Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Frontier Crew Cab vs Ford Explorer Sport Trac - II

Comments

• lflsdlflsd Posts: 5
    I'm not trying to justify my choice of Nissan by finding fault with Ford. I don't need to justify my decision to myself or anyone else. I considered an Explorer and decided on the Nissan CC for the following reasons: Price (at least $5,000 less for a similarly equipped vehicle); Ride Quality (if I'm going to get a vehicle that rides like a truck, I might as well get a truck. Actually the Nissan CC has a better ride than the Explorer) and finally Quality and Reliability (nuff said).
    I'm not bashing Ford. Owners of Ford Explorers are finding fault with Ford and voicing their displeasure on the various forums. I believe that a consumer should arm him(her)self with all available information before making such a large purchase.
  • You still haven't answered my belt question. How many belts and what do they drive.
  • Jezz I would have thought that lowering the suspension would be a bad thing. I forget who it was that posted when they were towing it hit the rubber stops and bottomed out a few times. Unless they beefed it up at the same time.
  • (at least $5,000 less for a similarly equipped vehicle)

Now thats stretching the truth. If you want to do some math we can compare Edmunds figures.
  • keaneckeanec Posts: 349
    That was me who posted about the truck hitting the stops when I am loaded up. I heard that Nissan re-engineered the suspension so they might have been able to lower it without effecting the suspension travel.

Go ahead and do the math; but - if the dealers don't want to deal on price with the ST - the "math" lflsd does works. In fact, I paid about $9000can (if not more) less for my CC than a somewhat comparably equiped ST (including taxes). Now convert the $9000 to US and that is $6000US
    Give a $1000 bucks because I got a great deal on the CC & you know the rest. MSRP is not the true cost of a vehicle; it is just a suggestion to the dealers. Some auto companyies try to allow more GP for their dealers than others, so some dealers have more room to play with prices. lflsd is probably right in his marketplace and maybe many others.
  • mahimahimahimahi Posts: 497
    Yeah, I think keanec's right about the suspension. Maybe the truck in the article had different tires(but this would change the clearence)than the SE that I looked at. But the body is the same, the axles are the same so the the only way the ride hieght could be effected would be through the suspension or wheels/tires. I do know that according to the article that it was ride hieght not clearence that was changed. So through deduction if the 'pumpkin' wasn't different then the tires couldn't be smaller 'cause the clearence would change..be less. So for the ride hieght to change it would have to come from the suspension.
  • cncmancncman Posts: 487
    FST;
    Actually,I did answer, it has three, for the water pump, PS, alternator and AC, I haven't looked at it to see which one drives two, the other thing with the serpentine belt, is if the AC compressor goes out, clutch freezes, the belt will either break or loose tension, then the water pump, alternator and PS will go out too.
    Have any of you guys(Nissan, because you ST guys don't need them) bought the Husky liners for your truck? I'm asking becuase I noticed that the floor is even with the door sill. I think the liners have a lip around them and I'm wondering if I'm going to be dragging my foot across this lip and constantly moving the liner. The reason I want to get them is because of how light the carpet is I can't believe they used this shade in a truck, my mats(well, the driver's side) are shot. So I wanted to maybe get these mats or liners before hunting season plus after I load the boat on the trailer and my shoes and feet are dripping from the saltwater I won't have to worry.
    I hope I never have to replace them...let me rephrase that I feel for the NISSAN MECHANIC thet has to replace those. I'll take a serpentine belt over that mess any day. I was looking at it the other night when I was putting in the K&N filter. The only thing about the serpintine belt is making sure you get it in all of the groves correctly,but it only takes about 5 mins.
    My take on this debate how many people keep on buying Explorer's so they must have good quality reliability is this: B.S.!!!

There are many reasons people buy vehicles, and every person uses different reasons for their purchase. My take on why Ford sells so many Explorers is a combination of many reasons; styling, functionality, price, variety, # of models and options, dealerships, company vehicles, etc.. All these things combined make the Explorer the best all round SUV out there. Notice I didn't mention quality/reliability? Many times it does not come into play in purchasers minds; Soccer mom's, Company lease managers (who, by the way have to buy American), RVers, and people like FordST (who has mentioned his reason's for the ST, and quality/reliability wasn't the main one) are concerned about the Utility and looks.

Now, I am not saying the Explorer has bad quality/reliability (I don't personally know!!!) just that people are buying it for other reasons first.

Another point is, Quality/Reliability has to have a comparison point. In other words, if you drove a 1995 Windstar and then bought a 1999 Windstar you are going to think the 1999 has great quality/reliability. The only problem is, your baseline is a vehicle that approached the first Hyundai Ponys in crappyness (if that is a word). So that same 1999 Windstar will get a high report card from former 1995 Windstar owners, but wouldn't do so well if a person owned a 1995 Accord/Camry and bought the 1999 Windstar.

