Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Yeah, I'd like to see a pic of the bumper guard. My OB XT came with one, and it looks really good (especially with gold paint). I would not have ordered on on my own, and it certainly doesn't offer much in the way of protection, but it looks good.

For the hood -- I have had the bug deflectors for my last two Outbacks, but for the new one, I installed rockblocker paint protection film. It won't take heavy abuse, but I like the invisible look and so far, no chips!

Craig
  • dbjonesdbjones Member Posts: 5
    Word! That was very well said, and speaks truth on every line.

Great stuff!
  • kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    Just measured mine....about 26.75" distance/space between them. Doesn't seem like a lot, but with the moonroof, it's probably all they could muster. I'm sure I'll make use of it someday...they do, after all, know my name in my local Home Depot :-)

-Karen in AZ-
    I absolutely agree with the points here regarding enough passing power. I just drove a 3000-mile round trip in all kinds of highways conditions. I even had enough power to pass (several) RV's and trucks going uphill on mountain roads, even with the AC on...no scary moments, but I used the Sport Shift on occasion, just to be certain.

The Info Screen buttons on the console are pretty handy, and the reach is not as far as the touch screen itself. I found myself using the buttons more in order to keep my hands near the wheel.

I found the gauges and dash in general to be very easy to locate and figure out the first time I drove the car. And the aluminum trim IS very cool, in my opinion.

Maybe Karl was driving some other model??? To each, his own...

-Karen in AZ-
    Thanks for the measurement Karen. That is a really narrow spacing. I have a 40" spacing on my Outback crossbars, and that's about as low as I would want to go for canoes/kayaks and lumber. I really wish Subaru had done a better job with the rack system on the Tribeca -- it is similar to the rack on the MDX and a few other "glamour" SUVs -- sort of a weak gesture at a rack, but not really functional or safe for typical homeowner or outdoor/sports loads. You really can't transport any long items on a 27" spacing!

I am sure Yakima and Thule will come up with rack options for the Tribeca, using clips that hook under the door openings (which will result in a slightly wider crossbar spacing, but not by much). These systems work OK, but I really prefer setups like the Outback where you get a sturdy siderail running the length of the roof -- to me, that is one benefit of having a long wagon or SUV roof.

As much as I use racks, the narrow spacing and the 4" higher roof are two big factors that would steer me away from a Tribeca and into an Outback. Otherwise, I would seriously be considering a Tribeca.

Craig
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
    I only played with the NAV on the Subaru but I currently have the Pacifica with NAV and previously had a Acura TL with NAV. in order of ease of use and layout I would say Acura NAV then Pacifica then Subaru.

Subaru should have the option to give you a list of a catagory by distance even if your not zoomed in close. just give me the list dang-it. plus the menu layout is a bit clunky and non-intuative.

The Pacifica was still not as easy as the Acura. I had the older Acura NAV system. The new Acura's have their NAV linked into their bluetooth handsfree. that means, click nearest hotel.. find hotel you want, click call. and it dials your phone automatically... so you can find if there is vacancy before getting off the turnpike, ect.
  • b9driverb9driver Member Posts: 118
    After 1100 miles and a couple of weeks, our 5 Passenger B9 Limited is getting 18.5-19 MPG around town and always above 23 on the highway. Drive it easy and the mileage is really okay. Playing with sport and manual mode drinks gas. During the past 5 days we don't seem to be using more gas than out 1999 Outback did. I think we pushed the underpowered Outback more and probably got less economy out of it. The B9 really does have power for easy city driving.
    As I reported earlier, I drove the B9 FAST in manual mode, up to 120 MPH going to PA and barely got 20 MPG. On the way back I took it easy and things improved by 5MPG. It may get even better in the winter with the AC off. 7 passenger loaded models may be a bit worse off and if you have 4 people on board that's going to effect things as well.

