Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• pds1pds1 Member Posts: 24
    Now that the 2009 RLs are hitting the showroom, it looks like they will be priced to move in a difficult environment. For 36 months, $1500 down (including first payment), 12,000 miles, it's looking like $599 all in with tax.
  • avery8avery8 Member Posts: 4
    hi all,
    new to this site
    currently driving a bmw 530 and going off lease

i drove a 2008 rl today and liked it
    i was wondering about prices
    they offered the 2008 at $40,200 and the 2009 at $44,800, both of these are for non-tech

are these good prices or are better deals out there?

thanks in advance
  • desert_ratdesert_rat Member Posts: 23
    I think, there are deals out there 10k below invoice for 2008s, at least there were a month ago.
    It seems Acura is anxious to get the 2009 out on the road so people can see it. Lots of favorable deals being struck on this brand new model year.

I have heard of lease payments in the $550 per month range with little or no money down.
  • 23109vc23109vc Member Posts: 218
    Acura in Carlsbad quoted the following for a new 2009 RL (this was NOT some loaded up with tech/CMBS/etc.. this was a BASE RL)

MSRP was like $50k

$5000 down
    $662/month including 7.75% tax. seemed WAY high.

i toldthem that the Acura website advertised 3600 down and $549/month + tax which wuld be about $599/month..

their "deal" was about $3600 MORE over the life of the lease. they said that was because the advertised deal was for 10k and THIS deal was for 12k.

10k --> 12k = $3600?? I walked out.
    Looks like leasing is a thing of the past. They've dropped the residuals and raised the interest rates to a point where leasing is challanging to say the least.

After years of addicting the public to the painless, no money down, sign and drive programs - the car companies are suddenly worried about residual values and eating the cars that come back.

Question one....where will all those down-payments come from??
  • jmfdonejmfdone Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

Sorry if this is not quite on topic but I am choosing between two cars and could use some advice. I am looking at certified used acuras. I have narrowed the selection down to two cars, quite different:

1) 2005 RL, loaded with NAV 39K miles. Outstanding condition (silver w. black interior) for $24880.

2) 2006 TSX also loaded w. NAV 30K miles. Again outstanding condition (black and black). price on this one $21 - 22K

Both have clean carfax reports.

The dealer is urging me to go w. the RL saying it is a much better value and that it is much more car. I feel like either deal is pretty good. Does anyone have any input as to whether it truly is a no brainer? The other thing is that the dealer is presenting me with these cars at these prices because of a major error they committed and he claims that these deals (particularly the RL) is a great deal. Finally, the TL is not in the running because he does not have any certified ones with NAV and I really want NAV.

Thanks
  • tonycdtonycd Member Posts: 223
    The dealership's "major error" may have been to not auction off the RL. To put it mildly, they're not selling well.

Seriously, I've owned neither car, but inspected both and driven the RL. "Better value" depends on your situation, because the two cars are in entirely different classes. The RL is a somewhat cramped but full-on luxury sedan, very substantial, a bit anesthetized but enormously capable. The TSX is a mainstream European (read: small) family sedan. It's a lighter, noisier and more tossable car, a European Accord but for a full load of options and an Acura logo.

If you value luxury and effortless cruising, it's the RL all the way. If "value" is measured by materials quality and feature content, the RL likewise wins in a walk.

If you're driving a lot of city miles, however, the TSX's gas mileage is a huge advantage over the RL, whose MPG nosedives down well into the teens around town. Also on the downside, the '05 was the first year for this generation of the RL and went through a lot of highly annoying quality problems, mostly with its finicky electronics. I personally would seek out an '06 or '07 instead, which seem to have been mostly debugged.

Best of luck, whatever your choice.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    If I were in your situation (and not knowing what your driving style is), I'd go for the RL. Much more luxurious inside than the TSX. For once, the salesman is telling the truth. At those prices, the RL is a better value. You might be able to get even more off the RL since they're probably desparate to offload it, but I wouldn't feel ripped off at that price. But like tonycd said, if you do a lot of around-town driving (and the price of gas is a factor to you), the TSX is the way to go. Also, if you're into a weekend drive on a tight, twisty road, the TSX is the better choice. If you just want something to cruise in and feel like you're in the lap of luxury, the RL would be the way to go; not that it's all that great of a cruiser.
    Has anyone actually bought an 09 yet? Can you let us know what you paid for it? Hearing all kinds of stories regarding the popularity or lack of it.

