Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Spectra5

Comments

• Isn't there a sticker in the door jam that included date of manufacture? Even if you're in the date window, it states that most of the cars were corrected prior to delivery. I used to work for an auto supplier, and something like this that could result in loss of steering, well let's just say they would go to extraordinary lengths to track down every single vehicle; the risk of losing many millions in a lawsuit is just too high not to.
  • I HAVE A NEW SPECTRA5 2005 AND I HAVE HAD SO MANY PROBLEMS WITH THIS CAR.
    MY FIRST VISIT TO THE MECHANIC WAS FOR VIBRATION/SHAKING IN THE STEERING WHEEL AND VIBRATION THROUGHOUT THE VEHICLE AND A BLOWN SPEAKER.

SECOND VISIT TO THE SHOP CONSISTED OF THE FRONT GROUND EFFECTS FALLING OFF DUR TO FAULTY INSTALL AND I STILL HAVE NOT RESOLVED THE BAD VIBRATION IN THE VEHICLE.

MY THIRD VISIT WAS A RESULT OF THE VEHICLES REAR GROUND EFFECTS FALLING OFF, AND ANOTHER BLOWN SPEAKER AND THE BAD VIBRATION STILL NOT RESOLVED MECHANICS HAVE NO IDEA.

WELL I HAVE NOT BEEN BACK FOR THE 4TH TIME BECAUSE NOW I AM GOING INTO ARBITRATION WITH THIS VEHICLE DUE TO THE REAR GROUND EFFECTS FALLING OFF AGAIN AND I STILL HAVE A BAD VIBRATION AND SHAKE IN THE STEERING WHICH ALSO VIBRATES THROUGH THE FLOOR BOARDS AND ALL OF THIS HAPPENING WITHIN THE FIRST 700Mi.
    I AM EAGERLY WAITING TO READ YOUR FOLLOW UP ON THE LONG TERM KIA SPECTRA5 ROAD TEST ! IF YOU HAVE HAD AS MANY PROBLEMS WITH THIS CAR I WOULD SURE LIKE TO KNOW.I DO OWN A 2005 KIA SODONA VAN AND I HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS THUS FAR I REALLY LIKE IT, BUT KIA REALLY NEEDS TO WORK THE BUGS OUT OF THAT LEMON THEY CALL A SPECTRA5.
    :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • w9cww9cw Posts: 888
    The attachment of the air dam is a know problem. Re. the blown speakers . . . I suggest turning the volume down. And, on the vibration, take your car into a good tire store and check the wheel balancing, plus the possibility of a bent wheel - it can happen with any car!
  • First of all, turn off your CAPS LOCK. It gives the effect of shouting at us. If you are frustrated with the car, fine, but don't yell at us about it.

Secondly, I tend to second the advice about turning your stereo down. If you want that much volume, put a system in that can handle it.

And third, you may or may not know that Kia is owned by Hyundai. You may be interested in seeing what Hyundai has to say about wheel vibration at this link. Once the site loads, click on NVH, then Tire/Wheel NVH, especially what they say about Radial Force Variation and the Hunter balancing machine. I suggest printing that out and taking it to your dealer. Good luck.

As for the ground effects, if I end up buying a Spec5 I plan on removing the front end spoiler and perhaps the rear. I like a cleaner look anyway and there have been a lot of complaints about the attachment of the spoiler, including in the Edmunds Long-Term Road Test.
  • Kia recalling more than 70,000 LD Spectras

http://www.thevictoriaadvocate.com/24hour/autos/story/2765925p-11367744c.html

WASHINGTON (AP) - Kia Motors America Inc. said Thursday it was recalling more than 70,000 LD Spectra sedans because the computer operating the air bag system could confuse a child seat for an adult in the front passenger seat.

The recall, which will begin in late October, involves vehicles from the 2004-2005 model years.

-SM
  • lol.

that is all.
    Geo.
  • the Spectra5 front spoiler issue. I would think that Kia would be working on a better way to attach those front valance/spoiler low-hangers for future-built Kia Spectra5's.

Has anybody heard from a dealer's service department or salesperson that Kia is going to improve that issue about the lower front end coming off too easy upon normal light collisions up there?

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• I went to the "International Auto Show" in Anaheim California on Friday and there were no Spectras at the Kia display. :( Well, there was one but it was a rally racer that was roped off and a "Do Not Touch" display.
    I just don't understand the way the manufacturers think. They go to all of the trouble and expense to design, prototype, de-bug, build and ship the cars and then when we, the consumers, want to go to an environment where we can quickly check out all of the cars on our list of "Maybes" without the hassles of salesmen, they decide to save a few bucks and only bring some of their fleet :cry: .
    Oh well, I won't let this stop me from considering the Spectra5. It sounds like a pretty good choice, front spoiler and all. Hey, I'm a machinist and think that I can fix it ;) .
  • I would also do something myself to fix the Spectra5 spoiler issue up front. It would't be hard to figure something out that would affix it more permanently. Or just remove it if you want. I would put a weatherproofing on the area where you remove the bolts/nuts/screws for the valance, though, after it comes off. Maybe it wouldn't matter that much if it's just that fiberglass material, anyway.

