Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Spectra5

Comments

• mechanic80mechanic80 Member Posts: 122
    I bought an AMANTI and came to work at a KIA dealership a month later. I read most of the new posts on most of the models of KIA. Interestingly enough, I had a wheel/tire vibration issue. I had aftermarket chrome wheels (as do many of the Spec 5s I've seen around here) My problem was caused by incorrect adapters. The piece that fits at the hub behind the wheel and in front of the rotor that centers the wheel. Got the right parts and no more vibration. Smooth as glass @ 85+MPH.
  • fiatfanfiatfan Member Posts: 9
    The Kia dealer after 2 tries told me to go to Goodyear to have them fix the problem. Kia agreed to reimburse any costs I inccur. It turns out there was one bad tire and the rest needed to be rebalanced after the dealer screwed them up. The car no longer has any vibration. After all the trouble I have been through, it apparently was caused by one defective tire.

The shifter continues to be a problem, but it seems to be getting better. I have used geomatic's technique which is one I use on my old Fiat occasionally. I don't expect to have to use it on a new car. Hopefully the shifting will continue to improve. I replaced the oil with synthetic, but it did nothing noticeable.

Otherwise a great car and I am very happy with it. Especially now that it doesn't vibrate.
  • oknitrooknitro Member Posts: 3
    dont buy a car on its stock stereo, if you order a car new, oder it w/o a deck! you can buying kickass dvd/mp3 players for cheap.
  • jimmybrown2jimmybrown2 Member Posts: 5
    I've read a bunch of the messages here. It seems like most do not get the 34 mpg that is on the window sticker of the 2005 spectra5. Has anybody gotten consistantly over 30 mpg? I have gotten a good 25 mpg with the cruise set at 65 for close to 100 miles. Also, it is new, I just passed 3000 miles.
  • spmrebelspmrebel Member Posts: 130
    My girlfriend has an 05 Spectra EX (sedan) and she consistently gets over 30 mpg and occassionally gets over 31 here in southern CA. She does about 80% hwy. Hers is an Auto with moonroof. She has a tad over 9500 miles.

I have an 05 Elantra GT rarely (maybe 4 times) have gotten over 30 mpg. Most of the time its between 25-28 mpg. I have an auto, moonroof and ABS/traction. I have a tad over 16K miles.

I am not sure why the Spectra gets better gas mileage but the engine may be tuned differently. They use the same engine and transmission. Aerodynamics may also play a role as the Spectra is more aerodynamic than the Elantra.
    Which car do you like better, the Spectra or the Elantra? I thought there was more room and more comfort in the Kia but the Elantra was more sporty. What do you think?
  • marlapmarlap Member Posts: 18
    please someone reassure me that i am getting a good car. I am looking at a 2005 kia spectra5 for my family and i am so confused. Every other car dealer says not to buy a kia because they are "throw away cars that don't last" why do they have a better warranty than the car they are trying to sell me then? i need something that will last a long time. I am also wondering how good are they about honoring the warrantys? someone help me please!!
  • herfnerdherfnerd Member Posts: 4
    I've had my '05 Spectra5 for about 3 months and 5900 miles now and have had no problems and still like it a lot. Just curious as to what you mean a 'family car' - minivans are better suited for that purpose.

As for every other car dealer saying not to buy KIA because they are 'throwaway cars' - I wouldn't expect them to say anything else! There is no way any other car dealer would be able to match the KIA's prices, options and everything else - besides, they want you to buy from THEM! Also, if they are truly disposeable cars as they allude to, the manufacturer would actually LOSE money by offering such a long warranty!

As for lasting a long time, only time will tell as it IS a new car. But I'm happy with mine.....
    hey thanks for your help!! I was looking at a chevy hhr. i know its a jump in body style but i am looking for something to accomadate two car seats and reasonable luggage room with a 4 cylinder and good gas mileage. i am almost sold on the kia though. it is spark blue with a sunroof.
  • loveredcarsloveredcars Member Posts: 14
    My Spectra5 has just a tad under 11000 miles on it. The check engine light came on last week so I took it to the dealer and he made me an appointment for the very next day. According to the paperwork, he changed some sort of switch and it was fine. No charge -- I had a recall performed at the same time.

