Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• corvettegregcorvettegreg Member Posts: 11
    have my ezpass right behind the mirror, just below the detail screened on the glass and it works great. I don't think we have the metal in the windshield
  • audreymaudreym Member Posts: 103
    Hi! Has anyone with the Rear Seat DVD figured out the aux port yet? Can you hook up an MP3 player and play it through all of the speakers? or will it restrict it to the rear seats only??

I hate that this is so important to me - but all of the CDs are in mothballs now that we have switched to digital music.

Thanks so much!!!
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Yes, it plays through all speakers. I know the feeling, I am hooked on my iPod!

Craig
    No metal in the windshield. Ford did that in the early 90s (it was a defroster film) but I don't think they offer it any more.

CRaig
  • audreymaudreym Member Posts: 103
    Thank you so much Craig! I was holding my breath on that one ;)
  • aka1aka1 Member Posts: 110
    The recent Pontiac Montana (transport), Chevy Venture, and Olds Silhouette had that film between layers in the windshield as well, used not for heating, but as a radio antenna/ UV blocker. They were notorious for making radar detectors virtually useless, not to mention EZ pass devices as well.
  • kizkiz Member Posts: 2
    My thoughts exactly. Just bought my wife a Tribeca today (see price paid forum if you are interested) and the number one missing feature is memory seats. Would love memory mirrors and pedals too, but lets just start with memory seats. Should be standard on the LTDs or at the very least an option.

Why the great need? My wife is 5 feet on a good day and I am over 6. :)
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
    well here are some pics of the B9 sporting 20 inch wheels with 45 profile tires. note the first pic that its barely sticking out further about 1/4 inch then the OEM tires.

Here you can see the OEM in front and the new wheels in back

Here is the completed look
  • subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    They look great. How is the ride and handling with the lower profile tires?

What is the brand and model of the wheels and tires?
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Yes, they do look really great! :) What size tire are you using? 255/45x20? Have you noticed a difference in the ride and/or handling?

Bob
    Based on my rough calculations the 20" setup has a rolling radius of about 24.5 inches vs the stock radius of 23.5.

Anyone know how much that throws off the speedo & would it affect any other control systems?
  • gsx95gsx95 Member Posts: 18
    first post my wife just purchased a b9 with nav/rse 7psgr limited... we traded in a murano SE also with NAV..

Since i like to tinker, sat i decided to dive into the radio/nav screen and GPS all in one...

TV screen is Kenwoord
    Radio is Panasonic
    Navigation Unit is an older kenwood model

Big bonus for the folks with the same setup...

*Nav Unit where the dvd goes, on the back has an optional connector for an IR remote and driver voice commands. I dont know if the software that is installed in our units supports voice.. the MIc cost 99, i think i will give it a try

*TV/LCD here is the bonus, it has an additional RCA video input, thats right i connected my archos mpeg 4 player there and got video, after pressing aux multiple times, no sound. The no sound makes it interesting, since it leads me to think that some where there is an undiscovered Aux in that Subaru just did not connect.

*Radio, i found the connecter where the audio from RSE/Aux feed audio into the radio...one could easily tap into the rear aux here.. i think, need to test. the subaru wiring diagram just is not up to par. if anyone has the complete manual on pdf please let me know. i did the 72hour thing and just got frustrated downloading all the bits and pieces.

hey if you know what you are doing with schematics, please ping me.

All this to fix some missing features that i think such an expensive car should have..

Rearview Camera with reverse sensor
    Aux audio input where it can be used

etc...
  • rsilbertrsilbert Member Posts: 2
    I can reset the 1 hour time using the setup on the Calendar page (it only shows setup for a minute when you 1st turn the car on) but is it the GPS or what cause 5 minutes later it's back to the old time?
  • jerrys2jerrys2 Member Posts: 189
    no problem with the EZ pass ... :)
    so you have the NAV system? if so set it up in the NAV setup menu. personal settings I think .. not the calendar page.
    went from stock 255/55 R18 to 255/45R20. they are exactly the same diameter. dropping the 10% of the profile... (the height = Width 255 X Profile .45 X (.5* Radius 20") = OEM Width 255 X .55 profile x .5 x 18")

so no difference in dimensions hence no affect on speedo :shades:

as far as ride is the same, a little more road noise then the stock tread but not noticeable. the handling in a turn is about 15 to 20% more responsive. it turns more like a car then originally did... I do hear the road expansion joints more but still experimenting with tire pressure. the sidewall max pressure on these tires is 50 psi :surprise: they shipped to me with 37+ psi. I dropped them 36 psi but once the temp cools down again here it should be 35 psi all around.

and I was excited at first no warning lights on the TP sensor. then I hit 45 mphs and it went in to flash warning mode :mad: I dont notice it but by next summer I probabaly will find a set of 4 sensors.

hmm what other questions :confuse:
    oh yeah, tires were mentioned by me further up in the thread here, so scan back and I even have a link to the mfg website for this tire which are made for SUVs.

