Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ....and for everyone else who reads it!
  • alman08alman08 Member Posts: 282
    personally i think the 500 is a great car despite all the talks about lack of power and boring styling. all that 0-60 talks really does not make any diff to me because i doubt every driver will just gun his car everytime he's behind the steering wheel and as far as styling is concern, it's just a matter of personal preference and for me, i'm just glad that there is still a car out there with a very conservative styling :D
    and based on some research i have done about buying a ford, i think i can probably get a used 2005.5 model limited awd cvt (probably has less new model glitches) in late 2006 with less than 8k miles for about $20k. this is after seeing that i can today get a 2004 explorer limited 4x4 v8 with less than 10k mil for $25k at the dealer.
  • jrdoajrdoa Member Posts: 11
    Just purchased a new AWD Montego Premier with moonroof, safety package, and reverse sensing system for $25,676 in Arlington Heights, IL.
  • gianetcgianetc Member Posts: 5
    I just purshased a 2005 Montego last Friday 7/29/05 for $25, 700 including all taxes and fees and 0 % financing for 3 years. (I could have gotten the $500 cash back instead). This also included my $1500 1996 Sable trade in, which was used as a down payment. This was the employee discount price. The list price was $28, 395. It is a Luxury AWD with options including leather and side airbags/roof canopy airbags. The gas milage is great for an AWD. The computer shows 21 city driving and 28 highway. I still have more then half a tank of gas left after driving extensively. The CVT transmission is very smooth and the acceleration is great. Consumer reports claims it's an underpowered engine (the 24 valve 6 used in the Sabil and Taurus) but I test drove a AWD Chrysler 300 with the 250 hp engine and the acceleration was the same. It seems there is a bias against American cars in the press where value and engineering sophisication is often ignored. The Chassis based on the Volvo XC90 and S80 AWD system - is fantastic and handling very solid. Finally, the light system is very advanced as compared to the Ford 500 with LED tail lights with a separate amber signal light and HID Headlights - at no extra charge.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi everyone. Please use the following discussion to post any questions that you have about leasing a Ford Five Hundred. Thanks.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums
  • daybarondaybaron Member Posts: 1
    anyone with a favorable outcome with recent purchase in southern new jersey? looking to buy before eom. any and all info appreciated
  • slider7slider7 Member Posts: 33
    Obviously from the lack of traffic lately here, Ford better roll out 25% discounts on Five Hundred/Montego. There are NONE in my neighborhood and only ONE in my parking lot at work in Chesapeake VA. FYI, the legal definition of a "New Car" is it has never been been titled. My definition is virgin, undamaged, undriven since it came off the hauler, plastic still on the interior! Otherwise, it's time to cough up BIG discounts! A "New Car" that is damaged and repaired before titled, is still a "New Car".
  • heypeaceheypeace Member Posts: 3
    I've recently test drove a 2006 Camry XLE V6 and 2006 Mecury Montego FWD Premier and taught they were very similar cars. The Camry was more smoother and would have a ride quality of 8 out of 10 while the Mecury Montego more bumpy would be rated at 7 out of 10. The Camry would feel faster too. Also, Toyota will have a redesign Camry coming out this spring 2006 for the Camry 2007. It's going to be better and faster. That is what I call "Moving Forward". While the Toyota Avalon would ride a litte more smoother than both, I wish the Mecury Montego would be much smoother and faster.

Camry XLE V6 2006 final price with tax,title and license is $23,557.00 . ($1,000 rebate)
    Compared to Mecury dealer wanting final price of $27,400.00 for the 2006 mecury Montego FWD Preimer with Reverse sensing and sunroof. (they said final price include $1,000 rebate with $750 for Katrina victums) It's still cost more and the Camry is a little better.

I would buy that Montego FWD Premier if it was price at about $21,337.00 which would be about $7400 off of MSRP.

