Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• iloveallioiloveallio Member Posts: 13
    Does anyone have a working link to show this image? I remember seeing it... but i was very interested in getting it again. Unfortunately, i didnt save the image... which was stupid of me... but i've been interested in putting in something similar to what this had. It'd help if anyone posted the image up!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    B9driver hasn't been in here since he sold his B9, but you could probably get ahold of him with a post over in Kia Sedona:

b9driver, "Kia Sedona (2006+)" #577, 7 Jun 2006 2:39 am

Steve, Host
  • ksmdnyksmdny Member Posts: 8
    I’ve been reading this forum for a couple of months, but this is my first post. My wife and I are looking to buy a bigger vehicle to accommodate our growing family. The child safety seats for our two boys pretty much take up the whole back seat so we are looking at a vehicle with three rows of seating to accommodate those occasions when we’ll have additional passengers. We’re currently on the fence as to whether to go with a minivan or a crossover SUV with 3rd row seating.
    One of the vehicles strongly in contention is the ‘06 Tribeca. (Our local dealer is advertising good clearance incentives right now.) I test drove it the other day and was impressed with the Tribeca’s fit, finish and handling. However, I have a couple of concerns about the ’06 Tribeca.
    The first concern is that the ‘06 has no back-up safety sensor. (I understand the ‘07 will – but a main reason I’m looking at the ‘06 is the end-of-year discounts.) The dealer says they don’t have the means to add a back-up sensor but suggests I go to an after-market shop to get it added. Does anyone know of anybody adding a back-up sensor to the 06 Tribeca? If so, were there any problems in doing so?
    Additionally, the dealer was evasive when I pressed him for an answer on whether adding an aftermarket safety sensor would void any portion of the vehicle warranty. Does anybody know whether such aftermarket improvements affect the Subaru warranty in any way? Thanks for your help.
  • subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    There are any number of aftermarket sonar parking system kits available. They start at about $90 plus install. Most auto custom shops sell and install them. They would not void the warranty since they simply require tapping onto the 12V wire that feeds the back-up lamps.

A factory system when available would cost 3 to 4 times more and do the same thing.
    Thank you for this information -- it's very useful!
  • x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    Thanks, Bob. Pretty nice - looks a bit sinister. In a way, it's a shame the Subaru emblem is removed from the nose, but it cleans the grille up. I don't like the red "SUPERCHARGED" tag, but the HP/torque bump is very nice. Wonder how much it'll cost.

I think some of the owners in this forum will be eager to check this out. (X5killer?!)

Wahooo! you were right, I was eager to check this out! very exciting prospect indeed. I just never got a chance to respond as I checked it from my pda phone which I'm on now and figured I'd respond later from pc and never got the chance so I decided to just post from this thing any way. sorry it took me so long.

then I was away in italy so... remember all the talk of the front end looking like alfa romeo only for some to point out that actually the tribeca grille was a larger and diff variation of the alfa's trademark upside down triagular grille and that actually the rear end looked very similar to a certain alfa model. the 167 (i think or something close to that) I looked at the pictures and agreed and pointed it out whenever talk of the front ends likeness to alfa romeo. well I got to see the 167 in person in italy along with othe alfas and italian/euro cars we don't have here and the alfa romeo 167's tail lights are sure enough almost exactly like the tribeca as well as the shape of the back window and wiper. Its a smaller hatchback type car but I saw a really nice clean 4 door black one at one point and though I don't usually like hatchbacks really liked the look, aybe cus I'm bias with beca now but in looking at it you almost say wow raise that up a little and make it larger with bigger tires and te whole nine yards and that would make a really cool suv.

beca really is a great combo of italian styling and japanese engineering specifically subies best in the industry (along with audi I guess) AWD.

looks like cobb is in salt lake city utah or something. how would one from the east coast take it there to get the upgrades or is there a way a more local shop could just do what they did?

