Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    X5killer - I think the puddle-lights are a must-have option, too, unless the only place you get in or out of your vehicle is in a garage. Maybe a little over-the-top making them blue, but what the heck.

karen - the 7-pass and 5-pass under-floor storage areas are shown side-by-side at the bottom of this webpage: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/tribeca/tribeca2006photos2.html
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    Subaru has always been a niche player and the B9 is one also, if you really need 7 seats and space regularly , get a minivan or large SUV, if you need it occassionally, the B9 is great. I have 2 minivans already but sometimes just driving the Legacy or WRX is not enough ( I got 5 kids!) and the B9 (or something like an XC90) is perfect. MDX/Highlander are really another size up.
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    OK, folks after arguing about space problem in B9. I went and checked the b9 thoroughly. we have 4 adults & 2 small kids. b9 is just fine. white pearl looks gorgeous !!!!

Definetely, in person it loooks better. it does have very emotional appeal. my wife & i criticize it but when we look it, we both melt away.

one problem, 3rd row seats for kids too low for them to see outside thru those mini windows.

but i ain't driving a school bus 9(no oddy/sienna)
  • imagesandwordsimagesandwords Member Posts: 26
    Depends mostly on your expectations. I was expecting it to be a "real" 7-passenger but I knew once it was more SUV than minivan it was going to be a 4 + 2 vehicle. Space aside, the other issue I have the middling performance for a sporty cross over. I dont know its published performance numbers but having driven one there is no way its any faster than the Sienna/Ody. I really think that Subaru wasted a ton of money developing the H6. Its has impressive hp numbers but its been anemic in both applications this far either because of the power band or because the numbers are inflated. They need to add a turbo to help it out or ditch it and start over with a larger displacement motor.

It certainly does have better driving dynamics than my Sienna but then again it should because my Sienna AWD is a 4700lb box on wheels. The Tribeca a decent vehicle but its not going to attarct many new customers. In my opinion it managed to capture the worst of both worlds, much like the Pacifica.

I suspect one should be able to get a loaded 7-passenger for DVD and NAV at $35k before long or about the same street price as a loaded Highlander with DVD/NAV.
  • kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    Anyone have any experience with dealers quoting you a hidden $275 for their "advertising fee" when there's no ads out yet? One dealer told me Subaru requires this fee on all new cars.

-Karen in AZ- :shades:
  • subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    TOTALLY NOT TRUE
  • popa_sezpopa_sez Member Posts: 16
    Don't be surprised if a dealer tries to take you to the cleaners. They really prey on weak people. I can tell you that there is no honest dealers out there any where. I never could understand people that can lie to your face, but these dealers will do it to make as much off of you as possible. I understand that everyone has to make a living, but dealers can't tell you the truth or they will not get that extra 1000.00 or so dollars out of you. I figure they make about 5000.00 to 8000.00 off of every deal. That is just the way it is. They do have a lot of overhead expenses, but make no bones about it, they are not your friends. Anyway, I have two things to put out. First is the air pressure monitoring system on my Tribe is blinking. The owners manual says to have it serviced. I did put the correct amount of air pressure in my tires. The blinking stopped on the indicator, but after another 50 miles it started again. I will have to have it serviced. The second thing that I wanted to mention was someone said in a post that the navigation was not able to take street address.' with numbers vice letters. That is not true there is a selection on the street address for others and symbols. You have to push symbols to get the navigations to change from letters to numbers. Once you do that you can put your numbered street address in and off you go. I hope this clears up any confusion that someone might have had. Take care and happy driving.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Some ad fees are legit. If you focus on your out the door price, you can avoid having to worry about the line items, like ad and doc fees.

Steve, Host
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Anyone have any experience with dealers quoting you a hidden $275 for their "advertising fee" when there's no ads out yet? One dealer told me Subaru requires this fee on all new cars.

There is a legitimate advertising fee added to the dealer invoice (at least in the Penn Jersey region). Not sure of the amount for the Tribeca but it was $125 for my '03 Outback in August 2002.

DaveM
    I understand that everyone has to make a living, but dealers can't tell you the truth or they will not get that extra 1000.00 or so dollars out of you. I figure they make about 5000.00 to 8000.00 off of every deal.

Assuming your figures are in US dollars, you are way off.

