Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen TDI Models Prices Paid

Comments

• oli1oli1 Member Posts: 33
    Thanks
  • vinchenz61vinchenz61 Member Posts: 12
    Picked up my 2009 Jetta TDI in September of 2009. Took advantage of the cash for clunkers and traded in an old Durango. Got $4500 from Obama and another $1300 on the tax credit. Paid the dealer $21500 cash all in. With the tax credit netted $20,200 all in. TDI were going at a premium then but as Duranango was only worth about $2k.. all in all great deal.

Had some electricall issue with horn and windshield wiper motor, but all cleared up.

I have put on 15k+ mile plus in 6 months. 30 local 40 highway mix over 44 long distance highway. Car is fantastic.

Black auto
  • miamijerrymiamijerry Member Posts: 2
    Found the 2010 Jetta TDI model we want at a dealer in South Florida.

MSRP is 24,680.00, salesman will sell it for 24,100.00 Plus taxes and tag.

But they will not budge on a $599.95 dealer service fee.

Is this the best we can do ????

Would it make sense to order this car? We can wait if we can get a better price.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    What are you supposed to get for that $600 dealer fee? I would be looking at dealers across the state. Get the inventory list from here on Edmund's and start emailing dealers. I think they are pulling a scam. None of the dealers in CA have such a charge that I see.
  • longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    edited April 2010
    Dear MJ...you asked for advice, so here goes...don't deal on any 2010 Jetta right now. Their MSRP plus some scammy $$$$ extra charge is not really the issue, you know you are getting Sc#%@ed no matter what, they know it, we all know it.
    But here's the thing, VW is determined to go head to head with the Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, and Hyundai Sonota sized cars and the current Jetta is statistically not up to the job.

Internally known as NCS – or New Compact Sedan – this updated Jetta will be built on a re-engineered fifth-generation Jetta platform. The new model has also been referred to as the Jetta VI.
    Could also be an AWD option to help elbow it's way into the new 2011 line up.

The 2010 Jetta is mostly Hyundai Elantra sized (just higher in price with less warranty) so VW is bringing out the bigger version of the Jetta TDI this fall to mercifully put it into the new Jettacord, Jettason, Jettacam size.

Not a bad idea either, our 2006 sits right next to our 2007 Nissan Versa in the garage, and the wheel base is the same and most other specs are too. I would love to have a little more room in the Jetta, especially the very cramped leg room in the back, and a couple more inches in width.
    If you buy the 2010 you will miss out on what could be a very improved 2011 Jetta and from what the rumor mill is saying, at about the same price. The TDI engine will probably be the most sold, and I read that the gas VW 5 banger for the Jetta might be Kapoot in the future. (never had great MPG's)

They should have any glitches in the current 2 ltr TDI pretty much figured out in the 2011 as well, so no fear of "first of the new model" suprises.
    So give it 4 or 5 months and don't pick up the big bill for a small car.
  • miamijerrymiamijerry Member Posts: 2
    Where do I find the "Inventory List on Edmund's"?

Thanks
    Go to new cars and pick your make and model. Close to the top is a "Inventory" link. It will let you see all the cars available to your local dealers. Or what ever Zip code you put in.
  • barambarambarambaram Member Posts: 1
    I bought 2010 Jetta TDI model with auto transmission, Sun roof, 17'' Avignon alloy wheels, Rubber mat kit and Ipod interface.

MSRP is $26,554 (+destination charge), and I paid $740 under MSRP. After tax & fee, it was $28,700.. and I bought 6yr 100k mile extended warranty at $2000.

This is my first VW... I am happy with my Jetta :)
  • hokie28hokie28 Member Posts: 16
    Are there any dealerships selling this? I can't seem to find any in the Washington D.C. area.
  • ncskibumncskibum Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2010
    That's one of the better prices I've seen paid for the TDI. Would you mind telling me who the dealer was?
    Thanks

Carolina VW on Independence Blvd in Charlotte
  • belaircarguybelaircarguy Member Posts: 107
    I currently own and drive a 2009 Jetta 2.5 gas engine automatic. Years ago I owned a VW Diesel Rabbit. While the diesel certainly got much better mileage (about 40 mpg), the engine did require some cleaning of the injector nozzles and other items that a gas engine did not need. Additionally, while the VW diesel engine was very good, unfortunately VW did not beef up the rest of the car to match the engine. I drove that about 145,000 miles, and the engine was still strong but the rest of the car was shot.

