Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Frontier Crew Cab vs Ford Explorer Sport Trac - II

Comments

• Options
    mahimahimahimahi Member Posts: 497
    Nice truck...I had to put my sunglasses on! :) I like the cap you guys(you and keanec) have, they both look good! I like your 4x4x4 nice touch. I'm not a huge fan of the caps...because they usually don't look good but, these look awesome on these trucks, good job guys. I kind of want to see one on a sport-trac, just to see what it does to it's lines. I can see both sides of why you would or wouldn't want to get a cap. I had a hard tonnaeu on my s-10...it made it very difficult to haul really anything, but I used it more as a race truck than anything anyway. We need to post more pics...Fordspoorttrac, Steve234, or rjkunkle got any of yours? Throw them up there or you can e-mail them to me and I'll put them up there, same with the rest of you CC owners.
  • Options
    keaneckeanec Member Posts: 349
    Fishing wasn't two hot! The women won with a 13lb Salmon; the men just got 2 2lb pinks :(!

The truck perfomred well towing although I am curious as to how the AT works with respect to the OD. It seems on some hilss it "hunted" for a middle gear while going up really steep hills while OD was off. When I clicked it on, it found the right gear, about 200-400rpm higher than the with OD off. When the tranny went up one gear with OD off, it jumped from 3100rpm (at 58mph or so) to 4500+. Why couldn't the tranny find the middle gear at 3600rpm when the OD was off? Remember you said the rpm went up when you switched on OD? I had that happen a couple off times. It seems there is a gear that is about 500rpm different after each gear; 3rd and 4th. I really don't know - I am going to see if I can get to the bottom of it.

By the way; I do have the sunroof. I didn't buy the racks because I wouldn't use them, and I have had experiences in the past where the interior noise level rose when racks were installed. I also don't think they would look good with my cap. If you saw what I took camping this weekend, you would understand the immense value of the cap vs a hard top!
  • Options
    There are two things I've learned not to challenge women to that is: Fishing and picking the winning team in afootball game! They' re always right...there's nothing worse than woman gloating in those areas :)

You know about the tranny o/d on/off thing, I experimented and meant to post it to you guys. What I found out was if I had my foot on the gas and (while I was traveling or in motion)switched the O/D on it the RPM's increased as I described but, as soon as I let up on the gas it all switched to lower RPM's like it should. When I took my foot off the gas pedal and switched the O/D on it was normal the RPM's lowered. Make sense? So what I do is if I'm going to switch to O/D just lift my foot off of the accelerator and swicth it...no problems. As for the hunting it's hard to say why other than a bad combination of weight, power and slope. That's going to happen with any vehicle with the same load percentage that you are carrying and slope differential.

I don't know that I will ever use the rack either but, I have it anyway. To me it makes the truck look bigger. There is definately wind noise w/o the wind-deflector on but, with it on I don't even hear it at all...of course I never hear any of it because I always have the radio on :). I wouldn't put a tonneau cover on a 4x4 maybe a cap but not a tonneau like I said I've been that route. I was a pain anytime I wanted to haul anything anytime...especially my dogs.
  • Options
    tskeplertskepler Member Posts: 1
    I would like to tow a camper with the Frontier. The camper is about 4200 lbs, will this truck pull this well? I really like the style of the truck but I need to be able to tow. Any experience?
  • Options
    I tow a 21' Wellcraft when loaded weighs about that with no problems. Keanec or Gooba shpould be able to help you, I don't have enough travel trailer towing experience but they do! i would recommend(if your state doesn't require them) brakes for sure. :)
  • Options
    fordsporttracfordsporttrac Member Posts: 300
    tskepler,

Some of the Nissan guys are gonna jump right in and tell you "No Problem". The trade rags say "Problem". I am NOT an CC owner but if I were you I would wait and look at the new supercharged CC model due out at the end of the year. Especially since you'll be towing close to the MAX weight.

The trade rags consistently give low marks on the CC's standard 3.3 engine.

