Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    Rear sonar will also be an option. There's always aftermarket, too.

And in most cases - the after market solution for say rear sonar is equal to the factory version for probably $300 to $400 less. Just don't get the aftermarket from the new car dealer and you will save big bucks.
  • iloveallioiloveallio Member Posts: 13
    Does anyone know how the back of the radio looks on the b9? On the front it says that there's an aux input, which is usually located in the back if there is a rear entertainment system, however, I dont have that. How do they usually connect the rear entertainment system? Do they use a different radio? I doubt it. But it's possible. Does anyone know if there are any RCA input's on the back of the stock radio that comes with a Limited 5-seater b9?
  • pschreckpschreck Member Posts: 524
    I would like to know this also. It would be a lot nicer to hook up to behind the dash than to run a cable to the cargo area.
  • aka1aka1 Member Posts: 110
    If you do a search on previous posts, or scroll through previous messages there are detailed instructions on how get to the stereo, and yes there are A/V inputs back there. I have never tried to get back there, I have the 7Pas, NAV and DVD, so I just use the inputs in the back for Xbox or my i pod.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Jeff, you beat me to it, and I was going to point out the exact same two things.

Roof racks baby! My Forester can carry 5 sheet of plywood easily.

-juice
    Thanks aka1. I haven't found detailed instructions but I did find some references. I have the Nav/DVD 7 pass too. I've been looking for some decent cables that aren't incredibly expensive to come from the RES inputs but so far I've only found crap or $35+ Monster cables. I've grown fond of my dangley parts over the last 45 years and prefer to keep them intact. If my wife (who I am also fond of) finds out that I spent $35+ on cables I will no longer be able to describe them as intact.
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
    cables... Radio Shack used to sell at long run of Audio Cable that was OK quality for cheap (not their high end line). that way you can run it along the floor line more out of the way.

interior space. I found that the interior space of the Tribeca is more useable. I have a large dog cage that fits in the Tribeca and Highlander but would not fit in the Maranno because the width on the top of the Nissan is much more narrow. We can fit a square box (like much of my purchases tend to be) (ie large snow blower box, large TV box) have been square and tall. they would not have fit in the Nissan. :shades:
    Has anyone found a discount place on line selling the Limited edition Mesh front grill? I would like to replace my grill with the Mesh Style Grill painted in black :)

I think leaving the side grills stock but just the center Mesh would look nice... hope its a direct retrofit to the 2006 B9s
  • commonwheelcommonwheel Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where I can get and extra set of headphone for the rear seat entertainment dvd player?
    My parts dept said they would not have price or availability info until mid-summer.

SOA rep at show said mesh is directly replaceable on 06.

I will predict that center piece will cost 300 to 350 & side 100 to 150 each.

What do you think?
  • pa_tribecapa_tribeca Member Posts: 4
    This site sells them:

http://www.allsubaru.com/catalog.html

Click on the sound system button and scroll down
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Once they're available, the allsubaru.com site in pa tribeca's post #7118 above would probably also be a good choice among several for ordering the grill online. They're highly reputable, have been around a few years, and pricing is generally pretty good. They ship from the Seattle area.
    Here is another good site:

www.premiersubaruparts.com
    I was looking at the all subaru parts site and noticed that the 120 watt subs for some models are on sale but not the b9 version. is there a difference? can I buy the cheaper priced 120 watt subaru sub and use it in my b9?
    I'm not sure about an answer to your question but I have one of my own on the same subject if I may. Can the Tribeca subwoofer (or the cheaper model) be mounted under the passenger seat in vehicles with the nav under the drivers seat? :confuse:
    Remember the LTD has a sub- woofer in the right rear of the cargo area.

As to mounting the accessory unit - I think under the passenger seat is the standard location for B9s and the under the drivers seat for other Subies.

Each model may be pre-wired as well so if that is so that would limit where it must go.

That my best understanding.

But if you your service or parts manager they should be able to advise you.
    Thank you subienewbie2. I didn't even think about the subwoofer already being in the LTD. Makes me wonder if the wiring even exists to mount a second unit. I actually think the sound isn't too bad as it is. I don't hear like a dog anymore.
  • tls8thtls8th Member Posts: 27
    I haven't shopped at the other previous sites, but last week had my niece and her 9 year old coming to visit, always wanted an extra headphone just in case on a trip one 'i had broke with two kids that's corporal punishment in some countries. I called numerous dealers all said it would take one week. So in a hurry I ordered from 1stsubaruparts.com and paid for 2 day air. To my surprise received email after order to say it is on order from factory. It arrived in one week and even though it was cheaper on-line after extra shipping paid little more than dealer. So lesson learned I'll just order from dealer but see if they will match internet pricing.
    Good luck
    I had the RSE playing through the stereo speakers. I know that isn't ideal for the adults but it can at least quiet the kids down when the headsets don't work or are missing.
  • kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    Anyone had any luck finding these? My dealer claims it's not listed anywhere in their parts catalog, although I found it online listed as "Part #72880XA00A, Air Fitration/Pollen Filter for 2006 Tribeca B9, $27 (MSRP), $22 (online price)". Can anyone tell me if it's the same dimensions as the Outback or other Subaru model? Thx!