The market's tough for premium fuel cars right now. Any real life experience with an RL buy (or lease) would be appreciated.
    :confuse:
  • reji007reji007 Member Posts: 10
    I went to an Acura dealership in Bridgewater, NJ (interested in leasing an RL) and the only RL that they had in stock was the one in the showroom. They said that they expected to get more of them in around September.

Sat in the one in the showroom for a bit, and I have to admit that it is quite nice. I have a well equipped 06 M35x and I don't think I'd lose out on many features by switching to the RL (just some back seat room).
  • gearheadedgearheaded Member Posts: 19
    reji007,
    Just curious if you own an 06 M35x why you're now considering the RL? I was torn between RL and M35x when I bought in 07 but am happy with my choice although I am experiencing engine knock at high ambient summer temperatures even using premium fuel like many other owners and am very unhappy about it :( . This makes me wonder whether the M35 would have been a better choice... How have you found it?
  • reji007reji007 Member Posts: 10
    gearheaded,

Yup, have a 2006 M35x which I leased back in 2005. Car has been great to drive and the technology inside is outstanding.

I'm considering the 2009 RL for a few reasons. First off, I can't seem to get a great lease deal on the M35x. Second, I test drove the new M35 and was very unhappy that they took away funtionality that you can use while driving, when it comes to using voice commands (they really limit what you can now do with voice commands and even my 2007 Altima offers more in this department). Also the fact that the passenger can't use the Nav while I'm driving is something I'm getting kinda annoyed with. Finally, after driving an Infiniti for 3+ years, I'd like a bit of change (the interior of the car is VERY similar between a 2006 model and a 2008 model).

I still have a couple of months before my lease is up, but the RL is something I'm now considering. I still need to test drive it and play with some of the gizmos inside but overall I did like the car I saw in the dealship (minus the limited backseat legroom).
  • dandgdandg Member Posts: 91
    Hi all,
    been looking for a low miles (under 20) 06-07 nice sedan for myself.May be go with a new one if price was right (seems from reading the board 10k off list is possible?).
    Wife has Lexus so I want something different.
    BMW 5 and 7 's all have that damn "I drive" so I ruled them out.
    M/B E350's have vinyl interior (they call it MB tex) and only get a leather insert with option not many have even that.Ruled them out.
    Toying with myabe Audi and Acura. want leather and wood (both real-NO vinyl) not big on tech (no nav is fine) just nice ride and dependabilty.
    Thoughts on the RL as a possibilty? I am in NH and pickings are slim,need to shop Mass as well to get any choices (like the ebony interior.wood/leather wheel and grey or black exterior.
    thanks of help
  • dandgdandg Member Posts: 91
    Looking to see what the new incentives and holdbacks are?
    Dealer has a 08 RL with tech demo that might have potential if he really get agressive.
    Thanks
  • kimohhkimohh Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone priced or bought a 2009 RL in the DC, MD, VA area lately?

I have been getting "special internet price" quotes right at MSRP...
  • bobby423bobby423 Member Posts: 8
    With the economy in the tank, they will have to deal. Improvements seem great. It's a nice car but MSPR is not real world. The car has not and never will be in demand. It's quite pricey and with the new TL arriving, that's additional competition and the TL costs a heck of alot less. The RL is going to be discounted...again eventhough that's not what Acura set out to do this time around.
    Looking for a 2009 RL in New Jersey. I am hearing the same MSRP nonsense. They also killed the residual on the leases.

It does not really seem like Acura wants to sell these cars. They have curtailed production significantly, so there just are not that many of them around.

I guess they are putting their eggs in the TL basket until the next generation RL arrives in 2011 or so.

If anyone has bought an RL in NJ, please let us know what you paid.