Two days later, the light came back on. I called the dealer. He said he can't look at it until a week from Wednesday and that it won't hurt to drive it with the check engine light on, unless the check engine light starts to flash.

I know the book says the check engine light will come on if your fuel cap isn't on tightly, but mine IS on tightly.

Anyone else had this problem? I'm irritated! :(
  • 5port5port Member Posts: 395
    Just because your fuel cap is tightened doesnt mean the cap itself isnt faulty. Dealers have been known to replace the cap if they suspect it has a vacuum leak.
  • ajin97ajin97 Member Posts: 1
    I think I know what you mean by family car. We bought this car for reliable transportation to get my daughter to and from daycare and me to work. She is almost (2) now and we are using the large car seat and there is plenty of room for a 2nd, with room in the hatchback for a large wheel stroller. I'm not sure what type of strollers your kids use, if at all, but there is plenty of room for some luggage and things. I recently had to haul some supplies from Home Depot for a home project and it handled 40 pieces of 10' length PVC pipe 6 bags of cement, and other things all without removing the car seat(just had to fold down the other 2 seats). I've owned my Spectra5 (Silver) for nearly a year now (9500 miles). I haven't had any problems with it, and all I've had to do was keep it clean, rotate tires, and oil changes. I will be taking it in for a yearly transmission check-up, my choice since it's a manual tranny. I test drove the Mazda3i, Toyota Matrix, Scion, Xc and Xb, PT Cruiser, didn't like the Pontiac Vibe, Chevy Aveo, and the Dodge Neon, overall, I am glad I bought this car. It's sporty, a helluva warranty, and no complaints as of yet. I hope this helps
    thanks for your posts... they have really made me feel better about a kia... i have seen lots of them on the roads around here too--in s.c. Was wondering if anyone knows if they kia spectra5 has a timing belt or chain? :)
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Kia Spectra5 has a timing belt. It's the Kia design historically and I think it's a long shot that Kia went to a timing chain for their new CVVT engines.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Actually I think the engine is a Hyundai design, known as the Beta.
    Hi jimmybrown2,

The Spectra has a smoother ride, less road noise (maybe due to tires) and is more quiet especially at idle (more damping and engine noise isolation). The Elantra GT on the other hand does have better cornering capability. I use to have an 01 Elantra GLS and the Spectra is similiar to that in corning. Both (GLS and Spectra) are tuned for more comfort and a smooth ride where the GT is more towards sportier. A better comparison would be the Spectra5 or Spectra SX. Both seem to have about the same room on the inside. I would probably give the Elantra a slight edge just from perception (it feels bigger and is slighter longer in length). Anyway, if I had to choose between the 2 I think I would choose the Spectra.
  • doohickiedoohickie Member Posts: 949
    I looked at both Spectra5 and Elantra 5-door and ended up buying the Elantra. In the end, the cars are very, very similar, but I found I could get a better price on the Elantra, probably because it has an older body style. The current Elantra was new for 01; the Spectra was new starting in 2004.5. Mechanically, they are very similar. Both cars have the 100,000 mile warranty, but if you buy either car, be *very* carefull about maintenance and keeping full records; some dealers try to wiggle off the hook on technicalities.

The Elantra has had some problems due to aftermarket oil filters not working as well as the OEMs. This has not been cited for the Spectra, but the engine is the same. For a small price bump, I've decided to stick with OEM filters, and have found through specials and such that I can get them for as little as $2 a piece through dealerships. There is an aluminum crush washer on both cars that is supposed to be changed at each oil change; make sure you get that as well, and MAKE sure the oil plug is torqued to the proper value, and that the oil filter gasket from the previous filter does not stick to the engine (resulting in a double gasket which has been known to fail).

Finally, make sure you stay with recommended oil grades AND transmission oil grades. Note that Hyundai/Kia automatic transmission fluid is a unique type and cannot be replaced by more commonly available types like Mercon.

All these issues are things I've heard people having problems with on their Elantras. They are good cars, but a little off the beaten path as far as maintenance and technicians at many oil change places are not familiar with these quirks. I've even heard of Hyundai dealerships using the wrong transmission fluid, then saying the transmission failure was not covered under warranty because the wrong fluid was used. So you have to be careful.
    oknitro said: dont buy a car on its stock stereo, if you order a car new, oder it w/o a deck! you can buying kickass dvd/mp3 players for cheap.