Robert B
    NY
    Drive your B9 on the highway at around 70 MPH and lower one or both of the back windows. The buffeting effect is awful, almost a pounding to the chassis. You simply can't drive at speed with the rear windows down.
    It's not a fatal flaw, but still surprised me!

Robert B
    NY
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Not that uncommon.... I drove a Corolla wagon prior to my OBW, and if you lowered a rear window before opening a front one, it would pound the occupants to death (lost a number of good friends that way....). Similar problems are being reported with the new Honda Odyssey (sliding doors now have retracting windows).

Steve
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    My recent experience with the Tribeca NAV unit has pointed out just how important "ease of use" is. IIFC the Tribeca's NAV user manual is around 50 pages or so. I'm just guessing at the number of pages, but the point I'm making is just picking up that manual and thumbing through it is a daunting experience to a NAV newbie.

I noticed that there are a number of ways of inputting data. Why? Why not just offer one way to do so, and make it the easiest and most logical way to do so? All this high-tech complexity is really nothing but counterproductive.

I'm now curious as to how easy other NAV units operate. I've heard some good things about the unit in the Acura MDX. That unit, if you should venture off a paved road onto some dirt path reportedly shows "crumbs" on the screen so that you can find your way back. In addition to voice guidance it has voice activation.

Bob
  • subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    I just curious about 2 things:

The 23 mpg on the highway, what is the average speed you were driving at. I usually average about 75mph and get a bit over 21 MPG on flat roads.

Why would you want to drive at 70 MPH with the rear windows down. They are so big it is not surprising about the buffetting. Also, if you drove any distance like that it would probably cost 2 or 3 MPG because of the drag you are creating.
  • jandj94jandj94 Member Posts: 17
    I'm interested in remote start for my Tribeca. My dealer said they can do it for $500. Not sure if it is genuine Subaru or aftermarket. Not sure if it's an add-on module or a programming 'toggle' on the existing security/keyless entry feature.
  • newtosubienewtosubie Member Posts: 39
    "Plus by now everyone knows its a subaru from the ads, but I ended up covering some of the letters up to spell a nickname I have so its still the mystery car on the road and i've only seen one other which was parked up at State College."

Ok, I give up. Su? Sub? bru? bar?
    I saw a Passat changed to a##, and of course there's the Toyotas that become "yo".
    I'm interested in remote start for my Tribeca. My dealer said they can do it for $500. Not sure if it is genuine Subaru or aftermarket. Not sure if it's an add-on module or a programming 'toggle' on the existing security/keyless entry feature. >>

That price is an insult. My dealer offered me a pretty complex additional alarm system for 500 bucks. I didn't want it and got just the remote start for 175.00 installed. It works great, though they needed to reprogram my master remotes after forgetting to put in the trunk hatch release function.
    500 is WAY TOO MUCH.

Robert B
    NY
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    i got a Valet brand remote start for my OB XT from the dealer. this doesn;t void warranty & is approved by subaru. works fantastically.

costs 400, i got it for 250 at the time of buying the car
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Has anyone taken the B9 off road yet? I'm talking like dirt trails, nothing major. If anyone did, how did it handle? I am asking because my wife's friend is getting rid of his Yukon soon. He originally was planning on the Forester, but he feels he needs something with a bigger carrying capacity. I'm thinking the B9 might do the trick, or an OB.

On a related note, I see that Subaru offers both front and rear bumper covers. What about a skid plate and rear differential protector? I have both on my Outback Wagon, and they come in handy driving around NYC:-).

Mark
  • x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    "Any chance of a photo of the front end with the new additions??"

I was thinking of posting one but then realized you can just look at the Subaru.com site, build a B9 and then click on the hood protector and front bumper underguard in options to see a picture, if thats the additions you are talking about. Thats pretty much what they look like. Of course its close up and look diff on diff colors and from diff angles etc.

