Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Nissan Skyline GT-R

Comments

• thenebeanthenebean Member Posts: 1,124
    interesting picture - looks like a much meaner 350Z/G35 - could be an artists rendition of what they are thinking based on previous concepts, etc...

i guess we'll see this fall - its supposed to be unveiled at tokyo i think?

-thene :)
  • sijohnsijohn Member Posts: 1
    I have twice seen a black on black G35 shaped car on roads North of and East of Seattle. A bit more aggessive than stock, but less than the Skyline GT-R pictures I've seen. Gold letters spelling SKYLINE in place of the INFINITI and a GT insignia on the lower right corner - on the trunk. No other markings.
    Debadged or whatever, he was smiling - even in heavy commuter traffic.
  • fredzyfredzy Member Posts: 1
    The next GT-R (R36) will not see U.S. soil until late 08. It will be unveiled Fall 07 in Japan.

It will be sold in the U.S. as a Nissan, their Halo Vehicle, and bear absolutely no resemblance to the G35 Coupe (V35 Skyline). The Infinity G35 will become something else, replaced with the R36 chassis - and continue to fill the luxury/sport niche. The Z33 (350Z) will maintain its position at nissan as a sporty coupe/roadster - by no means a supercar or flagship. That is the role of the GT-R.

The final production engine may be either 3 to 3.5 liters, V6 twin-turbo. No large N/A V8's were ever considered. The large V8 option is unnecessary and unfeasable in this application.

It may cost over $80,000.
  • 90r32gtr90r32gtr Member Posts: 2
    On August 10, a similar car to the one sijohn is describing above was driving in front of me in Los Angeles. I didn't have my digital camera in the car, but the Skyline was in a convoy with a black 350z conv. The driver actually powered down his window and answered affirmatively to my quick question that the car was a new Skyline. He could have been teasing, but the car was black with gold Skyline lettering on the trunk.
  • roosterdroosterd Member Posts: 1
    Well, I too have seen the now infamous "skyline" on the back of a G35 in Sacramento, CA and after doing a little research I came up with this...

link title
  • 90r32gtr90r32gtr Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for posting that link. That looks identical to the car I saw in LA, but I want to say that I thought that it was a left hand drive car. I may be mistaken, but that is my recollection.
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    Nissan has trademarked the name "Infiniti GT-R" in the states. Looks like the GT-R will definitely be an Infiniti.
  • mikee2003mikee2003 Member Posts: 1
    Yeah I saw one today too. I live in Phoenix, AZ and I rolled up to a stoplight and just thought it was a black G35 But as I got into the left hand turn lane up the road I saw Silver "SKYLINE" insignia! I had to look twice :surprise: and am hoping that it isn't the real thing cause that would be a dissapointment :cry: . ;)
  • 4444444444 Member Posts: 8
    I would think buyers would hold off purchaseing 2006's and wait to get their hands on the 2007's I bought a 2003 then a 2005 so I will probably be looking at the 2007 but if I had a 2004 I would certainly wait for the 2007 I forsee the 2006 sales to drop or at least some extra dealing on them.
    2007 should have more horsepower even in the energy crisis. The suspension should be as good if not better then if you purchased the sport suspension pkg. on the 2005 but is normal equipment. Larger room in the back seat. They go back to the 2003 seats that go back automatically. Passenger seat goes to 8 way. Driver seat is finally give two memory driver postion. Plus some instant start. and some talk about bluetooth but I am not sure yet on that. and also was mentioned a upgraded stereo system 300watt. Price A LOT BUT THE GOOD DIE YOUNG
  • giantkillergiantkiller Member Posts: 273
    Looks good to me. I should think that they keep it as a Nissan. My first car was a Nissan and all these years was fascinated with the Skyline. Some people said here that it should come here as an Infiniti but I tell you, this will car will sell not because its an Infiniti or a Nissan its because its a Skyline.
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    That's the GT-R concept from a while ago.
  • jtbonn_azurejtbonn_azure Member Posts: 1
    isnt the nissan skyline gtr actually called the nissan skyline 350GT. Is the nissan skyline 350GT faster than the infinti g35?
    No, the Skyline 350GT and the Infiniti G35 are the same car (except for the steering wheel location and the other minor stuff necessary for legal sale in the US). There is no GT-R version of the current (V35 platform) Skyline; the next GT-R should be the first of the V36 Skylines.
  • eddie2310eddie2310 Member Posts: 7
    The new Skyline GT-R is not out anywhere in the world!!!
    Dont you guys get it? In the States there is a company called Infiniti (Nissans lux models ), the sell a car called the G35 coupe it comes with more or less 1 engine a 3.5L. In Japan they do not have Infiniti just Nissan and they do not make the GT-R anymore but want the Skyline name to live on so they use the same G35 body (the old skylines were R32, R33 and R34) but call it Skyline ,they have a few models out there with different engines and the top model is called the GT350 (with the same engine as the M6 G35) (they also have a 3.0L and a few other models) but no GT-R. (goto www.nissan.co.jp to see the models) The cars that you see on the road in the states are just Infiniti G35's with Nissan labels on them (Ive seen them even saying GT350) and they are left had drive so they arnt real Skylines from Japan. The car in the 2007 GT-R photos are real but are not what the new GT-R will look like. The car is just a test car and is ment to trick the spys. The car has bigger fenders and will have an AWD System just like the R34 GT-R. I bet the car wont even come out in 2007 but it will need to come out about the same time or before Toyota brings out a super car (Supra). I doubt the new GT-R will be Turbo'd though Im guessing a small high reving V8 (like in the Audi RS4 and new BMW M3)
  • eddie2310eddie2310 Member Posts: 7
    There is no 2003+ Skyline GT-R. The highest Skyline you can now buy is the GT350 (there is lower 3.0L models and I think a 2.?) the GT350 is 278hp on paper but is really about 300hp just like the 350Z and the M6 G35 coupe.
    My mate in England owns an imported GT350 (right hand drive from Japan)
    He told me its not any different then the G35 coupe, just has better looking head lights.
  • boostdeliquentboostdeliquent Member Posts: 1
    I think the latest version of the Skyline is nothing more than an attempt to capitalize upon the current popularity of Skylines that resulted due to video games and movies. The new body style is lacking in many areas and far removed from the boxy, aggressive frame many tuners have come to know and love from all previous GT-R's. Whether it was an R30 or and R33 you could always look at a Skyline (especially the GT-R) and tell it was born and bred for the track.