i'd be eager to do it but I kind of would want to do it on an 07 with the better cargo cover and integrated XM and stuff. its tough though because I love my satin pearl white beca with desert beige leather and matching pin stripe. all the black accessories , tinted front windows to match the back ones (makes a more uniform look and ties in the black accessories etc.) and black wheels. but I guess I could keep the wheels for a new 07 or get new ones and the two front windos tinted isn't a big deal or expensive but I'd hate to do more to my 06 just to later get a newer model or diff car. I am worried that the satin white pearl isn't offered anymore though on the 07? also I like to record some xm programming on at night and listen to in car so I'm better off with the portable that can record in house as a scheduled recording and playback in car and its fun/nice to be able to record live xm on the go in the car when you hear something good and want to record. I guess you could use both the integrated and portable but it would seem overkill. the limited edition model which I would want to get automatically comes with the xm though I think. I still haven't gotten the car xm antenna more professionally installed as I always have a ton of recorded content to listen to and at this point was waiting to see the antenna on the new color pioneer portable player. I guess I could still get that or keep my old one for playing recording stuff and use the integrated for live and just wouldn't be able to record something good I hear live unless I also have the portables antenna installed or put it out the window on roof to record but they really just need to add the live record feature to the integrated players the I would just usethe portable with no antenna to play the scheduled recorded content from over night.

plua though I could get rid of the 3rd row seat this time around (now that they offer thelimited or whatever without it) it doeant really hurt me any other then a little extra weight and could come in handy especially I'm sure as soon as I get a new model without it.

and same with the dvd player, I got it only because the only one I could find anywhere in the color and options I wanted also had it but as I use the rear audio input everyday was glad and would get it again just for that but now on new model don't have to get dvd for it and input is up front now which though running the cord and hiding it hasn't bothered I guess it would be a slight plus but I bet I would miss the dvd player suddenly once gone but still no reason to get it again with the audio input available without it.

so in those ways I'm in limbo and/or in no rush to get rid of my beca but wary of spending that kind of money to make it 300 horsepower though tempting it is on a car I may upgrade model year or change altogether.

speaking of audi, I would love to get the new Q7 suv but its expensive and would wait to see the consumer reports rating/review.

speaking of market share and tribecas on the road I love how there are still not that many and makes my car more rare and special. one year later and I till get ppl coming up and saying wow nice what kind of car is that because I have the subaru lettering off.

why do some ppl need to see a ton of other of the same model on the road to make them feel more secure about their car? plus though it slowed down here I'd say 700 some posts was a lot of activity and look at my long posts. I say this to the guy who was concerned about a B9 because he didn't dee many on the road and not much activity on this thread lately.

just look at someof the posts. most who have one love it and personally its been my best and favorite car.

in the end the main thing I want and need most from the 07 model is the improved cargo cover but that is just not enough to lose money trading in an 05 for and I should wait at least for the 08 then as some have suggested though I do wonder if cobb can/will make their version from an 07 and sell it outright instead of having to get an 07 and take it to them to upgrade as it could be cheaper if hey sell it already done. then it would be just a matter of what I could get for my 06 as I have a dealer friend that could buy it.

in the meantime I just want to get the new grille for my beca. what is the availability on that? has anyone even seen a special edition B9 at dealer with one yet? that is the other main thing I want from the 07 and unlike the cargo cover he grile is supposedly retro fittable on the 06's and only comes on the special edition 07.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yeah, try one of the sonar systems, I bet a place like Circuit City would install a selection of those.

-juice
  • gsx95gsx95 Member Posts: 18
    Back Again.. i am looking at the wiring diagrams from a 2007 b9 and comparing to 2006 b9... looks like the front aux might work in the 2006. That is provided we can source the part from Subaru. its possible that you can also input a third video source with sound directly attached to the back of the TV unit. Very interesting.. any wiring experts here? Looks like i am starting a new project
    looks like for 2007 they installed an aux switching unit, looks like it can be placed inline to our radio. Its starting to look like it can be done. Now lets see if we can source the part.

rear cam from 2007 looks like it can be added as well.

the only unknown is if they changed the head unit
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    had a local car audio place put one in 4 sensors, did not have them painted,about 300 out the door.
  • ktpklossktpkloss Member Posts: 28
    I've got only 1... should i go back and ask for more? :>
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I got 2 w/FOBs plus a valet key for my WRX. I would think you should get the same.

