Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• foxbat121foxbat121 Posts: 211
    but someone in SoA told me they're popular in Canada so Subaru couldn't kill it off.

LoL. Guess too much space back there in a wagon to warm up.
  • x5killerx5killer Posts: 368
    I've had my Satin White Pearl 7-pass. limited with Desert Beige Leather B9 Tribeca, with DVD, NAV, puddle lights, cool dbl beige pin stripe to match the interior, and almost every other option including splash guards which I got a few weeks ago so surprised that some dealers still dont have.

I am basically totally happy with it in all regards inlcuding trim and options i picked (the rear audio inputs for mp3 player has been great) as well as rear ac vents I've noticed has really help make the diff in this hot and humid whether we've been having.

My only major complaints right now are having to put in 93 octane guess with prices above $2.50/gallon and the fact that the B9 still doesn't seem to have enough torque especially for off the line and 0-60. Though it has 10 more hp then my previous suv did (Pathfinder) and its usually fast enough for passing etc and maneuvering around, in fact for the most part it is very sporty and fast but just could use more from a stopped position.

Someone said everyone must be drag racing. but in stop and go traffic and neighborhood driving 0-60 and off the line is the most important thing and a few times I've put teh pedal to the floor to merge in somewhere and just didn't seem to be quick enough or have enough torque or power. My pathfinder even had a 3.5l engine, why only the 3.0 in the Beca?

So basically i could use a little faster engine. I wonder if they ever come out with an sti, xt, gt or otherwise turbo version they could replace the engine but i doubt it and you would have to buy the whole new vehicle which is another concern to me being that my vehicle is not leased and was paid in full (for about 1700 over invoice which I'm still pissed about). If they had made this a hybrid which surprisingly some ppl think it is at first just by its design it would have been the perfect suv almost.

Toyota/Lexus is offering hybrid engines that get more speed/power/hp etc then the same car with non hybrid engines and in fact with their lexus models the hybrid powerplants is pretty much going to be just as much if not more for performance enhancement (especially when they get v8 power out of a v6) as it is gas saving. With the Highlander being redesigned for 2007 to look more rounded/modern similiar to the Murano, Tribeca etc I may like the styling then where as I dont at all on the current Highlander.

If something better comes along in as little as 2 to 3 years whether Tribeca with better engine or redesigned Highlander or other hybrid suv then I am worried I wont get my moneys worth on trading in teh Tribeca. But its nice not to have another bill/payment and I imagine if its still that new nad low mileage that it will hold its value especially with all the options and for now it was still the best choice for me for the money.

I hope Subaru can catch up wiht Toyota/Lexus in regard to hybrid/performance though, or I wont be staying with Subaru long having already reluctantly switched from being a Nissan/infinity fan/loyalist. Not to mention Honda/Acura and their few hybrids with more to come as well as acuras superior nav and electronics. I know its tough to compare Subaru to the 3 big Japanese auto makers that dominate (especially toyota) but that is the competition.

Speaking of which while I chose the Tribeca over a Nissan Murano, Infinity FX35, or Acura MDX due mostly just to being newer and having certain ext. styling effects (puddle lights, turn signal on side mirrors) and the fact that i could get more for less price as even the Murano costs more comparibly equipped not to mention B9 has better handling then all except the FX to which it is equal? though i heard FX isn't good in the snow/ice.

Problem is sometimes the Tribeca just looks really low especially from the front and continues to bother me. While i've mentioned before and i noticed that even the Murano sits up on its shocks above its wheels more i wonder why they didn't do this with the Tribeca. CAn the b9 be raised on its shocks a little so there is more space between the wheel and car and raising the height of the B9?

The front hood especially not only starts low and just has a lower height overall, it then slopes downward and comes down so low in the front and bottom bumper its like a low riding sports car almost. This is cool i guess if you going for the super sporty car like looking suv like the FX buti think even the FX is higher off the ground in the front.

Again its weird as the B9 looks diff in diff situations and where and what its parked next to but sometimes especially because of the front it just starts to look too low and un suv like and not very substantial and starts to remind you of a toyota matrix or some other high wagon which ppl already associate subaru with.

I mean just park next to any other even car like SUV like the Murano. You'd have to jump onto the hood of it while the B9's hood starts at its highest point as low as a cars almost and then slopes down even lower. Nothing can be done about the design but to get some more height do you think it can be raised on its shocks a little and would this take away from the handling?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Blame Harley Earl?

Ground clearance is actually very good for its class. I would not lift it any more because you'll sacrifice the handling too much.

Subaru takes pride in its relative low-center-of-gravity, so they set the powertrain very low in the engine bay, all the weight is down low to aid in handling.

It's almost a philosophical issue. Subaru is not going to go taller because that isn't consistent with their basic DNA.