For example:
    - The top of the line Tribeca has a MSRP of $38,320, and an invoice of $35,411 for a difference of approx. $2900 (maybe less if an advertising fee is added to the dealer invoice).
    - I believe the holdback on Subaru's is 2% of MSRP (less destination). So in the above case the holdback would be 38,320 - 695 dest = 37,695 * 2% = $754
    - IF the dealer sells this example at MSRP, their total gross profit is $3654.

$3654 is no where near $5000 to $8000 and it is a rare day that a Subaru sells for MSRP.

Dealer's make their money on extended warranties, financing, used car sales, service, etc.

DaveM
  • bigfrank3bigfrank3 Member Posts: 426
    Hi Karen. I can speak for how things are in MA. There are legitimate ad fees that are part of the dealer's invoice. They should never show up on a "retail" price. I have known some dealers that try to do that, and "double count". :mad:

When we have an ad on TV, radio, or in the paper, etc., that says,"Brought to you by your New England Subaru Dealer", the ad is paid for by the fund created by the fees-per-car charged to the dealer, and ultimately the consumer.

The dealer's invoice price consists of the price of the car from Subaru, the ad fees, shipping, and a full tank of gas. That is true invoice that the dealer pays.

Here in New England there is also sometimes a "Regional Price Adjustment" on the invoice, because our Subarus come through SoNE.

I suspect that things are similar out your way. Ask them to show you an invoice.

Frank
    Went to the B9 introduction party at my dealer today. Besides eating sandwiches, I finally got to sit in and drive a B9. Bigelm, juice, and others, you were correct in that I fit very well, lots of leg and head room. I also like the width, and even the "cheap" seat was comfortable.

I actually climbed into the back seat right behind my wife, who is 5'10", and I had enough leg room with my seat in the rear most position... not that I would ever ride there. The vehicle seems like it would be very comfortable for 4 full sized adults.

We drove a 5 pass. base, black. I thought it looked a bit too plain, but it was the base. I found it sprightly, and handled well. Heavy on-center feel. My long-time salesman encouraged me to push it a bit. Sure, no problem. Left the shifter in "sport". The engine never felt strained with the 3 of us, all above average in size. The gearing felt like a good match to the powerband. The suspension firm but handled bumps well. Nice job Subaru. Nice car to "drive".

I am sure I would like the grey interior better than the tan in this vehicle. I think it would better match the silver-to-grey on the dash, and the grey floor covering. I admit to not being a big tan fan anyway though, black would be nice. We are used to Forester moonroofs so this one seemed really tiny. My wife calls them "moonroofettes", as on the Highlander she almost bought. Back window is silly.

We are the opposite of most of you folks in that it is just the 2 of us. Once in a while the grandson, or maybe another couple with us, but most of the time 1 maybe both of us. Anything behind the front seat we consider "utility", mostly. I think the Tribeca is the perfect size for us, almost like a grown-up Forester. One of us will probably buy one on the next go-round, AFTER the NE prices calm down. They are still trying to get invoice.

I asked the manager what kind of interest there has been from non-Subaru owners. He said some, but the implication was that it is "us" who are doing the looking. I think someone predicted that, way, way back.

This "party" was simultaneous at all NE dealers today, and was heavily advertised on TV. While I was there the place was almost empty, only 1 other couple. There WERE sandwiches missing so someone had been there, or the sales folks were hungry.

My take is that locally they are not breaking down the doors to look at the vehicle, let alone buy 1 at "list". Maybe this foolish price structure will change soon, as juice said. Maybe then we will buy 1, we DO like the vehicle.

With my wife having just bought her Bean Forester for more than 2K below invoice, she would have had to pony up another 12K or so for the B9. Is it worth it? Not to us. In round numbers that is 50% more! We cross-shop differently than most of this group.

Interesting side note: They said that Subaru was finally able to use Goodyear Eagles on a vehicle, only due to the affiliation with GM. Apparently GM has some sort of exclusive contract with Goodyear for something. I told him that while they were good tires, I wasn't so sure they were the best choice for our winters. He said with the VDC it won't matter. He also said being 8" wide will help. :surprise: I didn't bother to explain the "snowshoe" principle.

