Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• drdoowopdrdoowop Member Posts: 5
    Butt ugly.

'05 Outback Wagon

'98 Forseter L

'91 Loyale Wagon
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    MT estimates 7.5s after driving it, so quick or not it must not feel slow.

C&D also said it never felt lacking, especially rolling acceleration.

swampy is going to sue for trade mark violation. He does own the quick post. ;-)

-juice
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    Bob, my bad, I am the only one I see complaining a lot and that is because I am 6' 3". But I really do need a Baja type vehicle. If they took out the moonroof in the current unit I MIGHT be able to fit. It is actually a very well thought of vehicle by those who fit.

John
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    John, you're preaching to choir here. I too love the Baja concept. I just fear that Subaru has given up on it, that's all.

Bob
  • ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    nooooo swamp owns the SHORT post .. *I* own the QUICK one!
    You got me, Brenda!

But the B9 Scrambler is still mine. LOL

-juice
    hey ...I thought we had a joint custody agreement on the Scrambler!!!

gotta watch juice .. <eagle eyes peeled>
    at the Portland car show.

http://www.subiegal.com/images/events/subaru_b9tribeca/b9tribeca.- htm

She indicated that the car seemed to be very well recieved by those attending the show, judging by the comments she overheard there.

Bob
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    just came back from RI auto show, everyone was full of praise about Tribeca. Didn't hear a single one talking about the grille.

2nd row is very good for 3 adults.

two things i notices that no one mentioned in this forum

2nd sliding row is two stage. 1st stage when people are in 3rd row. 2nd stage when no one is in 3rd clever. clever safety feature.

2nd row access is sort of curvy allowing easy access for passengers to get in & get out. Nice touch here.

3. Leather quality is top notch, comparable to europeons.
    2nd sliding row is two stage. 1st stage when people are in 3rd row. 2nd stage when no one is in 3rd clever. clever safety feature.

Good catch. I wasn't aware of that.

Also, you can only access the 3rd-row seating from curbside, again a safety feature.

Bob
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    The way the 2nd seat works -- it only moves 4 inches at a time, so it takes two "increments" to get it all the way back. They did it this way to prevent you from doing all 8 inches at once and potentially pinching someone's legs in the third row.

I am real interested to see how the seat works in the 5-passenger version. It would be nice to still have the 8 inches of travel, to choose between cargo room or leg room.

Craig
    So, the unit she saw had a VIN ending in 00012 (12th built) and the one I saw ended in 00047 (47th built). So, looks like they have built a bunch of Tribecas so far. I wonder how many pre-production models get built in all? I am surprised it is as many as 47, to be honest. I'm sure they must crash test a few.

Craig
    The way the 2nd seat works -- it only moves 4 inches at a time, so it takes two "increments" to get it all the way back. They did it this way to prevent you from doing all 8 inches at once and potentially pinching someone's legs in the third row.

Same thinking as in closing the moonroof on Subies.

I am real interested to see how the seat works in the 5-passenger version. It would be nice to still have the 8 inches of travel, to choose between cargo room or leg room.

Me too. I do hope they keep that feature on 5-passenger models, as I think accessing that cargo hold might be easier via the side doors, than from the rear hatch.

Bob
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Is it "definite" that Saab will be producing a 9-6X version of the Tribeca? Just curious. Obviously it'll be more expensive and probably not changed much inside.

at RI show, i asked about price. i was told base starts from low 30s & fully loaded at 38-39k.

I was also told that 5-seaters will be available limited.

I am impressed & i am buying one to replace my MPV by end of 2005
    i mean 5-seater will have limited availability
    http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2005/highlander/key_features/third- _row_access.html

HIghlander

1. has sliding 2nd row ? see pic

2. Headrests don't need removal.

3. 60/40 2nd row split.

Remember, In tribeca, 2nd row though split as 3 seats which can be folded. when sliding, it is only 60-40
    highlander tops at 39k

2005 HIGHLANDER Highlander 4-dr Limited 4x4 SUV w/ 3rd Row 5-Speed Automatic

Base Price:* $31,380

Delivery, Processing

& Handling Fee:** $565

Options: $5,210

Accessories: $1,979

Total MSRP:*** $39,134
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    While I completely realize that styling is subjective, I find the Highlander Limited's interior styling to be hideously ugly with too many themes. Ugly fake wood, ugly fake aluminum trim, black steering wheel and different color leather make for a busy and cheap looking enviornment. The HL Limited's is the one Toyota interior that I think is very unattractive. Bleh.

The Tribeca beats it hands down, theres not even a question where my $39K would go.

~alpha
    i completely agree. i will never even consider highlander for its interior.

I was just showing if highlander can command 39k msrp, why not Tribeca which is so much better is so many respects ?
    is rapidly becoming the high end of so-called mainstream cars. Yes, a number of Hondas, Toyotas, etc. are now in that price range.

