Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    Er, well, potentially nice, but a good low-rust beginning, anyway. Of course, we don't know the reserve, so this candidate really isn't quite 'fair'. Anyway, I vote 'save'.

Here we go again with the interchangable Chevy wheels: note the early '70s Chevelle/Nova wheels attached to that S-10 frame! Oh, when will it end?
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,272
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&cate- gory=6427&item=4504928095&rd=1

Buy it now price is $2800. I saw walk.

I appreciate the sellers forthrightness about the condition. His diatribe is actually a little amusing.

He doesn't know the milage, has that cheeso rear hatch and an 88 T/A isn't that collectible to begin with. This car in great shape and about 100,000 miles is worth 5 grand if you find a loyalist. It's also not a good sign that the seller is running a Trans Am junkyard out of his driveway besides.

Tell me what you think.
  • 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    Car is rusting on the exterior, plus it is in Illinois so it is probably rusting underneath too. For what he is asking, and what it would cost to restore, I would get a more desirable year.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,655
    maybe pull out the engine and tranny, and put it in that Monte Carlo shell that Shifty posted earlier! Or that '59 GMC pickup...

But as far-gone as that body is, it's time to scrap. It's just too easy to find one of these that's still rust-free. And the rust on that one looks terminal!
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    thumbs down on the TA. Looks like a total money pit, and even if it was perfect, not desirable.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    The trailer parks are saturated with this kind of rubbish. I could see if the car was a 1969 model or an early '70s model with the 455
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    To the shredder. The car is worth about $150.
    Okay here's a project for you Mopar-ians.

http://www.craigslist.org/eby/car/49278139.html

Thumbs up or thumbs down?
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    While I wouldn't mind having a restored one of those, man.....that looks like a $500 car to me. At the price he wants, in that condition....I'd walk away......quickly.
    I have to agree. I love the car itself, but just in too rough of a condition for the price he is asking. The rust kills it. I'd walk.
    It may not even be salvagable. I saw an episode of Monster Garage where Boyd's boys pulled at 56 Chevy out of the scrap yard. It looked OK from far, but when they disassembled it, it was so far gone that it went right back where it came from.
    ...I'd love to have a 1957-58 Chrysler but this one is too far gone. Rust was the Achille's Heel of these Mopars.
    as the '57-58 Chrysler and DeSoto, on the 126" wheelbase, are my favorite cars of all time. But even I'd have to let that one pass at that price.

I'd have to actually see pics of the quarters, rocker panels, and floors to really make a decision though.

If it was a New Yorker or DeSoto Firedome/Fireflite instead of just a Windsor, then it would be a no-brainer for me, and I'd vote SAVE in a heartbeat. But it's just a poly-head and not a Hemi, like those other cars would have. And those others were more likely to have the 3-speed Torqueflite, whereas this thing, along with the DeSoto Firesweep, most likely just had a 2-speed Powerflite. I could be wrong on that one, though.

And it's a shame that some of the body parts that don't look rusted out, like the hood, driver's side door, and front bumper are still damaged.
    I'd vote SCRAP because the car is too far gone and isn't an interesting model anyway.

Okay, how 'bout something a bit more hopeful? These old wrecks are getting depressing.

Remember though you have to pay the asking price:

http://www.craigslist.org/eby/car/49236168.html
    you follow up my favorite Mopar of all time with my favorite Caddy of all time! I'm going to tell common sense to take a flying leap and vote SAVE on this one! I can even do with the Earl Sheib paintjob!
    61 was the year of the restyle. This one looks pretty good. I think there were @16,000 of these 2 door hardtops made that year. Looks like this one is missing the fender skirts and 2 hubcaps from a cosmetic standpoint.
    yep, color's wrong and the transmission is probably toast. If it was a simple leak, why not fix it? Probably front pump, etc. etc.

This one is very edgey at the price because you can buy 'em pretty nice for $6,500. So facing the removal of that ghastly paint job and possible trans overhaul and all that, this is obviously a car you are just gonna buy and drive around while people make fun of it.

so I'd vote TENTATIVE SAVE with the qualifier that you do NOT attempt a restoration, otherwise, part it out to restore a more worthy convertible. I assume lots of chrome goodies and interior switchgear, etc. is interchangeable...or if you need an engine or trans core to rebuild.
    by that Caddy. Where is San Leandro? Anywheres near San Andreas? ;-)
    South of San Francisco a little ways.
    I want it! Last time I saw a '61-62 Coupe DeVille for sale around here, I think it was more like $10K+, unless it was a total basket case.
    It would look good with a set of gold wire wheels, a hydraulic suspension, tinted windows and blue neon underneath - fo shizzle!!!
    how much it would cost to ship that sucker to Maryland?
    if there's not a lot of hidden rust, interior is decent, and it runs......I'll vote save on the Caddy.
    Probably about $650-$750 ??

I don't care for the Caddy myself, but it certainly looks/sounds nice enough to save, although the correct price isn't something I would have any idea about. But, for a collectible/classic/funky old car, $3,500 doesn't sound like much money at all, and you really can't get too buried in it (not like paying $12,000 for a 2K car).