• spmrebelspmrebel Posts: 130
    Tigger32,

I went today, Sunday, to the "International Auto Show" in Anaheim and they had a Spectra SX in Silver at Kia's booth in which you could sit in and open all doors/trunk/etc.

Happy Motoring
  • I think I may have had the same problems. Mine made a POP noise and some vibration occasionally when I turned the car. The mechanics found that the nuts to the struts were loose. As for the speakers there made of paper and I didnt expect much of them anyways. They were replaced with Sony.
  • Hey everyone,

I'm in the market for a new car and have been mainly considering the Mazda3 and Honda Civic. I have read some good reviews of the Spectra and like the looks of the car.

I'm thinking this weekend I may go the Kia dealer and take a look. I checked out the online inventory of a couple of dealers near me and it looks like the 5-speed is not very common. Hopefully I'll be able to track one down to test drive.
  • I have a Spectra5 w/5speed transmission. It has plenty of pep and looks good. My only complaint is that the gas mileage is not what I expected. I have over 7500 miles on mine and my average is 26 mpg highway. Once, on a trip, I managed 30 but I now think that was a fluke.

No, I'm not an aggressive driver. Yes, I drive mostly interstate and I keep it at 65 mph in an effort to get the best gas mileage. I don't brake hard and I don't floor it at on-ramps. I'm really tired of people telling me that my driving is causing the low mpg.

Now that fall is here, I haven't run the air conditioner. I don't let the car idle if at all possible.

The 5-speed records 3000rpm at 65 miles per hour. I think that's the problem.

I've been told (now) that the Spectra5 automatic gets better gas mileage than the 5-speed. The dealer didn't tell me that.

No, I will not buy another auto from that dealer.

Yes, I like the Spectra5 except for the mpg and that's a big deal to me. Currently I'm driving my older car with more than 190000 miles on it because IT gets 34 mpg on a regular basis, with air conditioning running.
  • Thanks for the link. I have a vibration in my Spectra5 that has been there since new. The dealer said the tires were flatspotted and it would go away. It didn't and they rotated the tires. That didn't help, so they aligned it and balanced the tires. That made it a little worse. They said they would get new tires for me, but today said I had to go to Goodyear and they would warranty them. I'm not expecting much help from the Goodyear dealer, so I will probably be back to Kia again. Nice car, but the vibration problem should not involve so much of my time.

Has anyone had trouble with their manual shifter? Sometimes our is hard to get into reverse, requiring several tries. Also, especially when going from 2 to 3rd, it will crunch. Have driven manuals for 30 years and have 3 other cars with manuals and none have this problem. It comes and goes and of course didn't do a thing for the dealer.

I can live with the shifter, but the vibration has got to go.
  • I test drove both the manual and automatic Spectra5 models, and the sloppy shifter was the biggest reason I chose the automatic. I actually prefer a manual transmission, but Kia needs to tighten the shifter up on this one. It was also a pleasant surprise to note that the engine revs a lot less on the highway with the auto too. I’m sure that makes for better gas mileage, and so far the best I have gotten is 27 mpg.

It seems like the vibration problems you are experiencing could, and should, have been taken care of by now. I have two Kia dealerships quite close to where I live, but for some reason both of their respective service departments seem to be lacking.
  • Crowbar,

My car seemed to shift just fine on the test drive. The problem seems to come and go. Goodyear said they would take care of the tires! I was really surprised.
  • I have had my S5 for 21000 km now, and the shifting is quite tight and positive with a reassuring snick throughout all the gears. Once again, i would like to reinterate that I have not had a single problem with my Kia, I have not evperienced any of the vibration problems that have be reported on here, and to solidify my overwhelming support of the new car I am buying another one for my wife. We are soon to be a 2 Kia family.

:)
    regards
    Geo
  • Tehre is a lock out on the reverse gear, esentially if you are having toruble getting into reverse. apply the brake, apply the clutch, take it out of gear, release the clutch, depress the clutch and there you go, an effortless shift into reverse.

hope this helps
    Geo
  • yep, that is the best compliment a person can give a car, buying another one! It's also very informative that you are not experiencing any of the problems that some individuals are having with their Spec5's. Keep the comments flowing freely! :D

• I have owned a Kia Sportage since 1997, and it has always had a rather sloppy shifter as well. I took it back to the dealer a couple times, but there were no changes so I just got used to it. That is the only problem I ever had with the vehicle, so I’m not complaining. In fact the absolute reliability of the Sportage with 145,000 miles on it is the primary reason I purchased the Spectra5. I did not like the feel of the manual transmission on the car I test drove, and thus I went with the automatic. I have had no trouble whatsoever with the Spec5, and I am liking it more every day. All in all, I think Kia makes very economical and reliable vehicles, and I am a definite fan.