Ford/Mecury need to stop overpricing their cars & trucks.
    So I ended up with the 2006 Camry XLE V6.
  • escape15208escape15208 Member Posts: 9
    The Montego isn't necessarily over priced - it's a much bigger car than the Camry, be it 06 or 07.
    A more direct competitor to the Camry is the Milan. It's a little smaller than the Camry, but not by much. it's also slightly cheaper.
    A Camry XLE V6 w/ option A (heated seats) lists for $26,700
    A Milan Premier V6 w/ heated seats & moonroof lists for $25,180.
  • x1630sx1630s Member Posts: 2
    Ok here is the deal and feel free to say if you think I got a good or poor deal.

Ford 500 SEL FWD
    Free Leather dual seat control ,(439) powermoonroof,(53F)safety package,(76R)reverse sensing system.
    MSRP $26715
    Invoice $24894
    -1000 under invoice
    -1000 Rebate
    Total $22894 then add $1450 tax and tags-$24344 out door today
  • suisun_suesuisun_sue Member Posts: 10
    That certainly seems like a fair price. Coincidently, yours is the exact same car I am looking for... SEL FWD with those options. Will take your numbers with me when I go shopping. My local dealer current has that car on his lot with the window sticker showing 26715 MSRP plus another sticker showing "Added dealer mark-up" of 1995. Wish me luck.
  • herheyherhey Member Posts: 8
    Portsmouth Ford in Portsmouth, NH has Ford Five Hundred SEL AWD with leather and moonroof for $22,495.00 with no doc fees. Sticker price is #27,970.00 after the reduction for leather seats. Thought someone could use this for comparison shopping. May be worth the trip for some of you.
  • beofwulfbeofwulf Member Posts: 1
    What would be a standard price on a 2 or 3 year lease on a new $500. What is standard down payment?
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi beofwulf. Consumers can and always should lease any vehicle that they are interested in without making any sort of down payment at all. You can lease the Five Hundred that you are interested and only have to pay your first month's payment, a security deposit equivalent to that payment rounded up to the nearest $25 or $50 increment, Ford Credit's $595 acquisition fee, and any required state taxes or fees at lease signing.

You never mentioned the selling price or MSRP of the car that you are interested in leasing. These are important numbers for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing this car's selling price in relation to its MSRP you don't know how much of a discount you are getting on it. The second reason is that one needs the selling price and MSRP, including the destination charge, of a vehicle to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to work up a sample lease payment on the car that you are interested in for you if you let me know what these numbers are.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums
  • luvmbootyluvmbooty Member Posts: 271
    No one bought a Ford or Montego since March? :confuse:
    You got that right! We are not just waiting for the now available 0.0% financing over 5 years, we want employee pricing too. Dealer says $30,900.00, Daddy says $24,500.00 divided by 60 months.
    Sounds sweet if you can be approved for the 0.0%!
  • observer22observer22 Member Posts: 41
    Sacramento area Ford dealer was advertising base Five Hundreds for $16,500 back in February.
    Chevy really improved the ugly front end of the Monte Carlo, hope Ford can do the same for the Five Hundred.
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    I am in the market for a Ford 500 SEL or Limited.

Appreciate feedback on out the door price along with dealer name.

Thanks!
  • bigdan1bigdan1 Member Posts: 23
    Ford has a $1000 rebate plus a $500 rebate until 31MAY06. Do you think Ford will extend rebates past 31MAY06?

Dealer closest to my home is out of the car I want (Ford 500, SEL FWD, Auto trans). He says he will have more of what I want by end of week. He "thinks" Ford will extend rebates.

Another dealer 10 miles away has what I want. I could buy from him tomorrow, but I have never dealt with them.