I got the tires mounted on the wheels at DiscountTireDirect.com Online (they have stores but none on the NE coast) plus cheaper to mail order. No TAX and Free Shipping. Ask for extention 353 Dave. tell him Earl sent ya with the B9 Subaru. One of the wheels arrived with a less then steller finish. he emailed me a return UPS label and had a replacement wheel mounted and shipped the same day!
    sweet info! I traced it out on the diagram but have not had the time to tear into the dash area. what did you need to get to the radio area? what panels did you remove? I want to find the parking brake signal wire that allows you to view the DVD on the front screen without being in park. its just like the aftermarket Kenwood decks that you just need to ground the parking brake sensor to fool the system... ;)
    255/55 = side wall height of 140.25mm or 5.52"

255/45 = side wall height of 114.75mm or 4.52"

With the new 255/45 you lose 1" of side wall & add 2" of wheel diameter.

Therefore if the above is corrrect the radius is one inch larger than OEM, which means the speedo for one is off but I have no idea how that difference is calculated

Is my math wrong?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's a tire size calculator here that'll give you speedo differences. (miata.net)

Steve, Host
    Thanks - That answered my question.

My math was wrong. There is no meaningful difference.

Live and learn.
    connector i119 on the back of the TV unit 16pin connector pin 13 gy. i was first playing with the parking brake..but that left the brake light on. i started thinking this might interfere with the VDC..
    you know i still want the VDC to work it will save me from a roll-over while wathing a dvd, talking on the phone and shaving. Safety first.

getting to the TV unit is easy

* Remove the Vent, start from radio side and hinge up torwards the wind shield
    * Diconnect the Hazzard switch
    * remove the Tv/Nav screen protector AC-46. i found it very hard to remove it in the manner described in the manual. i could not get it off.. after looking that the screen protector for a few minutes, it hit me.. the thing fits in there like window molding, no clips at the bottom. starting at the center i simply pushed it away from the plastic, think of popping a tire of a rim.
    *remove the SRS warning display two screws
    *remove the door ajar display two screws
    *remove the four screws holding the TV thats it.

from start to finish it should take you less than 20minutes
  • era174era174 Member Posts: 67
    as a happy owner of 2006 legacy, my next vehicle might be 2011 b9 tribeca if it has the following as standard or at least as options:

1) hybrid
    2) second & third row side airbags
    3) third row curtain airbags
    4) knee airbags (driver & front passenger)

audi a4 & vw passat have rear (second) seat side airbags as options.

volvo xc90 has third seat curtain airbags.

lexus rx 400h as knee airbags.

the extra airbags might cost additional $ 1,000 - 1,500. they are worth every penny.
    the math error is you forgot to multiply the wheel size by 1/2. its 1/2 for the radius plus the sidewall size :shades:

plus why do they measure tires in metric width but wheel rim size in inches :surprise: so obviously convertion is also necessary ;)
  • megreyhairmegreyhair Member Posts: 154
    The voice command module won't work. I checked the UK version of the nav and they have an extra menu option for voice commands that B9 doens't have. So don't bother spending $99 for it. I found a few places that sells them for less but decided not to because it will not work. :(

I think the tv/nav control unit allows a rearview camera input (at least the UK version does). Did you notice an input for that?
    do you think the menu option would appear when the mic is plugged in? maybe it scans the port and hides the option if the mic is not present?
    I do not think so.

I spoke to the manufacturer and they told me voice control was not possible with the Subie version
  • paulsgtpaulsgt Member Posts: 30
    Hi folks,
    Our 2001 Outback LL Bean now has 96,000 miles and feels like it's time to move on. Wife wants the B9. I would like more of a car-like vehicle. Is there anyone here who has made a similar move and can relate their feelings/experiences?

Thanks!

