Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• ms121269ms121269 Member Posts: 9
    Today my wife canceled the B9 she ordered. She is kind of heart broken and I am a little too. After we looked at one very close and have been mentally logging how much stuff we usually carry for the last few weeks we came to the only conclusion, it is way too small for us, we are going with either an Odyssey or a Sienna. Not real big on a minivan but they are the most logical choice for our needs. We love the styling and wish we could have got one if it would have fit our needs. Hope everyone else enjoys theirs.
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    i might follow suit, we are in real dilemma between B9 & minivans. We don't want to consider any other SUVs, the only reason we are considering B9 is that it is a subaru.
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    the trifecta is just too small for my needs also. the sienna wallows on the mountain roads compared to the odyssey.

i believe i have no good options currently.
  • vip9vip9 Member Posts: 30
    I am a big fan of Subaru cars. In all, my family owned 4 different Subies, 2004 Forester is the latest on a list.
    It was with heavy heart that my wife and I made a decision in late 2000 to trade our beloved '96 Legacy for something bigger due to family considerations. If only Subaru had Tribeca then... :cry:

Anyway, aside from a few minor yet annoying problems, MDX ownership experience was OK, and its passenger/cargo hauling qualities are simply outstanding.

With new car purchase in mind in about 1 year, I finally got a chance to crawl all over B9 and here is my opinion, primarily a comparison with MDX

First impression seeing B9 parked outside a dealership :
    1. Fugly rear
    2. T I N Y!!!
    3. Front grill is actually not THAT bad, in my opinion a nice spot on otherwise less-than-eye-pleasing car

Second impression, exploring 7-seat limited in the dealership.
    1. Driver seat
    Comfortable. Can slide much farther back than in MDX - to the point where I was UNCOMFORTABLY far from the steering wheel. (I am 6'1" 200 lbs).
    Great-looking cockpit.
    Good visibility of the dashboard.
    More comfortable for right leg - knee can rest against the curvy dashboard.
    "Dead pedal" - there was a lot of whining in the MDX's early going about left-foot resting spot. B9 seems to be as inconvenient as that.
    Head room - I like to sit up high for better visibility... in MDX I have about a fist-sized "real estate"; in B9 - less than an inch.
    Armrest - for right elbow - a little too low.
    Visibility - Even sitting that high, I had difficulty seeing the front end. A-pillar and D-pillar - the WEIRDEST of designs takes away a lot!!! Side-view mirrors are small. Rear window is a JOKE!!!!

2. 2nd row. I could sit behind driver's seat with my knees TOUCHING the back of it. In the farthest position of the driver's seat I could not bring my knees together at all. In MDX, I sit in the back w/o touching the front seat. There is MUCH LESS hip/showlder room than in the MDX. I currently have 2 full-size car seats in the MDX and the third passenger (my wife) still has at least as much room as the front passenger. Access to the 3rd row is not blocked by the 2 car seats either.
    Also, MDX has FLAT floor, B9 has a drive-train protrusion. Less than average sedan, still about 3-4 inches.
    I love the ease to recline 2nd row. MDX has some reclining in the 2nd row, but not as convenient or as much.

3. 3rd row. A JOKE :( When I got in, I could not even close the 2nd row seat back in place. There is NO headroom at all - I had to bend my neck. Seat cushion is at least twice closer to the floor in B9. For comparison, although we do not use 3rd row in MDX often, occasionally I transport adults up to 6' for several hours w/o any complaints. Trunk room with 3rd seat up is about the same in both cars.
    Crash-worthiness of the 3rd seat in B9 remains to be seen, MDX boasts it can hold a 30 mph rear-end collision w/o compromizing 3rd row. I have been a part of a multi-car accident recently :cry: where another MDX got hit from behind by a Suburban going at least 20-25 mph - no problems

Trunk space in general - smaller than MDX due to Acura's height and width.

