Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MX-5 Miata (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• 3rd top - wow! My '93 is on it's second but that's due to the plastic rear window clouding, not holes in the top. Strange.

I will say that I've been VERY pleased with Capital Mazda of Cary too. I bought from the other local dealer and they didn't give me any problems but they weren't extremely helpful or convenient either. We bought a 2001 MPV from Capital in July and they were wonderful to deal with. Without ANY haggling, they gave us more than True Market Value for our trade-in (by about $2K), $2000 cash back, 4.9% financing for 48 months, and $0.01 (yes one cent) over dealer invoice. Needless to say I paid less for the MPV than I did for my Miata back in 1993!

That said, Ford has nothing to do with the current Miata - it's all Mazda. The next generation may see some Ford content, but you can't blame your particular troubles on the Blue Oval. The Cruise Control and the CD player are not built by Mazda (though they are sourced by them unless your dealer installed either). The CC sounds like an adjustment issue.

We've loved the MPV so far and it hasn't given us a problem in 6700 miles (one should expect so). I had my first "failure" in the Miata last month after 116,000 miles - had to replace the heater core. Not fun, but it took a lot of old rattles out! Overall, I've heard of a lemon here and there with Mazda, but they're rare.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Ford has not (yet) had any influence on the Miata, fortunately. There's a bad apple in every batch, I guess.

My '93 still has the original top, and in the 1.5 years I've owned it not a single thing has gone wrong with it.

MPV has been reliable, it beats the Odyssey there. The 626 is pretty good, just avoid the 4 cylinder auto (Ford CD4E tranny is bad). The good news is the Mazda 6 may get the Jatco 5 speed auto from the MPV (i.e. non-Ford).

-juice
  • '92, with the original top still in very good shape. We've only had her 10 months, and she spent her formative years as a Garage Queen. But no more. :))
  • freddy_kfreddy_k Posts: 376
    The only problem is that the car fogs up really easily and I have to keep the windshield defogger on most of the time at the third or fourth setting since winter hit.
    I finally got to drive it in some snow and I found that while the car is more slippery, it is much easier to control then any of the front drive cars I've had. As long as the roads are plowed regularly where you live, and the snow doesn't pile up too high, the Miata seems fine in the winter, and actually quite fun. At the first snowfall I brought the car to a parking lot to throw it around on fresh snow and get used to the handling.

Anyone driving this car in snow should defenitly get ABS, it makes a huge difference.

Black vs Tan:
    After more then two years and two winters on the road the tan interior of my car is still spotless. With regular cleaning and maintenance the Tan top and interior will stay clean, it's just a bit more work. I would be cleaning the black just as often because I don't like the dirt whether I see it or not!
    Freddy: I agree that with the right tires with Miata would be fine. By my concern is all the other folks out there, on slippery snow and ice, especially the overconfident ones in those hulking SUVs.

Here's a question: what do you clean your top with? Mine is filthy, more brown than tan right now. Simple Green? Regular car wash soap? A specific cleaner?

-juice
  • WarpDriveWarpDrive Posts: 506
    and a toothbrush. Seems to get out most stains.
    Thanks, I need to try something. I saw another tan top and it put mine to shame in the looks department. At least mine doesn't leak or anything.

-juice
    I've found a foam spray called Tannery leather and vinyl cleaner that works well to maintain the leather and plastic inside as well as the top, but it won't do much on a top already stained from neglect. I still have some permanent stains I haven't been able to remove. Maybe I'll try that Mothers in the spring, when I remove the hard top.
    The previous owner garaged it, but probably never cleaned the top itself.

-juice
  • miata007miata007 Posts: 129
    How much should I offer this person for his 95 Miata AE with BBS wheels? It is in average condition with no accidents. The car is fully loaded with every options available, except spoiler. The car has 60,000 mi and is a 6sp in case any of you don't know. I am thinking about $6000. Is that a good deal? That's probably how much he is going to get if he were to trade it in.

• maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Didn't know they made a 6spd Miata before 2000. I guess we do learn something new every day.
    Yes it is a 6sp. It was only avail. on the anniversary edition at that time. It also has
    ABS standard.

• ace10ace10 Posts: 137
    dating back to 1993. never, ever heard of an '95 AE, just a '95 M edition in merlot, with BBS wheels. it's a nice color, the merlot, that is. 60K miles, average condition with the 5 speed, should be in the $8 to $9K range. the six speed wasn't introduced until the'00 10AE model.

not to sound demeaning, but.. are your counting reverse as a sixth gear? i can't think of a single automobile, including the fussy italians, that had a more than five forward gear ratios. except maybe the 'vette with that wacky second to fourth lockout feature.

could this be some sort of an import (gray market) or a perhaps a frankenstein bolted together with a different tranny and some bogus badges.

just a thought or two.

ace
  • davidb72davidb72 Posts: 174
    If it is a real 1995 Anniv Ed then you better offer him $100,000.00 because that's the only one around...
    I've checked again. It is a M edition and only
    5sp, not counting reverse. Sorry for not being so sure and good things you guys corrected me. I feel so stupid now..heeheee. I plan to offer him dealer trade in value.