All of the above is IMHO. :-)
  • Options
    goobagooba Member Posts: 391
    I personally would opt for a larger truck.The CC would pull it,but it is close to max rating.I would recommend a full size truck if you plan on pulling it very far.If the size of the truck is a factor,and you want to stay in this class of truck,then I would recommend the Dakota Quad Cab with the 5.2L or 5.9L V8 engines.Whichever truck you decide on,insure that the truck has the heavy duty cooling as well as a tranmission cooler rated at 20000 GVW.
  • Options
    See I told you guys I don't know about towing campers :) The thing I don't think about is you usually tow a camper farther than you do a boat. So I agree with you guys, that's alot of weight for a long haul and not including the gear and persons! He needs a bigger truck no doubt. If it were a boat I'd say he'd be ok...well probally not because again that weight would be dry. BIGGER TRUCK = LESS PROBLEMS in this case. Sorry, I jumped the gun was thinking boats(one track mind :) )
  • Options
    4200 lbs could be pushing it. It depends if the 4200 lbs is the GVWR or the actual dry weight of the Travel Trailer. It is also important to find out the tongue weight. Reasons: I have a 3700lb dry weight travel trailer. When you add batteries, propane tanks, air conditioners, etc... it is pushing 4200lbs. Now add food, beer, pop, clothes, bedding, etc.. and it pushes 5000lbs. Add to that, the extra weight of cargo in the truck and you are starting to really load the truck down. If the weight of the trailer is dry weight of the trailer is over 3700lbs you are probably going to go over the vehicle rating and nobody recommends that (me included). The dry tongue weight shouldn't exceed 400lbs either because when you put full propane tanks and a battery on the front that tongue weight could easily exceed the recommended 500lbs.

I have an old 4200 dry weight Coachman that the truck pulls easily - BUT, I have only pulled it without any extra weight (no battery or propane or clothes, food or beer, etc..)

In terms of power - Ford ST says that the trade mags cut the engine down. He could be right; but what I see the trade mags cutting down is it's zero to 60 times and passing prowess. I have seen trade mags, and I just posted about them a while ago that mention the 3.3l as a very torque(y), solid engine. That is what I agree with - it has the low end power to tow half decently. In my experience it can keep you and your 4500-5000lb trailer going at 50-60mph in hilly terrain. (if you live in the mountians, I am not as sure). Yes you will slow, but mosts trucks do when you tow. I just came back from a long trip, and I was slowed down by many other RV's that were being towed.

If you do decide on the CC here are a couple of hints I would highly recommend:

1. Use stabalizer bars (load Levellers). (A must)
    2. Trailer brakes!!
    3. Tranny cooler!!
    4. Tranny heat gauge (nice to have, could do with out.
    5. A roof wind deflector doesn't look pretty, but it will improve your towing power greatly.
    6. Don't be in a hurry, and don't push the truck.

A last suggestion is to ask Nissan about their ratings and suggestions.
  • Options
    Good advice. I too haven't seen any of the articles 'cut'on the 3.3L. In fact I've read that it makes a great engine for towing, not a bad truck engine. It's just not a speed demon, usually speed demons make bad tow vehicles(not geared right)
  • Options
    Got another pet peeve about my CC - The shade on the sunroof!!! Why didn't they make it a sliding shade that goes under the roof liner??? When you take it off, you have to put it behind the rear seat. That is okay, but what happens when you just want to cover it for a minute while driving? or you have two car seats with tether straps? It's really a pain to unbuckle first the seat belts, then the tether straps. It is even harder when you have both kids in the car!!!!!

For those counting; that's 2 peeves; Sunroof shade and cup holders that stick and come out!

#3 pet peeve - ashtray location!!! Not being a smoker (thank God!! it would make this complaint worse!) I use the ashtray as a change holder. For those of you that own a CC you know where I am going, it sucks as a change holder! You usually need the change when the shifter is in park and the ashtray is located right behind the shifter. Try getting your grubby little fingers in there!! (It is also a [non-permissible content removed] shape for change!)