Look at a Mercedes diesel and check the build quality of that vs the Mercedes gas cars. Diesel has heavier components, as they want both the car and the engine to last a long time.

Prior to purchasing my 2009 Jetta, I did drive both the gas and diesel. I did not see a huge difference in build quality. It will remain to be seen if the car will last as long as the engine.

Bel Air Car Guy
  • jlouis99jlouis99 Member Posts: 2
    Greetings.

Looking for information on the money factor for a 2010 Golf TDI DSG 4 door. It's for 3 years, 36,000 miles.

Just need to know if I can negotiate lower.

Thanks!
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    The money factor is fixed and so is the residual. You can negotiate off the msrp.
    Can't find much on the golf diesel. If you are leasing, the extra cost of the diesel won't pay off for the 3 year term. They are usually poor leases. they can be good buys if you drive a lot of miles and keep it for 100k. Check mattie imports web site for sample payments on golfs. You can call I suppose to get more details. If you live in the northeast they say they deliver free. I would go with a gas model when leasing.
  • vigorlovervigorlover Member Posts: 40
    Do you have an idea when we might expect the 2011 Jetta TDI to arrive? We are looking at the 2010 right now and want to know how long we might wait for the new one.
    edited May 2010
    Word is that when the new jetta starts to show up, the tdi version won't be in the mix until even later. If you like the tdi, I can't see any reason to wait for the new one. Could be a while and they will likely be loaded with market adjustment dealer bumps. To check prices check mattie imports site. Another consideration is that you are better off with the last year version with the gremlins minimized than the brand new remake.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    jlouis99...

I moved your lease question post here:

Volkswagen Golf Lease Questions

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• bigdog20bigdog20 Member Posts: 3
    What price can I expect to pay for a 2010 Jetta DSG TDI with no options? I looked up the invoice price at $23,219 including the $750 destination charge.
    If you can get 500 off msrp on a tdi you are doing well. You can do much better on a gas model. It will take many years to break even on fuel costs according to most cost comparisons.
    Then you are stuck driving the gas version. Unless you get the turbo charged model. Then you have to buy Premium gas. I would never buy a gas VW. About 80% of buyers agree.
    The new 2.0 turbos use regular gas.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I would never buy a gas VW. About 80% of buyers agree

Is that just a personal opinion or is that the actual sales breakdown?
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    According to the Elias TDI Bureau, 80% of VW buyers wish they could get a TDI but many of those folks have to settle for the gas VW.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    LOL...

At least these are scientific findings... :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jswtdifanjswtdifan Member Posts: 9
    Actually, about 85% of JSW's sold are TDI - see this link:

http://moneywatch.bnet.com/economic-news/blog/cars-money/cars-with-the-most-mpg-- for-your-money/532/

I am often amused by comparisons of the TDI to gas versions and the statements of how it would take long to recoup the diesel premium. This is nonsense. The TDI is it's own trim level with several added features compared to the base JSW. Also, it is an APPLES and ORANGES comparison. Have you ever driven a diesel with 236 ftlbs of torque? Will a gasser last 400K miles or more?

We have the 2010 JSW TDI with manual transmission and pano roof. It's a great car. I never even considered the gas version and would not buy it. The TDI engine was a big part of our purchase decision.
    I was actually curious if the sales of VWs offering the TDI approaches anywhere near 80% of total sales of those models. I'm sure it isn't quite that high but wonder if anyone has a handle on the actual numbers?
    No offense but I'm not that interested in specifically the JSW. I was looking for more general info in regards to total Jetta, Golf, etc models that offer the TDI and what percentage TDI make up of all those sales. I heard or read somewhere awhile back that it was around 50/50 but not sure.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    i recall reading that there is a 65/35 or 60/40 gas/diesel split for USA deliveries of Jetta...
    (The number is most definitely known/published/available on Freds and probably the vortex too.)
    Thanks. I assume that would be a lot closer to 50/50 in Europe then or even reversed, 40/60.
    I stopped into my VW dealer a couple days ago. I wanted to see the White gold metallic color. The sales person told me they are expecting the 2011 Tiguan to be offered with the 2.0L TDI. That will get my attention.

