Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I hope you can ask them to correct that info

Please take a couple of minutes and send in a Contact us form. Thanks,

Steve, Host
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    20.7 mpg
    22.8 mpg
    19.1 mpg (on regular fuel)
    21.3 mpg

Not bad - still seems like most reports are in the low 20s.

Charlie - I didn't have a problem with the steering wheel buttons, but I use "shuffle steering" as opposed to the more common "hand over hand" method.

I will have a loaner on Thursday for a more thorough test, real-world too because we're taking 7 people to the beach in it, about 3 hours each way. Of course I'll share a full report.

How do you zero the trip computer so you get average mileage for a trip?

Love those puddle lights, how cool is that?

-juice
    Besides a slightly better rear view (see pic of Tribeca's), I don't see that a Highlander doesn't have most of those issues as well (small 3rd row, plastic interior, etc.).

Everyone and their aunt has a Highlander, and they're not a whole lot of fun to drive, but I don't think they're a bad choice either, just a conservative one.

Love that Subaru ad BTW, just as bold as the design of the Tribeca. We got to see that in Valley Forge on a big screen.

Pics of the view attached.

-juice
    See pic.

-juice
    Though Zap got there after the hard points were fixed, the influence of the grille is undeniable.

-juice
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    ateix... puddle lights. expeditions had those back in '97. do they do the opera dim too?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    I have no idea what the reality is with oil changes.

Some time ago I read an article that claim if use use a high quality oil - rather than perform oil change at the factory intervals, you could change the filter and top off the oil only. They claim that if you did that evry other cycle it not have any effect on the engine.

Who know's =
  • movedormovedor Member Posts: 65
    I live in Redmond and the closest dealer is Eastside. alextrif, how was your buying experience with Eastside? I've been there end of last year doing a test drive of Outback XT and see how the dealer would treat me. I felt the salesperson was not very knowledgeable about Subarus (maybe a new hire, I didn't ask however). Also the guy left me waiting for a long time to check something unrelated to my business. In the end I was so disappointed with their low offer on my tradein that I decided to leave after I thanked them for their time. They guy tried to remedy things saying they could "work" on my tradein value, but I was already leaving.

Now back to the Tribeca: in the June 2005 sales report from Subaru, there is a -%6 growth for Washington state relative to June 2004. I think sales have really slowed down around here for all models some reason. Tribeca sales just suffered because of that.

However, when demand is low, prices should be more attractive. I have been to another dealer to pick the Tribeca brochure and check the car interior and other details. At that time, beginning of this month, they quoted me full MSRP. I just nodded and thanked for the brochure. They might be now more inclined to deal at invoice price than MSRP due the low volumes.
  • krusty_krusty_ Member Posts: 11
    Yes, im sure that Subaru is ready to deal, the TriB came out right when everyone is offering Employee sales. How can they stand in from of a car that has been on the lot since the release and ask for full MSRP. No wonder i can not sell my boring Pilot. I do have a new Idea. Im going up to Carson City NV ( 140 Miles) to try to deal. Small Mountain town, and they are a Honda Dealer too, perhaps they will hook me up on the trade. .....Or not, My in- laws are living there so not a wasted trip if it does not work out.

Wish me luck i want the Beca bad.

CR
  • alextrifalextrif Member Posts: 7
    Movedor - Eastside was adequate. In the past 6 years, I've purchased cars at Eastside, Lynnwood Dodge and Bill Pierre Dodge. Eastside was the best of the three, but that does not mean they were not in this to stick it to me. They insulted me with the trade-in offer, so I took that out of the equation - I'm selling my 2003 Durango private party. Financing rates were acceptable. I got a 5 seat LTD for about $500.00 over invoice. It has the roof rack, mirror/compass and alarm. It is Silver. I did this on 6/30 - so that helped with the pricing. My salesperson's name began with "A" - I hope that helps. When it came down to to "negotiating", I was moved over to the "sales manager". I was there on 6/30 from 2pm until 7pm - what a long day.They did not have the car I wanted and got it from Skagit County. They delivered it to my home on the next day. I was told this was the best price anyone has paid on a Tribeca at Eastside - wanna by some property in the Everglades? :P

Also, Eastside gives you free oil changes for life. My neighbor says Eastside's service department angered him and he now has his 2 Subs serviced at Carter.

Pulling no punches - I despise car dealerships, but Eastside was adequte. If you have any questions, let me know.
    You spent ~5 hours at a car dealer negotiating? Wow. You have more stamina than Lance!