How about the ST? ny pet peeves yet??
  • Options
    I don't use the ashtray, I just throw the change in the console. The ashtray isn't big enough for all the change I accumulate :)
    To me the whole damn sunroof should be electric to begin with. I mean it is the year 2000. That's one thing that Honda has over anybody is their sunroofs, they are the best. Actually they're called a moonroof, because it's clear and has a sunshade that slides into the headliner.
  • Options
    My pet peve is the electric seat controls can't be reached very easily with the drivers door closed.
    And the center rear view mirror is too low.

Ash cup is fine. I move it to the open tray when I need another cup holder. The arm rest has coin slots so I put the soon to be extinct tokens in the ash cup.

ST sun roof is great. The drivers window, sunroof and rear window all have one touch open.
  • Options
    ricprricpr Member Posts: 24
    Well I was cruising through San Antonio and there it was, the new Nissan CC. My thoughts:

1. Front end- Looks like the ST. I bet this will attract more buyers, it has a muscular look to it.

2. Tires- Either the base tires are smaller, the truck is lower or both.

3. Interior- The same.

4. Fender flares- A matter of taste, personally I like the originals as they had a cleaner line with the style of the truck.

5. The best improvement (besides the turbo boost) by far is the tail gate re-do and the key for the gate. I would recommend the under the rail liner with this gate. The bed liner and the key housing do not look good together.

Overall opinion: The truck appears to be a good improvement. I don't think there will be too many complaints about power with the 210hp option. As for the Car & Driver comment about not placing the Maxima/Pathfinder motor in the CC, how many people would buy the Pathfinder if the CC and Xterra offered the same powerplant? What a load! Now Nissan can concentrate on the one thing over looked....interior comfort, specifically rear seat space.
  • Options
    The trade rags reported the new CC is lower.

So the CC's off road ability has been reduced to that of the ST. There goes your clearance advantage folks. Looks like the new CC owners will be reduced to dirt parking lots like us ST folks.

• Options
    cncmancncman Member Posts: 487
    FST;
    Actually even with the lowering,( I think 1-3CM)
    The CC still has more ground clearance. Another thing I was reading about the ST is that it only has one serpentine accessory belt, this operates the water pump, PS, alternator and AC, bad design,
    if that belt breaks, everything goes. FST, I took a closer look at an ST on the street today, it has
    these plastic things, tie downs maybe? on the side of the bed at the top, do those ever get in the way for you?
  • Options
    cncman your Nissan Salesman is starting to show.

Yep the ST has one BIG sprocket/serpentine type belt.

So I guess your saying the CC has
    1 belt for the AC
    1 for the Power Steering
    1 for the Water Pump and
    1 for the brakes.

Just to be the devils advocate... It seems like allot of maintenance to me. And if you break the belt in the back you can be assured the mechanic will say "listen I have to remove all the belts to get to the back belt so you might as well replace them all now $$$." And the only belt that could break and still safely drive the CC would be the AC belt. Doesn't sound like a benefit to me. I'll stick with the fewer moving parts and single belt.

The tie down cleats on the sides of the bed are rated at 70lbs each. I use them almost every time I haul stuff taller then the bed. They are VERY convenient. They also make a great place to hang my daughters diaper bag while I reach in for her car seat.

With the Tonneau cover installed they are VERY handy for tying down large stuff like inflatable toys, rafts and inner tubes. That still leaves the entire locked bed for the more important stuff.

And to address your comment about them getting in the way.... No the fender flares out too much for anyone to hit them while walking by.

And 3 CM would bring the CC extremely if not exactly the ground clearance of an ST.
  • Options
    I just got back from the store and I'm going to enjoy my night alone here(girlfriend is out of town)smoke a Cohiba(Cuban, not one of those Dominican) and enjoy a glass of Chianti. On my way back I stopped at a Nissan dealership(not the one I bought mine at)nearby. They had two 2001's on the lot a crew cab(white) 2wd and a Desert Runner(black) both were SE's. It's really, really, ashame that they didn't improve the Frontier. They are so ugly, and those damn fender flares are worse than I thought about those rivets. These rivets will most certainly collect everything from dirt to wax to being a pain while drying the truck after a wash. Not to mention they were very flemsy on the two here. The pictures make the 'silver' on the inside look like brushed aluminum...not so in real life. They are plastic pieces, spray painted with a can of silver paint. You can see the plastic grain in them. What the hell were they thinking putting PLASTIC bumpers on it? Toyota does that noe and I heard they are changing that for 2001(I guess they learned their lesson). I'm sorry but plastic bumpers do not belong on a truck IMHO! Plus if that wasn't bad enough, they painted the rear bumper! Oh and the cloth interior...unbelieveable, ugly ugly patterns(checker board, you could almost play checkers on it), we never saw that because all they showed us were the leather seats. I still can't believe they didn't improve the rear seat...make it fold down. The only things I did like that they had were the controls for the radio and the new steering wheel was nice, but the rest...Let's just say that I'm glad I got the 2000 model.

