Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    When I drive there I see a farm here or there, but most houses are not on farms, but big yards.

Now they've started building some newer houses along the way, it feels more suburban in certain pockets.

Maybe it's sub-rural? Rural light? You might say it used to be rural, perhaps.

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Yeah big yards, and a lot of big yards with lots of woods. Big yards require a lot of work. I'm not the only one out here with a trailer to cart off yard waste. I've said before that I cart off 9 – 10 trailer loads of leaves just from my front yard to the landfill every year. There are many people out here who do the same.

Bob
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I've said before that I cart off 9 – 10 trailer loads of leaves just from my front yard to the landfill every year. There are many people out here who do the same.

Now if it were really rural you'd just leave those leaves where they fell and let nature do it's thing.
    Sounds like the county should pave that path! LOL

Or at least throw some gravel on the ground.

Watch - that'll happen the day after Bob buys the first B9 Telluride that comes off the assembly line. They'll pave the whole dump just to spite him.

-juice
    Well I try to grow grass there. Can't do that with leaves on the lawn. All the leaves in my back yard get blown into the woods.

Rural? Rural-lite? Call it what you will, but it's not suburban.

But we're getting away from the discussion. There are lots of people like me, who live in these kinds of areas. People who live within 20 – 30 miles of a major metropolitan area, and their properties require a lot of work. many of these people commute to white-collar jobs in the cities or suburbs, and a pickup is not the vehicle of choice.

Bob
  • jon_in_ctjon_in_ct Member Posts: 137
    In post ateixeira, "Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)" #1342, 25 Jan 2005 12:07 pm ateixeira wrote:
    What matters is they are all on carefully chosen hard surfaces.

Those 18" rims would be damaged in anything remotely off road.

-juice
    What's the basis for that assertion? The sidewall height (nominal distance between rim and road) for the Tribeca's 255/55 R18 tires is 5.5 inches. By comparison, the Forester XS's 215/60 R16 sidewall is only 5.1 inches. Which vehicle is more likely to suffer rim damage?
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    is more likely to suffer rim damage

The rim that shaq slams at
  • bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    You know.. I was going to get to that but thanks for questioning it. Because even in the pics, the sidewall looks tall enough to handle 'moderate' off-road capabilities.

lol @ swamp...
    has nothing to do with it. The tire's aspect ratio is far more important in terms of whether there will be damage.

Heck, '05 Ford F-350 Super-Duty trucks have 18" rims. No problem there. :)

Bob
  • bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    So are you underestimating or estimating that the rim is not 'strong' enough to handle off-road ability?

Why not just change the tires then?
    rsholland wrote:
    Rim size has nothing to do with it. The tire's aspect ratio is far more important in terms of whether there will be damage.
    I disagree with this, too. My 2002 WRX came with 205/55 R16 tires, which have the same aspect ratio as the Tribeca's 255/55 R18 tires. The sidewall on the WRX's tires is only 4.4 inches whereas the Tribeca's sidewall is 5.5 inches. I'm pretty sure I'd rather be in a Tribeca when I hit a big chuck hole at speed.
    Point taken, and agreed.

What I was trying to say, as a rule, the higher the aspect ratio, the less chance for tire damage. By that I mean it is less likely for you to have tire damage with a tire with a large 75 aspect ratio than one with a small 55 aspect ratio.

So using my Ford F-350 comparison: I believe single-rear wheel F-350s use a 265/70 (75?)x18 tire. The Tribeca use a 255/55x18. So the sidewall measurement is considerably more on the F-350. Also the F-350 uses a pure "truck" tire too.

Bob
  • sdufordsduford Member Posts: 577
    Gee, I step away for a day and I come back to 70 messages about dumps and body cladding!

Seriously though, Subaru is clearly aiming the B9 at the urban crowd. I also do think that a ruggedised Outback version (not just cosmetics) will be needed. That's what I would need anyway.

Sly
  • ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    If you're going to talk about the addition of body cladding ala Aztec ... don't forget the tent coming out of the rear ....
    yeah and i want a fold out stove and a mini fridge and a plasma and a...
    You forgot the front mounted flame thrower
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Maybe a retired white collar guy who moved back to the farm where he grew up, something like that. But how many of those are there?

I haven't retired yet.

Ed
    Bob - I guess if you want one vehicle to do it all, a pickup is not the usual choice.

5.5" is a decent amount of sidewall. But keep in mind the Tribeca weighs half a ton more than the Forester, so the tires and suspension will have a lot more impact to absorb.

-juice
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    one vehicle to do it all... that's the Honda Ridgeline or Baja Tribeca with the trunk in the bed. No kidding, I am serious lol.

