Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Nissan Skyline GT-R

Comments

• motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    http://www.caranddriver.com/carnews/11023/spied-2009-nissan-skyline-gt-r.html

Question for the host: Since CAR & DRIVER confirmed that the GTR is coming in Spring of 08 and not 07 can be change the title of the thread to 2008 ?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Gottit :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    How much will one cost ?

Rocky
    Never mind $65K + Dealer overages. :surprise:

Rocky
    Thanx :)
    Whether it’s called the Nissan Skyline GT-R or just the Nissan GT-R, the 2009 model is expected to cost $75,000 when it goes on sale in the U.S. in the spring of 2008.

Sorry Rocky, you are off by 10 grand. :P
    Well I read what one poster put earlier in the forum. I heard the $75K figure throwin around a few months back then I read a few pages back and saw someone put $65K. Well as awesome as the car will be it is way to rich for my blood. Besides if I was going to spend that much for a decorated G35 Coupe, I'd go buy a Z-06' and wax it's butt.
    I'm going to laugh when some spoiled rich kid rolls up at a stop light in a GT-R and a 2008 or 09 Caddy CTS-V with 600 horsepower smokes em' like a cheap cigar :shades:

Rocky
  • proeproe Member Posts: 157
    "Besides if I was going to spend that much for a decorated G35 Coupe, I'd go buy a Z-06' and wax it's butt.
    I'm going to laugh when some spoiled rich kid rolls up at a stop light in a GT-R and a 2008 or 09 Caddy CTS-V with 600 horsepower smokes em' like a cheap cigar"

First of all, it is not G35 coupe, it is Porsche killer. GT-R eats Porsche for lunch and that is why it is called the Fastest Mass Production Car in the world period. Also, you can tune the car to 1000hp easily, so I think the Caddy CTS-V will be left in the dust :P

I don't think it will cost only 65K. With 500hp and twin turbo charged AWD, it is goiing to cost at least 75K to 80K since it probably targets Porsche Turbo.
  • 8motor8pheen88motor8pheen8 Member Posts: 7
    What makes that car able to be tuned up to 1000hp. and if it actually can be that would be insane please fil me in on how the powertrain and suspension sytem can handle something like that from production. and the new CTS has what kind of engine that will pump 600 hp. and is that stock.
  • 8motor8pheen88motor8pheen8 Member Posts: 7
    im not sure on this but i thought they stopped making skylines i might be wrong though. but where can i find more info on this car and can someone explain the set up this automobile would have?
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    'm going to laugh when some spoiled rich kid rolls up at a stop light in a GT-R and a 2008 or 09 Caddy CTS-V with 600 horsepower smokes em' like a cheap cigar

You'll find the video on notgonnahappen.com. There is no way any 2-wheel-drive Cadillac could beat any GT-R off the line. The Caddy will either turn donuts at the light from all the torque steer and wheel hop, or the computer will turn that 600hp into 200hp and give the CTS driver a quick view of the GT-R's tail lamps.
    The CTS Super-V is good for 600 horsepower according to this site and others on the net using the 7.0 V-8 ;)

I'll take you up on that race bumpy. If the new CTS-V stays around it's current price, I will buy one. You buy yourself a GT-R and we'll see. ;)

Rocky
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    GM could make a 6000 hp CTS-UltraV if it wanted to, but it still wouldn't have the suspension or wheels capable of putting the full horsepower rating to the pavement. ATTESA all-wheel drive will prevail every time, though preheated Fatty McGees (drag slicks) on the CTS might make it worth watching. :P
    LOL, bumpy :P we don't know what the suspension on the CTS-V will look like yet. ;)

Rocky
  • objectiveviewobjectiveview Member Posts: 72
    probably will be the same magnaride stuff that the vette carries
  • hakazehakaze Member Posts: 1
    "First of all, it is not G35 coupe, it is Porsche killer. GT-R eats Porsche for lunch and that is why it is called the Fastest Mass Production Car in the world period. Also, you can tune the car to 1000hp easily, so I think the Caddy CTS-V will be left in the dust"

1000 HP is achieveable in RB26DETT and has been done before. However, people are just quoting stuff from rumors and web site. In reality, it costs crap load of money and you seriously compromise reliability of the engine and drivetrain. Unless you like replacing engine, gear box, and crankshafts every other day you probably don't want 1000 HP GTR. Best GTRs are tuned to around 500 - 550 HP.

As far as CTS goes, it may be tunable to 600 HP but you are talking rear wheel drive. As with ALL rear wheel drive, you will have hard time putting down the all the power you have especially with that much power. With you get higher and higher with HP, traction becomes the biggest issue especially in the wet. That's why you never see AMGs achieve a real good 1/4 mile despite the fact they have crazy torque figures.