I bought 2 cars in the past from dealer closest to home, and I like him.
    There are no more 06 Five Hundreds in Production. The model year was cut short by four months. 2007's began rolling off with a couple new paint colors, bright grilles on all, and chrome rim option to dealers in Raleigh and Charlotte NC with more coming. Lots of 06's especially Limiteds. At this stage 0.0% plus a thousand dollar rebate and 10% off sticker is not unreasonable. Do a search dealer inventory and don't be afraid to drive a couple hours away to get what YOU want! Of course buying a 2007 in June 2006 will depreciate quicker than a store bought steak overlooked in the trunk your car. Especially when 2008 Duratech 35 powered/6f tranny blows the doors open next Spring! Hope that hot blonde in the red velvet dress shows up with a can of "Foamy" to go with that Mach III grill and those LED/HiD tail/head/fog lamps! It's times like this when procrastination is good. I also will attempt to make a deal on an 06 before the end of June.
    There are no more 06 Five Hundreds in Production. The model year was cut short by four months. 2007's began rolling off with a couple new paint colors, bright grilles on all, and chrome rim option to dealers in Raleigh and Charlotte NC with more coming. Lots of 06's especially Limiteds

I dont need a more powerful engine and dont like to burn more gas. So I am not going to wait for the 2008 model.

Couple of follow-up questions:
    1) Did Ford raise the prices on the 2007 models?

2) Ignoring the color/cosmetic differences, did Ford make any improvements to the 2007 model? Any changes to the chassis or body?
  • jimmymack1jimmymack1 Member Posts: 8
    i'm looking at the 2006 mercury montego/ford 500. each dealer gives me different incentives;
    FORD;
    $1k-discount
    $1k - rebate
    free gas till 2007($1k master card)
    0% finance
    free - every other oil change
    MERCURY;
    they said only the 1k rebate & the 0% fin.
    (this salesgirl was new)
    She also said they may not get the exact color i want,so with the 2008 coming out early 2007 , should i wait and hope they have the same incentive for the 07 they have now for the 06.
    ford dealers seem to be in disaray.
    other than grill, what are the differences?
    Anybody have a good buying experience in Virginia or Maryland?

What was the out of the door price?

Thanks!
    no changes period. The 2005 is the 2006 is the 2007.
    I've kept an eye(via internet) on southeast Va and northeast/Raleigh NC dealer inventory for the 500 and frankly they are barely moving. Maybe 8 sold over the last four months! Dealers quickly subtract 2000.00 from sticker and subtract the 1000.00 rebate and maybe you'll qualify for 0.0%. Not a lot off a 30,000.00 FWD 200hp Megatuarus that bases for 18,000.00 to 22,000. I agree with the post that the salespeople/dealers are wanting to ignore reality no flotilla of vessels and sailors savings are on their way back to cure them presently. I say 0.0 percent over 5 years and "x" plan style pricing by all American automakers. The trusty American auto buyers who have supported the Big Three in years past, for once need a "bailout".
    when will mercury cave in and offer the same '06 incentives for their 07 montego,it's the same car???
    it's look like they may b waiting for toyota to sell out of the avalon.
  • lglblondlglblond Member Posts: 9
    In Raleigh area....

SE w/ safety/security package...

$23725 sticker - $21,725 selling price (yes the standard $2k off = $200 below Edmunds "invoice") + $1k rebate = $500 Ford loyalty rebate + $1500 trade-in (pretty much what we wanted for the 8 year old trade) Financed for 60 months at 0%. Out the door was basically about $4k below sticker w/ our trade in allowance.

We were pleased w/ the deal... wanted a "big" car w/ a big trunk. LIked the car. Had considered a Fusion also... Five Hundred apparently not selling as well b/c selection of colors/options was huge. Not really looking for all the bells & whistles, just a good price/payment. Can't really beat the deal for size of car; gas mileage; etc. with another model after MUCH research...
    slider7 you are too lodgical.The american auto would rather wait and have uncle sam bail them out. :cry:
  • jbrew7jbrew7 Member Posts: 17
    Does anyone know who exactly qualifies for the 0% financing. Are we saying those with credit scores above 700?
    Considering purchasing a SEL AWD since I live up here in the mountains and you'd be stupid not to have an AWD. Although, I'm wondering how the car will handle in heavy snow. Suburus are great for up here, but I was thinking of something different.
  • tobig05tobig05 Member Posts: 13
    I just purchased an 05 500 limited with every bell and whistle that was available to this car for 21,000 up here in Framingham Mass.So keep working on those prices and good luck.
  • tobig05tobig05 Member Posts: 13
    The used 500 I just purchased has quite a bad smell of cigarette smoke. Does anyone have any sugestions as to how to get the stink out.
  • kate40kate40 Member Posts: 1
    This is my first post. We are looking for a safe family car. We have 1 little one and another on the way so we need to fit two carseats in back.

