Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    How do you get the front map light assembly off? I want to get in there so I can tap in and wire up my radar detector.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    It's fairly easy to pop off the trim panel below the console, on the passenger side.

Been there, did that, same results...can't see much. Haven't had time to do the whole disassmble thing. I do have the instructions and most of the wiring diagrams, now...DL'd 'em from the techinfo.subaru.com web site a few weeks ago. Still, can't make out all the details until I see a couple of things for myself.

-Karen in AZ-
  • efinchefinch Member Posts: 13
    No regrets. Absolutely love it. Previous vehicles Outback Sedan and Outback limited wagon. This is a real luxury SUV. More luxurious than i thought yet very sporty feeling as far as the drive goes. Quiet, peppy, smooth.

Pros: decent gas mileage for its size/weight, smooth solid engine and feel.

Cons: none really. I probably would have liked memory seats but not complaining for the price.
  • b9driverb9driver Member Posts: 118
    Nicest car I've ever owned. Quite, smooth, fun and comfortable. We bought the 5 passenger model and installed a better DVD system and the car is PERFECT. NAV system is slick, but not worth 2K plus being forced into unusable seats. Since we'll trade in two years I'm happy to wait for an even better Tribeca...while driving this one. So...here are my nits. I have far more for competing cars.
    Just completed 500 mile drive to Ohio and drove FAST making 21MPG on the way there and drove NORMAL coming back doing 24 MPG. Excellent!
    Things to be improved:
    1) Car needs more power, about 30 HP would do, but it's about average as is and quite sporty at higher speeds.
    2) Stock DVD system is a mistake. Avoid it even if you go with NAV.
    3) Rearward view is not great.
    4) Backup lights are rather weak.
    5) Telescoping wheel and memory seats need to be added.
    6) No easy Sat. radio provision for non DVD versions.
    7) 3rd row seats in 7 pass model are bordering on silly.
    8) 2nd Row seats should have another 3 inches of legroom.
    9) Rear cargo cover was probably taken from leftover Yugo parts.
    10) Trip reset button in VERY silly spot.
    11) No Auto up on drivers window!
    12) Dark leather looks cheap, but breathes better. Nicer tan leather doesn't breathe.
    13) Interior plastic a bit too plasticky.
    14) Good stereo, but stock subwoofer is weak.
    15) Radio controls on wheel are still to easy to hit.
    16) Radio tuner on wheel won't work the presets!
    17) No easy power socket for a radar detector...it's a long reach.
    18) bad segmented storage tray design aft.

There's probably more, but go drive a RX330 or BMW X5, Murano or even the fat VW and tell me how the Tribeca stacks up. Subaru has made their first SUV look more evolved than all of the others combined. The Lexus is certainly very nice, but they took several models to get there. The Tribeca is as good or better on the try and for less money.
    And in my humble opinion the Tribeca, along with the Murano are the only SUVs with any style at all.

Robert B
    NY
  • guenter62guenter62 Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    we have import the new subaru b9 tribeca to the switzerland and we will switch the temperatur display from US (F) to Canada (C)

Regards
    Guenter
  • bt2bt2 Member Posts: 11
    Juice

If you use your new Garmin Street Pilot c320 in your tribeca, where will you mount/place it?

Also, how did you decide on the Garmin c320? There's lots to choose from.
    After logging a steady 22.3 MPG on the way to Ohio from NY I was curious how well I could do by driving at more reasonable speeds. I opted for manual mode amd simply left the car in 5th. Even on long grades going through PA, 5th gear could still handle 80 mph easily. I averaged 75 MPH back to NY and recorded a whopping 25.3 MPG.
    I'm really pleased with the Tribeca's compromises between power and economy. More power would be welcome, but it would probably have a MPG penalty. 25.3 MPG is great for a 4000 LB car with 2 people, a baby and a weekend's worth of luggage. Frankly, driving at MUCH higher speeds and averaging 21-22 MPG is pretty good as well.

Robert B
    NY
  • kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    Can you tell us what brand/model of sonar sensors you have insalled? Let us know if you like them, 'cuz I have been looking into the same idea.

-Karen-
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Robert: don't get arrested! :P

popa_sez: you sure that tank is empty? Where do you get a full tank of gas for just $30 nowadays? That is *CHEAP*!