Overall impression: 5 years later, 2006 Tribeca offers virtually nothing new on 2001 MDX (stability control and head curtains). In comparison with 2005 MDX, where all that is standard for 3 years now.. :(

Warrantly is sub-par (3x36K b2b)

Fuel economy is worse than MDX

All in all, Subaru finally heard my cries and made a great vehicle for... 2001. For 2005/2006, even with the potential 4-5 K $$$ difference in price, there is really no comparison. Unless Honda screws up the new MDX rumored for the next model year, I cannot see going for Tribecs for my neeeds, tastes and desires.
    yeah, i agree. i found MDX much more spacious & confortable.

i think tribeca is great for 5 & that's it. it is problematic for 6 or 7. too tight. no cargo to spare, ridiculous.

yeah, ride quality is important, then what is the point of making a 7-seater when 7 can't be seated comfortably ?

As a 5-seater, i would prefer the outback. so, what's Tribeca for - sexy ! that's it i guess.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I just posted over in the "Suggestions for Subaru" thread a request for a long-wheelbase version of the Tribeca to also be offered. That vehicle would address this space issue many have mentioned.

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    wanted a little more HP than my base 2.5i can muster

Wish granted for 2006, with 173hp on the Forester and probably 173-175 for the Legacy and Outbacks as well.

ms121269: tough decision to make, but a wise one. Good luck with your van.

Sienna has an AWD option, that would be my pick. Even if I did want FWD, the Sienna's 8th seat is a whole lot better than the Ody's tiny insert.

vip9: On the 2nd row, did you hit the release handle and move it back to its 3rd position? It goes back another 4". Your knees should not touch the front seats, not even close actually.

Position 1 - all the way up
    Position 2 - goes 4" back
    Position 3 - goes 8" back, must hit the release button

In position 3 the 2nd row hits the 3rd row, so that row has zero legroom and cannot be used. But then the 2nd row has plenty of leg room.

-juice
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    i believe i have no good options currently.

Buy another F-XT and tow the Odyssey around. :D

DaveM
  • ms121269ms121269 Member Posts: 9
    I wish Subaru would make a longer Tribeca. I like that about a lot of the Ford and Chevy products they have short wheel base vehicles and extended wheel base options i.e. Tahoe vs. Suburban, Sport Van vs. Extended Van. The Tribeca is in no way a 6 or 7 person vehicle for more than a very short time and then only on small people and when all seats are used there is such little cargo space. It will be great for 5 people or less and the 2 rear seats only for have too use ever so often.
    I've said this before and I'll repeat it now, you must *drive* the Tribeca to understand its appeal. It corners flatter and tighter than the competition. You don't feel completely bored behind the wheel, it actually manages to be fun. Those wide tires offer plenty of grip and the center of gravity is nice and low.

These are things you can't tell by just sitting in it and crawling around, you have to drive it. These are its primary advantages so if you skip the test drive you're really missing out on what the Tribeca is all about.

C&D's comparison chart had the Subie offering the most lateral grip. They don't do a slalom but I think MT does and I bet when theirs comes out it beats the competition in that test as well. Only the Infiniti FX stands a chance, maybe the BMW X5 (maybe - it's heavy), but others being mentioned here just could not keep up.

Folks - watch that first video, that's our buddy Dave from Product Planning that we keep talking about. The Tribeca is his baby, he's The Man.

Watch the part where he moves the 2nd row back, and then back again. Note he has room to cross his legs. His kness are not even close to the front seat.

-juice
    Ateixeira,
    if you somehow manage to remove the 2nd row altogether, you will have the industry-best-ever 3rd row leg room. :P
    How do you figure $6K difference beween base MDX and 7-seat limited B9? Even with possible bargain-hunting and below-invoice discounts on B9, giving up 1 year of warranty, "LUXURY CARE" (some Acura customers actually claim to have experienced it! :) ), some other bells and wistles - I do not see it.

I posted a subjective opinion based on my needs and views. I did not get a chance to drive Tribeca as the dealer only had 1 in the showroom. At this point I do not think I would consider it even if it drives like Bentley and corners like Ferrari. I need room for kids and parents on 2+ hour trips to summer home, winter fun places and stuff.
    B9 might be a superb vehicle in a class of Murano, FX and X5, but for utility purposes I do not see it being anywhere close to MDX/Pilot.
    Yes, it is fun to drive for the driver. what about the other occupants ? what about space for their belongings ?