If a stereo was superior and all other things equal, the stereo would influence my decision. As it turned out I bought a Hyundai Elantra and the same weekend replaced the stock AM/FM cassette with a Pioneer CD/MP3 player and added a Pioneer six-disc changer in the cargo area. I still have the stock speakers but will upgrade them at some point, and maybe I'll add a small subwoofer down the road.

The stock stereos in the Suzukis (Reno and Aerio) were by far the best in class of the cars I test drove, and I thought it was worth mentioning.
    Actually only the Elantra uses a crushable washer for the oil drain plug. The Spectra uses a non-crushable flat washer on the drain plug. This totally suprised me when I did the first oil change on the Spectra. Also, the Spectra is a pain to remove the oil filter compared to the Elantra. On the Spectra there is a plastic wind plate that covers the bottom of the entire front air dam which most of the screws (about 10+) need to be removed before you have access to the oil filter. On the Elantra there is a small cover which requires 2 screws to be remove.

There is a TSB on the Elantra which indicates that some engine rattling can be heard when using non-oem filters during lite throttle. I have heard this noise on my Elantra. I have heard only once on the Spectra. I have always attributed this to pinging. So back in October when I did an oil change on my Elantra I used a genuine Hyundai filter. It did not solve my rattle and there is no difference than the Purolator L14459 which I normally use. So I went back to the Purolator. I have used the Purolator exclusively on the Spectra and haven't heard the rattling sound except for the one time. Maybe I will use a better grade of gasoline to see if the rattling stops.
    That's interesting about the crush washer. I was under the impression the cars shared the oil pan, so it seems a little strange to not have the same plug details. Maybe Kia is not quite fully assimilated into Hyundai.

With respect to oil filters: Is the Purolator the same size as the OEM filter? Some of the aftermarket filters are visibly smaller than the OEM; I'm guessing those are the ones that cause problems. The "knocking" caused by the filter from what I've heard is not a pinging kind of noise, but more of a bearing knock inside the engine. I read on a Suzuki board somewhere that they had pinging issues on Aerios and had a certain fuel injector cleaner (I think) that was supposed to clear it up. Not sure if it would work on our cars.
    The oil pans appear to be nearly the same. As I remember the actual plugs are pretty close also. Only real difference was that the Elantra had a crushable washer and the Spectra does not. I kinda of like not having the crushable washer because I don't have to go out constantly buying those as they recommend to replace on each oil change. However, one thing the crushable washer does is you don't seem to have to make the drain plug as tight as you would without it. This makes it so much easier to remove the drain plug on your next oil change.

Yes. The Purolator oil filter (model L14459) is near identical (length and diameter) to the Hyundai one. The Purolator also has the pressure/bypass valve at the bottom. When I first started using the Purolator and compared to the Hyundai I thought perhaps they sourced from the same manufacturer. Only big difference is the color. Purolator is white and Hyundais are black or blue. Fram has one, which I never used, which is quite a bit smaller than the OEM so I never used it on the Hyundai.

On my 03 Aerio SX I also had that rattling noise. Quite a few Aerio SX owners experienced this from reading other forums. I had heard that some attributed this to the engine heat shield. I checked my heat shield and it was on pretty darn tight. Anyway, I just learned to live with it as it would come and go. Similiar to the GT.
    The oil pans appear to be nearly the same.

The most recent Elantra oil pan, I think, has logos for both Kia and Hyundai on it, as does the oil filter.

On my old Ford Aspire, the exhaust heat shields were always rattling and after a while I found I needed to just crawl under about once a year and tighten everything up.

One more question for you, since you have both cars... do you know if the rear suspension on the Spec5 is the same as on the Elantra? One thing several Elantra owners (including myself) have done is upgrade the 15 mm rear sway bar with the 19 mm rear sway bar from the 03 Tiburon which improves body roll in the corners quite a bit. If the Spec5 has the same rear sway bar as the Elantra, the same mod could help the Spec5. And I'm kind of curious as to whether this would work.
    on the rear sway bar thing, if I decide that the '06 Rio LX sedan is too small and want to test drive one of the Spectra 5's my local dealer has in stock.