John
  • newsubunewsubu Member Posts: 39
    I'm told NO financing incentives on the Tribeca, just asked. Said they will use "standard rates" if you must finance thru Subaru, about 5.5% - 6.0% based on teir 1 credit. I plan to find a better rate elsewhere, and will try to get Subaru to beat it. I plan to finance less than half, and hope Subaru will attempt to earn that business, as the dealer did my pre-order.
  • dsattlerdsattler Member Posts: 135
    Has anyone attended the VIP owners' event for the B9 at any auto shows? I just got an email to attend the Baltimore event, and I'm wondering what they do and if it's worth changing my schedule to be able to attend.
    Free pass, right? At least that.

Showed the brochure to a Volvo fan here at work and his ball park for the price loaded up was $45k. When I told him under $40 he was impressed.

Perhaps people that shop luxury brands are used to seeing prices in the 40s (or higher), so to them the sticker shock is in reverse?

-juice
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    a Tribeca Baja, there's a thought!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

a Tribeca Baja, there's a thought!

they would have to rename that to the B9 Oxymoron. dreams of sophisticated mexican cities?

maybe the B9 Cobo Wabo
    TriBrat? TriBaja? Tribecaback? :-)

-juice
     hello SoA, please do NOT use the stones song as your background tunes for tv ads....

I can't get no satisfaction, I can't get no satisfaction

'Cause I tri and I tri and I tri and I tri

I can't get no, I can't get no
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    I sat through the 15 minute VIP pitch for the Tribeca in order to ask some questions and also they let VIPs look at the car more closely. You can crawl all around it, sit in it, etc... Otherwise, the Tribeca was roped off from general show-goers at Richmond, so the VIP event was the only way to physically get access to the vehicle.

I wouldn't go for the sales pitch, but I would go if you want free tickets to the car show or if you want to get a close look at the Tribeca.

Craig
  • saustinsaustin Member Posts: 68
    Hi,

Maybe i've missed the specs somewhere on the Subaru web site but do not see any interior size info. Is this interior any bigger than a legacy ? or Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey etc ?

Thanks, Steve.
    Hi,

Subaru has posted that the B9 is making the rounds at some of the car shows. Has anyone been lucky enough to see if first hand and be willing to give a first impression. Many thanks, Steve.
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    go to b9tribeca.com & news/events to see all auto shows
    Just search through this thread and the Future Vehicles one. 100s of messages from people who have seen it in person.

Sly
    Thanks, that the site we saw with the show events.Wanted to hear from folks who've attended.
    had looked from 64 on with no info from an in person siting.
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Scan back. Juice and Bob saw it and reported on Jan 11 or so. I saw it and reported on Jan 15 or so. We all gave writeups and pictures. I actually liked the Tribeca a lot. It's definitely roomier than the Legacy/Outback.

Craig
    We could get Dicky V., instead of Trifecta is Tribeca!

I liked how he would pronounce Mercury.

Steve Austin: the bionic man. ;-)

Inside is wider than the Legacy, better for 3 across seating in the middle row. Cargo space is not any bigger unless you slide the 2nd row forward, though.

The front arm rest is also wider, the seats farther apart.

Still, I'd call it a roomy mid-size, not a full-size vehicle by any means.

-juice
    Thanks juice, makes it very hard then to choose between this and a loaded Sienna.
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    OK, I admit it. I am a geek. While C&D is my magazine of choice, I also get Motor Trend. They had a preview of the Tribeca. They talked about a comparison to the X5 3.0, and how the Tribeca offered about a 20% better hp to weight ratio. They also said that Subaru was claiming 0-50 in 8.0, which they thought was about a half second conservative. While they did not time it, they said with the gearing they thought about 7.5 seconds 0-60 seemed reasonable.

If that is the case, I think it has enough power as compared to the competition, all carping about torque aside.

They did comment on the controversial nose, but I am trying to stay away from further discussions of styling, which I think have been beat to death.
    go to subdriven.com
    it is not hard. wait for the tribeca. The VDC feature alone is worth it.
    this is what motor trend had to say