The rest (6 others) are squeezed & waiting to get out. so, fun to driver at what cost ?

Yes, tribeca is a great competitor to fxt, murano, highlander(5 seater), X5. it just doesn't cut it for 7-people(even with 2 kids). I am very disappointed that i may not buy Tribeca for lack of space (needed badly for family of 6-7). but i love everything else, my heart will break when i drop this from my list
  • imagesandwordsimagesandwords Member Posts: 26
    Its OK but I'm not sure why anyone would get one unless they were determined to get a Subaru. Its small, not very quick, can only tow 3500lbs, and has "interesting" looks. The third row is about the same as the one in the Highlander (useless) unless you move the second row, in which case the second row is cramped. Should have been about 3" wider and 8" longer from the start. It certainly drives better than my Sienna XLE AWD but so do alot of others.

I wish Subaru would have just released a minivan. Still like our 2k Outback Limited and when it time to get a new car it would be nice to have other options.
    LOL! Good idea! :o)

I loaded up the two, perhaps to feed my fantasy of having one with DVD and Nav, and the Soob came out to $38k while the MDX hit $44k.

I'm sure the price different varies depending upon the equipment levels.

Subaru gives you 3 years of roadside assistance and 5/60 on the powertrain warranty. I'm not sure if they can match Acura in the warranty/perks package, but they are way ahead of Honda.

If it drives like a Bentley and corners like a Ferrari, I'd own two. I guess we have different priorities. :-)

-juice
  • photoguy2photoguy2 Member Posts: 164
    What Video?
    Gotta disagree there.

It is a royal palace for 4 people at least. The front passenger has their own climate control setting and so do the rear. The front passenger seat is also heated.

The folks in the back can enjoy a movie on a 9" screen, while occupants in competing vehicles must squint to see the tiny 7" screen at best, since no other SUV can match that size.

We drove for 90 minutes in Vally Forge, front, back, driver, passenger, I didn't want to get out at all, from any position.

Ok, we didn't crawl into the 3rd row. ;-)

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I agree, as I too was on tha Ride & Drive at Valley Forge. The front and second row seats are very comfortable, and have plenty of room. Now the 3rd row, well...

Bob
    you don;t buy a car for 9in dvd. i can buy the same panasonic 9in dvd for 750$ at circuit city
    It's a combination of the seat comfort, versatility of a 40/20/40 split, big arm rest, nice leather, huge windows for a nice view, seperate climate controls, and yes, the DVD. The 2nd row seat is a paradise. My kids would most certainly love it.

-juice
  • newsubunewsubu Member Posts: 39
    I decided to go with a portable DVD, instead of dropping another 1800 for Subaru's. Plus we can use it in the kid's room, the cabin, etc. Is there a good DVD player that can be solidly "afixed" temporarily within the Tribeca? I just reviewed C.C.'s offerings, and found a 9" screen for under $400, but wonder how it can be "mounted" so it doesn't go flying on dirt roads and turns.
    I'm not sure, try on top of the center armrest, if it'll squeeze between the two front seats. You might give up the arm rest, though.

Get a kit with headphones, so you can enjoy your music while the tots watch their movie.

Tribeca does give you two power points, so you can power the DVD player and still charge your cell phone or use your V1.

-juice
  • WMartonWMarton Member Posts: 58
    Yes, but would your kids' FRIENDS love it? Or grandparents? If you are going to go on a 200 mile trip with three adults and two kids, it will be challenging. So I think that people have identified a problem with the Tribeca...it's a decent competitor for the Muranos, Lexi, and other 4-5 seaters, but it comes up short compared to vehicles that can more comfortably carry more folks and cargo. This vehicle is evolutionary, not revolutionary. Given that Toyota and Honda have redesigns of the Highlander and Pilot/MDX waiting in the wings, I am very worried that Subaru didn't stretch the platform by an additional 3"-5" to better accomodate people and cargo. It's almost as if Subaru is hanging their hat exclusively on the handling/performance factor to sell the Tribeca (hence all of the emphasis on outperforming the X5). All of the performance in the world won't help if it doesn't meet the size and cargo carrying capacity needs of the public. I think that Subaru really could have cut into the minivan market--a market in which they currently have NO vehicle--if they had added a few inches to the dimensions of the Tribeca.