It's really sad because this was Nissan's chance to set the mark again with a style they got the jump on. By the end of the model year it will be two years behind the rest for sure!
  • Options
    fordsporttrac,
    I know you were only breaking horns but I own a 2000 my ride hieght hasn't changed ;)

On that point it was only the RIDE hieght not the clearence that was changed. To change the clearence they would to change tire size or the design of the 'pumpkin'. If Nissan didn't spend any money on changing the design of the truck they certainly didn't on changing the design of the pumpkin, maybe tires but the CC I saw tonight had the same tires that are on my truck.
  • Options
    FST;
    Maybe it is just me, but I would rather have one thing go out than four, as to the maintenance cost of replacing the belt, what do you think costs more, 2 extra small belts, (assuming it was the back one that broke and you did want to replace the other 2) or one serpentine belt? I see what you are saying about the tie downs on the side, just from looking at it, I thought they may poke you in the ribs when trying to get something out of the side. Actually I think Mahi is right, it is just the body that was lowered a tad, and even if not, there is still a 3" difference in ground clearance, 6.7" vs 9.7".
  • Options
    sphaughsphaugh Member Posts: 2
    eom
  • Options
    danny25danny25 Member Posts: 119
    Yes. Toyota's new Double Cab should come out some time this year. I think it's a 2001 model.
  • Options
    cncman
    How many belts does the CC actually have?
    What do those belts Drive?

Mahi..
    If they lowered the body 3" where did the 3" go? Does the new CC have less head room? Lower Ground clearance? Did they lower the frame? It had to go somewhere.
  • Options
    Just my two bits on your last post...I am sure mahi & cncman will also reply.

Belts: I was checking out the engine the other day and I thought I saw 3 belts...I would be concerned about having only one belt because if it breaks, it means tow! With 3 belts, it could be tow, if the belt that breaks, breaks the other belts. I also think that the time saved to change one belt is probably minimal. As to cost, wouldn't you have to make the one superbelt much stronger, which could make the one belt cost close to the three belts? Also, with three belts, the chances of changing all three at the same time is small, but with one you are in effect changing all three every time. I think if a mechanic gets onto this discussion, he/she could probably give us sound opinions.

Did they say the CC GROUND CLEARANCE was lowered, or the BODY height was lowered. Also, did they say 3 CM or 3 inches (1 inch = 2.5CM)? If they said body lowered, the ground clearance doesn't change and you don't lose inside room. If they said ground clearance, then they must have changed the tire size and the whole suspension (which they might have).
  • Options
    I was checking out your picture and notice the background. Are you from New Mexico or Area? My mother use to live there and I visited quite a few times...Nice area. I realize that the background could be from many western states, but it reminds me of New Mexico.