-Karen in AZ-
    Just a follow-up to my previous message...parts guy at my dealer typed in the number I gave him and it did come up. It's listed at $28.75. They will order some and call me...hope its the right one, cuz my allergies are a mess :-)

-Karen-
    Hi Karen

Don't want to be a wet blanket but I don't know if you will get much relief changing out the cabin filter.

I believe they are long lived and your B9 is only about 9 months olds. So I would suspect that putting in a new one may not help much. Do you keep your system set to recirculate? That would probably help.

Good luck.
  • nickelnickel Member Posts: 147
    Do any of you know where I can download the dust in the wind ad, and any other Tribeca ads?
  • tyyeh0tyyeh0 Member Posts: 43
    Does anyone know when the 07's will be available?
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Not the definitive answer you were hoping for, but I think I remember reading they're out at the end of May. Maybe someone else can confirm that.
  • fjelffjelf Member Posts: 8
    just got back from the dealer and the puddle light components (only the lights and harness) are $300. Not sure I'm going to go that route. Still hoping for a kit.
  • nickelnickel Member Posts: 147
    According to Edmunds: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/About/articleId=109917 . A 3.5L Tribeca maybe? Or a turbo one?
    I just changed my oil at 1000 miles. Wanted to get the crud out. When do any experts here recommend going synthetic? I'm guessing 5000 to 10000 miles.
  • slazengerslazenger Member Posts: 99
    WRX STI Limited and Legacy Spec-B (unlimited this time around)
  • gavgav Member Posts: 3
    I have my B9 Tribeca for about 7 months and it has over 15,000 miles already. I am planning to give it the 15k mile service. Below are what my Subaru dealer recommended to replace spark plugs at 15k miles but the manual said to replace spark plugs at 30k miles. Should I follow my dealer or the manufacture?
  • gavgav Member Posts: 3
    I heard K&N Filter can improve the performance of my B9 Tribeca. Have anyone used it before? How is it? Someone said it would mess up the air flow sensor for some cars. Is that true?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the K&N Air Filters, bolt-on power? discussion while waiting for responses in here.

Steve, Host
    Hi, subienewbie2. We had an extremely dry winter (normally our "wet" season, but no rain for nearly 150 days) and then LOTS of rain for a week or so, so everything is in bloom right now. Probably doesn't help to have the moon roof open, either, but it's perfect weather here now :-) Between the dust and the pollen, I know it needs to be changed regularly in the desert, just like the engine air filters out here. Also, I have almost 16k miles now, and the owner' s manual says to change it around 15k. Besides, as we approach our first 100-degree day, I know I'll be using the AC and recirc more and have the windows up most of the time. They're only $28+ so I'll try it.

-Karen in AZ-
    Subaru, for sure. They're the ones providing you with a warranty, not the dealer, who has alterior motives (read: profit).

-juice
    Karen: I'm with you on this one. My filter was NAAAASTY when I replaced it. It was black, hard to believe it had ever been white, actually. :surprise:

Change it yearly. You're breathing that air.

-juice
  • aka1aka1 Member Posts: 110
    Just saw the new B9 ad on TV, was pretty cool. Talked about being one of the safest SUV's out there now.
    Yes someone already posted that they ordered a LTD with an extra subwoofer installed under the passenger seat (with NAV under the drivers seat)

Back to my original question :confuse:

Does anyone know the differences between models of Subwoofers from Subaru? why on Subaru parts site they show the same looking sub for under seat for a different model at half the price of the B9 version. same wattage and sub size?
    Thanks. Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your question.

Maybe the website artist simply didn't have a photo for the other model of subwoofer and just used what he had on hand. :confuse:
    ...the sincerest form of flattery.

Check out the CX9, I believe Mazda licensed the design of the rims and the gauge cluster, they're nearly identical.

-juice
  • tls8thtls8th Member Posts: 27
    Has anyone purchased an aftermarket trailer hitch other than dealer and if so where, price, did it come with wiring and what about the install?
    Don't plan on towing more than 1500 lbs
    thanks, tls
  • halfshafthalfshaft Member Posts: 3
    Hi

I've got an overnight test drive of a 2006 5 seater ltd with nav, I can put 100 miles on it tomorrow and then I have to decide. Maybe y'all can answer a couple questions.

Do you have to hit "I agree" on the nav screen every time you turn the car on? I'm never gonna switch to French, what's the point? (A search on "agree" didn't turn up anything)

Seat belt chimes. I tried clicking the seat belt in 25 times in 30 seconds, didn't work, chimes were back when I restarted it. Is this trick legit?

Auto-dimming rear view mirror. Sitting in a 7-11 parking lot an hour ago I couldn't see diddly. Put it in reverse and nothing changed, still couldn't see anything. Turned off the auto dimming and it wasn't any better. This worries me. Is this a defective mirror, or the norm?

