Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Nav costs $2000, and for a lot of people that's tough to justify, when you can get a Garmin unit already pre-loaded with maps for $800.

I think adding a rearview camera makes it easier to justify spending extra for Nav, in fact I'm sure more people would opt for it.

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Problem with these Garmin units is that the screen is tiny compared to most in-dash units. They might work if you have a passenger to read it, but not so well if the driver has to rely on it by him/herself.

Bob
    But the newer ones add voice commands.

The wifey doesn't want power cables dangling from the dash and the position of the 12 volt plug isn't designed for it anyway (same problem with your V1).

-juice
  • gwilsongwilson Member Posts: 46
    Hypothetically, if the 2007 Tribeca comes with rearview camera, would it be possible to have it installed on a 2006 model that already has Nav or would this be too complicated?
    There's no way to know that now. We'd just be guessing.

Bob
  • gwilsongwilson Member Posts: 46
    Yeah, I agree. Just wishful thinking on my part I guess!!!
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    negative. garmins are pretty darn accurate, always have satellite signals & have extensive points of interest. i am amazed at my c330 compared to the Acura NAV i have used extensively.

plus, don;t forget i can switch to my 2nd car, rental car etc, plan trip at home.
    I didn't say they weren't accurate, just small.

Bob
    I test drove the B9 this weekend. I recently bought an XT OB ltd. I did find B9 noisy at low speeds, once you get to 30-40mph, it becomes super quiet. that tells me that the engine is working hard to pull 4200lbs.

But it cornered superbly. didn;t feel like driving a 7-seater. rear view is a bit of a problem.
  • subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    IMO having had both reverse safety systems: Camera and Sonar audible - I'll take the sonar any day of the week.

With video you need to watch the screen and you run the risk of hitting your front end backing into a thight spot. With audible there is no need to watch the screen, so you can watch your front end and also use the sideview mirrors..

In the winter and heavy rain often picture is blurred to the point of being useless.

In very dark locations often the back up lights do not illuminate engough to see well with the camera.

It is more important to know if there is something behind you - not what it is.

With sonar there is always a dependable indicator if there is an object back there and is much more accurate in knowing how close it is.
  • coastercoaster Member Posts: 46
    Is it possible for Subaru to give buyers of the five passenger Tribeca a bonus by designing the second row so that the seats go fore and aft without the middle stop since that is really only for the comfort of third row passengers? It would also be nice to have even more
    than an 8" track. Why not let second row passengers really stretch out. I, for one, would gladly pay extra for such a perk.
  • photoguy2photoguy2 Member Posts: 164
    Juice,

Thanks for the welcome. I'm really enjoying my B9 and excited about being able to use the iPod with it. I'm waiting for my friend to get back today and we will carefully drill a hole into the side of the center console between the front seats so the wire will go neatly into the center storage area and connect into the Belkin charger/adapter for the mini stereo plug. When I get it done I'll be sure to get some pics done for you to post.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    You're right on w/that assessment, subienewbie2... plus I imagine the sonar would be simpler, less expensive to install and repair, and more reliable.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    juice - are you (or anyone else) officially tracking the vehicles that folks are trading in (or that B9 Tribeca is replacing)? I can recall a couple MBs, a Land Cruiser, the recent Jeep GC, a Lexus RX330 (I think), and a handful of various Subarus of course.

It's also interesting to read what is being cross-shopped w/B9 Tribeca, but that's just too much and various info to track meaningfully, I think.

Many have been folks with previous Subaru ownership experience, so I think Subaru's assessment that B9 Tribeca would keep/bring back customers who outgrew the brand's offerings was correct. It's been nice to see newcomers considering the brand also, though.

Group Question: for those that have driven both, how would you compare B9 Tribeca's acceleration w/2000-04 2.5L Outbacks? Mine's an '04 and I would like at least a little more "oomph".
  • cpp788xcpp788x Member Posts: 47
    I was in a 5 seater today - there is no middle stop or red lever on the side of the seat - the seat has the full 8" travel from the lever in front. It appears the "stop" is only in the 7 seater.