godawgs2000 - So you have had your new ST for over a month...Comments??
  • Options
    No,I am in Arizona.Similar desert only I believe hotter here.The sand dunes are close by and the beaches are not that far off.
  • Options
    FST;
    Has 3 belts. The ground clearance has stayed the same, the body was slightly lowered to give it a "stance" does not effect the interior room at all.
    It is not inches, but cm, this was for cosmetics, just like you can have a body lift kit that raises the body, ground clearance stays the same and room does too. Well, I have had a chance to see most of the colors and options and interiors on all of the frontiers now. My observations;
    Best looking crew cab-SE in Alpine green with black body side molding, VERY NICE!
    Best looking Desert runner, Yellow XE with the black fender flares and bumper.
    Best looking 4cylinder, tie-red XE with black fenders and silver ice with body colored package.
    I agree with Mahi (I think it was him) about the SE cloth interior, I have no idea how they come up with some of this stuff, the dark checkerboard does not look good at all, although the tan interior looks good, I like it, (less contrast).
    Then again, I did get used to the tiger striped SE interior in the 2000's too after awhile. The tan interior in the XE's is alot better than the 00's.
    It doesn't look too light, I almost thought it was the grey at first, simple pattern, nice texture, very good. FUlly loaded CC's with the leather package is very nice, almost feel like you are sitting in a maxima, the auto load 6 disc changer is nice especially with the RDS and the steering wheel controls. Also the new wheels for the XE models are much improved too, I do wish they changed the 16" on the SE's though, but I do get the feeling they will once they use up the old stock. I haven't read anything about it, but it seems like they put more sound insulation in it, seems a little quieter. We are trying to hide most of them in the back until we get rid of the rest of the 2000's, (only have 3-4 left) but people keeping having us pull them around, Oh well, it's work. Very positive response so far, I am already taking deposits for particular models again, well,
    I will post more later, don' want to be too long.
  • Options
    Forgot to mention; cool looking yellow truck!! I tried to buy the yellow SE in Canada from a dealer - wouldn't move on the price... said they were only making 5 for Canada. It would have cost $2500 more for the yellow so...Green it is!