Paul in MN.
    About the only thing I can say is that the B9 will probably ride and handle better than your 01 Outback, so it may be more car like than you expect!

Craig
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Those looks fantastic. Nice upgrade. Congrats.

-juice
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    I can't give you feelings/experiences, but Car and Driver tested the B9 Tribeca and the Outback XT. Tribeca actually handled better, braked in a shorter distance, and was quieter. So to me that says the handling will be at least as car-like as the Outback. Of course, compared to the turbo, the B9 Tribeca was slower. Engine performance is probably similar to your Bean. The H6 engine has more HP now, but the B9's heavier.
    As far as dimensions, the B9's four inches wider than Outback, but I believe only one inch longer, so it's not gonna be a monster to maneuver.

Personally, I think the new Outback is quite handsome, inside and out (especially with the jumbo-sized moonroof), and the Tribeca's a bit more modern and stylish. If you test drive a B9, check out a new Bean while you're on the lot. ;) With either one, you get a great vehicle.

If you end up leaning toward Outback, go for an '06, rather than '05. Subaru strengthened some side portions of the car, and it (tested in Legacy form) posted the highest results in its class in IIHS crash testing. It was good for '05, but now is the best.

Here are the test results pages of the Car and Driver reviews:
    B9 Tribeca

Outback XT
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Don't forget to check out Karen's page, she's got links to a whole bunch of Tribeca reviews, including Edmunds'.

-juice
  • rsilbertrsilbert Member Posts: 2
    Thanks a whole lot. I just didn't figure via anything available in the manuals (& to me they are sparse on NAV options)using the calendar setup option was the wrong way to set the time. In 1 second using the personal settings it was fixed. It seems to me they shouldn't have a time adjustment option in that calendar setup that is useless.
    >>I think the tv/nav control unit allows a rearview camera >>input (at least the UK version does). Did you notice an
    > input for that?

yes, noticed the input tested with a video player.. it works just fine. i was able send video to the front screen, it will not feed the rear screen.
  • shane850shane850 Member Posts: 36
    I am thinking of putting studded tires on my Tribeca as I have found some 255/55-18. Today I read the owners manual and it states to put studless snow tires on for winter.

Has anyone tried studded tires on theirs yet? If so, any clearance problems?

Also, it mentioned you needed to get your chains from Subaru. Has anyone tried "S" class chains? In Washington and Oregon you are required to carry chains if you travel the mountain passes in the winter.

Thanks for any help.

Shane
    Earl,

I am curious to what model wheel those are?? They look very good with the Titanium!!

Shane
  • kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    I switched form a Forester to an OB to a Tribeca. You will definitely enjoy the extra legroom, higher/better visibility, and refinements the Tribeca offers over the OB & Forester. Drive one and you'll be hooked, I would bet.

-Karen in AZ-
  • x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    I'm using Sylvania Silver star low beams and fog lights and they do look much whiter(which is better to me) and brighter.

for the high beams I got some other whitish blue bulbs that were cheap but also look good and work well plus the blue casing of them though many say isn't good looks cool in the housing reflecting around in the casing and since the high beam bulb is more exposed and less covered.
    mine came on, one colder and rainy night. I read in the manual that for every 10 degree drop in temperature you need to add 1 pound of air to the tires? or something like that.

I think it was just because of the cold and it seems to have gone off now. When I get a chance I'll have to check my tires and adjust them properly with air, 33 in front 32 in back, i'll have to remmeber what because i havne't noticed on the door plate... where is that?
    crap, that sucks and is part of the front end being so low. Since i've already had a fender bender in my front corner bumper area that I think is the cause of some creaking i'm getting during breaking which I guess in in teh brakes but seems mostly on that side of the incident, that or its in teh shocks or just the bumper wheel well area itself moving around or a combination of a few areas, brakes shocks. who knows but it kinda sucks and haven't had time to have it checked out though auto body place said they will look at any concerns you have even after the work.
    its on the driver door it self not the car panel label but the label that is on the bottom back of the driver door where you find the recommended Tire Pressure (pretty small text) :) but its printed.

also heard that the TPS is set for like only 3 lbs low from the tech at my dealer who went to the Subaru training for it.
    Shane,

They are VOXX wheels from www.discounttiredirect.com my rep was Dave at ext 353... he is now familiar with the subaru B9 :shades: so can tell you which wheels will fit.

