Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kennyg8kennyg8 Member Posts: 225
    What dealer in NJ did you buy from? In NYC - Long Island area - dealers are insisting on $43k. I countered with $41.5k, but they would not budge. I guess there are fewer RLs left in these dealers' inventory and they are taking a tough position.

I don't mind driving to NJ to save $1.5k, and I think the round trip should take no more 3 hours, which works out to savings of $500 per hour, which is quite acceptable.
  • crazyfurbycrazyfurby Member Posts: 9
    CrazyFurby has no crazy tips to share. I used this forum to arrive to my initial offer of 41.5. I did agree to additional $189 documentation fee so everyone can be happy. On Saturday, when we came to pickup the car, the whole experience was smooth and pleasant. My family got small gifts: Acura t-shirts, hats, and EZ-Pass holder. The finance manager was not pushing any of the extras. He did ask if I want any warranties or add-ons but did not press once I told him that I am not interested. We signed the papers and shook hands. Everyone seemed happy with the transaction. It might sound crazy, especially coming from CrazyFurby, but I wanted the dealer to be comfortable with the transaction. So I was glad when the salesman thanked me for my purchase and asked me to recommend them to my friends... I hope my experience helps other potential buyers!
    I bought my Acura RL from Park Ave. Acura in New Jersey . I had three dealers that agreed to my offer of 41.5: Park Ave. Acura, Acura of Ramsey, and Montclair Acura. Between these three dealers there was as a slight difference in documentation fee: $159, $189, and $199. I chose Park Ave. Acura because they were the closest to where we live, the salesperson was a normal person, and we came to them first. You might tell me that I am crazy and ask why I did not start a bidding war between the three dealers. Simply I did not want to ruin a pleasant experience of purchasing an expensive car. Also, please note that a much higher number of dealers in the tri-state area told me that I was crazy and my offer was too low. CrazyFurby was flattered and pleased to be called crazy!
  • train567train567 Member Posts: 4
    which sales guy did you use? Also looking at the same car they quoted 43.3 over the phone. Who do you recommend at ramsey acura?
    The forum rules prohibit exchanging names. When I came to Ramsey Acura the best quote for an RL was 43.9. When the sales guy called me a few days latter, I told him that I already have two dealers who accepted 41.5 plus documentation fee. He quickly agreed to match that price but I was no longer interested. My advice is to tell them when they call you (they will call you) is that you are not looking to negotiate anymore since you already found a dealer that accepted your offer. You will be surprised how quickly the table will turn in your favor. In any case 43.3 is too high. You can buy an RL through www.carsdirect.com for 42.5 without leaving your chair.
    Thanks great advice
    How do you like the car so far. I've heard everything from a suped up accord to better than a 5 series. what is your first impressions
  • munitzmunitz Member Posts: 3
    Hay guys, there really is a car god. I got a 2006 RL, sticker $50,345 for $41,000 plus $100 tag, $399 dealer doc. Plus the dealer is delivering the car to me friday at my house. The reason for the stupid pricing is RL sales are down 49%, the factory is giving the dealers $3,000. rebate and Acura is going to turn out a base RL in 2007 without navi, on star and a couple other goodies. Look for a sticker of about $44,000. Now is probably the best time to buy a RL. If you bought last year you got jabbed. Did I mention 2.9% money for 36 months. Good luck RL lovers.
    I love my new RL. It is not an Accord on steroids. Also, I would not compare it to any BMW since your choice depends on what are you looking for - an ultimate driving machine or a nice blend of luxury and performance. Take RL for a test drive and tell us what you think. Also, based on a recent post you can get one for a few hundred dollars less than what I paid for it! What are you waiting for?
    I was very impressed with the handling. Held the corners very well at higher speeds. I give the credit to the sophisticated awd system. Nice pick up for a heavy car, as well. I was so impressed with the performance and the luxurious interior that I bought the car today. Got a good deal. Paid 42,200 (inluded in the price are wood steering wheel, wood shift knob, splash guards and wheel locks) plus 189 doc fee and taxes. Tried hard to get better deal but other dealers could only get within a $250. This is a great vehicle for the money.
  • realfanrealfan Member Posts: 4
    I, too, had a great experience on July 5th. Saw the $3K rebate on this website and e-mailed three dealers. Negoiated a deal for the RL without the Tech Package for $40,750 + fees. Definitely a motivated seller who disclosed the rebate as soon as I asked.
  • bolesjbolesj Member Posts: 1
    Got mine for 40,500...plus the normal tags & title fees.
    Radley Acura in VA.
  • gearheadedgearheaded Member Posts: 19
    Bolesj,
    Did this price include destination fees? Any secret to getting this quote? Did you go through their internet department? Any details appreciated.
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Member Posts: 225
    Has the incentive expired? I wonder if many RLs were sold due to the incentive. If not, there is a good chance that Acura will continue or extend the incentive. Is the incentive particular to each state or is it nationwide?
  • dynamicaidynamicai Member Posts: 1
    The incentive was extended to end of July I think. 40.5k is great. Scanlon Acura in FL has any new RL on EBay for 41.5k. I have gotten 2 dealers(OH area) to match this price. Now I just need to get the best deal. Calling Radley in VA may not be a bad idea.
  • falcon70falcon70 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone out there have any Austin/San Antonio RL buying experience?
  • am_odessaam_odessa Member Posts: 7
    Just drove away in Meteor Silver / Ebony for $40700 + ttl; the transaction has been very efficient.
  • voodoo11voodoo11 Member Posts: 5
    "bolesj"sounds like you got a great deal. I have a few questions and hope you could answer:
    Which local dealers did you work with prior to selecting an RL from Radley?
    Which Radley did you use...they have a few dealerships.
    did the 40,500 include any dealer accesories
    did this incude the pro package