Bob
  • corvettegregcorvettegreg Member Posts: 11
    I got 2 with key fobs and a valet with my 06 Tribeca also...I think you should go back
  • ktpklossktpkloss Member Posts: 28
    thanks, i've just read in the manual the they supply two fobs... i'll see them on moday....oh well...anyways, so far, so good...traded in my 8ys old forester (i was guessing, that , even though i didn't have any problems with it so far, besides some very minor issues, it was about time to get rid of it if i wanted to get anything back for it as far as trade-in value goes (got $5k))for 7s LE w/ Nav...and i'm rather happy with it... just moved out of NYC area to vermont, so i don't have to be paranoid about the whole "acceleration" thing anymore, everything is much mellower here, lol...

how easy of an procedure is it to install auto-dimming mirror? (not sure if i really need it yet, with already heavily tinted rear glass) i see it can be purchased on-line, can it be done my myself, or should i go back to the dealer to install it? thanks for help...
  • kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    I got this from Subaru HQ Customer Service today..."Subaru will not be offering a retrofit kit to install an auxilliary input into current and past models. The necessary wiring is not within your vehicle. To install this input, it would be necessary to dismantle your vehicle in order to install the wiring. We do not offer retrofit kits that would necessitate this."

Of course, this is not a tech person's answer. Still, if someone were willing to get the necessary parts, I would LOVE the step-by-step instructions.

-Karen in AZ-
    Just to lump a couple of email replies from Subaru HQ into one message, here goes...

AUX input: "Subaru will not be offering a retrofit kit to install an auxilliary input into current and past models. The necessary wiring is not within your vehicle. To install this input, it would be necessary to dismantle your vehicle in order to install the wiring. We do not offer retrofit kits that would necessitate this."

Backup sensors: "However, the rear backup sensor can be installed in previous model Tribecas. While the option has not yet been released, it should be available soon through Subaru dealers."

Cargo Cover: "I am sorry, but the 2007 Cargo Cover is not compatible with the 2006 Tribeca."

-Karen in AZ-
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national personal finance magazine is looking to interview consumers who have recently purchased (within the past year) a new Subaru B9 Tribeca and would like to talk about your new car. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, June 28, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    today i called around to a few subaru part dealers. There is a part number associated with the Aux input, but there is not price on the part yet. it looks like the part comes with the wiring for the secondary aux.

Gets me thinking, for 07 when no rear ent is installed, the rear aux is simply moved to the center console with no change in wiring between the 06 and 07. Only the location changes all else is the same. I am now going to explore if its possible to just relocate the rear aux.

Wiring the second aux requires that we source and purchase the aux switching unit, seems like a rather expensive thing to do just to switch aux.. Unless the aux unit is also the input for sat radio. Thinking this might be the case since the head unit, has a seperate input for the rear cam and a video source. In theory if you bypass the e-brake you could have a multizone ent system in the Becca. :) Could it be that the sat radio connects to other video input behind the radio.
    Good job, as usual, Karen, putting the information together for us. Thanks.

-juice
    Thanks to everyone for the great information on back-up sensors.

I now have questions about the fuel grade used in the B9 as well as the MPG’s people are getting with city and highway driving. I recall reading somewhere that the B9 should take premium (91 octane) fuel. Is that what people have found works best?

