hard for us to imagine now...but if one travels abroad, and sees how others live and get by and do "the survival things in life"...one has a viable option...

Just my personal opinion and circumstance and choice, based on what I've seeen around the world and see coming down the road.....

:shades:
  • bobny57bobny57 Member Posts: 30
    I put my deposit of $250 on a Golf TDI 4dr. automatic on Dec. 23rd. In the sales agreement I stipulated that I could have my deposit back if they failed to deliver the car by March 31, 2010. They seemed confident that they could. I'm now nine weeks into my wait. And I am paying MSRP....$24,600 roughly.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    bobny, just so ya know:
    If you decide for any reason not to take delivery, you will get your full deposit back.
    that fact is not up for 'negotiation' as far as I know!
    edited March 2010
    Hi Tom, The Sportwagens' S trim 2.5L gasser has a timing chain, unlike the TDI's belt that will need replacement at around 100K Miles. Plus I think the TDI's particulate filter has to be checked at something like 120K Miles. If it needs replacement, it's $840 for the part alone.

I'm not opposed to the TDI, but you're smart to weigh the facts. We're running a similar analysis with Jetta Sportwagen TDI v. Subaru Forester -- both with a manual tranny. My wife loves rowing through the gears and wants a nice, durable interior. The TDI's upscale cabin wins hands down. I figure it'll take 7 years of her modest driving mileage before TDI breaks even, but we're still attracted to the TDI. Time for some test driving. :D
  • cody3764cody3764 Member Posts: 18
    I just purchased a 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition from Pete Moore Imports (Volkswagen Dealership) in Pensacola, Florida this past Saturday. To say I stole the car might be pretty much in line with what I paid. They blew the other 35 dealers on the east coast away that I was inquiring with on TDI's for the past month of research on them. I traveled 1,000 miles round trip to trade out my old car and pick up the new Jetta and I was smiling the whole time at the tremendous amount of money I was saving. :) I also see where folks here have been inquiring about the Jetta TDI Sportwagons and their availability. The new car manager at Pete Moore Imports told me they have 17 in the pipeline to be delivered to them. Pete Moore Imports is a volume dealer meaning yes they come off MSRP and more than they stated I could share here online. What they quoted me for my trade and what the ridiculous price was for their Jetta TDI Cup Edition is exactly what I was given for my trade and the cost of their TDI. No gimmicks when I arrived to do the paperwork and no they do not add crazy dealer fees etc to the sticker. :D Their dealer doc fee is $299 and Florida has a document stamp fee of around $120. My internet salesman Bruce told me that Mr. Moore pretty much owns his two dealerships outright and this is why they do not have a lot of overhead and they are able to deal more than most Volkswagen dealerships below MSRP and even on the popular TDI models. If TDI's are your passion, then definitely look them up and tell them you want a deal like Dan from South Carolina just received. ;):) Happy TDI Trails.
    Thanks Cody, that was very helpful. I just sent off a email to them and will see what they come up with. I am in SoCal, so I will be curious what price they give me, considering the dealer here quoted me OTD $29K for a JTDI sportswagen.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Under invoice for TDI Cup Jetta is available at another dealer on the east coast. $100 doc fee, $15 for a "drive off registration" required by the state. No other fees.

You did not state price paid, so the deal you obtained may be great to you and not so great for others. Your happy with the price so enjoy the car!

What color and options did you obtain? Did you get the body kit?
    Thanks Cody, that was very helpful. I just sent off a email to them and will see what they come up with. I am in SoCal, so I will be curious what price they give me, considering the dealer here quoted me OTD $29K for a JTDI sportswagen
    So far I have not heard from them, I guess business is booming.
  • jswtdifanjswtdifan Member Posts: 9
    For SoCal - I bought mine from Bridget at VW Santa Monica and found her to be very reasonable.
    LA motors sounded reasonable at MSRP, but I am stilling holding out because I think I can get it below MSRP.
  • cody3764cody3764 Member Posts: 18
    Send them an inquiry again from their web site. Direct it to Attn: Bruce, since I know he will be in today. I just spoke to him finishing up some Registration issues from my car deal on Saturday. Good Luck. :)
  • lrobbylrobby Member Posts: 4
    Turbodiesel is a great idea for passenger cars and I only wish there were 20X more to choose from. I just remain doubtful about VW. There were a great many new car problems concerning VW that I heard of during several years past. A person I knew was a service writer and was pretty amazed on the quality issues regularly coming in for repair. Is VW really a quality car? Where, besides a VW dealer, could you take and engine or transmission problem and trust they knew what they were doing? And what about the dealership service departments? Are they all just as dependable as taking my Chevy to a Chevy dealer shop? I have already read some pretty iffy reports on VW service.
    And what is with the brakes wearing out so quickly? I hear the rears are lucky to reach 50k miles. What is that all about except some rather screwed up engineering? A new TDI here in Wisconsin looks to cost me around 28 grand. A simple oil change at the dealer is 72 bucks. Four a year is $300 minimum with tax, etc. I paid $21 just yesterday at the dealer for my Chevy. (With a coupon).
    That's 14 oil changes!
    I long to see 40+ MPG in a vehicle with power. I really do. I have squeezed 30.5 from my Camaro on long trips. It is paid for, in excellent condition, looks great, but is 11 years old now. The insurance value is a lousy 3 grand. In far better shape than cars 3X that value.
    So that is my conundrum. Thanks for any replies, thoughts, suggestions.
    Drew VW in San Diego had 6 on the ground the other day. I asked the salesman how much they would come off of MSRP. He said they do what they have to do to sell cars. I would shoot them an email as well.
    You are right about Chevy service being less expensive than others. VW dealer charged me $50 for oil and filter change. You have to remember it is very expensive synthetic oil they use in the TDI. Toyota charges me more than that for a Dino oil change. I think quality wise the VWs have it over most of the Japanese and domestic makes. Reliability is not always great. Though I had no issues with my 2005 Passat TDI. You mentioned the value of your Camaro. When you go to sell the VW TDI you will more than get back the difference you paid.