In our area, Southeast Michigan, I see Ford is offering $1000 cash/or gas rebate as well as the 0% financing.
    From other postings, it looks like it's more like $2000 or $3000 back and 0%.

We have X-plan at work, but I don't know what percent it is off the invoice. Can we use it with the incentives? We may be able to get Z-plan (is that the retiree?) from my father-in-law, but I'm not sure he'll do it. Will we save a lot more? We are a on tight budget and hope to get a fair deal.
    Can anyone please explain the incentives, as well as x and z plans?

Also, any dealers in SE Michigan you would recommend?

Thanks so much in advance--this is a tough decision for us and we really need some guidance from experienced car buyers!!!
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    X-plan will be a few hundred OVER invoice.

Z-plan would probably be something around $1,000 under X-plan . but I'm not sure about that one. Memory's a bit fuzzy.

Rebates generally work with X-plan, and probably Z-plan. Your Ford dealer would know for sure.
  • alman08alman08 Member Posts: 282
    Just go to Ford Credit site and apply for the 0% financing. It's free and you will either get an online approval or rejection. If you're qualified, all you have to do is to bring the letter to the dealer when purchasing the vehicle. Saves a lot of time that way.
  • bogie924bogie924 Member Posts: 1
    I am actually trying to sell my 500 SEL. It's an awesome car but it is absolutely HUGE!! It's just too much car for me. It has a few extras like leather, moon roof and tinted windows. The kicker is that the car is near perfect condition with only 7000 miles and dealer don't want to offer me anything as a trade! Anyone got any advise on a alternate way of selling it? I know I won't get what I think the cars worth but I gotta be able to get more than the dealer!
    I'm going to see a dealer today and I want a little ammunition in my pocket. Where could I find on the net the figures on how the 500 is selling? Thanks!
    I bought a new merlot and black '06 Five with 17 miles on the odo last night. I recommend you search all dealer inventories in your area via Ford.com. Know whether you want black interior or tan and what exterior color based on ever dwindling inventory. What options? Go to the dealers on Sunday to closely inspect for damage, chips, scrapes, dents, and don't forget to look under the car for collisions with curb islands or transport mishaps. If you are satisfied with what you find, tell the dealer straight up, "I want to test drive that vehicle". Make sure all doors are closed fully so you can read odo mileage accumulated so far. Don't get suckered on a "Brand New" ie "never been titled" car with 500 to 5000 miles already on it. After checking for the funtionality of all controls and options, cut to the chase, tell them you are only interested in buying at invoice, 0.0% financing, absolutely no money down, and YOU want the Cash Rebate! A thousand bucks in your bank will make you feel like a King where $16.00 less payment per month won't. If you like a "demo" you must get the mileage, leave and research Kelly Blue book first! One dealer had a Blue/Black Limited FWD with all options and 5,100 miles put on by the service manager. Kelly said 2006 FWD Ltd with a $31,500 sticker now only worth $19,750 as a trade in. I told the salesman the only thing new about that car is the tags & title. I offered $22,500, manager balked, and I walked. Now they've left messages yesterday and today to "come get it" (:()} Don't let the dealership "drive the bride" and leave the "groom/buyer" to pay for the Wedding & Honeymoon. Your silence is your best freind. I said no warranties, no protections, got the customary $2061.00 discount, no processing fee, 0.0%, tax, title, tag included in loan, $1000.00 cash on the way, and payments of rounded $461 for five years and the factory will be sending the $900 "holdback" to the dealer to ease the pain of invoice only and no processing fee. If you buy the same car as an '07 at 4.9% youll pay $4000 in interest and no rebate so the same car, newer year, costs you $5000.00 more!! Still wanna add that $1200 protection and $1800 extended warranty too? $8000.00, "but it's only $133.33" more per month, says the aftersale hottie in baby doll pumps, short skirt, and loose blouse. No No No!
    I had already looked at inventory for Staten Island,2 in Brooklyn, and Manhattan. I'm only interested in the SE 2WD. SEL and Limited are too pricey for me and on Staten Island I'll get around fine with 2WD and save a little on gas.