Also, what type of real-world fuel economy are people getting with the B9? (EPA estimate is 18 city/23 highway.) Thanks for your input.
  • reuben2reuben2 Member Posts: 11
    I get between 18 and 20 typically, a bit more if I'm doing all highway and a bit less if all in-town. I vary between Premium and Mid-grade, and have found it doesn't seem to make a difference. There are so many other variables driving the gas mileage that it is actually very difficult to tell whether the grade of gas is making it better or worse.
  • subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    Other peoples MPG and Gov't MPG est are meaningless.

I have found that with Premium and Mid grade there is virtually no difference in the performance or cost of operation. Premium gets me a little better MPG but the 10 cents per gallon higher price makes it equal to mid grade at a lower cost.

In Chicago urban driving I normally use regular and have no problems. MPG is not good with the regular, but with stop and go city driving MPG is hardly any better with more expensive grades.
  • newsubunewsubu Member Posts: 39
    Are the workers at Subaru's West Lafayette, Indiana plant where the B9 Tribeca is manufactured represented by a union?
    Nope. Generally the import/transplants try to avoid unions. Here's one article I found:

http://www.indianaeconomicdigest.net/main.asp?SectionID=31&SubSectionID=187&Arti- cleID=26333

-juice
    Great article, Juice. Kokomo is my home town (I've been in AZ for 25 yrs now). Many Howard County (Kokomo) residents travel to Lafayette, Indy, even South Bend daily. Wouldn't surprise me a bit to see the majority of new SIA employees in the next several months come from Kokomo's Chrysler or Delphi (formerly GM's Delco Electronics).

Hoosier Karen in AZ :-)
    And how Honda is going to build a plant in Indiana. The Hoosiers are on a roll...

-juice
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    And how Honda is going to build a plant in Indiana. The Hoosiers are on a roll...

Ah but don't forget the Hoosiers paid a dear price to land that Honda plant.
    Hopefully it'll pay off in the long run, especially with all the new jobs also coming to SIA.

-juice
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    I'm sure Indiana's hoping suppliers will locate near the factories as well. That's how it's worked here with Boeing. With high fuel costs, sometimes it becomes too expensive to ship great distances, and it's easier to cooperate across companies when they're physically near.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    One of reasons for choosing this location in Indiana is because it's only about 120 miles from Honda's core in Ohio. They'll be able to draw on suppliers already there and IIRC, that's not an unusual distance for part suppliers.
  • bgadlagebgadlage Member Posts: 15
    Hi ALL,
    I am going to purchase a Tribeca 9 soon.
    I have several questions for you all.

Do you like yours?
    Had any problems?
    The 07 has the back up screen, the 06 does not.
    Is it neccesary?
    Where is the compass located?

Any good deals out there?
    I am open to any info.

Thanks
    Belva
    Ah. Didn't realize the distance between Honda plants was so close!
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I don't own one, but have driven several, including one several hundred miles. Yes, I would think the backup camera would be very helpful, as the rear visability is not great on this vehicle.

As to the compass, if it's like other Subies, it's in the rearview mirror.

Bob
  • mikejlmikejl Member Posts: 78
    I have had mine for a year and I have over 27K miles on it. I still love it.

No major problems to report. One minor problem seems to be common to a number of owners - the front sway bar bushings are wearing out at around 20K miles. It's a quick fix covered by warranty. I think regular lubrication of the bushings may prevent this from happening again.

Again - that is a minor issue. I am 99% positive about this vehicle and I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

The compass in mine is located in the rear view mirror. I have an auto-dimming mirror. I'm not sure if a compass is also included in a non-dimming mirror.

Both the backup camera and the sensors are great options. Visibility to the immediate rear is limited. Anything that can indicate an object is behind you will be very useful. I'll probably have this feature retro-fitted on my 2006 model. I am familiar with sensors because I have them on another vehicle, so I know how well they work, even in the dark. The camera would be just that much better.

There is a separate 'Prices Paid and Buying Experience' forum for the B9 that can answer your question about deals. I just took a quick glance and saw some talk about pricing under invoice - check it out.

Other info - Despite the extremely cramped third row seating, I have used it to good effect several times with teenagers. It is more useful than I thought it would be.