You are also right about comparing gas to diesel. It is a poor example as there is NO comparison to the driving. And you will get the extra back when you sell or if you keep it till it falls apart. The VW TDI is the only real winner in their fleet.
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    If the'11 Tig comes with the 2.0 TDI, my wife will trade in her '08 Jetta.
  • jswtdifanjswtdifan Member Posts: 9
    Thanks - I forgot to mention depreciation. The diesel holds its value.
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    We were quite excited by the Tiguan, but we lost interest when we looked behind the rear seat -- there's only 23.8 CuFt. of space back there. Sportwagen by comparsion holds 32.8 CuFt. We bought the JSW TDI and have enjoyed it a great deal so far. It's our first VW and we hope all of the advanced engine technology in this car survives the years without fuss.
    The Sportswagen is much roomier than the Tiguan. I like the ground clearance. I live in the Peoples Republic of CA and the roads are 3rd World as we have blown our $billions in wasteful spending. We have potholes that will swallow a midsized sedan.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ....I'm 7.5 miles south of CA's capitol (the roads really arent that bad (IMHO).........

Yesterday I test drove a TDI JSW 6M w/no sunroof. Niello is getting MSRP. CarsDirect shows only the dealer purchase option for this model. Must be selling!!
    (I used CarD 5 years ago - only dealer involvement was delivery - and got a great price. The JSW TDI would be a good complement to my '82 Rabbit diesel pickup.

ez....
    edited May 2010
    My local Dealer too said that it was MSRP or nothing. They were nice about it, but it was clear that no price negotiation would take place. I visited VW's website, checked inventory on line at a great many regional Dealers and found several Dealers who were willing to take less than MSRP. With the $1,300 U.S. Federal tax credit getting halved after 06/30/10, perhaps remaining 2010's (if any) will be sold at favorable prices to make room for the 2011s. The Sportwagen TDIs don't remain long on Dealer lots however. The 2011 JSW TDI will not have any significant changes, except for two new colors I think -- a new blue and brown. Old blue will be dropped. Some stereo changes too.
    The current Sportswagen is the upgraded design. It is the same as the Golf Wagons sold in Europe. Not sure what the new Jetta sedan will be built off of. I like the front end on the 2010 Sportswagen much better than the older model. And they are a good seller for VW. My choice of what VW is currently offering.
    Yep, the new Jetta Sportwagen/Golf is lovely and of the perfect size. Without any explanation, on 05/28/10 VW announced that 2011 Jetta TDI production will be delayed until January 2011. I wonder what's going on? They said the same TDI engine will be carried over, so no major engine change is in the works. Speculation is that perhaps VW is addressing random (and VERY expensive) high pressure fuel pump failures in the 2.0L TDI, but nobody knows for sure.
    "VW announced that 2011 Jetta TDI production will be delayed until January 2011"

That is bad news. I have been waiting to see the bigger Jetta 2011 style with the idea of trading off my 2006 TDI to get the extra room promised in the new model.

The trade off on our Jetta's large trunk is the cramped leg room in the back seat, no reason to keep the Jetta Toyota Corolla size with that much power and mpg's.

Common, VW, lets get building!
  • chrishhchrishh Member Posts: 17
    Does anyone know VWs loan rates on TDI Golfs?

They are at zero for non-TDI Golfs so I would hope they would have low rates for the TDI models, my CU is currently at 4.75
    I don't understand it all, but in 2011 the new Chattanooga, TN plant will start manufacturing a new midsize VW sedan to compete with Accord, Camry and Sonata. The base line model will be pretty inexpensive, which will put pricing pressure on the smaller size Jetta. It'll be interesting to see how VW balances this out.

The base Jetta sedan models will eventually have an inexpensive simple torsion-beam rear suspension to cheapen their cost, but upscale Jettas will retain the more expensive independent rear suspension they have today. I'm not sure when the Jetta changes will be made. I think Sportwagen will be immune from these changes for several years, as the current model is only two years old. We love the size of our '10 Sportwagen TDI.
  • conjettconjett Member Posts: 8
    edited June 2010
    Got an internet quote for $23,513 plus destination, tax, tags and processing fees which brought it to about 25,300. Trade in was 4500 for a 2005 Hyundai Tucson 4 cyl 2wd with about 50,400 (probably could have haggled a little better on that) and opted for 7 year extended warranty for 2000 just to be safe and got a 3.99 finance rate. The car only had 51 miles at the time of purchase (about 10 of those came from my test drive). And still have the 1300 alternative fuel tax credit. I think I got a good deal.
  • donthegreekdonthegreek Member Posts: 127
    New model looks nice though a bit on the conservative side.Official photos are out! On sale in october.
    I like the looks a lot more than the last generation.

edited June 2010
    Well there goes my reason for buying a new 2011 Jetta.