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Does anyone have any good/bad experiences to share about this dealership? If you have dealt with them recently, did they bring up the RL $3K dealer incentive or was that an item that you had to bring up w/ the sales person?

OR. If you purchased from another dealer, how did the incentive get brought up?

Thanks in advance as I formulate my strategy for getting a great deal on a 2006 RL
  • lausylausy Member Posts: 14
    I tried getting a quote from them back in May but never received one. They didn't want to quote over via email and we ended up playing phone tag and I never received a quote. But Chevy Chase responded with a quote within hours that I was happy with so I went with them. Processing fees are generally lower in MD also.
  • nyvanyva Member Posts: 9
    I just purchased one from the dealership you were trying to receive a quote from yesterday. I paid 43,300 out the door for everything (mats, wheel locks, mud flaps, TTL, destination fee + dealer fees). I could have traveled another 50-100 miles and bettered that price by $500, but the sales tax difference made me decide to go ahead with the transaction. I'm satisfied.

2.9% APR over three years is a hard deal to beat and it is currently going to end at the end of the month. Besides that, with the incredible rebates on the '06 model, sales are pretty good.

For those who are thinking about buying one, get on with it before they are gone!
    NYVA- thanks for your post. what were the fees for TTL. Pohanka is $299 for processing, right?
    I believe so, but again, I paid $43,300 to the penny for everything out the door.

I should add that I was looking at a few other vehicles - GS300,Infiniti M35x and BMW 540. The argument can be made that those other vehicles are better in certain comparisons with the RL, but despite your favorite of the bunch, hands down, IMHO, you just cannot get the value you get from the RL.
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    As I was shopping for a Lexus with my girlfriend, on a whim we stopped into two Acura dealerships here in SoCal. Dealership #1 had 11 RLs on the lot and #2 had 9 RLs. I looked at the manufacturing date of three vehicles on each lot. Two were stamped in January, three in February and one in March. These cars are not moving. Acura will keep some incentive going at least through October.

On a similar note, shopping for the Lexus was interesting in there were few people looking at cars. I asked the salesperson why so few people (at one of the larger sales volume Lexus dealers in the west). Answer (which was obvious) was only knuckleheads like me and my g/f would go out in 100 degrees + heat (and high humidity) looking at cars!

Which leads to me saying that if a large Lexus dealer has few people in their showroom on a Sunday afternoon (due to the hot weather), sales in all dealerships throughout SoCal should be down for July. Here we've had record hot temperatures most of this month as has much of the nation. Deals on Acuras and other cars I think will be very sweet in the next couple months due in part to the hot weather.
    I cannot beg to differ with your perspective, but I will say in my area these cars are moving - and quickly. I bought my car through the largest Acura dealership in the world and there wasn't much to select from. SoCal has more of a "keeping up with the Joneses" thing going on so I'm thinking it is perfunctory for many to automatically go for Lex, BMW and MBs.

I started to myself but I like it even more now that I own one.
    Just wanted to say thanks to all that post on this forum. It helped guide me to my offer. I think I did pretty well. Here are the particulars of the deal:

$41,325 included destination, splash guards, wheel locks, trunk tray, all season mats
    $185 processing, title, tags

I also added a few interior and exterior accessories
    Wood Select Knob
    Wood-Look and Leather Steering Wheels
    Deck Lid Spoiler
    Back-Up Sensor
    Total for accessories $1966 (parts + installation)
    Congrats. I started to add most of the accessories you mentioned (I want the back-up camera instead of the sensor), but the price list the dealer showed was WAY more than just ordering it from eStore and having the dealer install them after the fact.
  • lorenzo2lorenzo2 Member Posts: 16
    Just purchased 2006 RL for 40,600.00 including destination and also they included splash guard. Total out the door 43,164.00. Forum rocks.
  • xando05xando05 Member Posts: 42
    Everytime I look at the new RL I try to convince myself it is an expensive luxury sedan. It looks as luxurious as a Maxima or Altima. The car's design doesn't have that "wow" or "Oooh" appeal factor that some other luxury nameplates have.