The two displays on either side of the nav screen aren't ever going to do anything but tell me when a door's open or the status of the passenger air bag, are they? Can you turn them off?

There's a lot to like about this SUV. In the 30 miles home from Fitzmall, this particular vehicle seems pretty tight. I'll check it out more tomorrow but I'm liking it!

FWIW, I have a '99 Outback which has been a terrific car, except for the left front wheel. I've lost three wheel bearings and one axle in 150,000 miles, the last wheel bearing left me on the side of the road in upstate NY last month.

For all the times I've cursed them I want to stay with Sub because I trust their AWD.

Thanks for any advice, and it's pretty neat to find a crew on my side for a change.
    Raer View Dimming Mirror

I don't know if you have a defective mirror or not. But keep in mind unless there is a bright light shinning into the rear of the car the mrror is not in the dimming mode so turning it off should not make a difference.

Also the back end has privacy glass which is quite dark. So if you are backing up in a dark area and you are looking in the mirror which seems to have a bit of tint anyway and then through the privacy glass things should be hard to see. The back up lights are not much help.

The B9 has poor rear vision to begin with so my advice is when backing up turn around and look directly through the rear window.

The two displays on either side of the nav screen

They are what they are, can be a little annoying unless you ignore them.Don't know if they can be disconnected, but they can not be turned off.

The Seat Belt Chime - requires practice. The tab must actually click into place then be released by pressing the button on the buckle each time.

I finally found that you must be calm and not rush, Make sure you have lots of slack on the left belt. Have the ignition in the on position or have the engine running and and just start to click and release the proper number of times and that should do it.

DO NOT HOLD THE RELEASE BUTTON IN - so you can slide the tab in and out. You must let it lock then press release.

Good luck. It took me forever to get it right.
  • halfshafthalfshaft Member Posts: 3
    Thanks,

I think you're right about the mirror, I didn't think it through. It's nice to know the chimes can be defeated.
    For what ever it is worth - the day after I turned the chime off I was ticketed for not wearing my seat belt :cry:
  • corvettegregcorvettegreg Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone out there had paint problems? This Tribeca is my first Subaru and I love it but I have noticed a lot of small rust stains on the paint already after only 5000 miles.

The color is the metallic white. I bought it in November and since I live in the Northeast I found a warm place to get it in and applied 2 coats of wax for the winter. During the winter it got washed every 2 weeks or less, far more often than any other car or truck I have owned. I have never seen this situation in any of the 30 +/- cars I have owned.

The stains are about 1/8" in size and can be found on every panel on the car as well as in door jambs, etc. A little polish takes them right off, but I am really concerned what is going to happen over the next couple winters.

Does anyone know of a problem with this paint color?

:confuse:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sounds like rail dust. If the polish is taking the specs off fine, I think I'd strip the wax with some Dawn detergent and clay it. Then rewax.

You may want to visit the active Paint and Body Maintenance & Repair discussion to see if there's a risk of chemical damage to the paint while waiting for responses in here.

Steve, Host
  • excobramhoonexcobramhoon Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I recently settled for a B9 Tribeca after searching for some time to find a vehicle that was a seven seater, awd vehicle that didn’t look like a truck or bus. We’ve only done about 50 miles and are enjoying most of what it has to offer.

But…

In the interior my wife would like to put some wood trim over some of the silver metallic trim (plastic) on dashboard, doors and centre console that will scratch quickly when the kids get to it, which would also make it look like a more classy ride.
    I would like to give it a little more oomph.
    I would like running boards so that I can reach into the Roof Cargo Carrier, and although the look of the front of the car doesn’t bother me too much, I wouldn’t mind changing the grill.

Can anyone tell me where in the Washington DC. area I can have the interior silver metallic trim on dashboard, doors and centre console replaced with wood?
    Where I can have the performance boosted and some changes made to the looks of the front?
    And how much extra power does the K&N Filter alone give?
    Wood grain kits can be found on eBay.

I have no idea what to suggest about running boards. What about a folding step stool? It would have to look better than running boards on a Tribeca.

HP boost? Are you sure you need it?
  • newsubunewsubu Member Posts: 39
    After Easter dinner the kids took to the lawn to practice their golf swings. They need the practice, as one particularly nasty slice left a terrific crack in my front windshield, quickly spreading. Ouch!!! Will seek repair immediately, but just wondering about cost, replacement issues &/or problems after replacement I should be aware of. First blemish on my B9 Beauty, with 15,000 flawless, exhilirating miles!
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    Quickly Please.... How about some comments on actual gas mileage from some of you B9ers. Can get a 06 7 pass limited leather for approx 28,500 - 29,000 with 0 interest for 2 years or 2.9 for three. Just a little nervous vehicle won't get great gas mileage. Also, any comments from owners out there on whether they use premium or regular & what effect if any has their fuel choice on performance or consumption.