If you really want it (like Andre), and plan to keep it, overpaying by a few bucks ain't the worst thing in the world.

Shoot, maybe I'll go for it! That god-awful paint job has to go! Ugh, what was he thinking? Transmission isn't a problem. A good friend of mine owns a transmission shop and would cut me a break.
    that's still pretty reasonable. Last time I took the Intrepid in for a tranny service, it came out to a whopping $79. And the guy actually APOLOGIZED for the high price! In comparison my '79 NYer was $65, but the Intrepid takes a special type of fluid that's more expensive.

I would LOOOOVE something like that '61 Caddy, but I'm wondering if I should hold out for a convertible?
    For $3500, that ride is sweet. End of story. I'd never be able to park it in Queens, but otherwise, I love it. Put it this way, for $3500, what is better: the Caddy or a 98 Contour?
    Andre: You already have a full size convert though. Or would yo uget the Caddy and replace some of hte other old iron?

If I get a toy, it will be a convertible, but I do recognize that the fixed roof models will generally be cheaper to buy and own,, and probably less problematic (and chaeper to restore).

• bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    I don't mind the paint job on the Caddy so much. It's gaudy, but so is the rest of the car. $3500 isn't bad for a '61 that's not a beater, so I say keep it.
    Yes, keep it. This car doesn't look like a basket case, which is usually what $3500 will buy you in an early '60s Cadillac. That price is basically a bargain unless it's hiding some serious faults.
    Can't tell if this one is the Series 62 (base, power windows and seat optional) or the Coupe de Ville (both standard, not much difference otherwise).
    ....you know the song ('more than meets the eye, robots in disguise').
    ;-)
    I was kinda partial to Voltron, myself!
    Awwww, I thought it was REAL! Wouldn't you just love to see the look on a meter maid's face when you hit the "go" button?

Okay, next project car for your consideration:

http://www.craigslist.org/sby/car/49367568.html
    I'd definitely vote "SAVE" for it, but then I'm also partial to old limos, hearses, and the like. Even if I could never get my money out of it, I think it would be fun.

Now NOT fun in a "performance" sort of way, that is! In '79 these things came with a 166 hp 400 (unless they held over some 460's for limo use). Now my friend says my '79 NYer 360-2, which is hardly a rocket, will walk his '78 Mark V with a 460-4 like a dog, so I have a feeling that this much heavier, much more emasculated limo would probably set new records for the quarter mile! New LOW records, that is! ;-)
    In great shape, I don't think this would be worth 5 grand. Unless your next stop is Pimp My Ride, I don't see a great deal of potential here.
    Can't see that this thing would be all that fun to drive. If I was going to restore a car, I would at least want it to be fun to drive.
    You could live in it, maybe even rent out part of it to cover the loan :)
    You could use it to drive drunks to the old Disco on Saturday nights - to give them the full 70's effect. $25 per person for a round trip...
    maybe if we tile the floors...yuck!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&cate- gory=6164&item=4505392801&rd=1

Here is an interesting one. This doesn't have a buy it now price, so let's call at $4,000.

The Chevelle is a little less off the beaten path than some of these other cars discussed here. There is a big market for these cars. The SS350 is less desirable than the big blocks but is still valuable and desirable in good shape.

Unfortunately, the seller is short on details here. The stripe isn't factory but this does have some signs that it's authentic such as the dash and emblem on the rear bumper (1972 only). The wheels are 72 SS also although they did come in later cars. Most people doing a fake usually don't bother with the dash. Do the numbers match??? Probably not.

Being that the interior is nice, if the engine does run strong, I'd say it's ago for $3,500 to $4,000. Could be a big mistake once you see it up close, but just judging from what's here.
    Price isn't too bad, but I just have absolutely no interest in that car, so I have to vote scrap out of sheer disinterest alone.

*edit - this was concering the Lincoln limo.
    on the Chevelle, although it really doesn't interest me. I think it's probably worth it, but when it comes to cars like this, I'd rather have a Cutlass 4-4-2 or a Buick Gran Sport. Or a GTO. Or a '68-69 Chevelle SS.
    In 72, you could get the SS package added to any V8 model. That means even the 307 that was rated at @130hp (going from memory) that year could come with the SS designation. In my opinion, this kind of made the SS designation not quite as special as it was in years past. However, you could pick this one up for 4 grand, put a paint job on it and drive it around. I would say keep it.
    OK, assuming your $4000 price, no major rust, runs like he says, and IF (big if) this is an actual "SS".......I say save. I'd be interested in it despite the current paint(s).
    Anybody now many SS models were made in '72? I've got no idea.
    5,333 of the SS 454's - I don't know production #s for the other engines. But like I said earlier, by 72 you could get the SS package added on any of the V8 models. I think there was a 307, 350, 396 (I think), and 454.
    ...on both the limo and the Chevelle. The Lincoln definately needs a new top and perhaps a paint job, but the interior looks good.

The Chevelle is hardly my kind of car, but I can think of plenty of people who'd be interested in such a vehicle.