The had only one tire in the size I needed and luckily was pretty good price. was cheaper then anything at TireRack plus TR did not list a 20" wheel for the B9.

The color of the wheels look actually closer to the Titanium Silver then the factory silver alloy wheels ...
    How would you get the image from a rear view camera to display. There are 2 potential obstacles. Doesn't it require the car be in park & brake set to view video on the front display? Also how would the camera be activated when you are in reverse?
  • b9erb9er Member Posts: 10
    that's great! you have any pix? wanna see how they look with the 20's on. thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Including your email address in posts risks your security by exposing it to those who will use it maliciously. If you would like your address available to other registered members, click on 'Preferences' and mark your email address 'public'.

The discussions are indexed by the search engines but your profile is only available to other members so the risk of spammers grabbing it there is greatly reduced.

Steve, Host
    Are those the Scorze in Hyper Black? Do you have any problems with vender rub or clearances?
    #6145 of 6148 Re: Tribeca goes to UK [jeffmc] by x5killer Nov 08, 2005 (12:59 am)

Replying to: jeffmc (Oct 31, 2005 8:17 pm)

European buyers expect higher quality interior plastics than their American counterparts, Subaru says."

what is that about? Yeah we americans prefer our plastics of a lower quality? That is a generalization and almost prejudice. Don't ppl from all countries prefer the higher quality interior plastics? thats crappy that Europe will get an interior with higher quality interior materials.

Between that and the fact that there is now a 5 pass with NAV. that I'm assuming you can get dvd with too. Its bad enough i had to get the 1800 dvd option that I dont use just to get the audio inputs that I do use every day but then had to get the 7 pass that i dont use the 3rd row to get NAV. getting the 5 pass would have lowered the price a little to help compensate for the 1800 dvd option just to get audio inputs, plus it would have made the vehicle lighter and that extra storage compartment you get where the 3rd row seats are. oh well, can't compensate for the joy I got out of the car since July. I would exchange it now if i could but I wouldn't have wanted to wait but still. I bet next they will have audio inputs without dvd and prob more conveniently up front some where then I'll be even more pissed.
    Being an early innovator was fun as the only one on the road and all the looks but now its going to suck with all these improvements or new choices etc.

At least it sounds like the back up sensors will be something that can be added to 06's. Though at first i thought it was a frill that I didn't need as i never had before and ppl were way to spoiled expecting back up cam but now seeing it in action on other suv , its just cool and most that have nav automatically have the back up cam now and again though i'm not the sissy back up cam complaining type as i figure if your good you can back up and didn't like all the ppl that were like oh my its so hard to back up and its such poor high up visibility wah. NOw i do have to agree that it would be helpful though is till dont really need it but it sucks being all timid when backing up and stopping short when youy really still have plenty of room especially in city parallel parking situations the cam would be great or at least sensors

As much as my beca is still an upgrade in many ways to my old car, seeing other cars and thier tech makes me just want more and see where the Tribeca is jut barely keeping up with the times and will soon be outdated. Though I think being able to record sat radio which I can with my portable xm pre order of the tribeca gift, and i'm not sure that built in units have a record feature, i think that not having built in sat radio option was another big mistake andmissing option by subaru on the tribeca. Ppl who are wanted to get a sat radio unit installed are wondering where its going to go so they didn't even make it easy for install as far as the design the currnt unit or other space
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Yeah, it's kind of a bummer we don't get a higher-quality interior. If it's any consolation, I'm sure the Europeans will be paying handsomely for their B9 Tribecas, whereas here in the States they're a pretty good value for what you get.

On the other hand, this means that eventually you'll be able to get your hands on Euro-spec Tribeca parts to modify yours, which is kind of exciting.
    yes VOXX Scorze Hyper Black but actually its more charcoal colored. yeah do a search for Wheels by size. pick 20" with 5-114" bolt pattern.

Pictures were posted in this msg above.

now that I have driven them for about 200 miles... after the tires scrubbed in ... The handling is definitely improved. the lag between turning the wheel and response of the B9 is noticeably improved :shades: cornering feels more confident as well. and lane switching is more fun :D as it seems more sure footed. the only downside is slightly more road noise with the tread pattern on the tires. but they are V rated and definitely stick better. the weight of the new tire and wheel is 64 lbs. I weighed the old OEM tires and they were 61 lbs so added about 2 or 3 lbs but haven't notice that it has affected rebound over bumps any.