My NAV, and reasoning behind my purchase: ateixeira, "Navigation / GPS Systems" #259, 4 Aug 2005 4:08 pm

Basically we don't have the budget for a new vehicle right now. This bridges the gap until we do, or until a used Tribeca comes within our budget.

-juice
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    Robert B,
    I've read with interest all your posts regarding the B9 and they are well written, entertaining, and informative, the type of posts that do belong on Edmunds Subaru crew boards; HOWEVER (and this is a HUGE HOWEVER), I find that the speeds you constantly mention driving at are not just illegal, but do not belong on a public road. I like speed as much as any Subie driver here (we are all enthusiasts, after all), but what you are doing is dangerous not just to yourself, but to other drivers on the roads with you. I noticed one part of your bio said "raising my son"; well, speaking as a father of a 15 year-old boy, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE SLOW DOWN for his sake. I'm sure he would tell you the same thing...he should.
    Sincerely,
    Serge
    Are YOU going to install the rearward facing sonar sensors or is your dealer going to do it?
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Check your on-board computer setting preferences. It's probly in the owner's manual somewhere.

Bob
  • subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    In defense of Robert B - don't judge someone if you do not know the skill level of the driver and the road conditions at the time.

I rather be on the road with skillful fast drivers rather than a bunch of incompetent people who putt along at 50MPH in the left lane or do not signal lane changes or ride your [non-permissible content removed] etc.

Speed does not necessarily cause crashes - bad drivers do.

In Europe 100 + MPH is average and the accident rates and highway deaths are no different than ours - maybe less. Most Americans lack good driving skills compared to the Europeans.

Slow is not always safe.

If he was driving at those speeds on a crowded road I would probably agree with you but since you do not know - you should apologize to him.
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    Edmunds Membership Agreement...

Illegal and Objectionable Activities

Edmunds.com does not allow the promotion of illegal conduct or activities or fraudulent schemes in Forums. Specifically, you may not advocate illegal conduct, such as street racing, reckless driving or driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Furthermore, you agree to not engage in any illegal activity in connection with your Postings.
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    Driving a 4,400 lb tall vehicle at 125 MPH on public roads - you need to have your license revoked. :mad:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Let's get back on track in here now please.

Steve, Host
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
    Auto window UP is not found on vehicles anymore due to Safety reasons. a few kids or Dogs got caught in the window and choked to death. also is why all the new controls are designed that you have to pull up on the switch to get the window up. so that a child kneeling on the arm rest cant hit the up switch by accident.

what I do miss is ALL 4 windows with auto down. My Pacifica had that feature which is nice when you pull up to someone to ask directions and they are on the passenger side of the car.
    1. where is the stupid reset button for the odometers?
    2. is there a way to always display the outside temp on the NAV Map screen?
    Not true, lots of european cars still have them, they add pinch protectors for safety purposes.

VW has had a hard time with window regulators and it's a common complaint among those owners, but others brands have it figured out.

-juice
    Auto UP is not found on vehicles anymore due to Safety reasons. a few kids or Dogs got caught in the window and choked to death. also is why all the new controls are designed that you have to pull up on the switch to get the window up. so that a child kneeling on the arm rest cant hit the up switch by accident. >>

Yikes! That's a good point.

Robert B
    NY
    Not true. A lot of new cars have auto-up windows; our '04 CRV has an auto-up driver's window.

Bob
    OK I stand corrected. on the windows..

but can someone tell me about the two questions I posted?

1. where is the stupid reset button for the odometers?
    2. is there a way to always display the outside temp on the NAV Map screen?

Rest button is hard to see, but it's there near the instruments. I did use it.

I don't think you can display the outside temp with the map showing. If so, it's a really dumb design.

Bob
    thanks for the answer on the air filter and break in. I usually change the oil early right after break in on all my cars. its a small price to pay for peace of mind to get the first oil out early.

I traded the Pacifica in because it had 52K miles and I didnt trust the transmission would hold up over the 70k extended warranty I had. the trade in sucked by about $1k less value then a Highlander I owned before it. I figured better get rid of it before I had any problems. the transmission always shifter harder then I thought it should and the suspension was not inspiring that it would hold up well to 100k mile mark.