The R32 GT-R (the first production Skyline to wear the GT-R banner) was only introduced for production as a result of Japanese Group A Racing Regulations. The first R32 GT-R's dominated the track winning 29 of 29 races in the series. I think the very idea that they won't to release the R35 under the Infinity banner is an insult to the racing tradition GT-R has come to represent. GT-R doesn't mean luxury, it means automotive performance and domination on the track and off.

It would also be very nice for them to keep the RB26DETT as opposed to switching to a V-6 as well. After all, when is the last time you saw a V-6 make 1000+ hp. The RB26DETT can easily handle 600-700+ on the stock block.

The one thing I am glad to hear is that they have decided to keep the ALTESSA-ETS AWD system but still wonder if they'll only offer ALTESSA-ETS or if they'll also make available the ALTESSA-ETS Pro offered in the GT-R V-Spec. Further more what about Super HICAS.

I guess only time will tell but truly hope we don't get left w/ the watered down versions of yet another JDM supercar. If nothing else, I found a web-site www.TurboVisions.com that specializes in the importation and titling of JDM vehicles so I can get a real Skyline through them if Ineed to.
  • kman87kman87 Member Posts: 4
    Those aren't really new Skylines. People have been putting "Skyline" on G35s, "Altezza" on IS 300s, and "Integra" on RSXs since the cars came out.
  • marinediablomarinediablo Member Posts: 1
    Great-great info, am amazed. I thought by being in japan i knew some good stuff but ur point is good & on the R35.
  • ecstazecstaz Member Posts: 1
    The RB26DETT, though potent, is a dinosaur. The RB26 head was campaigned by Bob Sharp in the late 70's through '81 or so. The cost the re-engineer this engine for LH drive at the limited volumes of a GT-R makes no sense. The V configured engines are not sensitive to driver position. As for HP, there are many 700+HP VG30DETT's out there and a few that have dynoed at 1000+. THe 2JZ and RB26 DETT that dyno ate 1000+ are dyno queens and not very streetable. 500-600HO is about the max that is usable on the street. The latest scoop on the Infiniti GT-R is about 450HP. BTW, the Skyline, 350Z, and G35 all share the same platform and are proiduced in the same plant in Japan. THe 350Z is Nissan's flagship sports car in the USA, so the obvious channel to import the GT-R is Infinity. I actually prefer the handling and ride of the G36 Coupe over the 350Z. The Z is too twitchy for me.
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    It's sad that there's been no GT-R for one generation of Skyline. I think it's happened before at some points in the Skyline's history, but still... you can't imagine BMW letting one 3-series generation go by without an M3 version. And GT-R has a longer history than the M3.