Bob
    yes, this is exactly where subaru will win. they are playing this game just right.

They are positioning themselves between bread & butter and LUX automobiles. Look at Legacy & Outback, they are placed just right between the 2 categories. They are doing the same with Tribeca - it will be more expensive than Pilot & highlander but cheaper than MDX, RX & X5.

in RI show, i saw the MDX was priced at 45k. what a joke.
    Highlander's 3rd row does not split-fold. Tribeca's does.

Also, the 2nd row split in 2, while the Tribeca splits in 3, allowing for a center pass-through. Can't do that in the Toy.

And there isn't room for your feet under the 2nd row seat. So it's less comfortable back there.

Toyota doesn't provide free roadside assistance, Subaru gives you 3 years for free.

Four functional advantages for the Subie.

But beyond that, the Highlander feels basic, while the Subie feels more luxurious. IMO it's closer to the Lexus RX330 in design and overall feel.

-juice
    I am impressed & i am buying one to replace my MPV by end of 2005

just 39,999 to go to make quota
  • dalelynndalelynn Member Posts: 28
    I cabn't help but wonder what kind of gas mileage the Tribeca will get. Has anyone heard numbers?

Same thinking as in closing the moonroof on Subies.

my kinda car if the 3rd row passengers legs are going thru the moonroof :-)
    On the optimistic side we saw one estimate of 20/26.

At the other end of the spectrum I think one car mag estimated 18/24.

My guess is something inbetween. Maybe 19/24 or 19/25.

-juice
    tribeca when folds 2nd row, it only slides as 60/40 & not in 3 pieces
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Saw the Tribeca at the RI show. The general public was not allowed inside, but they had it roped off in such a way that you could open doors and peek around while standing just outside the ropes. Couplah random thoughts.

Exterior styling was exactly what I expected. Everyone will get something different out of a photograph, but, to my eye, the camera didn't lie.

Dashboard went from excellent to very good. The faux metal trim proved to be too much for my tastes. The interior is still impressive, though.

Marketing Rep was generally well-informed. The one I spoke with confirmed that the weights I'd been reading are for the loaded (or near loaded) vehicle. I had a nagging fear that the 4,200+ lbs I'd been seeing was in fact a base weight and that adding electronics and a 3rd row would increase it. The opposite is true. Eliminating features will drop the weight. Good news.

Cargo space is good. The folded second row left some fairly large gaps in the cargo floor, but I guess it's possible the seat was not pushed all the way back before folding (?) If it moves in 4" increments as described above, I'd have to say that was not the problem.

Marketing Rep said that pricing was still guess work, but they had it narrowed down a bit. I quoted $30-40K. He came back with $31-38 and change. He further stated that no trim level would hit $40K.
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Catching up here, but 0-60 in 8 seconds is better than I thought. I wonder if Subaru changed the gearing ratios on the 5EAT vs. the OB H6. Anyone know?

The photos Bob posted were actually quite nice. The shot from up above shows off the sloping roofline. I'm a sucker for that since my Legacy GT wagon has a similar roofline.

Anyone notice that the Tribeca rides on Goodyears? I thought Subaru used Bridgestone exlusively.

Ken
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    But... Toyota Highlander climate control works, and Subaru Tribeca's probably doesn't. Toyota seats are comfortable on long trips, Subaru's aren't. Toyota heated mirrors get so hot that you can see steam coming off, Subaru's are barely lukewarm. Toyota's gas tank is bigger. Toyota's OEM batteries are much more powerful than Subaru's. And... the Highlander will be offered as a hybrid with 28 MPG combined, just as the Tribeca hits the showrooms. Hmmmm... I don't see the Tribeca taking market share away from the Highlander.
    very unbiased opinion !

have you seen/felt/driven Tribeca ?
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    very unbiased opinion !

have you seen/felt/driven Tribeca ?

And we can say the same about your comments.

:)
    Although I disagree with your contentions, I respect them, and time will tell- when the vehicles are compared, the Tribeca goes on sale, etc.

For me, if a vehicles interior makes me vomit, I dont personally care how well the climate control works or how warm the heated mirrors become.

~alpha
    Krisshna: yes, however, the key function of the 40/20/40 is the center pass through, and that still works wonderfully.

Why does this matter?

Because I have two child safety seats nicely fastened. I can load long cargo without removing the child seats.

In a 60/40 split fold you cannot. You'd have to remove one of the kids seats. Never mind if there is a kid actually IN the seat, you'd have to remove and reinstall the safety seat even if there isn't!

Major inconvenience when you see how hard it is to fasten those seats securely.

varm: did Honda show the Ridgeline in RI? What did you think?

I thought HAL, the auto climate control computer, was tamed for the later models. New Forester owners haven't been complaining. We have to wait and see what the Tribeca gets.

I love my Forester's firm seats (98 Forester L), but I'll admit I do not really like my wife's spongy seats (02 Legacy L). But they're all different, we can't generalize like that and say they are all bad/all good. No way.