Main thing I would say of note on the front bumper underguard is that its more then just what looks like a silver strip in the picture as it covers more area including the center column of the front bumper under part and wraps under as well.. Seems to be protective on what is a low bumper and adds a cool look with the silver. I am pretty picky and am happy wiht the look of both of these options as well as the other ones i mentioned.

But speaking of the front bumper. It still bugs me a little how much the hood slopes down and how low the front bumper is to the ground for an SUV. In looking at for example the Lexus RX and a Porsche Cayenne yesterday I noticed how high up their front bumpers are off the ground. I was worried that not only does the B9 have less ground clearance but that the low front bumper makes it look more like a car.

As well, other suv's including the Murano seem to sit some space above their tires giving it more height. I know its nice how the wheels fill the wheel wells and most ppl i have talk to that know cars say you want that and I do agree i don't like the look of say the Pilot and MDX that sit well above their tires that look small in the huge wheel well but I'm just worried the B9 will be mistaken for a Toyota Matrix or Pontiac Vibe type vehicle.

I'm pretty much over both of these issues though as I realize that the sloping hood and low front bumper liken the B9 to the FX as one of the most sporty SUV's and though the body doesn't sit above its wheels on shocks, that the wheels filing the wheel wells is a sign of quality, looks better, and the vehicle still seems to sit just as high as the vehicles it competes against (Murano, Highlander etc.) in fact the view from the back seat seems higher so i was wondering if the Tribeca is supposed to have "stadium seating" like hte Xterra had/has?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's not a fatal flaw, but still surprised me!

The surprise these days would be finding a car that didn't have the buffeting:

tidester, "Volvo XC90 SUV" #930, 4 Jan 2003 1:19 am

Steve, Host
  • foxbat121foxbat121 Member Posts: 211
    I was worried that not only does the B9 have less ground clearance but that the low front bumper makes it look more like a car.

MDX/Pilot: 8"
    X5: 7.1"
    XC-90: 8.9"
    Murano: 7"
    RX330" 7.48"

Tribeca: 8.4"

As you can see, Tribeca has the second highest ground clearence.

Now the front end and rear end bumper hight issue. This is usually called approch angle (front) and departure angle (rear). RX330 is a good example of high approch and departure angle. Subaru traditionally sucks in the area. However, both approch and departure angle are only useful when you want to do serious off-roading (like climbing steep slops). On normal pavement driving this is not important.
    Angle of approach and departure do come into play if you drive on the beach too, especially at some entry/exit points.

Bob
    Angle of approach and departure do come into play if you drive on the beach too, especially at some entry/exit points.

Good point. However, driving on the beach would be called extreme off-roading in my book :D With the extreme touchy gas paddle of Tribeca, I'd stay away from beach sand.
    I had my splash guards as they are called (not mud flaps) installed on July 15th and they didn't say they just came in or anything though they may not have had them long. So, I guess they came in early at some dealerships and I was lucky.

I said this before but they are smaller then I though and not a big flap. But they integrate nicely with the lower bumper and add a nice look without being too noticeable.
    Speaking of beach driving: I bet those wide 255 tires would "float" just fine on soft sand without letting any air out of them.

Bob
    doesn't matter what I spelled. I took off the whole chrome Subaru lettering on the back and just kept a few letters on the hood protector as they seem to match the satin white pearl. the moon roof deflector is all black with no off white silvery lettering.

'm glad the B9 is low on advertising besides the wordless Subaru badge on the front, back and center cap of the wheels ( which I'm thinking about getting chrome versions of these which I'm assuming would chrome out the badge so no blue, but keep the factory wheel as they clean up nice)

Anyone know where the Subaru badge of the big 4 pointed star with 5 other little stars to its right comes from or what it means?
    Anyone know where the Subaru badge of the big 4 pointed star with 5 other little stars to its right comes from or what it means?

Oh boy, a softball question. Who wants this one?