Bill
  • bman33bman33 Member Posts: 85
    I would agree that the Tribeca is not a practical 7 seater. My brother owns a 2004 Suburban, and even that vehicle is difficult to get into the third row. In all honesty, the Tribeca is a 5 passenger with room for two children in the third row. Nowadays, how many people have 7 members in their household?

As for the MDX, I would argue that it looks like a cookie cutter SUV; the fuel economy is comparable to the Tribeca; the handling is less responsive and there is no VDC - AND it is atleast $6000 more comparably equipped. Don't fall for the Acura "luxury" marketing gimmick...buy a Pilot that is built on the same assembly line as the MDX if you are looking at a Honda product.
  • subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    Purchasing an auto is muck like buy a piece of art. Buy it because it gives what you like and makes you feel good.

Some people eat to live other love to eat. We do the same thing we just approach it differently. I ordered a Tribeca because I LOVE TO DRIVE, just like I LOVE TO EAT! There are few things more fun than a great meal and there is nothing better than driving a vehicle that is extremely capable - and for the use I intend to put my B9 to (mainly urban driving in the snow belt) there is nothing close except maybe an FX or X5 at 10 to 15 K more. And they are much too common lately. With the B9 you can take tight turns at speed and execute emergency manuvers without putting it on its side.

So, for those who are DRIVERS try the Tribeca - if you just drive you may not appreciate what the B9 is all about.

Happy Shopping
    For the occasional use that I'd need, it really doesn't matter a whole lot. They'd fit, and I'm not taking them far, just a car pool home from pre-school or something.

If you have to buy a vehicle that meets every single possible need you might ever have, well, that's how people end up in Escalade ESVs. LOL

If you truly need to seat more than 5 people routinely, a minivan will serve you better than a Tribeca (or an MDX for that matter). But then I'd argue you are merely the one behind the wheel of the bus and not really driving for enjoyment.

I personally didn't think the MDX's 3rd row was significatly better. Lemme see if I can find a pic.

Ask yourself this - how often will you be driving alone, or below full capacity? Probably most of the time. For some folks, ALL of the time.

Subaru isn't trying to win every single sale, fact is Pilot will outsell the Tribeca 3 to 1, and the Tribeca would still be successful. Nice to have choices.

-juice
    Note my knees are splayed outward due to the high floor. That is not a comfortable place for an adult to spend more than a few minutes. I'm 6' but my inseam is just 30", which is only about average size.

I'm telling you, if that matters get a van. An Odyssey is like a limo compared to this.

-juice
  • WMartonWMarton Member Posts: 58
    It's not that there are many seven person housholds nowadays...it's that families are constantly taking their two kids + the neighbors kids + the neighbors' friends kids places. I never appreciated my neighbors' minivans and SUVs until I had to take 3-4 kids in my Outback VDC. The Outback is fairly narrow and doesn't handle five comfortably. If I only had to deal with four passengers, I would be quite happy with it and probably with a Tribeca as well.

Bill
    Bman,
    looks are subjective. I did not say that I did not like B9 because ot its looks.
    You cannot compare 2 cars and say they are "the same" just because they have Nav or rear dvd. Fully-loaded MDX touring with all that stuff may be 6-7K more than Tribeca, but it also offers other things which Subaru folks don't even know who to spell :)
    Acura does not have VDC, it has VSC. IMO, Acura's 4-wheel-drive is less capable that Subaru's - based on 1-st hand experiece. But it is still good enough.

As far as MDX - Pilot, I agree, a few bells and whistles and extra 20 hp do not merit a price difference. But add leather seats, "luxury marketing gimmick", and, most importantly, the fact that I can afford it... and the question is WHY NOT?

If it was not for the fact that 2001 was the first year MDX was out with all its little problems, and that it required premium gasoline (ouch $$$$$) I would say that for my needs and tastes it was and still is the perfect car.