That's my take, anyway.

-juice
  • foxbat121foxbat121 Posts: 211
    and the fact that the B9 still doesn't seem to have enough torque especially for off the line and 0-60. Though it has 10 more hp then my previous suv did (Pathfinder) and its usually fast enough for passing etc and maneuvering around, in fact for the most part it is very sporty and fast but just could use more from a stopped position.

Low end torque is more important than horse power numbers. Unfortunately, the 3.0L H-6 lacks in this department (only 219 lb-ft. For comparson, my WRX's 2.0L Turbo has 217 lb-ft of peak torque). I hope by the end of my lease, Subaru could offer 3.5L H-6 or turbo 3.0L H-6.

Problem is sometimes the Tribeca just looks really low especially from the front and continues to bother me.

It doesn't bother me at all. If anything I wish it could be even lower. Lower is better for handling and safety (not easy to roll over).
  • delewisdelewis Posts: 10
    Robert,
    I'm curious, the Subaru web site seperatly lists the weight of the 5 Ltd and the 7 Ltd each at 4155 lbs, and continues to say "based on the standard 5 passenger model" so I don't know what the difference in weight between the 5 standard and the 5 ltd and 7 Ltd would be, But in my simple mind how much could the seats possibly weigh that would have a great impact on anything.

I should be getting a 24 hour test drive in the next couple of days. I'm really anxious to give it a try

Thanks,
    Don
  • c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    Just checked Subaru.com. It is only an option for non-limited version. Hence my earlier doubt about limited version has a different layout. So, if you have a non-limited version of Tribeca, chances are subwoofer wiring is already under the seat.

They only list it that way because the Ltd models already have a sub (rear mounted). In reality, all Subarus will accept the underseat sub. Just to avoid confusion that often pops up on these forums about the sub -- none of the Subarus are prewired for the underseat sub. The sub comes with a separate harness which must be routed to the radio. I can't tell you how many times people have been under the impression the cars are prewired for the sub, which is not the case -- you do have to route some wiring through the console to the back of the radio.

Craig
    Problem is sometimes the Tribeca just looks really low especially from the front and continues to bother me. While i've mentioned before and i noticed that even the Murano sits up on its shocks above its wheels more i wonder why they didn't do this with the Tribeca. CAn the b9 be raised on its shocks a little so there is more space between the wheel and car and raising the height of the B9?

I can't believe this bothers you! One of the key technical triumphs of Subaru is their ability to offer class leading ground clearance and class leading low center of gravity at the same time!! This is rare in the industry, and is due to Subaru's unique use of symmetrical AWD and a horizontally opposed engine layout. The result is excellent handling despite decent ground clearance.

In teh case of the Tribeca, it also has a fairly tight suspension that helps handling but reduces that wheelwell space. My Outback is somewhat the opposite -- a long travel suspension, and more space in the wheelwells. True trucks/SUVs are even more pronouced in that regard.

The other thing to keep in mind is that bumpers aren't really where you think they are on modern cars with integrated bodywork. What's underneath that big plastic cover is what matters, and it's more likely a system of bumpers and energy absorption rather than a single discrete bumper. It's all an illusion anyhow. Basically, you're saying the Murano's butch styling appeals to you more, which is not so hard to accept -- different people have different tastes. Personally, I like the looks of the Tribeca front end much better. Definitely more modern.

CRaig
  • x5killerx5killer Posts: 368
    well I even kind of like this photchop version of the front grille better.
    http://members.shaw.ca/anon123/tribecachop.jpg
    It looks higher up and more meatier/substantial somehow like the porsche cayenne. though that picture also makes the hood look shorter and stubbier. I wonder if you could get rid of that plastic like chrome in teh main grille and side wings and either have nothing so its more like open air intakes like the Porsche cayenne or maybe change it to an aftermarket metal mesh or something.

But that still wouldn't fix how low it is which is my main problem. I actually like the looks of it and though all the early controversery on the front grille I've said before that everyone I've encountered loves it as a plus instead of thinking its a detractor. So i'm more thinking of changing the looks of the grille in terms of adding height and substantialness.

Park next to any other similiar suv that the Tribeca is compared to any. And look at both front ends side by side. you wont find one with a lower hood height even where it meets the windsheild and especially not lower where it slopes down and how close the bottom bumper is to the ground. I know the low height aids in teh handling but they didn't have to slope the front hood down so low and they could have used illusion just to make it look higher and at least tougher. And I realize that makes it like the FX giving it a real sporty car like look which is cool and innovative for suvs but the fact that it then has a weak in tourque and avg or below hp 3.0 L engine its kind of like having a racing sports car body with a regular weak engine in it that doesnt' match its exterior looks. Its not that I prefer the Muranos front grille neccesarily but thats sad if the Muranos with one of the weaker front grilles in the comparitive vehicles looks tougher then the Tribecas.