Frank
  • tracikaytracikay Member Posts: 12
    Just wanted to let everyone know that placed a preorder, sometimes the wait is not too bad.

We preordered ours on May 6th, and this past week were were told it would arrive the week of June 13th. Got a call around lunch today (June 11) saying ours was in!

We went to the dealership, drove it (2nd tribeca test drive), loved it still, brought it home.

4 weeks isnt bad, we were expecting late June or July.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    ...distributor invoice charge is $533 plus $30 destination surcharge. Wow!!
    I have loved my ‘05 OB for just over a year now, BUT yesterday I took the plunge and ordered a 'beca for $500 over invoice. This is the same deal that I had on my '99 Forester back in October of '98. I opted for the 7-pass for a couple of reasons, mostly because my parents (frequent passengers, along w/95-year-old grandma) pointed out the separate AC controls in the back seat. That’s a very big deal out here in the AZ desert. That also allowed me get the gray leather that I wanted with the Atlantic Blue exterior :-) I’m hoping the resale will be better on it because of the extra seating.

I ordered a lot of the same stuff that came on my ‘05 OB, and then some: the compass/mirror, rear bumper cover, shock sensor, cargo net and cover, puddle lights (good for the older folks who ride with me), and the crossbars (cool how the rails are recessed into the roof, and only the bars actually protrude above the roof line). I opted for the bigger 5-pass cargo tray, since the 3rd row will rarely be up, and I haul a lot of equipment from school to school (I’m a traveling band teacher).

BTW, my calculations were actually within about $50 of what they came up with (OK, I’m a math nerd, too)...pretty close, considering there have been a few minor pricing changes in the past few months before the actual release of these vehicles. The quoted me 6-8 weeks, but (off the record) said it would likely be less. The Forester took 4 weeks to the day, and it came all the way from Japan, so that’s encouraging.

My dilemma now is whether or not I really want the Nav (I DO, but I don’t NEED it!). It the invoice is about $1800 (they are checking the exact figure for me). I have always been a map nut, and I know I’ll play with it all the time. I have until Monday noon before they’ll fax the order in, and then I can’t make any changes. Any thoughts?

Now if they can only figure out how to get it to make coffee and teach my classes for me ;)

BTW: Frank, I was just thinking the other day how this car seemed like a grown up Forester!
    Congrats - Enjoy the heck out of it.

What part of the country do you live?
    What part of the country do you live?

That’s a very big deal out here in the AZ desert.

Based on her post, I think she lives in Maine. :D

You better grap a couple cups of coffee. :P
  • bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    Well, my voice will be heard. As of today the dealer still knows nothing about our order. So I made a stink about it, contacted Subaru and they're looking into it. We're moving next week and my wife needs to drive. Supposely I should know by Monday where our B9 is or if it even exist. Otherwise our options will be looked at again. Even the Envoy XL Denali is looking really good also, especially their employee discount offer.
    Time is running out for Subaru!
    You better grap a couple cups of coffee.

Try Atlanta. :-)

tracikay, "Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)" #3016, 21 May 2005 2:42 pm

Steve, Host
    (I had one cuppa about 20 minutes ago, lol)
  • bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    Try Atlanta. :-)

That's another option I'm looking into.
    I'm back on the fence!
    :frustrated in NJ:
    lol, this is turning into an Abbott and Costello routine.

The what part of the county question was directed at Tracikay, not Karen, another new owner.

But what the hey, why not try Atlanta?

Steve, Host
    The what part of the county question was directed at Tracikay, not Kate, another new owner.

Oops, sorry about that subienewbie. I guess I better grab a cup of coffee. :blush:

BTW steve_, it's Karen, not Kate. :P

DaveM
    I don't know what you are talking about.

(isn't it nice that you can edit your post for 30 minutes after posting?) :shades:

Steve, Host
    Bigelm, sorry to hear about your missing B9. I remember your excitement when you made up your mind. I hope it all works out for you. I bet they find you one. Even a B9 of a different color would be better than the Envoy.

Maybe they gave you too good of a price and are choking on it. :sick:

Frank
  • capreciaccapreciac Member Posts: 12
    When you wrote "list", did you mean MSRP or invoice? Your wife bought her Forester for 2K below invoice or MSRP? Thanks
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    (isn't it nice that you can edit your post for 30 minutes after posting?)