I think Subaru made a mistake by adding those 2 laughable extra seats to the current design of B9 instead of putting some technological features to truly compete with x5/fx/murano.
  • junior5junior5 Member Posts: 15
    Like probably most of us here I have been looking for a vehicle with a proven all wheel drive system , SUV driving height, all available safety features and the cargo capacity and utility to provide for a nuclear family of 2+2 (face it who wants to bring along their in-laws or whiny kid's friends while driving - I never fancied myself as a bus driver.) My search is more personal after having a "near death" experience when I was nearly rammed at the driver's side while driving a camry that had no head curtain or side impact airbags-- hence the need to replace said camry soon..

Let's face it, we want the subies because of the overall driving package. These subies are never known for their styling, snob appeal, or luxury amenities but instead are known for excellent handling dynamics, durability and all the safety features that your money could afford. Subaru earned my respect from the start when they did not make any practical safety feature "optional" like other manufacturers.

The Tribeca, in my opinion, does not stray too far from these core subie 'values' even though it is stretching the limits of the value spectrum. Those who want the cargo or seating capacity of a minivan will never find it in this vehicle -- that is already a given and you guys must move on. There are however those among us ( me included) that are hoping that the handling and driving experience of this vehicle will offset the lack of a 90 cubic foot cargo capacity and the absence of a comfortable third row seat. Again, if you need to haul cargo regularly or really need 7 seater capacity - move on to a minivan. There will simply have to be a compromise which is what I have accepted having driven my wife's 03 Forester for the past 2 years. Yes, it has poor second row seating space and may be noisy at highway speeds. But it still has adequate cargo space for the occasional visits to IKEA, provides excellent visibility and on road illumination at night, has five star crash test ratings and is yes, even fun to drive.

Hence looking at the Tribeca at this point, there will indeed be some compromise but if you really want the handling and stability that subaru always seems to provide, together with no compromises on safety features, useful cargo capacity that does not make a vehicle too bulky or top heavy, with the reliability and quality of a subaru then I think the Tribeca fits the bill.
    I wonder how often people really use them. I have two friends that have them and neither one has ever used it, even though they tout it as an advantage.

One of them has an Avaiator, he even removed the 3rd row seat because it gets him more cargo space some how. So it's taking up space in his garage.

The other got a Highlander just recently and hasn't used it yet. Funny thing is she has just one kid!

I think often buyers fantasize about everybody wanting to ride with them, but I wonder how often that will really be.

For occasional use, I'd pick the fun-to-drove and handling and sacrifice the space, no doubt about it. If I end up never using it, that made the choice even better than a mininvan or a bigger SUV.

-juice
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    One of them has an Avaiator, he even removed the 3rd row seat because it gets him more cargo space some how. So it's taking up space in his garage.

I knew I'd be driving my '99 minivan forever so I threw away my middle row seats when the van was five months old. So it's a 5 seater and I haven't missed the extra seats yet (the 3rd row slides up and usually lives mid-ship).

But there aren't any kids in our equation.

As far as aftermarket DVDs, you can get kits that tie them down in various ways. Best not to have loose stuff in the cabin that'll become a flying projectile in a panic stop.

Steve, Host
  • kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    Does anyone have a picture of the under-cargo area storage on both the 5-pass and the 7-pass? I have read many comments that the storage on the 5-pass (in lieu of 3rd row) is cramped. I'd love to see both side-by-side and compare.

-Karen in AZ- :shades:
    Steve - you should remove all rows and have the world's roomiest 2 seater. :o)

Someone in the Sedona thread paid $15.8k for their van. Buy a 5 seat cloth Tribeca and that van instead of an ML350 and call it good. LOL

Karen - I have half of what you want. The 7 seater's.

-juice
  • kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    Thx, Juice!!!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    remove all rows

I've done that a few times too, but like removing the back seat bottom in my Outback, it takes wrenches for that last row.

Here's a UK review from Auto Express.

"This is not an SUV that lumbers from corner to corner with huge amounts of body roll and lifeless steering. Instead, the chassis remains composed, and it is closer in feel to an X5 than an XC90. The traditional Subaru driving spirit definitely shines through."

Steve, Host
    if you have less than 5 people at home, you are less likely to use.

if you have more than 5 people at home like mine, i will use them often. so, there is no guessing of how many times will i use.
  • bman33bman33 Member Posts: 85
    +1 for junior5's comments.