Steve, Host
  • alextrifalextrif Member Posts: 7
    Hey Steve - after having it "stuck" to me on the past two cars - I was in this one for the long haul. I felt I left with a good price and doing research paid off. I'm in sales so I was waiting for all the bull and I got it.
    I did the Blast Fax method back in late '98 the last time I bought new. Most dealers are now tuned into blast emails.

Steve, Host
  • movedormovedor Member Posts: 65
    alextrif: what angered your neighbor to not service his car at Eastside anymore?

One of the things I took the time to check at Eastside was their 30/60/90 miles service prices. To me they did look a bit on the expensive side. If they also have issues with service quality, it is another negative point for them on my book.
  • x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    anyone know the invoice price of the splash guards, moon roof air deflector and Cooler/warmer?
    All Subaru interior lights do that, not sure about the puddle lights...

-juice
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    I've always been pleased with Carter's service dept. Slightly expensive, but the service staff is non-commissioned so there's no incentive for them to try to push repairs you don't need. Customer convenience has been a top priority... free loaner cars, service and parts are open 7 days a week (6AM-9PM Mon-Fri!) and there's a separate "quick lube" and tire facility that doesn't require an appointment.

If you prefer an independent Subaru service shop, check out Smart Service for quality work at a little lower price. (smart-service.com) They're Subaru-only, located just east of I-5 on the King-Snohomish line, and highly rated by AAA. I've taken my older Legacy to them several times and always been pleased.

If you're buying in the Seattle area, please check out cars101.com.. This guy is knowledgeable, no-nonsense, and can save you a lot of money and time. I've never had a better (or faster!) car-buying experience, and have referred several friends & relatives who have all been pleased. At least have him e-mail you a quote on the vehicle you want and see if anyone can top it.
  • photoguy2photoguy2 Member Posts: 164
    You can zero the trip computer by simply pushing the button between the dispays for tach and speed. It's essentially the old button that cycles between trip a trip b and odometer. Select the trip you want to zero and hold it for a couple of seconds. Reach through the steering wheel for the button.
  • jacbronjacbron Member Posts: 1
    I did a lot of reading on this forum before leasing my Tribeca so I decided to finally join in. I have never owned a Subaru but so far I am pleasantly surprised.

I took delivery of my Tribeca on 6/17. So far I have 500 miles on my car. I really don't do a lot of driving and do more city than highway although that will change once my office relocates next year. I'm on my 3rd tank of gas and the computer shows about 17 MPG. My Tribeca is Seacrest Green with beige interior. I do really like it but agree with many of the reviews about some things that are missing, like the satellite radio, telscopic wheel. I have the 5 seater so I can't comment on the 3rd row although I can't imagine there would be much room back there. I think if you need to have a 3rd row, you need to get a larger vehicle than a Tribeca. I'm the only one driving my car and usually don't have a passenger either, other than my dog. I came out of Honda Accord which was a nice car but this is much nicer and in my opinion, much more enjoyable to drive. My Accord was a 4 cylinder which had ample power but now the Tribeca seems really powerful. I don't plan to tow anything. The seats are not too high so my dog can jump right up into the back seat and he has more headroom than in the Accord. I only have the cloth which I'm kind of regretting but it gets so hot down here in the South that I decided against the leather. I do know it would be easier to keep clean than the cloth but I'm a freak about my car and keeping it clean - no food or drink in the car ever. (ok, just water). Anyway, if I were to do it again, I would get the leather. I'll have to wait for the satellite radio and then I could trade up for a Limmited. But for now the back seat is going to have a seat cover anyway for when my dog rides back there so no worries about the cloth getting dirty.

I did get in on the Pre-Order and am to be receiving the portable satellite radio. According to Best Buy, they advised I can use that in the Tribeca and the tech who I spoke with has a WRX and is familiar with the Subaru radios. So, I'll have to see how that goes. I won't let them mount anything on the dash since my car is leased but did look at the cupholder mounts and myy try going that route.

As far as accessories, my dealer advises the Splash Guards are on backorder. I also ordered the front hood protector (bug shield), front underguard and the rear bumper covers. Those are to be arriving this week along with a front license plate bracket. I'll update on those later, if anyone likes.

So far I have not seen any other Tribecas here and when I have been to the dealership here in South Carolina, they still have all the vehicles they have had since early June, so I'm not sure what that means. Overall, I'm really happy with the way it drives. Took me a while to get used to pulling into my garage and backing is still a little bit of work but I think it is a great vehicle.
  • ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    went to the local dealer and took out the 7 pass filly loaded tribeca on a drive ,,,, not much to add to what you guys have said, but i find that in person i love the front annd sides, the back would take some getting used to for me .... but I did love it
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    filly loaded tribeca

Hmmm... How does that differ from a macho loaded Tribeca? Floral patterned and scented leather, as opposed to tongue-and-groove leather? :)

Glad you enjoyed the ride Bren. Are you and new hubby soon to be in the market, or was the curiosity just killing you?