19mm rear sway bar, eh?

I don't remember seeing the Hyundai or Kia logo on the bottom of the oil pan when doing oils changes the last 2 weekends. I will check again this weekend when time comes to washing the cars. Remember this was only at the bottom from doing a oil change and looking at it. It could be stamped somewhere on the side.

I am pretty sure the suspension pieces are identical to the Elantra and Spectra. I will confirm this weekend. The Elantra unit body chassis is used for the Spectra pretty much intact from my understanding so mounting points for the suspension are the same so I would think that the suspension pieces are the same. The front tower brace on the Spectra5 can be used on the Elantra. There are a few people in other forums that are using it.
  • bpaulabpaula Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I have owned a Spectra5 since September and are extremely pleased with it. No problems, great looks, many standard features at a great price. Don't believe those other dealers, they're jealous because they don't have a car that match its quality, price, features, and warranty. Remember,Hyundai owns Kia and they make some excellent cars. I know, I own two of them. Korean cars offer great value so be assured.
    It's settled then, Kia spectra is more comfortable than the Elantra. I know there's more leg room in the Kia for those who are a bit chubby of thigh.
    I would really like to trade in my '98 malibu for another kia. Either the spectra or the Rio. We have a 2005 spectra 5 and we really like it. But, like I said in an earlier post, the gas mileage just isn't so great. I read one report on the Rio where the evaluator got over 30 mpg on it. But there is also the money. The spectra is bigger and the price is so freakin close. It seems like the spectra is just more car for basically the same money and possibly the same gas mileage. Am I right?
    I would like to report one small issue we've had with our spectra. The smart airbag on the passenger side isn't all that smart. My wife doesn't seem to set it off most of the time. I mean, the light stating that the airbag is off seems to be on most of the time. It's been reflashed by the dealer a few times now. I think the only option is to change out the mechanical switch, however that's done. But Kia hasn't given the dealer the go ahead on that yet. There is still the possibility of her not being big enough to set it off consistantly, but how big do you have to be? (Ssshhhh, she weighs about 170 to 180). That's as big or bigger than what the government says most men should weigh so I find it hard to believe she's too small. Would they make it so only obese people would be enough to turn it on? A friend of mine who is about 230 sat in it a few times and it turned on ever time. But, the dealer is not giving us the cold should and seems to be doing everything they can to take care of it, so no complaints, yet.
    I have to disagree that the Spectra is more comfortable than the Elantra, in at least one important area: driver's seat adjustability. I have found the Elantra's driver's seat more comfortable than the Spectra's because the Elantra's bottom cushion has separate adjustments for the front and back, while the Spectra's has one adjustment. I found I wanted to raise the front of the Spectra's seat bottom higher--but I couldn't. It may not be an issue for many people, but it's a significant difference for me.
  • bpaulabpaula Member Posts: 2
    I had a similar problem with my S5. KIA sent me 2 recalls dealing with the passenger airbag, there was a problem with its programing. The dealer reprogramed the computer and the matter was solved.
    I consider both the Elantra and Spectra to be equivalent as far as seat adjustment and both seats are equally comfortable. Spectra has a single lever for height and tilt. The Elantra does the same using two knobs.
    On my grilfriends' 05 Spectra EX whenever she sits in the passenger seat about half the time the airbag sensor is light indicating that the airbag is off. It doesn't seem to think anyone of significant weight is sitting there. Granted she is only 105lbs but still. Its good to know that Kia has a recall. I will take the car in to have the airbag sensor reprogrammed. We never got notified.
    Spectra has a single lever for height and tilt. The Elantra does the same using two knobs.

Not quite the same thing. You cannot adjust the front and back of the Spectra's drivers seat bottom cushion independently. You can do so with the Elantra and other cars like the Forenza that have independent controls for those two adjustments.
    Similar issue with Elantras. Mine seems to work okay, but there is a websited devoted to the issue at ElantraAirBags.com. There is a forum and a video showing pretty much what other people are reporting (a fairly slim, maybe 100-130 woman doesn't make the light off, but her 180 father does). If my car did that and it was our primary family car, I'd be pretty agressive in getting it fixed. As far as where the "switch" is, I believe it's a sensor made of a resistor network that's built into the seat.