Although Acura builds a great automobile, Acura lacks important design features to help set 'em apart from other high end makes. Acura is supposed to be the Luxury division of Honda but I'm not convinced. Look at Infiniti's designs throughout the model lineup and you'll clearly see the vast difference in future design clues. The Acura TL has a flat back off the trunkline. Is it a Scion or or an Acura?

I would really consider the RL in the near future, but it doesn't make sense in the dollar and cents catagory. No real bang for the buck. Just my two SENSE/CENTS.
    Your comments are duly noted.....but you obviously have not been inside one.
  • dallasjusticedallasjustice Member Posts: 3
    Test drive a new RL and test drive a new M35 with all wheel drive and navigation. Then tell me how the M35 is worth more than $10,000 than the RL. I can't wait to hear it.
    ;)
    Just to spark the debate, the RL is a better value (no doubt). But the resale if you're an owner is terrible. If you lease the car, you made a bad deal (financially). Residual stinks and the money factor Acura offers is not competitive. If both these figures were more attractive, then the RL is a bargain x10!

With that said, as an RL owner I am in the process of cutting my losses, selling the car and looking at either leasing the upcoming Lexus GS350 or an M35. The RL has been virtually trouble free and a pleasure to drive. But a car is not an investment. Of the competition, short and long term dollars are better spent elsewhere.

On a side note, unless you will own the car 10+ years, in this day of hi-tech gadgetry and disposal components, I'm swaying that its better to lease then own. Here in L.A., the market is drying up for used cars sold by private parties in the $4,000 - $15,000 price range. People are either leasing cars or buying from a dealer that offers a 30 day warranty. I don't want to expand further as this may not be the right forum for this discussion. But my eyes have opened wider realizing that a car is not an investment and leasing is becoming more attractive.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    To start, I drive a TSX and my wife an MDX, so clearly I'm a fan of Acura. But I find the M35 more appealing than the RL in many ways. The styling, inside and out, may be love it or hate it, but I believe it has more character than the relatively ho-hum styling of the RL. And the driving dynamics are different as well - RWD bias AWD along with a generally sportier feel (with little sacrifice on comfort). IMO, what both these cars need is an extra gear.

Having said all that, the RL is certainly not overpriced at the market prices they're going for right now. Low $40's for the features you're getting is a good value to me. And it's that value that keeps the RL on my list. I'm curious to see if August incentives increase at all. $3k is quite an incentive - maybe another $500-$1k before year-end?

And, FWIW, I'm pretty sure a M35x with nav can be had for perhaps $5k more than the RL - not chump change, but not the $10k previously mentioned.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• 69cv69cv Member Posts: 4
    am odessa,

Great price on an RL in the metro west area.

I offered to buy a new RL from Herb Connolly's internet sales manager for the same price today.

This was their response:

"Regarding the deal in question the customer did infact pay $40,700 plus fees, but they did not include the fact that they had a trade in. The vehicle they traded in was something we saw good value in it for resale, so that is how they were able to get such an amazing deal."

I interpret their response as "No we cannot sell you a 2006 RL for that price".

Any additional info. regarding your purchase would be helpful.

69cv
  • powerchiefpowerchief Member Posts: 5
    I have dealer ready to sell me the 06RL for $40,500 but have yet to get to the point of discussing the "dealer fees". Have people been generally paying the destination fee or is this usually included when you have purchased the RL? I think I am getting a fair deal but want to make sure they don't get me on the fees.....
    Be careful that the price is inclusive of the delivery fee, which dealers seem to believe is a separate fee to be added on after you agree to a price. This fee is contained within the MSRP so I don't know why they think it is appropriate to attempt to add it after the fact.

If they honor that price, I would not harp too much if they added $100-$300 dollars in their dealer fees, even though the prep of the vehicle is also listed within the MSRP.

Do the math yourself - include the quoted price, TTL and no more than $300 in fees. I would walk if they come up with one penny beyond that.
    My delivery fee was included in the 40,600.00 purchase price. title fee 68.00, doc fee 55.00 and also the 6% sales tax. Nothing else.
    Seems like we all are managing to get deals on this vehicle that we can live with.