Why the 30 minute limit? Frankly I think the time should be extended. I can't tell you how many times I have come back, at say 35 minutes, to make a change on posts, and have not been able to do so. I think the time should be unlimited. If that's not possible, make it at least 1 hour, if not longer.

Bob
    I just sent you (and the others) a reply to your recent e-mail, and they all got returned as being undeliverable? What's up with that???

Bob
    Back when the edit time limit was longer, people would cast out a troll post, and then after responses started coming in, the poster would change the parent and deny making the remarks (like my Karen/Kate flub, but intentional). 30 minutes is long enough for review and corrections.

Don't know why your email didn't get through; I got mail yesterday and today (need a cheap mortgage or some pills?). Please try again.

Steve, Host
    30 minutes is long enough for review and corrections.

Not for me it isn't. I often have new thoughts and or refinements to my posts long after I post them. Heck, 45 minutes or an hour would be much better than 30 minutes.

Bob
    I'm a newbie - and there are times when I log in and read a message that references a previous message. How do I know what message the reply is referencing and how do I go to it so I can read it in order to understand the context of the remark?

Thanks in advance
    iirc, the edit window was set at one hour at one time, but it was abused, so it was shortened. Feel free to use that contact us link. We did get your email just now too, and Sylvia is replying.

Steve, Host
    The forums are being tweaked to add gray breadcrumbs within each post so that you can follow individual threads easier. In fact, they were working last week but had to be pulled and fixed. They should be back soon. More over in Forums Software! Your Questions Answered....

Enough housekeeping - anyone test driving a B9 today?

Steve, Host
    At least they both start with "A" :-)
    List = MSRP

Wife's Bean, below invoice. The 2K+ includes the $1500 rebate.

Frank
    Given only 60 out of a possible 100 points. Updated 6-10-05. Disappointing review :cry:

Consumer Guide Road Test

-Karen in AZ-
    Seems pretty accurate to me. What they were critcal of are the same things that have been mentioned here and elsewhere many times.

Bob
  • wvroadswvroads Member Posts: 23
    My wife and I just had our second test drive yesterday in the 5 seat limited, and the dealer has the color we want (silver) in stock with the puddle lights and rear bumper cover, but no auto dim mirror option. I installed one in my 2000 OB (with compass and temp)and we really like it. I was told by the dealer that the Tribeca is prewired for all options which would make this an easy update when they can get the mirror in. Does anyone have any more information about installing the mirror later on? I really don't want to tear into a new vehicle to run wiring. They are saying mid July for all optional parts to be available - we also want the front bumper guard and the cargo nets/covers. Has anyone had any success in getting other dealer added options that were not on the vehicle when delivered?

Thanks
  • photoguy2photoguy2 Member Posts: 164
    My guess is it is an easy upgrade after purchase based on the fact that I've seen it listed as an accessory.
  • photoguy2photoguy2 Member Posts: 164
    Another way to look at it is that it compared similarly to other vehicles in it's class. For me the bottom line is that I'm 6' 6" tall and I fit wonderfully well in the B9. I will pick mine up next Friday. Limited 7 with NAV/DVD oh and the puddle lights! Had to add that due to the recent posts about them. I could care less but they were on the vehicle on the lot I wanted.

I'm coming out of a Saab and wanted a "crossover" vehicle and drove a bunch... Hands down for the my money I felt most comfortable with this vehicle over any of the rest. Would an X5 be nice and give me a feeling of "cool" sure... but I'm coming out of a Saab! I don't need cool although in all honesty I think the B9 is!

I have a buddy that loves his last 3 outbacks and convinced me to try the Subaru experience. Looking forward to it.

Oh and one last thing... Reviews are just that an opinion of one person... take them for what they are worth and don't get overly concerned about them. I do professional crituques of nature photography and I always remind the audience that I am just one person with one opinion. I am sure someone will disagree and they do. So take the B9 for a drive for it needs to be driven to be appreciated. Is it a bit sluggish compared to my turbo charged Saab I'm coming out of, yup. Is it horrible? NO! A very fun vehicle to drive. Again I'm looking forward to it.
    http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-2003-Subaru-B11S-Concept.htm

Length:
    4785 mm = 188.4" (B9 Tribeca = 189.8")

Width:
    1935 mm = 76.2" (B9 Tribeca = 73.9")

Height:
    1370 mm = 53.9" (B9 Tribeca = 66.4")

Wheelbase:
    2800 mm = 110.2" (B9 Tribeca = 108.2")

It's interesting to note that the Tribeca is narrower and has a shorter wheelbase than the B11S, but is a tad longer. Why did Subaru not make the Tribeca as wide as the B11S, or give it as long a wheelbase as the B11S? Surely the increased with and increased wheelbase would have benefited the Tribeca immeasurably.