Note that this is not an "economy car" or "import car" issue; many models are having problems because the Occupant Classification System is a new requirement for U.S. cars and all the bugs aren't worked out yet.
    There is a recall for the Elantra OCS problem--it was taken care of on my '04 GT many weeks ago during a 15k service. It took a little over an hour for everything, including the recall fix, so it must not be a big deal to correct.
    Disagree. On my Spectra you can adjust seat cushion
    Yes, I know you can adjust the seat cushion on the Spectra. But not to the same degree as on the Elantra. That is a fact. If you wish to demonstrate that for yourself, you can always check it out at your local Hyundai dealer. I have driven both the Spectra and Elantra so I know it is true.
  • geomaticsgeomatics Member Posts: 60
    Had this service done on my s5 took a total of 15 min from when i walked into the dealership, even without an appointment. If my previous GM dealer was as good as this I may still be driving a gm product, but alas... never again.

Love the S5

Geo.
  • axel_roseaxel_rose Member Posts: 16
    I bought mine last March and I already have 21k on it. I make a commute of 172 miles (RT) four days a week so I am averaging 688 miles every week. The car has performed well for me, handles excellent in the rain, averages 31 - 34 miles per gallon on the highway, Has seen 110 mph with room to go and has all the amenities I could ask for (power, snrf, cruise, ac). The only option I didn't get was abs. I want to know if anyone has changed out the stock radio yet? I hate to loose the asthetics by getting an aftermarket unit but, I want to improve the overall sound in the car since I spend a good deal of time driving. Is it possible to add an amp to the factory unit? Also, is there any kind of direct connect for Sirius? I already have a portable Sirius unit that I use in the car but, want to get away from the FM modulator.
    Backy, I own both cars so I know what I say is true. You can adjust both seat cushions identically.
    I stand by my statement. One manual lever cannot adjust a seat bottom in the same way as do two manual controls that independently raise and lower different parts of the cushion. I think we may be talking in different terms as to what constitutes "adjusting" the seat cushion. I will leave it at that.

FWIW, here is my review of the 2004.5 Spectra, with comments on the seat height adjuster. Maybe the adjuster has been improved since that model year?

backy, "2005 Kia Spectra/Cerato" #198, 27 Mar 2004 2:09 pm
    nope still the same. single lever hight adjustment and single lever recline adjustment. Suits me just fine, I find my seats in the 05 spec5 more comfortable than my inlaws elantra. but that is just my opinion.

my 2 cents.
    Geo.
    I have both an 05 Spectra EX (my girlfriends) and an 05 Elantra GT in my garage. Both in my opinion are equally comfortable and can be adjusted the same.
    just above mine here settles it.

BTW-would you be goofy enough to let a seat decide what kind of rig you buy...anyway? ;)

Hey, who are you calling goofy!?!? 8-)
    would think that I meant you, backy!

I didn't mean you, though I certainly recall that you have an issue with new-world-order Kia Spectra seats.

No, really I think it's goofy if anybody lets something like a new car's seat affect whether or not they would buy the car or not. How about looking at it this way: if somebody likes a car's seat and they also like several more important features of that car, well then great. They can lump the seat in with all of the other things that they love about that car.

But, what if someone love's a new car's manual transmission, it's moonroof, it's stereo, it's leather-wrapped steering wheel, it's speed-sensitive power steering, etc. The one thing they don't like is the car's seat. They may even dig that new car's Warranty, it's initial price, etc. but it's that nasty seat they don't like. I don't know about you, but IMHO, I think that's just...goofy!

Remember the 2006 Hyundai Sonata thread a couple months ago...people were complaining about the new Sonata's seat, that they felt like they were leaning forward in the seat too much, that Hyundai mis-built the driver's seat. I haven't test drove the Sonata, so I don't know personally what they're talking about, but I think they were being goofy.

Imagine that, backy, me thinking someone else is goofy! ;)

Oh, I almost forgot! Seattle 27, Pittsburgh 18. I'll tweak it throughout the week as needs be. That's how I think the Big Boy is gonna come out. Can't wait for the Seahawks to get their first title!