Other info, 2 - Get the puddle lights. They are helpful in many situations plus they are way cool. I believe they are still only available as a factory-installed option.

The 2007 has at least two other advantages over the 2006 that I wish I had - a driver's seat with memory and a functional cargo cover.
    Apparently the sonar backup system can be retrofitted to earlier models. If not then the aftermarket certainly can take care of that.

-juice
    I already knew the cargo cover was not going to be retro fitable (<--not a word?) to the 06's and sad to hear it confirmed but thats good news on the sonar though still doesn't seem certain if at all on the rear camera.

I had heard the SE grill would be retro fitable to the 06. Any availability yet at dealership or subaru parts websites? I will prob try to get it online and then just have my dealer replace and install it.

what can we do with our orig grill? maybe dealer will give you some money for it?

i thought the grill was supposed to be available now. is the 07 even out yet, i thought it was for a little while now but haven't seen any and not last time i was at dealer either.

I'm eager to check out an SE with the new grille and even the chrome wheels. would like to see how the new cargo cover works but will prob just make me mad they did such a shoddy job on the 06 one.

any other news on the cobb beca? or other outfits that will supercharge it?

I still have a subtle and random slight rattling emanating from the front dash area somewhere in front of steering wheel to center of dash and posible from the part of the hood closest to windshield, somewhere within that vicinity.

it doesn't happen all the time but when you hit certain bumps but mostly its sideways movement that causes it. they couldn't figure out what it was last time at dealership and its prob something inside somewhere that is just slightly loose.

they said they've had this type of thing before and basically have to take apart that whole area of the car and tighten stuff like 10 things at a time and then test drive to see if the ratttling is fixed.

I was not to eager to have them do this and be without my B9 while the whole car is being taken apart to fix and minor random now and then rattling. i dont even hear it with music on.

never the less its annoying that they dont have a better way to target what and where it is. :confuse:
    '07s aren't out yet, but I think they're expected any day.

No new info on the Cobb Tuning site regarding supercharging.
    http://www.cobbtuning.com/cobbtuned/ct_tribeca.html
    All they say is they're still trying to determine if they should offer a complete vehicle or a supercharging kit, and they ask interested folks to contact them for more info. If they offer it as a kit, I'd think a few of the Cobb dealers around the country would be able to install it. Here's a link to the list of about 25 dealers nationwide:
    http://cobbtuning.com/links.html
    If I remember correctly, Kokomo had a very good shot at getting the SIA plant originally, but Subaru went with the Lafayette site because it was near the interstate...shipping does make a big difference. I believe I heard that from my Dad years ago.

-Karen-
    Here's a crazy post-script to my retro fit message. I had emailed five different local dealers about retrofitting these three items, and I got five completely different sets of answers...only one dealer managed to have the same answers as Subaru HQ gave me :-)

-Karen in AZ-
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
    I emailed them about buying just the grill... I do not want the logo on the front of my B9.

They emailed back saying it was a one off and they didnt plan on making any more of the grills.

If anyone finds a online source for the limited grill let me know as well :shades:

=====

I noticed that I have a dull rattle ONLY when the fan is turned on and when going over bumps. its like a lose part was left lose in the air vent area. have to have the dealer check into sometime. but I am already at 11k miles hope they will cover it.
  • bgadlagebgadlage Member Posts: 15
    Hi All,

If I buy an 06 with Nav can a back up screen be put in?
    If so, how much?

How about the back up sensors?

When are the 07's coming out?

I have heard two different opinions.

Thank you.
    Belva
  • mayberryguymayberryguy Member Posts: 145
    Are the workers at Subaru's West Lafayette, Indiana plant where the B9 Tribeca is manufactured represented by a union?

No, Subaru is not represented by a Union and for the record, SIA is in Lafayette not West Lafayette. Glad to have you here. :)
  • newsubunewsubu Member Posts: 39
    Have the same random rattle in the front dash. Takes a series of small bumps to get vibration going, but does not happen all the time. Appeared after replacing the windsheild, (due to a horrible slice by a neighbor kid!)