Have only driven through Arizona a couple of times on my way to Vegas (in a older 200sx). Got dinged in '87 for a $179 ticket for going 92mph; I think I was in Nevada though. Never did pay the ticket; I figured they wouldn't extradite me from Canada for that! It is hard to keep the speed down on those flat long roads!
  • Options
    Thanks for the compliment.I waited 6 months to get that truck,and it was worth the wait.I have,to my knowledge the only Solar Yellow 4x4 here.The shell and the decals sur keeps the people turning their heads.
    I usually make it to Vegas at least 4 times a year.That was another reason on the color.When we park in the parking garage it would be easy to spot.
  • Options
    cygnusx1cygnusx1 Member Posts: 290
    According to Ford Motor Company internal documents received by BlueOvalNews, Ford has ordered dealers to stop selling the popular 2001 Explorer Sport and Sport Trac models manufactured through August 7, 2000 and equipped with the Firestone Wilderness AT 15" manufactured in Decatur. In addition to this action, BlueOvalNews has uncovered that Ford has included vehicles with Firestone tires that may have already been replaced with Firestone Wilderness P235/75 R15 tires.
  • Options
    lflsdlflsd Member Posts: 5
    I just visited Edmund's "Explorer Perpetual Woes" site and was reading some of the horror stories. Anyway, after reading these stories, I can't imagine why anyone would consider an Explorer. I certainly would recommend that anyone considering an Explorer of any type spend some time reading these posts. If you decide to buy one then, at least you can't say that you weren't warned.
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Never ceases to amaze me at the amount of Ford bashing that takes place. Nonetheless the Explorer continues to be the SUV of choice and has been since its debut. Don't you think by now enough people would have heard about what a piece of crap these are supposed to be and sales numbers would have fallen? Have you ever thought once, just once that maybe there are tons of satisfied Explorer owners out there? This is why the Explorer continues to be #1?
  • Options
    Read the paper vince.The sales HAVE fallen in light of the tire problem.HA HA
  • Options
    I was curious if you knew of a TSB from Nissan on the carrier bearings on the Frontier.Any info would be appreciated.
  • Options
    I'm not bashing Ford. Owners of Ford Explorers are bashing Ford. I was just reading their comments and suggested that anyone considering an Explorer read them. Funny, but I don't see the same type of comments from CC owners about their vehicles. But I suppose with your convoluted sense of reasoning that does not mean that CC owners are more satisfied with their vehicles. You are correct that Ford Explorers are the best-selling SUV but that distinction has nothing to do with quality and reliability.
  • Options
    See this is what amazes me about the ford buyers,
    Ford has problems with, steering wheels falling off at the factory, no manual tranny in the ST because of problems with it, delays and recalls on the escape, all the problems with the mustang cobra, paint missing on the ST, leaky sunroofs, gas tank lids rubbing, ranger 4.0's leaking, dieseling, wipers possessed, etc, etc, ford has done some of the most expensive and numerous safety recalls of any manufacturer, the windstar is almost as much of a reliability joke as the chrysler van transmissions, and still people go on and on about how they are built just as good as the imports, I think ford does alot of things right, like safety, nice convenience features, decent ride on most models, fairly attractive designs, and I can see overlooking quality for those things to a certain degree, but come on, what's the deal?
  • Options
    I saw a Ford Escape yesterday at a local dealership. I didn't go up to it and lok inside but, from the outside looks like Ford did a pretty good job copying the Xterra. This one was even a yellow one almost the same shade.
  • Options
    fordsporttrac,
    Sorry been in the other topics. If I had to guess it would be the suspension that would be shorter. The body is the same axles 'look' the same tire, wheels and soforth were the same that I have. But, I thought that what I read was that it was only the S/C models that were shorter, I can't remember. I know it was an article testing the S/C and they mentioned the hieght thing because of better center of gravity because they expect people buying the S/C will want the performance or something like that. But I believe it's in the suspension, I was supposed to be only like an inch or less too.
  • Options
    steve234steve234 Member Posts: 460
    You want to justify your chose of Nissan by finding fault with Ford. The correlation is only in your mind. Ford makes 10 times as many Explorers as the entire line of Nissan PUs and have been making them for ten years. There is naturally going to be more of them with problems. Simple math.
    Second, the buying base for the Explorers is much different than the Nissan. On average,the Nissan buyer is younger and more activity inclined. The majority of the Explorer buyers are soccer mom types. They have usually had a little car to get around in. They have kids now and all their friends have SUVs. They buy a loaded SUV and want car performance from it. The more options they have, the more potential things that ccan go wrong. They are also in the age group that is most involved with the internet.
    All these factors play a large part of the bitching. Almost every make has a 'my (blank)sucks' forum. People love to wallow in the negatives and don't want to count virtues. In one of James Herriot's books, the farmer who was warned that because he had waited too long and was likely to lose the calf, ranted in a booming voice about the poor vet'nary service, while the man with the soft, low voice was praising a miraculous cure. To judge any make on the basis of the loud angry people is ignorant.
  • Options
    But Steve,
    Even though they make more vehicles, they all should be made almost identicle at the factory, why don't we hear news reports of Camry's steering wheels falling off or Crew Cabs with missing paint etc.? And why is Ford rated under the industry average in quality and the imports higher? These reports are based on problems per 100 vehicles.I just don't buy the argument that the imports don't have as many problems as ford because they don't build as many, and that it has nothing to do with how they are built, if there is a design flaw or defective manufacturing, the problem will be there whether you build 100 or 100,000 of them.
  • Options
    I'm not trying to justify my choice of Nissan by finding fault with Ford. I don't need to justify my decision to myself or anyone else. I considered an Explorer and decided on the Nissan CC for the following reasons: Price (at least $5,000 less for a similarly equipped vehicle); Ride Quality (if I'm going to get a vehicle that rides like a truck, I might as well get a truck. Actually the Nissan CC has a better ride than the Explorer) and finally Quality and Reliability (nuff said).
    I'm not bashing Ford. Owners of Ford Explorers are finding fault with Ford and voicing their displeasure on the various forums. I believe that a consumer should arm him(her)self with all available information before making such a large purchase.
  • Options
    You still haven't answered my belt question. How many belts and what do they drive.
  • Options
    Jezz I would have thought that lowering the suspension would be a bad thing. I forget who it was that posted when they were towing it hit the rubber stops and bottomed out a few times. Unless they beefed it up at the same time.
  • Options
    (at least $5,000 less for a similarly equipped vehicle)

Now thats stretching the truth. If you want to do some math we can compare Edmunds figures.
  • Options
    That was me who posted about the truck hitting the stops when I am loaded up. I heard that Nissan re-engineered the suspension so they might have been able to lower it without effecting the suspension travel.