One also has to wonder if there is a still larger vehicle yet to come than the B9 Tribeca, bearing a B11 name tag (and measurements)?

Bob
  • hilihili Member Posts: 7
    Drove the Tribeca with an eye to buying it on the spot. Great car (7 pass Ltd w/all the gadgets). Only one major problem with it - the passenger seat is only 4 way electric, not 8 way like the driver's seat. My wife couldn't adjust it to be comfortable - that's a turnoff for both of us! She hated it and I don't want to listen to her griping for the years I'd own it. $37,000 for the Tribeca and they 're too cheap to make 8 way (or more) both front seats. Seems it's the same problem with the Outback and other Subarus. Smart cars - dumb designers!

One possible alternative - Might it be possible to convert the driver's seat electrics to also fit the passenger seat?? Maybe the dealer's people could do it?
    When ordering the new B9, I asked about the incentive gift offers which expired last month. My dealer told me that after I take possession, I will receive a form for a free sat radio, but no other freebies were being offered. Anyone else heard of this?

-Karen in AZ - :shades:
    Has anyone heard if Subaru will offer the free service coupons for the Tribeca? These were the ones that OB owners may have received last summer for the regular service for every 7500 miles up to the end of the regular warranty.

-Karen in AZ - :shades:
  • wvroadswvroads Member Posts: 23
    Am I right in remembering only the two (up front) 12 volt accessory outlets that are located inside the console? I will be using a Garmin GPS unit as well as a radar detector at times. I suppose I will have to wire a 12 volt switched accessory power outlet or lead up to the dash area. Has anyone who now owns a Tribeca dealt with this issue yet? Any suggestions?
    There are four total 12V outlets: 2 in the front arm rest/console, one behind the second row of seats (or, in the third row of seating, if you opt for that), and one in the very back of the cargo area. This is the same on the 5-pass as on the 7-pass, as I recall (brochure says so, too). You might check your warranty to see if hacking voids anything. I suppose you could run a 12V extension cord/adapter around the console and up the driver's side of the dash for your fuzz buster so that you wouldn't have to hack the wiring.

While I'm asking questions, here's a couple more...

1. Anyone know if you can type in a restaurant or business name, or do you have to know the address?

2. I heard that in order to update the nav each year, you have to fork over $1000 for the DVD update. This sounds insane, and came from a former BMW salesman now working for Subaru. Anyone know any details?

• newsubunewsubu Member Posts: 39
    The Tribeca I ordered is now sitting somewhere in Indiana, built, ready to go,... and just like that cutie in "I Dream Of Genie," awaiting my every command.
    I just need to rub the bottle a little to make her appear!

Based on the VIN# I'm given, and the VIN#s I've seen on lots and online inventory lists, I should be "Tribecadventuring" already. (I JUST coined that term, so any of you ad exec copywriters out that that think you're going to steal it...you owe me one Free Tribeca, and a lucrative ad agency job.)

Has anyone attempted to "pick their's up?" Like others, I'm tired of the delivery delays and figure I can probably fly into Indi, hitch-hike to Lafaytte with some Purdue student, show up at some big gray door with a purchase agreement and be on my way. Anyone ever tried this, or shall I be the lucky first?
  • tracikaytracikay Member Posts: 12
    Yes I am in Atlanta.

Sorry I havent been on the forum lately, we were out driving around all weekend.

Very fun to drive and we enjoy all the features. A big difference from our Forester. We love the 6 disk changer and the speakers sound great. We have enjoyed the nav and look forward to our first road trip.
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    they usually are pretty accurate in their reviews compared to even consumer reports
    means you can't open the rear gate if the battery is dead or disconnected. Not a very smart idea IMO. :(

Bob