When I was at my local Kia dealer driving the Rio5 last weekend, I did a test-sit in the Spectra5 just to make sure I wasn't imagining things when I drove the Spectra awhile back. I wasn't. Same lousy single-lever adjuster. The Rio5, fortunately, has the dual-knob setup like the old Spectra had and like the Elantra and several other Kias and Hyundais have. I was able to adjust the Rio5's seat juuuuuuust right. :)

But the seat bottom wouldn't turn me away from the Spectra5. The $18.2k sticker price (without much in the way of rebates) would do that all by itself. :(
    Keep in mind that the 2 cars are in entirely different classes: Rio-sub compact, Spectra -mid size.

Geo.
    SEOUL) February 1, 2006 -- Kia Motors Corporation announced today that its overseas retail sales of passenger cars and light trucks in January 2006 recorded 54,834 units, representing a 7.1% year-on-year increase.

By region, Europe continued its steady growth with 21,940 units sold in January for a 13.8% rise over the same period of last year. Meanwhile, sales of Kia vehicles in the general market and North America recorded 14,014 units (4.3% year-on-year increase) and 18,880 (2.2% year-on-year increase), respectively.

Popular RV models -- Sportage compact SUV (8,250 units) and Sorento full-size SUV (8,196 units) -- were Kia’s top selling vehicles in overseas markets in January. The A-segment Picanto -- Kia’s top selling model overseas in 2005 -- and the B-segment Rio were the third and fourth best-selling models in January, posting sales of 7,568 and 7,916 units, respectively.

Yong-Hwan Kim, Senior Executive Vice President and COO of Kia Motors Corporation, said, “All indications show that Kia is once again off to a fast start to begin the year.”

“And thanks to our continuing aggressive new model launch strategy, we aim to sell 1,226,900 vehicles globally in 2006, with 907,900 of this amount in overseas markets.”

New Kia models to be introduced in 2006 include the short body version of the new Carnival (Sedona) MPV, the completely redesigned new Carens compact MPV and an all-new C-segment car designed specifically for the European market that will be produced at Kia’s new factory in Slovakia. Also, the ever-popular Sorento SUV will receive a face-lift in 2006 along with the C-segment Cerato (Spectra) and Opirus (Amanti) luxury sedan.

Editor’s notes:

1) Figures do not include domestic sales and KD (knock down) exports assembled at overseas plants.
    2) “General market” includes the regions of Central & South America, Asia & Pacific, and Middle East & Africa.

****so much for the hope of the body style being around long enough for the aftermarket accessories giants to make some really cool stuff for our little cars.**

Geo.
    Rio is actually in the compact class now, measured by EPA interior volume (which is what puts Spectra into the mid-sized class). But at over $18k, the Spectra5 is getting into Mazda3s 5-door territory, and is far above (price-wise) Elantra 5-door territory. For the money, I'd much rather have a Mazda3s, or save a few thousand bucks and go with the Elantra. Maybe that is why my local Kia dealer has lots of Spectras on the lot.
  • spectramanspectraman Member Posts: 255
    "But the seat bottom wouldn't turn me away from the Spectra5. The $18.2k sticker price (without much in the way of rebates) would do that all by itself."

I too have noticed how stingy KIA's being with the rebates these days.

I suspect that it's a combination of KIA wanting to test the waters on how high they can price their vehicles BEFORE sales are adversely affected, coupled with the rising cost of energy and raw materials (steel, etc.). KIA obviously has to make a profit on their vehicles, else they'll be tempted to pack it in.

The big thing they're facing in this country is how long they can tread water (aka: subsidize their vehicle prices) to allow the stigma of the KIA name to wear off, and thus warrant the higher prices.

I'm a "believer", and have done more than my share of defending the brand against KIA bigots out on the various forums, but it's hard work! KIA really, REALLY has an image problem out there with the rank and file car drivers.

I think Hyundai/KIA are going to have start spending some money on motor sports and performance car development to start getting some positive attention beyond the intermittent positive Car and Driver article, etc.

Obviously they shouldn't attempt to compete in the Corvette/Viper territory, but why not create some kick butt little turboed 4-cyl autocross type vehicles???

-SM