I like the K&N air filters because they are recleanable. so when ever you want a clean filter just pull it out, clean and reoil and poof new filter :)
  • foxbat121foxbat121 Member Posts: 211
    Obviously, there needs to be a sensor to stop the window when something is jammed in the window. It costs a few more cents. That and the fact SOA got sued in the past for its auto up window in SVX ( a few fingers got cut off because of the special window SVX has )makes SOA very reluctant to offer such function in any new vehicle.
    How much does a new air filter cost and how often do you need to change them? From what I read, if you use K&N filter in a WRX turbo charged engine, you will actually lost a few horse powers.
  • mikejlmikejl Member Posts: 78
    The trip odometer button is between the speedometer and the tach. Push-and-hold to reset, push-and-release to switch between Trip A and Trip B. Resetting the tripmeter also resets the mpg calculation.

The temp does not display on the NAV screen. It's annoying, but I've gotten used to hitting the audio or info button for a couple of seconds to check the temp, then back to the map button for NAV.
    Tribeca owner - Are you burning 87 octane, 89 octane or 91 octane.
    Google "VW Window Regulator Problem" and you will get tons of hits. But it does not mean all the designs are bad.

-juice
    For those interested, I recorded 25.3 MPG using 91 octane.

Robert B
    NY
  • drjochen1drjochen1 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for all the input. We purchased a 7 Pass, DVD, Nav today.
    So far, so good...
    We made 385 miles on one tank. readout said we had 30 left, but I was worried. This was at a recorded 25.3 MPG on premium fuel averaging around 75 MPH. Wre have 3K on the car. This was all highway, manual mode locked into 5th gear at ALL TIMES. No downshifts.

Robert B
    NY
  • photoguy2photoguy2 Member Posts: 164
    I don't have them installed yet. I'll call and find out the brand. I do know they are black and will look fine as such on my Seacrest Green vehicle.
    The Dealers Accessories Shop will do it and thus warranty it.
  • loveipos1234loveipos1234 Member Posts: 15
    Were you coasting downhill with a strong tail wind. I have a hard time believing some of the mileage statements, both here, and on other boards.
  • chassolchassol Member Posts: 95
    I for one believe the folks reporting the mid 20 plus are in fact getting them under the stated conditions.

With 80% interstate and 20% city @ 790 miles on the Tribeca we are averaging 20.9+ MPG. At 2,500 - 3,000 miles I fully expect to get 22-23 MPG.

I am going to change the oil at 3,000 miles.

Tips that work.........

1. Use synthetic oil and you should see a 10% increase in mileage.
    2. Keep the tires at the recommended tire pressures. Get a good tire gauge.
    3. Change air filter every 15,000 miles instead of 30,000.
    4. Did you know that if you press your gas pedal down about 1/3 to 1/2 way you can get a good kickdown gear that is actually better than "flooring it"? - Try it.
    5. Every 7,500 miles put a can of good fuel injector cleaner in the tank before you fill the gas tank.
    6. Don't "hot rod" it alot.
    7. Use the stated gas not lower grade.

Doing this in our Auto 05 Legacy GT LTD we got 27.5 miles a gallon at 75 miles an hour on the interstate. Average overall is 21.9 - 22.9 MPG.

The GT turns 80 MPH at almost exactly 3,000 RPM. The Tribeca turns 80 MPH at 2,700 - 2,750 RPM.

Here in Florida our super unleaded (93 octane - no 91 available here) just went to $2.659 a gallon. Here you might get away with mixing half mid grade (89 octane) and half super (93 octane) = 91 octane which would be exactly what Subaru calls for.
    Were you coasting downhill with a strong tail wind. I have a hard time believing some of the mileage statements, both here, and on other boards>>>

I'd be happy to post a pic of the MPG average readout. Driving normally 70-80 MPG gets us better than 22 MPG for certain. But when we tried the manual mode 5th gear, it went to 25.3 as there were no downshifts ever. Driving through PA we never had a problem with hills either. Around town, MPG is not so hot, but I'm pretty pleased with it on the open road. Initially the range readout would say 270 Miles with a full tank. We drove around town today and it says 380 with a full tank.
    It just not something I'd be interested in lying about. I'd be pretty happy with the 22-23 MPG as well.