Also, i know the wheels are pretty much filling the wheel wells but is it possible my B9 dropped in its shocks already after I hit some major bumps? will it vary how high they sit up on their shocks or are they all the same. I guess I can have them check at first service but my tires are almost touching the inside of the wheel wells making it look like i have no shocks at all left.

Also, these minor gripes are coming from a proud and mostly happy owner of a Beca so its not like I"m hating on the vehicle because I don't have one like you will see a few ppl in teh forums doing but I'm also not a biased owner who just justifies things and praises the car to no end just because he has one. So I hope you can appreciate that and remmeber that before you put down my opinion.

Also, believe me I also do realize that If I had a differen't suv I would be finding fault with that and lusting for a Beca so I realize that is part of it thinking the grass is greener in a diff vehicle, but they all have pros and cons. And as crazy as it may seem I find myself disappointed in teh low front end of the B9 and then in the same day admiring the looks and being back to loving it. So I think it depens from diff angles and what you are parked on and whats parked next to you etc. I think the same thing is with the FX, if you are parked next to a high truck it will make it look very low and car like. Plus it doesnt' help that i came from a slightly more truck like suv in teh pathfinder. Its all part of getting used to a new vehicle.

I dont like to be biased or convince myself that it is the best and everything else sucks which is what many ppl do to make themself feel better about what they purchased and are driving. But on a positive note, I should state that I am loving my Beca like 99%. Its fun to drive and I love the interior and exterior (aside from the few on again off again undecidedness of the low front bumper). I'm basically liking and even loving everything about teh car and enjoying it even when washing it way more then the few times I am doubting, questioning or getting down on the low front end so there. But that would be boring to praise what I am happy with in the car and much more fun to vent about what couple minor things I am less then thrilled with :P
  • jandj94jandj94 Posts: 17
    With all due respect to everyone- I have a 7 passenger Ltd model (no Nav nor DVD) and there is a subwoofer mounted to 'rails' on both sides underneath the driver's seat. It looks like the OEM (Panasonic) model I had under the passenger seat of my '02 Legacy wagon as a PIO. It is kind of suspended about 2" above the floor and 1" or so below the seat. Am I the only one with a subwoofer there? There also seems to be some strong bass activity in the rear P/S corner- either a woofer or subwoofer.
    Robert, thanks for the advice regarding the starter. Again, do you use the Subaru remotes, or a new aftermarket to start the car?
    - Jeff
  • subienewbie2subienewbie2 Posts: 458
    You must have a one of kind B9 LTD. It could be a collectors item.

Can you raise the power seat up and maybe take a photo and post it.

This I have to see.
  • b9driverb9driver Posts: 118
    Robert, thanks for the advice regarding the starter. Again, do you use the Subaru remotes, or a new aftermarket to start the car? >>

I use the aftermarket remote. And my 5 pass limited has the sub mounted in the rear, not under the seat!!!

Robert B
    NY
    I think we're getting spoiled. I remember when the best-selling SUV (Explorer) had just 160hp and noone was complaining. :P

By the way, I'm with Craig on this one - bumpers are out. Eye sores. So last decade. Catch an episode of OverHaulin', for instance, the first thing they do to clean up the look of a car is shave the bumpers.

Subaru did this with the Tribeca and then with the '06 Forester. Note the more streamlined front-end, with no bumper sticking out.

Subaru is among the first, but 3 years from now everyone will copy them and they will seem like pioneers.

That chop - not a fan. Headlights are too small. It's all out of proportion. I do like the black grille insert but that's it.

Saw a Blue one on the road this morning.

-juice
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Posts: 1,760
    looks like that trifecta took a george foreman straight right
  • tyyeh0tyyeh0 Posts: 43
    This will be my first Subaru, so I'd like to know what kind of deals people are getting on the Tribeca. It seems that invoice is only <$3k under the retail price. Are people getting good deals? If so, anyone in southern Cal who can point me to a good dealership?

Will be taking the 24hr test drive soon

thx...
    You can use www.fitzmall.com as a pretty good indicator of a "lowest" price on any Subaru in the current market. They are usually the best deal around, though you can often cajole a local dealer into coming close.

Craig
    I'd be curious to see the window sticker -- wonder if it was listed as a port installed option or maybe was a mistake...

There's nothing stopping the underseat sub from being installed in any Tribeca, it just seems like Subaru is only pitching it as an option for non Ltd models.

As we have noted in other forums, some people mount a sub under *both* front seats!!

Craig
  • photoguy2photoguy2 Posts: 164
    "As we have noted in other forums, some people mount a sub under *both* front seats!! "

Oh my, I'm getting tingly all over.... :blush:
    My Miata supposedly has thumpers, i.e. sub-woofers in the seats where you are supposed to "feel" the bass. Doesn't work too well, of course it's 12 years old now.