Thanks
    There are not many 2009 RL's around here in the Southwest either. I asked one of the large dealers when he will get 2009 RL's when he opened a chat window. He said I has one in stock, but when I told him, that's not much of a choice he immediately closed the chat window.
  • lsemomlsemom Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

I went to a dealer in Macon GA yesterday and was quoted $42K+ to buy a 2008 RL Tech Package with 6K miles on it. It was an owner demonstrator and their argument for what I thought was a high price was that the car had never been titled, so it was a "new" car. Essentially, I was told that no one but me would think that the 6K miles should reduce the price. The fact that this was a 2008 and not a 2009 did not seem to make any difference either. Their final point was that since it had not been titled, one could get new car financing on the transaction. I did not want financing, so that was not a factor to me. Am I off base here to think that 6K miles on a year old model should matter? I see these cars with similar mileage all over the internet for $37-39K. They just do not happen to be in central Georgia.
  • smithsongasmithsonga Member Posts: 123
    they are crazy. The miles determine if a car is used, not the title.

that is only useful in getting new car lease or financing. The price should be a used car value. they are trying to pull one on u.
  • cowboyatthiswacowboyatthiswa Member Posts: 20
    ditto....they're trying to play you.....just call around....plenty of dealers wanting to do business with you in the Southeast and ship you the car as well for better price!!! remember, the economy is hurting all the dealers, so play them on that info.....side note, the MDX is selling below invoice easily now, whereas it used to be an MSRP or above car! haha, shows them the economy will dictate the prices!
    Thanks. I now feel that my sanity is not in question. Frankly, I was rather insulted when I was told that 6K miles made no difference and I would be buying a new car. I know that buying a car is a game, but come on!
  • jensadjensad Member Posts: 388
    JMO, I think that dealer's offer was a slap in the face. I purchased a 08 new RL in Ca, aka Disneyland, in Feb 08. I played the game and got the price down from $52000 to $ 42500 plus tx. They tried to play me "low ball" with my trade in, however, I got middle blue ala Kelly's bb which was what I expected

Suggest sending emails to about six or seven dealers in it can be done in the area where you reside. I sent 7 dealers in the area I live in, with the other dealer's names and emails address on my email. Got one from 30 miles away for $ 41750. Decided to stay local for 42500. Almost all of the quotes were about 42k to 43k.

Good luck to you and all others and stay safe.

jensad
    Thanks for the advice. I actually am in a small GA town but am centrally located in the state. I will have to buy the car out of town anyway, so I will be shopping most of the dealers in GA and maybe even some in SC. The Macon dealership was just my first stop and I haven't bought a car since my 2000 RL, which I bought new in 2000. I was just a little alarmed with this quote and wanted get some feedback from those who have had some more recent experiences buying RLs. This forum has been very helpful. Thanks to all!
  • rgraybillrgraybill Member Posts: 9
    I haven't been able to find an 09 RL with the CMBS. The largest local dealer can't get one until March. Acura doesn't seem to want to build many of these.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    ... He said I has one in stock, but when I told him, that's not much of a choice he immediately closed the chat window.

If that's how he said it, you should have been the one who immediately closed the chat window! :P
    I have the feeling he is frustrated too. He has now two 2009 and all 2008 are gone. This is a large dealership.
    I am now about ready to purchase a 2009 RL. Has anybody heard if the marketing support will be back for December 2009?
    I've tried to order an '09 RL with CMBS and Pax from Pohanka in Chantilly, VA. The order won't go out until December with delivery in March. I spoke to the dealer initially in September. I think that configuration is especially difficult as the demand is less than the regular tech package.
    09 RL with Tech - $45.9 all in - 0.9 financing for 3 years.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi desert_rat. Unfortunately, Acura is not providing any dealer cash on the 2009 RL in December. It is only providing 0.9% to 2.9% special financing or a special lease program on it.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    What's going on. The dealerships seem to run out of RL. Someahe 1 and some have none. Is Acura preparing a US assembly line and they are late? Would make sense with the high Yen/$ exchange. The TL is getting assembled in the US already.
    I heard through the grapewine, production has been halted and the next shipment is not coming in before 10 weeks.
    Has anybody else heard more specifics?
  • bentonyuebentonyue Member Posts: 5
    How much off MSRF do I expect to pay for a 09 MDX with Tech and Entertainment Packages in Los Angeles Area?
  • vavavavolvovavavavolvo Member Posts: 110
    This is the RL discussion site. Go to the MDX site.
  • mugenex6mugenex6 Member Posts: 33
    Very Quiet forum... noone buying a 2009 RL or not getting any good offers I take it?

What do you guys think of $41,000 for a 2008 RL with Tech Package?
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    If it is a brand new 2008 I will take it and run.
    looks good. I have seen $11,000 off MSRP. This is much better.
    Well.. We started doing the paperwork and it turns out that 0.9% Financing for 2008 RL's has expired on Dec 10th 2008. The lowest I'm able to find is 6% Interest (Thru Dealer or Acura both). Since we were in so deep into negotiations and excitement, The Dealership has offered me $500 over invoice for 2009 RL w/ Tech. (yes, RL, not TL).