Bob
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    i read that as a female horse in the car. wonder if the horse had a helmet or grunted in the turns? :P
  • ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    ok replying to both of you .... i deserve it i suppose, but remember i'm typing with only my left hand and on drugs (no i didn't take any before going to drive the tribeca)

not really in the market .. the curiosity was killing me ,,, but I DID love it
  • bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    filly loaded tribeca

NOW we know exactly how you're curing your pain.... ;)
    So a couple came tonight to look at my Pilot, My asking is 23,750 down from 24,900 when i first listed it 6 weeks ago..... they offer me 22,800 Now KBB says i should get 20- 23 in trade, Carmax offered me 21, I countered with 23, they are thinking it over. I mean its 200 more right, But its 700 all on the downside for me. Plus i throwing in my Yakimas ( they will do no good on the Trib anyway however would fetch 200 on Ebay.)

I do not want to just give it up. On the plus side i get VIP with Suby so im getting the TriB at invoice ( or better)

I taking it to the suby dealer in the morning and will see what they offer. otherwise i may just bend ( over)

CR
  • harvptharvpt Member Posts: 40
    Recently test drove the Tribeca, and loved it. Here in Upstate NY they are offering no deals yet, only at MSRP, I want to pay below MSRP. When do you think prices will drop? In the fall maybe?
    if your willing to head out of state you can find plenty of deals, some around invoice.
    photoguy2: thanks, it's the first thing I'll do when I get it.

Don't mess with Brenda, she can out-type any of us even with one hand, her BAD hand! LOL

jacbron: congrats and don't sweat not having leather. I mean that literally, cloth breathes better so you won't sweat as much. ;-)

CR: good luck, but remember the big picture - it's worth spending an extra $200 is it makes you happy. $200 represents about 0.6% of the purchase price.

harvpt: consider taking the train down to DC and going to fitzmall.com, check out their prices.

-juice
    I forget, did we refer you to the Real-World Trade-In Values discussion?

Steve, Host
    Thanks
  • 5greyhounds5greyhounds Member Posts: 338
    I realize it takes several years to go from idea to production but I have a feeling that as nice as the B9 is that Subaru has come to the game a little late with just a little to little. By this I mean the SUV craze is settling down and there are more and more out there. As mentioned by several there are some things missing on the B9 that I would have to have and they are: 1)rear air, 2)memory tied to seats, peddles, mirrors, and steering wheel and 3) telescoping wheel. I find that front A/C will not really take care second row passengers without freezing out the front row so rear A/C for the second row is almost a must. The could have put some vents in the console. (all the ones I looked at were 7 seaters and the A/C controls for the rear A/C were located at the rear of the console) With two drives of distinctly different sizes the memory is a must and thus the need for telescoping steering wheel. I think I will wait for the 2007 models or at least till the memory and rear A/C can be had in a five seater.

I tried to talk my wife into one but she would not get one without the rear A/C and since we have no kids (Greyhounds only) the third seat is a none player but with the dogs she wants the rear A/C. She ended up with an Outback Sport since we have a van and a SUV with the rear A/C and she just wanted something to tool around in.
    Cool, hope you enjoy it!

I pick up the loaner tonight and I keep looking at the clock! LOL

Still not 5pm? STILL? STILL?

Might not make the chat tonight. I might have to go pick up potato chips. In Florida. :o)

Rear A/C is std with the 7 pass model, which will have better resale anyway.

Also, while it is missing some features, it also has class leading ones, like the biggest NAV screen, biggest DVD screen, widest rims, etc.

-juice
    While i agree that Sub is late arriving to the SUV game, the TriB is not really an SUV rather an xSUV, with that being said, most of the others out there people who bought an MDX or an X5 in 01 are ready for a new ride. So there is a market for exiting customers from other brands. Its not good buisness sence to jump in to a market with new cars at the same time.

As for me, in in a Pilot and have been for 3 years, im ready to move on and get less truck and more car. ( A crossover)

Really what else is out there, A Muranno, ( no ) an FX. (no) An X3 ( No) - These are Crossovers. and what about true trucks Pilot, MDX, X5, - I think the tribeca beats them all. -

Yes there are features missing- however to keep the price at a level that will sell as a SUb some things needed to be left off. I think that i can live with out what is not offered.

CR
    Late, yes, but they came with the right product. People are moving away from truck-based SUVs and into more car-like crossovers. Gas prices are reaching a new high and it's also one of the most efficient choices out there.