To make a long post short - QUALITY/RELIABILITY is subjective compared to each persons past experiences. So if Consumers Reports polls 20000 Explorer owners and asked how would they rate is reliability (from 1-10) they are going to rate it based on their past vehicles (which are probably US made) and 20000 Nissan owners are going to rate it based on their previous vehicles (mostly Nissan). That is a problem with Consumer Reports, they don't have a baseline for comparisons.

I, personally, am not happy with ANYTHING going wrong with my vehicle; whether it is covered by warranty or not. That is why I put a lot of stock in the reliability of a vehicle; that is why I bought Nissan again - not because Ford was bad, but because Nissan is good; mostly.
    I have always bought Pantsaver mats. They work pretty well to stop the bottom of your pants from getting to wet; but they are made for snow, so i don't know if you can get/want them in Florida
  • steve234steve234 Posts: 460
    I hear a lot of noise about steering wheels falling off, no paint on sport tracs lower doors, etc. Since one of the Sporttrac owners here had the paint problem, I can assume that happened on some of them, but probably only a short run. I doubt the steering wheel as a major problem (probably happened once, if that) My premise is that people love to badmouth, especially if they bought a competing brand. And many will believe anything they are told. Look how many churches and organizations have boycotted some major corp. because some AH posted that the head of the company was on (blank) and swore allegiance to the devil. Never under estimate the gulibilty of the average person. Look how many democrats trust BC.
    Yeah I might be. I just want something that's going to protect the carpet. I don't really like the cheezy $79 mats that came with the truck(I didn't pay for them eventhough they tried!). I guess they are better than thick mats that would hold water. If you can get me some info maybe a website or namwe of the manufacturer I'll check it out. I like the new catch-all by niffty products website www.nifftyproducts.com I'm going to check out as many as I can. I had a friend get the Husky liner for the back of his Suburban it wasn't too bad I just don't really care for the 'diamond plate' look. Thanks for the info though.
    sorry too many f's www.niftyproducts.com I forgot it's too bad they don't make anything for Nissan yet :(
    Hey ST owners when are you guys going to post some pictures of your ride? I think I'm going to this weekend. We need more Nissans too! :)
  • dennisc2dennisc2 Posts: 10
    Don't even try to debate it, 65%+ of new car buyers are ignorant morons. They will buy a car on looks, status, or Made in America. "A lot of Explorers on the road, must be the thing to do".! Just like my co-worker whom has put $3,000 into the Tranny and A/C of his Explorer in the last 6 months. Not even enough common sense to shop around the price since it was out of warranty,
    Went straight to the dealer, talk about taking the Lamb to the slaughter !
    While my daughter was doing crafts, I happened to glance at the index page of Consumer Reports. What I saw was a brief lead in to an article that said "Nissan Pathfinder; Probably the only SUV that can be considered "reliable"...or something like that... That article went on to say that of all the suv'S available, the Pathfinder is the only one that can be considered reliable; except the 4runner, but it is much more expensive. The article was talking about good used vehicles to buy, specifically SUV's. It said, only the pathfinder had the quality/reliability in the SUV catr...except the 4 runner, which was cost prohibitive. Now, Vince likes to tell us that the Explorer is the best selling, but his "BIBLE", Consumer Reports, [non-permissible content removed] on his Explorer. Sorry Vince!

Actually, the same magazine did backup Vince's assertion that the Ranger was a good vehicle; as long as you didn't look at pre-1998. Funny thing....... almost every other vehicle I looked at in this magazine rated really well until you started to get to the pre-1998. So...initial quality is good; but reliablity (long-term) is a different story. They even rated the 1998-1999 Windstar as excellent; Right!!!!
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    You all keep going on and on about how bad Fords are. Yet the only answer I get is "Fords sell because of financing", "Fords sell because of rebates", Fords sell because of low interest rates", Fords sell because there are more dealers". This is bull.... All manufactures offer all the rebates, financing, whichever that Ford offers. Take a look at Edmunds or even in your paper for goodness sake.. As far as more dealers? Don't think so, There are plenty of Nissan/Toyota dealers in my area or within easy driving distances. Fact is Ford is doing things right and you guys just hate it!
  • goobagooba Posts: 391
    OK.Ford does all of that and does some things right.Now what?
    Looks like the ball's in your court Vince!
  • I'm still here and want to have that cost discussion but Im SWAMPED!!! So just a short note. to start things off.

How are you comparing the 2? Lets start with the sun roof.

Correct me if I'm wrong;
    For example, you can't compare the CC & ST if they have sun roofs. The ST is electric and the CC is manual. So that is not comparably equipped.

Lets try just the base CC and the Base ST with no add-ons and compare from that point. What is in the Base CC vs what is in the Base ST.