Go ahead and do the math; but - if the dealers don't want to deal on price with the ST - the "math" lflsd does works. In fact, I paid about $9000can (if not more) less for my CC than a somewhat comparably equiped ST (including taxes). Now convert the $9000 to US and that is $6000US
    Give a $1000 bucks because I got a great deal on the CC & you know the rest. MSRP is not the true cost of a vehicle; it is just a suggestion to the dealers. Some auto companyies try to allow more GP for their dealers than others, so some dealers have more room to play with prices. lflsd is probably right in his marketplace and maybe many others.
  • Options
    Yeah, I think keanec's right about the suspension. Maybe the truck in the article had different tires(but this would change the clearence)than the SE that I looked at. But the body is the same, the axles are the same so the the only way the ride hieght could be effected would be through the suspension or wheels/tires. I do know that according to the article that it was ride hieght not clearence that was changed. So through deduction if the 'pumpkin' wasn't different then the tires couldn't be smaller 'cause the clearence would change..be less. So for the ride hieght to change it would have to come from the suspension.
  • Options
    FST;
    Actually,I did answer, it has three, for the water pump, PS, alternator and AC, I haven't looked at it to see which one drives two, the other thing with the serpentine belt, is if the AC compressor goes out, clutch freezes, the belt will either break or loose tension, then the water pump, alternator and PS will go out too.
  • Options
    Have any of you guys(Nissan, because you ST guys don't need them) bought the Husky liners for your truck? I'm asking becuase I noticed that the floor is even with the door sill. I think the liners have a lip around them and I'm wondering if I'm going to be dragging my foot across this lip and constantly moving the liner. The reason I want to get them is because of how light the carpet is I can't believe they used this shade in a truck, my mats(well, the driver's side) are shot. So I wanted to maybe get these mats or liners before hunting season plus after I load the boat on the trailer and my shoes and feet are dripping from the saltwater I won't have to worry.
  • Options
    I hope I never have to replace them...let me rephrase that I feel for the NISSAN MECHANIC thet has to replace those. I'll take a serpentine belt over that mess any day. I was looking at it the other night when I was putting in the K&N filter. The only thing about the serpintine belt is making sure you get it in all of the groves correctly,but it only takes about 5 mins.
  • Options
    My take on this debate how many people keep on buying Explorer's so they must have good quality reliability is this: B.S.!!!

There are many reasons people buy vehicles, and every person uses different reasons for their purchase. My take on why Ford sells so many Explorers is a combination of many reasons; styling, functionality, price, variety, # of models and options, dealerships, company vehicles, etc.. All these things combined make the Explorer the best all round SUV out there. Notice I didn't mention quality/reliability? Many times it does not come into play in purchasers minds; Soccer mom's, Company lease managers (who, by the way have to buy American), RVers, and people like FordST (who has mentioned his reason's for the ST, and quality/reliability wasn't the main one) are concerned about the Utility and looks.

Now, I am not saying the Explorer has bad quality/reliability (I don't personally know!!!) just that people are buying it for other reasons first.

Another point is, Quality/Reliability has to have a comparison point. In other words, if you drove a 1995 Windstar and then bought a 1999 Windstar you are going to think the 1999 has great quality/reliability. The only problem is, your baseline is a vehicle that approached the first Hyundai Ponys in crappyness (if that is a word). So that same 1999 Windstar will get a high report card from former 1995 Windstar owners, but wouldn't do so well if a person owned a 1995 Accord/Camry and bought the 1999 Windstar.

To make a long post short - QUALITY/RELIABILITY is subjective compared to each persons past experiences. So if Consumers Reports polls 20000 Explorer owners and asked how would they rate is reliability (from 1-10) they are going to rate it based on their past vehicles (which are probably US made) and 20000 Nissan owners are going to rate it based on their previous vehicles (mostly Nissan). That is a problem with Consumer Reports, they don't have a baseline for comparisons.

I, personally, am not happy with ANYTHING going wrong with my vehicle; whether it is covered by warranty or not. That is why I put a lot of stock in the reliability of a vehicle; that is why I bought Nissan again - not because Ford was bad, but because Nissan is good; mostly.
This discussion has been closed.