Ours differ radically. And the Tribeca's aren't like either one, they're sort of inbetween.

Subaru's heated mirrors work, that's the bottom line. Driving with Bob up to Philly in some nasty rain, the mirrors kept totally clear even from water.

Steam? Really? Sounds defective to me. Go get that checked out! ;-)

Gas tank size isn't the real issue, range is. Let's see what the highway mileage is first.

Highlander hybrid will MSRP for $42k or so with DVD/Nav/leather, and go ahead and get in line to pay full MSRP if you can get one this year at all. So pay about $5 grand more, street price, if you can even get one in the next 6 months (doubtful).

Steal market share? No, instead we'll see the segment continue to expand. People are buying fewer cars and getting these instead.

-juice
    I don't see how seeing it will change anything. No, I haven't driven the Tribeca, but I have owned two Subarus (a 96 Legacy and an 04 FXT) and many Toyotas / Lexi, and as far as well designed "features", the Subarus are still in the dark ages in comparison. Quantity of equipment does not necessarily equate to quality of the same. Even though I'm not in the market right now, but if I had a choice between a $38K Tribeca and a $42K Highlander Hybrid, the Highlander would win hands down.
    OK, then, but you're basing your ACC complaint on a system that was replaced. Don't you think Subaru would be using the better one from the '05 F-XT?

So that just doesn't apply at all.

Hybrids demand full MSRP, so that $4k difference would likely swell.

-juice
  • bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    That is some nasty troll deoderant...

Comparing a vehicle to one that hasn't even been tested is not worth conversing about.
    right, i never offered ride quality etc on highlander without driving one. merely comparing price.
    is the driving and handling qualities of the vehicles. From what the car mags are saying, the Tribeca drives pretty well (Legacy/Outback class of handling). So that is one factor where it will be very different from the Highlander (which drives like a minivan). Regardless of all the other factors, the Highlander immediately gets crossed off my list because of handling. Tribeca is still on the list, pending other unknowns.

Craig
    ok juice, u were going crazy on that msrp comparison. lets go with ur guessitmate on mileage numbers on trifecta versus hybrid highlander 28 combined. at 6-7k price diff ( highlander msrp versus trifecta close to invoice ) how many miles would i have to drive to make up that difference. figure $2 a gallon.
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    What's the 2005 OB H6 milage now? The Tribeca will probably be less due to weight and lower gearing (if that is the case).

Ken
    OB H6 (VDC Wagon) is rated 19/25

-Joe
    Highlander is smooth, isolated. That's fine, plenty of people want just that.

I do think that the driving experience of the Tribeca will be a lot different, much more involving, leaning more towards sport vs. isolation. Subaru promised that, and C&D and Motor Trend seem to agree.

In essence the character of the two will be significantly different.

With a pessimistic 18/24 mpg estimate, let's say that's 21 mpg combined.

That 7mpg savings will take you longer than the life of the battery pack to recover your investment. By that I mean you never will.

But I digress, hybrids aren't really about an economic advantage, it's about having tons of range, producing fewer emissions, and using less imported oil.

On those merits they're very appealing to me.

-juice
  • subewannabesubewannabe Member Posts: 403
    Swampy quoted Bob :"it only moves 4 inches at a time, so it takes two "increments" to get it all the way They did it this way to prevent you from doing all 8 inches at once" and observed that this explained the 3rd row passengers legs sticking out through the sunroof...

There is a whole new marketing angle SoA needs to exploit, here. Tribeca apparently offers something Honda Pilot owners only dream of!

;-) Mark
    Juice,

I was just pointing out that both Subarus that I had / have were nice and reliable cars, but both are an exercise in frustration when it comes to spending time inside of them. Every Toyota / Lexus that I had / have, are simply get in, start, and drive. The attention to detail that Subaru chooses to omit, is what makes it a second rate automobile, not a bad automobile, just not premium. After all, my FXT is a 2004, and you would think they would get things right, but still...(this is in addition to my previous list)

- no Retained Accessory power in a $25K car

- slow as molasses power windows

- retarded color of the gauge needles

- poor gauge cluster lighting

- zero sound insulation

- un-lighted visor mirrors

- no telescopic steering wheel

- no padded armrest

- useless sun shading strip on the windshield

- very poor drive-by-wire throttle calibration

- no traction / stability control even as an option

I can go on, but my point is, Subaru didn't take the TIME and EFFORT to address these and other DETAILS that would make this a truly awesome car. And it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to design things right - as a matter of fact some of these omissions can be fixed virtually at no cost, but it would certainly help Subaru present itself as a viable competitor to the established market leaders.
  • sdufordsduford Member Posts: 577
    Given that it is heavier, larger and taller then the VDC, and it has much bigger tires, I think it would have to be somewhat worst then the VDC's mileage.

Sly
    retarded color????

why do people insist on using that word ???