Plus the oil change on the TDI is every 10K if I remember correctly. While on your Chevy it is 5k or less.
    All maintenance is included for first 36,000 miles. No charge, included in the vehicle price.

TDI pricing begins at $23,104, even in Wisconsin. There is a $1300 or higher tax credit on Golf and Jetta at least until June.

Oil changes are every 10,000 miles.

Oil and filter cost is just about $50 right now. Not inexpensive, cost may be lower in the future as more oil choices are available.

Like any manufacturer, dealers are independent franchise, so some service departments are great and others are not.

Independent shops are able to service VW's and TDI's with the qualification that a shop specializing in German or European makes will be the one that has the experience and tools to provide competent, quality service.

VW dealers and Euro focused repair shops are much more scarce compared to GM, Ford, Chrysler, or even Toyota dealers and shops. No doubt about it, VW sells fewer vehicles and some areas have no dealer and no competent shop to be found.

Brake longevity varies dependent on driving style and type of driving. Typically the pads will require replacement before 50,000 miles. Today's pads are engineered to provide best performance with minimal dust, noise, and still being "environmentally friendly. Longer lasting, harder compound pads are available from aftermarket. Nothing wrong with the engineering, the brakes work correctly.

Bottom line, it's a VW, and it's not only a diesel, it's the most complicated, high tech diesel VW has ever sold.
    VW TDI ownership requires a level of interest and involvement that exceeds the "drive it, change the oil and forget about the details" mindset that may work for a Malibu, though will lead to a "I hate this VW, miserable experience" if expectations are that TDI is just a vehicle that uses a different type of fuel. It is not the right vehicle for everyone.

Parts are more costly and some service is more expensive and more frequent comparing a VW to a Chevrolet.

Currently own a VW TDI, a U.S. assembled Japanese design vehicle, and a GM vehicle. Over the roughly 30 years of owning, driving, maintaining my vehicles I've found the German vehicles provide me with the most driving enjoyment and my anecdotal experience is that German, Domestic, Japanese vehicles all have about the same number of problems, though it requires more time to understand how to repair and to find a reasonable cost for parts for the Japanese and German vehicles than it does the domestic.

If you have no interest in doing some homework about your vehicle periodically to maintain knowledge, then VW TDI may not be for you.
  • ops2ops2 Member Posts: 6
    "If you have no interest in doing some homework about your vehicle periodically to maintain knowledge, then VW TDI may not be for you."

Do you or anyone else have suggestion on where to go for a good primer/spin up? I've done brakes (once) , changed oil, changed a fuel filter, fan belt, done some electrical on older cars but would like some good gouge on TDI. Once I use up the 3 free services on my '10 TDI Sportwagen, I'm hoping to do much of the routine stuff myself.

Thanks
    fred's tdiclub.com is the place to go to find all possible DIY/maintenance info about any year VW TDI.
    edited March 2010
    Thank you all for the replies. Gagrice touches on a 10k oil change interval. That would equal an oil change at .75 year intervals for me. I wouldn't do that to an engine. What is the calendar interval and do TDI owners really use that 10k figure? I would guess 6k and rotate the ties too.
    Moparbad (in VW sales?) uses the warning phrase "forget about the details" in what type of driver should not buy a TDI. First, tell me VW is not actively encouraging exactly that by including standard maintenance for 3 years. Next, besides keeping your car well maintained and keeping up on TSB's, what else is there? Some VW Zen I am not attuned to? And I just do not agree something is not goofed up on the brakes. In the non-VW world fronts wear before rears, and rears can go way past 50k. These must be some tiny pads (I have not seen them)
    and the braking differential VW chose is odd.