Don't laugh, but this crossover SUV powered by the Outback wagon's 3.0-liter flat-six and five-speed automatic is intended to outperform BMW's X5 3.0i. Check the stats: relative to the BMW's inline six the Subie makes 25 more horsepower (250 total), and the truck weighs 450 pounds less, giving it a 19 percent advantage in weight-to-power. The front strut/rear multi-link suspension is tuned to closely match the handling dynamics of the BMW, while softening the suspension settings for improved ride quality. Fat 255/55R18 Goodyear Eagles match the size of the X5's sport suspension tires. Where Subaru clearly trumps BMW is in interior space efficiency. Stretching just five inches longer on a 2.8-inch shorter wheelbase, the B9 Tribeca fits three rows of seats (a third-row-delete option will be offered). Max cargo space with the seats folded flat appears to be much larger than in the BMW. Of course, learning to love Subaru's new airplane-inspired nose may take time.
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    Oops, I meant to say Subaru was claiming 0-60 in 8.0 seconds, which Motor Trend thought was conservative.
    Here's what people will actually read if they buy the March 2005 Motor Trend magazine:
    2006 SUBARU B9 TRIBECA

It has great, er.. personality

Don't guffaw, but Subaru thinks it can build a better X5. Really. Your eyes are rolling, but the engineers of this Indiana-built crossover were so sure we'd agree that they let us drive the new B9 Tribeca back-to-back with an X5 3.0i priced about $15,000 higher.

Subaru's six cylinders are arranged horizontally for a lower center of gravity. This 3.0-liter flat-six comes directly out of an Outback and sounds even sweeter than the X5's inline-six. Relative to that sterling mill, it produces an extra 25 horsepower and five-pound-feet of torque. Weighing in at a claimed 4250 pounds, the Scooby's six has 450 fewer pounds to lug around that the Bimmer, giving it a 19 percent advantage in weight-to-power.

Drop the hammer, and the B9 steps off briskly enough to discount Subaru's 8.0-second 0-to-60-mph estimate as at least a half-second conservative. Short gearing in the standard five-speed automatic and an aggressive throttle tip-in would make this a difficult vehicle to place accurately on rocks and other off-road obstacles. But with no low-range or locking differentials, Subaru (like BMW) is content to cede that type of driving to Jeep. Standard AWD and stability control teamed with 8.4 inches of ground clearance should tackle any rough two-track.

A front strut/rear multilink suspension was tuned to closely match the handling dynamics of the BMW, while softening the suspension settings for improved ride quality. Fat 255/55R18 Goodyear Eagles match the size of the X5's sport suspension tires. An hour behind the wheel afforded few twisty sections, but each was threaded with aplomb and minimal body roll. Midcourse steering corrections never were required, but the steering feels a trifle light, and it transmits less road-surface information than BMW's does. Still, this is an impressively astute road-runner.

Where Subaru clearly trumps BMW is in interior-space efficiency. Stretching just five inches longer on a 2.8-inch-shorter wheelbase the B9 Tribeca fits three rows of seats (a third-row-delete option will be offered). The middle row slides to apportion legroom between rows. Max cargo space with the seats folded flat appears to be much larger than in the BMW.

Subaru's new aeronautical, dare we say Alfa-inspired, façade may cause passersby to smirk, but the smiles on a B9 driver's face will be genuine - Frank Markus
    Vans will win on space, compared to any SUV really. I bet a Sienna has as much interior space as full-size SUVs.

Those 0-60 estimates sound great. What did they do to the engine tuning and tranny? Wow.

C&D's numbers for the MDX and Pilot are 7.8 and 7.6, respectively.

Glad to hear they thought body roll was under control.

-juice
    OK, who do I gotta pay off to drive one of these things! I'm salivating at the thought...

-juice
    but posts messages from the after life.
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    My minivan had a lot more space than my Sequoia. But my Suburban had more space than my Minivan, but it's significantly larger too! ;-)

Wow, if the Tribeca can even pull off an 8 sec 0-60 I'd be impressed. I guess they don't need a high top speed and can gear the tranny as such.

A little faster would be nice, though. ;-)

I'm still waiting to see one in person- but change the nose and I'd definitely consider buying one right now.

tom
    8 sec is more than decent for a family car
    and as much as I like the "Telluride" name, I think from a marketing position, Subaru might be better served by just adding an LL Bean version—but with all those features that were mentioned a while back as part of the Telluride package/trim.

I still would very much like to see a B9 Telluride, but maybe that could be the name for a Baja replacement, if they decide to do that. I think the Baja has generated so much bad press, that if Subaru should ever want to do a pickup based on the B9 platform, perhaps severing all ties to the "Baja" name might be a wise marketing move.

I do like the name "Baja," and I still believe in the concept; I just don't see Subaru continuing with it. Just as other truckmakers introduce new names for larger all-new models (Tacoma/Tundra, etc.), Subaru should probably do the same.

Bob
    8 sec is more than decent for a family car

i hate these generalizations as i would love a 0-60 in 5.0 minivan. fast family cars ( fxt ) rock.
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    I agree! (although I'd settle for 0-60 in 6 sec)

tom