Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

DODGE 5.7 HEMI

2»

Comments

• modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    There's no reason the dialogue can't go on. Don't know why you got upset.

You had said "Ford had Hemis too(I took that as meaning plural) they called them Bosses....But Dodge took the whole deal just a little farther" I took that as meaning the Dodge came AFTER the Boss 429. If I was mistaken I apologize.

As for the Corvette the ZR1 four valve motors haven't been produced in 5 years and they produced 60 more horsepower then the current Vette motor and the proposed Hemi. The only reason that was brought up was that the CURRENT 2 valve Corvette motors have numbers favorable to the proposed Hemi, that's all. Why doesn't the Corvette use a 4 valve head? My only thinking on that is at 5.7 L they don't have to yet. As emissions regs tighten up I believe they will be forced to smaller displacements and multi cam/valve technology to make up the difference.(Almost like the demise of the original Hemi!) Please realize that the Ford DOHC 4v 4.6L (a full 70+ cubic inches smaller then the GM LS1) is producing very close power numbers. The DOHC 4V 5.4 Cobra R motor is a limited production vehicle but ALL the parts with the exception of the intake are off the shelf parts. This motor conservatively makes 385 horsepower with estimates as high as 425 HP.

I haven't read back through all the posts but I think what started this was some people were saying (not you) that because the new Chrysler motor was going to be a Hemi that it automatically was going to stomp all current engines. I just don't see it that way.

As far as correcting what I thought was misinformation provided by you I try to do it diplomatically, please tell if I didn't and I will "correct" my tone in the future. Your Chrysler knowledge is fun and debate is what I thought made these topics. I don't believe I flamed you and if I did I apologize.
  • njt15njt15 Member Posts: 20
    You did say first Hemi in a 300. Try not to be so sensative. You are not the only person with knowledge.

The new Hemi may be for marketing, but it will still have to perform. It is likely being driven by the new owners of Chrysler, the Germans. They seem to like to win in any form of racing that they are in. In fact yesterday I watch the "brutish" Viper leave all the others behind in some road race. It was best, however, to see the Corvette that GM spent millions tweaking to a 7.0l, still be left in the dust. The Vette guy was whining that it was not fair. Hey, GM Vette guy, see NASCAR where Bill France has protected Chevy for about 50 years, (speaking of all the breaks). I believe that the "Elephant" was only allowed for 1 year there.
  • lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    Isn't Bill France one of the reasons that the original Chrysler Hemi went away? I remember reading an article in a magazine ( I believe it was car craft) about the Hemi engines and it mentioned that the Hemi was made illegal after one year in NASCAR for reasons I cannot recall, I do remember that the Hemi pretty much kicked everyone butt that year, we can only hope that the new Hemi engines will compete with the already proven engines of today. The article also talked about Fords Hemi engine that they were developing to keep pace with Chrysler, but they scrapped the project after the Hemi head was banned, according to the article the engine was making something like 750 hp before it was shutdown, after that only a few of the engines were made and were only used for dragsters.
  • steve234steve234 Member Posts: 460
    This discussion may have run its course, but I just recently found it and found some of the information/comments interesting. I suspect that the new D/C hemi has a dual role for Dodge. To invoke the memories of the famous 426 and also as a engine for the new nascar teams. Let's face it, the 360 is a fabulous work engine, but I do not imagine that the builders are thrilled with it as a base for a race car. As to the number of valves, the problem is that increasing the number of valves has several advantages for performance, but increases the complexity of the drive train. Some pundits are saying that in a few years, the traditional valve train will be replaced with solenoid operated valves. No more camshafts or timing belts. This will allow for computer adjustment of the valve timing according to driving conditions. Imagine the discussion that will invoke.
  • superjim2000superjim2000 Member Posts: 314
    The 'vette has a new engine.....OK new for '97.

It was created largely due to emmisions. It makes good HP numbers and gets good mileage. This 2 valve engine spawned the new V8 engines in the Silverado. GM spent a ton of money on these engines and they are supposed to be excellent.

With a 4v head you have an engine that:

Breathes better

Has a higher redline.

It sacrifices mileage for power, but not a whole lot with todays technology.

Because of the better breathing and higher RPM, it makes more horsepower than a OHV engine. Chevy kept the 350 displacement (OK 347) because who could think of a 'vette without one?

The hemi was ahead of its time, providing 4v power in a 2v head, or as close to it as was possible at the time.

Btw....motors are electric, engines burn fuel.
  • steveeaststeveeast Member Posts: 158
    ...but not when it's an outboard...
    Sorry but a motor IS NOT just electric. This is from Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary.

Main Entry: 1mo·tor
    Pronunciation: 'mO-t&r
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Latin, from movEre to move
    Date: 1586
    1 : one that imparts motion; specifically : PRIME MOVER
    2 : any of various power units that develop energy or impart motion: as a : a small compact engine b : INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE; especially : a gasoline engine c : a rotating machine that transforms electrical energy into mechanical energy
    3 : MOTOR VEHICLE; especially : AUTOMOBILE
    - mo·tor·dom /-d&m/ noun
    - mo·tor·less /-l&s/ adjective

While the LS1 MOTORS are a fresh design I guarantee as emissions tighten up the motors will get smaller with multivalve technology. Interesting how Chevy abandoned the siamesed exhaust valves on the new heads for a more Ford like layout. LOL!!! I asked a question in another topic that no one answered: What is the trophy truck (off road racing) of Team Chevys Larry Ragland running? Answer; a 4.5(not sure what the production motor will be) version of their NEW inline 6 WITH DOHC AND 4 valves per cylinder. So the writing is on the wall IMO.

Last year NHRA fined Pro Stocks Dodge team (Alderman) for running GM blocks. Aerodynamic testing on the Winston CUP team is being done with ....GULP!!! Chevy motors. Seems they can't get enough power out of the Craftsman Truck motors. This last info was garnered from last months CAR CRAFT. The NHRA info was in the drag racing mag.

So I agree with Steve, Dodge better do something...Even the mighty V10 is rumored to be going smaller with multi valve technology. We'll see.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Speaking of power output, the new Corvette R06 puts out 385 hp from the 5.7L LS1, tested in this months Motor Trend. 16 valves, pushrods, still life in the old design.
    You're correct but did you happen to notice what a "modern" 5.4 motor put out in the same article?

With the 5.4's bore and stroke(very undersquare) it should naturally be a torquer but with its DOHC 4 valve heads it also has more horsepower giving up 20 cubes. AMAZING!!
    I also think it's an ls6 now; isn't it??
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    I didn't buy the mag...just read the horsepower and flipped to the specs page. The Mustang was fast...but $54,000?
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    Mod,
    what does that special 5.4 redline at?

i agree that Ford has finally figured out how to put some hp to the ground. I'd be real surprised, though, if the 5.4 revs as high as the 5.7 or the new 5.3. With the long stroke of the 5.4, piston speeds are substantially faster, creating a lot more stress...
  • superjim2000superjim2000 Member Posts: 314
    I'll take your word for it as I dont have a dictionary in front of me, but shop teachers were always picky about calling an engine a motor.

The LS1 based engines won't change much as they are still considered new and they were designed with tighter emmisions in mind.

I like DOHC engines, lots of power but they dont get the gas mileage of OHV engines.

Example, the Olds Intrigue with the 3.8 OHV V6 engine was rated at 30 mpg highway. When the new 3.5 DOHC V6 came out it was rated 27 mpg highway and it only made 10 more horsepower.

The 3.5 has DOHC and less displacement but doesn't get the mileage of the 3.8 OHV V6.

So I think there will always be a place for OHV engines, especially if CAFE numbers go up.
    That was freaky!!!! Post 65 was deleted, for what reason I don't know. Anyway both the 5.4 Ford and 5.7 Chevy redline at 6500. The Ford does have a 1/2" more stroke creating more piston speed. Ford did use some top shelf components in that motor like Carillo rods and coated pistons. What I thought was impressive was the DOHC 4valve motor made 32 more HP at 300 RPM LESS then the bigger pushrod motor. It also made 40#'s more torque at less RPM. These were rear wheel readings.

Superjim, the only answer I can give you on your gas mileage statement is usually the OHC motor is packaged in a more sporty setup with lower gearing etc. The OHC setup is usually a little more efficient but also tuned to turn higher RPM. My guess on GM is it was more the state of tune and gearing then the actual cam placement that caused the gas mileage figures. IMHO
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    After 30 or more days of inactivity....

this topic is being "frozen." It will be archived or deleted in the next 10 days or so.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.