Last: does anyone here own a TDI in a true winter part of the country? what is your experience with heat waiting time with a cold-cold engine? In 5 minutes, I expect enough heat to begin clearing the windshield. I mean zero degrees frozen snow kind of conditions. The heated seats are nice, but don't clear windows.
    thanks again.
  • ops2ops2 Member Posts: 6
    We had some single digit (F) nights here with days that didn't get above freezing (or in some cases that didn't get above the teens). Didn't notice that the windshields took any longer to defrost than my old Saturn. I seem to recall that they have a heating element in the TDI to speed things up a bit. My wife was concerned about the diesel in the winter (cold, windy area) -- no problems what so ever. (knock wood) 9K miles and 6 months.

The mirror defrosters are phenomenal - ie turn them on after start the car, and by the time you're half done scraping the heavy frost , both mirrors are clear.
    lrobby, there's no reason to change oil more than VW recommends, aside from placebo affect or a desire to waste good oil, but you do what ya like...

I owned my TDIs in a true winter part of the country, with some 0F mornings most winters. The heat waiting time on a 0F cold-cold engine is infinite at idle - the engine will never warm up whatsoever like that.
    the electric-heater may provides enough heat to help you scrape a small portion of the windshield after 5 minutes, if you set the controls properly.
    On the brutally cold days, it will take more than 15 minutes for the car to provide adequate heat - with highway driving. On backroads/suburban-easy-cruising, the coolant may not fully warm up for a half hour or more.
    Consider the bun-warmer option as *mandatory* for cold climates.
    Also some TDI people use foam/tubes to cover up part of the grille during the winter, to allow for faster warmup. (i don't.)

I've had about 400k on TDIs so far without anything but normal maintenance - except:
    Passat TDI I sold to a friend had an unanticipated $2k required-maintenance due to bad "oil chain" design however. VW now sells a gear system to replace that - every surviving USA passat TDI will need that $2K job done around 100k, in addition to the $1k waterpump! imho that is not acceptable and would put me off VWs if I hadn't had such good luck with the other 3 TDIs.

as for brakes, my understanding/experience is that ABS allows manufacturers to optimize brake bias to use rear-brakes more than front under light braking. so drivers who avoid heavy braking due to more "predictive" driving may tend to wear out the rear pads faster than the front.
    some folks here have disagreed with that, but a couple of actual auto technicians have agreed.
    Thanks again for 2 more great replies. I notice a certain discrepancy in the heat issue and I am rather inclined to believe elias. I tested a new TDI on a very cold night just to determine the heating capability. I agree with elias a stone cold engine at idle is going to produce about as much heat in 5 mins or 10 mins or 20 mins as a shivering mouse. It's not that I am so wimpy that I want fast heat blowing in my face. But, rather, on those all too often occasions in winter, leaving the office to scrape ince and snow off the car, motor running, who wants to contend with the worst heat rate possible? And it just gets worse after that. Traffic from the industrial in thse conditions park is always at a snails pace. I drive about 16 miles, all on surface streets. Add it up: In the worst conditions, when you need it most, don't count on it. Oops2 mentions an electric heating element. Is thtis a fact? It went unnoticed and unmentioned on the test run I took at 7 above zero last January.

I hate to knock the car all here like so much. For me it sounds like a 90% pro, 10% con. But the 10% is a freezing cold, iced exterior windshield, frosted interior windshield, recurring, not enjoyable experience. Harder to reconcile than a healthcare refrom bill. I'll keep thinking about it, read Fred's, reviews, and these forums. Maybe I can switch to my wife's Corolla on certain days. her drive is much shorter and tthat thing has, of course, excellent heat. Thanks again.
  • rte2commuterrte2commuter Member Posts: 9
    I've gone through 10 brutal New England winters with a TDI and no garage. Clearing the windshield of ice and frozen snow is definitely a pain and it's true that interior heat won't do the job for you in 5 minutes (although the rear window defroster does clear ice in that time). So here's what you do - pick up a cloth windshield cover ($10-$30 on ebay). With that you don't even have to wait 5 minutes. Pull it off, shake it out, and you are on your way with zero wear and tear on the windshield.
  • ncskibumncskibum Member Posts: 42
    edited April 2010
    Just a few comments on lrobby's post.

I would change the oil at a six month interval if you're taking 9 months to drive the recommended 10k. The dealer/garage won't mind the extra work and money. I just traded my 2000 TDI Beetle in for a 2010 TDI JSW. The beetle had 138K and oil changed around every 10K except for the last two years. Just wasn't driving as much since the kids don't have to hauled around.

