Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    That's a cool car. I wonder why the owner put it away at 3 years old...some kind of mechanical failure I bet. And yeah, he's dreaming on that price. I'd rather have the best fintail in the country.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    edited December 2012
    Fuel economy must have been horrendous, and it probably belched enough noxious gases to melt 25% of the polar ice cap. However, it was a really cool car in its day. I wonder whether Al Gore might have owned a big displacement muscle or pony car back in the day.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,655
    Would you then really spend several thousand to have your old car(s) repainted?

If it was enough of an inheritance that I could afford to comfortably retire and never worry about money again, than I wouldn't hesitate to put a good resto on the DeSoto (right now it's mainly in the shop for mechanical stuff, but I don't want to mess with its 56 year old paint just yet), the Catalina, or the LeMans. Now, I might think twice about my two New Yorkers. I think one of them would stand a good chance of ending up with a Mopar Performance crate engine, though! :shades:
    I wonder if Pontiac was doing anything special to the 455 that went into the Trans Am by 1976, versus the one that went into regular cars like the full-size and intermediates? I think they're all rated at 200 hp, but I guess they could have still done something different with the camshaft, carb, or whatever, to give you a broader hp/torque curve, but still end up with the same peak hp?

Still, with a 4-speed, and in a car that wasn't especially heavy for the time, it must have been a fun ride!

In 1977, Pontiac offered two versions of the 400. There was a 180 hp version that was used in the mid- and full-sized cars, and a 200 hp version that was used in the Firebird/Trans Am and the "1977.5" Can Am. Or, if you were in CA or a high-altitude area, they'd substitute in a 185 hp Olds 403.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    I think it was a standard 455, I remember it had about 200 hp, and miles of vacuum hoses under the hood. When I bought it, they were all rotted, and I had a hell of a time figuring out where they all went with the vague diagram in the shop manual.

I was nervous when I took it for inspection, because I wasn't sure I had them in the right places, but the guy at the DMV had the same diagram I used, stared at the spaghetti pile of hoses for about 30 seconds, and said "looks good."

It was a fun car, though, good torque and would do a good smoky doughnut in a parking lot. (I bought it when I was 18 or 19.)
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
    First sunny Sunday here in 5 weeks, I got to take my old project car out for a spin. I was a little concerned about starting, as the battery is ~6 years old, and the weather is cold - but the car fired up on the first turn of the key as usual. Running pretty OK, an occasional miss here and there - eventually some adjustments will be needed. Not looking too bad:

Most interesting thing in the lot by far:

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    "The weather was cold." You crack me up sometimes, fintail! :P
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    There's been some frost the past couple mornings - that counts as cold for here! :shades:
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    Car shows nice. Perfect condition IMO. Nice enough to drive and park at a show, but not a trailer queen you are afraid to breathe on.

I have serious old car withdrawl. I want an older barge, but I shouldn't right now.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Thanks. It's a good 10 footer - not embarrassing to be seen in, but not exactly a trophy winner. I can drive it hard and not worry.

You should buy that 61 Caddy!
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466
    There is a 1971 Volvo 1800E in Hemmings Motor News this month. The seller apparently had a $103,000 rotisserie restoration performed. Now he is selling it. He doesn't mention how much he is asking, but I've got to believe that boy is about to get a hard lesson in return on investment.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    He's asking $121,000 for it, which is about $100,000 too much, sad to say.
    He's asking $121,000 for it

Well, he said that he has $121,000 into it. I'm tentatively giving him the benefit of the doubt that he doesn't expect all of that back. But I bet he's not expecting to lose $100K, which as you indicated is about what he will have to accept if he sells it. I foresee him owning that car for a l-o-o-o-ong time.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

edited January 2013
    Actually the ad says the price is $121,000. :surprise:

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/volvo/1800e/1498898.html
    I'll be switched. The print ad doesn't include his asking price. Hail the electronic age and pity the seller, who actually is that clueless.