I don't think any real fans will care if it's an Infiniti or a Nissan. I don't think any of them could afford one anyway. But it should be noted that Honda's next NSX and Toyota's V10 supercar are going to be sold under their luxury brands... I think that'll make the decision for Nissan.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    http://www.japanesecarfans.com/spyphotos.cfm/spyphotoid/6051014.001

Wow 80 grand. That is expensive and probably out of reach for most people posting in these forums. But that is one sweet car. 480 stock HP sounds sweet but I hope it will be easy to mod it out to 600 +. These days 500 ponies is the minimum number of Hp required to achieve super car status.
  • mariner7mariner7 Member Posts: 509
    Here's a sideview of GTR showcar, very close in appearance to the production car, according to Nakamura-san.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/insiders/0510/19/0auto-354228.htm

In that article, a Nissan marketing executive claims Nissan has the youngest, most educated and affluent customer base of any Asian brand. Take that, Honda & Toyota!
    Don't forget Honda is coming up with the next Gen. NSX which will be powered by a V-10 engine. Toyota too is working on a V-10 sports car pumping out 500+ Hp. Boy I can't wait for the comparo.
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Autoweek is showing some decent pics from the Tokyo show as well.

They appear to have hired some folks from the Dodge Charger program over to Nissan! :surprise: ;)

Not my cuppa on the outside. It all looks a little forced to me. But hey, I can forgive a whole lot on the outside if what's underneath is properly executed...
  • mariner7mariner7 Member Posts: 509
    motown,

I suspect the Lexus V10 is more of a GT, its closest competitors would be SL55 AMG and M6. Whereas GTR and new NSX are more pure sports cars. I know Nissan targets 911 and 911 Turbo.

That Nissan marketing executive claims Nissan has the youngest, most educated and affluent customers among the Asian brands as of right now. Get me to thinking, who among the nonpremiums has the more desirable customer profile than that. Definitely none of the domestics, who'd have the three worst profiles. Well, maybe Chrysler is doing slightly better. We can eliminate all the Asian brands, from what he said. The only candidate left is VW, whose customers are more educated and wealthier, I bet. But of course VW customer base is vanishing fast!

The car looks exactly like the image above.

That is one great looking car.
  • tdvtdv Member Posts: 1
    I was at the Tokyo Motor Show this weekend, and Nissan was saying this car will 'hit the road in 2007'.

You guys found one of my video clips from the 2001 Tokyo Motor Show of the GTR; thought you might be interested in the recent clip:

Nissan GTR Proto 2005
    http://www.tokyodv.com/news/TMS2005NissanGTRProto.html

More clips coming from the show.. When I can find time to edit them..

Thanks,

TDV
  • objectiveviewobjectiveview Member Posts: 72
    The Lexus is a sports car based on F1 technology, why would it be more of a GT and less of a sports car? its competitors would be anything in the $75k and up sport car category with 10 or 12 cylinders as well as the new GT-R.
  • jesusfreak1jesusfreak1 Member Posts: 1
    Actually the Nissan 350Z in 297hp.
    Infinity and Nissan are the same company. The current Infinity G35 and the current Nissan Skyline (of Japan) are the same car, with the exception of drivers side.
  • texasmerqtexasmerq Member Posts: 86
    I like the car overall but IMO the styling a bit overdone. The 2001 GT-R concept looked better while retaining the overall heritage and a much cleaner Skyline look. It should be the production version IMO as that is one of the best looking cars, albeit a concept, I've seen.
  • gtr1gtr1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi.When I went on the japanese Nissan website,they said a new GT-R will be sold in the states somewhere between 2007 & 2008...as a Nissan.There is a 10 percent chance it could come as an Infiniti,but its less likely to happen.It will be AWD,have a choice of a V-6 or a V-8(probably for Japan),generating at least 350 hp or more.Since the (skyline)GT-R is usually expensive in Japan,it should be about $70,000 over here.
  • mike048mike048 Member Posts: 10
    According to this week's Autoweek mag - It's official!!! The GT-R will be sold in the states as an Infiniti for around 65K. It makes sense since it is an all new global car and Nissan is taking the Infiniti moniker global.
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    In the American Le Mans Series or the Rolex Sports Car Series?