Charlie
  • gduboisgdubois Member Posts: 3
    I'm not new to this forum, but this is my first post. After 3 O/B's (97, 02H6, and 05 VDC), I've just taken delivery of a B9 Tribeca - Champagne Opal - 7 pass. with Nav. and DVD. I would have liked the Black, but in Canada (check out subaru.ca)the beige leather option is only available in Maroon and Champagne. This vehicle is amazing! I love the ride, the room, and the toys. It isn't as quick off the mark as the O/B I traded in, but it's heavier and taller. I would like more power, but I can live with the slower acceleration. I've had lots of positive comments on the styling and the attendant at the local coffee shop drive-through asked if she could check out the interior after giving me my coffee! The usual negatives already listed apply -lack of room in the third row seat and difficulty backing up. I still can't get the second row of seats behind the driver to slide all the way back - yes I know about the lock - but even after sliding the lock all the way over the seat won't go back. I'm taking it in on Wednesday to have the auto dimming rear view mirror installed and will ask the tech to check out this problem.
  • tpalmertpalmer Member Posts: 3
    I picked up my new Tribeca tonight. Nice. :) My dealer gave me a decent deal to get me out of my 03 LLBean OB and into the B9. I ended up diving off the lot as the very first owner from my dealership.. which is also nice. :shades: I've figured pretty much everything out.. but there is one thing I just can't do. Display the DVD on the front screen. I was parked. I set the NAV display to Audio and my radio to the RSE. But the movie wasn't displayed on the front screen. The audio was fine. The audio screen said it was on the RSE and had a drawing of the DVD unit. But no picture. What am I missing? Anyone know how to get this feature working? None of the many manuals say anything about this other than to be on the Audio screen.

Thanks in advance.
  • kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    Any recommendations for the reverse system? Consumer Reports only listed three (Grote, EchoMaster, and Rostra, all around $300+). I hate the idea of letting someone drill holes in my bumper, but it sure would help my piece of mind.

-Karen in AZ-
    Reviews Links: http://members.cox.net/kamartin/2006b9tribeca.html
    I too had the same issue on the DVD. I believe I simply hit the Audio button again... Gosh I hope that is what it was... or mayber the RSE/AUX again... I know I had to press a button a second time..
    Thanks for the assist. But alas.. that didn't work. :confuse: Pressing Audio a 2nd time just brings the map back, and RSE/AUX a 2nd time does nothing. Hmm. Well, the dealership is holding a "new owner orientation" Thursday night. Maybe I'll ask the techs then if I haven't figured it out.
  • mikejlmikejl Member Posts: 78
    gdubois - I'm sure you've already done this, but it isn't clear from your post. It takes two hands to move the second row seat all the way back. You have to move the red/orange lever out with one hand and pull up on the release handle with the other hand at the same time.
    Interesting that you prefer sonar. Does it work well with poles? Curbs? Thing is it can be added pretty easily, which brand did you have?

photoguy2: with a handle like yours, you'd better take that pic. ;-)

jeff: not officially, just observing. So far the only surprise is that there have been some very high-end truck-based SUVs traded in on these. Not just crossovers.

If I had to guess, the Tribeca is a little quicker than the automatic Outback 2.5i. I'd bet the manual tranny OB 2.5i would be about equal off the line, but then at speed the Tribeca would pull away.

gdubois - congrats and welcome to the Subaru Crew!

tpalmer - same to you.

Newbies keep in mind we have a live chat every Thursday night at 9pm. If you want, also join us in the Subaru Crew - Meet the Members threads under Owners Clubs. You'll find the Subaru Community is a helpful, fun, tight knit group that will welcome you as I do now.

-juice
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    i much prefer that to the video system given the same reasons others have mentioned.

it detected poles, bikes, within specific heights, widths, distances of the sonar spec.

the sonar is perfect supplement to any vehicle.
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Jeff-

I have a 2000 OB and I can say without question the Tribeca has more "oomph" factor. After doing the test drive, when I got back into my OB I felt a little bit of envy as I slowly accelerated onto the highway. :( That is unusual for me, because I have always felt (and most of my friends agree) that my OB has plenty of power. Now I really feel the need for speed :) .

Mark
    my local dealers have added backup sensors even to OBs for $250. so, no big deal. get tribeca & add these. you will see 4-5 big bolt like thing on bumper, if you can live with this look, go for it.
    Any particular brand?

-km-
    To the person concerned about things like curbs - That is not really an issue. If you are backing up fast engouh tp jump a curb your going too fast and you would probably jump it with video as well since you couldn't stop in time.

There are many kits that retail from under $100 and up for self installation. I am pretty handy but I am not going to drill holes in my bumper my self. I rather pay more and have a pro do it.

Most of the better kits come with almost flush sensors like the factory systems have. I also plan to take my B9 to a Carnica shop and have the sensors paint to exactly match the body paint.
    But it's good to hear all this positive feedback. I'll consider a set if we end up getting a Tribeca.

-juice
    For the record I'm moving from an Infiniti Q45 luxury sedan to a 7 Pass Ltd with Nav and most options except DVD. The only thing I'll really miss is the 340 HP engine & the tilt down side view mirrors. Auto dimming side views would be nice as well.
    If you don't mind me asking.

Did you have HIDs? I'm wondering what you think about the lighting.

-juice
  • shane850shane850 Member Posts: 36
    Tpalmer,

If I remember correctly when my better half read it to me from the manual...

you have to have the car parked and the parking break set. Not only do you have to press the RSE button to get the sound, but you have to press and hold the audio button on the NAV system for 3-5 seconds to get the picture to come on the front screen.

Hopefully this helps and will work.