$6k sounds low, I doubt he'll accept if it's a private sale. But try.

-juice
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    That means I didn't learn anything yesterday.

Quick, somebody feed me some mindless fact to make up for it!
  • dgraves1dgraves1 Posts: 414
    If your Miata is VIN 209447 or higher you don't have to worry about the crankshaft issue.

Is that good, maltb?
  • My wife and I have tried, without success, to locate the Valet switch and semi-permanently disable the alarm on our Miata. The alarm is a Viper 300. We've looked everywhere around the cockpit without success. Using the remote Valet function from the transmitter doesn't seem to work. Any thoughts on where the switch might be hidden?
  • <<The only problem is that the car fogs up really easily and I have to keep the windshield defogger on most of the time at the third or fourth setting since winter hit.
    The only problem is that the car fogs up really easily and I have to keep the windshield defogger on most of the time at the third or fourth setting since winter hit.>>
    Make sure the fresh-recirc lever (bottom lever) is in the fresh (far right) position.
  • hirobynhirobyn Posts: 10
    Hi all,

This is my first post here. On 12/21/01 I bought my first new car. :-) A beautiful 2001 Crystal Blue (base) Miata. This weekend I had a lot of fun driving around with the top down. I was very excited since this was the first weekend with warm enough weather to do so. (I live in SW Florida.) I did have a good laugh when my boyfriend squeezed into the passengers seat. He's 6'4" and looks straight into the sunvisor/window frame of the car.

That aside, I'm looking for some help on installing tweeters in the doors. The dealer said the car is pre-wired for the tweeters. It's just a matter of me buying a pair and installing them, he said. I thought it would be an easy modification. Just pop off the grill and wire the new tweeters. However, I have tried to take the grill off and have not been able to do so. I'm not sure if it's because I'm not using enough force or if the grills just aren't meant to be popped out. It looks like I may be able to take the molding off the door that incorporates the speaker grill, yet when I tried this I was also unsuccessful. Again, I may not be using enough force. It is a new car and I am afraid of breaking something.

So, if anyone out there has installed after market tweeters can you please share your expertise.
    Congrats! Although I don't know anything about putting tweeters in an M2 Miata, I'm sure that someone here ... http://www.miata.net does!

Check out the forums, they cover everything and I'll bet that this exact topic has been discussed in the audio forum before. Here is a direct link to the Audio forum.... http://www.miataforum.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum&f=18

Thanks, it seems to have helped. I didn't even realize it had been switched.
  • hirobynhirobyn Posts: 10
    Thanks for the advice. I checked the web sites you gave and it appears that my salesman was wrong. It's not simple. You can't just pop off the grill and install the speakers. You have to remove the door panel! Figures!!

Tomorrow I am bringing the car in for an after market cruise control installation. I'll ask the guy again how easy it is to install the speakers.
    Well, sorry I was the bearer of bad news... Glad you found out though...
  • Asking $8900, original owner, 36K, bare options--AT, PS, PB. Digital pics look to be in excellent condition.

I would like to test drive and schedule for diagnostics, but would like to have a reasonable/fair price to negotiate with before plunking $$ for tests.

This car is alternative to a '99 GS Sable, 47K, 24 valve Duratec engine, power steering/doors/windows, rear defroster, ABS brakes, tilt/cruise control for $7700. This car passed AAMCO transmission diagnostics easily, and is scheduled for AAA diagnostics.

I was all set to pay $7700 provided it passed, but the owner rescheduled for next week.

Now, I had time to shop for a Miata.

I'd driven a Sable stationwagon for 14 years; kids are grown and out of the car. Don't need all that room anymore.

If I can get the Miata close to the Sable (up to $8K), I'll opt for the sports car with one original owner. The Sable was a rental sold at auction, then bought by the owner from the dealer.

Can really use some help re what's the better car/deal. My '88 Sable wagon is on it's last legs--may not last the month.

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,468
    Buying that Sable Wagon that used to be a rental probably isn't the best move you could make. The Miata is definitely a better choice, even if it is equipped with a slushbox.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• brekkebrekke Posts: 304
    $8900 seems high to me. Have you checked autotrader.com and the used car pricing here?
    I abuse rentals, and I bet lots of other peope do too.

But never mind that, Sable or Miata? Not a very tough choice! :-)

-juice