I’m glad to hear that Goodyear is taking care of your tire problem. I have had problems with being unable to properly balance tires in the past, and the manufacturer has usually stood behind their product and replaced the tires. I hope that takes care of the vibration issues you are having.
  • I bought an AMANTI and came to work at a KIA dealership a month later. I read most of the new posts on most of the models of KIA. Interestingly enough, I had a wheel/tire vibration issue. I had aftermarket chrome wheels (as do many of the Spec 5s I've seen around here) My problem was caused by incorrect adapters. The piece that fits at the hub behind the wheel and in front of the rotor that centers the wheel. Got the right parts and no more vibration. Smooth as glass @ 85+MPH.
  • The Kia dealer after 2 tries told me to go to Goodyear to have them fix the problem. Kia agreed to reimburse any costs I inccur. It turns out there was one bad tire and the rest needed to be rebalanced after the dealer screwed them up. The car no longer has any vibration. After all the trouble I have been through, it apparently was caused by one defective tire.

The shifter continues to be a problem, but it seems to be getting better. I have used geomatic's technique which is one I use on my old Fiat occasionally. I don't expect to have to use it on a new car. Hopefully the shifting will continue to improve. I replaced the oil with synthetic, but it did nothing noticeable.

Otherwise a great car and I am very happy with it. Especially now that it doesn't vibrate.
  • dont buy a car on its stock stereo, if you order a car new, oder it w/o a deck! you can buying kickass dvd/mp3 players for cheap.
  • I've read a bunch of the messages here. It seems like most do not get the 34 mpg that is on the window sticker of the 2005 spectra5. Has anybody gotten consistantly over 30 mpg? I have gotten a good 25 mpg with the cruise set at 65 for close to 100 miles. Also, it is new, I just passed 3000 miles.
  • spmrebelspmrebel Posts: 130
    My girlfriend has an 05 Spectra EX (sedan) and she consistently gets over 30 mpg and occassionally gets over 31 here in southern CA. She does about 80% hwy. Hers is an Auto with moonroof. She has a tad over 9500 miles.

I have an 05 Elantra GT rarely (maybe 4 times) have gotten over 30 mpg. Most of the time its between 25-28 mpg. I have an auto, moonroof and ABS/traction. I have a tad over 16K miles.

I am not sure why the Spectra gets better gas mileage but the engine may be tuned differently. They use the same engine and transmission. Aerodynamics may also play a role as the Spectra is more aerodynamic than the Elantra.
  • Which car do you like better, the Spectra or the Elantra? I thought there was more room and more comfort in the Kia but the Elantra was more sporty. What do you think?
  • marlapmarlap Posts: 18
    please someone reassure me that i am getting a good car. I am looking at a 2005 kia spectra5 for my family and i am so confused. Every other car dealer says not to buy a kia because they are "throw away cars that don't last" why do they have a better warranty than the car they are trying to sell me then? i need something that will last a long time. I am also wondering how good are they about honoring the warrantys? someone help me please!!
  • I've had my '05 Spectra5 for about 3 months and 5900 miles now and have had no problems and still like it a lot. Just curious as to what you mean a 'family car' - minivans are better suited for that purpose.

As for every other car dealer saying not to buy KIA because they are 'throwaway cars' - I wouldn't expect them to say anything else! There is no way any other car dealer would be able to match the KIA's prices, options and everything else - besides, they want you to buy from THEM! Also, if they are truly disposeable cars as they allude to, the manufacturer would actually LOSE money by offering such a long warranty!

As for lasting a long time, only time will tell as it IS a new car. But I'm happy with mine.....
  • marlapmarlap Posts: 18
    hey thanks for your help!! I was looking at a chevy hhr. i know its a jump in body style but i am looking for something to accomadate two car seats and reasonable luggage room with a 4 cylinder and good gas mileage. i am almost sold on the kia though. it is spark blue with a sunroof.
  • My Spectra5 has just a tad under 11000 miles on it. The check engine light came on last week so I took it to the dealer and he made me an appointment for the very next day. According to the paperwork, he changed some sort of switch and it was fine. No charge -- I had a recall performed at the same time.

Two days later, the light came back on. I called the dealer. He said he can't look at it until a week from Wednesday and that it won't hurt to drive it with the check engine light on, unless the check engine light starts to flash.

I know the book says the check engine light will come on if your fuel cap isn't on tightly, but mine IS on tightly.

Anyone else had this problem? I'm irritated! :(