As for brakes, my beetle went through the rear rotors around 25K, just out of warrenty and only a couple 1000 miles after service. There was a TSB that the VW garage forgot to read or I would not have had to replace rotors, too. Due to the braking sdsitribution, the rear brakes took much more of the strain than the fronts. I did rears about every 30K and did the fronts for the first time at 125K. Each car is different. I had a 1984 S10 that shelled the engine at 120K and I never replaced the brakes.

Oh, to keep with the spirit of this thread:
    2010 JSW TDI with DSG and mat kit
    Sticker: $26885
    Tax/Title/Tag/Dealer fees: $1400
    Trade: $3200
    Out the door: $24272

Dropped $885 off the sticker, so about paid for the DSG. Good overall purchase without even asking about extended warranty or service plan. See Clovis at Carolina VW in Charlotte.
    UPDATE!

My dealer contacted me today to let me know that the new ETA is April 12th!

Earlier than expected...just a week from this coming Monday!

More updates coming...keep posted!

:)
  • cinabon5cinabon5 Member Posts: 1
    Local dealer in northern Chicago suburb quoted $25100 for a 2010 Jetta SW TDI manual trans (destination charges included, no options). What do you guys think about this price?
  • jpmnovajpmnova Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone have any sense (or guess) of whether VW will be bringing back the 0% APR financing rate? I know they are now offering 1.9% and some other carmakers seem to still be offering 0%. VW's sales seem to really be improving, so they may not need to go back down on the rate. Appreciate your thoughts, as I'm considering buying a Jetta this month or next.
    VW excludes TDI models from it's lowest financing rates majority of the time.
    MSRP is $25,365.00 for that configuration, so $25,100 isn't much of a deal. Some Dealers are refusuing to accept anything less than MSRP, others will. I'd shop around. Good luck in your search.
  • mkatmkat Member Posts: 8
    Thanks asa. I am definitely going to shop around!
    My TDI was due to arrive today. The good news was that it arrived early on Friday the 9th! The bad news was I didn't get to my credit union before it closed. However, I went in to VW on Sunday and filled out all of the paperwork. I just need to pick up my check from the bank today after work and drop it off at the dealer!

I did get a chance to drive it around for about a half an hour yesterday. My girlfriend bought a manual 2009 Jetta Sportwagen in August. While the cabin is very similar, I was surprised how different the driving experience was. From the awesome seats, to the wonderful leather wrapped steering wheel...it really felt different.

Also, the shorter wheel base was discernible. And while the car sounded different from my girlfriend's gas Jetta, it wasn't louder. It's got some nice get up and go!

4DR
    Tornado Red
    Manual six speed
    Protection Kit
    Cold Weather Package

MSRP: $24354.00

Total out the door with T&L, Doc Fee, Sales Tax:
    $26,535.94
  • murfemurfe Member Posts: 9
    I bought a 2010 Jetta TDI sedan with auto six months ago and having been tracking the mileage from the day I got it (5300 miles on it now). I found that in city driving that I am getting 29-30 mpg and I am getting 40 mpg on the highway. Drove to chicago from springfield Illinois last weekend and went a total of 440 miles using only 11 gallons , I think that is great. I am very happy with the ride,(17 inch wheels) and the handling was very responsive. I paid $200 under the MSRP so they did not deal too much but the tax credit and sales tax deduction really made me pull the trigger.
    That's one of the better prices I've seen paid for the TDI. Would you mind telling me who the dealer was?
    Thanks
  • hlinhlin Member Posts: 4
    I got an offer for Jetta TDI Manual with MSRP $25425. Negotiated price of $24500 but the car has 400 miles on it. I'm trading in 2006 Infiniti G35X with KBB value of $17000 to $18000. The Stealership offered $16,500. I haven't purchase many cars and wonder if this is a good deal? Any suggestion will be great.
    H,
    that seems like a decent deal to me and similar to the deals I've negotiated for my fleet of 03-06 TDIs, usually with trade-in.
    btw, those 400 miles are probably dealer/demo miles.
    but if the car has been titled before that's another story - I'd reevaluate in that case.
    you sure are going to enjoy that car, especially with the manual transmission, dude! G35X must have had a slushbox transmission, eh?
    cheers..
    /e
    Would you be able to give me a dealer name, because that beats anything I've been able to get, quote wise?
    Elias,
    Thanks for the advice. Drove the manual/auto transmission on TDI and it was pretty awesome. G35X is a little sluggish transmission but it down shifts and holds rev in corners. You can corner faster but also wears on brakes. 280hp is heavy and brake pads don't last long.
    Oli1,
    I did my research through autotrader and see who came out with good bids. I can't give you mine that I'm still working on but this dealer made the same deal. He was out of state. The dealer is Bommarito VW and the website is http://www.bommaritovwhazelwood.com/
    Ask for Charles Gilbert.
    Hope he gives you a great deal.