Steve, Host
    (Wikipedia has a good entry about it)
    Ok, wow. Thats good to know and I can't believe the Tribeca has the second highest ground clearance only to the Volvo XC90 and ahead of the RX, Murano, X5, and MDX/Pilot, so I'm assuming that would include the Highlander as that is the same as the RX, and that it would be higher then the INinfiti FX which is mroe car like which is the main cars I and most would be comparing the B9 to.

Where is ground clearance measured exactly? from the side or something. As far as approach (front) and deaparture (rear) angle I understand this must not be good good on the B9 as it looks low mostly in front, back seems high enough. I realize its not important unless doing serious off roading and climbing steep slopes. Was more just concerned with the car like looks of the low front bumper and maybe the occasional small obstacle , curb etc. that would need to be traversed.

I'm surprised the RX has good approach and departure angles as it really isn't an off road vehicle and is the most car like pavement suv toyota has but i did notice its front bumper is pretty high off the ground.

I guess it comes down to opinion on what yout think looks better. The high up front bumper like the RX and even porsche cayenne and touareg i guess or the lower sportier looking bumper. I love the sporty looks of the FX and feel the tribeca combines the best of both worlds but guess i was partial to an aggresive raised front bumper look and still getting used to the b9's lower sportier front bumper in that respect.
    "Unlike some other motor companies, such as Ford (founded by Henry) or Suzuki (founded by Michio), Subaru is not named after its founder. "Subaru" is the Japanese word for "Seven Sisters", a common name for the most prominent stars in Pleiades, an open cluster of about 500 young stars (only about 100 million years old), barely visible in our northern sky. At least six of the 500 or so stars are visible to the naked eye, while under moderate conditions the number increases to 9, and under clear dark skies, jumps to more than a dozen. To see the rest, good quality binoculars or a telescope is required; but the cluster is still difficult to locate as it is spread over only 2 degrees - about four times the diameter of the moon.

The name "Pleiades" itself may have been derived from the Greek word for "to sail" or the word "pleios" meaning "full" or "many".

Another theory is that the cluster is named after the mythological mother, Pleione, which is also the name of one of the brighter stars. According to Greek mythology, the main, visible stars are named for the seven daughters of "father" Atlas and "mother" Pleione: Alcyone, Asterope (a double star), Electra, Maia. .Merope, Taygeta and Celaeno.

Although somewhat similar to the constellation Crusis, comprising Gacrux, Alpha 1 Crusis, Beta Crusis and a few other unnamed stars, which we know (in Australia) to be the Southern Cross, the Subaru badge represents a totally different group of stars.

But why does the Subaru badge only have six stars?

Ken Takeuchi from Japan has provided this insight, including an alternative background for the star emblem:

To say first, SUBARU may stand for "seven sisters" may be true but the Pleiades stars are also called "Mutsura-Boshi", which means "six gathered stars". The star SUBARU even appears in the lyrics written more than 1000 years ago. The word has some romantic feelings to we Japanese.

Fuji Heavy industries, the maker of SUBARU cars, was known as Nakajima Aircraft before WW II, which made many fighters and bombers. Even the famous Mitsubishi Zero fighter had a Nakajima 14 cylinder engine. After the war, the company was forced to spread into 15 companies to cut the strength of the huge weapon industry. But in the early 1950s, five of the companies gathered into one again to restart as a transportation company. That's FUJI and that's why there are five little stars and one big star.

So, the present SUBARU emblem represents the company structure rather than the original star cluster image.

also:
    http://www.subaru.com.cy/about/origin/index.html

good thing the first president of Fuji Heavy Industries didn't name it after his last name or we'd be driving Kita's which is too much like Kia and there already is another company named Fuji.
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
    this also comes into play with steep driveways. here in Pittsburgh the grade of driveways are very steep. so its important if you dont want to scrape.
    Where is ground clearance measured exactly?

Lowest point underneath the car to the ground. If you look underneath the B9, it is vertually flat. Some cars appear to have higher ground clearence. Examining the underbody, you often find exhaust pipes hanging low or other stuff protrude out so its actual ground clearence is low.