While I did not consider this when I first started posting, and as I saw a recent comment speak to trade-ins which the dealer may have made his money on you from the transaction, I did not trade-in any vehicle when I purchased.

In the interest of full disclosure for those who are weighing our comments, I think this is valuable information to consider when making your vehicle purchase.
  • fluid15fluid15 Member Posts: 60
    I stopped by the Acura dealer to pick up a brochure on the RL. I sat in one and was impressed. I was running errands and didn't have time for a test drive.

The $41k pricing sounds very good, that certainly has my attention. But don't forget that even though it's new, it's already 1 yr old on the market since the 2007's are being released by manufacturers already. So the price reflects a 1yr old RL but you get a new one.
  • carlvacarlva Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 2006 RL without tech package from Pohanka in chantilly VA on Thursday July 28th. The price for the car (including destination fee) was $40,800. The other fees I had to pay were $299 for processing fee, taxes (3% in VA) and tags ($32).

I thought it was an insanely good deal. If you go to Pohanka, start off at $40K as your bottom line price and then you can negotiate up to $40,800. I made one concession at $40,500 and said it was my final offer but then they came back with that price but snuck in the $615 destination charge and I said no way. $40,800 was the compromise. So plan to have your salesmen go back and forth with the sales manager, but if you're patient, you can get the car at a great price.

I didn't buy any accessories as they are much cheaper online.

I've seen the comments on the Infiniti M35 and BMW 5 series and GS350 AWD and if you price out similarly equipped cars, you're looking at $52K+. Are these cars worth 20% more? No Way...

Great car, awesome combination of performance, luxury and technology.
  • suzintnsuzintn Member Posts: 19
    Does anyone know?
    I don't think so. The RDX's competition is the BMW X3, Ford Escape, etc. while the MDX wants some of the the BMW X5 & Lexus RX 350 customers.
  • 69cv69cv Member Posts: 4
    Great deal.

I had the dealer that, I leased my last 2 RL's from, quote me a 45k+ price on an 06 last week (no trade).

Is anyone getting deals like this (without a trade)in the New England area? If so can you post the details (dealer + financial info. etc).

Anyone know how to figure out if the dealer incentive will be extended or modified in August?

I have an 04 RL lease car that must be returned in less than a month.

thanks
    RL's are still sitting on the lot. If history is any indicator, either Acura will extend the $3,000 cash back to dealers or offer a lease incentive. We'll know the answer in a couple days.
  • joeblowjoeblow Member Posts: 11
    Hello,

I need some help. It seems like people have been negotiating a great purchase price of around $40500 for Acura RL without Technology package.

I was interested in the cost of the A-Spec package. I think it makes the car look sharper and should improve handling/sportiness?

1.What is the invoice/best price for the full A-Spec add on?

2.Can anyone comment on how it effects the cars driving characterstics?

Thank you !!!
  • donc5donc5 Member Posts: 1
    I found this forum very helpful when buying the RL so here is my contribution.

We purchased yesterday, Sunday July 31 from Escondido Acura (San Diego). The price was $46,169 + doc fee of $29 for the RL with tech package, plus a few extras like wheel locks, trunk tray, etc. I might have been able to get a slightly better price but we ended up with the nice and speedy purchase at a dealer with a very good service department.

I was surprised we could finance the entire purchase, including sales tax, at the 2.9% rate.
  • tarunkalra1tarunkalra1 Member Posts: 10
    This forum has been most helpful. Yesterday July 31, 2006, We purchased an Acura RL 2006 with NON TECH Package for $40,800 + TTL (Final out the door price of $43,346. This includes Sales tax, title, tags etc). The dealership was Radley Acura in Virginia. Additionally, We financed the vechicle at 2.9% APR financing offerred by Honda.
  • gvr4wdgvr4wd Member Posts: 23
    tarunkalra1,

How did you do it? Over the phone, internet, or just walked-in? I've been looking to get a RL in DC area and received a quote of $42K from Tischer....
  • tarunkalra1tarunkalra1 Member Posts: 10
    I just called the internet sales manager and told the manager that I am ready to buy the car now and would like to know if he can do the deal. First he gave me $42K quote (based on some invoice discount) and them agreed to do the $40800 but tried to add $695 destination charge. All I told him was the price was not negotiable. It all happened in less than 2 minutes. He agreed and I asked for directions to the dealership. We met, completed paperwork - was a fast process. He is a very nice person. Please verify that the $3000 Acura rebate is still on and did not expire on Jul 31, 2006. The manufacturer normally extends.
    Gave a friend the dealers name and sales person I dealt with 40,600.00. When he called today selling price was 43,500.00 the incentives or rebate with the low finance has expired. When you snooze you lose.