Just to prove that I'm not talking out of my a**, let me give a real situation. Could you dump clutch at 8000 RPM and still use all that 600 HP in a CTS-V? Nope. You will just spin tires and go nowhere. Well, I've done that in my GTR R33 (only 425HP) many times and put all the power down without a problem. In GTR, rear tire will squeal for 1/10th of second, all four tires hook up with the pavement and you are gone.

As far as Z06 goes, yes, it's a great car but it's still a Corvette. I would never be caught dead in a car with such a ugly butt. If you wanna ride a vette, all the power to ya.
  • da900smoove1da900smoove1 Member Posts: 1
    For the real deal on the vaunted japanese beast try the the following series of videos from best motoring international;Skyline the prodigy,RB muscle,Porsche turbo,350Z shock,etc.These will give you real track testing of most of the latest hot cars from japan and europe with pro driver's in 3-5 lap battles at various tracks in japan.FORGET ABOUT THAT HILLBILLY NASCAR CRAP OF 4 LEFT TURNS IN CARS THAT AREN'T STREET LEGAL.These are factory cars being pushed to limit on street tires and wheels.Also throw away those numbers from the factory of 0-60 and 1/4 mile.A .2 or .4 difference can be a simple miss shift on the street loss.The part people miss buying a car is the quality-realiablity-resale question.Will this be desirable 5-10yrs later.LOOK at most 5 yrs old plus american cars and ask would you by it???.Then look at what its worth verse what it was new.Currently 1993-98 supra's are the king's of resale value,then come the 1993-95 RX-7's,then 1990-96 300zx's and 1991-98 3000GT's.300zx's sold the best so more aval.Vette's and Viper's are ok if you like 50's tech engines and using the warranty,but recent news has GM looking for partners to bail them out(30 yrs of crappy product)
  • jamesjpwjamesjpw Member Posts: 1
    OK, someone needs to help me out here. I just saw a blue "Nissan Skyline" (looked like a Infinity G35) in Webster, New York. Saw Nissan logo on back with SKYLINE under it. From what I have been reading this is not possible, but I saw it. Any clues on how this is possible?
  • automoblogautomoblog Member Posts: 6
    Yeah I've seen quite a few G35s like this. The Infiniti G35 is actually called the Nissan Skyline in Japan, so a lot of people like to remove the Infiniti logo and put on the Skyline emblem.
  • nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    that alone would net at least a 20 hp gain at the wheel
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    2009 Skyline GT-R spy photos...
  • porsche2277porsche2277 Member Posts: 2
    A Nissan 350z Grand Touring edition is roughly around 34k.
    A Nissan GT-R has All wheel drive which nissan/infiniti market awd 4k up from base rear wheel drives. Stock twin turbo/cover by warranty....retail 6k each turbo (retail) with warranty which brings the price now to 50k. If its a brand new chassis, engine and other goodies im quessing 12,-15k. My quess is 65k, anything more would be a joke, not that the car would not be worth it but rather a nissan badged cars listed at that high would cause interuption in their marketing effort in Infiniti cars. Sweet ride, but nothing to make me jump at it yet, be nice to compare this with the toyota LF series.
    For now i'll stick with my Porsche, Nissan needs more work anyway. Owned a 350z 35th anniversary and the G35 good cars nothing Great though.
  • moddedspec5moddedspec5 Member Posts: 2
    I ACTUALLY AM A SALES PERSON FOR NISSAN IN FLORIDA... WE WILL BE GETTING THE SKYLINES LATE SUMMER WITH A MSRP OF 80K... BUT WE WILL BE ADDING 10K IN ADJUSTED MARKET VALUE... WE R HEARING A TURBO CHARGED 460HP VQ..... ANY QUESTIONS LET ME KNOW... ALOS IF ANYBODY WANTS ONE... I WILL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO TAKE A DEPOSIT....LOL
    Anyone foolish enough to pay $80k ($10K over sticker) for a car that will get it's tail pipes whipped around the track by a 08' EVO-X is plain foolish IMHO. To each their own I suppose. :) The $45,000 difference buys you a lot of performance parts for a EVO-X to beat any production car made around a Formula 1 track not to mention a lot of gas and tires and vacations. ;)

No Thanks......