Dealer tells me they did not tear into dash during windsheild replacement, but that's definetly where rattle is now coming from.

I, too, am hestitant to rip out entire dash to fix minor rattle, but it IS annoying. If you or dealer find a way to fix without dismantling interior, or pinpointing the loose part, please post.
    sounds like you have the same rattle that i do. was that you with a post above mentioning it? otherwise there is someone else with same/similiar thing.
    I am calling dealer in the morn to get appt. for headlight bulb replacement. the HID like sylvania silver star bulbs dont seem to lat long in the tribeca. first one went in under a year and now second one went in about a year maybe even not quite. not good. i dont know if its smething about the tribeca that burns them out quicker or if its just the daytime running lights burning them out in a year. in fact i better check with dealer which headlight was changed last time and make sure its not the same one otherwise i might have a problem with that headlifht socket but i think its th other side and the bulbs just aret lasting long in beca. i would think sylvania wuld know that most cars have dtrl and make them to last accordingly but i used similiar bulbs in my old car withou dtrl and they lasted so i think its that. i may have to do the parking brake button trick to disable them if i want to use diff bulbs and not buy them and pay for install every year.

in fact now im worried as its definitely been jus over a year since i got the b9 that i wont have warranty for the bulbs let alone the rattle and for the other control arm/sway bar bushin (first was noticed and changed after a fender bender which may have sped up its deterioration but it was pointed out to me then that the other was starting to crack a lile to) i did put dealer on notice about that.

when the first bulb went they would ahve replaced it with a stock bulb free but as i had already bought the 3rd new bulb i paid to have them put in but this is rediculous. if i have them do just the one that is out back to regular bulb then i have one hid like and one stock? or have them do both and scrap the 3rd sss i just had put in a month or so ago. why didnt subaru just make a xenon option like murano? 08 please?

i think i will opt to just put in another hid like sss bulb and then disable dtrl's. maybe this warrants dealer doing it but i should def write a letter to soa and take the opportunity to mention some other concerns mentioned.

my sticker does say to get service at the mleage i am already past bt i remember they put it about a thousand miles early just to get more service out of you but mine as eell now.

will have them check the status of the other bushing and see if they cant fix the rattle though i hate to be the guinea pig and have them take apat the dash not without compensation from soa for solving a recall type problem.

i think thats my main concern other then minor stuff like the brake pads showing rust which i think is normal but still they lasted awhile without but with all the rain it then sat on the wheel i guess even in garage drying ans was enough to cause it. i may get new wheels that arent as open and wont show te pad or should replacethem with better ones tha lok cool too like the cobb.

that is sad news about the SE grill sounding now like it wont be available after everyone saidit would even dealer and retrofitable. may have to get an 07 though at that point i mine as well et an audi Q7. even murano and lexus rx have a diff factory grill though maybe its also only on certain model type.
  • nambesalnambesal Member Posts: 2
    I've posted pics and information of my recent Class III Draw-Tite / Hidden Hitch installation on scoobymods
    scoobymods - Tribeca Class III Hitch Installation
    Great job documenting that.

Let us know what you end up towing and how it performs.

-juice
  • jerrys2jerrys2 Member Posts: 189
    I also have a noise in the dash ... it is like a pop , not a rattle, something like a coffee percolator . It isn't regular or constant. I would like to get some idea what it is before I refer to dealer, for sure it won't do it when I bring it in.

Another minor concern is the reflection from dash lights into windshield when driving at night. Surprised no one else has mentioned this.

Otherwise very happy after 11 months and 11k.

Jerry
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    I have a noise (not constant, but infrequent) identical to the one you describe in my 05 Outback. Just like a coffee perculator, perking.
    Some hard drives sound like that, I wonder if the NAV system uses one? The DVD is under the seat, I believe.

-juice