Shane
    Shane, thanks. It was the parking brake that did the trick. I thought I already tried that last night. But I guess not. Thanks again.
    Thanks for the advice mikejl, but as you surmised, I have already tried the two handed routine and it wouldn't work. I'll see how the dealer makes out tomorrow.
  • patentman1patentman1 Member Posts: 18
    Hi All,

I noticed that on the Limited, the passenger seat is powered but only a 4 way powered model. So you can probably adjust the seat back angle and front and back of the seat base. However, without the 8 way power seat, I won't be able to adjust the seat height or the tilt of the base of the seat. So my question....how is the front passenger seat comfort for taller people? Is there decent leg support for your thighs? I wish they would just put the same 8 way power driver seat into the passenger seat!

Thanks
    Rich
    You do not need to depress the parking brake if the engine is not running. Simply press the audio button it's there. If the engine is running (you come to a stop in a rest stop and your kids have been watching a movie and you want to now join in and the engine is running) depress the parking brake and press audio.

Enjoy.
    Juice,

I did the pics and wrote out what I did with the iPod install. I sent them to your emial listed on this site.

John
    Anyone know why the light around my ignition keyhole is flashing while I am driving? Also, it doesn't come on when the doors are opened now. I suspect it has something to do with the shock sensor installed yesterday....any thoughts? Can I correct this myself so I don't have to travel the 25 miles (45 minutes) back to the dealer?

A side note: the installer (kid) put a fist-sized dent in the frame above my door trying to activate the sensor. Turns out he wasn't taught to use the window as a test spot, and the alarm wasn't turned on...note to self...ask the dealer how much experience their techies have...get Dent Wizard guy's phone number from service manager... :cry:

-Karen in AZ-
  • irishwheatirishwheat Member Posts: 30
    I really appreciate this forum, so forgive me if this question has already been asked. is there a way for the passengers to watch a movie, and the front driver to listen to something else...other than that my 7 pas ltd dvd nav is growing on me more everyday. I traded my mdx for this and I really think its a much better drive. Do wish it had a rear view camera so that discussion is very interesting to me.
  • radsterradster Member Posts: 1
    Hi

This happened on my OBXT LTD when new. According to the dealer it was because a setting at the factory to test the electronics hadn't been reset for normal use. The dealer called to get the code to reset it and everything is fine now. Hope this helps.
    I am guessing that the passengers are not using the head phones.

When the head phones are used with the DVD you can listen the radio or CD thru the speakers. You may have to push the appropriate button for FM/AM or CD.
    I received general (non committal) info from SOA about delivery times.

I would appreciate those lucky ones out there that preordered like me, telling me how long before they received a VIN # and ultimately got their Beca

Thanks
    John
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Ugh, sorry to hear that Karen. This is a perfect example of why I don't use dealer servicing anymore, unless it's an absolute necessity. They just have no common sense. I know some mechanics are careful around customer's vehicles, but the majority are just not skilled or adept at doing any sort of finesse work without making a mess. I hope the dent-wizard can work it out. If not, I'd would be pretty mad -- maybe you can test that tech's ability to detect shocks when fists are raining down on his head!

Craig
  • irishwheatirishwheat Member Posts: 30
    I appreciate your help, I guess I meant was there anyway to listen to my ipod via aux while rear ent was on...
  • tytnsfan1tytnsfan1 Member Posts: 44
    I'm glad to hear that the sonar sensors are better in some opinions since I don't really want to get NAV. I just don't travel enough to make that worthwhile. It makes me feel better knowing I could get something added later if Subaru doesn't add this option for 2007. Although, I'm not sure about the bolts or whatever showing. I guess it depends on how it looks and how difficult I find it to back up safely.
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    no matter how great the vision i find the windstars sonar excellent at determining the distance behind me before i might bump something. it would start with a beep that was slow telling me what that i was far away. the closer i got the beeps got closer together until eventually when about 6 inches away from an object i would get a solid tone.

great for getting a vehicle into a tight parking spot without as much stress about accidentally bumping the vehicle behind me.

i wish this was even standard equipment on a great visibility like the forester
    Further to my post of June 20th, I just got back from the dealer having had the auto-dimming rear view mirror transferred from my old O/B to the new Tribeca. At the same time I had the tech look at the 2nd row seat behind the driver which had refused to slide all the way back. Turns out that the latch is broken and they have to order a new one. Dealer Service Manager got involved and ended up shaking his head over the fragility of the latch. He will call Subaru Canada to report on this issue.
    You absolutly can listen to something else. Simply press an alternative button like CD or FM and you will be able to listen while they use the wireless headphones!
    I was reading C&D yesterday and noticed something funny - the Tribeca's 3rd row has more space the Eclipse's back seat. 35 to 30 cubes.

Pretty funny. And they measure with the seats all the way back.

I bet the Mini Cooper has a lot less than that in the back seat.

Maybe it's not as bad as we think?

Noticed because the Eclipse article immediately followed the Tribeca's.

-juice