Rocky
  • snowybanditsnowybandit Member Posts: 1
    First off I really hope porsche2277 is not a real salespersoni would hate to see one use "LOL"in anyemail to me a car buyer, but on top of that i hope he means that it will be there in the summer of 2008, not this summer, it won'e even be unveiled
    untill Nov 2007 as a production car, which is still a ways away
  • 4444444444 Member Posts: 8
    We now know that the G-37 comes out in 08/07 as the next generation G-series with 330hp 270tq better fuel eco. and air quality. and I guess most of all to please edmunds road & track top of the line high quality interior materials.
    I have owned 2 G35 and 1 of them I fliped twice in the air and landed on the wheels well 3 wheels and the side of the left front one I sat there for 15 sec's opened my door just like normal got out and the lady and her two sons that were running towards me she said your suppose to be dead not one piece of the cheapo material broke off and exterior was not compromised totalled yes all passenger areas completly safe You start put that car in the 40k range it will not sell.
  • alvegaalvega Member Posts: 1
    When you compare vehicles you compare apples with apples not apples and oranges. Sure they're both fruits but they don't cost the same. Let me bring in the the other apples (the competition) into this one. The price for the upcoming Skyline GT-R is projected to be around $70k, with about HP laying in the mid 400 range and all the other performance tunning available. The upcoming BMW M3 which is also on it's way is going to have just about the same amount of HP and performance tunning sans the all-wheel-drive that the Skyline is going to have and it's projected price is around $60k. What will make anybody buy a Nissan over BMW when cosidering this apple to apple comparison BMW comes out looking like such a bargain?
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    AWD is a big factor. There are not too many sports cars out there in that price range/power with AWD. I'm thinking of only the porsche 911 w/AWD. People might say the same thing about the M3, why would someone buy the M3 when you can get an STi or an EVO with nearly as much power, at 1/2 the cost?

I agree that the skyline shouldn't be priced so high, cause I won't be able to afford one, but hey if they can garner that kinda cash for it, God Bless! I'm such a capitalist at heart!

-mike
  • suvguy2005suvguy2005 Member Posts: 19
    "Anyone foolish enough to pay $80k ($10K over sticker) for a car that will get it's tail pipes whipped around the track by a 08' EVO-X is plain foolish IMHO. To each their own I suppose. The $45,000 difference buys you a lot of performance parts for a EVO-X to beat any production car made around a Formula 1 track not to mention a lot of gas and tires and vacations."

That is like saying "why buy a Bentley when my minivan can hold more people and stuff at 1/10th the price?" Value isn't all numbers.
    Yup, my point exactly!

-mike
  • holdenguyholdenguy Member Posts: 145
    Yo Rocky,
    Is this where you are hiding mate.
    Got some heavy duty goss for ya,
    You may get your dream wheels yet.
    Check out the G8 thread ;-)
  • 54225422 Member Posts: 6
    The GTR will release in 2008. A couple of months after it debuts at the Tokyo Motor Show. The US model will debut in December 2007 at the LA Auto Show. A year later they will make an R36 and a convertible. Meanwhile Infiniti will make Skyline based on the G37 that they have now released and it will have the same body as the european Skyline. That will release in the Spring of 2009.
  • mardukmarduk Member Posts: 1
    Your not to Bright are u. I take nothing away from the evo. it is a hell of a car but until u actually ride in some serious cars like i have u will never know what it means to ride in exotics. I have had the fun of riding in almost 450hp evo on laguna seca. great car outhandled alot of corvettes. But im going to say this if the gtr coming out beat the 911 turbo on laguna seca by a few clicks of a second. U got to give respect where its due. if your talking money the gtr is half of what they are asking for when it comes to 911 turbo. The Evo isnt that great on interior either. Least in the gtr u will be comfortable. And key point that car is LEGENDARY. say it with me legendary. Maybe u should take a trip to japan if you can afford it and go riding in a couple of gtrs. Not stock ones either. then say if someone is stupied enough to get one. Either im getting 09 gtr or the Audi r8. maybe both
  • termnalveloctytermnalvelocty Member Posts: 1
    Obviously you don't have a clue. Take a look at the completely redesigned Evo X inside and out before you comment on it. Besides for my money I spent $35K on a 2006 Lotus Elise with >3k mile and have since put $24K in upgrades in the car and I will tell you with 337WHP, upgraded brakes, suspension, spoiler, etc. This car won't just beat the GTR, Porsche or M3, it will embarrass them.
  • sgtsneosgtsneo Member Posts: 1
    You obviously dont have a clue. First of all u dont look at the speed or looks only. You look at what car it is. Does it have a history like the Corvette or Mustang etc... First of all the GT-R has a TT meaning Twin Turbo. Second it has 480 horsepower. It already can beat ur Elise. And you didn't think the whole thing u were thinking of a stock GT-R. When is has all that stuff your car has then lets talk if your Elise can beat a legendary GT-R.
  • yowzersyowzers Member Posts: 5
    anyone know if dealers are taking deposits yet or do we have to wait till after its debut late this year? If so anyone leave a deposit yet and if so any of you in miami?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    All of this "my car can beat up your car" macho talk is REALLY impressive. However, since this discussion is focused on the upcoming GT-R and not on what we think of other members, can we stick to the vehicle, please?