We ordered a 5 seater Ltd. Anyone comparing the Tribeca to a minivan is misguided. A stretch version of the Tribeca? How about the Subaru Excursion? LOL.

I should mention that we would not have bought a Subaru if not for the Tribeca. We looked at the Outback and it did not measure up in terms of interior quality or exterior style. We test drove an Outback w/ the H6 motor and I liked the handling, acceleration, etc. Subaru's are definitely driver's cars.

I think the Tribeca is an excellent value. In my book, the price is what pushed it ahead of the Infiniti, Lexus, Volvo and Acura. Use Edmunds comparison tool and see for yourself.
  • tytnsfan1tytnsfan1 Member Posts: 44
    I agree with you wholeheartedly!!! Some people like comparing apples to oranges. Then they know they made the right choice. If you need a minivan or Excursion, buy a minivan or Excursion already!!!! Like someone else mentioned though the Freestyle should have pretty much room as it is 10 inches longer than either an Explorer or the Tribeca. I know, I know, oogh a Ford, yuck. My 97 Explorer has over 104,000 miles and only maintenance type repairs done so far. My husband has an 99 F250 diesel with probably in the neighborhood of 200,000 miles and same thing only maintenance stuff. Of course for a diesel that is only half the life expectancy hopefully! ;)
    You need a van, then. Don't deny it. ;-)

A Pilot comes close but it's still cumbersome to flip and fold that 2nd row all the time.

I like the Mazda MPV because you can slide the seat out of the way even while there is a child in that seat. No other van can do that, you have to tilt or remove the seats completely.

Consider an MPV. They offer AWD in Japan but sadly not here. :(

-juice
  • greyhoundgreyhound Member Posts: 10
    People - if you want to carry mom, dad, kids in car seats, mothers-in-law, kitchen sinks, tow a boat, etc., etc. a vehicle the size of a B9 ain't gonna make it. In this bounteous automotive marketplace we are experiencing, you can choose from the Suburban, Excursion, Durango, Armada, Land Cruiser and so on if that's what you need or want. A little dinky manufacturer like Subaru has to marshall its resources and pick where it wants to compete. In its "infinite wisdom," Subaru made the decision to target the B9 at near-lux sports crossovers like the X5, RX330, FX-35 instead of family workhorses like the Pilot or behemoths like the Suburban. I for one think they picked the right size. Think about it...the performance and handling of a BMW X5 with the quality and cost of a Subaru. Sounds good to me.
    yeah,. i have an MPV now. the ride is tooooooooooo stiff. i don;t like 2 seater 2nd row. tribeca is better on this.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    subie, put those 16" wheels on your MPV.

World of difference.

John
  • x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    All this talk of the 3rd row seat being short on leg room. I dont really need and prefer to have the cargo space and the agile ride of the Tribeca. Shame they don't offer NAV with the 5 passenger limited with leather so I am forced to get the 7 passenger I dont need just for NAV.

I figured it couldn't hurt to have it but now i'm worried even folded down it will just take up room i could use for cargo.

Also my preorder is delayed because they didn't find out about the puddle light option until mine was already on its way and I definately wanted that cool albeit it mostly cosmetic option.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Keep in mind that the 3rd row is a selling feature at trade in time. Terry over at RWTIV always asks if there is a 3rd row.

You may not use it, but people want it, just in case.
  • bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    Did I miss that? Is that by the inside door panel or side mirror?
  • capreciaccapreciac Member Posts: 12
    I was told by a dealer that the B9 was crash tested, but the results were not in yet. Does anybody know who did the testing and when the results may be out?
  • eric102eric102 Member Posts: 122
    My F250 diesel is probably more typical of Ford quality than your husbands. 2 sets of head gaskets, a number of oil leaks on the engine and transmission, one fuel injector pump and three alternators in 190,000 miles. Plus the paint started peeling off at 4 years, quality is not job #1 at Ford. No Freestyles for me, the B9 looks pretty good.
  • subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    The puddle lights are mounted on the rocker panels below each of the 4 doors.

They emit a blue flourescent type of light - probably from LEDs. They are not overly bright but will illuminate the ground by each door when opened.