No SE's at Island Ford. Only one 2WD SEL, 7 AWD SELs, and one Limited there. 2 2WD SE's at Popular Ford but they're both Pueblo Gold with Pebble interior, which are exactly the colors I'm not looking for. All 6 2006s at Premier Ford are Limited. Manhattan has one measly AWD SEL! I guess the SEs are popular in my area.

I checked for used 05 and 06 on Autotrader.com. Get this. Staten Island had used 05 SE with traction, 13,700 miles and asking $19,995. I also found 3 different dealers in NJ with used 500s. Bergenfield had 06 SE, no options, 12,601 miles, asking $16,998. Somerville had 05 SEL with Curtain side airbags, 11,336 miles, asking $16,995. Freehold had 05 SEL with Leather seats and traction, ONLY 6,001 miles, asking $16,995! All 3 cars are 2WDs.

Island Ford, are you crazy? I'd drive to Freehold and back, a total of 3 hours and I'm saving a thousand per hour! Plus a 06 model, and 2 SELs with lower mileage for $3,000 less! :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :P
  • poconosms1poconosms1 Member Posts: 9
    I've been looking at the 500 for over a month.

500 SEL AWD - has the moon roof, trip computer

Here's the latest deal

retail 27.675
    savings 2000
    rebate 1000
    adj sales price 24675

at 70 months 1.9 I have a 388.37 per month payment

The first offer did not include the 2000 savings. Today they offered a 385 per month price. I countered with a 370 hoping to it or 375 per month.

The dealership is the number one sales dealership in PA Mcafferty, so I know they purchase below invoice. They had at least 8 500s on their lot.

Should I hold out for the 370-75?
    A 2006 SEL AWD base invoice is $23,972. A moonroof cost them $779. Destination charge is $700. Rebate is $1,000. Add all this up and total cost comes to $24,451. I would try for $23,951. See if other dealers will beat their price.

How much tax do you pay in PA? How much down payment? Any trade?

NY state is 8.38%. If you put $5,000 down. No trade in.(Never trade, they will try and give you less than it's worth to make thier money back) 70 months with a 1.9 APR, your payments would be per month: $326
    no trade and no down payment.
    At $388.37 per month for 70 months with a 1.9 APR, your actually paying $23,455. If you hold out for $370 your actually paying $22,455. So your total savings would be $4,000 plus the rebate is $5,000 off retail. Sounds like a sweet deal!
    that's what I holding out for. (actually, I'll probably buy at 375-380.
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    While I hope I'm wrong, I don't believe they'll meet your terms.

Am curious as to why you aren't trying to buy this at zero percent for 60 months - at your already quoted price your montly payment would be about $410.
    well, they offered 385, down $4. I told them 380 and I'll buy. The current car I own is 17 years old, 270k a six year loan is nominal for me at 1.9%. My wife's car I paid off in 4.5 years anyway.
    They are now at 384 and threw in a paint and leather protector package for free. I accepted. I'll post my thoughts about the vehicle after I've been driving it for a while

end price - 24,450 with moonroof, safety package, and leather seats.
    Congradulations! Hope it works out!
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Glad it worked out for you. $24,450 on a $27,675 sticker, uh?

I guess the ads here in Columbus of $3500 off MSRP probably represent a good deal.
This discussion has been closed.