OK, a hybrid might have been better timed, given the pent-up demand, but I think Subaru did well given the small amount of resources they have.

An MDX Touring with DVD and Nav is $44 grand. If you want all it offers be my guest.

Subaru offers an alternative for about $6 grand less that has the stuff that matters plus a DVD/Nav screen that makes the MDX owners envious.

-juice
  • harvptharvpt Member Posts: 40
    Thanks for the tip, do you know which States? I live in Northeastern NY, in the Capital Region. Thanks :)
  • foxbat121foxbat121 Member Posts: 211
    Never paid MSRP for any of my 4 Subarus ($750 under invoice, $500 under invoice, $200 over invoice and now $500 over invoice for my new Tribeca). Ask around and you will get better deal. I usually use Edmunds.com (or Subaru.com) to send out request for dealer quotes and follow up with email only. No phone calls or personal visits. The key is only talk to Internet Sales Managers who usually have the power to give out lower price quotes. If you talk to regular car sales person, good luck.
    Actually for MDX, you can get $1500 under invoice now which makes it very close to MSRP of B9. Acura is offering incentives to clear out 2005 MDX (as well as Pilot). After try out all three (MDX, Pilot and Tribeca), Tribeca is a clear winner for interior design as well as handling. However, MDX and Pilot do offer more interior space both in rear seat leg room and head room.

As for rear A/C vent in the console, my co-worker called it 'ball cooler' whenever he sits in the middle seat of the my other co-worker's MDX. It is very uncomfortable. Subaru's design in 7-seater is clearly better (roof vent).
    After spending two days in my new B9, here is my wishlist for Subaru to improve on:
    (1) More torque. Either a 3.5L H6 or 3.0 Turbo will do it.
    (2) Back up camera. Rear views, behind or side ways, are extremely restricted. I never feel so uncomfortable backing up any car before. The small side view mirrors do not help either.

These are two most important weeknesses on current Tribeca. Rest do not worth to mention becasue they are insignificant to me. Hopefully(very good chance), Subaru will offer those two features by 2008 when my lease ends ;)
  • phan7phan7 Member Posts: 7
    Has anybody taken extended warranty on their Tribeca's yet? I was just quoted 1330 for a 7 yr 100k no deductible Subaru Added Security warranty backed by SOA by a Delaware dealer (he said dealer cost is 1230). Does this sound right? Is it worth taking an extended warranty on this car. Currently, my intention is to keep my car for more than 3 yrs.
    I never bought any extended warranty for all my Subaru purchases. But that's just my personal choice. So far, I haven't found the need for any such warranty as Subarus are extremely reliable over the long run. On the other hand, I have Subaru Credit card that pays me $500 Subaru Buck$ coupon a year (max you can get per year). It is more than enough for pay for any unexpected repair or routine maintance. I haven't paid cash to my dealer for services for quite a few years now (except for oil changes).
    Yes, I am not too sure myself, but I was considering it given that the B9 is a rand new model and is likely to have have some bugs in the first year (even Toyotas and Hondas have had them lately) plus with all the new gizmos, it just makes me have peace of mind. On the other hand, I wonder if 1330 is worth it :confuse: .
    You can always shop around for extended warranty, not just limited to Subaru's own offering. From what I know, Subaru Added Security isn't the best deal out there.

Re: bugs in first year. That's exactly why I decided to lease instead of buy.
  • popa_sezpopa_sez Member Posts: 16
    "Dust In The Wind"...????....Great Song, but WAY too 1970's for this progressive SUV of the future. The conotations look back, not forward. I was thinking "VROOOM" by King Crimson!

I never had any idea what you were talking about when this was originally posted, now that I have seen the commercial, I am sure you missed the meaning. "Dust in the Wind" is referring to all the old SUV's and not the Tribeca... I guess it would be safe to say you were "Blinded by the Light." on this one.

Popa_sez
  • robotb9robotb9 Member Posts: 82
    We bought an extended warranty from SOA on our 96 Outback, and maybe broke even. We're not buying one on the B9 we have on order. I don't think it's worth the 1330.
    Robotb9, how much did you buy your warranty for, how many years and miles and how much deductible?
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Overheard two late-thirties female co-workers today talking about the "cool new Subaru" they saw in an ad on TV last night. One said at first she thought it was an "Infiniti or some other luxury brand".

It's good to see Subaru generating lust from folks other than enthusiasts who know what horsepower lurks under hoodscoops.
  • efinchefinch Member Posts: 13
    How much were the puddle lights?
  • wvroadswvroads Member Posts: 23
    $195 msrp