It was supposed to compete with the Camry but it's still 6" shorter!

According to the nearest guy with a tape masure, it is also 9" shorter than a Malibu!

Seems even with a brand new model and all the mid size sedans out there to measure for themselves, VW just can't get it right.

This 3.5" longer 2011 Jetta was touted to be the new Mid Size competitive Car.

The all-new 2011 Hyundai Sonata (35 mpg) is placed right into the middle of the hotly-contested family sedan segment, already occupied by such established players as the Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Nissan Altima, Ford Fusion and Chevrolet Malibu, to name just a few.

The new 2011 Jetta was supposed to be in there with that gang, not showing up with a little porked up 3200 lb. Toyota Corolla.

AAARRGH! :mad:
    The key is interior room and comfort. When does a mid size become a full size? I think the Accord is bigger than the Camry. The Sportwagen is roomier than the Camry or Accord. Not to mention nearly twice the mileage in reality. I think VW did a good job with the new Jetta look. Did they dumb down the suspension and handling to cut the price for the less discriminating US driver?
    The new 2011 Jetta was supposed to be in there with that gang

Where did this come from? I haven't read or seen anything that said the Jetta was supposed to move up and compete in the midsize class. Everything I've read is that the new midsize car that VW is going to produce in the US, I think Tennessee, is going to fill that role and take the place of the Passat eventually. It's getting confusing with the Jetta getting bigger, a new midsize car without a name, is the Passat going to continue to be sold in the US, the CC. :confuse:
    Adding 3.5" to the Jetta certainly didn't make it "mid-size" not even close. It's still a Compact sedan that's now a touch larger and heavier than the Versa, Corolla, Elantra etc.
    VW has said all along their one of goals was to make the Jetta quicker saying it takes way to long on the line to assemble.

Better they has said "we want to make the Jetta BETTER" but they didn't and probably regret they way those comments got quoted..

The Company is still on that course tho as this item came in this morning...

"Volkswagen reported a profit for the year and record sales, confirming numbers released early this month. But a closer look showed that its premium Audi unit accounted for almost all the operating profit of 1.9 billion euros, which was a 71 percent decline from 2008.

Audi last week reported an operating profit of 1.6 billion euros. That means Volkswagen's volume brands, barely broke even, according to Ferdinand Dudenhöffer, director of the Center for Automotive Research at the University of Duisburg-Essen in Germany.

''VW Group profit is based almost exclusively on the strength of Audi,'' Mr. Dudenhöffer wrote. ''VW Group's volume brands are headed for a new cost problem.''

I think VW has a huge product problem right now, they promoted a new model Jetta that would compete with the 'mid-size' vehicles but this new Jetta falls far short of that. They have the Passat, still not 'Accord size' and the expensive, CC.. that actually is a "Mid-Size"

So by adding a puny 3.5 " to the old Jetta, dropping a dumpster full of suspension parts and who know what else to cut corners, is this going to push their world sales through the roof....

I think their new company focus is now on getting into the electric/hybrid market and the TDI's are now stalled in place on the drawing board, while the designers all go marching off in another direction. Even their new elect/hybrid design uses a gas engine....

All I'm saying is..no new VW for me. :sick:
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    It was supposed to compete with the Camry but it's still 6" shorter!

Jetta is a compact.
    VW called the 2011 the NCS or New Compact Sedan prior to it's press conference to introduce the Jetta on the 15th.

NMS or New Midsize Sedan is the competitor to Malibu, Fusion, Camry, Accord, Sonata.

NMS will be built in Chattanooga, TN beginning in 2011. It will likely have Passat nameplate in North America.

No need to be mad longo2.

VW just can't get it right.

Well, VW could not be more clear, NCS = Compact, NMS = Midsize