Robert B
    NY
  • loveipos1234loveipos1234 Member Posts: 15
    If you are getting that, great. I had a 98 Limited GT 160 HP, averaged about 18, got about 23 all Highway. Then I got a 2001 Outback Limited, 165 HP. Mileage was about 17 city, 22 Highway. Now I have a 2003 Pilot 240 HP 6, get about 16 city, 21 Highway. I have never, ever got the mileage stated on the sticker. I also get about 1.5 MPG better in the summer than in the Winter here in Chicago.
    I have never, ever got the mileage stated on the sticker. >>

I never heard that before. Everyone I know has learned tricks to better MPG beyond build specs. My 1999 Outback Limited easily got 26-28 on the highway when I controlled downshifts. I even found that I could get good MPG on my old Crown Vic cop car when I drove it carefully.

Robert B
    NY
    I, for once, used cruise control travel on local high way @ 65mph and get exactly 25 mpg. However, on the way back, it was stop and go and mileage went down to 17 mpg. The car runs very efficient at highway speed. If you do stop-n-go, it will be like my current mileage: 15 mpg.
    I have never, ever got the mileage stated on the sticker.

EPA recently changed the way of evaluating gas mileage so that sticker mileage is more close to real life mileage.
    "Did you know that if you press your gas pedal down about 1/3 to 1/2 way you can get a good kickdown gear that is actually better than "flooring it"? - Try it."

I'm glad others are starting to say this... I too have found that my 0-60 complaint is not what it used to be and it is because I am NOT flooring it but rather feathering it up to speed. It does in fact feel like I'm getting up to speed faster.
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    If you are consistently getting poor gas mileage, look to see how many "zero MPG" events occur in your normal driving. That would be idling, frequent stopping, etc... Also, what speeds do you drive at on the highway??

My 05 OB XT will get the EPA rated 25mpg (or better) if I take a long highway trip and drive reasonably. If I drive a bit faster (with traffic basically), MPG plummets to around 21, even on long highway trips.

My 02 Outback with the H6 (the previous 212HP version) got about 22mpg in mixed driving, but did as good as 30mpg on long trips. It actually got as good or better gas mileage when compared to my previous H4 Outback.

Craig
    I'm about to order the plastic bug deflector and was wondering how it's installed. Anyone put one on?

Thanks,

Robert B
    NY
    For those interested I'm doing some high speed driving and handling tests on my Tribeca on my father's estate roads (closed roads, folks). I'll report my impressions and some 0-60 times as well. I've detected an improvement on the B9s handling and speed overall since new, so I'm curious to see how she does at the extremes.
    My father's new Forester XT is now broken in and I'm curious to see how she does as well.
    Here's a pic of my happy old man with his new 06 XT!
    http://members.aol.com/bobsprit/images/dadsubieweby.jpg
    Looks good in red!
    And a pic of our B9 in the best color!
    http://members.aol.com/bobsprit/images/cc2.jpg

Robert B
    NY
    Just noticed the other night that front cup holders in center console have little blue lights on the bottom when light is on. Overall, the interior lighting are very thoughful and wonderfully done.
    Yup, I installed mine myself. The directions suck but if you spend a bit of time working through it before doing it it can be done. There are 6 (if I remember right) clips that fit on the hood which sit on silicone rubber pads that adhear to the hood surface. The bug deflector is then attached to the clips. All can be taken off with no damage to the hood.
    YMMV as they say. Good to hear a lot of reports above 20 though. :)

Congrats to the doctor.

-juice
    did you notice the light above the shifter on the car roof. in between the left and right reading lights? its a little RED LED that points straight down at the shifter area. I noticed only when at night I adjusted the mirror and wondered where the red light was coming from that lit up my wrist.

even with interior lighting level at max it barely makes it to the shifter area. not sure what they were thinking, ambiance lighting? to get both this light and the cup holder lights bright enough to see I need to almost max out the interior light level (the rotating wheel on the left side of the steering wheel on the dash)
    well the K&N probably doesnt breath any easier but its very easy to clean and reoil and its like having a new air filter when ever you feel like it. say every 5k miles if you want. that should keep the mileage per gallon up... all you do is get the cleaner kit from PepBoys from K&N. spray on the cleaner, let sit, hose off, let dry and spray oil on the filter from the supplied can. done :)

I would think that the car will adjust slightly to the extra air flow just like it adjust for colder air vs very warm humid air which both change the amount of fuel/air ratio the car needs to adjust for. its not like you are replacing the exhaust.