Also, the front bumper of that concept looks way too bulky.
  • dragon7606dragon7606 Member Posts: 1
    There is a small paragraph in the recent Sport Compact Car Magazine about the Infinity GT-R Skyline coming out as a Twin Turbo V6 putting out 500 HP. No info about the displacement though. They also could not confirm the transmission and what/if the AWD system would be either.
  • red_emronred_emron Member Posts: 10
    The GTR is definitely coming, I'm told may be a early 2008
    model delivered in spring of 2007. Top dealers will get 20 or so to sell. I hope I win the lottery!!!
  • majcnismomajcnismo Member Posts: 6
    Hi Boom,

Yes, the GTR will come to the U.S. The price should fall in the $65K range... get ready to pay over MSRP. Place your order early! There are only going to be 2,000 GTR's exported per year, now divide that by 180 dealers ... depending where you live, you might only have a couple of chances to land one. :shades:

M
  • xnappoxnappo Member Posts: 47
    Hello all,

As someone looking to buy a G35 in the not-too distant future (current '91 300ZX owner) I am wondering if the G35 will get a makeover in 2007 with styling cues from the Skyline GT-R? (G35 GT-R?)

The GT-R is out of my price range, but I would love to get some of that styling on the 'normal' G35 coupe!

xnappo
  • looking3looking3 Member Posts: 1
    I'm in xnappo's camp... I don't really care what a $75,000 car is going to look like. How will this affect the standard G35 coupe?
  • mantenamantena Member Posts: 2
    when is it coming out?? will it be later this year 2006 or early 2007.
  • travis77travis77 Member Posts: 63
    yep,, march 06 motor trend mag says they will be officially imported to the U.S. this time. Comin in a 3.5 liter twin turbo and sold in either left or right hand drive versions. They say it's likely to be badged an Infiniti. They will be here late 2007.

here is a link to check it out,,, says the front end will be a lil bit differant.

http://www.motortrend.com/auto_shows/112_05tokyo_nissan_skyline_gtr_gallery/inde- x1.html
  • infiniti06infiniti06 Member Posts: 1
    I spoke with the dealer who sold me a 2006 Infiniti G-35 Coupe about the GT-R. From what I gathered from him both Nissan and Infiniti are making models. Nissan will sell the Skyline and Infiniti will sell the GT-R. He informed me that the GT-R will be twin turboed (of course) and will put out around 600 hp. The price will be 92,000. It will come out either the middle or late 2007. He is going to forward me any information that he has and gets. And keep me posted on both vehicles.
  • giantkillergiantkiller Member Posts: 273
    Carlos Ghosn announced that the GTR will be release as a Nissan. I'm so excited by this announcement. I've been fascinated by this legendary sports car for several years now. Although Infiniti and Nissan is the same, I prefer it to be under the Nissan badge to continue that tradition of the previous GTR's. I hoped that I can save enough money for this car and I hoped that they will price it under 60K.
  • andy82471andy82471 Member Posts: 120
    That might be wishful thinking. You are talking about a car that is as quick or maybe quicker than a 911 Turbo. I seriously doubt that kind of performance can be had for under 60K. I am guessing somewhere between 65 and 80K.
  • hawkrockhawkrock Member Posts: 1
    According to IGN, the car will be out in spring 2008 in the states and be under the Nissan name.
    soure:
    Link
  • nihilnihil Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I was driving on the interstate in Bismarck, ND three weeks ago and I spotted an interesting looking car. I hadn't seen it before so I look it over closely as I went by it. It was black and looked exactly like this car with one major exception. On the front, it wasn't badged as a GTR, it had a circular chrome ring with the word Skyline running through it. I am not kidding.

At first, I thought someone had gotten a Skyline badge and put it on something else. I thought the car wasn't going to be arriving here for quite some time. Thing is, this car doesn't resemble anything else that closely, the headlights alone are unique, and I KNOW that they were identical.

I know it seems strange, but I feel like I saw a freaking unicorn or something and just had to tell someone. Who knows, maybe I'm not the only one to see it.

Anyone?
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    nihil, it would help if you told us what car looks like the one you saw, and clarify on "the headlights alone are unique, and I KNOW that they were identical."

It may have been a 2007 Infiniti G35; it's getting a facelift and the only big change is new lights. In Japan the Infiniti G35 is called the Nissan Skyline 350GT (the base Skyline has a smaller engine), so it's not too weird to put Skyline badges on a G35.

But the badge you saw (circle with "Skyline" through it) doesn't sound like any of the badges Nissan has used on Skylines in Japan. Sounds aftermarket to me.
  • ryefellowryefellow Member Posts: 1
    Hello I saw a car with a Skyline Logo on I95 yesterday. I drive a G35X and the car looked exactly like my car but a little more flared out with a Skyline Logo on the Middle of the rear Trunk space and a GTR on the lower right where the G35X logo is on my car. Is this a clone or the new car?
    It's a clone. The Infiniti G35 and Nissan Skyline 350GT are basically the same car (except for the steering wheel location and other little bits required for the US and Japanese markets). More than a few people have put Skyline lettering and badges on their G35s in the last few years.
This discussion has been closed.