Others I forgot to list:

Ford Explorer: 8.5"
    Jeep Grand Cherokee: 8.5"
    MB ML350: 8.6"
    Highlander: 7.3"
    4Runner: 9.1"

And finally: Subaru Outback (2005) : 8.7"
    Mark, I did some extensive off-roading recently in the mountains of Montana. Mostly primary forest service roads, but we ventured onto some secondary FS ones which were full of ruts and twists (i.e., not at all maintained). The B9 did a fabulous job of staying in contact with the road, and the ride was quite comfortable. By contrast, we took my friends' big Dodge Ram diesel truck (they haul horses with it) over some of the same roads, and it threw us all over the place. My girlfriend keep reminding me of the bumps ahead, and then after hitting the pretty squarely, we just pretty much laughed them off. Needless to say, we spent more time in my vehicle than in their's that week.

Also, having owned/driven an '05 OB and a '99 Forester in similar conditions, I would say the ride was comparable to the OB, but the handling was much easier and tamer in the B9. The Forester was always a bit too light for some of those roads, but still always got me through all the same terrain (although less clearance). The higher seat height on the B9 will make you think you are in a much bigger, heavier vehicle, but it is quite nimble and smooth even on rough dirt roads.

When I first test drove the vehicle, I was only offered the main paved roads around the dealership (which was in a somewhat rural area). Just to see what he would say, I asked the saleman if we could take it on a dirt road somewhere. He kind of hesitated, and finally said he had been wanting to do that, too, but I had to promise not to tell his boss. We found a bumpy dirt shoulder off one of the ranch roads and I drove it across all the cross ruts for about a mile (it had rained recently and the ruts had dried very hard). I was pretty much sold on the possibilities of the ride then and there, and we never told his boss :-)

Hopes this helps.

-Karen in AZ-
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    karen,

that was good information no one else has written about. thanks
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    I think the skid plate and diff protector are integrated/included on the B9, as they were on the '05 OB. Can someone confirm that for me?

-Karen in AZ-
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    For all you Jersey-area folks on this forum, you can meet Subaru's top rally driver, Petter Solberg, and see an '06 WRX STi today from 6-8pm at Miller Subaru in Lumberton.
    http://www.subaru.net/rally/2005/miller/miller.htm
    I think the skid plate and diff protector are integrated/included on the B9, as they were on the '05 OB. Can someone confirm that for me?

Well they are not standard equipment on the Outback, that is one thing I can confirm. I doubt they are included on the Tribeca. The diff protector has always been an accessory for Subaru as long as I can remember, but they have never offered a skid plate that I recall.

By skid plate, I am referring to an actual metal plate under the engine/transmission. Most cars come with a plastic undercover these days (for aerodynamics/cooling), but it is not meant to serve as a skid plate.

Craiig
    I had the diff protector as an add-on for my 99 Forester, but when I bought the 05 OB, the dealer told me it was "integrated" or built-in and not an add-on. I have seen no such animal for the 05 OB or 06 B9. Maybe with the extra ground clearance they decided it wasn't necessary???

-Karen-
    The Outback and Forester will be better off-road by virtue of their long travel suspension, and lighter weight / smaller size is a bonus. After test driving a B9, I am certain it has a suspension setup more like what you'd find in a Legacy or Impreza -- aimed at on-road handling more than off-road. With more suspension travel, the Outback and Forester are more of a on/off-road compromise, but not true off-roaders by any means. Ground clearance of the B9 is quite good, but without a lot of wheel travel that will only buy so much. Of all the Subarus I have driven off-road, think my 05 OB XT is the best (combination of manual mode 5EAT, torque, and suspension) but my wife's previous Forester was extremely nimble and also quite good. Both vehicles have gone places that larger SUVs could not.

Craig
    Another plus for the Forester is better angles of approach and departure, and breakover angle too. If I had my choice of Subarus to go off road with it would be a Forester. Also, it's the only US-spec Subie with a full-size spare, which is also a huge plus for going off road.