I appologize for kinda dumping this question when I should be answering it myself but I've got to get ready for a trade show and things are hopping here.
    By your reasoning,these 2 vehicles cannot be compared.I.E. The ST has an electric sliding rear window,the CC does not.The ST has a composite bed,the CC has a metal bed.The ST is based on a SUV,the CC is based on a truck.
    When I said the My Nissan was $thousands less for the same "comparable" ST, it was said tongue in cheek. In other words, the features were approx. the same. 16" tires, auto, sunroof, power acc., etc.. These features are different (power sunroof on ST, manual on CC, power rear window on ST, manual on CC, etc...)but the point is if I want a sunroof, it is x amount for the ST. Yes, you are getting a power sunroof, but I just want a sunroof.

What I was getting at, was to get an ST that has the minimum features of my CC 4x4 SE, you are going to pay much more... That is NOT to say you aren't getting EXTRAS with the ST at that price; better sunroof, bigger engine (bigger/heavier vehicle, power rear slider, and the ever popular rear power point for all those campers who are going to buy the ST - Joke, and etc..) BUT to get the minimum features of the CC you pay away more because of the "extras" Ford gives.

As to the base plain 4x4 w/4 doors, what is the ST listed at & what is the CC listed at? That would be the minimum you would have to pay to get a Ford 4x4 ST or a Nissan 4x4 CC. Then you would have to add any discounts/premiums dealers will give/charge. I think you would probably find the Nissan comes out much cheaper; granted you might not have as many extras, but you would have a 4x4 crew cab. Not I am not sure about this, it is just a guess...If I have time I will look up the base prices.
    Will someone please read the Truck Trend article comparing these two vehicles!!! The bull... about the CC being based on truck frame makes it a better offroader and towing vehicle is crap.. In fact the ST did better than the CC in offroad!@
    Please, Please read the article...
    Jealous aren't you? that your frame isn't complete. Hey, how's that 'weak band-aided', 160hp producing V-6 doing? I can't believe you did those cheap improvements to improve the intake performance but didn't band-aid the exhaust! LOL No wonder your truck looses power when you turn your A/C on!

Read on Kitty!
  • steve234steve234 Posts: 460
    Is what things are sounding like. "I have no back seat space, but I have a better quality ranking." "I paid much more money, but I get more options as standard equipment". Etc., etc.
    dennisc2: By your own argument, 65% of Nissan owners are ignorant morons. I would agree that there are a lot of them out there, but it is not brand specific. I used to be scared of little old ladies in cadillacs when I was biking, but now the scary ones are teenage girls in Honda Civics. They buy the car for its reputation and their spoiled little princes drives it like she is in her bedroom on the phone.
    vince8: They have read the article and do not care. Give it up. No one should judge a vehicle on someone else opinion anyway. Articles are good tools, but they do not rate dealers and they do not give the impression that you can only get from actual seat experience. Heck, my wife has a 93 Shadow. Lousy reputation, 120,000 miles and the only parts replaced has been the rear shocks and the rear hatch struts. I cannot stand the thing, but it fits her and all of our relatives amaze of how powerful the engine is compared to their Nissan/Saturn/Mercedes. It is not a black and white issue.
    mahi: On a long haul Sunday, I noticed several CCs in the Wichita area. Allwere the silver/grey color except one which was the bright yellow. Interesting, but it reminded me of an ODOT truck.
    Gooba's gonna kill me. Hehehehe, yeah it does look like a little DOT truck...When I first saw that Solar Yellow I thought "Oh my god imagine having to wash that thing every week" ;) But in the past six months I've actually warmed up to it and after I found out that you can only get that color in the V-6 models makes it even more unique. None of the 4x4 crew cabs I've seen were yellow only Dk. Grey, Silver and Black. Most of the crew cabs in my area have been either the silver or dk. grey too. I saw my third 4x4 crew cab, a black one yesterday. It's funny though when I do see a crew cab that is a 4x4 they don't seem to have the same equip. as mine they are either missing the 'rack' or no sunroof, I even saw one SE that had the XE rims.
    You guys are funny.You are correct they do look like DOT trucks.By the same token,they also look like Lifeguard trucks.
    We got the yellow because it was different,it was easy to spot in the parking garage,and for safety.We have alot of winter visitors in my town,and I figure they would not be able to have the excuse that they did not see me coming.If that is the case they are BLIND and need to be taken off the road. :-D
    vince,read the article.Ok.Now what?
    You know what gooba, you just don't want to repeat what they said about the CC vs the ST in the hauling and offroad face off...plain and simple the CC doesn't do that well... These are not opinions either. They loaded each truck EQUALLY, tested each truck EQUALLY over the same terrain.
    And this constant comment about 160HP, The Nissan only puts out 10HP more! Do you not understand what 10 HP means in relation to 160 or 170HP? This proves once again you don't know anything about what a HP/Torque curve is! I see you fail to mention the huge Torque gap of Nissan at 200ft/lbs and the Ranger at 225ft/lbs.. I wonder why???....
This discussion has been closed.