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jmarounjmaroun Member Posts: 151
    How much does this sucker weigh???
  • nissan350znissan350z Member Posts: 81
    3800 lbs
  • tlcruztlcruz Member Posts: 54
    Came to work and found this over on Inside Line!

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=123174

Can't wait to hear the stats on this puppy ;)
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    seems rather odd. i mean, here they are hoping a $75k Nissan will sell in the first place and they go and trump the car already? I would think many folks who would have the money for the base version would just as soon wait for the better one, no?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

If the GTR=1/10 of what is being claimed, everyone will want one.

Is there anyone here from Japan that knows how to get one?

- How much will this sucker Cost, including expected steelership markups?
    - Will US Nissan Dealers sell for MSRP?
    - Is Nissan (US) accepting deposits yet?
    - What is avialability (how long to get one).
    - Is it possible to get a shipment direct from Japan..like the European delivery rather than getting it from a dealer?

I fear, if the GTR is a very limited production car, it will demand well over sticker and will take a long time for delivery.

Thanks
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    doubt it.

-including expected markup? ummm... my guess is $90k.
    -MSRP? Not bloody likely.
    -dunno. probably some are.
    -dunno. I wouldn't be surprised if wait lists already exceed first year production.
    -no Japanese manufacturer offers Japan delivery ...yet. I believe it has something to do with European companies being able to deliver cars cheaper on their home turf, but Japanese don't? I dunno. Taxes or something. I'm sure there is an explanation in there somewhere.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

It seems this GTR will be a typical supercar in many respects.. even the negative ones.

1.) It will probably command serious markups pushing into Porsche $$. Given the attitudes I've received already from local Nissan dealerships, my guess is that markups will be likely.

2.) It will be limited production -> meaning long waiting times.

3.) It will probably be very high maintenance given its extreme complexity.

If the above prove to be true, it'll be a show stopper in terms of impacting Porsche 911 or BMW M3 sales. It may edge into Z06 sales though. The sad part is, it almost looked as if this Nissan would be kinda like a Robin Hood for poor auto enthusiasts. :( The thought of owning a supercar for $66k lifted many a poor enthusiast spirits. The disappointment will be crushing, especially if the performance and driving experience rumors prove out to be true.

Joseph
  • proeproe Member Posts: 157
    Since GT-R will have tires that are not filled by air but rather by nitrogen to null temperature effect, how are you going to inflate your tires when you need to and how about getting new set of tires?
    I will wait to see if GT-R lives up to its name. I think it will.
    Cannot wait until 2010 to get my hands on GT-R.
  • pmc4pmc4 Member Posts: 198
    ...Will no doubt be a good car when it does go on sale here. However, it will fall to the same fate that the Corvette Z06 did; in fact, perhaps even worse.

The GT-R is a front-engine car; the Corvette is mid-engine. Therefore, more weight will be at the GT-R's front wheels, meaning a loss of steering feel (the main and only failing of the Z06). Corvette's mid-front setup means better steering feel, but still behind rear-engine cars like the Porsche 911 or mid/rear engine cars like the Porsche Cayman or the old Acura NSX.

The Z06 is still the more exotic out of the two (aluminum, magnesium and carbon fiber versus Nissan's steel frame), so we can expect the Z06-with a more rear-bias, will almost certainly guarantee the Z06 the better handler.

Any differing opinions from a technical standpoint?
    How do they compare weight-wise?

Have you taken into account AWD v. RWD?

Are we talking on a road course? Highway? Drag?

I know I've ran laps around Z06s in my Legacy GT Wagon at Watkins Glen in anything but "picture perfect" conditions.

-mike
  • tlcruztlcruz Member Posts: 54
    Inside Line just announced the pricing.

$69, 850 for the base model
    and
    $71,900 for the premium model

This includes the delivery charges. They will be taking pre-orders on January 1st, 2008 and will officially go on sale in June.

They will only be building 1,500 a year and will later announce the dealership locations of these bad boys :)
  • pmc4pmc4 Member Posts: 198
    "How do they compare weight-wise?

Have you taken into account AWD v. RWD?

Are we talking on a road course? Highway? Drag?

I know I've ran laps around Z06s in my Legacy GT Wagon at Watkins Glen in anything but "picture perfect" conditions."

Since the GT-R weighs in at 3,800 pounds (200 pounds more than most luxury cars in the $50,000 range and as heavy as the Buick V8 Lucerne) and the Corvette barely tests 3,000 pounds, we can expect both handling and performance to be better in the Corvette than the GT-R.
    The GT-R does have AWD, but then again, so do most rally cars. This car should have been a Subaru, not a Nissan.
This discussion has been closed.