Bob
    My XT sure doesn't have any diff protection (though in forward motion, if you whale the diff with a rock you would already had to have creamed a rear crossmember forward of the diff). But you're right I also don't see that accessory for the 05 Outback on the Subaru website.

Craig
    Nice summary; Edmunds says Subaru means "unite." link.

Steve, Host

Only a plastic plate under the engine. As for diff protector, can't tell as it is buried between two exhaust pipes.
    You are being generous adding the other models:Ford Explorer: 8.5"
    Jeep Grand Cherokee: 8.5"
    MB ML350: 8.6"
    Highlander: 7.3"
    4Runner: 9.1"

With the exception of the MB - aren't all the others true SUV's where as the B9 is a cross over xuv. A true SUV would really the extra clearance.
    Help a newbie out please

What is 5EAT, I saw on the title when I registered my B9 and thought it was a typo:)
    5-speed Electronic(controlled) Automatic Transmission.
  • mrlovermrlover Member Posts: 7
    Hi there,

Just bough my new 2004 infiniti FX35 3 weeks ago, but becoming a bit bore with the interior. I test drove the B9 when it first came out begining of June in Canada, love the interior mainly the lighting system, but not very keen about the exterior design. Anyone experiences with both in detail, please give me some honest, unbias advices. I know that in terms of power, appearance, reputation, reliability and warranty, the infinity is more superior, but B9 has more toys. Does B9 really have to use premium fuel? is recommended for FX35, but not required. Thanks guys/gal

Mrlover
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Recommended but not required. You can run regular fuel.

Karen - sounds like you had some fun! Cool. :)

Swampy - no, I didn't get on the sand. Keep in mind I spent less than 24 hours at the beach, it was a quick in-and-out trip, no time to set up for surf fishing (which is required for you to drive on North Bethany's sands).

For Assategue Island you have to get there by 10am because they close once a certain number of cars pass through. Plus I was meeting Dennis.

Karl was indeed wrong about the NAV, see the picture below. When you hit any audio controls the audio info pops up on the bottom of the NAV screen.

FWIW, Bob, we went to Philly in an Audi S4 yesterday and the NAV was much less intuitive IMO. It uses a light version of MMI, but we had to enter the state, then the city, and it had trouble finding Miller Subaru's street address. In fact we could only find the town and then had to ask for directions, which sort of defeats the purpose of NAV, don't you think?

It seemed to make more mistakes than Subaru's NAV, too.

I had just used the Tribeca because I got a bonus drive up to Baltimore to return the vehicle. So I used the two systems back to back.

The Subaru's screen is much bigger, 7" to 5". Does size matter? LOL

Also, the Tribeca's NAV is a lot easier to use. The Audi's is *not* a touch-screen, so you have to scroll through everything, even the alphabet to spell a street name. It took 15 minutes and we still failed to find Miller Subaru.

I can say, conclusively:

Tribeca NAV > Audi NAV

Much greater.

-juice
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Note the audio info.

-juice
    Does B9 really have to use premium fuel? is recommended for FX35, but not required.

Same with all H-6 Subies. Subie turbos, however, are "required" to use premium.

Bob
    I know that in terms of power, appearance, reputation, reliability and warranty, the infinity is more superior, but B9 has more toys. Does B9 really have to use premium fuel? is recommended for FX35, but not required.

FX35: Power - Yes, appearance - subjective (same as B9), reputation - don't know, reliability - questionable. Subaru is ranked #1 last year by CR, I don't know where Infinity stands but it won't be more than Lexus which is #2.

Premium is recommended, not required. But with an already underpowered engine, why would anyone put cheap gas to degrade the engine furthermore.
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    how many in-car NAVs can get you updated traffic update & detour you ? And it has most udpated maps

This can do it for $700
    http://www.garmin.com/products/sp340/