He is merely exercising his First Amendment Rights! :P
    The First Amendment merely states "Congress shall pass no act..."

Doesn't say anything about the rest of us! :P
    I suspect that this Volvo isn't actually for sale---not seriously for sale at any rate. Best thing he could do is take it to a very high end auction and take his lumps on it.
    121K for something priced perhaps at 400% of actual value, and with no pics? Sign me up.
    Well yeah, that's what i mean. The whole thing is a bad joke.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    I tried going to his web site- he's a restorer/dealer, lots of cars shown, but not this one. :confuse:
    It would be like restoring a fintail, wanting all your money back and then some (I wonder how much of that claimed restoration cost is inflated labor rates), and then not showing any images of the car. I don't get it.
    I tried going to his web site- he's a restorer/dealer, lots of cars shown, but not this one.

Hmmm, this makes me wonder if the ad is a teaser, and he wants people to say "I've got to see that Volvo", go onto his site, and thereby see (and hopefully buy) another car shown there.

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    I went looking for pics of that nice safe $100k Volvo but all I found was this.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • blh7068blh7068 Member Posts: 375
    edited January 2013
    I wonder if Pontiac was doing anything special to the 455 that went into the Trans Am by 1976, versus the one that went into regular cars like the full-size and intermediates?

No. Just to clarify, it was the same 200 hp engine that could be had in the full size and station wagon lines.
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    That'll teach 'em not to mess up the handoff!
    Was actually thinking of looking at this, until I saw the interior. I'm fairly flexible but could never!

77 Continental

Hmm, i actually like that...LOVE the exterior color! But yeah, not so crazy about the green on the inside. I think if it had a velour interior it would come off better, but in leather and vinyl it looks too shiny and almost greasy. Plus, I don't like the way the carpeting doesn't quite match. Actually, if the leather/vinyl parts were closer in color to the carpeting, I might like it better.

I have a good friend who's crazy about that light jade green, and also crazy about Ford products, so I sent that link to him.
    Yes, I like the exterior as well. I've seen that exterior on a few 70s Continentals and it has always been with the green interior.

They look like old airline seats...I'd imagine in a hard turn you could slide 6 feet!
    3 grand, why not? Looks nice, period colors, can't get a lot of car for that money from any era - and that's a lot of car.
    Oh it certainly is a lot of car! 233 in and 5000lbs. Being a 77 probably has the 460 too.

77 is probably the best year for these barge Lincolns. You get the newer style grille with old style dash.

I have the old car bug bad right now. It needs to stop. The wife doesn't "forbid" it either. I think if I make any moves the S10 needs to go and I need to trade out of the LaCrosse for an SUV for the wife. The SUV would serve as the light hauler the S10 is, plus she really doesn't like the LaCrosse anyway.

The 04 Grand Marquis has been doing fine as a DD and believe this or not doesn't get that much worse FE than the Buick.

For 3K, there is probably a lot of pleasure there for the money, for people who are into those behemoths. I have to imagine it will sell relatively fast, even at 10mpg and being the size of an aircraft carrier.

Yeah, you'd have too many cars - an old car and a daily driver is more than enough unless you have a lot of parking. I am in that position too, and it is annoying - finding dry parking for both cars. My unit has one garage space, and I don't want either car to sleep outside.
    Three cars is certainly the limit. That is why when we got the GM (my Grandfather passed away) we sold the 08 Elantra.

Before I end up in a classic I will need to line up storage. My Aunt has a detached garage with virtually nothing in it and my brother's MIL has a two car garage with nothing but junk in it. I'm sure with a small fee per month she would clean up a little and let me park there. Actually I can't figure why she doesn't park her brand new car in there, but that seems common.

Under 5k is the number for sure. Like I've said plenty of times I want a decent looking reliable driver. The good thing is the cars I like are relatively cheap.

• michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Actually I can't figure why she doesn't park her brand new car in there, but that seems common.

In our neighborhood, there aren't any basements in the homes so many people use the garage for their excess stuff and the cars are in the driveway.

We've always managed to keep two cars in the garage at all time, with the 3rd car parked on the street in front of the house.
    My old condo had a 1-car garage, and there were eight units in my courtyard. Of those eight, only one person used the garage for his daily driver...and ironically, that guy couldn't drive worth a damn! He had a Toyota Solara, and I lost track of how many times he scraped it against the door opening. Once or twice, he hit the neighboring cars, as well. He walked with a severe limp, and I'm convinced he had Tourette syndrome.

Anyway, of the other seven...
    1 had a pop-up trailer in it
    1 had a Chevy Cavalier in it that the guy was storing
    4 were used for storage
    1 (mine) was used for storage of a non-daily driver. I'd alternate between the Catalina and the DeSoto.
    I can understand it a little without having a basement, however, this woman just has too much stuff. The house is fairly large (4BR/3BA) with a full basement and partial attic. No reason IMO to have the garage crapped up. There is probably no real dollars in the garage, but yet the new 30K car is outside. Makes no sense to me.

For me, 2 cars is all I want. I have toyed with the idea of more, but I can't do it. Too much work. Even getting a motorcycle has me thinking of how much I want to own.

For the fintail, I rent a garage space from a guy I know, and have parked it there for about 8 years. But - he wants out of the house, and has it listed now. He contacted me about 10 days ago and claimed he had an interested party, but hasn't talked to me since (I bet the inspection turned up surprises, and his asking price is optimistic). Still, I need to find other parking, and it isn't fun - as I pay a low rate, and am comfortable where I am, and it is a general pain around here finding someone willing to rent out a spot, as, like you mention, a lot of people waste garage space with useless junk. Space they could either protect their car with, or maybe even make a profit from. Every time it snows here, I like seeing newer 50K+ cars that show they aren't garaged. I couldn't do that.

It is nice having cheapish tastes. I almost don't want something too nice anyway - can't enjoy it as much.
    Too much work.

That's for sure, fin. I collected what I have from a practicality standpoint, but once I have it, I have to maintain it. Then after a decade or so, I get attached to it and then keep it out of a sense of commitment, even though there's really no reason to have it any longer.

Right now, I maintain five (of my six) vehicles in drivable condition. My plow truck is questionably drivable on a road, but I do maintain it for its purpose (plowing!). They suck time and money, both of which seem to be in diminishing supply every year. :sick:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    " Then after a decade or so, I get attached to it and then keep it out of a sense of commitment, even though there's really no reason to have it any longer. "

That's pretty much where I am. Attachment over logic. To break the cycle, maybe I should just lease the daily driver, so I can tell myself it isn't mine for good. But then I might try to buy at the end of the lease.

I also don't like to think what would happen once the cars are sold - my maintenance isn't perfect, but I fear someone would neglect them, especially the old car.
    Bingo. I'm sure that my van would end up in a crusher before too long were I to sell it. There's just too much of my life wrapped up in that sheet metal to say goodbye. I do keep it roadworthy (albeit not pleasing on the eyes like your fintail), though. If I didn't, it would definitely be better to let it go.

The F250 is only kept because it is immensely useful as a plow. It's so far gone, though, due to rust, that once it retires from that service, it's a goner. The interior is mint, though, so it's not a total loss. All older pickups have a following, so I'm sure the interior could find a good home with very little effort.

I think the C20 was the best vehicular purchase I've ever made. I paid $500 for it, have put maybe $2,000 into it over the last fifteen years (including tires when I first got it back on the road), and could sell it tomorrow for $5K. I guess if I factor in the depreciation of the dollar, I'm at least breaking even. Another $10K into it and I could have it as it came from the factory.