-juice
  • kmartinkmartin Posts: 427
    My dealer says they are now available, even though Subaru told them it would be August. The quoted me $99 plus $60+ for install. Does that sound accurate?

-Karen in AZ-
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,252
    looks like that trifecta took a george foreman straight right

Huh? You're swapping the OEM grill for the lid off a George Foreman Grilling Machine? I guess you are trying to make the Tribeca more of a Lean Mean Phat Hauling Machine, eh?

Maybe you can explain it at the chat tonight, Swampy. Try to keep it to 10 words or less though. :-)

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• katwaykatway Posts: 19
    "Again its weird as the B9 looks diff in diff situations and where and what its parked next to but sometimes especially because of the front it just starts to look too low and un suv like and not very substantial and starts to remind you of a toyota matrix or some other high wagon which ppl already associate subaru with."

I must say I'm a huge Subaru driving technology fan and Outback owner, but I simply don't understand the design of the B9X. It looks too much like a low end Toyota Matrix or Pontiac Vibe from the rear. I simply couldn't spend $30K + on a vehicle that looks like a larger version of a $16K car. I really wish Subaru would have gotten the design right. I really have to question their market research on this one.

I've heard that Saab may make a version of the B-9X and I look forward to seeing it. Like i've said, I love Subaru engineering, but something has to be done about the aesthetics.
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Posts: 1,760
    (xlation) looks like the trifecta got its nose smashed in by a george foreman straight right ( boxer ya know )
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,252
    I knew that - I was just trying to sneak in a Subaru Crew Chat promo. Carry on. ;)

Steve, Host
    (The chat link is on the left)

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

They quoted me $99 plus $45 for install. I have always gotten a favorable discount on accesories when I had my Saab. My "Becca" was purcahsed in the same family of dealerships so I'm expecting to get a discount from the Subaru folks as well. If you are getting all of your service done there I would be bold and tell the parts departement or your salesperson that you would expect to get a favorable discount on any accesories you purchase from them. Heck they are making money each time you are in for service and you will pay the labor to install them...
    Katway -

It's funny how each person has an opinion about style.. I am very familiar with the cars you liken the "becca" to and though I can certianly see a vague resemblence I don't feel they are even close. I'm very happy with the styling and design of the vehicle. Most people I speak with or that see the vehicle and want to know what it is are all thinking it is more like a Lexus. I can't tell you how many have likened it to that vehicle.

So for me the bottom line is... you can't please everybody when it comes to design and style.

I love the forum poster who still calls it the trifecta... he hates the looks... my question is why then is he still reading and posting in this forum? Seems to me if he hates it that much it would be a waste of time.
    Swampy is our resident heckler. Oddly, we still like him. :surprise:

His one liners provide comic relief, anyway. It would only bother me if I felt his comments were mean-spirited, and I don't think that's usually the case.

Subaru will take some heat because the Forester came out so boxy and the Tribeca really looks nothing at all like it. There's no family resemblance to any other Subaru, so the old school guys will take a while to get used to it.

Bob has a design background, so he warmed up to it sooner than most.

I liked it because I have an affinity for Alfa Romeos, the 156 being the most beautiful sedan ever built IMHO.

Also, the early spy shots we saw were just plain ugly, so the final product was a pleasant surprise. I mean, what if it looked like this?

-juice
  • b9driverb9driver Posts: 118
    Well, some people won't like the looks of a car and that's fine. When everyone likes the looks, you know it's one BORING design. So far our B9 has garnered more compliments than my restored MG used to. It's really been remarkable. I thought the car was strange looking and different. My wife thought it was retro-futuristic. People actually come over, stop at lights and roll down windows-they love it! No one, not ever, complimented my very nice 30th Anniversary Outback Limited. No one ever complimented my friend's Forester. A good friend has a WRX, made as tastefull as possible, but it's not getting any attention either. Here in the land of New York, the land of Camrys, X5s, Muranos and Highlanders...my Tribeca has drawn regular applause for it's design. Now I know there are folks who don't like it, mostly younger I might add. And that makes it all the more beautiful. As I said in another forum, if you don't like the B9's looks, just buy a Lexus RX330 or BMW X5. I promise the neighbors won't be offended. They won't even notice.

Robert B
    NY
  • newtosubienewtosubie Posts: 39
    Robert,
    Very well said! Love the retro-futuristic reference - I would have to agree with the wife. The subie/beca group here is great, tons of valuable info. If Swampy is the resident heckler, call me the resident lurker. At least until I can get my hands on one of these 'becas. And when I do, I'll have made a VERY informative, well researched purchase, thanks to all of you and the good folks at Edmunds for this great resource.

Cheers! :)