Dilemma:
    1. Should I go with the 2008 RL (Tech Pkg) for 41K and 6% Interest..... ORRR...
    2. A 2009 RL (Tech Pkg) for ~46K with 0.9%. (The difference in Tax doesnt concern me too much).
    3. My only other choice is to go with a 2008 TL w/ Navi which would be about 30K ..... but no choice of color.

I can certainly use some help from my fellow Edmunds friends. I love this forum!!
  • vavavavolvovavavavolvo Member Posts: 110
    I'd do the 09. Many nice changes to be found inside and out. Also, account for the extra year of depreciation with the 08 on resale.

What color choice do you have on the RL. I think dark colors look better with that new grille.
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    I agree. For only $5,000 difference between an 08 and an 09, for me it would be no-brainer. I really liked the 09 - not enough to trade in my 05, but if I had a choice between purchasing an 08 or an 09 I wouldn't hesitate. There are enough little differences between the two.

And definitely don't forget the extra year of depreciation. Many people forget that one of the main reasons last year's model is cheaper is it's truly lost value, even though it's never been driven. That loss of value is permanent as you'll find when you get ready to trade it in on your next car.
    I'm behind the wheel of an 09 RL after returning my 05. This is a much improved car. I'd don't think I'd buy the 08 if I could swing the 09.

The 09 is smoother, silkier and far more quiet than was my 05. Just an all around great car. The nicest thing about the RL is the feeling it gives you when you drive it. With the SH-AWD, the bullet-proof navigation system, the flawless vtec engine and the solid suspension - you feel like you can go anywhere in this car without the fear of breaking down, getting lost or not making it back. It is the most trusted vehicle I have every owned.
    I test drove the '09 and agree with everything you say. I've ordered one with the pax/CMBS and have been waiting for three months. Last word from the dealer was March sometime.
    Gray
    :)
  • Ryanme17Ryanme17 Member Posts: 1
    I went to a dealership to look at some low-mileage Honda Accords. While there I couldn't help noticing a 2005 Acura RL with 86,000 miles for $15,995.

What do you guys think? Is this a good price? Although I current vehicle is a 1992 Civic with 230,000 miles on it, I'm pretty wary of spending that much money on a car with that many miles on it. How reliable has the RL been for those of you with higher miles? I know it's Acura reliability, but it just seems like there's so much that could go wrong on a car with that many features.

Other questions: Does the real time traffic require a separate subscription? How has gas mileage compared to the EPA estimates of 18/26? I apologize if this info is listed elsewhere, but I'm new to the forum and not sure where to look.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts that you guys have.
  • gator5000egator5000e Member Posts: 90
    I have a 2005 RL that is coming off lease. I leased the car the first month or so they were available. There were a number of issues in the first 6-8 months but most were taken care of. A good site to check on RL issues is Acurazine.com RL forums. There have been some issues since as well. I would make sure it comes with or buy a full warranty just to be safe.

Yes the NavTraffic is a separate subscription from the regular XM radio subscription. My gas milegage is worse then the mileage you stated. I get 15-16 in town under normal driving. Maybe 17 if I baby it. I get 22-24 in highway driving. It also requires premium fuel.

Hope this helps.
  • jimbob1jimbob1 Member Posts: 70
    >>>>>>Dilemma:
    1. Should I go with the 2008 RL (Tech Pkg) for 41K and 6% Interest..... ORRR...
    2. A 2009 RL (Tech Pkg) for ~46K with 0.9%. (The difference in Tax doesnt concern me too much).
    3. My only other choice is to go with a 2008 TL w/ Navi which would be about 30K ..... but no choice of color.

With the difference in interest, the monthly payment will probably be about the same. That alone would push me to the 09.
  • smithsongasmithsonga Member Posts: 123
    I would suggest the '09 RL. You will be paying more principal, less interest. And the 2008 RL resale value will be horrendous as compared to the new model.
  • gator5000egator5000e Member Posts: 90
    Has anyone gotten a RL tech lease offer that is better than the Acura advertised RL lease deal? Please share if yes. Thanks. (no real activity in the RL lease forum)
    I've now been offered $100 over invoice on 2009 RL w/tech. Let's see what happens when I step into the dealership. I'll keep you folks updated. Thanks again to everyone that responded to my questions. :)