Since I have the space, I have no reasonable justification to offload them even if they do get maybe a thousand miles (combined) per year. :blush:
    If I was to sell the fintail, I would like it to go to someone with more money than sense, who would restore it - or someone who has experience caring for a car and doesn't want it as something cool and cheapish for their teenaged daughter (the car isn't particularly valuable, which opens some bad scenarios). Keeping it garaged would be important - I don't think it would have a long life out in the damp. I would be picky about the buyer. When I sold my W126 many years ago, it went to an older man who had owned one before - I felt good about that.

I justify keeping the fintail by my lack of other expensive vices (I am not a big drinker or gambler etc) - and that it gives me enjoyment. I have also had it since I was a teenager, drove it through college etc, so there is a little sentimental attachment. But if I faced a cross country move or something, there's a chance I might just move on. Sometimes I feel silly keeping a second car when I have no friends or co-workers with the same ball and chain.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    >> I also don't like to think what would happen once the cars are sold - my maintenance isn't perfect, but I fear someone would neglect them, especially the old car.

I understand the sentiment, but keep in mind it's OK to neglect a car. It's just a thing. It doesn't have feelings, it won't miss you, and it sure as heck does not have a soul, no matter what "enthusiasts" like to think about their cars.

You know the old saw: "Never love anything that can't love you back."

Cheers -Mathias
    Sometimes I feel silly keeping a second car when I have no friends or co-workers with the same ball and chain.

Yeah, but some of your friends and co-workers might have balls and chains of a different variety! The ball and chain I divorced back in 1996 cost me more than any one of my cars ever did!

I justify keeping the fintail by my lack of other expensive vices (I am not a big drinker or gambler etc) - and that it gives me enjoyment.

I think this is the most important thing. It gives you enjoyment. And that's hard to put a price on.
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    This is very common in my neoghborhood as well and I don't understand it. All are at least 4BR houses, some on a slab some w/basement but I'd bet 60% have not just one but both cars parked outside because the garage is packed.

I asked a neighbor once, who both he and the wife had less than 2 yr old cars with a total value of ~50k, why not clear the garage and park inside.

The answer I got was 'you don't have kids, you don't understand'.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    I asked a neighbor once, who both he and the wife had less than 2 yr old cars with a total value of ~50k, why not clear the garage and park inside.

The answer I got was 'you don't have kids, you don't understand'.

Seems like most families are just a box or two away from appearing on an episode of "Hoarders".

When we moved into our house (1600sf, 3bd, 2.5ba, slab), the kids were 14 and 12. We made everything fit and were still able to park our cars (Expedition, New Beetle) in the garage.

Having a place to keep our cars out of the weather was one of the reasons we bought the house.

On our block, I know of only a couple of houses where the garage holds two cars - Jeep Grand Cherokee and a Miata in one, Nissan Xterra and Chevy S10 in the other.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    I'd like to know what his kids drive that take up his garage.

I have 2 boys. The bikes/trikes/scooters hang from hooks on the walls out of the way, and the battery operated jeep sits out on the back patio under a cover. It helps tremendously that I have a very large shed out back, but that has nothing to do with the kids. That holds the lawn furniture, lawn tools, and tractor.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

You mean cars aren't people too? ;)

When I say neglect, I more mean destroy the effort put into the car by simply keeping it together and roadworthy. The right/wrong person could undo that pretty quickly. It's a shame to see something that survived for 50 years being ruined by an idiot.

The car might not have a soul, but it has a temper sometimes :shades:
    edited January 2013
    An old friend of mine had 2 old cars, once. Then he got hitched - and has none. But he has 2 mortgages and 2 kids to make up for it. I think I prefer the car :shades:

Pleasure is often worth more than the price paid, especially if the price is relatively low.

About the full garages, many people overestimate the value of their flea market at best quality clutter.
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    I think laziness comes into play. Looking into his garage I saw nothing that a weekend afternoon and $100 in shelves/hooks/hangers/crates from Home Depot wouldn't cure.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha